8.6

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Epic. Just epic. Wii u rock! Pikmin 3 has a cute story and excellent gameplay to it. Must buy if you are a strategy fan or action helps! But the real hero is the controls! Wii u handles it beautifully.
  2. Oct 10, 2014
    This is a wonderful, charming experience that will give any Wii U owner a smashing good time. It's one of the best games on the system and it is a great successor to the first two Pikmin games. The problem is the controls, which can be hard to use sometimes when lots of things are happening on screen at once, and the fact that the story ends pretty quickly. Other than that, this is a gameThis is a wonderful, charming experience that will give any Wii U owner a smashing good time. It's one of the best games on the system and it is a great successor to the first two Pikmin games. The problem is the controls, which can be hard to use sometimes when lots of things are happening on screen at once, and the fact that the story ends pretty quickly. Other than that, this is a game I cannot recommend enough. Give it a try and you'll love it forever, just like the first two games. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    Relaxing music, relaxing sound effects, relaxing visuals, relaxing graphics, relaxing scenery, relaxing colourful Pikmin characters, and OH MY GOSH ITS A GIANT PIKMIN-HUNGRY MONSTER!
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    I admit that I wasn't planning on buying Pikmin 3. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but this wasn't a game that I was DYING to have. When the free game offer from buying Mario Kart 8 came along, I decided to download Pikmin 3 and I must say... It's fantastic! It may not be as lengthy as Pikmin 2, but the beautiful graphics, the new Wii U game mechanics, and the return of 'days' offerI admit that I wasn't planning on buying Pikmin 3. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but this wasn't a game that I was DYING to have. When the free game offer from buying Mario Kart 8 came along, I decided to download Pikmin 3 and I must say... It's fantastic! It may not be as lengthy as Pikmin 2, but the beautiful graphics, the new Wii U game mechanics, and the return of 'days' offer a new challenge to try and do better on days that you either didn't do well on or want to beat your best. I can now say, it is one of the must haves for Wii U. Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2013
    All the worlds are beautiful to look at and the game plays great. While i didn't really like challenge mode I loved bingo battle. Just another great game from Nintendo.
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a stunning game. As a newcomer to the series, I didn't know quite what to expect. But Pikmin 3 eases you in gently, and before you know it you're thinking strategically, plotting out each day. The tutorial is fantastically subtle- not the boring navi-like stuff we've come to know. For example, when introducing blue pikmin, it doesn't tell you they are resistant to water.Pikmin 3 is a stunning game. As a newcomer to the series, I didn't know quite what to expect. But Pikmin 3 eases you in gently, and before you know it you're thinking strategically, plotting out each day. The tutorial is fantastically subtle- not the boring navi-like stuff we've come to know. For example, when introducing blue pikmin, it doesn't tell you they are resistant to water. Instead, they first appear in the water so you know that.
    Game mechanics work like this: you control 3 crew members throughout the storyline of Pikmin 3. They can only progress by using pikmin. You can grow pikmin, but that wastes valuable time. You can have up to 100 pikmin with you at one time. These cute adorable little creatures can be thrown at enemies. The pikmin will all attack the enemies, but the enemies can also attack the pikmin. And there's nothing as heartbreaking as the squeal of a dying pikmin gobbled up by a bulborb. You go through the game in a cycle of days, and each day you must get all your pikmin back to the ship or they will perish. And that is a heartbreaking cutscene.
