8.5

1. Mar 3, 2017
    Everywhere new things to discover, amazing story and "wunderschöne" graphic
    thx nintendo
    This can be the best game ever if the DLC are the last 2 Prozent
  2. Mar 13, 2017
    A lot of what needs to be said has already been said but wanted to reinforce some of the faults (mainly so that we don't see a game like this again in Zelda series).

Pros: • Combat, for those that enjoy twitchy dodge and parry soulsborne mechanics (like me) you can basically dominate this game and it feels very rewarding. • Graphics are beautiful. Normally don't like this sort of art

Pros:
    • Graphics are beautiful. Normally don't like this sort of art style but its very suiting to the game.
    • Exploration. You can climb/traverse practically anything in the game. Perilous path on your way to that tower? Stock up on stam pots and climb the mountain up instead.

Cons:
    • Story and characters feel very shallow. Main story characters are very underdeveloped which leaves you wanting for more. How can you expect players to like any of the characters when you give them only 10 lines.
    • Music is very underwhelming for a Zelda game
    • Waiting times are ridiculous. Upgrading a piece of armor? watch cutscene. Discover shrine? Cutscene. Cooking food? cutscene. Korok seed? Cutscene. Wouldn't be complaining except you have to do it so many times it gets obnoxious.
    • Everything just seem so repetitive. The 4 main dungeons are basically giant puzzles. The bosses are practically the same, shoot the eye, get in for damage, repeat with 1 or 2 minor new gimmicks. The champion stories are practically identical, there's an king and an underling, somehow related to the champions of old. It just seems lazy. Majority of side quests are your run of the mill "fetch my sister a baked apple" or help us kill these boars. Monsters are basically copy pasta with new skins.
    • Performance. Not that we didn't already expect this given the specs on both the Switch and Wii U. It's frequent enough to actually ruin immersion (straight up freezes at certain parts).
  3. Apr 16, 2017
    Combat: Shallower than other 3D Zeldas like Twilight Princess which introduced some fancier attacks, or Skyward Sword that let you have full 1:1 control of the sword. This plays like a dumbed down version of Dark Souls. Very few combo or attack strings per weapon, very little enemy variety, mostly recolors. All the weapons breaking is a pain in the ass and means you constantly have toCombat: Shallower than other 3D Zeldas like Twilight Princess which introduced some fancier attacks, or Skyward Sword that let you have full 1:1 control of the sword. This plays like a dumbed down version of Dark Souls. Very few combo or attack strings per weapon, very little enemy variety, mostly recolors. All the weapons breaking is a pain in the ass and means you constantly have to switch weapons, as all loot in the game is rewarded for side quests you're essentially doing these quests only to get consumable items that make no long term impact on the game.

Story: Non-existent, you get cutscenes of Zelda giving expository dialogue and everything else is indirect and/or unexplained because it's too deep for you I guess. The Zelda game could not boast to have the best of storylines, but they at least tried, this game is well below the mark for the series. It's very disappointing how they handled Ganon in this game. The ancient evil has awakened! For what is meant to be a "modernizing" game in the series, they reduce the story back to the basic level it was in Zelda 1.

World: It's very big yes, but in terms of what there is to do, this game has essentially 3 or 4 dungeons depending on how you count them, compared to 7-8 at bare minimum for all the other 3D Zelda games. Besides these disappointing dungeons, the game spams shrines. Shrines are very very short versions of a dungeon that all look the same but have different physics puzzles where you throw balls into cups or make balls go around a bend or maze suspended in the air. You also can go open world "seed" side quests where you have to run up a hill really fast, throw boulders/balls into cups in the ground/ocean, the kind of thing you'd do in Assassin's Creed.

Music: Indefensibly bad compared to previous 3D Zeldas. There is mostly no music for the majority of the game, and what music there is just isn't very good. While not as bad as the New LA theme in Xenoblade X, this is not outright bad music, it's not going to be anything that people listen to for years like the themes from previous Zelda games. I can't say it's too surprising given the general design of the game when there's very little to really get inspiration from for a theme, there's barely any character or boss themes.

Of special note is the terrible voice acting in this game that may as well fall under the music banner. The voice acting is horrendously bad and this is the first time they have tried to do voice acting in a Zelda game. Zelda herself sounds like a stereotypical British woman and her delivery is extremely wooden. Most characters/NPCs still don't talk anyway, and a Zelda game with random, bad voice acting frankly breaks the immersion, if everything else not feeling like Zelda didn't do that already.

Graphics: It looks nice but does it really compare to other recent open world games that it is obviously heavily inspired by? Compare it to FFXV or MGS5, two other recent Japanese attempts at doing an open world Elder Scrolls type game, they look much better. This may be because Nintendo is working on Wii U development at the same time and the Switch hardware is new, but do not expect to be blown away by the graphics in this game. The art style is different but can't help but feel it looks a lot more bloom-y and oversaturated than even Skyward Sword, I have a personal preference for the N64/TP's art style but this style honestly doesn't even do the style as many favors as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. The frame rate drops constantly to the point of being unplayable.

In conclusion I am not a hater of this game and I do not care about whatever console wars are going on with the user score here, this game is offensively bad to me as a fan of the series since for decades. This is no longer Zelda, it's just Nintendo trying to cash in on the latest trends of open world Western games. Didn't work for Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid either and this game will lose its shiny critical acclaim soon enough when people look beyond the shallow "big open world" that clearly got all the focus in development.
  4. Mar 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm honestly very disappointed in this game, and the Zelda community in general. First let's start with the community. I have never seen such "fanboyism" over a title before. I understand that people have their own personal opinions on the game, and that is totally fine by me. If you think this game is a 10/10 masterpiece, then by all means, enjoy the hell out of it! What bothers me is the communities need to belittle or trivialize the negative reviews as just being the symptom of "switch jealousy" or having some vendetta against Nintendo. I can assure you that this is not the case with me, and that I sincerely hoped that BOTW would be an amazing title in the Zelda franchise.

Unfortunately, I have been severely disappointed in this hope, and here's why:

-The World: While extremely vast the world has an empty and repetitive feel to it. Many of the areas feel barren and void of character, like they were simply added make the game feel bigger, without adding any actual enjoyment or discovery value to the game. There is a shockingly small amount of enemies scattered throughout the game as well, and you will often run into the same enemies over and over again, with out a slight change to their coloring or weapon they are armed with.

-Dungeons: The dungeons in this game are a joke, plain and simple. First you have the shrines, which technically aren't "dungeons" but serve a similar purpose in the game. They are meant to be challenging puzzle rooms much like you would find in previous installments of the series. Key word here is "meant; because they are so brain numbingly easy that they quickly become stale. On top of that, they are almost all identical (outside of their puzzle content). They all share the same music, aesthetic look, dialogue, and end goal of receiving a spirit orb from the shrine guardian. I found myself bored after the first 10 or so shrines, and was dejected that I had to go through the same experience another 100 times in order to complete them all.

The main dungeons- Vah Medoh, Vah Naboris, Vah Rudania, Vah Ruta, and Hyrule Castle play like a larger version of the shrines. While they do have their own art styles to set them apart, the puzzles contained within are very uninspired and easy to solve. I felt no challenge what so ever finding my way through these. On top of that, all of the dungeon bosses feel the same. Shoot a weak spot with arrows, then attack when they are weak.

The Music: The music in this game is terrible. Whoever had the idea to go with "minimalist jazzy" type of music for the game should be fired. It totally ruins the game in many areas. The Hyrule field and combat music were especially annoying to me, and became part of the game I hated after having to listen to them enough. Some of the village music, Kakariko Village especially, were good,but this was not enough for me to forgive the otherwise terrible choice of music for most of the other locations.

Questing- All I can say is boring.. Whether is was collecting korok seeds or doing the mainline quests, the entire system seemed uninspired and boring to me. Much like the shrines; quest just felt like a tedious grind after awhile.

Performance- The game could be quite beautiful and striking sometimes, but often times it looked like a past generation title. On top of this, the performance is often abysmal, with fps dropping to below 20 for extended periods of time. This is simply unexceptionable for a AAA title like this, made by a company like Nintendo! On top of that, the game only supports 900p resolution, which is just insane for any game made in 2016-2017.

Final Verdict: If all you care about is exploring a vast world set in the Zelda universe, then you may enjoy this title.; but if you are like me and are hoping for depth and innovation, I don't believe you will find it in BOTW.

Sincerely,

A dejected Zelda Fan
  5. Mar 13, 2017
    900p/30fps on dock, has problems staying at 30fps while docked, runs fine in handled, but feels very clunky either way. not what I was hoping for from a zelda game.
  6. Mar 13, 2017
    In response to Boogie2988, I should have been more clear in my definition of open world. I consider this game to be a good start into the modern genre of open world games. I also find that your reviews are just as bad as mine. Thanks for cutting out a majority of my review.

Pros • Unique hot and cold mechanic • Interesting flow of motion between paraglider, shield surfing, and

Pros
    • Unique hot and cold mechanic
    • Interesting flow of motion between paraglider, shield surfing, and climbing.
    • Voice acting but only sparingly.
    • Fun photo documenting mechanic

Cons
    • Long loading screens and wait times. Numerous long animations that should be skippable. Such as the drop on the Sheikah Slate and others. A quarter of my time with the game is just waiting.
    • Consistent frame dips and even freezes at times.
    • The world is boring. Each region is exactly the same with a color swap and monsters sprinkled throughout. The Sheikah architecture looks ugly and all the dungeons feel the same.
    • weapons are made of paper that break after a few hits. Resulting in annoying weapon management process
    • Locking on monsters is a pain
    • There is no way to gauge how much damage a monster is going to do. You can expect large monsters to hurt, but then sometimes random lower tier monsters can delete your health bar.
    • Tedious cooking process.
    • insanely high monster tracking. Attacks are very difficult to dodge resulting in an experience that feels unfair.
    • The entire experience feels tedious. Climb tower (which takes forever), go through repetitive dungeons, run around in the barren landscape, and repeat until you beat the game. It just feels like they are trying to make the experience longer for the sake of making it longer.
    • The combat is mindless hack and slashing.
    • The Sheikah power ups just feel gimmicky.

You would be far better off playing a game with real combat like Dark Souls or an interesting open world like Witcher or an interesting story like Bioshock. This game would never reach such high ratings if it didn't have the Zelda brand.
  7. Mar 4, 2017
    THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT

It is insanity to me that people can play this game and give it a perfect 10/10 score when the most important element a video game should have is missing: FUN Simply put, this game is not fun. It is beautiful, it is breathtaking, it is large. Beyond large. So large it is breathtaking. But it is not fun. As a die hard Zelda fan since birth it baffles me that
    THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT

As a die hard Zelda fan since birth it baffles me that people are too blindsided by the massiveness of the world in this game to see how bland and obnoxiously tedious every second of the game is. Let me explain why this game broke my heart into a million different pieces which I won't be able to pick up off the floor because this game no longer features heart pieces.

- Initial reaction:
    Breath of the Wild was made for the Wii U. The concept of having the wii motion plus as a swinging sword in Skyward Sword was swapped for the concept of having a gamepad in front of you to act as your menu, your map, and to feature inventive ways of using items throughout the game. All of this was utilized when Nintendo designed Wind Waker HD for the Wii U. And all of this was scrapped for Breath of the Wild when Nintendo decided to have it released alongside the Nintendo Switch which doesn't offer a touch screen gamepad. So we were forced to wait an extra year and a half for a game to be dumbed down from it's original design. Within the first 5 minutes of playing this struck me as a huge let down but I knew the game would be so epic this major set back wouldn't matter. I was wrong.

- Gameplay:
    Nearly every tried and true mechanic from the Zelda genre has been swapped out to fit what Nintendo clearly thinks of as "Mature" gaming mechanics. Instead of having a sword and shield you can upgrade you now have a plethora of weapons to loot off enemies which break after a very short usage... It's like being punished for playing the game. Even the Master Sword breaks.
    Link runs along with a stamina bar like he did in Skyward Sword. In fact he plays much like the Link in Skyward Sword except he's now in a world 800x the size meaning he is unbearably slow. Like snail dragging in quick sand kind of slow. The world is massive and you want to be able to scale every mountain, which you are forced to do at an unbelievably slow pace. The world also is not fun to explore. It's pretty to explore, but there is nothing to do that is actually fun because fighting, traveling, and item usage are all boring.

+ Graphics:
    Amazing. It's beautiful and there are no load times for anything. However there is a constant stutter and frame rate whenever you're around moving objects... Like grass. Grass is everywhere, by the way. So the game almost feels like a Sega Saturn game and the disc is skipping. Again, HOW can you give a game a perfect score when it just IS NOT PERFECT!?

- Sound:
    The absolute worst feature of the game. Did they even make a score to this game? There seems to be a slight patter of piano in the distance behind you which plays softly among the never ending clatter of your weapon hitting your shield. The painful sound of Link walking is only comparable to water boarding. They added voice actors which is cool except the American actors sound extremely cheesy and amateur and there is no switching to Japanese voice acting, which if you've seen the Japanese trailer you know is amazing. And if you thought the sound effect of having one heart remaining in previous Zeldas was bad it's nothing compared to the sound effect of when you're near a shrine. Which is all the time.

- Overall
    Speaking of shrines, there are no longer dungeons. There are shrines. 100's of them and they all have the same skin and are kind of like one puzzle you would find in a typical Zelda dungeon. You have to solve 4 of them, and then go to a goddess statue to have her give you more stamina or a heart container. YEP, there are NO heart pieces in this game! However there is an endless supply of food, materials, bugs, animals to kill, and a bunch of other things that the Zelda world did not need. There are 4 bigger shrines which are all very similar and probably the best part of the game.
    In general this game is just a giant middle finger to anyone who loves Nintendo and specifically the Zelda franchise. I'm convinced these perfect score reviews are all hired interns with Nintendo to ensure their stock doesn't plummet farther than it already has. And I hate saying this about Nintendo, I honestly LOVE NINTENDO. Sadly, these reviews mean the Zelda franchise will keep these horrendous changes, so thanks to all of you who made it impossible for us to ever have another Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker!!!
  8. Mar 3, 2017
    Be wary of people giving this game a high score. They just might be trying to sell you on something.

