9.0

1. Jan 20, 2015
    What a fantastic game! Easily one of the better Mario games of the history! Highly recommended.
    Pros: The graphics are pretty good, on the 8th generation level, although I can't enjoy them completely because my TV isn't HD. The level design is incredibly beautiful and makes the levels become unique. The soundtrack is gorgeous and the gameplay is cool, with high quality control response. This game is also very fun, even in single player. The new features are also very interesting and add a ton of quality to the game.
    Cons: The game is too easy; in one week I was already on world 8. Worse: I found several times when there is a huge series of easy levels and suddenly I found a super-hard level that took me like 20 lives. Also, the collectibles are cool, but strange: some are ridiculously easy to find, while others are very hidden and are insanely hard to find without YouTube help.
    Overall: that's a wonderful game that worth the $60. Buy it and have fun!
  2. Jan 19, 2015
    One of the best Mario games of all time. The gameplay is incredible and the graphics are one of the best in the console. The multiplayer is really fun and the last battle with Bowser is just amazing!
  3. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel likeThis game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel like grade A nintendo entertainment. Worth a pick up for anybody with a Wii U. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2015
    I really liked this game, even though it wasn't that challenging. It felt like i was playing a party game, like it was designed for children. I don't think that's a bad thing, it brings back the classic mario feeling, it reminded me of the games i played when i was about 10 years old. The only really hard level was the last one, witch has got me very frustrated.
  5. Jan 11, 2015
    Apparently, Mario games with a 10 out of 10 rating are not hard to come by anymore. I would never have thought I would have to decide if a game is better than Galaxy 2 or not!

Super Mario 3D World is simply fantastic. There's literally no other way to say it. It has fantastic level design, amazing new power-ups, simple controls, and spectacular music! Every level is different from the one before it and the next! (excluding some of the...other worlds) You can tell how much effort when into making each level unique and stand out. You might be riding on Plessie in the water on one level, catching bunnies in a savanna in the next, and then avoiding Piranha Plants in a dangerous swamp later!

The bosses are another high point in the series. Let's be honest here, 3D Land's bosses were incredibly repetitive and could become boring after a while. That all changes here! Bosses like Hisstocrat and Motley Bossblob in particular are very memorable and unique! It's true that all the bosses seem to take place in the middle of nowhere...but honestly who cares? All the bosses seem like they belong in the Galaxy games: that's a good thing! The Bowser fights are also memorable with the final one in particular being amazing!

The new Cat Bell and Double Cherry power-ups are perhaps some of the most unique power-ups in the Mario series! The Cat Bell turns you into a cat (of course). You can climb up walls, scratch enemies, and even get to the top of the flagpole much easier than you can normally. The Double Cherry power-up can be a bit irritating at times as it can make many clones of your character. It begs the question: if you lose one of the characters the Double Cherry made, could that be the real one?

The Super Mario Bros. 2 character cast is a much needed breath of fresh air in the series. It can get pretty boring to be Mario and Luigi only after a while but with the addition of new characters like Peach and Toad, it never gets repetitive! Peach can hover just like in SMB2 and Toad's super fast. Toad's my personal favorite of the bunch but that's probably just because he's one of my favorite Mario characters overall.

The soundtrack is just as great as the Galaxy games! That is something I honestly never thought I'd say. The Double Cherry Pass theme and Hisstocrat theme in particular are easily some of the best Mario soundtracks ever! The return of live orchestrated music is a great addition and I sincerely hopes it returns in many more Mario games!

Overall, Super Mario 3D World is another game that justifies a Wii U purchase and it is another fantastic entry in the Mario franchise! There's not a single bad thing in the game, just like Galaxy 2!
  6. Jan 9, 2015
    This game is amazing. it is a mix of the Mario galaxy type platforming with a little bit of new super Mario bros their. The level design... Don't get me started on how great they are i would say that they are nearly as good as galaxy's (thats a compliment)
  7. Jan 7, 2015
    So much content in this game, that and it's stunning graphics are where it really excels. Even the bonus levels have bonus levels. True to form in difficulty, simple at the beginning and more challenging as it progresses. Music in the game is charming and perfectly suited to level themes and characterisation is cute and better than ever on HD. Agree with Super Mario Galaxy comparisons,So much content in this game, that and it's stunning graphics are where it really excels. Even the bonus levels have bonus levels. True to form in difficulty, simple at the beginning and more challenging as it progresses. Music in the game is charming and perfectly suited to level themes and characterisation is cute and better than ever on HD. Agree with Super Mario Galaxy comparisons, definitely fills that gap until the third game is announced. Would have gladly gave a score of 10 but felt the game lacked imagination on the bonus levels on the world map, highly simple fruit machine concept and power-up box chooser games. Look back at Super Mario Bros. 3 with the card pairing or the shuffle match-up games, even a game from 25 years prior had a touch more magic in that area. Expand
  8. Jan 7, 2015
    I will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. ItI will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. It hooked me from start to excruciating, five-and-a-half hours' worth of solid attempts final-level finish.

Let me take you back in time, to 1997. The move from the 16-bit era to the 32/64-bit one was the biggest shift gaming has known. It was the dawn of 3D games. At that time, the new kid on the block, the Sony PlayStation, was surprisingly trouncing SEGA's Saturn sales-wise, but the one we'd all been waiting for, Nintendo's new N64, was on the horizon. And, more excitingly than the console itself, its flagship title, Super Mario 64. I personally don't recall anticipating any one individual game more. The screenshots I pored over, the magazines I bought just to get a little bit more information on this brave new world, just envisaging how it would feel to play it. It was a combination of being at the perfect age and the mindblowing prospect of what was to come - a Mario game in 3D. I could scarcely imagine what wonders it could bring.

After what seemed like forever, the day arrived and I finally got to play it. And at first, I was somehow disappointed. This wasn't Mario as I knew him. This wasn't really a platformer. For all the awe of being able to command Mario's myriad of new techniques and explore Peach's castle in three dimensions, something had been lost. It was that tightness of control that only games played in a 2D plane can bring. In time I grew to love Mario 64 for what it is, this subtly different new genre of "3D platformer", a little less reflexes-based, a little more cerebral. It's still the finest example of that type of game even now, approaching 20 years later, and without question the most influential game of all time.

Super Mario 3D World is what my naive 14-year-old self from 1997 was expecting Super Mario 64 to be. This is a real platformer. The thrill of precision control, the focus of linear progression, the simple goal of discovery and collection, it's all here. The game features 8-way as opposed to true 360 degree control, which cuts down on the forced uncertainty of playing a game in a 3D world on a 2D TV screen. The title is so incredibly apt, at heart it really is Super Mario World in 3D, but in practice it's so much more. Some small part of me that's always remained troubled by what path the history of gaming took can now eventually be laid to rest.

The game contains a plethora of new ideas. The cat suit, the double cherry, the cannon block, the skating shoe, giant Mario, the pet piranha plant for gobbling baddies, the Boo-disintegrating torches, the multiplayer, the mystery houses, the Captain Toad levels, the 2D shadow sections, the stamps, the Miiverse integration, the Mario Kart level, the inventive bosses, controlling platforms by blowing into the gamepad's microphone, and Plessie the aquatic dinosaur, to name but a few. All of these have meaning, and are not just there for show. For example, with the double cherry (which creates duplicate Marios), Nintendo didn't feel that the enjoyment gleaned from controlling four or five Marios at the same time was enough, they actively work it into the level design - usually if you can survive a good distance with enough of the clones still intact you will be able to open up sections of the course unavailable to a lonely Mario. It's this marriage of invention and design which makes 3D World a cut above.

In the recent past, certain Mario titles have been guilty of trying to recreate the early games in a modern setup, but that was missing the spirit of Mario. The original NES and SNES games were so good because they brought something new to the table each time. They had to - they had very little to fall back on. This is Mario in 2013, and he's never felt more fresh. Where most games of this kind would be content to milk a new gameplay gimmick to death and base a whole game around it, 3D World bases a level or two around each one and then, when its purpose has been served, it discards it, ready to move onto the next new and exciting thing. Creative, compact, concentrated, and the most confident game I've ever played.