    The pikmin can also carry objects back to the ship, which is a vital component of pikmin 3. Various different types of pikmin each have different qualities, and these qualities are needed to solve puzzles. But it can be annoying when pikmin often do stupid things that you don't want them to do.
    Every day, the crew members consume a portion of fruit every day and you need to keep using pikmin to collect fruit on top of the main game. If they run out, it's game over. But it's fine because you can always skip to an earlier day before things went wrong. Pikmin 3 gets lovably complicated and challenging, and is really a joy to play. The puzzles and combat are so expertly made, and each boss is unique and geniously crafted. Equally, environments are glorious in HD, and are really beautiful to look at. They are all perfectly natural, no human intervention, and you are tiny compared to them. Like, you can stand on a leaves. Enemies are weird and unique, and creative in both presentation and combat. I can't stress enough how inventive Nintendo have been in enemy design and ideas.
    The gamepad is very useful as you actually play with nunchuk and remote, and have the gamepad stood up beside you to look at for the map. You need it to think strategically and plan your day. It's as good as essential for success in Pikmin 3.
    In addition to story mode, there's a mission mode, which sets you goals to collect as much fruit as possible or defeat enemies. This can also be played co-op. The missions really help your strategic thinking and increase the longevity of Pikmin 3 by a huge amount.
    There's also a versus multiplayer mode, but the player with the gamepad has a huge advantage because they can see the map.
    Pikmin 3 is a beautiful game, and though flawed, you shouldn't hesitate to buy it.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    The best Wii U game out now, a must have! Go get it if you don't have it! Its much easier than the first 2 games, which is nice as the first 2 were hard. It doesn't mean that Pikmin 3 is devoid of any challenge, some enemies, bosses, and challenges are very challenging to tackle. The story is good, not as engrossing as the others, but it is defanitely the funnest game in the trilogy,The best Wii U game out now, a must have! Go get it if you don't have it! Its much easier than the first 2 games, which is nice as the first 2 were hard. It doesn't mean that Pikmin 3 is devoid of any challenge, some enemies, bosses, and challenges are very challenging to tackle. The story is good, not as engrossing as the others, but it is defanitely the funnest game in the trilogy, althugh I still prefer Pikmin 2 in terms of gameplay, as it was the best in the series and still is. It is very short though, after waiting 9 years for this game, a faithful fan like myself would exepect more. One issue besides the shortness is the characters, I like them, but they just aren't the Olimar and Louie I grew up with, Alph is awesome though. Im still sad how Olimar and Louie are minor characters, while the President is only mentioned. Another letdown are the number of new pikmin, after 9 years I thought we would get alot more new pikmin than just Rock and Winged pikmin, and the purple and white pikmin only appear in the muliplayer modes, which are pretty fun. Overall, I really expected more after waiting 9 years for this, hopefully a sequal won't take as long to make, but it is one of the funnest games I've played all year, maybe the funnest. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    If you're looking for a chance to flex your strategy muscles on the Wii U, look no further. Pikmin 3 is here, and it's a beautiful, addictive, strangely emotional little gem of a game.

