New Super Mario Bros. U Wii U

8.1

1. Mar 6, 2017
    Another great 2D Mario game for the collection. Not quite as good as some previous entries in the series but still a must own game if you have a Wii U.
  2. Feb 22, 2017
    Super Mario Bros U is the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World, the levels are fun in single player as well as in multi player. The 8 worlds are extremely well organised and the difficulty level for each world is just right. There is a huge variety of power ups therefore enhancing the gameplay. This is the first HD Mario bros and it looks stunning. The controls with the gamepad areSuper Mario Bros U is the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World, the levels are fun in single player as well as in multi player. The 8 worlds are extremely well organised and the difficulty level for each world is just right. There is a huge variety of power ups therefore enhancing the gameplay. This is the first HD Mario bros and it looks stunning. The controls with the gamepad are original and very easy to master. This is the Wii u's best launch title and one of the best Wii u titles to date. Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2016
    Graphics: 8.2 Sound: 8.5 Gameplay: 9 Fun/Story: 8.2

Like all Mario´s games: colorful, great level design, addicted and intuitive gameplay. Perhaps less repetition and more innovation could raised the score.
  4. Oct 1, 2016
    Quite simply, New Super Mario Bros. U is one of the main reasons to own a Wii U. Never mind the naysayers - it is a dramatic jump forward from New Super Mario Bros on the Wii. HD makes the Mushroom Kingdom pop like never before and the levels and gameplay are more perfectly polished and honed than ever. No body makes platform games like Nintendo and NSMBU is the product of a prize runnerQuite simply, New Super Mario Bros. U is one of the main reasons to own a Wii U. Never mind the naysayers - it is a dramatic jump forward from New Super Mario Bros on the Wii. HD makes the Mushroom Kingdom pop like never before and the levels and gameplay are more perfectly polished and honed than ever. No body makes platform games like Nintendo and NSMBU is the product of a prize runner at their peak. Expand
  5. Sep 14, 2016
    New Super Mario Bros. U is a fun platform game. But, as you progress throughout the game. Each stage gets too challenging causing you to get hit so frequently and causing you to lose your power-up so quickly and possibly losing so many lives on the same level. It's very hard to received nearly 1 billion score points. This is so frustrating, but the game is great!
  6. Jul 31, 2016
    Entretenido juego, de todos los Mario "new" es el que se siente mas cercano a los de NES en cuanto a la curva de dificultad. Si tienes una wiiU no puedes no tener un mario clásico 2D
  7. Jul 21, 2016
    The 2nd best Wii U platformer is this one and it isn't really the same of the "new mario" game series. The levels and the controls as well as the music is perfect!
  8. May 21, 2016
    This is one of the hardest Mario games I've played, which is very surprising considering Mario's recent history. The graphics are good and the gameplay is fun but challenging. The 4-player co-op mode returns, with 4 players able to play on the same screen. One new feature that I really like is that one player can use the GamePad while everyone else is playing with Wii Remotes, and theThis is one of the hardest Mario games I've played, which is very surprising considering Mario's recent history. The graphics are good and the gameplay is fun but challenging. The 4-player co-op mode returns, with 4 players able to play on the same screen. One new feature that I really like is that one player can use the GamePad while everyone else is playing with Wii Remotes, and the person using the GamePad can either help or harm the other players by touching the screen to create small platforms. The game doesn't take very long to complete, but there is a $20 DLC pack which gives Luigi his own game. It is called New Super Luigi U. It has just as many levels as the main game, except they are completely different and the levels each last 1 minute. This means you have to speed through the levels with Luigi's slideyness and high jumping. Overall this is another great Mario platformer that's still worth a purchase. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2016
    Muy bueno, pero le falto poquito para ser excelente... El HD le sienta muy bien y en cuanto a la jugabilidad es estupenda... Me hubiera gustado que incluyeran a "Dry Bowser" como jefe final...
  10. Mar 26, 2016
    Mario's back in another NEW Super Mario Bros. adventure. Only this type, he's going to your Wii U to have the most fun out of any gamer out there possible.
  11. Feb 26, 2016
    New super mario bros u is a good game, but not an amazing one tho.

STORY: Bowser kidnaps peach and mario must go save, well that didn't take too long. PRESENTATION: Graphics, art direction, and aesthetics everything looks nice, however that's because it looks just like all the other new super mario bros games and aside from some new graphical ideas like the new acuarela type levels
    New super mario bros u is a good game, but not an amazing one tho.

