9.0

1. Jul 7, 2014
    What a game! With the addition of new characters, new power ups and gorgeous new visuals it's clear to see why this is one of the stand out titles for the Wii U.

I've recently only just purchased my Wii U, with Mario Kart and Wind Waker, and by far this is the game that's taken up most of my time.

Anyone who says that Mario games are too easy clearly hasn't gone much further than the
    first couple of worlds in this game, the bosses have a bit of ease to them, but regardless the fun factor is apparent throughout the whole game. The challenge comes in getting all 3 stars, stamps, and to the top of the flagpole.

This game is far from boring, and is showcasing that although sticking to old formats, Nintendo are not afraid to push in new formulas into their Mario games. With the addition of power-ups like Double Mario, it becomes an inherently more interesting world straight off the bat.

I've high anticipation for Captain Toads own adventures as I found his levels brilliant.
  2. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly magical Mario adventure. It may not take many chances but it does everything with such flair it hardly matters.

Super Mario 3D World's gameplay isn't revolutionary by any means. It simply takes the tried and tested Mario formula and improves on it in almost every single way, adding a bunch of great new ideas along the way. The controls are flawlessly tight, the frame rate as smooth and rock solid as it has ever been and the new ideas (and there are plenty of them) all work like an absolute charm. There's the cat suit, which is the most adorable thing ever, allowing you to climb walls and reach areas of maps you otherwise couldn't. This gives a fun element of exploration to the levels on a level that I've never experienced in a 3D Mario game before. There's ideas used from all sorts of previous Mario games and the sliding Nessie levels which are similar to the N64's famous penguin slide level are a particular highlight. The ability to use 4 characters from the onset (including Peach) makes this game really unique in the Mario series. All the characters are well balanced and yet different enough to make using each of them a unique experience. I should also mention at this point that the boss battles are perhaps some of the most inventive of any Mario game. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another new addition are the excellent captain toad levels which bring a nice puzzle element to proceedings. Playing as captain toad who can't jump or attack means even the humble goomba is a mighty enemy and really brings some fresh gameplay to the table. Collecting the 5 green stars as our small hero is a lot of fun and requires good planning above reflexes!

The multiplayer is a chaotic but very fun experience when played against each other but I found it most enjoyable when working together to complete levels. It adds a completely new dimension to the game and I'd thoroughly recommend getting some friends round and giving it a blast!

Visually this blows all previous Mario games squarely out the park. It's an absolute stunner. The shiny sheen on everything and varied use of colour throughout the levels makes this a real feast for the eyes and quite possibly the best looking game I've yet to have the joy of playing on any console. The 3D and yet classically styled overworld is a great modern take on an old concept and really helps give the game a polished feel. It continues to wow me with it's visuals to this day, and I've played a lot of it.

Content wise there is plenty. There are 8 worlds with plenty of levels and a further Mario Galaxy inspired world (which is brilliant) that you unlock after completing the first 8 worlds. It doesn't end there though there are a few more worlds featuring fresh takes on other levels to unlock. Couple this plethora of worlds with the 3 stars and stamp to collect on each level and you've got a massive game. Collecting the stars feels fun and essential and although certainly challenging has as of yet never felt like a chore to me, and I've collected a lot of them!

