9.0

1. May 24, 2015
    This is probably my least favorite console 3D mario game, but I like it better than any 2D mario game. Between the excellently crafted gameplay, amazing music, and impressive visuals, this game takes the vanilla mario experience and makes it what Nintendo dreamed of in 1986.
  2. May 8, 2015
    Perfect 3D Game for the Wii U from its cheery graphics to new items,new bosses and much much more! That's why I give this game single player mode 10/10! Multiplayer 9/10 because of camera angles.
  3. Apr 26, 2015
    At first I was just pissed off that this isn't super mario galaxy 3, but trust me, this game is brilliant. I would give this a 9.5 if metacritic allowed it. Chose to go 9 because 10 sounded too fanboyant. It isn't super mario galaxy 3 which kinda sucks, but well worth it.
  4. Apr 26, 2015
    Not as good as the Galaxy Series and Super Mario 3D Land but still good. If you don't like SM3DW, you are silly as J. Bieber. The graphics are awesome. The controls are good, except why does the gamepad ALWAYS have to be Player 1? The gameplay is good. The characters are so frigging awesome. My bro fufufu plays as Luigi (Weegee) and the only character I play as is Mario. Also, why do myNot as good as the Galaxy Series and Super Mario 3D Land but still good. If you don't like SM3DW, you are silly as J. Bieber. The graphics are awesome. The controls are good, except why does the gamepad ALWAYS have to be Player 1? The gameplay is good. The characters are so frigging awesome. My bro fufufu plays as Luigi (Weegee) and the only character I play as is Mario. Also, why do my bro and I have to share lives? Why can't they make it like NSMB where we have our own? This frigging sucks. The level designs suck, except the Mario Kart looking stage and Super Bell Hill. Tyfoo Flurry used to suck bad as well but now it is one of my favourites. Super Mario 3D World is a good game and I recommend any gamer to buy this if they own a Wii U. Expand
  5. Apr 18, 2015
    Pretty as it is, it's still just a 3D version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Pretty as it is, it's still just a 3D version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Super Mario 3D World is a sort-of successor to Super Mario 3D Land. As you might have guessed, this means the gameplay is almost identical. I wasn't the biggest fan of the new gameplay style at first. I though it took a lot of the creativity and wonder out of the Mario games and made 3D Land far too easy. 3D World still feels formulaic, however it does bring some new ideas to the table. It is also much harder than 3D Land ever was. One major bonus of the new gameplay that is exploited in 3D World is 4-Player Local Multi-Player. This is great fun and I would highly recommend that you play this game with friends and family. I also recommend it because the game is no-where near as fun alone. Just like it's predecessor, it fails to be as fun as Mario's previous 3D solo adventures.

It's a shame because everything else in this game is well done. It looks very pretty, the soundtrack, while generic at times, is pretty decent, the controls are nice and simple and the game has plenty of content and replay value. But the lack of a fun single-player experience stops this game from being another great Mario title.

If you are a die-hard Mario fan, you will probably find enough enjoyment playing single-player. But as for everyone else, this game is best with other people. And if you play it that way you will likely have a great time. But for those who are waiting for the next great 3D Mario adventure, this is not the game for you.
  6. Apr 16, 2015
    This game is real fun. It plays beautifully and is one of the master Wii U titles. It is good in single player and multiplayer with great levels. I have only one complaint for this masterpiece, but even this is tiny. To get to the boss battle in most, or if not, every world, you need to have enough green stars which is a bit annoying, but this can't stop me from giving this a 10/10. If youThis game is real fun. It plays beautifully and is one of the master Wii U titles. It is good in single player and multiplayer with great levels. I have only one complaint for this masterpiece, but even this is tiny. To get to the boss battle in most, or if not, every world, you need to have enough green stars which is a bit annoying, but this can't stop me from giving this a 10/10. If you are considering whether or not the Wii U is worth it, this game pretty much gives you the answer to that question. The Wii U is worth your money. Expand
  7. Apr 6, 2015
    great game. imagine the platforming of mario galaxy but no gravity switches. that's this game. this game is almost perfect. good co-op, easy controls, unlockables, great sense of adventure and platforming and my favorite part is multiple characters that have something special about them. the story is same old but what do you expect from mario.
  8. Mar 30, 2015
    Very nice graphics and funny, creative stages but stop holding the player in the hand all the time. The game is way, way too easy for my taste. The multiplayer is not much of a thing since the camera can't zoom out far enough if players get separated. Same problem as Donkey Kong Country has. It's without a doubt a really good game but an easy one at that.
  9. Mar 23, 2015
    Not a bad game but not a good one either, my biggest complaint is the game is too easy and doesn't offer much of a challenge, I'm convinced Nintendo's target audience was for children age inbetween 5 and 10 for this one. The graphics are nice but simple, I don't understand why WII U owners boast over this having 60 fps, 60 fps isn't too hard to achieve when the graphics look this simple.Not a bad game but not a good one either, my biggest complaint is the game is too easy and doesn't offer much of a challenge, I'm convinced Nintendo's target audience was for children age inbetween 5 and 10 for this one. The graphics are nice but simple, I don't understand why WII U owners boast over this having 60 fps, 60 fps isn't too hard to achieve when the graphics look this simple. Also the game is very short. However saying that the game did have it's fun moments when playing multiplayer. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2015
    One of the best MARIO 3D GAMES! It's absolutely amazing, we can finally play as many characters. There are lot of new FUN and COOL elements- After one year it truly needs a DLC with more characters or worlds!!
  11. Mar 22, 2015
    Sharpen your claws and get ready to pounce because Mario 3D World is here! When it was first revealed, I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical but thankfully, Nintendo has proved me wrong. Nearly every level introduces a great new concept from the cloning Double Cherries to speeding down a Mario Circuit-esque racetrack. The addition of four (and a secret) playable characters makes the game haveSharpen your claws and get ready to pounce because Mario 3D World is here! When it was first revealed, I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical but thankfully, Nintendo has proved me wrong. Nearly every level introduces a great new concept from the cloning Double Cherries to speeding down a Mario Circuit-esque racetrack. The addition of four (and a secret) playable characters makes the game have that much more replay value! I'd still rather have Power Stars but flagpoles and world maps are fine with me. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2015
    Super Mario 3D World does what Nintendo and Mario do best: create a fun journey through vibrant, colorful, and creative worlds.

What 3D World does to go beyond the Mario standard is add the ability to bring your friends along in cooperative 3D-platforming madness. You can work together with friends and family to gather stars and stamps throughout each level, or compete for points accumulated through stomping Goombas and collecting coins. Whoever gets the most points by the end of the level gets a crown, which carries over to the next level. The crown can then be kept or stolen for another reward of points. This simple yet effective system of competition creates for some wacky shenanigans mid-level when Bowser's minions are already giving you a run for your money. Plenty more twists to the traditional Mario formula are found sprinkled throughout the world through the addition of new power-ups that allow you to climb like a cat, a new dinosaur companion, and more!

Nintendo's veteran composers return as the Mario 3D World Big Band to bring classic Mario tunes to this already engaging world. As the name "Mario 3D World Big Band" would imply, many of the nostalgic songs heard throughout the game have a jazz twist to them, creating a fresh take on beautiful and catchy melodies and rhythms from past titles.

While many knock the Wii U as an inferior console to the PS4, Xbox One, and PC, Super Mario 3D World rarely, if ever, seems held back graphically by the console it is on. The color palette is broad, the lighting is stunning, and the animations are fluid (and can be quite cute as well). Even the overworld has a crispness to it as you navigate between each level. Beyond that, the attention to detail and the long-lasting art style prove that the designers of Nintendo have not lost their paintbrush. While I do wonder what Nintendo could do with an even more powerful console, they certainly made use of every byte they could chew.