The storyline puts you in the shoes of three diminutive astronauts from the planet Koppai. Following a food crisis which threatens to starve everyone to death in their home planet, captain Charlie, engineer Alph and botanist Brittany get onboard the S.S. Drake to search the cosmos for new food sources. They end up crash-landing on a lush planet, filled to the brim with delicious fruit and dangerous predators. They soon meet a strange breed of half-plant, half-animal creatures (the titular pikmin), and end up forming a symbiotic relationship: the koppaite command helps the various species of pikmin overcome their natural foes, while the pikmin help the koppaites find and transport food and gadgets to the S.S. Drake. It's a simple story with cute characters, but the enviromentalist undertones give it a grim side that really helps in relating to the characters.

There's an eerie pleasure in watching the little pikmin work tirelessly to bring giant fruit and carcasses back to the spaceship. It evokes memories of lazy summer afternoons, watching ants carry leaves in the yard... except you actually get to command the tiny army, a task that proves to be beyond fun. With a fluid learning curve, you'll be familiar to the controls and concepts in no time, whereas deeper strategic aspects of the gameplay keep getting introduced as the story moves forward. It's a nice pace that never gets overwhelming.

The planet itself is a great joy to discover. Graphics are stunning, the ambients are varied and interesting, lighting effects are phenomenal, and the enemies are all designed as delightfully alien creatures. Due to this, at first I was slightly distressed by the exploration constraints brought forth by the time limit (you need to get everyone back to the spaceship before each nightfall, or else you'll get a heartbreaking scene of your pikmin running for their lives only to be devoured by nocturnal predators). Soon, though, it became obvious that this is a key feature to lend some urgency to the real-time strategy of the game; without it, the sense of collective working would definitely be dampened.

The gamepad helps a lot in the exploration, being both a handy database and a multitasking enabler. Sadly, sometimes the controls get a little awkward. For example, aiming in the gamepad is done with the same stick used to move, which can prove tricky when standing in a diminutive suspended platform. Thankfully, there are numerous controlling options, including the wiimote & nunchuck combo, and even those paired with the gamepad (I still opted for the convenience of the sole gamepad, though, since the majority of its control scheme flows easily enough).

All things considered, Pikmin 3 is a very rewarding experience; one which has the blessing of being extremely unique and filled with Nintendo charm. You'll be hard-pressed to find something similar anywhere, and it's gonna be tough to resist the urge of playing just a couple more days in each play session. Because of all that, chances are you'll find the main quest to move along just a little too fast. Thankfully, plenty of collectibles to backtrack and superb multiplayer modes will further extend the fun.

Rating: 9.5
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    Se puede decir que Pikmin 3 es el mejor juego de Wii U hasta el momento. Una nueva historia, excelentes gráficas y multiples modos de juego, hacen de este, un excelente juego, obligatorio de tener si tienes Wii U.
  10. Jun 9, 2014
    The main problem i have had with previous pikmin games is that it takes some time to get into. In this installment in the Pikmin series, the game is more polished than ever. the game is faster paced. the game has controller options (it is best with a wii remote and nunchuck). the game feels like what a true pikmin sequel should be
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    It's like playing Pikmin 2 again for the first time and now I can call Pikmin a game series. The game has great characters, a much more involved storyline then the other Pikmin games, great wii remote integration, 2 new and very useful types of Pikmin as well as all the originals, and many nods to the previous games.