Super Mario 3D World is a real statement by Nintendo about the strength of their software teams. When they're at the height of their powers, nobody else comes close. Of all the landmark titles Mario has delivered throughout his history, this stands tall right up there near the peak. It compares more favourably with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World than any game I ever imagined would get close to doing. It captured my heart in a way the Galaxy twins never managed. Make no mistake, this is one of the very best there has ever been.
  9. Jan 5, 2015
    This Mario game is a perfect blend of Galaxy-esque 3D elements and Mario 3 side scrolling segments. So many levels are wonderfully unique and so memorable. Even though I've only owned it for 2 weeks I can already tell that I will be playing it for years and will look back on it with great fondness and nostalgia. Another masterpiece from the Big N.
  10. Jan 4, 2015
    This has quickly become my most favorite Mario game to date. The characters, the worlds, the challenges- it's all tied together in a moustached bow.

Normally I buy a Nintendo system for Smash Bros., but this was the first time since the Nintendo 64 I picked up a console because of a Mario game. I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a

I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a superpower, it was "meh". But that still doesn't stop this game from kicking some serious platform azz!
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    I like very much this game. There are a lot of transformations for example mario cat and more. The best thing of this game is there are four characters mario, luigi, toad and peach
  12. Dec 29, 2014
    The best Mario game since Super Mario Brother 3 on the NES. In the last few years I've struggled to enjoy Nintendo games as I found they had lost that Nintendo charm and quality. Well all I can say is Nintendo are back with Super Mario 3D World. It has character, challenge,fun and that old Nintendo quality that you once expected. I can't fault the game one bit. Go buy it.
  13. Dec 25, 2014
    A very underated game. It has a great art style and theme to it. Levels are quick, but offers an enormous replayability to them. The content offered in the game is so diverse and amazing. Best mario game flr the wii u so far!
  14. Dec 14, 2014
    i'ts ok dejljcecnelkcmejrncjklerjkchnerkljcnmrejincjkre cejniunemcomednci ej ne9ncujen ceouc9ue cuer cejn0r enerdcjneocjn dj neojc jekdc nhjedncdecker0kdmvre nme
  15. Nov 22, 2014
    Better than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you canBetter than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you can see Boom Boom though before he gets old. Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2014
    This one is a winner! Super Mario 3D World combines 2D and 3D gameplay to bring us one of the finest and most enjoyable experiences on Wii U. Its impressive level design is continuously reinventing itself to deliver fun to the players. Another must have for every Wii U owner.
  17. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is great.The controls feel nice,the game does not lag when i play.The bosses has interesting ideas.The new and old power ups made us look at the in different ways.Definilty a recommended if you have a Wii U. Expand
  18. Nov 18, 2014
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Each level is like a little piece of magic. It lacks the grandness of galaxy but expands hugely on 3D Land. A great addictive platformer. Mario does it again.
  19. Nov 14, 2014
    This is the Best 3D Mario platforming game since Super Mario 64. The controls are tight, the levels are creative and colorful, and it is challenging enough to make you feel accomplished every time you finish a level, but not so challenging that the game gets discouraging or frustrating. It is everything you expect from a Nintendo game. I would like to see some DLC for this game in the future.
  20. Nov 11, 2014
    Fantastic game. One of the best Wii U Games around.
    The Gameplay is amazing
    The Music is some of the best i ever heard
    and The multiplayer is too cool!

BUY THE GAME, NOW!!!!
  21. Nov 11, 2014
    This is my favourite Mario game ever. The visuals are stunning, the multiplayer works incredibly well and good times are sure to be had. If you own a wii u, you have to own this game.
  22. Nov 11, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is a must-buy for the system. Working very well on a plethora of very fun, even somewhat challenging levels, the game holds a good standards for the series.

You have your usual count of 7 worlds to play in, plus some to unlock, each world having their own theme, which is more or less respected in each stage. The environments are charming, cute, well-rendered and gives a good "Mario vibe" without feeling too copied. The musics fit very well and is pleasant to listen, which is always a plus.

The difficulty has been balanced, so running through the game is at least a bit more difficult, which is good considering previous installments being overly easy.
    One of my favorite feature is the multiplayer system : at absolutely any time, any moment, it just needs two pressings of a button to add a new player, without even stopping or pausing the game!

The game reeks originality, from the bosses to the level designs and platforming sequences. The new power-up, although a bit silly, is very fun to use and actually enhances the platforming aspect of the game by allowing to climb on the walls and dive-jump, allowing you to take your own path through the levels (and seek the numerous secrets hidden everywhere).

Now of course, the game isn't perfect : it feels a little short if you get into it and tend to end up going through it in a day (like I did at least), and the multiplayer experience does get a little confusing and messy, especially if you're playing with an inexperienced player.

It remains, however, an enjoyable game to play alone or with friends and family.
  23. Nov 8, 2014
    Not so good as Galaxys, but still a very high quality tittle that will make you enjoy every second you play it. At the beginning could same easy but it gets more difficult in last worlds. And it's even funnier when you play with some friends. If you have a Wii U you should have this game.
  24. Nov 5, 2014
    Easily one of the best games on the Wii U. Mario and friends have never looked better. The levels are beautiful and colorful. Nintendo finally figured how to add multiplayer game play into a 3D Mario game and make it fun. Playing with 3 other players is lot of fun and brings back fond memories of playing 4 player games on the N64. Nintendo also figured out how to make the 3D MarioEasily one of the best games on the Wii U. Mario and friends have never looked better. The levels are beautiful and colorful. Nintendo finally figured how to add multiplayer game play into a 3D Mario game and make it fun. Playing with 3 other players is lot of fun and brings back fond memories of playing 4 player games on the N64. Nintendo also figured out how to make the 3D Mario games feel like the 2D Mario games. The exploration is not prevalent like it is in the past 3D Mario games but the frantic style of the 2D game is everywhere. While I like the exploration of past games, the style in this game is a very fresh take on the series. The powerups are very fun and you can't get enough of cat Mario. Like other Mario games, there are a ton of levels. This plus the multiplayer gives this game a lot of replay value. Expand
  25. Oct 27, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World offers a very good experience for those fans who prefer the 2D Mario series and those ones who prefer the 3D. Charming look, flawless controls, nice challenge and a nostalgic adventure is the stuff that awaits you in this game,
  26. Oct 26, 2014
    Summary: Excellent in almost every way... characters have different attributes just like Super Mario Brothers 2. Most fun with Mario I have had since the Super Mario Galaxy games. A Must Buy.

Presentation Excellent presentation, menus and absolutely wonderful to look at. Nintendo continues its tradition of excellent Production Value... Gameplay At first play I was baffled at

Presentation

Gameplay

At first play I was baffled at the apparent slow down in movement when compared to previous games such as Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. As I played I realized this is not a game is the same vein as the preceding titles. It is almost a merging of traditional 2D super Mario games with Mario 64. Thus the name 3D world. Its level design is much different as well. They are much more linear than the previous games. I would consider the Mario "3D" franchise to be new, different and fresh. And boy is it fun. The addition of the run button makes it much easier for younger / inexperienced players to pickup and play.

There are in excess of 100 levels including the new Caption toad puzzle levels.

There are TONS of secrets and just as soon as you think you have the game beat, more worlds appear! I feel like Nintendo really likes to give Value with its games. I have played through and almost got every available star and have nto been able to put it down.

Graphics

Very good indeed... Mario has never looked this good. Presented in 720p 60FPS. As digital foundry found: there are NO dropped frames what so ever... none. Depth of field, shadows, and all kinds of lighting effects make an absolutely breathtaking view from the couch...

Sound

Great sound with Excellent Music. i think there are over 70 compositions in the game! Sound effects are perfect and clear. My Only beef with the sound is lack of better atmospheric use of the surround sound... Nintendo needs to do its 6.1 mixes with more of a movie feel.