In conclusion this is an absolute gem of a game and already belongs to my all-time favourites. It has that 'one more level' gameplay that gets you hooked and it's such a blast to play that I'm sure I'll be playing this for a long while yet. In fact I have trouble deciding whether Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or this are the best Mario game, which is high praise indeed!
  3. Jul 15, 2014
    The natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to be distinct, and the art style and music give the game a fantastic vibrancy few games have today. An utter delight to play. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games I have ever played in YEARS. It starts off with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad taking a nice stroll in the Mushroom Kingdom. Suddenley they encounter a broken Clear Warp Pipe, Mario and Luigi in plumber fashion fix up the Pipe and suddenley a green fairy known as the Sprixie pops out and tells Mario and company that Bowser is up to his evil schemes. Bowser suddenly pops out of the pipe, captures the Sprixie and takes her away. Mario and company without hesitation jump into the pipe and follow Bowser. They are taken to a whole new world known as the Sprixie Kingdom where Bowser has captured all the Sprixies in 7 different landscapes all of them with there respective themes. So now Mario and company have TWO objectives: Save the 7 Sprixies and the Sprixie Kingdom. This game is a blast especially in Multiplayer, the fun NEVER ends and it NEVER will, this is a must buy game for the Wii U and a very fun game in general. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    This Game is a good example of a good game, It has AMAZING graphics and good controls just like all of the other Mario games I would love to see another Mario game like this a game to play with your family Thanks Nintendo
  6. Jul 28, 2014
    Do not purchase this game! One of the worst games I've played in over two years. Cons: The option to pick up/jump on your fellow player(s) from Super Mario Bros. Wii is still there and it still causes mass amount of frustration amongst the couple/group. The cat suit is not great and hopefully will be forgotten in future entries into the main series. Most of the music doesn't feel like "Mario" and is continuously rehashed throughout the game. Touching or rubbing the game pad was distracting and ruined the pace of any level requiring it. Pros: Captain Toad and Plessie levels were intriguing and a welcome break from the main entry. The mic blowing to discover hidden objects and deter mini goombas was interesting, but, did not add quality to the game. The double cherries were also interesting but were used very rarely. Having all four of the classic characters from Super Mario Bros. 2 instead of 2 toads was the best thing about this game. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2014
    Best game on the Wii U. As challenging and addictive as the Mario games before. This is actually my favourite release since Mario 64. Enjoyed collecting all the stars.
  8. Aug 6, 2014
    Ok, this is a tough one.
    This game is Awesome, but I understand why some people dont like it.
    For everyone who expects a new 3D Mario Game, like SM64 or sunshine will be disappointed. But for everyone who expects a solid new Jump'n'run will be surprised on how good this game is. The Levels are perfect designed, the multyplayer is great and fun, and this Game is HUGE. You can spend hours
    and hours non stop and still find new stuff. For every Wii U owner, this is a must buy, when you have a fun with plattformers. If you dont, than why do you buy a Nintendo console? Expand
  9. Aug 16, 2014
    This definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My only problems with this game is that it was too easy, and the gamepad wasn't used very well, but this is still a stellar must buy for any and all Wii u owners. Expand
  10. Aug 18, 2014
    One of the best games for play in local multiplayer with friends and family. Challenging enough and a lot of secret levels after complete the story. Must have for Wii U.
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is really good. Music is great. It plays like Mario 3D land, but better. Is a good to play with friends and family. but is competitive play could be turn off. Overall I say get it.
  12. Aug 22, 2014
    O.M.G i love this game it's not just my favourite mario game it's my favourite game of all time the music, the graphics the level design are all fantastic the story is meh i love the cat suit, double cherry, multiplayer, special worlds ecepet fire flower, characters are perfect bosses are perfect and is THE best sounding mario game EVER!
  13. Aug 24, 2014
    Mario 3D world is by far one of the most charming Mario games out to date. It offers an experience that can be very smooth and very hectic if you want. It reminds me of the taut competition of Mario's early days against Luigi.

3D world allows you to once more take control of Princess Peach and Toad alongside the titular Mario brothers but in a way that plays homage to one of the
    earliest Mario games. For old fans of the series, 3D world controls like Super Mario Bros 2 would if it was pushed into 3 dimensions as each character is given their trademark ability from that game. (I am uncertain if these abilities appear in 3D Land) There are some trouble with depth perception in the beginning but the games steady rise in difficulty and its generosity with lives pretty much ensure that the player does not have to worry about lives. But this is a double edged sword for this game. Long time fans who seek a challenge will find the very levels to be painfully easy but the game's difficulty will raise near the later half of the game. That being said, 3D Land offers a great starting point for new fans to jump into the series and enjoy a journey with the plumber in red. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2014
    Everything in this game is awesome. The 3D gameplay is just outstanding! The new power ups are so much fun and helpful. And finally Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach for once. Its a must play. If you have a Wii U, don't miss out.
  15. Sep 3, 2014
    Pure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this game even more enjoyable. Even that this game has tons of great parts about it there are still downsides. Having to go back and grind for more stars to open the next work can be some what boring when you are playing with friends and playing alone can be difficult sometimes. But the small problems hardly change that this is a amazing game worth all of your hard earned dollars. Expand
  16. Sep 9, 2014
    It's a good game, better than most games released in 2013, but it's not as good as the critics say it is. If you liked Super Mario Galaxy, this is going to be a disappointment. This is pretty much Super Mario 3D Land with multiplayer. The graphics are simple yet pretty. The music is not as epic as it was in SMG, but the whole game doesn't have the epic wibe of SMG so I guess it fits in well. The gameplay feels familiar but it still has new mechanics that will keep you interested. Worth a buy, but don't expect too much. Expand
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    It looks like trash and plays like a 5 year old's video game. The levels are simple, short and offer no real challenge. I have had mild fun playing the worse Mario game ever when playing with others, but once your playing single player you'll see how shallow this game really is. I'm SHOCKED that any professional reviewer scored this a 10/10 they must have been some real hardcore Iwata groupies, I hope IGN, Game Spot & others FIRE these clowns, their reviews are very misleading. The only reason why so many WII U owners try saying it's excellent because they are happy with anything NINTENDO SPITS at them after the long drought the WII U had and still has. Seriously Nintendo if your going to make us wait 3 to 6 months inbetween games please don't give us a Mario crossed with Dora The Explorer game. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2014
    When it comes to pure fun. This is simply one of the best Mario games and one of the best platformers, in general, in a long, long time. Great graphics, great gameplay, great music. Pure unadulterated fun straight up
  19. Sep 13, 2014
    Más de lo mismo, más de 30 años jugando a lo mismo CANSA! Donde está la next gen??? un juego de menos de dos gigas, eso ocupaban algunos en PSX...
  20. Sep 18, 2014
    I will begin by explaining that I have been playing Mario games for the past 25 years. I have played every title in the main series, so I am reviewing this game from the perspective of a Mario 'expert' if you like.

