7.9

1. d3v
    Mar 5, 2013
    This is one of the best games right now, it's addicting as hell! And after one playthrough, you can feel that you want to play it on a easier difficulty or the harder one! Really a must-have for the Wii-U! I got it on PC too, and it's also pretty awesome.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    The best indie game on the Wii U to date (maybe even the best on the console digital or physical). It's everything you could want from a rhythm based game. There's not tons of content, but getting perfect on every level provides a challenge. You may find the game repetitive at times, but the different setting for each world helps relieve that feeling. A must have on the Wii U right now.
  3. Feb 28, 2013
    The sequel to the best auto run game doesn't disappoint. It takes everything that the first game did and does it better. The experience is a well polished, larger more fleshed out experience. From the games strange sense of humor to its amazing sound track this game keeps you entertained through out. It offers tons of replay value, whether it be replaying the levels for higher scores and different "perfect" scores, or the hidden treasures and vintage styled levels peppered through out. Playing it off TV on the Wii U pad works perfectly and using headphones lets you really experience the amazing music. If you love music, fun or indie games in general, you'll love Runner 2. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is just amazing fun. I would highly recommend this to anyone on this planet. It's beautiful, the music is great and it completely delivers with gameplay.
  5. May 24, 2013
    One of the best, most addictive games I have ever played. Has an old school feel to it, especially the retro levels.
    I haven't played a game with that "Just one more try" appeal for a long time. I bought it from eShop for only £7 and change and it's the best purchase I've made in recent years.
    Simple gameplay with enough variation and style to keep you running. This could easily have
    been a budget release for £19.99 on the shelf at Game. You'd be crazy to miss out. Expand
  6. May 3, 2013
    You'd have to be an idiot not to buy this one. I'd say the Wii U has the superior version, so go with this one. If you like challenging but fun stages and hilariously surreal worlds, Runner2 is for you.
  7. Feb 5, 2014
    Runner2 has everything you could ever want in a single-player platformer: simple gameplay, beautiful aesthetics, and a smorgasbord of collectibles. Slap in a bunch of leaderboards and a grand sense of humour for good measure, and you have yourself a very solid video game. As CommanderVideo and friends, you are to run, jump, slide, kick and dance your way to the finish line in a whopping 100 levels, plus an additional 25 retro levels which can be found within the main levels. The learning curve is very nice, and the number of obstacles is increased with the difficulty to give experienced players a real challenge. There are another seven characters to unlock, as well as 40 costumes in total; more than enough to tide you over before your next purchase. If you're looking for a well-crafted game with an addictive sense of pleasure, the game with the longest title in the world will be more than willing to sate your desires. Expand
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    This a finely-crafted, rhythm-based, endless-running platformer. It's also, as a whole, a surprising game that proves to be much more than any random gameplay screenshot would give it credit for.

The most immediately striking feature about Runner 2 is its presentation. Simply put, it's impeccable, full of silly humor and narration to get you in the mood even before pressing start.
    Graphics are brightly colored and inviting. The gameplay is incredibly deep for an endless runner, featuring multiple characters to unlock, alternate paths, collectibles, and backtracking, along with some pretty tricky sections (especially on higher difficulty levels). All of this makes it a very addictive ordeal that is mostly a joy to play through.

One of the collectibles is particularly brilliant: some stages hide Famicom cartridges, and upon touching them you'll be taken to an 8-bit style bonus level that follows the same basic gameplay layout. They are tricky to complete, often tricky to find, and very fun.

The game does hiccup in a few particular areas. Each of the four worlds are very different in tone from one another, but the background never varies among stages of the same world. Worse: the music is the same throughout the entire game, a capital sin for a title based on rhythm. Whether you're running on a sunny seaside track, a creepy forest, or a fiery hellhole, you'll be listening to the same generic beat. This is a huge missed opportunity, made all the more frustrating by the fact that this is a game otherwise brimming with attention to detail.

Don't let that deter you, though, because when Runner 2 gets something right, it gets it really right. It will keep a smile on your face as you meet new enemies, learn new moves, and beat stages that get harder and harder. It's a fun and rewarding experience that deserves to be in most Wii U collections.