Personal Comments

Great game. A must have for any gamer. And I love the Cat Suit!!!
  27. Oct 24, 2014
    Seriously, if there's an idiot saying that this is an average Mario title, he/she is so wrong. Awesome gameplay and gorgeous design makes this game very enjoyable, specially with my friends and cousins.
  28. Oct 19, 2014
    Wow, words cannot describe how amazing this game turned out! I have played many Mario games, from the original game from the 70s to this. This one has to be the 2nd best (1st is the original).
  29. Oct 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Tons of levels and collectibles, amazing graphics, great controls, good soundtrack and cute voice acting. The game looks easy at first, but it becomes more challenging later on.
  30. Oct 13, 2014
    Oh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, theOh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, the music is a thing of sheer wpicness all by itself, but then being pushed further by the best graphics on Wii U yet, I can go on and on, but the message would always be the same, the game RULES! Expand
  31. Oct 3, 2014
    Best mario game i have played in years! Love it to bits. Playing multiplayer in this game is great and who would of thought beening a cat would bring so much fun. Seing Bowser as cat in the boss level of world Bowser is Cute. Deffientely recommened
  32. Sep 11, 2014
    When it comes to pure fun. This is simply one of the best Mario games and one of the best platformers, in general, in a long, long time. Great graphics, great gameplay, great music. Pure unadulterated fun straight up
  33. Sep 3, 2014
    Pure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this gamePure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this game even more enjoyable. Even that this game has tons of great parts about it there are still downsides. Having to go back and grind for more stars to open the next work can be some what boring when you are playing with friends and playing alone can be difficult sometimes. But the small problems hardly change that this is a amazing game worth all of your hard earned dollars. Expand
  34. Aug 24, 2014
    Everything in this game is awesome. The 3D gameplay is just outstanding! The new power ups are so much fun and helpful. And finally Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach for once. Its a must play. If you have a Wii U, don't miss out.
  35. Aug 24, 2014
    Mario 3D world is by far one of the most charming Mario games out to date. It offers an experience that can be very smooth and very hectic if you want. It reminds me of the taut competition of Mario's early days against Luigi.

3D world allows you to once more take control of Princess Peach and Toad alongside the titular Mario brothers but in a way that plays homage to one of the earliest Mario games. For old fans of the series, 3D world controls like Super Mario Bros 2 would if it was pushed into 3 dimensions as each character is given their trademark ability from that game. (I am uncertain if these abilities appear in 3D Land) There are some trouble with depth perception in the beginning but the games steady rise in difficulty and its generosity with lives pretty much ensure that the player does not have to worry about lives. But this is a double edged sword for this game. Long time fans who seek a challenge will find the very levels to be painfully easy but the game's difficulty will raise near the later half of the game. That being said, 3D Land offers a great starting point for new fans to jump into the series and enjoy a journey with the plumber in red.
  36. Aug 22, 2014
    O.M.G i love this game it's not just my favourite mario game it's my favourite game of all time the music, the graphics the level design are all fantastic the story is meh i love the cat suit, double cherry, multiplayer, special worlds ecepet fire flower, characters are perfect bosses are perfect and is THE best sounding mario game EVER!
  37. Aug 18, 2014
    One of the best games for play in local multiplayer with friends and family. Challenging enough and a lot of secret levels after complete the story. Must have for Wii U.
  38. Aug 16, 2014
    This definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My onlyThis definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My only problems with this game is that it was too easy, and the gamepad wasn't used very well, but this is still a stellar must buy for any and all Wii u owners. Expand
  39. Aug 6, 2014
    Ok, this is a tough one.
    This game is Awesome, but I understand why some people dont like it.
    Ok, this is a tough one.
    This game is Awesome, but I understand why some people dont like it.
    For everyone who expects a new 3D Mario Game, like SM64 or sunshine will be disappointed. But for everyone who expects a solid new Jump'n'run will be surprised on how good this game is. The Levels are perfect designed, the multyplayer is great and fun, and this Game is HUGE. You can spend hours and hours non stop and still find new stuff. For every Wii U owner, this is a must buy, when you have a fun with plattformers. If you dont, than why do you buy a Nintendo console?
  40. Jul 31, 2014
    Best game on the Wii U. As challenging and addictive as the Mario games before. This is actually my favourite release since Mario 64. Enjoyed collecting all the stars.
  41. Jul 25, 2014
    This Game is a good example of a good game, It has AMAZING graphics and good controls just like all of the other Mario games I would love to see another Mario game like this a game to play with your family Thanks Nintendo
  42. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games I have ever played in YEARS. It starts off with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad taking a nice stroll in the Mushroom Kingdom. Suddenley they encounter a broken Clear Warp Pipe, Mario and Luigi in plumber fashion fix up the Pipe and suddenley a green fairy known as the Sprixie pops out and tells Mario and company that Bowser is up to his evil schemes. Bowser suddenly pops out of the pipe, captures the Sprixie and takes her away. Mario and company without hesitation jump into the pipe and follow Bowser. They are taken to a whole new world known as the Sprixie Kingdom where Bowser has captured all the Sprixies in 7 different landscapes all of them with there respective themes. So now Mario and company have TWO objectives: Save the 7 Sprixies and the Sprixie Kingdom. This game is a blast especially in Multiplayer, the fun NEVER ends and it NEVER will, this is a must buy game for the Wii U and a very fun game in general. Expand
  43. Jul 15, 2014
    The natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to beThe natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to be distinct, and the art style and music give the game a fantastic vibrancy few games have today. An utter delight to play. Expand
  44. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly magical Mario adventure. It may not take many chances but it does everything with such flair it hardly matters.

Super Mario 3D World's gameplay isn't revolutionary by any means. It simply takes the tried and tested Mario formula and improves on it in almost every single way, adding a bunch of great new ideas along the way. The controls are flawlessly tight, the frame rate as smooth and rock solid as it has ever been and the new ideas (and there are plenty of them) all work like an absolute charm. There's the cat suit, which is the most adorable thing ever, allowing you to climb walls and reach areas of maps you otherwise couldn't. This gives a fun element of exploration to the levels on a level that I've never experienced in a 3D Mario game before. There's ideas used from all sorts of previous Mario games and the sliding Nessie levels which are similar to the N64's famous penguin slide level are a particular highlight. The ability to use 4 characters from the onset (including Peach) makes this game really unique in the Mario series. All the characters are well balanced and yet different enough to make using each of them a unique experience. I should also mention at this point that the boss battles are perhaps some of the most inventive of any Mario game. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another new addition are the excellent captain toad levels which bring a nice puzzle element to proceedings. Playing as captain toad who can't jump or attack means even the humble goomba is a mighty enemy and really brings some fresh gameplay to the table. Collecting the 5 green stars as our small hero is a lot of fun and requires good planning above reflexes!

The multiplayer is a chaotic but very fun experience when played against each other but I found it most enjoyable when working together to complete levels. It adds a completely new dimension to the game and I'd thoroughly recommend getting some friends round and giving it a blast!

Visually this blows all previous Mario games squarely out the park. It's an absolute stunner. The shiny sheen on everything and varied use of colour throughout the levels makes this a real feast for the eyes and quite possibly the best looking game I've yet to have the joy of playing on any console. The 3D and yet classically styled overworld is a great modern take on an old concept and really helps give the game a polished feel. It continues to wow me with it's visuals to this day, and I've played a lot of it.

Content wise there is plenty. There are 8 worlds with plenty of levels and a further Mario Galaxy inspired world (which is brilliant) that you unlock after completing the first 8 worlds. It doesn't end there though there are a few more worlds featuring fresh takes on other levels to unlock. Couple this plethora of worlds with the 3 stars and stamp to collect on each level and you've got a massive game. Collecting the stars feels fun and essential and although certainly challenging has as of yet never felt like a chore to me, and I've collected a lot of them!

In conclusion this is an absolute gem of a game and already belongs to my all-time favourites. It has that 'one more level' gameplay that gets you hooked and it's such a blast to play that I'm sure I'll be playing this for a long while yet. In fact I have trouble deciding whether Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or this are the best Mario game, which is high praise indeed!
  45. Jul 7, 2014
    What a game! With the addition of new characters, new power ups and gorgeous new visuals it's clear to see why this is one of the stand out titles for the Wii U.

I've recently only just purchased my Wii U, with Mario Kart and Wind Waker, and by far this is the game that's taken up most of my time. Anyone who says that Mario games are too easy clearly hasn't gone much further than the

Anyone who says that Mario games are too easy clearly hasn't gone much further than the first couple of worlds in this game, the bosses have a bit of ease to them, but regardless the fun factor is apparent throughout the whole game. The challenge comes in getting all 3 stars, stamps, and to the top of the flagpole.

This game is far from boring, and is showcasing that although sticking to old formats, Nintendo are not afraid to push in new formulas into their Mario games. With the addition of power-ups like Double Mario, it becomes an inherently more interesting world straight off the bat.