My relationship with Super Mario 3D World is a little odd. I will admit that on first seeing the game I wasn't really that excited. It looked very pretty in HD and
    everything, but everything looked a little sterile (especially when compared to the 2 Super Mario Galaxy games. Of course graphics do not make a game, so I thought I would reserve judgement until I finally got my hands on it.

My first few hours with it I kept thinking to myself that something just felt a bit off about it. It controlled perfectly, the enemy designs and animation were flawless, but it still felt strangely flat. I decided to replay some Super Mario Galaxy to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I instantly realized that in comparison Super Mario Galaxy just 'felt' more like a 3d Mario game...Mario 3d World didn't. Super Mario 3d World is like a classic 2d Mario game, but in the 3rd dimension. I think it is largely down to the level design. Most of the levels here do not really utilise the 3rd dimension to any great effect in their gameplay. They could just as easily be played with the camera locked horizontally with you moving from left to right, but also allowing your to move in and out of the screen. In fact there is a level set on a beach in this game that does just that.

It seems to me that this has been a design choice that Nintendo have been moving towards with their 3d Mario games for a while now. Super Mario Galaxy's levels were less like the open playgrounds of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Then Super Mario Galaxy 2 had levels that were even less free roaming. Maybe it is a concerted effort of Nintendo's to unify the design of both 2d and 3d Mario games? I hope not. I really enjoy a good 2d Mario game, and some of the 2d games are among my favorite games of all time. But I really love having the variation between the 2d and 3d series.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good game. I still enjoy playing it occasionally. And it packs in a real challenge towards the end (in fact I think this game represents the best difficulty balance compromise of any game I have ever played. Most players will be able to reach the ending with perseverance, but there are optional and hidden levels that even veterans will find a struggle. The graphics are still for the most part a bit sterile and plastic-like. I think Nintendo were still figuring out the whole HD thing here, and you can see clear experimentation of textures on some levels. Mario Kart 8 is an indication that the have finally sussed this issue out, and I hope that the next 3d Mario game will have a richer, more 'organic' look.,

I should mention the multiplayer, as it seems this was a big focus for Nintendo when making this game. It is fun, and me and my regular group of gaming friends will play together every now and then, but it hardly an essential multiplayer experience (it is usually discarded in favor of Mario Kart 8 or Nintendo land in our group).

So to summarize...this is a bit of a Mario by numbers. Still a really good game, but not up there with Super Mario 64, or the Mario Galaxy games.
  21. Oct 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Tons of levels and collectibles, amazing graphics, great controls, good soundtrack and cute voice acting. The game looks easy at first, but it becomes more challenging later on.
  22. Oct 3, 2014
    Best mario game i have played in years! Love it to bits. Playing multiplayer in this game is great and who would of thought beening a cat would bring so much fun. Seing Bowser as cat in the boss level of world Bowser is Cute. Deffientely recommened
  23. Oct 13, 2014
    Oh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, the music is a thing of sheer wpicness all by itself, but then being pushed further by the best graphics on Wii U yet, I can go on and on, but the message would always be the same, the game RULES! Expand
  24. Oct 19, 2014
    Wow, words cannot describe how amazing this game turned out! I have played many Mario games, from the original game from the 70s to this. This one has to be the 2nd best (1st is the original).

1. Jul 25, 2014
    While not as revolutionary as Mario 64 or Galaxy, 3D World manages to feel simultaneously fresh and nostalgic in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series never quite realized.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]
  3. Feb 19, 2014
    I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series.