8.9

1. Sep 20, 2013
    The original was amazing and was filled with so much adventure. The same is true for The Wind Waker HD. Also, I love being able to play this on my Wii U as the HD remake looks spectacular.
  2. Sep 21, 2013
    A really beautiful work of art. Many people were wondering how you make cel animation compatible with HD. Well here you go. They also took all the flaws of the original Wind Waker and ACTUALLY addressed them. Superb. My favorite Zelda game in a VERY long time.
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, was a game that USE to have two major flaws---a low difficulty level and pacing issues. With these two problems, the original game, while still fantastic, was unable to live up to the standard of its predecessors Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask... but The Wind Waker HD fixes all of these issues and allows this game to shine as the piece of artwork itThe Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, was a game that USE to have two major flaws---a low difficulty level and pacing issues. With these two problems, the original game, while still fantastic, was unable to live up to the standard of its predecessors Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask... but The Wind Waker HD fixes all of these issues and allows this game to shine as the piece of artwork it was meant to be. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    When I initially saw videos of the game, especially in comparison to the original, I hated it. Everything looked too soft, too bloomed, too foggy- all the colors that made the original different and fun seemed gone.

After starting the game, I immediately knew I'd never trust another review like that again. The colors are all there and absolutely stunning when playing on the TV. (They're still there on the gamepad, but there are small differences that can be attributed to your individual TV settings.) To say the game is gorgeous is an understatement. You get all the things that made the original stylistically great, but even better- vibrant colors, smooth and crisp lines entities, sound and music that always fit the mood, and incredibly expressive characters (Link in particular!) make this possibly the most personable and charming of the console games.

The gameplay's as solid now as it ever has been, but the more recent tweaks included really spice things up. Travel over water is now much faster and the ocean feels far less empty. For the dungeons, puzzles, and combat, not much has changed, but that's a good thing.

What has changed MOST though is the interface and controls. At first I was sort of worried about the Wii U game pad- it looked so big and clunky, but after using it for 10 minutes I fell in love- and that was just for browsing Wii U menus! Using it in game is a real treat. You have easy access to the map and item screens without ever needing to pause or wait, and the drag and drop for items is splendid. The controller feels right in the hands- it fits well and is quite light! This ties nicely into an addition they added the 3DS, and that's motion based controllers for first person views. Want to take a picture? Activate your pictograph box and hold up your game pad! It will move with you- which is even more impressive when you're playing with the game pad only. It ties into item use as well, such as the grappling hook and others, and feels much faster than regular thumb use. The only thing missing is the ability to connect a wii-remote and use it as the Wind-Waker baton!

This game is everything I wanted it to be- a direct improvement and complete remastering of the original that takes full advantage of what makes the Wii U great. It's sold me on the console's abilities and brought me back to a delightful childhood memory that seems even better the second time around. This game is a must-buy for all Legend of Zelda fans, and all those who love good old fashioned ADVENTURE.
  5. Sep 22, 2013
    Simplemente es perfecto, es adictivo y puedes visitar muchas islas y encontrar muchos tesoros en el mar. sus graficos son excelentes, aunque nunca se debe juzgar a un juego por sou graficos.
    El mejor juego de Wii U hasta la fecha.
    Es diferente a otros Zeldas, ademas que los personajes son Toon, tambien son otros y la historia cambia bastante
  6. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never played the original (I never owned a GC), but after watching a lot of footage and comparisons between the two versions, I can wholeheartedly say that an amazing remake. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD goes above and beyond what most remakes these days do.

The most obvious point (considering that this IS an HD remake) is the graphics. Most remakes simply upscale the resolution to 720p and fiddle with lighting, edges, etc. to make the game look a bit cleaner. Wind Waker HD has many of its animations and environments completely rebuilt to look good in Native 1080p, and the game really looks like it was built for the Wii U. For a game with a more cartoonish art style like Wind Waker, the improvement may be obvious, but if you look at the details and backgrounds, you'll see the magnitude of the difference.

In addition, Wind Waker HD smartly improves on a key aspect of the game that ruined it for some people back when it was originally released in 2002 it speeds up the sailing. Much of the original game was centered around travelling over the vast sea that made up the overworld. While this really accentuated the game's focus on open-world adventure and was a technical marvel for the time, many found the sailing to be too slow. This was made worse by the fact that you a to manually change the wind direction every time you wanted to turn your boat, which made navigating the overworld very tedious at times. With a new item called the Swift Sail, Link's boat moves much faster and automatically changes the wind direction to the direction you're facing when you activate it. It's a huge improvement.

There are also a plethora of minor improvements that add up. Your inventory is continually displayed on the Gamepad, so you won't have to pause the game when you want to equip or look at items (though you can if you want). You can now aim in first-person for some items, and re-listen to hints given by fish you meet at sea whenever you want. Also notable is the added Miiverse functionality, where posts from Nintendo's new forum, randomly appear all over the world. This doesn't really improve gameplay, but can serve as a fun distraction from the main quest and is probably the best integration of Miiverse I've seen yet.