I've high anticipation for Captain Toads own adventures as I found his levels brilliant.
  46. Jun 19, 2014
    It's not groundbreaking, but it didn't have to be. SM3DW is my favorite Mario game so far and is one of the best titles on Wii U. This game is the epitome of Nintendo's innovation and creativity. It's full of fresh ideas and ingenious level design. You won't be disappointed
  47. Jun 13, 2014
    My favorite Mario game since Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo. The gameplay is perfect, and for me that's the most important in a videogame. Any stage is like a Level Designer Class for anyone who wants to make games. And the music is also amazing.
  48. Jun 5, 2014
    One of the most fun games you can play with three other people of any age. It's a great teamwork game, and not everyone has to be at the same level of playing skill to have a great time. There are some really creative worlds, it's a blast.
  49. Jun 1, 2014
    I am in no way a fanboy of Nintendo. I bought both the PS4 and the Wii U on launch day, and there is no hiding that I have been disappointed with the game line up on both consoles for the first 6 months to a year. After having very little to play on the PS4 I gave my dusty Wii U another chance and picked up some games; Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin, Mario Kart 8, Zelda to name a few.

As

As much as I am a sucker for amazing graphics and physics, there is not one single game on the PS4 or Xbox One that packs as much wonder and magic as any of these titles. Super Mario 3D World takes you straight back to when you were a kid in front of the TV playing Super Mario World, A Link to the Past or any other classic gem. These games are filled with charm and creativity and are quite easy to pick up - ask my wife. Still, the game is challenging enough to keep a gamer who have been playing since the mid 80's occupied. There is an immense amount of worlds, all completely different from each other with a beautiful score that I could listen to by itself for hours. I can not express how much I love this game, so grab a Wii U (they go pretty cheap on Craigslist and Nintendo sells even refurbished ones) and for god sake buy this game - you won't regret it.
  50. May 30, 2014
    A beautiful masterpiece with amazing sound and level design, this game is truly perfect and is one of the best 3D Mario games ever made, it improves upon 3D land in pretty much every way.
  51. May 28, 2014
    So much better than 3D Land on the 3DS, I couldn't stop playing it.

The only "problem" with the game is that I finished it too quickly, a few more levels would have been nice.
  52. May 28, 2014
    Graphismes énormes. Très grande jouabilité et durée de vie énorme. En attendant un véritable mario tout en 3D cet épisode permet de patienter. Peut être une révélation à l'E3
  53. May 27, 2014
    This game is perfect to play with friends because is fun and a challenge at the same. I put 9 because I'd like to have an "very hard" mode for single player where there aren't power ups. Most of them make the game easy to hell.
  54. May 25, 2014
    This game is a MASTERPIECE is doesn't step a foot wrong. Where do i start? Gameplay is truly innovative and improves upon 3D Land on the 3DS. Graphics are amazing and the story is actually different! LOL. The cat suit is cool and the is just so much content and new ideas. Each level is unique and sometimes there are minigames in the levels. Super Mario World is just pure FUN!!
  55. May 24, 2014
    Ok I just got this game and trout this would just suck because of the boring e3 trailer but I had a little punch of curiosity so I played it and WOW buy this game it's worth it Nintendo you've done it again. the graphics the music the design I give this a big ten
  56. May 20, 2014
    perfect :) What more can I say about it? It's a Mario Game, of course it's gonna be good. but it's the best Mario game we've had in years. No more 2D, even tough there is some levels that are 2.5d.
  57. May 20, 2014
    Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all,Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all, 3D World is a fantastic addition with enough personality to be its own game.

Bowser is at it once again but this time instead of taking the princess, he has kidnapped several fairies and locked them away inside bottles. The team makes hot pursuit and follows Bowser into the fairy’s kingdom. After years of playing the damsel in distress, Princess Peach finally joins the cast once again for the first time since Super Mario Bros 2.

This time around the player gets to choose from four characters to play as; Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.
    Each character has their own unique abilities and flaws similarly to Super Mario Bros 2. Mario is the most balanced character as he is the most agile, Luigi has the highest jump, Peach is the slowest and can float during a jump, and Toad is the fastest. Players can reselect a new character before any level making quick changes in play styles simple. Most levels don’t call for a specific character so playing the game in its entirety as your favorite character is welcome. This refreshing tweak in the formula is an excellent change as it gives players variety as well as a chance to play as their favorite character.

While 3D World is a blast to play in single-player, the fun multiples in co-op. The unique and colorful 3D worlds with New Super Mario Bros.’ chaotic four player co-op action is an excellent blend. Everyone can work together or create chaos, sabotaging each other’s game. Tossing friends off cliffs, stealing every power-up, and doing whatever it takes to get the highest on the flagpole always keeps every teammate active. Each player has their own score tallied against each other at the end of each level and the player with the highest wins a wearable crown. This subtle system keeps players looking out to being number one and getting the crown when everyone is supposed to be working together.

The classic power-ups including the Fire Flower, Star, and Boomerang Flower make a return as well as joined by a few new power-ups. The main new power-up this time around is the Cat Suit, a power-up that transforms the character into a cat. With the suit, the character struts around on all fours and gains new abilities including a scratch attack as well as a dive bomb move adding new offensive options. The cat suit also allows Mario and the gang to scale walls, helping them escape enemies and find new hidden passages. The new power-up also allows the user to climb to the top of the flagpole from any angle. The cat suit is a useful and fun new addition to the line-up of powers.

The other new power-up is the Double Cherry. With this power-up, a player duplicates their character and adds another duplicate with each new cherry pick-up. While it is a neat mechanic, as you control multiple clones of your character, it isn’t as useful as a full time power-up. If one clone strays too far away or gets hit you lose a clone, so the fun with clones ends quicker than it began.

Green Stars and Stamps replace Star Coins as the collectibles in this game. As the Star Coins before, there are three Green Stars in each level as well as one Stamp. A few levels can only be opened by having a certain number of Green Stars so returning to past levels and clearing them completely is both rewarding and satisfying. Bonus stages also appear after the credits, encouraging many to return and gather up Green Stars. You can even unlock a recognizable bonus character.

My only issue is the game’s camera. Players familiar with Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS will recognize the same camera. There are times where the focused camera can feel a bit annoying even confusing. One accidental leap of faith can lead to uncertain death until the “too bad” chime plays. There were a few insists during my play through where my character would do the cat diving move far off camera and dive off into an unseen death pit. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially during chaotic four-player sessions. Another small issue I had is that the game features no controller options so player can’t remap their buttons. With the multiple controller options, including the Wii U Pro Controller as well as Wiimote and Nunchuk, it’s a surprise this feature wasn’t included.

Super Mario 3D World doesn’t reinvent the Mario formula, but it is a refreshing new addition to the current Mario line-up. The game delivers with both an outstanding cast of characters and both nostalgic and unique level designs. This game has been one of the most fun experiences I had with a Mario game in a while. 3D World truly delivers challenge, fun, and surprise for all to enjoy.
  58. May 15, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World packs the same creative 3D platforming that made the Galaxy games so great along with the charm of the classic Mario games and its own new fresh ideas. Nintendo has proven yet again that they know how to make their series new again.
  59. May 12, 2014
    My opinion in short:
    - great multiplayer fun
    - fun new ideas
    - awesome graphics
    - replayability because of stamps and stars
    - stamps for Miiverse
    - new items are awesome!
    - soundtrack is superb
    - the different characters are not soooo different from each other in my opinion
    - playtime feels a little short though
    - buy it if you like jnr's or mario!
  60. May 8, 2014
    After playing almost every single Mario game out there for years and years, I find it surprising how this game manages to feel so amazing and uniquely different. Nintendo really knows how to keep things fresh and feeling different but similar enough to be memorable.