Super Mario 3D World feeds the ideas established in the 3DS's Super Mario 3D Land a mushroom and watches them expand to epic proportions. With multiplayer gameplay, high definition graphics, and a fresh take on the Mario music we know and love, it is no question that Super Mario 3D World is a masterpiece. It unfortunately does lack a traditional central hub world that we've seen and grown to love from 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1, as well as the mind-bending physics of Galaxy 1 and 2 that propelled the series forward. With just a few shortcomings, this game is not perfect and there is room for Nintendo to learn and grow this franchise. Those few flaws aside, this game deserves a 10/10.
  13. Mar 15, 2015
    The amount of money this game costs is so worth it. Not only does it have the most stunningly beautiful visuals in years, but the gameplay, solo and multiplayer alike, are just wonderful. The level design is stunning, and have a lot of replay value. The game has a lot of fun Easter Eggs for you to find and a lot of collectibles. It'll take you a very fun while to get to the Champion World.The amount of money this game costs is so worth it. Not only does it have the most stunningly beautiful visuals in years, but the gameplay, solo and multiplayer alike, are just wonderful. The level design is stunning, and have a lot of replay value. The game has a lot of fun Easter Eggs for you to find and a lot of collectibles. It'll take you a very fun while to get to the Champion World. The bosses are excellent and are very fun. There is no part of the game that is numbingly monotonous. Especially in multiplayer, it's fun the whole way.

Scores:

Sound: 9/10
    Replay Value: 10/10

Final Score: 9/10
  14. Mar 15, 2015
    A must -have Wii u Game. Maybe the best jumping game of all time. Flawless graphic, gameplay, perfect co-op mode, amazing new ideas, epic boss fights, everything you need to have tons of fun in one little box.
  15. Mar 1, 2015
    Best game EVER!!!! It is so friggin awesome!! The graphics are amazing! The controls are perfect. The power ups are awesome. The levels are great! It even has Captain Toad's own levels. Super Mario 3D World is my favourite game of all time and you must get this game if you own a Wii U! It is completely flawless.
  16. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is just another complete rip-off of angry birds. The game itself is exactly the same except the graphics quality is much lower and the gameplay is significantly less user friendly.
  17. Feb 20, 2015
    To be honest, I didn't find this game to be that fun, but thats just me. It's an awesome game! The level design is top notch, the visuals are great, the controls are tight, it just feels good. I prefer 2d platformers, but if you love 3d platforms you need to add this game to your collection. If that means buying a wii u, then so be it.
  18. Feb 20, 2015
    Worst game. I lost 30 € to this. I will sell my wii u. I have lost hope in humanity. So this was my first mario (and nintendo game) , this is so stupid game. It is so hard so i dont even played special (bonus) levels. Every game in the universe is better. Even half-life 2. Not kidding. Nintendo you dumb stupid creator. Why mario dont have guns, bombs, like call of duty or other shooter???Worst game. I lost 30 € to this. I will sell my wii u. I have lost hope in humanity. So this was my first mario (and nintendo game) , this is so stupid game. It is so hard so i dont even played special (bonus) levels. Every game in the universe is better. Even half-life 2. Not kidding. Nintendo you dumb stupid creator. Why mario dont have guns, bombs, like call of duty or other shooter??? Oh so you say it is a platformer? Well then it is a worstplatformer ever. I feel so stupid because i played this game. The only thing that kept my playing was graphics. But music was awful. Nothing near battleblock theater. That was a real platformer. Not this cat-simulator. Im done with you nintendo. Going to pc. Bye Expand
  19. Feb 17, 2015
    This game is one of the best platforming/adventure games I've played in a long time and the most shocking thing of all is it's 3D!

I will keep try to this review short and just say that it's great. For the first time since SMB2 you can play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad. There are gameplay elements from, and references to, just about every classic Super Mario game and even some of the modern ones. Many of the levels won't be very challenging to longtime Mario fans, that is until the last third of the game.

The controls are spot-on and the twitchy camera from Super Mario 64 is nowhere to be seen here. The game's music features renditions of classic SMB tunes and has a lively, instrumental feel. The graphics are polished and everything just looks.....great.

There are only two little flaws that keep this game from being a 10/10. Firstly, in multiplayer co-op mode it is a bit too easy to accidentally pick up another player if the other player is standing directly in front of you.....or bumps into you the wrong way. It's not a huge problem, but it's noticeable. Secondly, the boss battles that don't involve Bowser tend to be a bit on the easy/uninspired side.

Other than that..........s'great.

9.2/10
  20. Feb 8, 2015
    I wrote this game off as "another Mario game". An HD version of 3D land. A cat-themed gimmick.

I was dead wrong. I got it bundled with my wii U, and what I got was magical. This game is something special, it really is. Never before has Mario felt so fresh, so new, so challenging, so beautiful (maybe in galaxy), so... Jazzy. It's snappy, it's clear, it's a blast with friends or by yourself. It's hard, really hard sometimes but never unfair. You'll learn to love the later challenges, and it starts so easy you won't ever be mad.

It's gorgeous, it makes you ooh and ah more than anything on your PS3 or even PS4. Don't write off the Wii U as a console, this machine as I discovered is a real powerhouse when it wants to be. Plus the memory is expandable with whatever you like instead of having to buy right from sony or anything, so you can just plug it into your PC hard drive or anything and be set to go.

This game will make you fall in love with Mario. It'll make you hum its tune at the bus stop, bring you and your friends together. It's a downright magical experience that reminds us all exactly why Mario is so very important to us all.
  21. Feb 8, 2015
    I have read reviews on metacritic for easily over 10 years and I just joined today in order to add a review of this game. This is the best Mario game I have ever played. The levels are beautiful and evocative and I've caught myself smiling at the screen just while walking around a world, something that has never happened to me in over 30 years of gaming. Only a few games have drawn me inI have read reviews on metacritic for easily over 10 years and I just joined today in order to add a review of this game. This is the best Mario game I have ever played. The levels are beautiful and evocative and I've caught myself smiling at the screen just while walking around a world, something that has never happened to me in over 30 years of gaming. Only a few games have drawn me in like this (Uncharted 2 being the most recent) and there is no doubt that this is on my top ten games list of all time. Play this game! Try it for the cherries alone - they're just awesome! Expand
  22. Feb 7, 2015
    My daughter and I played every level together and LOVED IT. This has some of the best designed 3D stages ever made for a platformer. It is just so much fun to play, which is the whole point of video games.
  23. AGN
    Feb 7, 2015
    Basically, this is probably the most unique out of every Mario Game. It has improved co-op, graphics that felt like the most polished Nintendo game ever made, the interesting level design, and the way the characters have different abilities made this probably the best of the gen. Sure the camera can feel stretched out in multiplayer and not really an epic presentation, but at least it'sBasically, this is probably the most unique out of every Mario Game. It has improved co-op, graphics that felt like the most polished Nintendo game ever made, the interesting level design, and the way the characters have different abilities made this probably the best of the gen. Sure the camera can feel stretched out in multiplayer and not really an epic presentation, but at least it's another home run from Nintendo.

Rating: 9.7/10
    Grade: A
  24. Feb 2, 2015
    One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Every detail of each stage looks like it was thought at the time of development. It is a very fun game. Well challenging and irritates from time to time this difficulty, but it is not something that frustrates you as happens in other games. The game size is very good. Not absurdly large and not absurdly small. The most amazing in this game,One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Every detail of each stage looks like it was thought at the time of development. It is a very fun game. Well challenging and irritates from time to time this difficulty, but it is not something that frustrates you as happens in other games. The game size is very good. Not absurdly large and not absurdly small. The most amazing in this game, in addition to mechanics, is the design of each phase. The colors are well used. Anyway, it's one of the best games of the Wii U, deserves note 10 Expand
  25. Jan 31, 2015
    Super Mario 3D World for the Mario Fans is the perfect Mix from the two styles for the Mario Games, The Side Scroller-Time Limited original Style, and the 3D World-Time Free from Super Mario 64. Definitely not for Play alone, the game will feel easy and slow that way, but in Multiplayer Super Mario 3D World Works Just Perfect, My recommendation is to play it with only one partner if youSuper Mario 3D World for the Mario Fans is the perfect Mix from the two styles for the Mario Games, The Side Scroller-Time Limited original Style, and the 3D World-Time Free from Super Mario 64. Definitely not for Play alone, the game will feel easy and slow that way, but in Multiplayer Super Mario 3D World Works Just Perfect, My recommendation is to play it with only one partner if you want to advance in the game but keeping the Fun, because if there's the 4 Players in the screen the game get hindered and you will loose many lifes.