PRESENTATION: Graphics, art direction, and aesthetics everything looks nice, however that's because it looks just like all the other new super mario bros games and aside from some new graphical ideas like the new acuarela type levels and such there's really nothing terribly new, but the game still looks good, it's colorful, it's in HD and for me that's all i need to keep my eyes happy.

GAMEPLAY: It's pretty much just new super mario bros wii with some "new" things, obviously, mario controls exactly like his wii counterpart, he can jump, run, ground pound and do the spin jump.
    There are some new levels and bosses, but many ideas are ripped right out of new super mario bros wii and the new power ups like the acorn suit along with the P variation aren't enough to make it feel fresh. All the old power ups are back, though you can unlock use the propeller and penguin suit in the special 9th world, yeah that's back too and once again you have to collect all star coins of every level of every world to unlock all the level of the...well 9th world (and no it's not a spoiler because anyone that has played any mario game post super mario world knows that something like this exists).
    The level designs once again are creative and solid and there's secret alternate roots hidden in some levels to get shortcuts to reach bowser a lot earlier, but you will have to play an extra level in order to complete the shortcut. Yoshi is back to give you power ups when you collect 5 fruits , he can eat enemies and do the flutter jump, but now the baby yoshis are back from super mario world and depending on the color they can do a number of things, the yellow ones can illuminate areas, the pink ones can become a balloon and allow you to get multiple jumps in the air, finally the blue one's can shoot bubbles that can convert enemies into coins and you can bounce on them.
    In toad houses you can play minigames to get more power ups (that you can stack up in a bar returning from super mario bros 3) and get extra lives. There's also this nabbits chases where you have to catch a thief named nabbit in order to return the stuff that he robbed to a toad, this is the way that you get the P acorn suit. Enemy battles are back from super mario bros 3 and they behave just like in that game, you enter a battle arena to clear out the enemies in it and if you do it you will get a reward. Finally local 4 player madness it's back and it's more chaotic than ever, now a 5th player can join in on the madness, by placing platforms all over the level....just....don't do it. I can't talk much about the challenge or mii modes because i haven't touched them, but i'm sure they are fun.

In conclusion New Super Mario Bros U it's a good game, but i don't think it's worth paying full price for it, unlike the title says the game is not that "new" and it really depends on old mechanics in order to have quality and doesn't do anything to set it apart from the wii counterpart, on top of all that the game is not that hard. I managed to remain at above 80 lives in my entire playthrough with it clocking at 12 hours with 100% completion. I feel that if you already have New super mario bros wii, then i say you are not missing on anything, but if you don't and just so happens that you have a wii u....then go ahead pick it up, but only on the cheap. I'll give it a 8/10. It's a good game but nothing spectacular.
  12. Feb 24, 2016
    esse jogo é divertido e bom pra passar o tempo, relembrar a época dos jogos 2D. ele tem ótimos desafios, ótima trilha sonora, boa jogabilidade. porém perde alguns pontos: continua não dando pra jogar online o modo cassa moedas, isso foi uma coisa que eu reclamei do bros wii e continua no mario bros u. esse foi o maior motivo pra eu não ter dado 10. mas dei 8 pois é um jogo muito bom praesse jogo é divertido e bom pra passar o tempo, relembrar a época dos jogos 2D. ele tem ótimos desafios, ótima trilha sonora, boa jogabilidade. porém perde alguns pontos: continua não dando pra jogar online o modo cassa moedas, isso foi uma coisa que eu reclamei do bros wii e continua no mario bros u. esse foi o maior motivo pra eu não ter dado 10. mas dei 8 pois é um jogo muito bom pra passar o tempo e jogar com os amigos. mas com um modo online ficaria show. Expand
  13. Oct 23, 2015
    This is easily one of the best 2D Mario games ever, up there with SMB3 and SMW. Great graphics, great controls and great level design, easily the best of the "NEW" Mario series, a must buy.
  14. Oct 7, 2015
    Older series' with such a huge swath of fans have a difficult job. They have to both satisfy existing fans by giving them what they expect, while simultaneously innovating enough so that fans don't roll their eyes at the "same old game, repackaged." As any series grows older and older, this tightrope, per se, gets thinner and thinner. With a game as old as Mario, that wire is basicallyOlder series' with such a huge swath of fans have a difficult job. They have to both satisfy existing fans by giving them what they expect, while simultaneously innovating enough so that fans don't roll their eyes at the "same old game, repackaged." As any series grows older and older, this tightrope, per se, gets thinner and thinner. With a game as old as Mario, that wire is basically a piece of spaghetti (yes, that's an Italian joke and no, I don't care.)
    Knowing this, I tried to divorce myself of prior Marios as I played this game and pretend (as best I could) that it was the first in the series. I knew the mental trick wouldn't work entirely, but perhaps it could give me some fresh perspective on what is a very well executed title.
    The story is simple enough: you are Mario, your friends have been captured, and now you have to recapture the mushroom kingdom level by level in order to rescue them. But nobody plays Mario for the story, so let's talk about the rest of the game:
    Graphics are crisp as Mario makes his HD debut, with bright and inviting colors that will immerse you in the 2D world. The music is vintage and the sound effects are satisfying (the woo hoos, the boink as you stomp an enemy koopa, and the whoosh of the flying suit are all fun. I must say, though, the sound of grabbing a star coin (Ching!) is especially satisfying, as is the huge applause you garner when grabbing all three. I seriously could almost feel the pleasure sensor in my brain trigger as I accomplished this feat.)
    Game play is responsive and fluid with almost zero bugs. Mario has all kinds of cool moves to utilize, too -- the jump, the running jump, the double jump, the wall bounce, the ground and pound, the throw, the slide, various powerup moves -- and you'll need them all to get all the unlockables.
    The unlockables brings me to another great aspect of Mario, which is fluid difficulty. As a long time gamer I love super challenging games, but I do sometimes have to knock games that aren't in some way inviting to a novice. What's great about Mario is that even though it has no adjustable difficulty setting, players can adjust it themselves depending on how they want to clear a level. For instance, beating a level while gaining zero stars is somewhere between easy and medium, beating a level while getting all 3 stars is typically between medium and hard, and beating a level while earning all 3 stars as well as unlocking the secret exit is somewhere between hard and extreme.
    I'd have liked one or two more special suits, though the flying squirrel was a blast. Aside from that I really don't have any other negatives.
    Super Mario U, IMO, is a must own title for Wii U users.
  15. Oct 1, 2015
    Nintendo show us they are the kings of 2D platformers. Brilliant level design and excellent visuals made this game a joy to play.