On to the review. To start, the soundtrack is very good right from the start to the end. You may be coming back to some levels just to hear the magnificently orchestrated tunes. The graphics are great for a game on the Wii U. Some levels look bland unfortunately but with most to all of the other levels, The game looks truly incredible. The gameplay also was amazing. The varied level design which often became challenging later on even for someone as experienced as me and the power-ups including the extraordinary cat suit/transformation were really good. I personally did not like the double cherry power-up too much however but it kept the game fresh like a cherry should be and it was a nice touch every so often. Last for my review are the controls which feel great. Once you get used to the feeling of them, you will be breezing through levels. It feels great and it stays like that for the rest of your life. Also one last thing about the controls is that I love the few advanced moves in the game that help with speed running and doing some crazy stuff. This includes the rolling long jump and the long jump itself.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Wii U and get this game with it. The quality of everything will surely amaze you. 9/10
  61. May 1, 2014
    This was not the game I was hoping for after the masterpieces of Galaxy 1 and 2, but this game is really great. It's best enjoyed alone or with 1 friend imo. But you gotta work togheter, otherwise it's just a mess. This is probably the most creative Mario games that I have ever played. There are so many new and fresh ideas in a lot of levels. The music is also amazing and almost on parThis was not the game I was hoping for after the masterpieces of Galaxy 1 and 2, but this game is really great. It's best enjoyed alone or with 1 friend imo. But you gotta work togheter, otherwise it's just a mess. This is probably the most creative Mario games that I have ever played. There are so many new and fresh ideas in a lot of levels. The music is also amazing and almost on par with Galaxy. It has more of a Jazz feel, meanwhile Galaxy was more orchestrated. This game is a must buy for the Wii U and imo it's the best game on the system along with Rayman Legends. Expand
  62. Apr 28, 2014
    This game was beautiful and so much fun to play with friends and family. I know it's a kids game but it's ridiculously easy. The boss battles were very short and wasn't impressive. I was very satisfied playing it. This game is definitely a must buy. I bought the Wii-U for this! Was worth it.
  63. Apr 26, 2014
    Wow, I had a FUN TIME with this game. Even though i went through world 1 to 8 in 3 days,
    The game feels fresh and Innovative, so it isn't gonna sell. Face it, it's not gonna sell, because we're too scared of wasting money on a new game, like M64, Super mario sunshine, Or Super mario world 2: Yoshi's island. Just try something new, you might just like it!
    Back to the review: I felt
    Back to the review: I felt excited in the duration of the game. I had no idea what COULD happen in this game, all of which we're enjoyable. Just rush out and buy a WII U and this game. Not to mention; Mario Kart 8, SSB4. Oh boy.
  64. Apr 25, 2014
    I recommend this game to EVERYONE (seriously, any age!).It's pure fun. Don't know anyone I played it with that doesn't like it.
    Fitting difficulty level, great level design, beautiful soundtrack, intuitive gameplay, multiplayer mode works perfectly––I wouldn't hesitate; just get it!
  65. Apr 23, 2014
    This is one of the best Mario games to come out in the franchise. The gameplay is solid. I had no problems with the 3d platforming in the levels. This game has over a hundred levels in all, which is a lot of hours of extra gameplay. There is also stamps and green stars to collect. Stamps can be used for the social gaming network Miiverse. The green stars are made for progressing throughThis is one of the best Mario games to come out in the franchise. The gameplay is solid. I had no problems with the 3d platforming in the levels. This game has over a hundred levels in all, which is a lot of hours of extra gameplay. There is also stamps and green stars to collect. Stamps can be used for the social gaming network Miiverse. The green stars are made for progressing through the game. Super Mario also brings back the Super Mario Bros. 2 formula, character wise. There is Mario, who has the normal physics. Luigi, who can jump higher, Peach, who can float for a limited time, and lastly, Toad, who can run faster. You can select any of these four characters in one player mode. Not to mention, there is a secret character you unlock shortly after beating a certain level! Overall, Super Mario 3d World is an amazing, and not to mention beautiful, addition to the Super Mario series and I hope Nintendo can make more Mario games as fun and as addictive as this one. Expand
  66. Apr 22, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is really a good game that appeals to younger kids and hardcore players.
    If you want a challenge: Try the special worlds
    If you want to play just for fun: Just play the "normal" worlds

Also, multiplayer is fun.
  67. Apr 20, 2014
    There literally is nothing wrong with this game. A short adventure shouldn't stop you because there's lots to do after. Not only is replaying the levels a blast, collecting all the green stars, reaching the top of all flagpoles, getting all the stamps, and beating the 3 extra worlds leave loads to do after.
  68. Apr 11, 2014
    Super Mario Bros. 2 + Super Mario 64 = Great game. Congratulations, Nintendo, you've done it again. Keep up. There are some more great Wii U games to come.
  69. Apr 1, 2014
    In my opinion this is a Super Mario Galaxy spiritual successor. Not to be confused with the "New Super Mario Bros" - but not QUITE a full Galaxy game because it doesn't have "planets" and such. It is a near perfect game.
  70. Mar 30, 2014
    I really liked this game its like 2d mario with 3d mario, the graphics look incredible, its so incredibly colorful,its the kind of game that increases its difficulty the more you play it but the 4-player co-op can be very difficult to control i was with my friends and i wanted to do the 1-up trick but my brother messed up the trick the more i told him not to leave the screen besides allI really liked this game its like 2d mario with 3d mario, the graphics look incredible, its so incredibly colorful,its the kind of game that increases its difficulty the more you play it but the 4-player co-op can be very difficult to control i was with my friends and i wanted to do the 1-up trick but my brother messed up the trick the more i told him not to leave the screen besides all that there are a lot of secrets difficult levels and my god the game is incredible Expand
  71. Mar 30, 2014
    A sequel to Super Mario 3D Land, with a mixture of Super Mario Bros. 2, & elements taken from Super Mario Galaxy. Easily one of the best & most fun games I've ever played. I've definitely been proven wrong of how I thought this game could've been, but it's amazing. Wii U owners would be a fool to not buy this game.
  72. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is great! The levels are varied, and the multiplayer is very fun! If you have a Wii U, this is a must have! If you don't, go buy one just for this game!!!
  73. Mar 22, 2014
    I still think that it's not the best Mario game ever... well, in a relative perspective, at least.

When Super Mario Bros 3 was released, the game was simple a new paradigma for the games. Not only for the Mario franchise... for all the game industry! In every aspect, the game innovates and dictates rules from that time on. I can't say the same for Super Mario 3D World...

I can't say the same for Super Mario 3D World... unfortunatly.

Still, from my point of view, the game still deserves a 9.

The game have so many pros, that I'll only list the 3 best that I found.

Pros:

-A big amount of content:

That's the main pro, no doubt. Lot's of players bought the game. But I think that just a few actually finished all the game with all the contents that it offers. I myself didn't finished the entire game yet.

There are so many courses, and with so many different obstacles, themes, etc that you probably will not be bored, even playing for hours! In fact, the only thing that blocked me from playing more this game when it was launched was the lack of Wii U GamePad's battery time.

-Beautiful graphics/animations:

You'll be delighted of the game art. In every aspect, the game simple looks shiny! The animations, courses, characters, foes, etc... all was worked in details.

-Flexible difficult level:

This is one point that I think that many players completely forgot or dont even recognized it inside this game. Nintendo is already using this concept from some time, but I noticed that inside 3d world, the concept reached the climax, the objective itself.

You put your little brother to play with you... checked. Your little brother never played a video game in his life... checked. He plays and after a couple minutes... he's playing alone and even clearing some courses. It's a perfect example of intuitive and flexible gameplay.

If you try it with your grandmother or wife, the results would be probably the same... I tried it with my wife... seriously. It was incredible seeing her clearing a course for herself.

But, as it's a game for begginers and veterans (flexible difficult)... try giving the gamepad for your younger brother again... inside the crown world... (I'm just kidding. Having a small child crying of angry is not good, dudes)

The beginners will probably be satisfied after finishing the game (I mean, by beating the bowser world). From the begin to that point, the gameplay can offer a easy and soft curve of learning. Also, the game allows the use of the "invincible white suit". After all, since the game gives lots of coins to you... earning extra lifes is not that hard.

About the veterans, the real challenge will begin after the "finished game". And that was the ace in the hole.

Cons:

-Lack of online interactions

Like almost all of Nintendo games... Mario platform still dont have a good online interaction feature. Now comes the Miiverse, the stamps, ghost characters.... interesting... yes... But come on. There are lots of other features that we want much more than these.

From the basis, I have a friend that lives in another city. I want to play with him... Ok. I'll make a trip... enter his house, play for a couple hours and go back.