How I describe before, the Gameplay works perfect, easy and deeper like in all the Mario Games, where you can be a Master in the control and get the game into a more deep level not for casuals.The Music is one of a Kind and will love the jazzy style of the Soundtrack, since the first level when you heard that first song on the Super Bell Hill you just go to simile and feel welcome to the Mario World like never before.
  26. Jan 28, 2015
    Very entertaining game, wish it had online multiplayer but other than that its a flawless game. Has a bunch of levels and lots of little secrets hidden along the way. I thought the hole cat powerup was a gimmick but once I started playing I realized how wrong I was. Always trust Nintendo to make great Mario games. This game is a must, if you enjoy Mario games like Mario Galaxy and NewVery entertaining game, wish it had online multiplayer but other than that its a flawless game. Has a bunch of levels and lots of little secrets hidden along the way. I thought the hole cat powerup was a gimmick but once I started playing I realized how wrong I was. Always trust Nintendo to make great Mario games. This game is a must, if you enjoy Mario games like Mario Galaxy and New super mario bros. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2015
    Well first off I want to say I really do like this game, there are a lot of things I love but too many odd things to keep it from being a game I would recommend spending 50$ on. I'd say If you can get this title for 20 - 30$ that would be just perfect.
    The biggest disappointment coming from a game called "3D world" was that it isnt really in fact 3D. When you first get into the game you kind of look past the camera angle being stuck in two spots and the fact that its almost impossible to jump or ground pound on anything the first time because of the "new car affect". Meaning holy cow this new game is so awesome.....everything is aweeesomeeee...I'm a cat!!! When the polish wears off youre stuck with a frustrating controls and a "3D" platformer that just doesnt really do anything special. Another thing that revealed itself pretty quickly is how easy 3D world is. There is literally 0 challenge. To be honest with you I'm not sure why they even have 1ups and lives in as you are always hovering around 50-70 once you get going. Another thing that bugged me is how pathetic and uncreative the boss fights are, I swear I fought each boss 2 times with each one being barely more difficult than the first time...as in like, add one extra fire ball. Heck I even fought bowser 2 or 3 times in an identical fight!!!

On the bright side if youre looking for a super casual mario game with great graphics and lots of fun power-ups this game is just for you. You even get a taste of one of the new games just released toads treasure hunt in a few levels.
  28. Jan 20, 2015
    What a fantastic game! Easily one of the better Mario games of the history! Highly recommended.
    Pros: The graphics are pretty good, on the 8th generation level, although I can't enjoy them completely because my TV isn't HD. The level design is incredibly beautiful and makes the levels become unique. The soundtrack is gorgeous and the gameplay is cool, with high quality control response. This game is also very fun, even in single player. The new features are also very interesting and add a ton of quality to the game.
    Cons: The game is too easy; in one week I was already on world 8. Worse: I found several times when there is a huge series of easy levels and suddenly I found a super-hard level that took me like 20 lives. Also, the collectibles are cool, but strange: some are ridiculously easy to find, while others are very hidden and are insanely hard to find without YouTube help.
    Overall: that's a wonderful game that worth the $60. Buy it and have fun!
  29. Jan 19, 2015
    This is a fun game that is worth checking out, but other mario games were much better

-PROS
    -good story
    -Outstanding graphics
    -fun abilities
    -Awesome bosses

CONS
    -boring at times
  30. Jan 19, 2015
    One of the best Mario games of all time. The gameplay is incredible and the graphics are one of the best in the console. The multiplayer is really fun and the last battle with Bowser is just amazing!
  31. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel likeThis game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel like grade A nintendo entertainment. Worth a pick up for anybody with a Wii U. Expand
  32. Jan 11, 2015
    I really liked this game, even though it wasn't that challenging. It felt like i was playing a party game, like it was designed for children. I don't think that's a bad thing, it brings back the classic mario feeling, it reminded me of the games i played when i was about 10 years old. The only really hard level was the last one, witch has got me very frustrated.
  33. Jan 11, 2015
    Apparently, Mario games with a 10 out of 10 rating are not hard to come by anymore. I would never have thought I would have to decide if a game is better than Galaxy 2 or not!

Super Mario 3D World is simply fantastic. There's literally no other way to say it. It has fantastic level design, amazing new power-ups, simple controls, and spectacular music! Every level is different from the one before it and the next! (excluding some of the...other worlds) You can tell how much effort when into making each level unique and stand out. You might be riding on Plessie in the water on one level, catching bunnies in a savanna in the next, and then avoiding Piranha Plants in a dangerous swamp later!

The bosses are another high point in the series. Let's be honest here, 3D Land's bosses were incredibly repetitive and could become boring after a while. That all changes here! Bosses like Hisstocrat and Motley Bossblob in particular are very memorable and unique! It's true that all the bosses seem to take place in the middle of nowhere...but honestly who cares? All the bosses seem like they belong in the Galaxy games: that's a good thing! The Bowser fights are also memorable with the final one in particular being amazing!

The new Cat Bell and Double Cherry power-ups are perhaps some of the most unique power-ups in the Mario series! The Cat Bell turns you into a cat (of course). You can climb up walls, scratch enemies, and even get to the top of the flagpole much easier than you can normally. The Double Cherry power-up can be a bit irritating at times as it can make many clones of your character. It begs the question: if you lose one of the characters the Double Cherry made, could that be the real one?

The Super Mario Bros. 2 character cast is a much needed breath of fresh air in the series. It can get pretty boring to be Mario and Luigi only after a while but with the addition of new characters like Peach and Toad, it never gets repetitive! Peach can hover just like in SMB2 and Toad's super fast. Toad's my personal favorite of the bunch but that's probably just because he's one of my favorite Mario characters overall.

The soundtrack is just as great as the Galaxy games! That is something I honestly never thought I'd say. The Double Cherry Pass theme and Hisstocrat theme in particular are easily some of the best Mario soundtracks ever! The return of live orchestrated music is a great addition and I sincerely hopes it returns in many more Mario games!

Overall, Super Mario 3D World is another game that justifies a Wii U purchase and it is another fantastic entry in the Mario franchise! There's not a single bad thing in the game, just like Galaxy 2!
  34. Jan 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was a letdown for me. Just felt like another rehash of the 2d Mario games they have been putting out since the original Wii.

I guess my main criticism of this game is that it seems like they just came up with a bunch of ideas, but then never actually decided on an actual plan to implement them, so they just got sprinkled throughout the game without any rhyme or reason.

Some examples:

*Using green stars to unlock levels - It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted to make it like Galaxy where you had to unlock just about every level, or if they wanted to make it like a "normal" game where you don't have to unlock anything, so rather than making a decision and doing one or the other, they tried to do both. There is one level, very early on, where you need 10 stars to unlock (at a point when some players may not have 10 stars), which would force you to go back and re-play some levels to get enough stars. But after that, you don't see another unlockable level for a long time, and by then you have plenty of green stars, but it only requires like 15 or something, which is no problem. It's like this for the rest of the game, the unlockables are spaced out so far that it's not a challenge at all to unlock them, you will certainly have enough stars by the time you get to them, even if you aren't trying to collect any. So that begs the question - what is the point of having to unlock levels at all?

*Cherries - another idea that seems to have no purpose, so they just threw it into a few levels. The levels that actually have them are few and far between, so you've about forgotten about them by the time you get to the next one. I think it would have been better to just make an entire world dedicated to "cherry levels" so that you use them in several levels and can develop some kind of strategy as to how to use them/control the characters.

*Touching stuff on gamepad to interact with the world - again, this is just randomly spread out throughout the game for no reason. There will be one level where you have to use the gamepad to get through and then you won't see another for a long time. Why not just make a specific world where this is the main feature so that the users learn what to do and then actually apply that knowledge to beat even trickier levels. Instead, they waste time teaching the player something new, and then they go right back to the "original" game again. What's the point? Why are you wasting our time making us figure out how to use a new feature if you aren't going to have us actually use that feature for a long time?