Things it did right: + Huge world with lots of little details, probably where Nintendo spent most of their time in development + The go-anywhere-and-possibly-be-undergeared motif of LoZ1 was translated to a 3D game alright enough + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to

Things it did right:
    + Made the mastersword rely on heart containers to acquire it, much like the White Sword or Magical Sword from LoZ1. Probably the only specific callback to LoZ1 that translated "perfectly".

Things it tried:
    • Redesigned many characters, going as far as never giving Link a hat in promotional art and changing his iconic color from green to blue, or Ganon who is now a demon spider instead of a pig, only a pig in spirit. Moblins were turned into weird long snouted lanky unicorn pigmonsters, Hinox were turned into somewhat-more-generic Giants losing their iconic(?) Bomb-throwing attacks.
    • Tried voice acting but traded player-freedom of naming their character so spoken lines could needlessly refer to you as "Link".
    • The go-anywhere-model of LoZ1 lost almost all likeness to most other Zelda games because of the way it was implemented. In order to go anywhere and do anything from the start of the game, the player unfortunately gets all their tools at the start of the game so no proper dungeons with proper treasures or item equipment that would otherwise lock one player from accessing things another player could gated via game progress- which also isn't necessarily even "true" to how LoZ1 accomplished it.

Things it did wrong:
    - Traded the sweeping and catchy good music of traditional Zelda design even going as far back as the original LoZ1 for lighter, emptier, less-frequent ambient sounds to adapt to the world's environment of "musical" cues and reliance on things like stealth. As an original game this might have worked, but the tradeoff meaning no great "Zelda music" as many expect from the franchise doesn't work to a benefit. The weaker audio design fits their game design, but the weaker audio design of their game design doesn't fit "Zelda".
    - From a series known for streamlined access to health replenishment via bottles full of potions and frequent floating hearts, placing all healing behind food collection and menu access gets in the way of player intention within the world and only serves to distract the player or otherwise pad the adventure with unnecessary filler. Trivial for a series that virtually invented the concept behind the Estus Flask from the Souls games. Such an estus-flask-like method of healing would have more accurately emulated the streamlined healing of past Zelda games while still allowing them to get away from hearts in bushes and pots.
    - Related to food collection, the game design around killing simple non-zelda scenery animals unrelated to the variety of Zelda enemies for various Raw Meat items is woefully unnecessary and out-of-place for any Zelda game much less any Nintendo game. This concept was so poorly implemented to even include killing foxes and wolves for meat, in our modern society where both have been domesticated as pets or otherwise crossbred with domestic dogs to produce canines that look identical to their wild counterparts. Whether the player has the intent or not to harm them, they can be killed by enemies anyway. "Eating dog meat" is a gut-wrenching phrase I never imagined would describe an action in any videogame much less one from Nintendo, and has forever irreparably damaged my otherwise flawless opinion of the franchise and its creators.
    - No actual sprawling dungeons from a series known for it's sprawling dungeons is a weakpoint. The shrines, although numerous and fairly uniquely designed in terms of their puzzles, unfortunately still manage to all look identical and don't offer the same expected gameplay layout or scenic/regional design as cohesive interconnected hallways and rooms from traditional dungeons in other Zelda games. Even the four Divine Beasts operate more like "slightly larger shrines" than something remotely close to being considered a true "dungeon", with Hyrule Castle being the only "true" dungeon.
    - Enemy variety compared to past Zelda games and even many modern games is staggeringly low. All enemies and bosses counted, there are only 23 different monsters that are copied-pasted-and-recolored or given a slightly different weapon or elemental attribute to create the majority of Breath of the Wild's "variety". Even going back to Ocarina of Time, there were 46 unique enemies and bosses counted together, not including recolored or reskinned variations; and of course each mainline Zelda game since Ocarina and before Breath of the Wild has had virtually the same variety if not more. There are actually more background scenery animal species in this game than unique enemies, meaning the only true visual variety that exists is in the scenery itself - a negative only because enemy combat is a necessity.
  9. Mar 9, 2017
    Oh Breath of the Wild, you had so much potential, where should I start…

-The Good- • Graphics: Although the graphics are stylized which is usually something I dislike greatly, they actually pulled it off well in Breath of the Wild, it makes for a very beautiful game. • Wildlife: The wildlife is actually quite a bit of fun to hunt. • Voice Acting: There is actually voice acting, not
    Oh Breath of the Wild, you had so much potential, where should I start…

-The Good-
    • Wildlife: The wildlife is actually quite a bit of fun to hunt.
    • Voice Acting: There is actually voice acting, not much of it, but what little there was I did like it.
    • Tutorial: Tutorial was unobtrusive, which was a nice change of pace after Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

-The Bad-
    • UI: The UI is painful at best, they tried to set up a sort of quick weapon switch menu, but it just doesn’t feel natural to use. The main UI is pretty much standard, nothing amazing but nothing super bad either.
    • Weapons: Weapons break way to easy, it only makes the issues with the UI more noticeable because you have to keep opening it to assign your next weapon or shield.
    • Climbing: At first I thought this was pretty sweet, you can climb almost everything, but quickly the slow climbing speed got very annoying. You can jump to speed it up but it takes huge chunks out of your stamina and once that runs out you fall back down.
    • Swimming: Swimming suffers from the same issue climbing does, it’s too slow and you drown when you are out of stamina, luckily you don’t have to do it all that much.
    • Horse Riding: There is just something wrong with the controls here, it’s like half the time the horse doesn’t want to turn the way you want it to go.
    • Hyrule: Hyrule is massive with lots of area to explore; however, there simply isn’t much in it. It seems very empty. And in the end it ends up making the story events too spread out which quick starts making it boring.
    • Music: What music? Half the time it’s just silence filled with the clanking of your equipment.
    • Story: There is a little time bit of story, but it’s very tiny.
    • Shrines: Oh please no… No more, the first 3 shrines were okay, I totally expected real dungeons to show up after that figuring it was just the tutorial, but alas that isn’t the case. There are just more shrines, all of which share the same interior design of the other shrines.
    • History and Lore: Well, unless you count the machines that came out of nowhere there really is none.
    • Performance: I had many instances where the game stuttered or ran super slow on my Wii U, beings I paid the same amount as the Switch version I’d expect it to run just as well, it did not.

In the end I didn’t really feel like this was a Zelda game, it felt more like they slapped Skyrim and Assassins Creed together and went for a very minimal story and worse climbing mechanics. The things the game did well are all done better by other games, and the things it did wrong it did horribly wrong.
  10. Mar 5, 2017
    This game is definitely not what critics said it was... this is not a masterpiece... this is just an open world clone game with nice cartoon graphics... they compare it with The Witcher 3? Really? Complete nonsense... this is not even a good open world game, after 15 hours waiting to see if it got better I just took it to the shop and asked for a refund of both my switch and the ZeldaThis game is definitely not what critics said it was... this is not a masterpiece... this is just an open world clone game with nice cartoon graphics... they compare it with The Witcher 3? Really? Complete nonsense... this is not even a good open world game, after 15 hours waiting to see if it got better I just took it to the shop and asked for a refund of both my switch and the Zelda game... not worth it. Almost no story, almost no different kind of enemies and almost no variety of quests. Bleh. Expand
  11. Mar 5, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the worst Zelda game I've ever played, but undeniably the most disappointing one to date. This game was severely overhyped, and for all the praising of the "boundless world" (as someone who grew up playing classic MMORPG's like WoW, I'm not impressed by this world size), the game suffers from serious crippling flaws. From the very moment they announced that weapons would break within the game, I knew this game was going to be overly convoluted with the survival mechanics, and lo and behold! -- these are the most convoluted survival mechanics I've ever experienced in any game, and I am beyond disappointed that it had to be in a Zelda game.

I thought I hated Skyward Sword because of the breakable shields and the stamina gauge, but Breath of the Wild plunges it to a whole new level of absolute loathing. Oh, and apparently the Hylian Shield can break according to some players, but it's still the best shield and easier to get than in Skyward Sword. That, however, is no consolation for all of the other excruciating survival mechanics, like the stamina wheel. Link can't swim. Okay, he can swim until his stamina wheel runs out, and then he drowns. I can tread water and float for over an hour before getting tired, and Link is considerably more fit than I am, and he can't even swim for more than a minute before just drowning. Here I thought the point of immersion was to be, well, immersive, but that couldn't be farther from immersive (it's more of submersion, really).

Then there's lighting... Eiji Aonuma evidently assumed that because metal conducts electricity, that lightning would be attracted to random metal objects -- I think he needs to consult a middle school physics teacher. The ELECTRONS in the clouds and the ground are attracted to each other via an electrical field, and the resulting attraction between these electrons is lightning, and lightning will channel through the tallest object within the electrical field to make that connection -- whether it conducts electricity or not. This is why lightning strikes trees and skyscrapers need lightning rods.

However, the biggest and most infuriating disappointment is the cooldown on the Master Sword. Yes, the Master Sword has a cooldown. You can use it for so long before it needs to "recharge" for 10 minutes. That was my one hope, that the Master Sword would be a permanent, unbreakable, no-conditions-attached, weapon, and it isn't. The Master Sword isn't even the strongest weapon, it only has a base damage of 30 and gets boosted to 60 only in Hyrule Castle. Also, what was with that bit about it being rusted? Never explained, and the narrative only serves to leave more questions.

The story... Instead of having a good story, driven by compelling characters and a sequential plot, like Skyward Sword, the players must take Link to random places in Hyrule to flashback memories from his time with Zelda, and that's the narrative. Very, very underwhelming. You don't get to interact with these characters. You just get to watch them do things in the past very briefly, and accessing these memories is incredibly hard, and it's very difficult to try and do them in sequential order. The narrative would have been far better if the player had actually interacted in these scenarios -- not flashbacks.

As I said, this isn't the worst Zelda game, but it is the most disappointing, and I can only pray that Eiji Aonuma learns from his serious mistakes. After this, I'm not sure I want him working on another Zelda title, ever again.
  12. Mar 6, 2017
    90% of people will never replay breath of the wild.
    90% of people will never replay breath of the wild.
    The game is designed around dumping all your time into a single play file thanks to how slow the accumulation of anything works. Theres no second quest, the enemy variety is **** like the only thing you have going for it is "the world is big and i wanna see every inch of it" which is absolutely no different than any other open world game ever. Unfortunately the gameplay options and variety isn't there to carry you all the way.

Its Minecraft survival without crafting, world building, world destruction, or a random world and fresh world every time you play. And I don't even like Minecraft, i'm just sayin this Hyrule is going to get old fast because the world itself is the only thing that got a lot of attention in development. There are re-used assets everywhere, from multiple recolored/reskinned variations of enemies to even there functionally being 6 or 7 different kinds of weapons in the game that were negligently forced into strict attack sets of shortsword, longsword or spear. Reused animations, reused monsters, reused assets everywhere. Even the mastersword explodes into blue dust like every other destructable weapon despite its plot mechanic of "running out of energy" to be returned to your inventory rendered useless for 20 minutes.

The game is as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.
  13. Mar 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has several major flaws. The final boss is too easy to defeat and can be reached without defeating the 4 main bosses. The number of bosses is half of the amount in previous Zelda games-- 4 beast bosses in the current game compared to 7-8 bosses of older Zelda games. The frame rate drops to staggering levels very often. The overall color of the game and environment is pale and there is lots of glare.

The final boss and ending were disappointing. There was no dialogue-- both Link and Gannon were mute. The final form of Gannon, when defeated, did not explode after an animation build up . Symbolic to an anticlimactic ending, the defeated Gannon merely vanished and faded. This felt conflicting and inadequate.
  14. Mar 14, 2017
    Not a fan of the weapon durability mechanic. Didn't like how the pace of the game was brought to a halt by the puzzle dungeons. I put the game in the same category as the letdowns that were Skyward Sword, the Wind Waker series games, and the DREADFUL Majora's Mask.
  15. Apr 7, 2017
    After finishing the new Zelda, a game that I've been waiting for so long, my feelings about it are mixed.
    I guess one could call it: "Bittersweet symphony".
    It's undoubtedly extremely artistic and beautiful, with very nice new additions and a great looking vast world, hidden with all types of wonders. The weather effects are extremely atmospheric and voice additions are great. However,
    I guess one could call it: "Bittersweet symphony".
    However, I found its main scenario short and flat. Many of the old mechanics (temples, farming, mystery items and classic small details) are missing and the silence of their absence to an old school hardcore Zelda fan like me is deafening.
    I am generally very light and forgiving with technical details and graphics, but either the game or the console itself has serious technical issues at some points, which leaves me wondering: "how on earth did those 'game bricks' went through the quality assurance process?". I will not talk about areas where the framerate drops to 10-15 per sec, because I forgive it, with a light heart. Were they in such a big rush to push the game out? We waited 3 more years for it, a few more months wouldn't have made any difference.
    The music is generally not noticeable. With the exceptions of some big moments. But nothing to be carved in your memory like the old Zelda game
    I'm sorry but, if I have to compare it with its own predecessors, like the ocarina of time, wind waker, twilight princess, this new installment will not do. It has been measured... and found wanting.
    Sadly, even though insanely artistic and pretty, it's my personal belief that "Breath of the wild" is a lesser son of greater sires.
  16. Mar 4, 2017
    Overhyped. No feature or mechanic in this game isn't a rip from the myriad of open world action RPGs that most Nintendo fanboys would mock years ago. Now the same outdated mechanics are given a Zelda skin and it's a new chapter in video games? Much like the newest Metal Gear, or FFXV, this will get great reviews at first, and when people really play it the truth will be known. EveryoneOverhyped. No feature or mechanic in this game isn't a rip from the myriad of open world action RPGs that most Nintendo fanboys would mock years ago. Now the same outdated mechanics are given a Zelda skin and it's a new chapter in video games? Much like the newest Metal Gear, or FFXV, this will get great reviews at first, and when people really play it the truth will be known. Everyone loved the Star Wars Prequels, until they didn't. Terrible voice acting as well, shouldn't have even bothered for the cutscenes. i was bored of this after only a few hours. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2017
    This game runs like trash on both Wii U and Switch. It's 2017 and having a 30fps game is bad enough, but when the frames routinely drop below 20 you have a serious problem. This is all despite the fact that the visuals are already incredibly simplistic and look like they could easily be from a game released in 2006. It's pretty amazing that Nintendo refuses to join up with modernThis game runs like trash on both Wii U and Switch. It's 2017 and having a 30fps game is bad enough, but when the frames routinely drop below 20 you have a serious problem. This is all despite the fact that the visuals are already incredibly simplistic and look like they could easily be from a game released in 2006. It's pretty amazing that Nintendo refuses to join up with modern technology.

