• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Mar 19, 2013
  • Also On: 3DS
8.1

1. Feb 18, 2015
    The graphics arn't that good, but you'll bet the gameplay can beat many linear triple A games to date! It's creative, fun, and complex wIth many stats and items to craft.
  2. Jan 26, 2015
    Pros:
    + Online Multiplayer (it makes this game)
    + Great monster design
    + super deep game
    + tons of weapons, items, upgrades
    + item crafting
    + 3DS/Wii U communication

Cons:
    - single player is bland
    - map broken into small pieces and loading screens
    - grind, grind, grind
    - showing age
  3. Jan 13, 2015
    This is essentially the exact same game as Monster Hunter Tri released on the Wii. I own both games now and I have to say the HD increase is very minimal. The game is supposedly larger with more quests and creatures but the game is so huge its also a minimal improvement. The largest change to the game is in the options for displaying your quests, map and inventory. There are options forThis is essentially the exact same game as Monster Hunter Tri released on the Wii. I own both games now and I have to say the HD increase is very minimal. The game is supposedly larger with more quests and creatures but the game is so huge its also a minimal improvement. The largest change to the game is in the options for displaying your quests, map and inventory. There are options for playing around with your HUD essentially. Essentially the changes to this game were just to adapt the same game from the Wii to the Wii U. Although technically better and bigger I am actually downsizing my score from the Wii version because the Wii U is more powerful and they did not make next generation changes that are important. Without question if you have both discs this one is the one to keep however it is still disappointing this is the same game repackaged just a little bit different. If you are new to monster hunter this is an awesome game if you are coming from the Wii and already own the game it would not hurt to save your money and pass on this. You already own the important stuff and the changes here are not drastic enough to warrant spending more money on something you already own. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2015
    Terrible hit boxes, real amateur work. It's extremely disappointing to have such a great game completely ruined over and over again while playing because some programmer decided to phone in their job requirements. You'll constantly find yourself being beaten senseless by air and shadows as a monster clearly passes by you by several feet and yet you consistently take damage. Really makesTerrible hit boxes, real amateur work. It's extremely disappointing to have such a great game completely ruined over and over again while playing because some programmer decided to phone in their job requirements. You'll constantly find yourself being beaten senseless by air and shadows as a monster clearly passes by you by several feet and yet you consistently take damage. Really makes the game unplayable at times and a grueling practice in frustration at others. Hope the budget for the next one allows for hit box programmers who are out of grade school because if I was the one that designed these hit boxes I'd be too embarrassed to even put my name on this one. Love this series but for an average gamer this is unplayable due to the poor programming. It's bad decisions like this that keep this title from being more commonly released in the states. Expand
  5. Dec 2, 2014
    I was putting off getting in to monster hunter until monster hunter 4 comes to Australia but I got this free with my wii u. This was my first monster hunter title and while I didn't get hooked and put in hundreds of hours I still really enjoyed my time with it. It could have been better if the villages and game play in between monster fights were more fleshed out/stream lined but once youI was putting off getting in to monster hunter until monster hunter 4 comes to Australia but I got this free with my wii u. This was my first monster hunter title and while I didn't get hooked and put in hundreds of hours I still really enjoyed my time with it. It could have been better if the villages and game play in between monster fights were more fleshed out/stream lined but once you get going with a hunt it is really a unique experience and feels great to play. I had so many tense moments and the monster designs are simply top notch. Expand
  6. Oct 29, 2014
    I know very little about this series but somebody said it was amazing but I'm playing a "next gen" console- so why does this feel like an old clunky DS game from 2007?
  7. Oct 19, 2014
    Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. The combat is the best I've ever seen as it is 90% of what you are doing and never gets old. The game is hundreds of hours long and can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be., and the online, while archaic at points, is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game. That's what this game is. Fun. Who doesn't want to run upHands down one of the best games I have ever played. The combat is the best I've ever seen as it is 90% of what you are doing and never gets old. The game is hundreds of hours long and can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be., and the online, while archaic at points, is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game. That's what this game is. Fun. Who doesn't want to run up to a giant monster and hit it with a sword three times larger than the monster you're hitting it with (an exaggeration, of course). It's fantastic. Everything about it is marvelous, except for the graphics. They aren't bad, but they aren't changed much from the Wii version. However, it also shows us how good the Wii version looked. Get it if you can. It's worth it. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2014
    Good lord, this game is a real mess. I've never played any MH games but I've heard nothing but praise for this game and after playing, I really don't see why. The game is mostly about fighting big, impressive looking boss monsters that require skill to beat. While the idea is nice in theory, it fails horrible in execution.
    Gameplay and animations are very slow, and stiff which makes the