There are plenty of other "one off" features that only appear in a single level and then you don't see it again for ages. The flow of this game is just so bad. It's like there was no team effort at all in developing this; it's like they just had individual people make levels on their own and then at the end of development, they just drew numbers out of a hat to decide where to put them.

It's also annoying that you still can't play as a Mii character. Why not? How much effort would it be to set that up? Probably minimal, and it would be way better than having to play as Toad.

However, if you ignore all of this, it's still decently fun - especially in multiplayer. I do like that they tried to make the boss battles different, so that it's more than simply jumping on a koopa three times. So I'll give it a 5 overall. Could be a 9 or 10 if the game was designed properly and the new features actually made sense, instead of feeling forced in.
  35. Jan 9, 2015
    This game is amazing. it is a mix of the Mario galaxy type platforming with a little bit of new super Mario bros their. The level design... Don't get me started on how great they are i would say that they are nearly as good as galaxy's (thats a compliment)
  36. Jan 7, 2015
    So much content in this game, that and it's stunning graphics are where it really excels. Even the bonus levels have bonus levels. True to form in difficulty, simple at the beginning and more challenging as it progresses. Music in the game is charming and perfectly suited to level themes and characterisation is cute and better than ever on HD. Agree with Super Mario Galaxy comparisons,So much content in this game, that and it's stunning graphics are where it really excels. Even the bonus levels have bonus levels. True to form in difficulty, simple at the beginning and more challenging as it progresses. Music in the game is charming and perfectly suited to level themes and characterisation is cute and better than ever on HD. Agree with Super Mario Galaxy comparisons, definitely fills that gap until the third game is announced. Would have gladly gave a score of 10 but felt the game lacked imagination on the bonus levels on the world map, highly simple fruit machine concept and power-up box chooser games. Look back at Super Mario Bros. 3 with the card pairing or the shuffle match-up games, even a game from 25 years prior had a touch more magic in that area. Expand
  37. Jan 7, 2015
    I will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. ItI will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. It hooked me from start to excruciating, five-and-a-half hours' worth of solid attempts final-level finish.

Let me take you back in time, to 1997. The move from the 16-bit era to the 32/64-bit one was the biggest shift gaming has known. It was the dawn of 3D games. At that time, the new kid on the block, the Sony PlayStation, was surprisingly trouncing SEGA's Saturn sales-wise, but the one we'd all been waiting for, Nintendo's new N64, was on the horizon. And, more excitingly than the console itself, its flagship title, Super Mario 64. I personally don't recall anticipating any one individual game more. The screenshots I pored over, the magazines I bought just to get a little bit more information on this brave new world, just envisaging how it would feel to play it. It was a combination of being at the perfect age and the mindblowing prospect of what was to come - a Mario game in 3D. I could scarcely imagine what wonders it could bring.

After what seemed like forever, the day arrived and I finally got to play it. And at first, I was somehow disappointed. This wasn't Mario as I knew him. This wasn't really a platformer. For all the awe of being able to command Mario's myriad of new techniques and explore Peach's castle in three dimensions, something had been lost. It was that tightness of control that only games played in a 2D plane can bring. In time I grew to love Mario 64 for what it is, this subtly different new genre of "3D platformer", a little less reflexes-based, a little more cerebral. It's still the finest example of that type of game even now, approaching 20 years later, and without question the most influential game of all time.

Super Mario 3D World is what my naive 14-year-old self from 1997 was expecting Super Mario 64 to be. This is a real platformer. The thrill of precision control, the focus of linear progression, the simple goal of discovery and collection, it's all here. The game features 8-way as opposed to true 360 degree control, which cuts down on the forced uncertainty of playing a game in a 3D world on a 2D TV screen. The title is so incredibly apt, at heart it really is Super Mario World in 3D, but in practice it's so much more. Some small part of me that's always remained troubled by what path the history of gaming took can now eventually be laid to rest.

The game contains a plethora of new ideas. The cat suit, the double cherry, the cannon block, the skating shoe, giant Mario, the pet piranha plant for gobbling baddies, the Boo-disintegrating torches, the multiplayer, the mystery houses, the Captain Toad levels, the 2D shadow sections, the stamps, the Miiverse integration, the Mario Kart level, the inventive bosses, controlling platforms by blowing into the gamepad's microphone, and Plessie the aquatic dinosaur, to name but a few. All of these have meaning, and are not just there for show. For example, with the double cherry (which creates duplicate Marios), Nintendo didn't feel that the enjoyment gleaned from controlling four or five Marios at the same time was enough, they actively work it into the level design - usually if you can survive a good distance with enough of the clones still intact you will be able to open up sections of the course unavailable to a lonely Mario. It's this marriage of invention and design which makes 3D World a cut above.

In the recent past, certain Mario titles have been guilty of trying to recreate the early games in a modern setup, but that was missing the spirit of Mario. The original NES and SNES games were so good because they brought something new to the table each time. They had to - they had very little to fall back on. This is Mario in 2013, and he's never felt more fresh. Where most games of this kind would be content to milk a new gameplay gimmick to death and base a whole game around it, 3D World bases a level or two around each one and then, when its purpose has been served, it discards it, ready to move onto the next new and exciting thing. Creative, compact, concentrated, and the most confident game I've ever played.

Super Mario 3D World is a real statement by Nintendo about the strength of their software teams. When they're at the height of their powers, nobody else comes close. Of all the landmark titles Mario has delivered throughout his history, this stands tall right up there near the peak. It compares more favourably with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World than any game I ever imagined would get close to doing. It captured my heart in a way the Galaxy twins never managed. Make no mistake, this is one of the very best there has ever been.
  38. Jan 5, 2015
    This Mario game is a perfect blend of Galaxy-esque 3D elements and Mario 3 side scrolling segments. So many levels are wonderfully unique and so memorable. Even though I've only owned it for 2 weeks I can already tell that I will be playing it for years and will look back on it with great fondness and nostalgia. Another masterpiece from the Big N.
  39. Jan 4, 2015
    This has quickly become my most favorite Mario game to date. The characters, the worlds, the challenges- it's all tied together in a moustached bow.

Normally I buy a Nintendo system for Smash Bros., but this was the first time since the Nintendo 64 I picked up a console because of a Mario game. I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a