This game is basically Skyrim-lite. There are very few outfits/armor to collect, leading you to running around a world and visiting shrines fruitlessly. It's fun at first but fatigue and repetition set in quickly once you realize the only reason to continue grinding shrines is to get an upgrade to health or stamina. That's it, there's no skills to level, or other perks. Just those two. Character customization depth goes out the window.

What's worse is Nintendo decided to lock several iconic armor sets behind Amiibo microtransaction paywalls. Even though they are in the game you can't unlock them unless you go out and buy several $10-$30 toys, assuming you can even find them. Companies like Capcom get torn apart for egregious locked-out content like this, yet Nintendo once again gets a free pass, because Zelda apparently.

Your horse Epona and Wolf link are also locked behind Amiibo figures. Good luck getting those without spending money on toys.

These 10/10 reviews are laughable and truly show just how much credibility all these "journalists" have. They should be critiquing a game without bias. There's no way this game is close to being perfect, and if it wasn't a Zelda game it would have a MUCH lower score. Journalists should be reliable for an objective review and critique of a game and instead they let their own fandom get in the way of being honest with their readers.

I wonder how many more years Nintendo can survive based on this incredible blind loyalty. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  18. Mar 4, 2017
    The game is really basic and underwhelming from what you would expect from 2017 game for 50 pounds.
    Sure there are some nice features, some interesting spells as well, but that is not really a game changing aspects of it. Sure you we could ride a horses, and the horses are really nice made, but eh you guess it, other games also have nice made horses...
    The world is huge, too bad its
    The world is huge, too bad its empty, and stuff renders really close to us, fog is also annoying and almost taking all the joy from the open world. There are also really few dungeons to play in, and almost all of them have the same bosses.
    As that being said, there are really few enemies you fight against, most of them are just recolors, the AI of the enemies is non existent, sometimes they could kill themselves when fighting on a hills...
    The animations are really hard to describe, sometimes they are as smooth as a silk sheet on the other time are clunky as hell and characters teleport their limbs around, this feels really weird. The amount of fighting moves is not high either.
    Graphics are the graphics you would expect from the free MMORPG game, not from high price stuff like this. Even though the graphics arent really exclusive, the game could have significant fps drops, sometimes even stutter when fighting many enemies at once, this is unacceptable for the price of the game as high as 50 pounds. Is this game in alpha stage? Because i cant tell, the game feels unfinished for me.
    My score is 2, the game doesnt deserve more, simply because it is stuck in time somewhere between 2009 and 2010, for the price like this you would expect something much more. Why would you play underdog Wii u, when you could play something much more advanced for the same or similar price???
    Both console and the game are not worth their price, i regret all pennies i spend on this, would have buy some league of legends skins instead...
  19. Mar 7, 2017
    too much water Don't believe the hype. The world feels empty and unfinished like an early access game. Framerates are horrid on docked mode. I don ind low framerates but the random constant swings are too noticable. Looks like a ps3 era game so why is it so laggy?
  20. Mar 23, 2017
    Worst zelda game ever, 15 fps 720p garbage. Boring combat system, no dungeons, stamina meter and durability on weapons...ugh. Graphics are like 10 years out of date, half the characters have no voice acting? Nintendo still stuck in 2001 I guess...
  21. Mar 5, 2017
    One thing we've all learned today. No matter how "respectible" a gaming website/magazine claims to be they all swoon and crumble over that unmerited, nostalgia-blighted, might of Nintendo. Zelda is a by-the-numbers RPG, nothing new, nothing special. Its quests are simple and dull, the story is average 90's kiddy Nintendo rubbish. Combat feels realy old. This is not modern, not new, its forOne thing we've all learned today. No matter how "respectible" a gaming website/magazine claims to be they all swoon and crumble over that unmerited, nostalgia-blighted, might of Nintendo. Zelda is a by-the-numbers RPG, nothing new, nothing special. Its quests are simple and dull, the story is average 90's kiddy Nintendo rubbish. Combat feels realy old. This is not modern, not new, its for people trapped in a 90's/2000's time-warp. This is 2017 ffs! I've been gaming since the micro computers of the 80's and I can tell you that this is definitely money for old rope. Now, did Nintendo buy good reviews? Probably not. But there are other ways to ensure great reviews than buying them (like Bathesda holding back future review copies to some websites?) Be nice or you'll miss out.... something's definitely amiss with all these "masterpiece" reviews. This game isn't a masterpiece. Its just another open world RPG... yes, yet another. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2017
    Realy hard to take this score serious. Game looks boring and uninspired, framerate is ridiculous, those ps2 textures realy look ugly, history was maybe the worst I have memory in a Zelda game, cmon N, slaughtering wild innocent animals? Non-sense. I was expecting way more from this one, since all you did was making us waiting all this time... you really turn up to be as greedy as peopleRealy hard to take this score serious. Game looks boring and uninspired, framerate is ridiculous, those ps2 textures realy look ugly, history was maybe the worst I have memory in a Zelda game, cmon N, slaughtering wild innocent animals? Non-sense. I was expecting way more from this one, since all you did was making us waiting all this time... you really turn up to be as greedy as people are starting to realize. This was the most non-Zelda game from this franchise I ever played. You can´t fool all of us with the nostalgia factor guys, cmon. Expand
  23. Mar 3, 2017
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Despite offering a huge world to explore its largely empty and devoid of interest. The shrines are mini puzzles and become incredibly boring early with journeying between them even more so. Its also one of the only ways to increase your hearts/stamina so your essentially forced to do these side quests. Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are
    Not worthy of the Zelda franchise.

Dungeons are gone. You have shrines that are very short puzzles rewarding an item you can trade for hearts or stamina. Probably is they all look the same with bland interiors. There are 4 mechanical creatures that are slightly longer versions of shrines but the only real dungeon is hyrule castle.

Its also annoying that the inventory is micro management heavy, item break often so your constantly swapping. You can expand your inventory but again it involves finding seeds and trading them in. If the world was more interesting this might have been fun.

The climbing mechanic isn't fun. Its tedious and repetitive. The towers you have to climb are essentially less interesting versions of the towers from far cry 4.

So disappointed. I've put it down and don't think I'll bother finishing it. There's just nothing to keep my interest.
  24. Apr 22, 2017
    Really bad game. Poor story. Many bug and glitches. They shoul work on this game at least one more year and then it would be good I supose. Waste potential.
  25. Mar 7, 2017
    This game seriously has performance issues. It's the worst I've seen in a while. Don't know how those professional reviewers ignore and gave those absurd scores. If this game didn't have Zelda label in front of it. Expect to see full of 79-80 score.
  26. Mar 4, 2017
    This game is very flawed!

To quote a famous metacritic user. "Zelda has been died for years it was almost died when I was 6 and right now I am 10"(BryanM.) In recent years people have been hyping the return of the dying Zelda franchise. with recent release of this game many calling this best game of all time. i am here to give my opinion. if this game released maybe 10 years ago
    This game is very flawed!

if this game released maybe 10 years ago than possibly could be considered decent. but now with rising popularity of modern open world games this feels outdated. menus pathetically clunky and slow , frame rate drops at levels worse than sonic 06, gameplay the same as previous titles in series. the hole game is outdated. probably because of the multiyear delays that have effected this titles release.

for example,, in modern openworld games like minecraft menus are quite easy to navegate around. in games like fallout 4 gameplay is deep and varied, and skyrim has very content filled world.

positives-
    - feels like zelda.
    - the old guys beard looks cool.
    - overworld is big (can be considered a negative thing)
    Thats pretty much it....
    Cons-
    - overworld is empty
    - plot is barebones generic
    -graphics are ps2 quality.
    -puzzles are simple and bland
    - content locked behind paywalls.
    - interesting mechanics are instead tedius
    -HUGE framerates drops throughout the ENTIRE game.
    -music is forgettable unlike.

overall this title is incompetent and overrated. just wait for the skyrim switch port.
  27. Mar 6, 2017
    Absolutely boring open-world, bad graphics and textures frankly low resolution (I understand that this is nintendo, but now is a year 2017, not 2005), dialogs are only text, without voice acting, which completely ruins the immersion in the game. Very, very banal story. I bet zero because many people mold the game to the top ten, which it clearly does not deserve. A maximum of 6-6,5 ...
  28. Mar 7, 2017
    Very overrated game. The gameplay is very basic and childish, the story is short and the game has performance issues at very low resolution and graphical quality. Very disappointed by this game, it was a waste of my money.
  29. Mar 3, 2017
    It feels like i'm playing some crappy version of minecraft. It's all mindless busywork with pointless collectibles. The bosses are uninteresting being the same AOE attacks, little enemy variety, music is terrible, shrines and dungeons are both too easy and short. It just feels really boring, Like they tried to do Zelda 1 without understanding that the game worked because every screen wasIt feels like i'm playing some crappy version of minecraft. It's all mindless busywork with pointless collectibles. The bosses are uninteresting being the same AOE attacks, little enemy variety, music is terrible, shrines and dungeons are both too easy and short. It just feels really boring, Like they tried to do Zelda 1 without understanding that the game worked because every screen was interesting and filled with stuff to do. I felt like I was exploring a vast open world more playing Wind waker. While wind waker had nothing to do at sea BOTW just feels like busywork. exploration isn't rewarding and the game in general isn't interesting. Its just so bland. Good for kids who don't buy many games and like to put lots of time into something to really get their monies worth, but for everyone else it's far from a must play. And the switch version is nearly identical to the WIIU so it's not a killer app. Here's hoping mario odyssey will be better Expand
  30. Mar 4, 2017
    20 FPS or less in dock mode @ 1080p... WTF Nintendo!! 350USD?? Is not optimized, is slow, takes a long time to load... the game is not perfect, bad experience!!!!!
  31. Mar 4, 2017
    I am totally disappointed. The Switch is a cool Console, but this Game is not - unfortunately there is only 2 more games for Switch around - mmmeehhhh.
    The pace of the game is suuuuper slow. It totally lacks all the great music and atmosphere of other Zelda Games (like my favorite: Ocarina of time).
    Graphics is a matter of liking, but too me it is Nintendo 64 on steroids, but sure nothing i expect in 2017.
    All in all it is a game for those always living in the past and therefor like Retro Games. I live today and tomorrow and surely do not enjoy this Zelda at all.
    Just hope my Switch gets some great Games soon.
    This open world thing never helps to tel a good story in a decent pace. Wrong choice for this Game in my opinion. If you like it, good for you.
    I would love to see a new Luigis Mansion or F-Zero or Pikmin, but with the feel of 2017.
  32. Mar 4, 2017
    Having put about 30 hours into the game I have to say this game is massively overrated, On my second run I found out you could skip all the way to the end in about 40 to 50 mns without any consequences, I find this to be a big flaw in the game, also at various points I found the game to be totally unplayable since frame-rates drop so bad the game stops to a halt, big open world for aHaving put about 30 hours into the game I have to say this game is massively overrated, On my second run I found out you could skip all the way to the end in about 40 to 50 mns without any consequences, I find this to be a big flaw in the game, also at various points I found the game to be totally unplayable since frame-rates drop so bad the game stops to a halt, big open world for a zelda game but once you get to area you saw from a distance the textures where plain and boring, most of the open world is empty or you find very little to do, I find it very hard to believe this game even got a 98 by critics in the first place. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Generic boring game, Walk into an area, a bunch of low definition stuff happens, then you follow some marker by running for 10 mins, spend 5 minutes killing a boring enemy, and repeat. Expand
  34. Mar 3, 2017
    Im playing the game and im simply not enjoying it so far. I also dont understand why people are giving either 10 score reviews or 1 score reviews just to troll or be a fanboy. I guess thats what happens when people hate/love nostalgia based games.
  35. Mar 4, 2017
    El zelda por lo que yo vi tiene un mapa muy grande pero esta muy vacío, como que le falta mas vida, mas animales, aves, más enemigos, esta todo demasiado separado y queda mucho espacio libre, no es estable tiene bajadas de fps, gráficamente no es la gran cosa. Dudo mucho que sea el mejor juego del año como dicen alguno y las notas que les ponen todas las review son exageradas, se nota queEl zelda por lo que yo vi tiene un mapa muy grande pero esta muy vacío, como que le falta mas vida, mas animales, aves, más enemigos, esta todo demasiado separado y queda mucho espacio libre, no es estable tiene bajadas de fps, gráficamente no es la gran cosa. Dudo mucho que sea el mejor juego del año como dicen alguno y las notas que les ponen todas las review son exageradas, se nota que estan compradas, no podes ponerle semejante nota cuando el juego no se la merece, sólo porque se llama zelda le ponen esas notas y no le critican nada, si fuera otro juego le darían con todo. Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2017
    I was really looking forward the next Zelda game, but after 15 hours i can't play anymore.
    The game is a boring average of every open world game released in the past five years (Far Cry, MGSV, ASC)
    I found no unique or especially fun features that would make me want to keep coming back, you have done everything in this game a hundred times before in other games and BOTW does not keep them exciting.
    The combat is very repetitive you can use these gimmicky ways to dispatch random groups of enemies but there is really no point and it gets old very fast. The story is ok, for a game that wants to take zelda in a new direction though it was very similar to every other game in the series. There is a little meat in the dungeons but they alone won't take you very long. The English voice acting sounds off and out of place, but the Japanese dub is supposed to sound tolerable, the music overall is decent but goes for mostly atmospheric music, there are no new themes that get stuck in your head. Graphically the game is poor, i can't be amazed at the "beauty" of the world if the world is only being rendered for 10 metres, there were many times where the game would freeze for a second or two in intense combat situations and i am not really a fan of the cell shaded style, but i suppose Nintendo really had no choice working off a hideously under-powered system as ever.
    So overall i would not recommend to Zelda fans, maybe to people who buy games just for open world but not me. after buying every other game in the Zelda series, i am upset that they have ruined my favorite game series, this game had real potential but just isn't fun.
  37. Mar 4, 2017
    Very disappointed and returning game after 8 hours of play. maybe young children will like it but I just could not keep playing the oversimplified quests and puzzles as the game holds your hand throughout. no decisions or strategy involved.
  38. Mar 3, 2017
    Game overrated, no story, bad graphics, clumsy gameplay, bad enemies, little history.