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    In the beginning, there was nothing except Mr. Miyamoto. Mr. Miyamoto said "Let there be Pikmin 3!" The game began to materialise, sometimes fading back into delay, but eventually coming fully into existence. Mr. Miyamoto was pleased with what he'd created, and distributed Pikmin 3 all around the world for others to enjoy. At this point, you're probably wondering where everyone else cameIn the beginning, there was nothing except Mr. Miyamoto. Mr. Miyamoto said "Let there be Pikmin 3!" The game began to materialise, sometimes fading back into delay, but eventually coming fully into existence. Mr. Miyamoto was pleased with what he'd created, and distributed Pikmin 3 all around the world for others to enjoy. At this point, you're probably wondering where everyone else came from. To which I'd say that that isn't all that important. What is important, however, is the fact that Pikmin 3 is definitely the best game on Wii U to date. The controls feel very natural with the Wii Remote Nunchuk combo with its simple "point and click" mechanic, making it easy to grasp for beginners, and easy to manoeuvre for the more experienced Pikmin players. And the crazy-addictive Mission mode and Bingo Battle multiplayer more than make up for the slight shortness of the Story mode. But the shortness is again justified as the game records your top five fastest runs through Story mode to keep you engaged for longer as you strive for a personal best or a world record. And the graphics; oh, bellissimo! Normally, I would say graphical detail doesn't matter in video games. But just one glance at the visuals and your jaw will hit the floor, such is its beauty. In fact, Pikmin 3 boasts the best graphical detail I've ever seen in any video game, making the wait for future titles of the same detail that much more exciting (and agonising!). Overall, this game is pretty much perfect. Sure, your Pikmin may get stuck in annoying places. Or they might not even come when called. But that will hardly prove to be any hindrance. Fan of the franchise or not, this is a must-buy for any Wii U owner, and a system seller for anyone on the fence about buying a Wii U. Pikmin 3 marks the beginning of the end of the Wii U's "drought", and a gratifying revival of a franchise nine years dormant. Expand
  13. Sep 4, 2013
    This is the kind of game Wii U was made for. It's cute, the graphics are more animate-y than realistic (a good thing). The strategy element is fantastic on par with some of the more violent and civ-based strategy games. Great game.
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is an incredible game It's a real time strategy game and it's easy and fun to play Everybody should play this because it's an unforgettable experience .its gorgeous in HD the gameplay is fantastic and overall a fantastic game
  15. Aug 4, 2013
    Instant classic. It's a game that is fun, humorous, challenging, brilliant and full of charm. It's a crowning moment for Nintendo with a perfect release like this.
  16. Aug 5, 2013
    There's nothing quite like PIkmin. It's the perfect mix of strategy, puzzle, action, simplicity, style and substance. You gather and grow Pikmin to suit your needs to explore levels and recover items. The only thing I can think that might bother some people is the timer, but running out of time for a day only serves as a way to break up your gameplay experience and gives hardcore playersThere's nothing quite like PIkmin. It's the perfect mix of strategy, puzzle, action, simplicity, style and substance. You gather and grow Pikmin to suit your needs to explore levels and recover items. The only thing I can think that might bother some people is the timer, but running out of time for a day only serves as a way to break up your gameplay experience and gives hardcore players bragging rights when they do things the fastest way possible. In no way does being speedy matter other than to give you something to shoot for when you decide to play through the story again. With new levels, new Pikmin types, better graphics and new modes, this game is a worthy addition to the series and seriously a reason to buy a Wii U. You absolutely can't find a game quite like Pikmin on any other platform. Expand
  17. Aug 6, 2013
    Ok so the controls in this game aren't a problem but it is starting to look like even Nintendo themselves are struggling to think of any fun or practical uses for the Wii U gamepad. With this being a RTS I opted for old Wii remote and nun-chuck controls as they basically act like a mouse. The gamepad sat in it's cradle being used only as a map (and not a very useful one). Nintendo haveOk so the controls in this game aren't a problem but it is starting to look like even Nintendo themselves are struggling to think of any fun or practical uses for the Wii U gamepad. With this being a RTS I opted for old Wii remote and nun-chuck controls as they basically act like a mouse. The gamepad sat in it's cradle being used only as a map (and not a very useful one). Nintendo have created a needlessly convoluted control scheme which turns your T.V. and gamepad into a giant DS. The problem with that is it's not compact like a handheld console and actually takes quite a bit of getting used to looking at one screen then another when your trying to get immersed in a game.