    Gameplay and animations are very slow, and stiff which makes the game feel dated. Half of the weapons in the game are very tedious to use in single player due to very low attack power which means these weapons aren't very good unless you're playing multiplayer. There are always time limits when fighting boss monsters which is stupid considering how killing them can often take up to 30 minutes or a hour. It doesn't matter how close you were to killing that boss, if you can't do it within the time limit, you'll have to waste another hour trying again. Sometimes bosses can feel cheap, like constantly stunning you for 5 minutes. Underwater combat is terrible and makes fights drag on for too long. Sometimes you're forced to fight huge monsters in very small areas which makes dodging near impossible at times. The reason why people say they get so many hours out of this game is because you're forced to fight the same monsters over and over to craft weapons and gear. You also have to collect materials to craft things like potions and other items. The boss fighting and material collecting wouldn't be so bad is it weren't literally the only things you do in the game. There is no story, no interesting characters, no big open world to explore, no interesting combat system, no skills to learn. It's a constant grind for more weapons and items with slow, tedious animations and punishing gameplay. It feels a lot like a generic mmo, except slightly more exciting.
  9. Aug 13, 2014
    Clunky movement, clunky camera control, bad introduction, PS2 graphics, boring story, boring objectives, too simple combat, Wii U Gamepad is not 'really' used. Stear clear - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is simply a mess compared to other great Wii U titles.
  10. Aug 11, 2014
    I have over 600 hours in this game.
    Yeah. That is abnormal for me, most games I simply play through once and put down.
    If you have a Wii-U there is no excuse to skip over the best co-op online experience on the system.
  11. Jul 13, 2014
    Best game I've ever played. EVER. IN MY LIFE. This is what video games are all about people. THIS is the real deal. Idk what to say. If you're a casual, don't bother. The game isn't "hard", it just has a steep learning curve. If you invest the time to learn the game, learn the mechanics, learn how to hunt, you will be rewarded immensely. Most people who look on this game unfavorably justBest game I've ever played. EVER. IN MY LIFE. This is what video games are all about people. THIS is the real deal. Idk what to say. If you're a casual, don't bother. The game isn't "hard", it just has a steep learning curve. If you invest the time to learn the game, learn the mechanics, learn how to hunt, you will be rewarded immensely. Most people who look on this game unfavorably just don't invest the time. This isn't a pick up and play platformer. This is the Dark Souls of the Wii U. This is for those who want a REWARDING gaming experience. Play the game. Expand
  12. Jun 17, 2014
    I finally picked this game up, waited until it was $20, and I love it. It has been a long time since I've been this addicted to a game. I came into MH3 ultimate totally new, never having played a Monster Hunter game. I'm blown away by the amount of content. From the # and depth of weapon upgrades, to the # and variety of skills and monsters. It's overwhelming. As much as I love theI finally picked this game up, waited until it was $20, and I love it. It has been a long time since I've been this addicted to a game. I came into MH3 ultimate totally new, never having played a Monster Hunter game. I'm blown away by the amount of content. From the # and depth of weapon upgrades, to the # and variety of skills and monsters. It's overwhelming. As much as I love the game I can't see myself ever coming close to finishing. The game's faults are trival: the graphics are not the sharpest we have seen on the Wii U. The gamepad is wasted, and one fault that is actually quite amazing is that there is so much to learn and do that it's difficult to know what to begin using, how and when, so a better online guide would be in order, but perhaps Capcom wants it that way so they can sell their own guides. Expand
  13. May 24, 2014
    Nothing entirely clicks and there's just too much boredom. Everything related to the town and menus are enough to put me to sleep. Battles are alright, control a little stiff but i can see what they were going for i guess. You can get quite a few hours out of the game even if you don't love it though.
  14. May 3, 2014
    Monster Hunter 3 is a huge time waster, in a good way. With hundreds upon thousands of things to hunt, craft, and find in this enjoyable game unlike any other, MH3U is definitely worth paying full price.
  15. Mar 16, 2014
    There is an insane amount of depth in this game. You could literally spend hundreds if not thousands of hours in it. Its too bad that it turns so many away with such a steep learning curve and frustrating controls. Its a hard game to play casually. You have to really commit to it. I'm glad I bought it, I just wish I had the time to devote to the massive world that exists within.
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    A phenomenal game that requires skill patience and friends for the ultimate experience! Easily a system seller and though its last gen graphics and steep learning curve are intimidating don't let that throw you off from this masterpiece.
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    They should call this Control Hunter or Camera Fighter cause thats what youll be doing most of the time. Theyre both terrible and at times makes it unplayable Hunting gets tedious and frustrating fast when the game decides to handicap the player to ridiculous extent. This game should have a giant red label warning that players are likely to break something in their anger. Most likely theirThey should call this Control Hunter or Camera Fighter cause thats what youll be doing most of the time. Theyre both terrible and at times makes it unplayable Hunting gets tedious and frustrating fast when the game decides to handicap the player to ridiculous extent. This game should have a giant red label warning that players are likely to break something in their anger. Most likely their controller. Expand
  18. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is great for new and old players of this triology, when I first started playing this game I fell in love with weapons, the armors and the skill combinations. This game is perfect to play with some friends and even to meet new hunters. The feeling of success and the power when you get the armor that you wanted is
    AWESOME, from hunting an Arzuros or defeating a Miralis there it
    AWESOME, from hunting an Arzuros or defeating a Miralis there it will be always fun when hunting with friends.
  19. Dec 17, 2013
    This game blows your mind with incredible monsters and environments, but it has one serious downfall. The text on the screen is hardly readable. This made starting the adventure difficult and unenjoyable for a first timer like myself with this. The small town area is also difficult to navigate, but once you begin to master things, this game really opens up.
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    First off let me say when you get this game make sure you have alot of time on your hands.
    The beginning tutorial is very long, around 4 to 7 hours. If you're like me I just skimmed all the dialogue and crash coursed the controls to speed up the beginning to 2 1/2 hours.
    So with that said be sure to give this game a chance and I mean give it a chance. Veterans of monster hunter tri