Same fkin game as the WiiU Version.... there's no difference either graphics nor gameplay.
  39. Mar 3, 2017
    I am submitting my third review of this after nearly 14 hours of gameplay, and have decided to change my vote again to a zero, and I will explain.

This game in enthralling to begin, the idea of link in an open world is amazing, but it does get a little bit inconsequential after you get the glider, and outside of purposefully looking for little hidden things (that arent that hidden) I dont really find much of a use in travelling the vast plains or exploring the nooks and crannies of a valley. It's a lot of looting small things of value and killing easy enemies.

I dont want to spoil much else, and there are some slightly new and cool mechanics to be found. These, however, dont touch the other issues.

The FPS drops are massive. And I mean massive.

May be a good game to grab down the road, but unless you're a hardcore zelda fan, this isnt worth the 390 youll spend on the Switch and this game. Sorry folks.
  40. Mar 5, 2017
    Mi experiencia personal ha sido poco satisfactoria, puesto que venía de un elevado nivel de emoción y hype debido a los trailers de Nintendo. Pero todo se quedó en una mera ilusión.

La música ambiental ha sido realmente sosa, lejos quedaron los OST de Lost Woods o Dark World, ahora es simplemente música de piano deconstruída. La historia es realmente sencilla con personajes blandos y

La historia es realmente sencilla con personajes blandos y olvidables. He visto películas porno con mayor trama argumental que en este juego.

Mi recomendación personal es que si buscáis un mundo abierto, este no es un juego óptimo, puesto que el mundo se siente vacío.

Un saludo desde España.
  41. Mar 3, 2017
    nice try but not for zelda.
    i'm big fanboy of zelda series who bought switch just for zelda. paid nearly $500 with pro controller
    and very disappointed. it's just another open world game but smaller with some puzzles. i really had high expectation just by reading all these nice reviews from critics and watched trailers over and over... but lets be honest are those critics all blind
    nice try but not for zelda.
    over... but lets be honest are those critics all blind fanboy or something?

graphic was pretty and nice but looks bit empty on field. im not saying it's great though.
    soundtrack was not so great.
    world looks bit huge for a zelda gmae but consider small for an open world game compare to other.
    especially view sight is kinda bit short for an open world game. if you can enjoy the view, what's the point?
    just few types of enemy made me boring and battle itself seems ok but sometime laggy.
    at least it looks like it. it wasnt really smooth experience.
    i dont think story is bad but more like typical japanimation style but pointless. if you dont follow the trails right
    you might end-up skipping some stories. at least i loved the cutscenes though.
    overall its just a typical open world but incomplete. dont get me wrong here. i do love open world game and
    this game is nothing like the witcher 3 or recent horizon zero dawn.

for me zelda windwaker from gamecube was much more fun with way better gaming experience. its all
    time favorite game of mine. but this new zelda? nice try but no. just no. just wasted my nearly 500 dollars.
    well at least switch looks nice and fancy.. sigh.
    im just going play bomberman with my little brother next few days i guess.

i give 2/10 for trying
  42. Mar 4, 2017
    Trekking Simulator 2k17

Trekking Simulator 2k17

Really disappointing. Repetitive and boring. The soundtrack is mediocre. The graphics resemble those of the first Play Station 3 games. The plot is predictable and the characters have no depth at all. The open world makes it an empty game in which you spend most of the time running from one side to the other without doing anything interesting. The gameplay is simple, does not bring anything new. Dungeons and puzzles seem to be made for kids. The game is extra-easy and can be beat in less than an hour and a half.

It would not have been a bad game if it had come out in the year 2000. But until today the games have evolved a lot and this one does not measure up.
  43. Mar 3, 2017
    Game overrated, no story, bad graphics, clumsy gameplay, bad enemies, little history, many secondary missions inecesarias, very repetitive missions, very few weapons, few costumes, open world and little interaction. I do not recommend it, disappointing.
  44. Mar 5, 2017
    Zelda really ought to move faster, especially on his snowboard. It's too slow and boring. Nintendo is wasting my time by making me wait for their slow animations to complete. Do they think I have all day? I don't, and I'm not about to waste what little free time I have on watching this slow character plod about in a way that only serves to artificially extend the games length.

It's also

It's also really hard to be immersed in the Zelda universe when he can climb up completely flat surfaces by grabbing non-existent hand holds. It's gotten so bad I actually have to pretend to grab the rougher bricks and act as if I will fall if I grab the flat surfaces. I shouldn't have to go to this much effort to make the game work in a realistic way.

Overall, great game ruined by some easily fixable problems. I hope you're listening, Nintendo.
  45. Mar 3, 2017
    Bad enough that there are fps drops on the Wii U version, but having a new console release in 2017 where the fps for a game with these visuals can drop below 20 fps, hard to enjoy an amazing story and world when your eyes are constantly being disturbed which breaks immersion.
  46. Mar 3, 2017
    I was looking forward to this "game". But, omg, I can't play this anymore. It's so boring. Only 4 same dungeons. Nintendo, please, stop making 1.5 games for u'r consoles. And stop paying for positive reviews. It's so sad.
  47. Mar 3, 2017
    What a pathetic game. Weapon menu is so pathetic and outdated. The world is super empty and there is literally nothing to do. The story is also a big mehhh, and the characters are recycled old Zelda characters.
  48. Mar 3, 2017
    Si este juego se llamase "Las aventuras de Paco el intrepido" habria pasado por alto sin gloria ni pena, sin embargo, se llama Zelda, y ha sido un gran detonante en la industria estos ultimos meses.

Que no os engañen, este juego innova sino nada, poco. Eso sumado a las expectativas que tenemos todos al jugarlo de un SEÑOR ZELDA, me llevan a ponerle un 4 de nota. Sin duda un fracaso que Nintendo deberia de haber sabido hace tiempo. Los combates son repetitivos, te terminas aburriendo de andar, la energia te falta por todos los lados. En definitiva, un juego repetitivo sin muchos puntos fuertes.

Muy cegado hay que estar por los sentimientos que casi todos tenemos a esta saga para considerar esto como un juego bueno, o peor aun, como una obra maestra. Ni el soundtrack se salva.

El rendimiento por otra parte, es pobre, muy pobre, sacar una consola hecha practicamente para este juego y que no pueda aguantar 30fps a 1080p (cuando lo normal seria 60fps en estos juegos tan poco cargados de realismo)... Simplemente decepcionante.

Punto negativo para Nintendo y, de momento, para la Switch. Me vuelvo a la 3DS.
  49. Mar 3, 2017
    One of the most boring games I ever played. I dont know how much did Nintendo payed to the media for all those tens but in my opinion this game may have succeeded 10 years ago, it's like 3 generations ago game.
    The open world is everything the same, boring and without anything especial.
  50. Mar 3, 2017
    good things:

-epic music -grass looks great -cooking -combat on horse bad things: -framedrops -fog everywhere -its too easy -weapons lose durability too fast, bow is op -copy pasted enemies with changed colors -dlc -$360 to play zelda -nothing to do -story is too short -exploration is boring -locked content behind amiibos -Zelda's eyebrows are too manly -Link needs
    good things:

bad things:

-framedrops
    -fog everywhere
    -its too easy
    -weapons lose durability too fast, bow is op
    -copy pasted enemies with changed colors
    -dlc
    -$360 to play zelda
    -nothing to do
    -story is too short
    -exploration is boring
    -locked content behind amiibos
    -Zelda's eyebrows are too manly
    -Link needs to dress as a woman to progress in the game
  51. Mar 4, 2017
    Does not have BRs, graphics are outdated, I find it easier than others, game has constant losses of fps, but the story is very good is the only thing that saves in this game
  52. Mar 3, 2017
    Disappointing...
    I really expected more from this game, I prefer other games in the franchise, besides that visually makes me weird.
    I really hope my opinion will change over time.
  53. Mar 3, 2017
    Overrated game, boring, gamecube graphics and runs at 20fps
    The witcher 3 copycat but budget dont waste your money and better buy anohter game, this is why nintendo is over
  54. Dec 18, 2017
    Is this a good game? I guess it is for fans of open world games. Is it a good Zelda game? I don't think so.

I discovered Zelda with Ocarina of Time and played every games on home consoles. I buy Nintendo consoles because of Zelda games. I bought a Switch because of Zelda and skipped the WiiU because of the lack of it. I was very worried when I learned that BOTW would be an open world

I was very worried when I learned that BOTW would be an open world games because I I'm not a fan of such games. I liked GTAV and Red Dead Redemption single player campaigns, but I like them because of their story and because of the funny random/not-so-random encounters that made to game feel alive.

You won't find random encounters in BOTW, aside from wandering and tedious ninjas who tries to kill you. Other annoying things are: breakable weapons, lack of the traditional Link's tunic, collectibles-tied slot expansion system (tied to 400+ hidden collectibles), lack of traditional dungeons replaced by soul-less shrines (which are hidden), lack of proper story, empty world, etc.

Honestly, I don't understand how that game got Game of the Year... What is so special about it? It's a glorified and bonified corporate game jam game.
  55. Jan 2, 2018
    Awful Story, lack of difficulty, no satisfaction when totally annihilating all the bosses, at some moments frame rates drop, and along with too easy shrines. Also for the shrines and bosses, WTF is this????
  56. Jan 3, 2018
    its more or less a new rpg whit zelda slapped on to it. dont see the big deal this game have become. it got decent gameplay. not that much lore as all ran an say. it got alot of slow down during gameplay. breaks immerse.
  57. Apr 11, 2018
    First, let me say, I have been a longtime Zelda fan. The first game was likely the second or third game I played in my life, and I have played and beaten all non-cooperative Zelda titles since. It is with a heavy heart that I now write this review, though I doubt anyone will see it. This is more for my own closure, I suppose.

I will very likely forever remember Breath of the Wild as the

I will very likely forever remember Breath of the Wild as the death of the series in my eyes. In their attempt to shake up and change where the series was headed they succeeded, without doubt. Yet, in doing so, they sacrificed so much of what it was. If this game had *not* been a Zelda game, I might have been able to forgive it so much more readily. But the fact that it is, and that it goes against just about every staple in the series, really makes me regret my purchase.

It removed dungeon items completely. It used to be that when you found a dungeon and went through it, there was an item inside. That item would usually completely reshape how you viewed the world around you. I often went back to places I'd been, filled with such a sense of satisfaction at all of the new things I could do. the new secrets I could find. Each heart piece, each tiny little side quest, permanently building forward to something more. There was a definitive sense of progression.

That progression was entirely missing from Breath of the Wild. The closest it got were outfits. Outfits with some single scenario benefit for specific situations. There were no heart pieces to be found. No items to be obtained. No world changing moments, no reason to scour the nooks and crannies and think creatively about the world around me. There were shrines, sure, and they were hidden, and they gave currency to be used on hearts or stamina. But it didn't feel the same, and really didn't even begin to have the same impact.

When silver enemies are out in the world, one hit takes something like 12 hearts in decent gear. If I have 13 hearts, or 20 hearts, it's really no different. Dead in two hits. As the world progresses with the number of orbs you have gained, it actually made me feel as though I was growing *weaker*, rather than stronger, as I went forward in the game.

The shrines themselves were little more than tiny setpieces. No cohesion to anything else, just self contained, bite sized tidbits masquerading as dungeons. This isn't what I play a Zelda for. If I want bite-sized experiences, there are games for that. TONS of games for that. Warioware exists. Hell, I personally loved the old mario party games (though emphasis on old). They were apt at providing small, varied, bite-sized chunks of gameplay. I went in knowing that, expecting that, bought them for that purpose, and enjoyed them quite well. But they aren't what I want in a Zelda.

The story and lore were next to non-present. My favorite of the series is Majora's Mask. The story was the drive to move forward. The moon was present, ever looming, the NPCs felt real, felt afraid, and it felt urgent that I save them. So much so that when I beat the game, I'd often redo all of the game's sidequests on the final run before beating the last boss, because I actively cared about the lives of the people in the game. When I left, I wanted all to be right and restored in their world.

But I found and felt none of that in Breath of the Wild. There was no imminent threat. Ganon was sealed indefinitely in his tower, the guardian beasts were safely sequestered, unable to do anything but cause mild annoyance. I never once felt a sense of urgency, which I accept was by design. But simply being intentional doesn't make it *good* or *right*. I never cared about the characters within it, and the game didn't seem to care much itself.

Memorable moments while playing the game were sparse and few as well. It's a side effect of making the game so sprawling. If a developer's attention is likened to water, it's the difference between a well and a puddle the size of a lake. Since they had to fill out everywhere, they couldn't give enough attention to anywhere in order to make it truly memorable or enjoyable. I think my most memorable moment personally was finding what I believe is the Great Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time, and seeing it cut down at the middle and covered in literal feces. I bitterly remarked that it was apt for it to exist in such a way in this game, as it really feels like that was how they felt about the series at this point.