Like I say though the controls aren't really a problem, what is a problem is the mission structure and lack of depth to the campaign mode. Levels are small, Nintendo's solution is to impose short time limits by dividing your exploration up into days. Before you've had a chance to really do anything the day ends and your forced to watch the same cut scene and read the same dialogue at the end of every day. Very soon a feeling of repetition ensues. That feeling of repetition soon ended though with the game being just 11 hours long and having no real replay-ability.

That's just the story mode though. Thankfully Pikmin 3 also has a challenge mode that is much more engaging. Trying to beat your high score on a challenge or boss fight feels more rewarding and satisfying. Uploading your score also means you can see how well your doing compared to other players. Graphics, music and presentation are all excellent as you'd expect. Pikmin 3 is a good game, not great not essential. Even on a console with no games.
  18. Aug 29, 2013
    This is one of the games that you should get a WiiU for just to play this game. Pikmin 3 Is amazing! It's hard but it gives you a chance to replay it, which i love doing.
    In conclusion, if you don't have Pikmin 3 and you have a WiiU, buy Pikmin 3 ASAP.
    If you don't have a WiiU and you want Pikmin 3, buy Pikmin 3 and a Wii U.
  19. Aug 21, 2013
    this is what the wii-u was made for. you need to play it if you want to get back into those smooth graphics, how the water, air and natural surroundings make you feel like you're floating on clouds or cotton candy or something. i love how nintendo developers are actually artistic rather than realistic baroque squares. anyway play the damn game.
  20. Aug 19, 2013
    Probably the first must-own game on the Wii U. Pikmin 3 is by far the best game in the series. The use of 3 main characters, additional depth in battle strategy, new pikmin types, and focus on time/sunset, have combined to make this worthy experience of any gamer's time. I haven't even tried the acclaimed bingo battles, but Wii U owners can finally justify their console purchase.
  21. Oct 29, 2013
    Long awaited Pikmin 3 had finally bring their hopes up to every dedicated Nintendo fans. Shigeru Miyamoto made a great effort on the 3rd game and deserves a comeback. Dedicated Pikmin lovers recommended this game on the Wii U, you will never miss out on the hit game!
  22. Aug 27, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a masterpiece. Flying pikmin and the gameplay is intense. This is the best high definition game. The hidden memos are nice and with extra challenges you get your money worth. multiplayer is awesome.
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a really good game, there are bad things added in this, and good things. A bad thing is that, when you go in a cave, theres no sublevels and just a room or 2. Plus, when you fight a boss in a cave, the time still goes down, so you might have to fight the boss again the next day. A good thing is, for me at least, how you have a fruit supply to get, and how it is real fruit, likeThis is a really good game, there are bad things added in this, and good things. A bad thing is that, when you go in a cave, theres no sublevels and just a room or 2. Plus, when you fight a boss in a cave, the time still goes down, so you might have to fight the boss again the next day. A good thing is, for me at least, how you have a fruit supply to get, and how it is real fruit, like there is an apple, a banana, grapes, and that stuff. One thing I did not like, you don't play as Olimar and Louie. You do play as them in the last 3 levels of Mission mode, only in collect treasure and defeat enemies though. I highly suggest you get this game. Plus, 2 new pikmin! Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a charming strategy game that focuses on time/resource management. Basically, you command a horde of tiny workers that will carry out any task that you impose on them. There are different types of Pikmin and each type has its own unique abilities that can be applied to puzzles throughout the world. Rock Pikmin can break through hard surfaces while pink Pikmin can fly toPikmin 3 is a charming strategy game that focuses on time/resource management. Basically, you command a horde of tiny workers that will carry out any task that you impose on them. There are different types of Pikmin and each type has its own unique abilities that can be applied to puzzles throughout the world. Rock Pikmin can break through hard surfaces while pink Pikmin can fly to retrieve previously unreachable treasures and so on. During the campaign, you are constantly working towards the next plot point but you need to manage your food, Pikmin and time while you are doing this. The crew (and Pikmin) escapes to the stars every night and they share a bottle of juice after each day so you need to ensure that you are collecting fruit to generate more juice while you are working towards your other goals. The campaign itself is fairly easy but the mission and bingo modes offer more challenge if you are up for it.

As for the technical, the visuals are great (screenshots online don’t do the game justice easily better than any current gen console game) but the controls are only ok. Targeting is somewhat awkward with the control sticks and the wiimote is too finicky imo. Most people seem to prefer the wiimote but I find that I am more comfortable with the control sticks personally.

The only other complaint I have with the game is the lack of online multiplayer. Local multiplayer is fun and all but I am missing the competiveness of playing with strangers.
  25. Oct 3, 2013
    I'll start out by saying Pikmin 1 and 2 were a fun, long winded, challenging romp at gaming that explored everything the gamecube and it's controller could do. It built upon a concept of deep, challenging gameplay that tested the player to their wits ends and built upon a concept of a massive amount of content and quality.

Pikmin 3 is a big, HD billboard that has essentially castrated

Pikmin 3 is a big, HD billboard that has essentially castrated the previous games difficulty level by removing key gameplay elements. The lack of marching makes the game feel shallow and unchallenging, it removes all sense if urgency when fighting a enemy as dodging is not only clumsy, but god like as it seems to save you from just about any problem.

