7.7

1. Apr 14, 2016
    Ubisoft title and 3rd party title for nintendo console... a disaster.
    I looked forward to playing this game and decided to pick it up for Wii U because I wanted to avoid Uplay on PC. What I got was not what I hoped for...
    Ubisoft title and 3rd party title for nintendo console... a disaster.
    First and worst issue is the controls. For Wii U sticks, the deadzone is around 50% when on foot. While controlling a boat, this isn't the case. This makes fine adjustments to aim near impossible. And as always, Ubisoft just abandons it's products.
    Load times are also horrid..
    and the framerate... it's all over the place especially when you're supposed to move fast or fight.
    Other than that, the climbing mechanics are kinda nice, not as fluid as in shadow or mordor tho, and the character gets "stuck" (doesn't want to continue climbing until you move sideways for a tiny bit) just about 20% of the time. Combat would work nicely if it wasnt for stick issues..
    I don't really know if the game is any good if I played it on something else, but for Wii U version... Avoid it. Seriously. It's really bad...
    Oh and some people are saying that the game looks amazing... well, it's ok, could use some anti-aliasing.
  2. Jul 5, 2014
    This is almost unplayable it looks so bad. It appears Ubisoft ported the PS360 straight over and didn't bother trying to clean it up or maximize it for the Wii U. The jaggies and frame rate drops are considerable. This does NOT look next gen and it is all Ubisoft's fault. I'm assuming because I didn't try it on PS4 that that would be the version to play. The Wii U version looks awful.This is almost unplayable it looks so bad. It appears Ubisoft ported the PS360 straight over and didn't bother trying to clean it up or maximize it for the Wii U. The jaggies and frame rate drops are considerable. This does NOT look next gen and it is all Ubisoft's fault. I'm assuming because I didn't try it on PS4 that that would be the version to play. The Wii U version looks awful. Don't waste your money. Expand
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    I enjoyed the graphics, sound effects, music and gameplay. The ship battles got tedious, especially when the odds are 100% in your favour you have to watch a long predictable repetitive battle scene (instead of playing the game). THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY MISSIONS. It's hard to imagine completing them all before boredom sinks in. Playing online is also boring as there are supremely advancedI enjoyed the graphics, sound effects, music and gameplay. The ship battles got tedious, especially when the odds are 100% in your favour you have to watch a long predictable repetitive battle scene (instead of playing the game). THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY MISSIONS. It's hard to imagine completing them all before boredom sinks in. Playing online is also boring as there are supremely advanced players who have played these games before waiting to kill you and call you n00b. Although I give thanks to Ubisoft for supporting Wii U, it's hard to overlook some of the game breaking glitches. Once I was hovering in the air unable to move and another example is getting stuck in the mast of the ship. I guess I am spoiled by highly polished Nintendo titles because after 50% progress the game starts feeling tired and offers no new experiences. Expand
  4. Dec 4, 2014
    At first I liked the game, the open pirate world is a lot of fun to explore, but once I got to the meat and bone of the game I was thoroughly disappointed. Ubisoft gives you the ability to rate missions and halfway into the game I realized that I had not rated any of them more than 3 out of 5 stars, and 2 out of 5 was the average. They made zero effort to bring any kind of real gameplay,At first I liked the game, the open pirate world is a lot of fun to explore, but once I got to the meat and bone of the game I was thoroughly disappointed. Ubisoft gives you the ability to rate missions and halfway into the game I realized that I had not rated any of them more than 3 out of 5 stars, and 2 out of 5 was the average. They made zero effort to bring any kind of real gameplay, or skill based progression to the game. The stealth missions are particularly laughable, especially if you have played a true stealth game like Metal Gear or Tom Clancy. To top it all off, the sailing portions are lifted straight out of Windwaker. Avoid, unless you have no more games to play. Expand

1. Jan 14, 2014
    The Assassin's Creed series is teetering on the brink of saturation. Credit to Black Flag for escaping that fate thanks to its interesting and innovative mechanics. Naval exploration brings in several additional hours of gameplay, which along with its competent plot contribute to make Black Flag the best Assassin's Creed game since the second chapter of the series.
  2. A huge, almost constantly entertaining game. Brash, soulful and clever, it's astonishing that a title on a yearly schedule came out this meaty.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is a great game on Wii U, but considering the frame rate issues, the absence of DLC support and a somewhat disappointing use of the Gamepad, you might want to stick to the other versions if you have the chance to.