I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a superpower, it was "meh". But that still doesn't stop this game from kicking some serious platform azz!
  40. Jan 4, 2015
    I like very much this game. There are a lot of transformations for example mario cat and more. The best thing of this game is there are four characters mario, luigi, toad and peach
  41. Jan 2, 2015
    I would love to score it higher but I just didn't get the same enjoyment as others from this game as time went on I felt less and less challenged and more and more bored, it looks fantastic and I find the audio side of things very amusing a solid 8/10 though
  42. Dec 29, 2014
    The best Mario game since Super Mario Brother 3 on the NES. In the last few years I've struggled to enjoy Nintendo games as I found they had lost that Nintendo charm and quality. Well all I can say is Nintendo are back with Super Mario 3D World. It has character, challenge,fun and that old Nintendo quality that you once expected. I can't fault the game one bit. Go buy it.
  43. Dec 25, 2014
    This isn't actually a bad game. I'm finding it quite fun although frustrating in parts. But it's engaging, the graphics are colourful as usual. I think there might be a few bugs though, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I'd recommend this to anyone who loves Mario.
  44. Dec 25, 2014
    A very underated game. It has a great art style and theme to it. Levels are quick, but offers an enormous replayability to them. The content offered in the game is so diverse and amazing. Best mario game flr the wii u so far!
  45. Dec 14, 2014
    i'ts ok dejljcecnelkcmejrncjklerjkchnerkljcnmrejincjkre cejniunemcomednci ej ne9ncujen ceouc9ue cuer cejn0r enerdcjneocjn dj neojc jekdc nhjedncdecker0kdmvre nme
  46. Nov 22, 2014
    Better than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you canBetter than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you can see Boom Boom though before he gets old. Expand
  47. Nov 21, 2014
    This one is a winner! Super Mario 3D World combines 2D and 3D gameplay to bring us one of the finest and most enjoyable experiences on Wii U. Its impressive level design is continuously reinventing itself to deliver fun to the players. Another must have for every Wii U owner.
  48. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is great.The controls feel nice,the game does not lag when i play.The bosses has interesting ideas.The new and old power ups made us look at the in different ways.Definilty a recommended if you have a Wii U. Expand
  49. Nov 18, 2014
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Each level is like a little piece of magic. It lacks the grandness of galaxy but expands hugely on 3D Land. A great addictive platformer. Mario does it again.
  50. Nov 17, 2014
    One of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2dOne of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2d camera, imagine super mario galaxy only on a fixed camera point that scrolls. on easier levels it isn't an issue and if it is you can subtly tilt the camera in any direction you want. But on the harder stages you'll constantly be dying due to depth perception issues because of the camera and in multiplayer the damn thing can stay still and will constantly skew and hover over a specific player causing unwanted deaths or abrupt idle bubble time. Still this is very fun and even if you aren't interested in the frustration that is champion's road then the base game offer atleast 8 hours of fun with gorgeous graphics, a consistent framerate and great controls. Expand
  51. Nov 14, 2014
    This is the Best 3D Mario platforming game since Super Mario 64. The controls are tight, the levels are creative and colorful, and it is challenging enough to make you feel accomplished every time you finish a level, but not so challenging that the game gets discouraging or frustrating. It is everything you expect from a Nintendo game. I would like to see some DLC for this game in the future.
  52. Nov 11, 2014
    Fantastic game. One of the best Wii U Games around.
    The Gameplay is amazing
    The Music is some of the best i ever heard
    and The multiplayer is too cool!

BUY THE GAME, NOW!!!!
  53. Nov 11, 2014
    This is my favourite Mario game ever. The visuals are stunning, the multiplayer works incredibly well and good times are sure to be had. If you own a wii u, you have to own this game.
  54. Nov 11, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is a must-buy for the system. Working very well on a plethora of very fun, even somewhat challenging levels, the game holds a good standards for the series.

You have your usual count of 7 worlds to play in, plus some to unlock, each world having their own theme, which is more or less respected in each stage. The environments are charming, cute, well-rendered and gives a good "Mario vibe" without feeling too copied. The musics fit very well and is pleasant to listen, which is always a plus.

The difficulty has been balanced, so running through the game is at least a bit more difficult, which is good considering previous installments being overly easy.
    One of my favorite feature is the multiplayer system : at absolutely any time, any moment, it just needs two pressings of a button to add a new player, without even stopping or pausing the game!

The game reeks originality, from the bosses to the level designs and platforming sequences. The new power-up, although a bit silly, is very fun to use and actually enhances the platforming aspect of the game by allowing to climb on the walls and dive-jump, allowing you to take your own path through the levels (and seek the numerous secrets hidden everywhere).

Now of course, the game isn't perfect : it feels a little short if you get into it and tend to end up going through it in a day (like I did at least), and the multiplayer experience does get a little confusing and messy, especially if you're playing with an inexperienced player.

It remains, however, an enjoyable game to play alone or with friends and family.
  55. Nov 8, 2014
    Not so good as Galaxys, but still a very high quality tittle that will make you enjoy every second you play it. At the beginning could same easy but it gets more difficult in last worlds. And it's even funnier when you play with some friends. If you have a Wii U you should have this game.
  56. Nov 7, 2014
    I'll go ahead and admit I've only played about half of this. Compared to Galaxy this game is uninspiring and boring. It is also too easy. I suppose this would be a good thing for younger players but for me a disappointment. I really enjoy challenging Mario games but this was a walk through (so far as I played). I also miss the two handed controller that works so well with Galaxy. This wasI'll go ahead and admit I've only played about half of this. Compared to Galaxy this game is uninspiring and boring. It is also too easy. I suppose this would be a good thing for younger players but for me a disappointment. I really enjoy challenging Mario games but this was a walk through (so far as I played). I also miss the two handed controller that works so well with Galaxy. This was tough on my thumbs and difficult to manage depth for me at times. I thought the world was just pieced together with no grand theme or idea to immerse myself in. All in all a boring game for me. Even two and three player games didn't increase the excitement. In comparison I think multiplayer Mario & Luigi is a blast. Expand
  57. Nov 5, 2014
    Easily one of the best games on the Wii U. Mario and friends have never looked better. The levels are beautiful and colorful. Nintendo finally figured how to add multiplayer game play into a 3D Mario game and make it fun. Playing with 3 other players is lot of fun and brings back fond memories of playing 4 player games on the N64. Nintendo also figured out how to make the 3D MarioEasily one of the best games on the Wii U. Mario and friends have never looked better. The levels are beautiful and colorful. Nintendo finally figured how to add multiplayer game play into a 3D Mario game and make it fun. Playing with 3 other players is lot of fun and brings back fond memories of playing 4 player games on the N64. Nintendo also figured out how to make the 3D Mario games feel like the 2D Mario games. The exploration is not prevalent like it is in the past 3D Mario games but the frantic style of the 2D game is everywhere. While I like the exploration of past games, the style in this game is a very fresh take on the series. The powerups are very fun and you can't get enough of cat Mario. Like other Mario games, there are a ton of levels. This plus the multiplayer gives this game a lot of replay value. Expand
  58. Oct 27, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World offers a very good experience for those fans who prefer the 2D Mario series and those ones who prefer the 3D. Charming look, flawless controls, nice challenge and a nostalgic adventure is the stuff that awaits you in this game,
  59. Oct 26, 2014
    Summary: Excellent in almost every way... characters have different attributes just like Super Mario Brothers 2. Most fun with Mario I have had since the Super Mario Galaxy games. A Must Buy.

Presentation Excellent presentation, menus and absolutely wonderful to look at. Nintendo continues its tradition of excellent Production Value... Gameplay At first play I was baffled at

Presentation

Gameplay

At first play I was baffled at the apparent slow down in movement when compared to previous games such as Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. As I played I realized this is not a game is the same vein as the preceding titles. It is almost a merging of traditional 2D super Mario games with Mario 64. Thus the name 3D world. Its level design is much different as well. They are much more linear than the previous games. I would consider the Mario "3D" franchise to be new, different and fresh. And boy is it fun. The addition of the run button makes it much easier for younger / inexperienced players to pickup and play.

There are in excess of 100 levels including the new Caption toad puzzle levels.

There are TONS of secrets and just as soon as you think you have the game beat, more worlds appear! I feel like Nintendo really likes to give Value with its games. I have played through and almost got every available star and have nto been able to put it down.

Graphics

Very good indeed... Mario has never looked this good. Presented in 720p 60FPS. As digital foundry found: there are NO dropped frames what so ever... none. Depth of field, shadows, and all kinds of lighting effects make an absolutely breathtaking view from the couch...

Sound

Great sound with Excellent Music. i think there are over 70 compositions in the game! Sound effects are perfect and clear. My Only beef with the sound is lack of better atmospheric use of the surround sound... Nintendo needs to do its 6.1 mixes with more of a movie feel.

Personal Comments

Great game. A must have for any gamer. And I love the Cat Suit!!!
  60. Oct 24, 2014
    Seriously, if there's an idiot saying that this is an average Mario title, he/she is so wrong. Awesome gameplay and gorgeous design makes this game very enjoyable, specially with my friends and cousins.
  61. Oct 19, 2014
    Wow, words cannot describe how amazing this game turned out! I have played many Mario games, from the original game from the 70s to this. This one has to be the 2nd best (1st is the original).
  62. Oct 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Tons of levels and collectibles, amazing graphics, great controls, good soundtrack and cute voice acting. The game looks easy at first, but it becomes more challenging later on.
  63. Oct 13, 2014
    Oh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, theOh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, the music is a thing of sheer wpicness all by itself, but then being pushed further by the best graphics on Wii U yet, I can go on and on, but the message would always be the same, the game RULES! Expand
  64. Oct 3, 2014
    Best mario game i have played in years! Love it to bits. Playing multiplayer in this game is great and who would of thought beening a cat would bring so much fun. Seing Bowser as cat in the boss level of world Bowser is Cute. Deffientely recommened
  65. Sep 18, 2014
    I will begin by explaining that I have been playing Mario games for the past 25 years. I have played every title in the main series, so I am reviewing this game from the perspective of a Mario 'expert' if you like.

