4.9

1. Jul 29, 2014
    Pokémon Rumble, for Wii, was a cheap, fun little diversion that I hoped to see more of.
    Pokémon Rumble Blast, for 3DS, took what made the first game enjoyable and expanded upon that gameplay, offering new features, battle modes, and interesting levels. It still might not have justified its price point, but I was alright with it. I knew about what I could expect for my money.

Pokémon
    Rumble U is a complete disappointment. It seems the developers just got sick of level design and said "Screw it, let's just use the same arena for every level, putting some different thematic elements and decorations on it once in a while. The demographic we're targeting probably won't notice or care."

Well, some of us do care. I was looking forward to being able to catch all 649 Pokémon in a single game like this, but the experience feels so stagnant, repetitive, and dull that I wouldn't bother completing this game unless I had exhausted literally thousands of other games, which I deem more worth my time than this pathetic cash grab.

As a side note, I didn't buy the game for its NFC features, and had no intentions of buying any of the figurines. I look forward to Nintendo's Amiibo features in future games, where it will actually be worth buying complementary figures. I feel, however, that too many reviews of Pokémon Rumble U hone in on the figurine ploy, which, though I'll admit it wasn't the best move, isn't essential to the core gameplay, and certainly not necessary.

Anyway, yeah. Don't buy this game. The first game was good, the second game was better, this third entry in the series should have Garbodor as its mascot.
  2. Feb 8, 2014
    It is a simple beat n' up with much Pokemon to collect which increases replay value. The only problem is that it is a bit short. But otherwise a good game overall.
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    Pokémon rumble u is a repetitive beat um up game Their is fun to be had but sometimes it can be boring not worth the 15 euro price tag (in Europe). overall an average game.
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    A seemingly profitable concept that could have been the bane of parents' wallets around the world. Unfortunately Pokemon Rumble U lacks the staying power to keep even the most engrossed young Pokemon fans satisfied. Parents got lucky with this bomb.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    The lack of a shop to sell the Pokemon makes the game incomplete. The worst thing is that it is very repetitive by using only two buttons. It would be better to use at least the 4 buttons for the game to become less boring. The positive thing about this game is that it contains enough levels though they  are similar and that this game can enjoy better playing it with friends or family and itit would be better to have an online mode where you can fight against other people. Although it shows that the developers did not put much effort into this game, you can enjoy when you have free time. Expand
  6. Sep 11, 2013
    A charming game that'll appeal to fans of the series especially the original game. Rumble U centers around arena matches with fixed opponents differing to the usual 'fight through the level' style used previously (although resembling the Battle Royale matches of the original). Rumble U also makes use of the Wii U Pad's NFC features, enabling the player to buy and use the figures in-game. Although I adore having the figures, they tend to be very over-powered (especially the Kyurem figures bundled with the special edition).
    Basically, if you enjoyed the Battle Royale of the original, or maybe liked the figures from Skylanders, you'll enjoy this (although it may get repetitive).
    If you're looking for some sort of story, turn to the 3DS version.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    Nobody played the original Pokemon Rumble games for the terrible arena fights, the trail levels were what kept the game interesting. By making a game comprised solely of boring and soulless arena fights I don't feel I can trust the Pokemon Rumble franchise anymore
  8. Sep 5, 2013
    A missed opportunity on Nintendo's part.
    I went out and bought a handful of the NFC figures and was super hyped about getting to finally use the NFC functions of the Wii U gamepad. Unfortunately, this is the ONLY redeeming factor of this game. Every level is almost exactly the same, and very small on top of that. It's clearly aimed at small children who don't mind mashing buttons to
    produce shiny lights on screens.
    Also, having the NFC figures sold as a blind grab is a clear punch in the gut to the consumer. Bastards know I need to have them all.
    They could have done so much more with the combination of this franchise and the NFC technology. A well executed attempt could have rivaled Skylanders or Disney Infinity in my opinion. They certainly have an established consumer base to gouge. Hell, I've been playing Pokemon games since I was a kid, and I'm 28.
  9. Sep 2, 2013
    I'm not sure I entirely understand why this game is hated so much. However at the same time, it's not like the game gets a free pass for its shortcomings.

The basics: Some toy-store employees drop a box of Pokémon toys, which proceed to float downstream. When they leave said stream, they set off on a journey to find the other toys. On this quest they face off against each other in
    different-themed arenas with a handful of challenges to accomplish. To enhance the game experience, players can scan real-life NFC Pokémon figures to battle.

The core gameplay is simple and accessible enough; players mash the B and A buttons on the Wii U GamePad to attack enemy Pokémon toys, and can occasionally use the touch-screen to blast away at enemies provided they collect enough yellow shards. Three other players can join in with Wii remotes turned to their sides like NES controllers. It's easy and simplistic enough for anyone old or young to get into, but this accessibility only goes so far in the case of long-term appeal and enjoyability. Playing it alone can get boring, but I can also imagine multi-player sessions ending quickly.

Long story short, it's one of those games that are fun in short bursts, and possibly addicting too. Pokémon fans (or fans of games that are fun in short action-filled bursts) should give it a try. Anyone else looking for a deeper experiences should look elsewhere.
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    very fun and simple game to play with a bunch of people. a little costly but the core game play stays the same as the others in this series. love the new toy pop mode where you can see how rare the Pokemon toys you got are. one downfall did not have the same exploration mode as past games.
  11. Aug 29, 2013
    Once you get your head around whats going on the busy screen its good fun. It's a little simple in terms of game play, but that's not always a bad thing. Maybe a little pricey in terms of value for money though.

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Pokemon Rumble U is a major setback for the spin-off series in many ways.
  2. A slight, but serviceable spin-off that has bags of energy, if little else. [Nov 2013, p.80]
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    While it’s alright in quick bursts, it gets tiring very quickly, and it won’t be too long before you find yourself wanting to go back to main series games and play something more fulfilling.