In the end, I could continue to gripe about how the weapons breaking constantly is awful design, control or fps issues, etc, that have been harped on a thousand thousand times, but it's simply not worth it.

If this game were not a Zelda, it might have scored more highly for me. Might have been a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. But I bought it and played it expecting a Zelda, and what I got was literally less than half of what I loved about the series.
  58. Dec 17, 2017
    Mostly boring. No story, no characters, no zelda items, just one big boring world with either a chest, a korok seed or a shrine to find. Nothing else. A few boring sidequests maybe.
  59. May 15, 2018
    Jesus Christ, where to start. So I’m not a big fan of this game, which you probably can tell by my review. Zelda breath of the wild has some of the worst story I’ve ever seen. I did quite enjoy the old ones, but for some reason, it’s not the case with this one. And why is it always the same story over and over again Nintendo? Where’s the innovation. This game has a lot of issues, and IJesus Christ, where to start. So I’m not a big fan of this game, which you probably can tell by my review. Zelda breath of the wild has some of the worst story I’ve ever seen. I did quite enjoy the old ones, but for some reason, it’s not the case with this one. And why is it always the same story over and over again Nintendo? Where’s the innovation. This game has a lot of issues, and I truly hope the next Zelda will surprise me in a better way. What I like about Nintendo is that they take their time with their exclusive. But they really took some poorly choices, how to make this game Expand
  60. Apr 17, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game isn't great. If your playing it handheld and fight more than 2 enemies during any weather condition the framerate will die so hard the game completely freezes for 1-3 seconds every time you knock an enemy on it's back.
    Speaking of enemies, there are barely any variety with the majority just being recolors. This game could have definitely benefited from creating heavy types that you had to knock armor off of with shock arrows or specific weapon types.
    Tridents are completely pointless as weapons since they take 2 hands and can't knock away shields like greatswords. The biggest problem I had was THE MASTER SWORD IS WORTHLESS. It has terrible attack and is only useful against guardians and bosses and even when it powered up it's still not strong enough and can run out of energy while glowing.
    The sacred beast dungeons aren't even dungeons, they qualify more as large shrines. Hyrule Castle is the only true dungeon with more than 3 enemies in it. Also like the enemies every boss and miniboss barring Ganon are reused, the sacred beast bosses are just the same type of phantom Ganon with slight remodeling. Calamity Ganon himself was hugely disappointing since having done all 4 "dungeons" he was easier than a standard guardian.
    Finally the story or what little there is has very little of the standard Zelda points to it like Triforce anywhere. We also never find out why the Master Sword chose Link, He just got it because.

Overall this game is empty, overhyped and overall forgettable. I could easily see all mention of Zelda lore being removed and it being packaged as another game. I doubt I'll ever come back to it now that I beat it and assume it will be the same for a lot of other people who played it. Probably the only thing I'll remember about this game is Prince Sidon and the quest to get into Gerudo town.
  61. Nov 29, 2017
    the game is just tedious open world busy work with a lack luster story; exciting combat punctuated by pausing every 3 minutes to change weapons, It had allot of potential but they blew it. I am disappointed in this installment in the franchise.
  62. Sep 16, 2017
    There is far too much "rose-tinted glasses" syndrome going on with this game, professional reviewer and user alike. Let me be clear upfront; I don't ever think any game is either a "10" or a "0" there is no such thing as perfection in the medium (good or bad). Yet, after spending time with this game It came very apparent to me what this was:

The biggest amalgamation of game tropes the

The biggest amalgamation of game tropes the world has ever seen.

There are so many mechanics in this game found in other titles it is astonishing. Skyrim, The Witcher, Fallout, Farcry, Dead Island, Assassin's Creed just to name a few. I've played this game before that's all I kept saying. Are these things found in these titles bad? No, of course not, but i've done it already. The magic those titles brought is wiped away in BoTW. They were handed better in those games, whereas Nintendo took the root element of those mechanics and slowed down progression to neigh-on a crawl.

Breaking weapons, small stamina gauge, lack of armor, lack of health, lack of mobility. The amount of labor this title demands to be at least comfortable in content is beyond strained. It feels like a F2P game without the ability to actually pay for SOME things. It is tedious, everything about this game is tedious.

The soundtrack (or lack there off) was a bad choice. Why they thought just the sound of nature alone for the majority of the game was a good idea is beyond me. It became jarring, making me uncomfortable. We've been conditioned for so long to have some kind of music in the background at all times made the constant silence make my skin itch. At least they should have given the option to have a traditional score playing tastefully in the background.

I've also heard the comparison to the original title and how it left the player to fend for themselves and figure things out. This, is nominally accurate. The problem with this line of reasoning is flawed in a few ways:

1) The map of the original Zelda was of a manageable size
    2) There was near Zero collecting of side mission items
    3) There were no day/night cycles where certain things appeared in game
    4) Control was fully in the hands of the player and all base abilities were there with zero hindrances. Items and equipment made the player stronger.

There are also issues with optimization, because my lord does this title chug a ton in tv mode. Framerate issues are a plenty. Also the art style falls between muddy wind waker and sharper Ocarina of time. The lack of ANY REAL button mapping is a shame. Item management is infuriating (the damn cooking! Why do it this way!) The lack of a auto load a weapon when one breaks is silly (or shield or bow).

I've played Zelda since the original, and while brunt of this review is negative, at the end of the day, it's a Zelda game so the heart of the adventure is still the same. Does this game deserve a 10? God no, or a 9 or an 8. It's nice to see Nintendo as a company do something fresh and out of their comfort zone, but if copying things from titles in years gone past as fresh, they need to go back to the well; especially when titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn took the same approach BoTW did and did it so much better (and cleaner).

It is worth buying BotW, but don't accept the lauded hype: it's fine, it's fun, it's not a game changer.
  63. Apr 13, 2018
    Absolute garbage, a huge open world with nothing to do, boring game play, bad graphics and bad story thats been told a 100 times before, games released over ten years like morrowind has more to do in the world than this.
  64. Oct 30, 2017
    It's hard to find anything positive to say about this game. If the horrific frame rate and frame dips (I've had 5-10 fps in some cases) and eye ripping aliasing aren't enough to put you off, then the rest of the game's flaws certainly will.

The gameplay is incredibly stale and unchallenging. Most of your time is spent awkwardly travelling between different shrines to complete "puzzles". I put puzzles in quotations because if you managed to get past kindergarten then you will have no problem "solving" these. One of the most difficult things in the game is trying to manage and guide a ball to a socket with frustrating and poorly designed motion controls. Due to how easy the game is, you don't feel any sense of accomplishment (unless you are rather stupid and easily pleased, which is fine, we all have our opinions) and this is the game's biggest downfall. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating. A paid reviewer, a reviewer too scared to give the game a rating below a 9.9 because of peer pressure and expectation or a reviewer giving the game a 10/10 to justify their purchase will not weight this huge negative into their review score.

Music is one of the biggest and most underrated parts of a video game. Sometimes people like a game and don’t even realise that the music is a big reason why. I’m sad to say that the music in Breath of The Wild is incredibly disappointing, unforgettable and pales in comparison to the music from games like Ocarina of Time. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

The main storyline is nothing special and struggles to excite. This is partly due to most of the game being about visiting silly shrine “puzzles”, taking the focus and immersion of the main story away from the gamer. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

The controls can, at times, feel unsmooth and a chore to pilot. For example, riding a horse can be frustrating when your horse takes 5 seconds to recover every time it hits an invisible or non-obvious barrier. Getting around the map also becomes tiresome and boring due to the emptiness between objectives. The game tries to fill in these empty gaps by providing filler content like allowing players to make food such as a fragrant mushroom sauté. Sounds awesome right? Maybe, but it isn’t awesome. There is very little difference between certain foods and the game would have been better off having fewer options when it comes to making recipes. The abundance of options is merely a way to create an illusion of content and only serves to add an unnecessary amount of confusion to the game. A fair reviewer will weight this into their overall rating.

As I said, it’s hard to find anything positive to say about this game. The art of the game is fantastic, but is unfortunately spoiled by the poor frame rate and aliasing. The opening is fairly captivating, but the story soon becomes uninteresting and is pushed aside by boring shrine puzzle gameplay. The only thing that kept me engaged in the game was the hope that it would become exciting, but it never did.

Overall I found the game to be extremely disappointing. I am usually very careful of positive reviews, but given that this game had such a high critic rating I decided to try it. It only showed me how bad and unreliable reviews are nowadays. Given that the game is below average, I'm giving it a below average rating. Don't fall into the trap of trusting these 10/10 reviews. They are blinded by hype and peer pressure, are too scared to give it an honest rating and aren’t taking into consideration any of the game’s flaws, and believe me, it has many.
  65. Apr 2, 2017
    Both Nichegamer and Jim Sterling wrote better reviews, than I ever could and I agree with them. Game is nice, enjoyable and perfect for mobile/portable exp. But as a triple-a game, feels underdeveloped (5 years of dev cycle gives empty world and generic same dungeons?), full of performance issues (how 1st party game of hardware developer could have performance drops?) and questionableBoth Nichegamer and Jim Sterling wrote better reviews, than I ever could and I agree with them. Game is nice, enjoyable and perfect for mobile/portable exp. But as a triple-a game, feels underdeveloped (5 years of dev cycle gives empty world and generic same dungeons?), full of performance issues (how 1st party game of hardware developer could have performance drops?) and questionable gameplay decisions (to-much-break-items, obstruction by rain and cold etc.). Hailing it as second coming of Jesus will only damage game press and developer's names in long term. It's a decent arpg with ubisoft style open world. At least now Nintendo console got one too. It might be only one on switch, if cdprojekt don't bring Witcher to it. Expand
  66. May 2, 2017
    Once you start playing this game it looks beautiful and so open. The world is amazing with tons of things to do. Then around the 3-5 hour mark you realize that when you look deeper into the game that it's literally garbage. It's nothing but a Farcry/Darksouls mutation with a Zelda skin. After going through about 10 weapons in 10 minutes of gameplay you begin to wonder what where theyOnce you start playing this game it looks beautiful and so open. The world is amazing with tons of things to do. Then around the 3-5 hour mark you realize that when you look deeper into the game that it's literally garbage. It's nothing but a Farcry/Darksouls mutation with a Zelda skin. After going through about 10 weapons in 10 minutes of gameplay you begin to wonder what where they thinking when they designed this?
    The after going to the 100th shrine wondering where is my reward? Oh, was it the rusty shield or the broadsword in the chest? Wait, but, that's going to break in a few hits.. I noticed a pattern here.. I've been grinding shrines/towers, and breaking weapons and all this time.. I have nothing to show for it.. Every once in awhile you will get a piece of armor that gives some resistance or swim speed or something to that effect, but they don't really help much.
    Oh and, don't bother trying to do the story from the start... get ready to grind shrines until you have a ton of spirit orbs to get more hearts and stamina or you will be having a heck of a time dying over and over again in the most frustrating ways.
    Many of the features in the game are just terrible.
    The breaking of weapons leaves you with the feeling of no rewards. No way to be attached to your gear and feel like you are progressing into a hero once again awoken from slumber.
    The stop time ability is very frustrating to line up your shots and using it will break your weapons and I have wasted many on it, and if you think you can use a tree branch to launch a stone ball 100 yrs think again.
    The controls seem clunky at times, having to quick switch weapons constantly during a fight or pause the game to eat, sometimes I wish they would have make a slot to put a healing item to just press it and heal instead of pausing, going to the food section then picking something the resuming. It just isn't very fluid and breaks combat. At times you will just die before you can get it paused and do the whole eating in the middle of a fight routine.
    The towers remind me too much of FarCry.. the repetitive cutscenes and grinding just got boring after the 10th tower and 40th shrine..
    Oh and did I mention the breaking of weapons? lol, They say you can parry a Guardians laser back at them and do damage.. what they don't tell you is it breaks your shield lol, so get ready to have a few shields broken fighting one.
    Many people have said they just avoid combat altogether because of this mechanic. I myself began doing this. The game became even more boring after that, just running from shrine to shrine, tower to tower, to get orbs to get more health because I was unable to do the story without grinding for hours.. it's a beautiful world that surrounds the Calamity Ganon of a game.
  67. May 24, 2017
    I am going to start by saying I love Zelda games! LTTP is my fav. I completed LBW as well and loved that game. I enjoyed Wind Waker as well. This game was a huge let down though. I was so looking forward to it that we even drove around the city trying to find a copy of it.
    This game does not deserve any praise, it is below average and unmemorable. It is a mash up of other games and does not do anything amazing that we have not seen before.

Graphics:
    As this is a port from a next gen console the graphics look terrible. The frame rate sucks. Often freezing during the combat and in towns . The animation style is down to opinion but i didn't like it. A Black horse for example is just one shade of Black so makes it look extremely 2D.

Sound:
    There is barely any music. The music they did use is okay but just makes the empty world feel truly empty.
    The voice acting just seems added in as a last thought as it is only used sparingly. It is terrible so maybe that was a good thing. Every time i heard Zelda speak (or should I say whine) i cringed.

Story:
    What story? There are just a ton of cringe worthy flashbacks. A good game has a strong story that dictates the game. The game developers tried to pass this game off as "hey do what you want" as if that was a good thing but I think that was just them running out of time and hence the reason there is a new story coming in DLC. It is really another money grab. The game should have come with a story.