Veterans of monster hunter tri already know what to expect, but for those who are playing this game on hear say you have alot of things to get adjusted to.

One of those things is that this game is very very very very very quirky! Yep I said it.... QUIRKY!!
    If you just came from playing Skyrim and/or Dark Souls it will take alot of time getting used to and will make you question if this is a serious game. Have no worries though because it still is a serious game, just think of it more like an anime and how quirky yet serious it is. Also if you're used to great graphics in a game it will take getting used to as well because the graphics look like Ps2 style with HD polish. Set that aside and you have a great game.

Multiplayer for me was a hard thing to figure out but luckily on the gamepad you can go on the internet and figure out what you need to do with MP. Playing online with friends takes getting used to because there is no Invite option, so if you're an xbox player it will take some time to get adjusted to.

After the quirkiness of the game along with its new way of logging in with players you will find this game very addicting. There are several ways of killing each monster and each way will earn you different types of resources.

This game is more of a lifestyle than it is a great story, but like I said once you have the patience to give it a chance It will grow on you. It is a very challenging game and is fun to play with friends. The community of players are very nice and helpful so don't be afraid of being a greenhorn. There will always be someone to help you because while you level up and get more resources for weapons armor they still make gains as well whether they just want to sell their rewards or enjoy helping someone.

Once you get everything down in the game you will find yourself even more addicted to it.

Trust me this game is very fun... Give it a chance
  21. Nov 16, 2013
    Good fun, but lets be honest, these are PS2 graphics at best, very average, but the gameplay is very solid and overall it's a fun co-op RPG. The 3DS link feature is awesome, very cool.
  22. Sep 21, 2013
    This is a system seller. It's sad that not everyone know this series. Despite that, this is the best we have in the series so far and the best introduction to the world of monster hunter.

Monster Hunter is about giving you very well designed monsters that you will have to learn by heart in order to kill them fast. The 12 weapon classes give you very different game play options, so this game takes a long time to feel boring (about 500 hours). You can always change monster, weapon class, armour skills and party strategy and feel that it is a completely different experience.

Low rank quests are easier to let new users feel comfortable with the game, but end game quests can kill most hunters very fast, which gives that rewarding feeling that you developed your hunting skills.

