7.7

1. Aug 15, 2013
    The Capcom/Disney games of NES era used to be a blast, and that certainly applies to DuckTales (even though it still lags far behind my favorite of the bunch, Darkwing Duck). The idea of doing updated versions of such classics is a great one, and it's already off to a promising start with this DuckTales Remastered.

Basically, anyone who digs 2D platformers should give this game a try.
    The allure obviously goes up if there's the nostalgia factor here for you, be it from playing the old NES game or watching the 80's cartoon. Either way, WayForward did a great job of infusing some modern gaming conventions into this title, which used to somewhat suffer from outdated execution thanks to being originally released at the genre's early life. There are, for example, actual hidden collectibles to be found in each stage, which is a great fit for a title with so many secret passageways. The game also offers something the original sorely lacked: stuff do do with the loads of money you rack up during the adventure (basically, an unlockable art gallery and a money bin to go diving in all of your increasing wealth, which is a pretty cool touch to Uncle Scrooge fans).

There are a few areas where the developers dropped the ball. First, and most importantly, the 3D-modeled backgrounds seem like a huge oversight. The game just begs for hand-drawn environments, to effectively make you feel inside a DuckTales cartoon episode. We do get this style of drawing in the characters, which makes the decision to go another way with the backgrounds all the more puzzling. Secondly, cutscenes keep proving to be a bane of modern gaming when used willy-nilly. We really didn't need as many cutscenes as there are here, especially since they're not done very well. Ideally, we would have gotten one before and one after each stage, and they would be actual cutscenes, and not merely voice recordings over in-game graphics.

But what matters most, of course, is the gameplay. And in that regard, this version manages to not only recapture the fun of the original, but also improve on it, making this the definitive version of this classic game.

Rating: 7.5
  2. Aug 25, 2013
    It's a very good game, but a bit buggy, at least for the WiiU. If you go to the scoreboard the 3rd board to the right will crash the WiiU. Randomly between levels when the screen is supposed to say it's saving it will go black, and lock the system, also will fail to save. None of the crashes have corrupted my saves, but it's frustrating when you beat a level and have to do it again because of the save glitch. The added story to a TV based game that usually had none back in the day is very worth while, and shows how these game should have been done, but couldn't due to a lack of tech. Expand
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    It is a great game, but be ready to feel the ruthlessness of the game design from past generations. And this wasn't considered such a hard title at the time. If you like 2D plataforms, played the snes version or watched the cartoon then nostalgia is going to do the magic, if not, it still deserves a shot.
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    It's amazing. Being a fan of the original on the NES this title definitely hits the boat, especially for fans longing for a remake.

Thank you Capcom.
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    Ducktales was my favorite movie as a kid I almost missed this title then rented it then bought it. It's one of the best titles on Wii U right now (granted, there aren't many). More 2d platformers!!
  6. Sep 11, 2013
    A pretty good game that suffers, oddly enough, because it adheres too closely to the beloved NES original. Aspects of the NES version that are tolerated because of its age (ie, slow pacing, frustratingly difficult platforming) are less easy to overlook when the game has the appearance of a modern title. Dull, drawn out dialogue only serves to bog down the already sluggish pace, making for a frustrating experience that is only redeemed by the colourful art style and outstanding music. Expand
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    This is a great game, especially if you were a fan of the original. This game was recreated with a story line, extra features, and amazing graphics. It's a must have for new and retro gamers! The only thing i would like you guys to know that even though it is a great game, the original was not a long game, so being a remake, this game is not either. It is great for the experience and the price its being offered for. Enjoy!

Insagram: Game_Row
  8. Feb 4, 2014
    Good old platformer with up to date graphics - I like this sort of thing. The main reason I don't play old games is because the graphics irritate my eyes after a while, so I was very glad to see this. The gameplay is good, though the controls are a bit crap in places. Normally I wouldn't mind too much, except dying in this has some pretty harsh consequences, which makes the loose controls a much bigger issue. Still very entertaining if you like 2D platformers though. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    So.. DuckTales. It's been a while since I heard of the series! As a Kid, I always used to watch the show.. and wanted more than just watching the show itself. But as I was REALLY young at the time and my parents didn't have the money to buy me an NES, I never played the original DuckTales game.
    Now in 2013, however, the game returns.. and I have played enough of the game to give my
    opinion about it. Graphicly it's awesome, looks just like the TV Shows with sometimes funny and the old voice of Scrooge MCDuck is back (though they can drag on quite a bit..) cutscenes. Gameplay wise it's all very simple and feels very good on the WiiU Gamepad. Music Wise.. it's FANTASTIC! Especially the Moon Stage which looks really good too. Oh, and did I mention you can SWIM in Scrooge's money bin and that there is alot to unlock? It's all in this game.
    And last but not least the story. Although it's nothing spectacular and, as I said the cutscenes tend to drag on a bit, but it's still very much enjoyable. I defintely recommend this game to ANY Disney/Ducktales fan! Don't let the long cutscenes stop you from getting this game.. Capcom and Wayforward did an awesome job creating one of the gems of the NES Era.

+ Spectacular soundtrack!
    + Old Scrooge McDuck actor back in action!
    + Many things to unlock
    + Funny Cutscenes...

- That tend to drag out quite a bit..
  10. Oct 19, 2013
    It has no lives like the other versions which is good and bad. It seems too easy without any lives as you just restart at the place you fell off but its good so you don't have to restart the level if you lose all lives. Overall its a good game and the voice actors are from the show which is surprising.

1. Sep 2, 2013
    If you are old enough to be nostalgic about this game, originally released in 1989 on NES and Game Boy, you'll have a lot of fun with Duck Tales Remastered. However, if you are part of the younger generation and if those old platformers' remakes do not interest you that much, then find something else, because you will find the game too short and its gameplay too classic.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    Unfortunately, it ended up feeling like it was trying too hard. Begging me to laugh at jokes, to remember references to old characters, and to find that Scottish accent charming. While the game has its moments, it just isn’t the retro gold that I was hoping it would be.
  3. Aug 20, 2013
    Whilst not perfect, DuckTales: Remastered stays faithful to the NES original and its gameplay mechanics, with the exception of forced collectibles and prolonging levels with cut-scenes.