Rating: 8.0
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    Nice music, nice setting, nice gameplay. Not too ambitious and accomplishes what it sets out to do. I just wish that the gold wasn't there. I understand that it makes 100% completionists happy, and is a way to have a leaderboard, but still incorporate it into the level in a way which it's necessary, take emphasis off points and put emphasis on just getting through.
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    This is one of my most interesting games, I even got the six retro games of Commando Video. Basically, it's a rhythm game, maybe action too. If you played the retro games of Commando Video, then you should know that this story takes place between the fourth and the fifth game. The story, continues with Timbletot, that just made Commando Video a bit more through the negative path. You jump, kick, slide, spring, block the things that were all from that old Runner game. But this time you will learn more moves, like dancing, which is for ranking up the leaderboard. Lots of feature, with 125 levels in total, 100 future levels and 25 retro levels, all are brand new. I enjoyed this so much I played it straight through. 9 hours and then beated, with most of the collectibles earned. It was just too much fun. Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2014
    Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien definitely is a good game, much better than its predecessor. The goal of the game is simple: Reach the end of the track, and avoid any obstacle. What differentiates this game with most of today's platformers is that your character is always moving at a constant speed. This, paired with its way of integrating music into gameplay give this game a distinct feeling to it.

So where does this game fall? There aren't really anything this game does that is bad, and if I was following the same rating-scale that many others do, I would probably end up giving the game an 8, or maybe even a 9. My biggest concern with the game though is that, while it gives you a variety of different challenges, when mastering one, mastering the next will be fairly easy. Another concern I have is that there's little variety in the visuals of the game. The game has some really good looking backgrounds, but I won't really be able to pay much attention to those when playing. I'm more likely to be paying attention to the platforms and obstacles, and I often find myself running on the same old tree platforms.

All in all though, I absolutely love Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, a game that was well worth its purchase. If you're a person who like platform games, this is definitely a game you should try out. While the game can be hectic, its music will cool you right back down.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Nice "review" Edge Magazine, my butt would never feel alone knowing a rag like you was around to keep it clean. This game deserves no less than 80 by anyone who operated on a higher cognitive level than protozoans. If your intelligence level is wedged somewhere in between that of a moldy potato and bubonic-filled rat feces, then you might think this game isn't fantastic.

Runner2
    Master.Stroke. I quickly learned that saying it out loud resulted in biofeedback that enlarged my prostate. I really like Sunday mornings now.

A challenging and addictive product that won't make you fail a drug test.

It doesn't exploit old gimmicks, unless you count Charles Martinet. Then again, he's as much of a gimmick as Mari--nevermind.

It's cheap via price tag, not gameplay. Take notes EA.

I never got the feeling that this doesn't belong on the Wii U or that I shouldn't have paid money for it. I constantly felt I got every penny's worth out of it. This game is a gift--delightfully wrapped in cute Commander Video wrapping paper and topped with a bow made from an NES controller. You unwrap this gift by playing the normal mode only to realize it's inner core of hate. You're on hard mode now butterfly. This game hates you and wants to rip your wings off. It strives to make teenage boys and grown men cry. It loves the sweet of tears and testosterone. As with a cruel governess, it only wants you to love it, you don't get no love in return ****

It wants to see you writhe in pain. It wants to see you lashing out in anger--an anger that can't possibly be directed at the game's fluid controls, serene music, or calming pastel visuals. No, that anger gets directed inward, at you idiot. You are the dolt that hit the jump button when you were supposed to duck. How could you be so freaking stupid!? You KNOW you can't do that, but you did it anyway! Are you even thinking?? Why are you playing this if you're not going to learn from your mistakes??! IS PROGRESS EVEN IN YOUR VOCABULARY?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!! I'M ASHAMED TO SHARE THE SAME BODY AS YOU!! Imbecile! Dolt! Nitwit! Buffoon! Nincompoop! CANNONS SUCK!!

My eye hasn't stopped twitching since the Emerald Brine and I wake up screaming five times every night.
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    This was my first time playing a Bit Trip game (got it on sale in the eShop) and what amazing value it was! Absolutely pick this game up if it goes on sale again.

The music, gameplay, and visuals are all extremely well done. This game is gorgeous and incredibly addicting. I had a crap load of fun playing it. Based off the fact that it is just an eShop title, and for the price I got it
    I would absolutely have no qualms awarding it a 10. It accomplishes and exceeds every expectation I had for it. Expand
  14. Aug 18, 2014
    So addictive and brilliantly designed. Also hair-pullingly frustrating, but the turns are so short, and the save points so generous, that you never entirely lose hope. Love the music and pacing. We had tons of fun on the WiiU, passing the gamepad back and forth for subsequent turns, making it easy to enjoy with multiple people even if they had different skill levels.

1. May 9, 2013
    One of the best eShop games since launch. [June 2013, p.78]
  2. May 6, 2013
    Surely a much more mainstream and accessible game compared to the first one; despite that, Gaijin Games managed to create another great product that everyone should at least try.
    In the end, Runner2 appears to be more than a rhythm game. This is not wrong, as it is not less certain the balance of its elements, which even make us forget the limits of our actions.