If you never played a Monster Hunter game, try this one. Even if you don't fall in love with it, as most people do, it will still provide many hours of fun.
  23. Aug 15, 2013
    If you have friends and you all have a Wii U, get this game and play the hell out of it with them. It can take some time to really get into, but it's worth it if you have buddies. However, if you're looking for a game with a story to tell, you might wanna skip this game.
  24. Jun 26, 2013
    My favorite game on the Wii U and one of my all time favorites. I've never put over 500 hours into a game (except for WoW maybe) and this game just has it all. Unique crafting for weapons and armour, very challenging gameplay, TONS of content, 1080p visuals, and a blast when playing with friends. The must own game for Wii U.
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    This game alone has more than justified the purchase of the my Wii U system. Game doesn't have much of a story but thats okay because Capcom didn't really try to give it one. The most fun i get out of this game comes with hunting online with my friends and other random people, the combat system is weird to get used to and very unforgiving at times but that just adds to the fun of the game,This game alone has more than justified the purchase of the my Wii U system. Game doesn't have much of a story but thats okay because Capcom didn't really try to give it one. The most fun i get out of this game comes with hunting online with my friends and other random people, the combat system is weird to get used to and very unforgiving at times but that just adds to the fun of the game, 12 different weapon types to pick from and an even larger assortment of weapons within each class. Every single battle plays differently then the ones before, the monsters have different patterns that change from battle to battle (for the most part) and get harder as you progress in rank. If you can get into the game you will at least get 100 hours out of the game and for 60 bucks id say thats a pretty good deal. The game is also very colorful and while it doesn't look "realistic" i think the graphics are perfect for the game instead of dull blacks grays and browns you get vibrant colors for your armor weapons and even the surrounding map areas. The monsters them selves are also vibrant for the most part and all look very interesting and while as you level some may be re colors of an earlier monster they fight MUCH differently and its something you must adapt to. Overall the games experience is something that you cant experience any where out side of this series and if your looking for a fun game to sink a bunch of hours into that has great online multiplayer and is actually fun and unique i would say definitely check this one out. Expand
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    This is the ultimate evolution of what video games should have become, instead of the interactive movies they have. I have so far got 600 hours of gameplay and many more to come.
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the best video games I've played. I'm a Monster Hunter vet having logged several hundred hours in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Ultimate is better than both. I have spent approx. 630 hours on Ultimate so far. I've been playing video games since the NES and I don't think I've ever spent more hours on a single videoMonster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the best video games I've played. I'm a Monster Hunter vet having logged several hundred hours in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Ultimate is better than both. I have spent approx. 630 hours on Ultimate so far. I've been playing video games since the NES and I don't think I've ever spent more hours on a single video game. That's saying something. All MH games require a certain level of commitment to become good. You need to learn monster weakzones and elemental weaknesses as well as their attack patterns. You have to learn which quests are best for certain rare drops. You have come up with mixed armor sets to get the best combinations of armor skills. You have to spend time farming monsters for materials to make the better armor and weapons. In short you have to put in a lot of time. This may not SOUND fun but it is. Remarkably fun. Struggling against a monster until you've learned his patterns and can then PWN him is extremely rewarding. Hunting with three other players and working together as an effective unit is a blast. Becoming proficient with the 12 different weapons so that you can tackle quests in different ways is also deeply rewarding. Monster Hunter isn't for everyone. If you want to just jump in and kill stuff with no forethought or strategy then Monster Hunter isn't for you. That doesn't make you any less of a gamer, just a different KIND of gamer. Anyone who would rate MH poorly is not the KIND of gamer who enjoys micromanaging, loot gathering and grinding. Depending on the rarity of certain materials and how lucky you are it may take a dozen hours (OR MORE) of hunting one monster repeatedly to acquire everything you need to make that monster's armor set. That's the kind of commitment that many gamers just aren't willing to make. Again, that doesn't make them LESS of a gamer. Just different. If you're the kind of gamer who loves to throw yourself completely into a game and you're willing to put in the time MH3U is one of the most rewarding experiences in gaming. After spending hours of farming a monster there's nothing quite like wearing your new tricked-out armor and/or weapon for the first time and destroying a monster that you used to have trouble with. I've never played any game more in my entire life so I can't possibly give MH3U on Wii U less than a 10. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is a very good and challenging game, its perfect for those who love a game as a challenge. The only problem i really have is that the under water controls cold be better, still its a good game. Some people hate that say your slicing and your in the middle of an animation of a slice and a monster is about to attack you cant move and then you get mad. you are supposed to wait forThis game is a very good and challenging game, its perfect for those who love a game as a challenge. The only problem i really have is that the under water controls cold be better, still its a good game. Some people hate that say your slicing and your in the middle of an animation of a slice and a monster is about to attack you cant move and then you get mad. you are supposed to wait for an opening which means that you cant rush in and attack no matter what happens. Also, people hate the recursion of having to fight the same monster over and over just to get one thing. Doesn't lots of games do this. Besides this is to make your experince longer. This game is not for everybody, but it's definantly for me Expand
  29. Jun 5, 2013
    The latest monster hunter game so far and it is perfect compare to other Wii u and 3DS games
    the graphics and the sound and the control system, it would also be perfect for 3DS as well if it had an online system too.
  30. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Na minha opinião melhor jogo do Wii U, muito viciante mesmo...Os gráficos foram muito melhorados, excelente trabalho da Capcom. Gostei muito também da jogabilidade e do multiplayer on line... Expand

1. Jun 8, 2013
    If you’re looking for something deep and significant, something that will eat away 100+ hours of your gaming life and still offer more, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is here and waiting.
  2. May 27, 2013
    It’s a game for the fans and genre veterans, who will find hours worth of fun in this title with which to consume their lives. Everyone else though, might be happier getting their RPG kicks from a different source.
  3. May 14, 2013
    An excellent old school RPG with attractive well worked-out crafting along with the entertaining monster hunting, which makes sense even for Monster Hunter Tri owners and fans as a legitimate "new edition" because it has plenty of new content. However, you may criticize here and there in-game camera troubles and strong storyline absence.