Of course, that it was a joke (for the people that didn't understood). We live today in a interconected world. There's a interesting thing called Internet. I'm using it now... to write a review that you can read from the other side of the world... amazing, isn't it? Please, someone tell to Nintendo that this thing actually exists!
  74. Mar 19, 2014
    I'm going to keep this short as I like to. This game is the only reason you need to know Wii U is the console for you. With stellar graphics, wonderful level design, fun multiplayer, tight controls and unique characters this one is a game should be remembered for years.
  75. Mar 16, 2014
    This game revived my interest in platformers. The graphics are spectacular and the gameplay is phenomenal. This is a such a fun game that kept me entertained for hours upon hours on end. I highly recommend this game to all looking for a relaxing game experience
  76. Mar 16, 2014
    Anyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels areAnyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels are insanely difficult. Don't think that this is going to be a walk in the park. There is real satisfaction to be gained from beating a level after spending days or even weeks on it. There is an incredible amount of replayability in it as well. No real gamer could play this and say it was a poor game. This is THE must buy game for the Wii U, and if you havent played it yet, youre missing out! Expand
  77. Mar 14, 2014
    hd graphics:9/10
    gameplay:10/10
    story:9/10
    music:10/10

well,nintendo done again!
    super mario 3d world is the best game of wii u,i have this game,okay,the mario series is one of the best series for me(crash bandicoot is number 1)
  78. Mar 13, 2014
    Let me first start off by saying that the last 3D Mario Action game I played was Super Mario Sunshine. I have yet to play Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Super Mario 3D Land. I want to say this because there are a lot of people who compare these games, where as I went into it with a completely open mind.

So, where to start? I suppose the first thing I'll talk about is the

So, where to start? I suppose the first thing I'll talk about is the most important part- the gameplay. When it comes to level design, I was blown away. Now, there are a small handful of levels that didn't completely amaze me, but I'd say 9 out of every 10 levels were fantastically designed, and most had the most interesting ideas that you would only see in a Nintendo game like this. Each level has 3 green stars and a stamp (for posting onto Miiverse). This gives the player a reason to explore each and every inch of the level, and there are definitely a few very cleverly placed ones that will no doubt make you smile when you finally find them. You can play all these levels with up to 4 friends, and even having just one there for you when you play enhances the experience immensely. Since I personally enjoy taking my sweet time and looking for all the collectibles in each level, I found myself enjoying single player just as much. Rest assured, you'll enjoy the game no matter what.

Next, how about the graphics and the music? The graphics in this game are top notch, not because they're beyond anything we've ever seen before, but simply because the game creates such a colorful world to look at. Everything looks crisp and clean, and it's one of those games that will look fantastic even decades from now. And then we have the music which is incredible. You're guaranteed to look up some of the incredibly memorable tracks on YouTube as soon as you're finished playing. It's THAT good.

There is one problem that I had with this game though, that being the camera. Now, the camera works fine, and in single player, you can even adjust it, but this game is (at least, from what I've seen) made similarly to how Super Mario 3D Land for the Nintendo 3DS was made, which means some levels have some depth in them, and without the 3DS's 3D capabilities, you may find yourself misjudging a few jumps during your playthrough. This is a fairly minor complaint, however it's what kept it from being a 10/10 game in my mind, so be careful with those jumps.

And that is just about all there is to say about Super Mario 3D World. Personally, I don't really find it to be a must-have title for everyone, however, if you're considering a Wii U, this IS a must-have title.
    The Wii U has a growing library, and it's finally proving to be worth your time. With games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and soon, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and Monolith Soft's big RPG project (currently called "X"), and of course, Super Mario 3D World, there really is something for everyone.
  79. Mar 2, 2014
    This is the best Mario platformer ever! It's gameplay is stellar, it's graphics are beautiful, it's soundtrack is jazzy, and it has loads of content for you!♪So many worlds, all around. So many places, to be found. Exploring a kingdom where Sprixies must be found!♪Many courses are in each world. Some are easy, many are difficult, but all are fun! The multiplayer is awesome, the cutscenesThis is the best Mario platformer ever! It's gameplay is stellar, it's graphics are beautiful, it's soundtrack is jazzy, and it has loads of content for you!♪So many worlds, all around. So many places, to be found. Exploring a kingdom where Sprixies must be found!♪Many courses are in each world. Some are easy, many are difficult, but all are fun! The multiplayer is awesome, the cutscenes are epically jazzy, and the fun-filled surrealism is significant! The new Cat Suit is epic! It's over-powered, but in a fun way! In fact, this game has 17 power-ups, more than Super Mario Bros. 3's 9 power-ups!

Please, get a Wii U, and buy this game!

This isn't a AAA game!

It's an ∞A game!

Everyone loves 3D World, and so will U!
  80. Feb 28, 2014
    When SM3DW was first showed I was very skeptical about it. But in the end, the game didn't disappoint me at all. This game is gorgeous from start to end! Everything in the game is really polished, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything! The level design is pretty good and the challenge keeps growing the more you advance to the insane final level. While It was a letdown that someWhen SM3DW was first showed I was very skeptical about it. But in the end, the game didn't disappoint me at all. This game is gorgeous from start to end! Everything in the game is really polished, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything! The level design is pretty good and the challenge keeps growing the more you advance to the insane final level. While It was a letdown that some bosses were easy and repetitive, there were other awesome and memorable battles (Giant Snake King FTW). This is definitely one game that will be remembered in the years to come.

On a side note, if you has some pals to play this game multiplayer, you will have a BLAST. Playing this game multiplayer is incredibly fun!
  81. Feb 28, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is phenomenal, and worthy to stand amongst some of 2013's best.

First of all, I think we need to all get one thing straight… This IS NOT, the greatest Mario game of all time. It think people are getting a little too ahead of themselves when they put that title on the game. However, is it the greatest Multiplayer Mario experience of all time? Absolutely. If you've

If you've played Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS, you've played this game, and that is in no way a criticism. Both games play wonderfully.
    Aside from a few new abilities, notably the adorable cat suit, the games have a lot of the same features.

Something that struck me right from the get go, was that this game should be an example to why Wii U is great. Why Nintendo don't need the most powerful hardware on the market. They have some of the best designers in the world, and their artistic direction is so phenomenal that it puts so called "triple A" games to shame.

If you want to best couch co-op experience of 2013 and most likely 2014, look no further.

A 9 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  82. Feb 27, 2014
    What many originally considered to be Super Mario 3.D. Land 2.0, Super Mario 3.D. World is an entirely different game, though uses the same formula...essentially mixing the worlds of both 2.D. and 3.D. Super Mario in one. The game is near flawless, with one issue that ends up being big enough for me to deduct an entire point. The camera during multiplayer is rather awful, it will causeWhat many originally considered to be Super Mario 3.D. Land 2.0, Super Mario 3.D. World is an entirely different game, though uses the same formula...essentially mixing the worlds of both 2.D. and 3.D. Super Mario in one. The game is near flawless, with one issue that ends up being big enough for me to deduct an entire point. The camera during multiplayer is rather awful, it will cause many lives lost and will cause much frustration among many. Super Mario 3.D. World has a lot of content and will provide many hours of entertainment. Expand
  83. Feb 27, 2014
    The home console sequel to the best-selling 3DS game proves Nintendo can always make the next SUPER MARIO game more super than the last one. With 6 characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Rosalina & Captain Toad), an amazing multi-player, and about 19 wonderful power-ups, Mario has never looked better than ever. The dev team thought of everything with the level designs right down to theThe home console sequel to the best-selling 3DS game proves Nintendo can always make the next SUPER MARIO game more super than the last one. With 6 characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Rosalina & Captain Toad), an amazing multi-player, and about 19 wonderful power-ups, Mario has never looked better than ever. The dev team thought of everything with the level designs right down to the flowers in the grasslands. The sharp visuals shows that HD graphics has finally been perfected and makes all other consoles' visuals look like there were a lot to be desired. And Kenny James and Charles Martinet have made Bowser Koopa & the Mario Bros. sound so awesome, right down to Bowser's defeat scream. SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD is a must have for both the Wii U and for the eight generation of gaming, and it'll be awhile for another game to replace it as the Wii U and 8th generation's killer game. Expand
  84. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is one of the best Mario games ever. It is worth buying a Wii U alone. Yes, the perspective may be wonky, but you can change it using the right control stick if you don't like it. The graphics are absolutely astonishing. From my first few minutes playing the first level, I knew it was going to be a hell of a ride. This game is extremely fun when played with 3 people! In myThis game is one of the best Mario games ever. It is worth buying a Wii U alone. Yes, the perspective may be wonky, but you can change it using the right control stick if you don't like it. The graphics are absolutely astonishing. From my first few minutes playing the first level, I knew it was going to be a hell of a ride. This game is extremely fun when played with 3 people! In my opinion, 2 people is too small, 4 people is too hecktic. There is also so much to complete!
    [SPOILER ALERT!]
    You have to complete every level with each of the 5 characters, touch the top of every flag pole, get every stamp, every green star, and you have to do all this without getting that white tanooki suit. Smart, they took it out on Champions Road. Well played, Nintendo.
    [CONTINUE READING]
    The level design is one of the best I've seen. Every level is unique, and none feel the same. You'll need some unique new powerups, like the Super Bell and Double Cherry to progress and get stamps and green stars. This should have been the release title of the Wii U when it came out. But then again, it WAS pushed. This title is worth buying the Wii U alone.
  85. PCR
    Feb 26, 2014
    Our favorite Italian plumber is back and better than ever.

