7.5

1. LeonN.
    Jan 7, 2009
    I've been a big fan of Star Ocean since I played SO2 on PSX, and I've been waiting for this remake for years...and it didn't dissapoint me at all! This game is for me the best RPG on PSP released to date...I finished it in 3 days, cuz I couldn't stop playing it everywhere. The story is great and fun, the characters are charismatic and completely different from each I've been a big fan of Star Ocean since I played SO2 on PSX, and I've been waiting for this remake for years...and it didn't dissapoint me at all! This game is for me the best RPG on PSP released to date...I finished it in 3 days, cuz I couldn't stop playing it everywhere. The story is great and fun, the characters are charismatic and completely different from each other, the battles are quick, easy and entertaining, you can change some parts of the story according to your actions and choices, and the classic graphics are not bad at all! Definetely the best! Expand
  2. PeterK
    Nov 4, 2008
    I wasn't expecting much out of this game when I put my reserve on it at GameStop. A two weeks after picking it up, I'm starting to play it and I am surprised at how much I like it. The gameplay is that of an old classic PS1 RPG, but it adds some nice features like voices for the characters, so you don't have to read everything. The story is very interesting although it is I wasn't expecting much out of this game when I put my reserve on it at GameStop. A two weeks after picking it up, I'm starting to play it and I am surprised at how much I like it. The gameplay is that of an old classic PS1 RPG, but it adds some nice features like voices for the characters, so you don't have to read everything. The story is very interesting although it is very linear. I can't wait until the next Star Ocean title for the PSP coming out in January, and the Star Ocean that's coming out for Xbox 360 in March! Expand
  3. JaretW.
    Jan 14, 2009
    Very good game, a lot was put into this game that wasn't in the original, and makes the game feel polished. Surprisingly good voice acting, and anime style cut scenes really help the story telling along. In my opinion the best RPG on the PSP right now.
  4. RobbieJ.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Absolutely spectacular. I had never played the original game, so this was entirely new to me and I loved every bit of it. The voice work was above standard, the story was great, and the music was memorable. I wholeheartedly recommend this to PSP owners looking for a good RPG. The Production IG anime cutscenes really add a nice touch to the whole experience too.
  5. ChrisR.
    Jan 27, 2009
    I don't understand the negative reviews... the combat is fun, good skill development, graphics are GOOD! Try comparing SO1 to one of the Dragon Quest remakes, trust me, you won't complain about SO graphics again. So far I'm enjoying the story as well. What's not to like?
  6. J2DK
    Apr 3, 2009
    The battle system and relatively large cast of characters make this game great or replays. I would rate this game higher if the bonus dungeon were longer and if it had more difficulty levels like other Star Ocean games. The GameDaily reviewer that gives this game a 60 because "turn-based battles are simplistic, repetitive, and random" didn't even bother playing the game. If he played The battle system and relatively large cast of characters make this game great or replays. I would rate this game higher if the bonus dungeon were longer and if it had more difficulty levels like other Star Ocean games. The GameDaily reviewer that gives this game a 60 because "turn-based battles are simplistic, repetitive, and random" didn't even bother playing the game. If he played just one battle, he would know that this is an action RPG with a fully active battle system and nowhere near a turn-based RPG. Expand
  7. Nov 19, 2011
    Fans of Squareenix is given another gift from the company as in the form of the Star Ocean series, the cult classic from the SNES era comes back fully remade with new remixes and a few new additions that were not seen in the original game. The audio improved, gameplay tuned and the graphics incredible for a 2D game, fans will surely be remembering this classic for years!
  8. Jul 16, 2012
    A well done remake of the first Star Ocean game. The battle system is great and it makes the game play fun. The story is pretty good and this game even has a multitude of optional characters making it fun to play several times. The only down side of the many optional characters is that it's hard to become emotionally attached to some of the characters. Overall Star Ocean: First DepartureA well done remake of the first Star Ocean game. The battle system is great and it makes the game play fun. The story is pretty good and this game even has a multitude of optional characters making it fun to play several times. The only down side of the many optional characters is that it's hard to become emotionally attached to some of the characters. Overall Star Ocean: First Departure is a very enjoyable game. Expand

1. Even so, First Departure has transitioned so smoothly to the PSP that it's definitely worth playing if you're curious about Star Ocean's origins or if you're itching for a charming and portable classic RPG. [Nov 2008, p.80]
    All in all, Star Ovean: First Departure has aged very well, and remains a unique and innovative RPG full of life and personality. [Nov 2008, p.104]
    If you can look at First Departure and understand that it's based on a very old title, you'll likely be able to overlook the problems and get a fair amount of satisfaction from the simple but mildly rewarding gameplay and old-school themes. Otherwise, a bland, awkwardly told narrative and weak characters prevent Star Ocean from being anything more than an amusing tribute to an old hit.