My relationship with Super Mario 3D World is a little odd. I will admit that on first seeing the game I wasn't really that excited. It looked very pretty in HD and everything, but everything looked a little sterile (especially when compared to the 2 Super Mario Galaxy games. Of course graphics do not make a game, so I thought I would reserve judgement until I finally got my hands on it.

My first few hours with it I kept thinking to myself that something just felt a bit off about it. It controlled perfectly, the enemy designs and animation were flawless, but it still felt strangely flat. I decided to replay some Super Mario Galaxy to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I instantly realized that in comparison Super Mario Galaxy just 'felt' more like a 3d Mario game...Mario 3d World didn't. Super Mario 3d World is like a classic 2d Mario game, but in the 3rd dimension. I think it is largely down to the level design. Most of the levels here do not really utilise the 3rd dimension to any great effect in their gameplay. They could just as easily be played with the camera locked horizontally with you moving from left to right, but also allowing your to move in and out of the screen. In fact there is a level set on a beach in this game that does just that.

It seems to me that this has been a design choice that Nintendo have been moving towards with their 3d Mario games for a while now. Super Mario Galaxy's levels were less like the open playgrounds of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Then Super Mario Galaxy 2 had levels that were even less free roaming. Maybe it is a concerted effort of Nintendo's to unify the design of both 2d and 3d Mario games? I hope not. I really enjoy a good 2d Mario game, and some of the 2d games are among my favorite games of all time. But I really love having the variation between the 2d and 3d series.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good game. I still enjoy playing it occasionally. And it packs in a real challenge towards the end (in fact I think this game represents the best difficulty balance compromise of any game I have ever played. Most players will be able to reach the ending with perseverance, but there are optional and hidden levels that even veterans will find a struggle. The graphics are still for the most part a bit sterile and plastic-like. I think Nintendo were still figuring out the whole HD thing here, and you can see clear experimentation of textures on some levels. Mario Kart 8 is an indication that the have finally sussed this issue out, and I hope that the next 3d Mario game will have a richer, more 'organic' look.,

I should mention the multiplayer, as it seems this was a big focus for Nintendo when making this game. It is fun, and me and my regular group of gaming friends will play together every now and then, but it hardly an essential multiplayer experience (it is usually discarded in favor of Mario Kart 8 or Nintendo land in our group).

So to summarize...this is a bit of a Mario by numbers. Still a really good game, but not up there with Super Mario 64, or the Mario Galaxy games.
  66. Sep 13, 2014
    Más de lo mismo, más de 30 años jugando a lo mismo CANSA! Donde está la next gen??? un juego de menos de dos gigas, eso ocupaban algunos en PSX...
  67. Sep 11, 2014
    When it comes to pure fun. This is simply one of the best Mario games and one of the best platformers, in general, in a long, long time. Great graphics, great gameplay, great music. Pure unadulterated fun straight up
  68. Sep 9, 2014
    It looks like trash and plays like a 5 year old's video game. The levels are simple, short and offer no real challenge. I have had mild fun playing the worse Mario game ever when playing with others, but once your playing single player you'll see how shallow this game really is. I'm SHOCKED that any professional reviewer scored this a 10/10 they must have been some real hardcore IwataIt looks like trash and plays like a 5 year old's video game. The levels are simple, short and offer no real challenge. I have had mild fun playing the worse Mario game ever when playing with others, but once your playing single player you'll see how shallow this game really is. I'm SHOCKED that any professional reviewer scored this a 10/10 they must have been some real hardcore Iwata groupies, I hope IGN, Game Spot & others FIRE these clowns, their reviews are very misleading. The only reason why so many WII U owners try saying it's excellent because they are happy with anything NINTENDO SPITS at them after the long drought the WII U had and still has. Seriously Nintendo if your going to make us wait 3 to 6 months inbetween games please don't give us a Mario crossed with Dora The Explorer game. Expand
  69. Sep 9, 2014
    It's a good game, better than most games released in 2013, but it's not as good as the critics say it is. If you liked Super Mario Galaxy, this is going to be a disappointment. This is pretty much Super Mario 3D Land with multiplayer. The graphics are simple yet pretty. The music is not as epic as it was in SMG, but the whole game doesn't have the epic wibe of SMG so I guess it fits inIt's a good game, better than most games released in 2013, but it's not as good as the critics say it is. If you liked Super Mario Galaxy, this is going to be a disappointment. This is pretty much Super Mario 3D Land with multiplayer. The graphics are simple yet pretty. The music is not as epic as it was in SMG, but the whole game doesn't have the epic wibe of SMG so I guess it fits in well. The gameplay feels familiar but it still has new mechanics that will keep you interested. Worth a buy, but don't expect too much. Expand
  70. Sep 3, 2014
    Pure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this gamePure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this game even more enjoyable. Even that this game has tons of great parts about it there are still downsides. Having to go back and grind for more stars to open the next work can be some what boring when you are playing with friends and playing alone can be difficult sometimes. But the small problems hardly change that this is a amazing game worth all of your hard earned dollars. Expand
  71. Aug 24, 2014
    Everything in this game is awesome. The 3D gameplay is just outstanding! The new power ups are so much fun and helpful. And finally Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach for once. Its a must play. If you have a Wii U, don't miss out.
  72. Aug 24, 2014
    Mario 3D world is by far one of the most charming Mario games out to date. It offers an experience that can be very smooth and very hectic if you want. It reminds me of the taut competition of Mario's early days against Luigi.