When Super Mario 3D World was announced at E3 last year, I was thrilled. After all, my Wii U, which I purchased on launch day, was begging for something new to play. Since I felt that Super Mario Galaxy was the greatest Mario game on the Wii, I had high hopes for 3D World on the Wii U, considering the Galaxy team was behind it.
    Our favorite Italian plumber is back and better than ever.

Super Mario 3D World is a breath of fresh air from the New Super Mario Bros. series that we all know and love (and frankly are getting tired of). I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U (and especially the New Super Luigi U DLC), but I was left wanting something more. I wanted a great 3D platformer. Super Mario 3D World delivered. This is exactly what the Wii U needed right now.

I was never a big fan of Super Mario Bros. 2, but the one thing I did like about it was the ability to choose your character. I don’t like when they force me to be Mario when I’m player 1, Luigi when I’m player 2, etc. I like to be able to choose my character, and Super Mario 3D World lets any player choose to be Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.

The all new cat suit power-up is a lot of fun. Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad can transform into a cute little cat and scratch enemies and climb up walls (and the flagpole at the end of a level). My favorite new power-up, however, is the Boomerang Flower, which was introduced in the 3DS title Super Mario 3D Land. Anyone who has played a Mario game knows just how annoying those Boomerang Bros. are, and we can finally use their awesomely annoying power to destroy enemies.

What I love about this game is that it combines elements from so many different Mario games and blends them seamlessly. Some of the levels are very similar to levels I remember playing in Super Mario Galaxy, and other levels remind me of Super Mario 64. I had a strange moment while playing, déjà vu of sorts, where I felt like I was playing Super Mario 64. Obviously, the character selection mirrors that of Super Mario Bros. 2. The little tune that plays when you die is from Super Mario Bros. 3, as are the toad houses. The music is the same as well, and Toad even says the same thing to you when you walk into his house.

I was relieved when I saw that the game automatically saves after each level is completed. One of the most frustrating things about the NSMB series was that you had to reach- and complete- a castle before you could save. If you lost all your lives before beating the castle, you would have to go all the way back to the last castle and redo all the levels you already completed. It made the games very frustrating and it was just unnecessary.

All in all, SM3DW is a charming, beautiful experience that I’ve been waiting my whole life to play. Like most gamers, I grew up loving Mario. He was the first video game character I ever saw, and I’m delighted that he’s still around and doing better than ever.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Gameplay: I don’t think there was one moment when I wasn’t smiling while platforming about in SM3DW. It’s simple fun for casual and hardcore gamers alike.

Appearance: This game is absolutely gorgeous. It’s so refreshing to see Mario and company is stunning high definition. The environments are beautiful as well; I was very impressed with the quality of the water. It’s the best looking Mario game to date, but it’s not quite up to par with other true next-gen games such as Knack.

Sound: The soundtrack is perfect. I don’t know how else to describe it. The music just puts a big smile on your face and really adds a lot to the feel of the game.

Bottom line: This is a system seller for the Wii U. People who already own the console should not hesitate to pick this up, and those who don’t should really consider it. SM3DW proves that Nintendo still knows how to make games, and great ones at that.
  86. Feb 25, 2014
    Looks fantastic, plays fantastic, levels have plenty of content. I highly recommend this game to anyone with a Wii U and anyone who likes platforming.
  87. Feb 25, 2014
    This game is amazingly fun. From the first level you complete you will want to keep playing to experience new ones. I wish there were more new power ups, but the cat suit and the double mario are pretty interesting. The cannon suit is just ok. The first time I sat down to play this game I didn't stop until I was through three worlds and it was way too late for me to be going to bed beforeThis game is amazingly fun. From the first level you complete you will want to keep playing to experience new ones. I wish there were more new power ups, but the cat suit and the double mario are pretty interesting. The cannon suit is just ok. The first time I sat down to play this game I didn't stop until I was through three worlds and it was way too late for me to be going to bed before work. As far as fun factor I would put this right up there with galaxy 1 and 2. Expand
  88. Feb 24, 2014
    Nintendo have once again outdone themselves with this game. It's honestly unbelievable how many ways there are for a person to have fun just by jumping around in a game. Looking at the franchise's history, this probably is the most varied series ever but that has stayed true to the principles of its conception: Pure fun with family and friends.

In conclusion, one of the best Mario

In conclusion, one of the best Mario titles ever and proof that Nintendo can leave you speechless due to how original they are, even after 30+ years of creating a game with the same formula. Because of all that and the sheer quality of the game (from the colors, the shapes, the lighting, the gameplay etc.), for me, this is one of the greatest achievements in the field of game-designing ever.
  89. Feb 24, 2014
    I was very underwhelmed by 3D Land, and after seeing the first trailer for this game, it looked like a rather dull sequel. Fortunately, this couldn't be less true. This game takes the 3D Land concept and makes enormous improvements in every area. 3D Land's one new power up (the Boomerang Suit) has been replaced by about a dozen new ones here. With the Cat Suit, Double Cherry, Cannon Box,I was very underwhelmed by 3D Land, and after seeing the first trailer for this game, it looked like a rather dull sequel. Fortunately, this couldn't be less true. This game takes the 3D Land concept and makes enormous improvements in every area. 3D Land's one new power up (the Boomerang Suit) has been replaced by about a dozen new ones here. With the Cat Suit, Double Cherry, Cannon Box, Goomba Hat, and more, it feels like there's a new power up almost every level. The amount of variety here is insane - whereas 3D Land got boring and repetitive after awhile, every level in this game is fresh and completely different from the previous levels. This is the culmination of the best elements of New Super Mario Bros, 3D Land, and Mario Galaxy, with some brilliant original ideas and great new power ups as well. On top of all that, there's beautiful HD visuals, an excellent and completely original soundtrack, and the incredibly fun addition of 4-player multiplayer, which surprisingly works better here than in 2D Mario.