Worst of all, the game is far too short, easily beat it at 100 percent in under 17 hours. Something you couldn't have done in pikmin 2 in under 25-30. Worst of all, though, is the fact that the levels are super linear and pretty much each trail leads you right to whatever you're looking for.

I feel like this is a watered down game, made easy to appeal to a crowd that didn't like the other games, and as far as I'm concerned, screw those people.

Worst of all is the fact that most of the time and money on this game went into making it pretty, not deep. That alone makes me want to flip a table.

Now before the butthurt superfans come in here and start telling me its art or you don't pay for content, see yourselves too the door and don't embarrass yourselves. Honestly, I've grown to expect a certain level of quality and quantity with this series and this game just DID not deliver. So I'm sorry if I have standards and you don't.

The fact that the game has not even half the amount of enemies or bosses as pikmin 2 is discouraging. The complete removal of the piklopedia and descriptions is discouraging. It's literally like they sacraficed massive content (the thing that turned everyone into a pikmin fan) just to make the game super pretty. It seriously kills me inside coming from a guy who believes Pikmin 2 is the greatest game ever made.
  26. Oct 18, 2013
    visually impeccable, nintendo was the last to join the HD generation looks more like she is already on her for years and such graphical quality of this game.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    A few frustrating moments using the gamepad lessened my overall enjoyment with the experience, I recommend wii mote nunchuck for some battles. Overall great game though. I read that Miyamoto is possibly prepping up some downloadable expansion content. I hope this happens!
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    This is my first pikmin game, and it won me over. The beautifully detailed environment helped to rope me in and immerse me. The gameplay was great, other than a few annoyances like having to throw a crew member and THEN take control of them, and maybe it was just me but the whenever I wanted to throw pikmin really fast it would through like 3 quickly, then pause for a split second, thenThis is my first pikmin game, and it won me over. The beautifully detailed environment helped to rope me in and immerse me. The gameplay was great, other than a few annoyances like having to throw a crew member and THEN take control of them, and maybe it was just me but the whenever I wanted to throw pikmin really fast it would through like 3 quickly, then pause for a split second, then throw some more. Truthfully the puzzle solving wasn't that hard, but what is very challenging and fun is all the multitasking opportunities. Even though I had plenty of fruit that I didn't NEED to rush, it was fun trying to maximize my efficiency. The game was pretty funny at times too, and the pikmin themselves were awesome. It felt horrible when they would die, especially if it was because of a dumb mistake on your part, and this shows just how immersive this game really is. Expand
  29. Oct 30, 2013
    The reason why I got a Wii U at the first place, and it totaly worthed it. Too bad nintendo won't make a new pikmin game for the next gorillion years. Masterpiece for a pikmin fan as myself.
  30. Oct 27, 2014
    Pikmin 3 is the best in the series, and while it doesn't offer the same quantity of content as Pikmin did, it certainly looks for the entertainment of a wide variety of players, with its classic and redefined combat system, strategic nature and amusing art direction. However, ugly textures in some strict points (like the ground), and not very precise control schemes, may be the onlyPikmin 3 is the best in the series, and while it doesn't offer the same quantity of content as Pikmin did, it certainly looks for the entertainment of a wide variety of players, with its classic and redefined combat system, strategic nature and amusing art direction. However, ugly textures in some strict points (like the ground), and not very precise control schemes, may be the only inconveniences with Pikmin 3. Expand

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Pikmin 3 combines RTS elements, direct action and light puzzles. The result is a quite endearing scifi-adventure despite some control issues and bland splitscreen multiplayer. There's also no real need to develop special tactics for bosses. [Aug 2013]
    Pikmin 3 is a greatly balanced, challenging at the right moments, original, adorable, and above all continually entertaining real-time strategy game, making you smile instantly. It's suited for all the gamers of all ages, and for both genders. [Issue#232]
  3. Sep 16, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a cute game with plenty of soul. It takes the concept from the two previous games one step further with the way it combines tactics with roleplaying. In terms of graphics this is probably the most beautiful game the world has ever seen on a Nintendo console.