3D world allows you to once more take control of Princess Peach and Toad alongside the titular Mario brothers but in a way that plays homage to one of the earliest Mario games. For old fans of the series, 3D world controls like Super Mario Bros 2 would if it was pushed into 3 dimensions as each character is given their trademark ability from that game. (I am uncertain if these abilities appear in 3D Land) There are some trouble with depth perception in the beginning but the games steady rise in difficulty and its generosity with lives pretty much ensure that the player does not have to worry about lives. But this is a double edged sword for this game. Long time fans who seek a challenge will find the very levels to be painfully easy but the game's difficulty will raise near the later half of the game. That being said, 3D Land offers a great starting point for new fans to jump into the series and enjoy a journey with the plumber in red.
  73. Aug 22, 2014
    O.M.G i love this game it's not just my favourite mario game it's my favourite game of all time the music, the graphics the level design are all fantastic the story is meh i love the cat suit, double cherry, multiplayer, special worlds ecepet fire flower, characters are perfect bosses are perfect and is THE best sounding mario game EVER!
  74. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is really good. Music is great. It plays like Mario 3D land, but better. Is a good to play with friends and family. but is competitive play could be turn off. Overall I say get it.
  75. Aug 18, 2014
    One of the best games for play in local multiplayer with friends and family. Challenging enough and a lot of secret levels after complete the story. Must have for Wii U.
  76. Aug 16, 2014
    This definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My onlyThis definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My only problems with this game is that it was too easy, and the gamepad wasn't used very well, but this is still a stellar must buy for any and all Wii u owners. Expand
  77. Aug 6, 2014
    Ok, this is a tough one.
    This game is Awesome, but I understand why some people dont like it.
    Ok, this is a tough one.
    This game is Awesome, but I understand why some people dont like it.
    For everyone who expects a new 3D Mario Game, like SM64 or sunshine will be disappointed. But for everyone who expects a solid new Jump'n'run will be surprised on how good this game is. The Levels are perfect designed, the multyplayer is great and fun, and this Game is HUGE. You can spend hours and hours non stop and still find new stuff. For every Wii U owner, this is a must buy, when you have a fun with plattformers. If you dont, than why do you buy a Nintendo console?
  78. Jul 31, 2014
    Best game on the Wii U. As challenging and addictive as the Mario games before. This is actually my favourite release since Mario 64. Enjoyed collecting all the stars.
  79. Jul 28, 2014
    Do not purchase this game! One of the worst games I've played in over two years. Cons: The option to pick up/jump on your fellow player(s) from Super Mario Bros. Wii is still there and it still causes mass amount of frustration amongst the couple/group. The cat suit is not great and hopefully will be forgotten in future entries into the main series. Most of the music doesn't feel likeDo not purchase this game! One of the worst games I've played in over two years. Cons: The option to pick up/jump on your fellow player(s) from Super Mario Bros. Wii is still there and it still causes mass amount of frustration amongst the couple/group. The cat suit is not great and hopefully will be forgotten in future entries into the main series. Most of the music doesn't feel like "Mario" and is continuously rehashed throughout the game. Touching or rubbing the game pad was distracting and ruined the pace of any level requiring it. Pros: Captain Toad and Plessie levels were intriguing and a welcome break from the main entry. The mic blowing to discover hidden objects and deter mini goombas was interesting, but, did not add quality to the game. The double cherries were also interesting but were used very rarely. Having all four of the classic characters from Super Mario Bros. 2 instead of 2 toads was the best thing about this game. Expand
  80. Jul 25, 2014
    This Game is a good example of a good game, It has AMAZING graphics and good controls just like all of the other Mario games I would love to see another Mario game like this a game to play with your family Thanks Nintendo
  81. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games I have ever played in YEARS. It starts off with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad taking a nice stroll in the Mushroom Kingdom. Suddenley they encounter a broken Clear Warp Pipe, Mario and Luigi in plumber fashion fix up the Pipe and suddenley a green fairy known as the Sprixie pops out and tells Mario and company that Bowser is up to his evil schemes. Bowser suddenly pops out of the pipe, captures the Sprixie and takes her away. Mario and company without hesitation jump into the pipe and follow Bowser. They are taken to a whole new world known as the Sprixie Kingdom where Bowser has captured all the Sprixies in 7 different landscapes all of them with there respective themes. So now Mario and company have TWO objectives: Save the 7 Sprixies and the Sprixie Kingdom. This game is a blast especially in Multiplayer, the fun NEVER ends and it NEVER will, this is a must buy game for the Wii U and a very fun game in general. Expand
  82. Jul 15, 2014
    The natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to beThe natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to be distinct, and the art style and music give the game a fantastic vibrancy few games have today. An utter delight to play. Expand
  83. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly magical Mario adventure. It may not take many chances but it does everything with such flair it hardly matters.

Super Mario 3D World's gameplay isn't revolutionary by any means. It simply takes the tried and tested Mario formula and improves on it in almost every single way, adding a bunch of great new ideas along the way. The controls are flawlessly tight, the frame rate as smooth and rock solid as it has ever been and the new ideas (and there are plenty of them) all work like an absolute charm. There's the cat suit, which is the most adorable thing ever, allowing you to climb walls and reach areas of maps you otherwise couldn't. This gives a fun element of exploration to the levels on a level that I've never experienced in a 3D Mario game before. There's ideas used from all sorts of previous Mario games and the sliding Nessie levels which are similar to the N64's famous penguin slide level are a particular highlight. The ability to use 4 characters from the onset (including Peach) makes this game really unique in the Mario series. All the characters are well balanced and yet different enough to make using each of them a unique experience. I should also mention at this point that the boss battles are perhaps some of the most inventive of any Mario game. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another new addition are the excellent captain toad levels which bring a nice puzzle element to proceedings. Playing as captain toad who can't jump or attack means even the humble goomba is a mighty enemy and really brings some fresh gameplay to the table. Collecting the 5 green stars as our small hero is a lot of fun and requires good planning above reflexes!

The multiplayer is a chaotic but very fun experience when played against each other but I found it most enjoyable when working together to complete levels. It adds a completely new dimension to the game and I'd thoroughly recommend getting some friends round and giving it a blast!

Visually this blows all previous Mario games squarely out the park. It's an absolute stunner. The shiny sheen on everything and varied use of colour throughout the levels makes this a real feast for the eyes and quite possibly the best looking game I've yet to have the joy of playing on any console. The 3D and yet classically styled overworld is a great modern take on an old concept and really helps give the game a polished feel. It continues to wow me with it's visuals to this day, and I've played a lot of it.

Content wise there is plenty. There are 8 worlds with plenty of levels and a further Mario Galaxy inspired world (which is brilliant) that you unlock after completing the first 8 worlds. It doesn't end there though there are a few more worlds featuring fresh takes on other levels to unlock. Couple this plethora of worlds with the 3 stars and stamp to collect on each level and you've got a massive game. Collecting the stars feels fun and essential and although certainly challenging has as of yet never felt like a chore to me, and I've collected a lot of them!

In conclusion this is an absolute gem of a game and already belongs to my all-time favourites. It has that 'one more level' gameplay that gets you hooked and it's such a blast to play that I'm sure I'll be playing this for a long while yet. In fact I have trouble deciding whether Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or this are the best Mario game, which is high praise indeed!
  84. Jul 7, 2014
    What a game! With the addition of new characters, new power ups and gorgeous new visuals it's clear to see why this is one of the stand out titles for the Wii U.

I've recently only just purchased my Wii U, with Mario Kart and Wind Waker, and by far this is the game that's taken up most of my time. Anyone who says that Mario games are too easy clearly hasn't gone much further than the

Anyone who says that Mario games are too easy clearly hasn't gone much further than the first couple of worlds in this game, the bosses have a bit of ease to them, but regardless the fun factor is apparent throughout the whole game. The challenge comes in getting all 3 stars, stamps, and to the top of the flagpole.

This game is far from boring, and is showcasing that although sticking to old formats, Nintendo are not afraid to push in new formulas into their Mario games. With the addition of power-ups like Double Mario, it becomes an inherently more interesting world straight off the bat.

I've high anticipation for Captain Toads own adventures as I found his levels brilliant.
  85. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoy this game. Great level design, the return of classic enemies, along with some new ones. The new power up was great, with very smooth and fun gameplay. AA grade.The multiplayer is more competitive than team based, and it isn't fun at all. Also, why is there no white tanooki suit to help you on the very last level in the special world. Expand
  86. Jun 19, 2014
    It's not groundbreaking, but it didn't have to be. SM3DW is my favorite Mario game so far and is one of the best titles on Wii U. This game is the epitome of Nintendo's innovation and creativity. It's full of fresh ideas and ingenious level design. You won't be disappointed
  87. Jun 13, 2014
    My favorite Mario game since Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo. The gameplay is perfect, and for me that's the most important in a videogame. Any stage is like a Level Designer Class for anyone who wants to make games. And the music is also amazing.
  88. Jun 10, 2014
    This game is a... little bit better than meteoker mario title. let'sjust say it had very few flaws but they where big ones.one of which is how easy this is. I should be done with the game and i bought it a week ago! but I can't. Why? In the game there is in each level 3 green stars and you have tto get a certain number of stars in order to get to places like other levels or castles. BUT IThis game is a... little bit better than meteoker mario title. let'sjust say it had very few flaws but they where big ones.one of which is how easy this is. I should be done with the game and i bought it a week ago! but I can't. Why? In the game there is in each level 3 green stars and you have tto get a certain number of stars in order to get to places like other levels or castles. BUT I CAN'T FINISH THE FRICKING GAME BECUASE I NEED 200 STARS WHEN I ONLY HAVE LIKE 115!! I DON'T WANNA GO BACK AND GET 200 FREAKING STARS. I like the whole power ups thing like the cat. but that's it. Expand
  89. Jun 5, 2014
    One of the most fun games you can play with three other people of any age. It's a great teamwork game, and not everyone has to be at the same level of playing skill to have a great time. There are some really creative worlds, it's a blast.
  90. Jun 1, 2014
    I am in no way a fanboy of Nintendo. I bought both the PS4 and the Wii U on launch day, and there is no hiding that I have been disappointed with the game line up on both consoles for the first 6 months to a year. After having very little to play on the PS4 I gave my dusty Wii U another chance and picked up some games; Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin, Mario Kart 8, Zelda to name a few.