While it doesn't quite reach the incredible standard set by Mario Galaxy, this is still one of the most fun 3D platformers I've ever played and easily the best game of 2013.
  90. Feb 24, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World provides a very welcome refreshment to the beloved platforming franchise. Innovative level design and beautiful environments make this latest installment a delight to play, with enough new features to stand strong as a new big dog in Nintendo's already vast library of gaming glory. In short this is the best Mario game since Galaxy and has this title been available atSuper Mario 3D World provides a very welcome refreshment to the beloved platforming franchise. Innovative level design and beautiful environments make this latest installment a delight to play, with enough new features to stand strong as a new big dog in Nintendo's already vast library of gaming glory. In short this is the best Mario game since Galaxy and has this title been available at the systems release in place of the familiar New Super Mario Bros. U the Wii U may very well have had a much better launch period. This game was new, original yet stayed true to the series in style, feel and spirit. A must own for any fan of the series, Nintendo or gamers in general. Expand
  91. Feb 22, 2014
    I wasn't so sure about this game prior to playing. My personal preference is more a classic 2D platformer. However, Nintendo has incorporated a slice of each of the classics and mashed it into an awesome 3D world... and it plays so well! Each level is somewhat unique, not overly challenging but not too easy either. Visuals are amazing. Soundtrack is very catchy, although slightlyI wasn't so sure about this game prior to playing. My personal preference is more a classic 2D platformer. However, Nintendo has incorporated a slice of each of the classics and mashed it into an awesome 3D world... and it plays so well! Each level is somewhat unique, not overly challenging but not too easy either. Visuals are amazing. Soundtrack is very catchy, although slightly repetitive. Overall fantastic game and a must have for Wii U and those who enjoy Mario platformers. Expand
  92. Feb 22, 2014
    The only reason this got a nine instead of a ten is the gold tanooki suit. The suit appears after you fail a level 5 times and gives you invincibility. I do not take it, but i really wish it wasn't there. If you say it is ok for young kids (5 or 6) I still think they should problem solve and beat the level, and it will be more of an accomplishment. But overall a phenomenal game.
  93. Feb 22, 2014
    Buy a Wii U for this game. Seriously. This is a great game that shows off the Wii U's capabilities (like the luscious HD graphics and use of the gamepad in a way that shows it's presence, yet isn't overused and boring like ZombiU where you check the gamepad every two seconds). Anyone who looks past this game due to it being Nintendo is an idiot. Even though this game is child-friendlyBuy a Wii U for this game. Seriously. This is a great game that shows off the Wii U's capabilities (like the luscious HD graphics and use of the gamepad in a way that shows it's presence, yet isn't overused and boring like ZombiU where you check the gamepad every two seconds). Anyone who looks past this game due to it being Nintendo is an idiot. Even though this game is child-friendly overall, the final levels test any gamer's abilities and is one of the most difficult modern games in the final levels. The first levels are ok, and a bit repetitive but every level after that is amazing. The running is good. People complain about it, but there is no problem. It wasn't needed and doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but it doesn't take anything from it either. Sometimes the timer can be annoying, but that is very rarely a problem. The music is great. Super Mario Bros 2 was my favourite Mario game, and this takes concepts from 2 and 3 which is great. Anyone crying that it isn't like Mario Galaxy should shut up. I get that they want Super Mario Galaxy 3, but that doesn't make this game bad. You don't see reviews on Zelda complaining it isn't Mario Galaxy 3. Expand
  94. Feb 21, 2014
    perfection in a 3d mario game. this is a real piece of art, the game stands on its own as one of the very best mario games ever released. an absolutly huge amount of levels and content, collectibles and hidden secrets make this game a real joy to play, and then play through again. if you own a wii-u then you have to have this game.
  95. Feb 20, 2014
    Bow to this game, guys, we got the contemporaneous Super Mario All-Stars.

As many of you, I was firstly disappointed when I first saw the game. I really love the heck out of 3D Land, but hoping the same gameplay style would never happen again, so I actually found a reason to be freaked out at the E3 reveal. However, as time passed, I started to think again about my real opinion. And
    Bow to this game, guys, we got the contemporaneous Super Mario All-Stars.

However, as time passed, I started to think again about my real opinion. And again. I had been a Mario gamer since the original Super Mario World, so pulling back those gems would help me to question myself if my vision was actually correct. As I completed Super Mario AS + SMW, it happened that the famous turnabout trailer from september was finally shown. So yeah, my faith in the game was restored. I couldn't wait anymore to get my hand on the new installment to the series, and if things were not clear enough, those previews and dat october trailer finally set my will to purchase the game.

And so, the 29th of november (I live in Spain) finally happened. My new WiiU console arrived at home bundled with Super Mario 3D World. As i booted up the game, magic was everywhere. The artistic presentation, the colorful levels and a truly kickass soundtrack formed a package of exceptional croft, as Gamespot said.

Of course, there were still minor dips when I was let down with the game in some level details, but the actual fact out of me stayed true to its identity when progressing and proved me wrong once again.

The platforming level was getting better and better within each world, and when I finally got the 5 shiny stars... I was all set, Mario was just as good as always. as we've always seen that magnificent creation of Miyamoto-san.

Nintendo, you did it again.
  96. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is one of my favourite games of 2013. I loved the fact that it had amazing gameplay, mixed with wonderful graphics and loveable, but silent, characters! I've completed the main story in about 13-14 hours and I still haven't finished! There are so many things to do this game is more than 20 hours if you are the person who likes to collect all stars and complete the game 100%.This game is one of my favourite games of 2013. I loved the fact that it had amazing gameplay, mixed with wonderful graphics and loveable, but silent, characters! I've completed the main story in about 13-14 hours and I still haven't finished! There are so many things to do this game is more than 20 hours if you are the person who likes to collect all stars and complete the game 100%.

Thanks for reading.

-Apologeticritic
  97. Feb 16, 2014
    This is one of the best Mario games we've gotten in a long time. Probably the best ever since Galaxy. The game starts like your typical Mario fashion but the difficulty REALLY cranks up towards the end which will keep you playing until you've unlocked all the stars, stamps, and levels. The biggest problem I had with it is that some levels were very predictable and you knew what to expectThis is one of the best Mario games we've gotten in a long time. Probably the best ever since Galaxy. The game starts like your typical Mario fashion but the difficulty REALLY cranks up towards the end which will keep you playing until you've unlocked all the stars, stamps, and levels. The biggest problem I had with it is that some levels were very predictable and you knew what to expect but there are still lots of creativity to the levels. If you have a Wii U, this is a must-own. Expand
  98. Feb 16, 2014
    This game is pure platforming fun.It boasts next gen graphics with game-play so polished you it would not look out of place in a castle made of diamonds. If there is only one game that makes you want to buy a Wii U this should be it. Play alone or with friends and you a guaranteed to have grin on your face as you try and master each beautifully crafted level.
  99. Feb 14, 2014
    Just one thing I can say, no Mario game will be more amazing in terms of level and gameplay than Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, that's a fact. But Super Mario 3D World is the funnest,extremely challenging and most beautiful Mario game to date. When Mario Galaxy 2 came out a lot of people were scared that nintendo wouldn't be able to come up with a Mario game that comes close to Galaxy's level andJust one thing I can say, no Mario game will be more amazing in terms of level and gameplay than Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, that's a fact. But Super Mario 3D World is the funnest,extremely challenging and most beautiful Mario game to date. When Mario Galaxy 2 came out a lot of people were scared that nintendo wouldn't be able to come up with a Mario game that comes close to Galaxy's level and thank god we were all wrong.
    Levels: Just like every Mario game the levels are jaw dropping and intelligently designed. No level is repetitive or dull. Every level has color and a smart design to it, whether you're avoiding spotlights that send Bullet Bills at you, or you have to run away from a horde of Fuzzies, every level will challenger your video game skills and will give you a satisfying feeling when you reach that end flag.
    Multiplayer: Single player is fun by itself, but multiplayer is insane. When 4 people are on the screen it's an absolute blast and hilarious throughout the entire time you play with friends, you will be bouncing off each other's heads or using each other's skills to grab the stars in the level, and compete for that first place crown. The only negative about multiplayer is the camera, when 4 people are too spread out the camera focuses on one character and will normally drag the others behind and cause them to die or bubble to you. This isn't much of a hassle in most level since the platforms are small, but on large open levels it becomes a hassle.
    Graphics: you will stand still and just state at the beauty that Nintendo has created, every object has shine and reflection, the characters and enemies animation are smooth and react naturally. Every step and jump releases a spark or some effect that adds color to the level. Even bouncing on enemies or throwing a fireball is beautiful. The music in this game is amazing as well, giving your ears a sense of euphoria. We just wish every level had a dedicated orchestrated soundtrack to go along with it.
    Verdict: Buy Super Mario 3D World RIGHT NOW, this game proves that nintendo still has what it takes and if you have a wii u and don't get this game then idk what you're doing with your life.
  100. Feb 12, 2014
    Not as epic as say, Super Mario Galaxy, but still just as a charming, beautiful, cleverly crafted game. The stages in this game are short, but all of them have 3 green stars, one stamp, and you have to get to the top of the flag at the end of each level to 100% the game, which almost doubles the length of gameplay, and makes it much harder. And it's a ton of fun to play with friends, orNot as epic as say, Super Mario Galaxy, but still just as a charming, beautiful, cleverly crafted game. The stages in this game are short, but all of them have 3 green stars, one stamp, and you have to get to the top of the flag at the end of each level to 100% the game, which almost doubles the length of gameplay, and makes it much harder. And it's a ton of fun to play with friends, or race against ghosts of other players. Expand

1. Jul 25, 2014
    While not as revolutionary as Mario 64 or Galaxy, 3D World manages to feel simultaneously fresh and nostalgic in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series never quite realized.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]
  3. Feb 19, 2014
    I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series.