Game play:
    Key word here is repetitive. If you love repetitive open world games with easy combat like Minecreaft you will love this.
    The over world is empty unless you like repeating the same things over and over for no reward.
    The side quests are total crap. Just run and fetch quests again for rewards that are just generic rubbish you can normally find anywhere.
    We completed all 120 shrines in this game, never got stuck and there is nothing memorable about any of them. They are all largely the same thing with the same skills you earn straight away in the game. It is extremely boring and repetitive to find and complete them all although some of them are hidden quite well. By the end I realized the chests weren't worth getting in the shrines (oh look a piece of topaz you can get by just hitting a rock on the mountain) and that we were just wasting our time.
    I played with my daughter who is 14 and by her own admission she sucks at videos games. She completed all the bosses by herself, no issues. The bosses are cookie cutter, nothing memorable about any of them. I wonder if they purposely dumbed these down for the minecraft generation it looks like they were looking to attract? There are no dungeons. The beasts are just bigger versions of the shrines.
    Ganon barely features. You can go fight him whenever you want but apart from that he is not seen anywhere else. He was incredibly easy for my daughter to beat. She didn't die once.
    The supposed strongest monsters, Lynels and Guardians, are easy to defeat. There is a hard mode you can purchase but who wants to waste more money?
    There are barely any monsters in this huge open world, just palette swaps of the same creatures. The chests aren't worth bothering with as there is nothing interesting to find that you can't find elsewhere. The koroks seeds again just the same repetitive puzzles. The towns are small and sell exactly the same items. You really do not care about any of the characters either as they have no depth.
    The climbing is cool apart from when it is raining. There just is no point to the rain apart to frustrate you. The glider can be fun at first as well but soon becomes tiresome.
    The need to survive the elements is also quite annoying as you have to keep switching out your armour. Just seems pointless as you break game play each time to switch out your armour.
    Same goes for weapons breaking. We ended up just using the Master Sword the majority of the time and even that has a cool down period. Part of the excitement about an RPG type game where you find loot is collecting the games best weapons. This makes them into consumables and in the end you stop bothering to even open chests as its usually only rubbish anyway. As mentioned earlier the same goes for the chests in the Shrines. The Shines are just to get an extra heart piece that you do not really even need.

Verdict:
    This game is like Minecraft with Zelda branding. I believe it was rushed out as well to make the release date for the Switch. The over world is empty unless you want to mine rocks and find food ala Minecraft. The base camps are exactly the same thing. Slash at the same creatures, get a crummy chest, rinse and repeat.
    This game is not fit to lace Link to the Past or Ocarina of times boots. This is just a crummy kids open world game that has had a Zelda face over to help it sell. This game isn't even close to being a classic and should not be mentioned in the same breath as those games.
  68. Nov 15, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game and am honestly disappointed I expect great things of Links adventure and thought this would be no different I hated this game. The story is sooooo bad that I actually gave up on it. The characters are as remembered as destiny 2 characters and let's be honest most of them we don't even remember. The gameplay is good until u use ur sheika slate. Shrines are boring with easy puzzle there was only 1 where it puzzled me. The gameplay is the only part I liked but for 80 bucks no. The enemies are reppetitive. To top it all of the final bossfight was probabley the most unstasisfying thing I've done in the game. The boss was way 2 easy considering That I spent 50 hours honing my skills. If you're looking for a game with fun gameplay. This is it. But as a critic on everything I love including destiny 2 that I literally think was bad if it wasn't for it's gameplay and the repetition for friends. I think it isn't worth it play Horizon Zero Dawn if you want a good adventure with a hard battle Expand
  69. Oct 27, 2017
    meh. that's all i can say. It was fun for about 5 - 10 hours.... then the repetitive grind locked in. 120 shrines? 900 of those seeds? (and btw all you get is a LITERAL piece of gold crap for doing it) etc etc. i thought WARFRAME was grindy, and it is, but again.... meh. OK game but got real boring real fast.
  70. May 14, 2018
    Yeah uhm, so I bought this game recently. Yeah I know, a little late. And I wanted to wait reviewing it until I finished it. Sadly I didn’t like this game at all. No story really, constantly have to change weapons, cause they breaks so fast etc. the combat is slow and repetitive. The climbing looks kinda stupid and goes slowly. Stealth missions are so annoying. Bosses are boring. Idk, theYeah uhm, so I bought this game recently. Yeah I know, a little late. And I wanted to wait reviewing it until I finished it. Sadly I didn’t like this game at all. No story really, constantly have to change weapons, cause they breaks so fast etc. the combat is slow and repetitive. The climbing looks kinda stupid and goes slowly. Stealth missions are so annoying. Bosses are boring. Idk, the game just wasn’t that good Expand
  71. May 4, 2018
    Breath of the Wild was not that great. I've been a huge Zelda fan for a long time, and this one managed to disappoint me. It is easily one of the most flawed titles in the series. The essence of Zelda is largely missing because it is so diluted in Botw. The game feels like a generic open world with a Zelda skin slapped on it far moreso than like a Zelda game.

It's missing proper, unique

It's missing proper, unique dungeons with keys and unique bosses. Some have said Hyrule Castle is a dungeon too, but I disagree. Unlike the divine beasts, it is very hard to call Hyrule Castle a dungeon. Why? Because there is virtually nothing dungeon-like about it by Zelda standards. It's just a large area to explore, though its music is awesome. Overall, Botw's music is sadly the most lacking soundtrack of any Zelda game, though.

The world is huge and beautiful, but vast chunks of it feel like they only exist to expand the world size. For some bizarre reason, there are virtually no caves (which is dumb). It's an open world that is also quite empty. Exploration falls flat, as there isn't much to find aside from korok seeds, shrines, enemy camps, and chests that generally contain useless early game weapons that are too weak to use anymore (or rarely they contain some rupees). Rupees are too rare and under-utilized. They brought back stamina, but it’s designed much better than in Zelda: Skyward Sword. The enemy variety in Botw's world is quite lacking, being far outdone by past games with far smaller worlds.

Most of the story is in the past, making it feel distant and separated from the player's current actions.

The early game experience was one of the worst in the series. It's far more unforgiving than it should be, especially in its normal mode. This resulted in Link feeling like a complete weakling compared to most of his other incarnations. Botw has more tedium and annoyance than all other 3D Zelda games combined and more than most 2D ones too. The atrociously balanced weapon system is very tedious in the early game and not fun. Climbing is also very tedious, especially with how it rains every 5 seconds or any time you step within 5ft of a cliff. It gets better as you increase your max stamina, but is still tedious on huge mountains.

The game's cooking system is cool, but it has a huge flaw. There is no screen that lets you view the recipes you've already discovered. This is an incredibly dumb design flaw given how many recipes there are in Botw.

Even the Master Sword and Hylian Shield have durability in Botw, which is one of the dumbest design choices in series history. It literally makes no sense in the context of Zelda history.

Nintendo also milked this game like never before at launch and after. Some costumes had no business being behind amiibo, like Fierce Diety. It may be equivalent to another armor, but there was one and only one reason they locked it behind an amiibo. That was because they knew lots of players would want that one. In other words, it was a cash grab. Some materials were grossly overused in the armor upgrade system, causing another source of tedium. Star fragments are the worst, but lynel materials are also a stupid chore to farm. The way amiibo scanning works is dumb, too. This is because of how many times you have to try to get costume pieces sometimes. It's stupid and pointless.

Overall, Botw is sadly a bit of a lackluster experience compared to most past Zelda games. This game just doesn’t stand up to most other Zelda adventures. It tried to sell its soul and be something it is not.
  72. Apr 1, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's get the good points out of the way. The game is visually stunning. Throw around "900p" and "cartoony graphics" all you like but artistically styled games always outshine realism, especially in the long run. Next is the open world. It's big... impressively big. So big that whenever I try to describe it I always fail to do it justice. This for me is easily the best thing about the game and should be held as the new standard for open world games in the future. However an open world experience is only as good as the content that brings the world to life, and in the case of Breath of the Wild we find that Hyrule is as good as empty. There's no fun in exploring if there's nothing to discover now is there?

Stumbling across and getting into scuffles with new enemies is fun for a while but ends abruptly when you realise the handful of early game encounters are copy and pasted throughout the entire world (albeit with a few recolourings to establish a power increase). Then there's the shrines. Gone are the staple Zelda dungeons and in exchange we are given 120 shrines, each containing a single puzzle. None of them take any longer than 5 minutes and using the word puzzle is giving them far too much credit. In fact, several don't even contain any puzzle because climbing the small hill to the entrance was "challenge enough." The most difficult shrine I encountered involved using motion controls along with an awful camera angle to solve a ball and maze puzzle, and even this could be cheesed by flipping your controller upside to get rid of the maze aspect. The challenge comes clunky controls rather than good game design. If it weren't for the eventual reward of either an extra Heart Container or Stamina Vessel then I wouldn't have even bothered to complete them. There are quite a few side quests to pick up along your journey but they are never anything more than errand boy tasks, most of which go completely unrewarded, so collecting 55 of a certain kind of mushroom or dispatching a group of enemies was nothing but a waste of time. It would've been nice to have some story arcs delivered across multiple side quests but with the exception of one quest in which you help a man to build a town, all side quests are completely independent of each other. Another tiny complaint would be with the performance issues. The game tries to run at 30fps but right from the get go sees regular dips to as low as 15fps. This starts out as very annoying but as the game goes on I found myself noticing it less frequently. Maybe the starting area is just a little more demanding or maybe I just got used to it as time went on.

I've not got a lot to say about the main quests. There are only 15 of them and most of them are dished out in your first few hours. Essentially your objective is simply to defeat Ganon. There are the four Divine Beasts that can be reclaimed along the way but there's nothing too exciting about any of them. They're not even a requirement and if anything make your inevitable final fight too easy. In order to gain access to them you need to complete your usual errand boy tasks for the local residents and participate in what is best described as a mini game. Once inside, each Divine Beast houses it's own gimmick to help you access a number of terminals allowing you to regain control and is then finished up with a very easy boss battle. It's certainly a way to kill time and gives a little insight into Link's past with the associated cut-scenes but they're nothing to get excited by.

What disappoints me most with Breath of the Wild is the wasted potential. I can't help but feel this amazing world could be put to much better use. The game doesn't feel like a Zelda game anymore. Why couldn't Nintendo have just given us a brand new IP? An open world of this standard would be far better suited to an RPG. It just feels like the Zelda name has been slapped on to secure some extra sales, severely limiting the games boundaries as a result.
  73. May 27, 2017
    I always begin testing my games with the tried and true microwave test. Games aren't built like they used to be and I must say this game lives up to that saying. Unfortunately I was already roughly 60 dollars in the hole and I had to go out an buy another one. Absolutely atrocious. So moving on I put the game through my next rigorous test, checking if the cartridge is a good substituteI always begin testing my games with the tried and true microwave test. Games aren't built like they used to be and I must say this game lives up to that saying. Unfortunately I was already roughly 60 dollars in the hole and I had to go out an buy another one. Absolutely atrocious. So moving on I put the game through my next rigorous test, checking if the cartridge is a good substitute for protein in your meal. I found it to be just a bit too crunchy and lacking the same taste and texture as Skyward Sword. Truly shameful to drop the quality so much. So at this point its already worse than the Ocarina of Time, literally the worst game ever. I haven't even made it to my drunk jamming of the cartridge into the Switch to test for durability, and I'm already ready to smack the review with a 0 and be on my merry way. But based on IGN's review I power through and keep testing. I finally make it to booting the sucker and guess what happens???? My freaking switch starts smoking, and I start howling at the moon and praying to the only god I know, hoping that Nintendo didn't stick a devil into this cartridge of mine. But you know what, I'm a man of third chances, so I hop on over to Walmart and buy me a third copy of the game. So I boot it up and guess who shows up??? This freaking guy, who questionably looks like a girl, not Optimus Prime, as seen on the cover. What kind of transformer game is this even? The standards are just so low now. After this I stopped playing and assumed this was one of those atrocious Super Smash Games or even worse Mario. I'll just stick to playing Monkey Ball, the masterpiece of the gaming industry along with Snake. I'll wait for a good game. Expand
  74. May 26, 2017
    Boring open world, bad controls, bad combat, hardly any story telling, hardly any voice acting and awful mini dungeons. The game doesnt care about your time. You run around in a boring and to find mini dungeons, which arent rewarding at all. Do not buy a switch for this.
  75. Sep 5, 2017
    As said in my Horizon Zero Dawn review, this is a game you've already played, with the added bonus of no story. There is not much to do in this game. Most of your time is spent running from place to place doing things, breaking weapons and having to cook. This game could be nicknamed Legend of Zelda: Artificial Time Lengthener. I have beaten the game and will say that I had fun with it, ItAs said in my Horizon Zero Dawn review, this is a game you've already played, with the added bonus of no story. There is not much to do in this game. Most of your time is spent running from place to place doing things, breaking weapons and having to cook. This game could be nicknamed Legend of Zelda: Artificial Time Lengthener. I have beaten the game and will say that I had fun with it, It just isn't the best game ever made by any stretch of the imagination. This is by far the biggest let down in hype. So many 3rd person mediocre standard open world game's. On the bright side shield surfing is fun Expand
  76. Apr 3, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Legend of Zelda game is a great game if you have never played any other Zelda game before it. As a veteran Zelda player the game is very weak and is the most unZelda like game in the series, but we will get into that.

First lets start with what the game does very well.

1) Environment - It is beautiful and expansive. There is literally no where you cant go. You can climb up strait walls and across great valleys. There are no invisible walls (except map borders). There are secrets around almost every corner.

2)Combat - Beautiful flow between swings and dodges. Lock on works wonders. Bow and arrows are a tough but rewarding weapon to master.

3)Citizens - The people of the world are the most colorful of the series. They have so much to say and they bring the world to life. There are countless numbers of them. Its great.

From here on are the negatives. Most of which are Zelda title inconsistencies and annoyances.

1)The Master Sword and Hyrule Shield - They have to be found and earned, which is fine, but they BREAK?! Why does a sword and shield that has lasted a millennia, designed to strike down pure evil, and magical break?

2)Tunics - There is ONE. and its blue! and you can only get it after completing every single shrine. To little to late. The only other tunics you can get are amiibo collectibles. Which are basically in game cheats.

3)Ganon - why does it have to be some strange bull mist. Cant we have another original bad guy. So many other Zelda titles dont have Ganon at all.

4) Dungeons - There are NONE.....the things they call dungeons in this game are shrines. They are five minute challenges. You can figure out almost every one of them as soon as you come down the elevator. These are a cheap cop out to the notoriously difficult dungeons typically found in the series.