As

As much as I am a sucker for amazing graphics and physics, there is not one single game on the PS4 or Xbox One that packs as much wonder and magic as any of these titles. Super Mario 3D World takes you straight back to when you were a kid in front of the TV playing Super Mario World, A Link to the Past or any other classic gem. These games are filled with charm and creativity and are quite easy to pick up - ask my wife. Still, the game is challenging enough to keep a gamer who have been playing since the mid 80's occupied. There is an immense amount of worlds, all completely different from each other with a beautiful score that I could listen to by itself for hours. I can not express how much I love this game, so grab a Wii U (they go pretty cheap on Craigslist and Nintendo sells even refurbished ones) and for god sake buy this game - you won't regret it.
  91. May 30, 2014
    A beautiful masterpiece with amazing sound and level design, this game is truly perfect and is one of the best 3D Mario games ever made, it improves upon 3D land in pretty much every way.
  92. May 28, 2014
    So much better than 3D Land on the 3DS, I couldn't stop playing it.

The only "problem" with the game is that I finished it too quickly, a few more levels would have been nice.
  93. May 28, 2014
    Graphismes énormes. Très grande jouabilité et durée de vie énorme. En attendant un véritable mario tout en 3D cet épisode permet de patienter. Peut être une révélation à l'E3
  94. May 27, 2014
    This game is perfect to play with friends because is fun and a challenge at the same. I put 9 because I'd like to have an "very hard" mode for single player where there aren't power ups. Most of them make the game easy to hell.
  95. May 25, 2014
    This game is a MASTERPIECE is doesn't step a foot wrong. Where do i start? Gameplay is truly innovative and improves upon 3D Land on the 3DS. Graphics are amazing and the story is actually different! LOL. The cat suit is cool and the is just so much content and new ideas. Each level is unique and sometimes there are minigames in the levels. Super Mario World is just pure FUN!!
  96. May 24, 2014
    Ok I just got this game and trout this would just suck because of the boring e3 trailer but I had a little punch of curiosity so I played it and WOW buy this game it's worth it Nintendo you've done it again. the graphics the music the design I give this a big ten
  97. May 20, 2014
    perfect :) What more can I say about it? It's a Mario Game, of course it's gonna be good. but it's the best Mario game we've had in years. No more 2D, even tough there is some levels that are 2.5d.
  98. May 20, 2014
    Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all,Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all, 3D World is a fantastic addition with enough personality to be its own game.

Bowser is at it once again but this time instead of taking the princess, he has kidnapped several fairies and locked them away inside bottles. The team makes hot pursuit and follows Bowser into the fairy’s kingdom. After years of playing the damsel in distress, Princess Peach finally joins the cast once again for the first time since Super Mario Bros 2.

This time around the player gets to choose from four characters to play as; Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.
    Each character has their own unique abilities and flaws similarly to Super Mario Bros 2. Mario is the most balanced character as he is the most agile, Luigi has the highest jump, Peach is the slowest and can float during a jump, and Toad is the fastest. Players can reselect a new character before any level making quick changes in play styles simple. Most levels don’t call for a specific character so playing the game in its entirety as your favorite character is welcome. This refreshing tweak in the formula is an excellent change as it gives players variety as well as a chance to play as their favorite character.

While 3D World is a blast to play in single-player, the fun multiples in co-op. The unique and colorful 3D worlds with New Super Mario Bros.’ chaotic four player co-op action is an excellent blend. Everyone can work together or create chaos, sabotaging each other’s game. Tossing friends off cliffs, stealing every power-up, and doing whatever it takes to get the highest on the flagpole always keeps every teammate active. Each player has their own score tallied against each other at the end of each level and the player with the highest wins a wearable crown. This subtle system keeps players looking out to being number one and getting the crown when everyone is supposed to be working together.

The classic power-ups including the Fire Flower, Star, and Boomerang Flower make a return as well as joined by a few new power-ups. The main new power-up this time around is the Cat Suit, a power-up that transforms the character into a cat. With the suit, the character struts around on all fours and gains new abilities including a scratch attack as well as a dive bomb move adding new offensive options. The cat suit also allows Mario and the gang to scale walls, helping them escape enemies and find new hidden passages. The new power-up also allows the user to climb to the top of the flagpole from any angle. The cat suit is a useful and fun new addition to the line-up of powers.

The other new power-up is the Double Cherry. With this power-up, a player duplicates their character and adds another duplicate with each new cherry pick-up. While it is a neat mechanic, as you control multiple clones of your character, it isn’t as useful as a full time power-up. If one clone strays too far away or gets hit you lose a clone, so the fun with clones ends quicker than it began.

Green Stars and Stamps replace Star Coins as the collectibles in this game. As the Star Coins before, there are three Green Stars in each level as well as one Stamp. A few levels can only be opened by having a certain number of Green Stars so returning to past levels and clearing them completely is both rewarding and satisfying. Bonus stages also appear after the credits, encouraging many to return and gather up Green Stars. You can even unlock a recognizable bonus character.

My only issue is the game’s camera. Players familiar with Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS will recognize the same camera. There are times where the focused camera can feel a bit annoying even confusing. One accidental leap of faith can lead to uncertain death until the “too bad” chime plays. There were a few insists during my play through where my character would do the cat diving move far off camera and dive off into an unseen death pit. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially during chaotic four-player sessions. Another small issue I had is that the game features no controller options so player can’t remap their buttons. With the multiple controller options, including the Wii U Pro Controller as well as Wiimote and Nunchuk, it’s a surprise this feature wasn’t included.

Super Mario 3D World doesn’t reinvent the Mario formula, but it is a refreshing new addition to the current Mario line-up. The game delivers with both an outstanding cast of characters and both nostalgic and unique level designs. This game has been one of the most fun experiences I had with a Mario game in a while. 3D World truly delivers challenge, fun, and surprise for all to enjoy.
  99. May 15, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World packs the same creative 3D platforming that made the Galaxy games so great along with the charm of the classic Mario games and its own new fresh ideas. Nintendo has proven yet again that they know how to make their series new again.
  100. May 12, 2014
    My opinion in short:
    - great multiplayer fun
    - fun new ideas
    - awesome graphics
    - replayability because of stamps and stars
    - stamps for Miiverse
    - new items are awesome!
    - soundtrack is superb
    - the different characters are not soooo different from each other in my opinion
    - playtime feels a little short though
    - buy it if you like jnr's or mario!
  101. Nov 22, 2013
    It's launch day, so I may be rushing to judgement here, but up through the first half of the game this has to be one of the best platformers ever made. The 4-player co-op is even better than in New Super Mario Bros. because there is more space for a casual player to keep safe while the experienced gamers lead the way. As is typical for a Mario game, the levels start off very easy but rampIt's launch day, so I may be rushing to judgement here, but up through the first half of the game this has to be one of the best platformers ever made. The 4-player co-op is even better than in New Super Mario Bros. because there is more space for a casual player to keep safe while the experienced gamers lead the way. As is typical for a Mario game, the levels start off very easy but ramp up in difficulty as it progresses. The level variety and design is just the best in the industry. The double cherry power ups alone are a brilliant and well-executed idea worthy of a whole game: in some levels you can control a huge amount of clones by collecting cherries. It works amazingly well and controlling all of the clones at once is actually manageable and intuitive. If you're all about the gameplay and don't care about realistic graphics or storyline, there isn't any better game on the market. I'm saying this as someone who owns an Xbox and Playstation, too. I have plenty of games to play right now, but there's nothing I'd rather play over this. Collapse

1. Jan 28, 2015
    This game was yet another solid, fun-for-days title in the Mario series.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    While not as revolutionary as Mario 64 or Galaxy, 3D World manages to feel simultaneously fresh and nostalgic in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series never quite realized.
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]