The platforming can be challenging but with the excellent LUIGI HELP facility after several failed attempts at a level, even younger player can have the sense of progression and achievement.
  16. Sep 21, 2015
    In my opinion, it's not the best 2D Mario platformer out there, but New Super Mario Bros. U manages to entertain thanks to its new features (challenge mode is a highlight) and HD graphics that make excellent use of the Wii U hardware, which is a good sign for a launch game.
  17. Sep 11, 2015
    a mi personalmente me pareció genial!!! esta nueva entrega de Mario, especialmente por sus Nuevos modos de juego, una manera muy distinta, pero divertida de esta serie de video juegos que es un clásico que ha ido muy bien con sus nuevos títulos incluyendo el New Super Luigi U
  18. Aug 11, 2015
    It's a great game. I have to admit it looks a lot like it's predecessor on the Wii, in terms of graphics (only now it's in HD) and gameplay. Still, it's a great game and it plays good. There's a good amount of content and especially the levels in Superstar Road are really cool and satisfying to complete.
  19. Jul 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do you want play a great classic game? Just you play with New Super Mario Bros U. I loved the levels and the boss battle (the final stage it's epic!). Also the DLC called New Super Luigi Bros U is awesome. High recommended. Expand
  20. Jul 14, 2015
    "New Super Mario Bros. U" was one of the first Nintendo Wii U games release and, for the longest time, one of the only first-party Wii U games released. Overall, even today, now that plenty of other Wii U games have been released, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is still an extremely fun game that I would definitely highly recommend. Gorgeous visuals, great level design, fun platforming,"New Super Mario Bros. U" was one of the first Nintendo Wii U games release and, for the longest time, one of the only first-party Wii U games released. Overall, even today, now that plenty of other Wii U games have been released, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is still an extremely fun game that I would definitely highly recommend. Gorgeous visuals, great level design, fun platforming, interesting new items, increased difficulty from previous new items and fun new modes make this a very worthwhile purchase. If anything, I feel as though the game still treads some of the same ground as "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" and most of the fun you will get out of the game comes from multiplayer. Even so, multiplayer or not, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is a great game that is definitely well-worth purchasing. Expand
  21. Jul 13, 2015
    La manera en la que inova el juego com 5 jugadores simultaneos en un juego de plataforma me parece estupenda, el uso de comentarios via online me parece mucho mejor que los logros de microsoft, reperesentando un verdadero reto vivo y constante, sin contar las horas y horas de carcajadas en el multijugador, considero a este juego una pieza que no debe faltar en niguna coleccion!!
  22. May 31, 2015
    new super mario bros u es mi primer juego de wiiu, excelente juego de plataformas ver a mario por primera ves en hd es increible, nintendo EAD a creado un excelente juego, pero muy poco innovador, trae el exito de wii para wiiu, la banda sonora se me hizo ya muy usada, no quita que sea muy buena, pero reciclar nunca es bueno, ahora los puntos buenos, excelente rejugabilidad, dificultad muynew super mario bros u es mi primer juego de wiiu, excelente juego de plataformas ver a mario por primera ves en hd es increible, nintendo EAD a creado un excelente juego, pero muy poco innovador, trae el exito de wii para wiiu, la banda sonora se me hizo ya muy usada, no quita que sea muy buena, pero reciclar nunca es bueno, ahora los puntos buenos, excelente rejugabilidad, dificultad muy buena de facil a realmente exigente, niveles muy bien logrados y el punto mas fuerte los yoshi bebe me recuerda mucho a mario world esa joya de snes, la batalla contra bowser es una de las mas epicas de la saga, bueno, new super mario es un excelente juego de plataformas pero que falla en la innovaccion se parece mucho al de wii, nota 8,5 Expand
  23. Apr 23, 2015
    This game is awesome! Best NSMB game of them all! The graphics are amazing! The controls are great. The level designs are all good. This game also introduced someone awesome to the series (Nabbit). New Super Mario Bros U is great to play with friends and you should definitely buy this game!
  24. Mar 1, 2015
    This game is AWESOME!! The graphics,controls,characters,designs,background,etc. are all worth it. The story looks like AFTER New Super Mario Bros. Wii(great game). Please get this game.
  25. Jan 26, 2015
    If you love 2D mario platformers this is your game! This was the 1st Wii U title I 100%'d, great fun!