5)Sheikah Slate - apparently Link has a cell phone now. You have gps, camera, photo gallery, way points, apps, and firmware updates. This set of features should be stripped from the game entirely.

- The apps (i call them superpowers) are infinite. There is no magic bar to restrict over use. There is no logical reason as to why link has any of them. There is no backstory to the individual powers. The power to lift any size metal object with ease used to be confined to an object called the power bracelet. Which no longer exists. The ability to stop time feels forced. In any other title you would have unlocked such a power after ten plus hours. not one or less hours. Bombs used to grow in the ground. and Ice blocks are unnecessary. They all feel like they were late game development tack ons to make the player feel more powerful.
    - The camera - This is another feature that is handed to you, not earned. Its mostly used for dinky side missions that require more than one photo from multiple angles to be able to complete it. It also has an enormous photo album. No more getting your photos processed, no more limited album sizes, no more upgrades, and once again no more backstory.
    -GPS - the map is grand and expansive. Yet it is littered with way points and points of interest. Why cant we have just a town teleport and nothing else on the map. Instead everything is given to you and i feel no real challenge navigating the great supposedly wild terrain.
    -Shiekah Shrine Indicator - easily the most annoying thing in the game. The thing constantly beeps in your face like crying navi. All there needs to be is a mute option for the thing. Instead when im shrine hunting i end up muting the whole game. Simply because a few shrines are on cliff sides and it will beep beep your mind away for the twenty minutes your climbing from cliff to cliff.

6) Enemies - Some are a good homage to the series, but others feel unnatural. Since when are there robot octopus turrets? or centaurs? and instead of making more bad looking baddies they just change the color to determine the difficulty. LAME. Even their outposts are the same skull in the ground from one side of the map to the other.

7)The Korok seeds - another example of a tacked on feature. You can often find them in obvious places, They are very simple to complete, and pose almost no real value to the game except the characters themselves.

8)Timeline - This game is probably on a new time stream all by itself. Making connections to several parallel Hyrules at once. Good luck trying to figure out where it goes.

9) Sheikah Tech - Has never existed before. It feels very alien with all the ugly glowing towers, bland environments, squiggly symbols, and steampunk armor. Its unnatural to the series.

10) Wild - I have never felt like i was trying to survive. Nor does the environment make you scream help im lost. So why have it in the title?

In the end this is a fun game to play. But its downfalls put it at the bottom of my list of favorite Zelda games. Which is unfortunate.
  77. Jan 13, 2018
    For me, the weapon durability system kills this game. What could have been a fun and almost limitless adventure was made thoroughly not-so-fun through one central game mechanic, which is kind of an accomplishment in my mind. I shouldn't feel anxiety about exploring in an exploration game, the weapons break after only a couple enemies and at that point is just becomes tedious inventoryFor me, the weapon durability system kills this game. What could have been a fun and almost limitless adventure was made thoroughly not-so-fun through one central game mechanic, which is kind of an accomplishment in my mind. I shouldn't feel anxiety about exploring in an exploration game, the weapons break after only a couple enemies and at that point is just becomes tedious inventory management to get the best weapon you can. On top of that, it's weirdly unbalanced, as boomerangs are just as effective as longswords. It seems to want to take certain things from good RPGs but not put the other things in them which makes those RPGs good. You should want to change out your weapons when they become sub-optimal, not because they are constantly breaking. Enemies never drop money and stores are useless for buying anything but arrows and one set of armor. The Sheikah Slate apparently allows you to pull heavily explosive bombs out of your butt but can't do arrows? It tries to be creative and make more sense when it comes to starting fires but then is completely inconsistent and boring in another way.

Then of course there's the story and characters. Which is to say, there basically isn't any- aside from maybe the Gerudo. Sorry, but Legend of Zelda was a revolutionary game but it was also incredibly primitive, you shouldn't be emulating it in the story and characters department. They say you don't even have to care about the main story, but the vast majority of side quests are dull as dirt and the only other thing to do is the Shrines, which are probably the best part of the game but so many rely on you doing boring side quests to unlock them.

The only thing I really liked about this game is how well it does the Gerudo, which are done even better than in Ocarina of Time. Their town and society is brimming with character and charm and even genuine laughs. 100-year old turns 5 year old is also cute and funny for 5 minutes I guess, but you only visit her like twice. Lurelin Village is also nice, but there's little to do there. The Zora are done okay but there aren't many interesting main characters from there. The Gorons are okay but they're exactly the same as they were in Ocarina. The Rito in Wind Waker weren't excellent but Medley was at least cute and charming, they overhauled them so they look more like birds, which doesn't look horrible all the time, except for the Rito children who look like FNAF nightmare chickens- a far cry from Medley. Also, weren't they supposed to be evolved Zora or something? It's like Zelda was trying to make sense for a while and they gave up with this one.

All the main characters aside from the Gerudo champion are frustratingly boring, and the voice acting actually manages to subtract from them. The English voice acting is atrocious in all but a couple characters, but at least the game is merciful and lets you choose to change the voice language. Zelda's voice in particular does not fit her character at all in English, and it sounds like she's doing a bad Game of Thrones impression.

While I had some fun with the game, overall it's a very muddled and confused game that doesn't know what it wants to be. I don't begrudge the people who do like it, but here's hoping they go back to games with exploration that doesn't punish you for exploring, stories that are simple but engaging with great characters, a Link that occasionally expresses emotion, and a more proven set of game mechanics that make sense for its genre.

Also, where is the music? Even LoZ had music. It's silent with only atmospheric sounds through 90% of the game, with only a few piano notes to break up the silence. It's charming when you come upon a stable with cool pan flute but then it's back to nothing. Music in past games make me emotional just listening to them, and this game has nothing. It's somewhat fitting for my whole outlook on the game, really. Wanting to change so much it took out the best things and put in unfun things that may be "realistic" but are dull and tedious.
  78. May 18, 2018
    So i recently bought a switch, and I am a Zelda fan. And after I've seen the critic reviews, I thought, it must be good then. I'm sure some zelda fans probably loves this reboot, but to me it just isn't that good. To me, they changed it for the worse. I mean, at least they try to innovate, but i guess they can't please everybody. I don't know if most of the red scores are trolls, or peopleSo i recently bought a switch, and I am a Zelda fan. And after I've seen the critic reviews, I thought, it must be good then. I'm sure some zelda fans probably loves this reboot, but to me it just isn't that good. To me, they changed it for the worse. I mean, at least they try to innovate, but i guess they can't please everybody. I don't know if most of the red scores are trolls, or people who feel the same way as me. I really hoped I would love this new Zelda, but it is what it is. at least, I'm looking quite forward to Mario Tennis Expand
  79. Mar 17, 2018
    i played the game 10 h and i must say very overrated game
    1.The Story not satisfactory and boring.
    2.Stupid puzzle dungeons.
    3. Weapon durability 0 don´t need to say more.
    4. Open World farming i don´t give a **** in a offline game
    5. Clumsy gameplay
  80. Aug 24, 2017
    Well to start off with the good. I enjoy the games open world it truly seems endless and I get lost in the vast beauty that this game has to offer. the character voice acting in some parts was pretty awsome honestly surprised me a little because I was not expecting that. On to the terrible. First off limited inventory is insanely annoying but I could live with. Battle mechanics WhereWell to start off with the good. I enjoy the games open world it truly seems endless and I get lost in the vast beauty that this game has to offer. the character voice acting in some parts was pretty awsome honestly surprised me a little because I was not expecting that. On to the terrible. First off limited inventory is insanely annoying but I could live with. Battle mechanics Where mostly terrible because the controls where something different and it got annoying. Example, lock on to an enemy with your weapon out with shield raised, if you accidentally push too hard on the left move wheel on the controller you will crouch and lose guard I have died several times cause of that. alot of times when I go and find enemies I fight them then theres always one that hits me one time and I am dead. Then another terrible aspect is the weapon and shield breaking. heck fire I swing my sword 5 times and it breaks during battle. I spend more time switching weapons and shields out then I do exploring the game. and its very annoying when you are fighting a hard enemy then your sword randomly breaks and you are too focused on the battle to notice the message pop up saying your sword broke then you try to strike well tough luck that enemy hits you one time, you just died. and love it when my shield breaks(Sarcasm). I would be blocking an enemies attack then my shield breaks. good lord this game has way to many weapon and shield breaks. it it lasted a lot longer I would enjoy the game more. til then I am debating on returning this to the Game stop and telling them my horror story Expand
  81. Nov 4, 2017
    One of the most frustrating experiences I’ve ever had. The game is harder as hell, and eventually get tedious with time. The exploration and combat system is punitive. There are large areas filled with nothing, the villages are few and simple. If you consider difficulty in games, avoid this title.
  82. May 12, 2018
    Zelda, by way of Ubisoft.

This feels like Farcry tried to be Zelda. It has a lot of the quirky Zelda things, it has the art design, it has the characters, but there's things that are deeply wrong. For starters, there's no dungeons. They've removed them, as far as I can tell and I'm like four hours in. No dungeon, in a Zelda game. Instead, what they've done is cut everything away from
    Zelda, by way of Ubisoft.

For starters, there's no dungeons. They've removed them, as far as I can tell and I'm like four hours in. No dungeon, in a Zelda game. Instead, what they've done is cut everything away from them, except puzzle room, and turn them into shrines.

No bossfights, no thematic change to them, no new opportunities from finding new items or completing them. Every shrine is essentially the same and there's 42 of them, so far they have all ended the same way and only two have had me do anything more complex than a physics puzzle and that was just memorize their floors and teleport back to sort them. Also these two are on the way before you unlock the camera, so I had to go online and cheat the floor pattern, because I messed one of them up. Greaaat game design.

Speaking of the slate, now instead of new items and abilities and everything that was to the Zelda experience, you are off the bat, within the first 20 to 40 minutes given: bombs, ice power, magnet power, stasis power and a hangglider. Five dungeons worth of equipment, hours of play, are given to you in the starting area. These are the last real utilities you will get.

Instead now, you manage weapons, shields and bows, and food. They break, all the time. You will swing the early weapons, 3-4 times and they break. This is pretty irritating. You upgrade slots and HP by randomly finding leaf guys or following beeps to a shrine.

Honestly I don't feel like going on and i feel I've made my point. This is the least Zelda-esque of all Zelda games, maybe even Spirit Tracks. This game is so beyond anemic. I will just drop some unsorted comments here.

There's 120 to collect, but they just give you more stamina or health, what was always quite dramatically given to you after a boss fight, traditionally in Zelda. (I guess there's armor unlocked at the end, but who really cares.)
    There's NINE HUNDRED korok seeds, which just upgrade your inventory slots, which is useful since you'll go through a ton of weapons, greaaat. I've found about 4, randomly in the wilderness. And that's what this game is, everything just barfed out in one big world zone. The closest thing to this would be the gold skulltula's from Ocarina, but even those were often found together, along the way and later versions reduced the number of those considerably.
    It is pretty telling too, that all the story goes on in the past. The current world is open and generic, it feels brain dead and lacking. You'll fight the same enemies over and over for really no reward besides parts or their crummy weapons. It wants me to find 11 places from pictures Zelda left on her iPhone and after the first one, there's no hint as to where. I don't want to travel around and find them. That sounds like busy work, like most of the game.

I don't want to go on, in this rant of a review or the game. This is a Zelda in the way Hyrule Warriors is, brand only. What this should have been is another big concept change, like Wind Waker. Or something as dense and foreboding as Majora's Mask, this time with a larger budget and not rushed. I haven't even mentioned the farce that is Amiibos in this game, and if I was to type it out, I'd probably want to sell my Nintendo Switch. It is that much of a joke. It is not only ineptly handled and impossible to find (people are making fake ones out of circuit stickers!), but DLC at the absolute, ABSOLUTE worst.

This series used to be about completing dungeons and heroic tasks, and being rewarded with new tools in the world. Now you just upgrade your health or inventory space. It was based of the childish play Shigeru Miyamoto, wandering and pretending to be a hero. I think it is pretty clear he wasn't in charge of this, or involved at all.

What we have here, is Zelda pretending to be Farcry.

My Disappointment Is Immeasurable.jpg
  83. May 8, 2018
    Overhyped. Was fun for a couple hours but then became stale. People love to eat up anything from Nintendo I suppose..
  84. Jun 15, 2018
    Awful game! Breath Of The Wild ism about 10 years too late! Just extremely bland and empty for a game of the last decade. Avoid it at all cost
  85. Jun 16, 2018
    Likely blinded by nostalgia, this game is not deserving of such a high rating, So much Zelda content that makes a Zelda game a Zelda game is missing here, and while the first couple hours were enjoyable, it later became a repetitive bore and an ultimately unrewarding game to play.
  86. Mar 14, 2017
    Surprisingly mediocre, have you played any Zelda game? congrats you have played BoTW. Did you hate the item buying aspect from the link between world's 3ds game? Congrats have that in spares along with other annoyances that make the game a slog to go through. Outside of nostalgia this game has little to offer besides showing off the Switch's capabilities, might as well buy switch off forSurprisingly mediocre, have you played any Zelda game? congrats you have played BoTW. Did you hate the item buying aspect from the link between world's 3ds game? Congrats have that in spares along with other annoyances that make the game a slog to go through. Outside of nostalgia this game has little to offer besides showing off the Switch's capabilities, might as well buy switch off for as much enjoyment as this game gives. Only thing that saves this game is honestly the music as the graphics are a tad sub par for a new console. Expand
  87. j-s
    Mar 15, 2017

Things it did right:

Things it tried:

Things it did wrong:
  88. Dec 30, 2017
    terrible story, boring gameplay, bad lore, boring characters... oh and nintendobots are bunch of fanatics who attack anyone who dont like this game... but quality doesnt matter as long as theres nintendo logo on the product
  89. Mar 20, 2017

90. Apr 13, 2017

Pros:

Cons:
    • Music is very underwhelming for a Zelda game
  91. Mar 21, 2017
    Maybe that would be "the" game for me in my childhood .. but today, i feel disappointed.
    Note, that is not a bad game - far from it! But .. it is not made for the me that is right now.
    Hell, what am I writing? Well, basically: Zelda doesn't shine nowhere besides scope, sheer size and possibilities. Not that this is a bad thing, quiet the opposite, however: scope and possibilities
    Hell, what am I writing?

Well, basically: Zelda doesn't shine nowhere besides scope, sheer size and possibilities. Not that this is a bad thing, quiet the opposite, however: scope and possibilities consume time. So it should mean the most possible enjoyment during consuming aforementioned time.

And though i can enjoy it .. i don't enjoy the way I enjoyed the Witcher with his gritty evil dark fantasy world. Less then Uncharted, with it's awesome visuals and cinematic action. Less then Nier with it's incredible story. Less then Nioh with it's unique and incredible swordplay. Less then Horizon with it's fresh concept and even more incredible visuals.

So ..do i just dislike the look of the game?
    Na, that's not it.
    I enjoyed games like root letter because i wanted to play a visual novel. I enjoyed some shooters because at times i enjoy shooters.

Breath of the Wild though, well, it doesn't live up to my expectations. Melee combat feels bad. The grind feels too long and not really rewarding. The world at a larger scale feels generic. I miss the details. Something that sets it apart for me. Though there were a few things i loved (visually too) - like navigating through the labyrinthine forest until i figured out to follow the wind - the game rarely touched me.

Maybe, i just grew out of the franchise. Maybe i just don't like the look. Maybe i just expected more.
  92. Jun 7, 2017
    There's a 150 character minimum requirement to write this review. I can assure you that there aren't even that many different weapons/tools/monsters in the game-- take what we all know about open world games-- and you're left with repetitive monsters, the same dozen weapons more often than not.. There are only 120 shrines, all of which I've done. Trust me, if I saw a masterpiece in thisThere's a 150 character minimum requirement to write this review. I can assure you that there aren't even that many different weapons/tools/monsters in the game-- take what we all know about open world games-- and you're left with repetitive monsters, the same dozen weapons more often than not.. There are only 120 shrines, all of which I've done. Trust me, if I saw a masterpiece in this game, i'd have seen it by now.

I'm going to write a 5,000 character review as to why this game is such a complete and utter disappointment-- perhaps it'll wake you all up as to how much of a let down this game really is when cross-compared to prior titles, AND no, this isn't nostalgia kicking in. Literally the only thing that carries you from start to finish in this game is the beautiful graphics, and that's not really all that impressive when we have other games out there that do it better.

What would make this game a masterpiece to me? How about a real puzzle or challenge that requires tools other than a korok leaf or a torch? How about a real dungeon? How about the need to use anything other than your primary weapon to beat a normal monster? How about a bigger bestiary canon to the series? Where are Like-Likes, Stalfos Knights, Vires, Leevers, Terrorpins, Wallmasters, Floormasters, Poes, Invisible monsters, Zombies, Flying Tiles, Electric Jellyfish (Biri), Pengators, Tektites, Armos, Dark Link (not the costume), mini-bosses in general... Why are we stuck with this flat, yet gorgeous-- open world experience with flat tideless oceans with no sharks... decorated with awesome NPCs?

More often than not you go about this big open world only running into color swaps of Lizalfos, Moblins, and Bokoblins. You know it's true when the monster shop only sells those THREE disguise masks. Having to fight the same three enemies over and over and over again is NOT fun.

NOTHING. Not a single thing about this game is challenging. There are no Helmasaurs with masks to remove, there are no Stalfos Knights that you can only kill with bombs. You can kill everything with the same crappy weapon and shields aren't even needed. So I cannot comprehend this hype summary that metacritic has put on the front page of this game. You do NOT need strategy for anything in this game. This is the most casual Zelda game, and it will never surpass Windwaker or Ocarina of Time in terms of how fun those games were. This is not Nintendo's best effort. How can you claim this game requires any strategy? It's a big DPS race. That's all it is!!! Nothing forces me to use the tool belt to kill it. Nothing forces me to use the knock down power of a korok leaf to make it vulnerable. Nothing requires specific elemental arrows to kill it either. If you think there's strategy involved just because Link is missing his dodge roll this time around, then perhaps you just need to git gud.

Where is the immersion? Where are the mini-bosses? Why is Molduga the only one aside from those Hinox mini-boss pretenders... Perhaps the most puzzling question of all... Why doesn't Lynel have a mini-boss health bar? When people compare this to much more immersive games like Skyrim, Witcher, or Dark Souls... I have to wonder if they're out of their minds, OR if we've played the same game? This barely scratches the surface as to what I expect from a 10/10 hyped up open-world game. Dare I even say, No Man's Sky does open world better. (There goes this review's credibility, but who cares, it's a fun review..)

Why is Amiibo on his Tool belt! Seriously? Get that dlc crap off of there and make a useful tool that utilizes the Joycon's HD Rumble feature. C'mon ffs. Why even put the feature in the controller if you aren't going to showcase it?! Selling this off for Arms soon.

It's almost like Nintendo went from being way innovative to being basic. What's with the repeated mural story cutscene with different text and different music depicting Ganon being sealed away? For real?! That's how we tell stories now? Pushing the same freaking cutscene ten different times with a different narrative? They couldn't be bothered making any other historical cutscenes outside of the mural one, could they? Instead we had to find memories, half of which are of Zelda whining.

Lastly, there is no meaningful mention of the Triforce. If this is a reboot of the series and a culmination of all the timelines, then they left a ton of story out and a ton of monsters. And does anyone else think its bizarre that after a hundred years and a bunch of dead hylians there are no graves around the villages? I guess dead people don't get gravestones.

Nintendo, please remaster Ocarina of Time WITH rumble support. We want to play it like we used to with the Stone of Agony all revamped to work with the HD Rumble joycon feature.
  93. Mar 4, 2018
    This game is the worst. All you do is walk around and the bosses are easy. Didnt bother to return it, Instead i gave it what it deserved. I Threw it in the TRASH. Good ridence to bad rubbish. I dont recommend playing this game
  94. Auf
    Mar 24, 2017
    An okay game, but suffers a few fatal flaws.

1. The frame-rate in towns drops to 10fps. It's bad enough to be distracting and nauseating. 2. The game is so long you'll be more than bored of it before you manage to finish. 3. A lot of the "content" they used to fill out the open world is low quality. Ie: pick up a rock to find a seed guy, DA NA NA NA! There are 900 seed guys. So sick
    An okay game, but suffers a few fatal flaws.

3. A lot of the "content" they used to fill out the open world is low quality. Ie: pick up a rock to find a seed guy, DA NA NA NA! There are 900 seed guys. So sick of seed guys.
    4. Abilities that used to be granted passively are now tied to equipment, so you must continually swap gear to navigate the world. For example, the Zora armor allows you to swim up waterfalls. Have fun navigating a clunky menu to locate the armor, equip it, swim the waterfall, then swap back to your normal armor at the top of the waterfall.
  95. Mar 17, 2018
    From an until recently lifelong Nintendo fan:

This is a Zelda game but it has got its flaws. They should be mentioned and the eternal Nintendo nostalgia should be put aside because it has metaphorically become a source of sickness. [Frame drop part of my review applies to Wii U, cannot talk about the Nintendo Switch with certainty] Continuing with the gameplay, the one-shot game
    From an until recently lifelong Nintendo fan:

Continuing with the gameplay, the one-shot game overs and the constant breaking of the weapons is another source of frustration. It even goes beyond frustration and generates anger in the player. Travelling long distances for exploring and suddenly getting one-shot is not nice. This is a first open world for Zelda and the flaws are more than visible. The balance in the open-world playing experience is not there.

Moving on to cinematics and voice-acting. Once again the experience lacks completeness. There is voice acting in some scenes but once the cinematic is over it goes back to the text boxes. Compared to a game like AC where there is voice acting even during gameplay e.g. when following an ally, Nintendo is lagging far behind in this sector.

Lastly, there is a robotic style of developing a game from the side of Nintendo. What models have we got in our inventory? this and that ok how to combine them together? ok then now use them. First make the models, then robotically dress it up with some reused storyline. Does it fit? Who cares? After creating a story timeline in Hyrule Historia probably for selling a few copies of a book, now it is scrapped just like that. The story is meshed up again.

And my final thoughts: It does not mean that a pioneer in the pixel-era of gaming should continue getting praise even for underperforming open-world modern games, just because they pioneered back in the 80s. If a game like Far Cry gets 8 points on average, when it is much more advanced in gameplay balance and cinematics and overall feeling, then Breath of the Wild is half that and can only get a 4 from my side.
  96. Apr 22, 2018
    In 1998 the. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time came out, it set a bench mark for the series future as well as an identity well transferred from its original games.
    In this instance, the series has lost some identity in trying something new...
    I really hoped for the spirit of Ocarina of time to be fully present here but its not the case at all. Instead you have an attempt at streamlining
    In this instance, the series has lost some identity in trying something new...
    Instead you have an attempt at streamlining the franchise into more comin games, Physics system, weapon breaking system. And a non linear story in a open world which does look amazing.
    Its did not feel like an adventure, more like a shore.. having to consistently look for weapons, replacing weapons..etc
    I missed having that reward feel when i would get my first unbreakable sword or when upgrading that sword to the master sword (not that you cant get it in this game).
    The physics system is great but only when you have the right tools, which could take you a while to get if you wanted them, again not being a linear story as much means you can miss those items intirely and not have the full experience.
    The world of Breath of the wild is for you to take however you want which is not super bad but not super good if you are stilll in those original Zelda state of mind.
    If you welcome a different take on the zelda series then this is for you.
    It is a beautiful world with great puzzles to solve which i cant fault even if most are short, its graphics are plain gorgeous and looks great on the go.
    Tech wise i cant fault it as i encountered not game breaking bug, only ocasional frame rate rate drop and the odd texture pop in.
    If your a Zelda fan dont go in expeting your usual zelda adventure but something else, for some it will be a refreshing take on the series and be welcome, for the very few it may be not
    It is a Zelda game but only half at heart.
    4/10 score
  97. Mar 11, 2017
    I gave this game a 3/10 for many reasons, this game has many many issues. Such as the weapon system is extremely horrible where your weapons breaks every few hits, which in turn is a bad design that could be fixed through a patch by making weapons have durability points that you can gain or lose based on how and where you could hit the enemies. Another issue I have is the very ugly 160%I gave this game a 3/10 for many reasons, this game has many many issues. Such as the weapon system is extremely horrible where your weapons breaks every few hits, which in turn is a bad design that could be fixed through a patch by making weapons have durability points that you can gain or lose based on how and where you could hit the enemies. Another issue I have is the very ugly 160% aliasing that's in this game that makes it look like smog in the game all the time that you normally see in a 720p generation, but this is 2017 where consoles should be pushing for 4k, my galaxy phone does 4k, why can't the switch be 2.5k again? another issue is the mass lag. it is almost game breaking. Although i know ppl are saying there is a lot to do, however these are probably zelda fans that has never played an mmorpg that has never experienced questing and professions before, but it really doesn't offer anything different and creative, the problem is, the game doesn't offer a goal or objective to your quest, you are just thrown out into the world completing random mediocre quests, no explanation, no solid plot, just you and the world Expand
  98. May 16, 2018
    I don’t know exactly why my review got deleted, since it was legit enough, and I was just being honest.
    As a big fan of the former the legend of zelda ocarina of time, this game disappointed me a lot.
    I really tried to like it, since I love zelda a lot. But I just couldn’t force myself to do it. I can’t be asked writing too much, Incase my review gets deleted again, for whatever reason. And I really disliked the ending of the game. Probably the weirdest ending I’ve ever seen
  99. Jan 24, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly as a hardcore Zelda fan who waited 4 years for Breath of the WIld, I was hugely disappointed by this game. I feel the game reaches the average players and not the zelda fans. Here are some things that I didn't like:

Characters: LINK DOESN'T HAVE A SIDEKICK! I mean Zelda speaks to him for the first few seconds but she's not that present. The champions really seem like interesting characters but we only get to see them for a short moment. No other memorable character is present. I play video games to feel less lonely but BoTW made me feel even more lonely.

Music: not good enough I played the game on mute. It didn't give me the zelda feeling I used to get when I heard midna's lament, dragon roost island theme, etc.

Main Story: EXTREMELY short and doesnt make me want to progress. The game is focused on painfully boring sidequests. (after completing 20 shrines, it isnt fun anymore)

Ennemies: same ennemies over and over and over again=annoying

The end of the story isn't fulfilling at all. I had to lay down my controller in shock when I saw the lazy ending.I couldn't believe it.

Weapons: "Cool, another weapon that'll break in two minutes yay!"

Puzzles and dungeons: the puzzles in the dungeons were nice and innovative but then again it takes 5 minutes to complete every dungeon. the bosses are all the same.

Freedom: there is so many ways to do things that at the end anything works and this is quite dull.

95% of the time spent in the game was assigned to meaningless tasks.

NO OBJECTS!!!!!! Where is my boomerang? Where is my the special object that makes me feel cool? not here.

There is no purpose to this game. You just run around without any goals until you can defeat Ganon (which was not fun).

Riding a horse is aggravating so you have to take the long way(walking). The loading screen takes forever.

Hyrule felt emptier than ever to me. They basically placed a bunch of koroks and shrines everywhere.

I'm ashamed of this expensive game. I will now play ocarina of time until Nintendo comes with a good Zelda game (they haven't since Skyward Sword).

P.S.: I only rated 10/10 so my comment would be on top :p
  100. Apr 25, 2018
    One of the most boring games i have played, glad odyssey is on switch so i have a game to play.

1. Dec 12, 2017
    Where it takes mechanics from others in the industry, it improves upon them; where it introduces new ones, you slap your forehead in amazement that it hasn’t been done before. Breath of the Wild is development done right, and damn near the best game you’ll play all year.
  2. Aug 30, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece.
  3. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    Up there with the finest Zelda games, Breath of the Wild is bold, liberating, and utterly astonishing. [Apr 2017, p.60]