Pros:
    + Clever and imaginative level designs
    + Challenging and rewarding
    + nostalgic

Con:
    - multiplayer is a bit messy (but still fun!)
  26. Jan 20, 2015
    This is a game that is worth the money easily, just like the first one.

PROS
    -Graphics were HD
    -easy controls
    -Nice story
    -Fun gameplay

CONS
    -A little glitchy
  27. Jan 12, 2015
    I got New Super Mario Bros. U as a compilation when I purchased my Wii U. If you want to see my review of New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, please look at that game's page.

New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title that tried but didn't really use the GamePad well. Thankfully, it still has the genius level design like the rest of the New Super Mario series and cheerful art style that always keeps me coming back. One of the levels in Soda Jungle (styled like Van Gogh's Starry Night) is particularly beautiful.

The multiplayer from New Super Mario Bros. Wii is back and its as hectic as ever. It still doesn't really fit my definition of fun but I guess if you have nothing else to do, you should try it out. The Flying Squirrel Acorn is the new power-up in this game. It allows you glide and hang onto walls to hide from enemies. It's really unique and I'd like to see it return in a later Mario game.

Baby Yoshis also make a return. There are three types: bubble, light, and balloon. The bubble one, as you may have guessed, blows bubbles to trap enemies and turn them into coins. The light one can create a path for you in dark underground levels and the balloon one can help you get to higher places. The Baby Yoshis are a great addition to freshen up the gameplay. One of my few problems with Mario U is that when you get to World 6, there's an insane difficulty spike but that's mostly it.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the New Super Mario series and besides the lack of improvement in multiplayer and the difficulty spike, it's not anything you're going to want to miss.
  28. Dec 22, 2014
    The game isn't worse that other games in the Super Mario Bros. series but having all these other interesting games to play as well, I usually don't spend much more than 1 hour of continuous gameplay on that one without feeling like switching to one of the more deeply interesting games. It's a fun hour, but it gets boring after that... I like it that it is more challenging than the 3DS game though.
  29. Nov 24, 2014
    Wii U sale a la luz con un excelente juego de lanzamiento, este Mario supera al de Wii con mejores niveles, mas creativos, y ver a Mario por primera vez en HD, el OST es muy bueno y parece un Super Mario World HD, es un excelente juego, un Mario por excelencia, hermosos paisajes, mundos, y la batalla final es épica.

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae nada de innovador con el game pad, poner plataformas te aburre después de jugar 2 niveles, muy pobre el uso de game pad. este juego es de 9.5 pero no puedo calificarlo así
  30. Nov 11, 2014
    Easily the best in the New Super Mario Bros series. Even though it offers almost nothing new, the beautiful graphics from the wii u and the fluent game play makes it easily the best.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.