Despite the improvements made, there are a couple of things that might serve to turn some people off from picking this game up. First the lack of any real additional content. Many cite that it was said in a developer interview that a couple of dungeons were left out of the final game. However, these dungeons were already used in later Zelda games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. But the problem still remains: there's no new additional content. Remakes like Link's Awakening DX and A Link to the Past & Four Swords added additional content; the former added a new dungeon and the latter added a short game. Though Wind Waker feels complete as it is, additional content could really serve as an incentive for people to buy the game. More minor but worth noting is that Wind Waker loses a bit of its cartoonish feel in the jump to HD, though this can more attributed to the technology than to the developers. Still some may not like the changes.

All in all, The Waker HD is an excellent remake. It improves on almost every aspect of the original while adding a couple of things as well. A little extra content would be appreciated, and the original loses some of its visual appeal, but that doesn't stop this from being a fantastic remake. If you really aren't that interested in remakes or really can't take to the visual changes, then you probably won't be sold on this game. However, If you never played Wind Waker before or want to play the game how it was meant to be experienced, then this game is absolute must-have for you.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game back when it came out on the GameCube. I completed it and it was an extremely fun game. But now that I have it for the Wii U, let me say "WOW". This is a lot better than I was expecting! The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay using the Wii U gamepad is perfect, and playing in hero mode is a wonderful challenge! Already I have hit the "GAME OVER" screenI really enjoyed this game back when it came out on the GameCube. I completed it and it was an extremely fun game. But now that I have it for the Wii U, let me say "WOW". This is a lot better than I was expecting! The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay using the Wii U gamepad is perfect, and playing in hero mode is a wonderful challenge! Already I have hit the "GAME OVER" screen 3 times, and this is a very good thing because I don't think I ever did that with the easy GameCube version. Everything is polished to perfection if you are on the fence, get a Wii U just for this game and the many great games that are coming out soon. Long live the Legend! Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    One of the finest adventure games tweaked and remastered make this a no-brainer for Wind Waker newcomers and a fantastic nostalgia ride as well. Pleasantly surprised that this game is the best gaming experience that I have had this year.
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    Playing the HD remake makes me feel so old! I enjoyed the original, but have enjoyed this more. The mechanics feel a lot better then they did on the Game Cube, add in HD and you've got yourself a 10/10 remake.
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    The game is amazing and the updated visuals assures that this game will remain as one of the most beautiful for another decade. Hero Mode really adds to the challenge the game is much better with Hero Mode active. Can't give it anything less than a 10.

The adventure is filled with things to do, treasures to hunt, places to reach, and a beautiful ocean to set sail on.
  11. Oct 30, 2013
    The definite version of one of the greatest games of all time. A classic game that will be forever a gem in the nintendo gallery. A must-have game for everyone.
  12. Nov 4, 2013
    I loved the original game because it was pretty much not stop action. This one is basically the same but the graphics blow you into another universe. Goes without saying: Wii U has superior controls!
  13. Oct 2, 2013
    This is everything a remake should be. It keeps the entire essence of the original while at the same time fixing so many of the problems that the original did have. It didn't try to distance itself too far, but it also improved on itself. This is as perfectly as a remake really can be done.
  14. Sep 30, 2013
    Excellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think beforeExcellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think before they speak. Expand
  15. Nov 6, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda is my all-time favorite video game series, and The Wind Waker is my favorite entry in that series. I have so many wonderful memories of the original, and to play WWHD now is such a delight. The visuals have been upgraded wonderfully. There are tons of refinements to the overall experience, and they fixed some of the biggest flaws that kept the original GameCube versionThe Legend of Zelda is my all-time favorite video game series, and The Wind Waker is my favorite entry in that series. I have so many wonderful memories of the original, and to play WWHD now is such a delight. The visuals have been upgraded wonderfully. There are tons of refinements to the overall experience, and they fixed some of the biggest flaws that kept the original GameCube version from attaining the status of perfection other Zelda titles have attained. Now, with WWHD, this is a caveat-free masterpiece I'd heartily place alongside the greats like ALttP, OoT, Link's Awakening, etc. This is what remakes should be. I love it! Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    It's hard to pinpoint favorites in a franchise as storied as The Legend of Zelda, but I think The Wind Waker HD just might be it for me. This is a delightful experience from start to finish; one which miraculously manages to capture everything that makes Zelda games great, while adding new ideas and avoiding pretty much all of the pitfalls.

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of personality to begin with, look positively stunning in HD. More than once I stopped playing for a few moments just to gaze with awe at the gorgeous 3D cartoonish sceneries. I've seen people complaining about how one detail or another doesn't look quite as good as the Gamecube version, but I call shenanigans: the lighting is better, the colors are more vibrant, everything looks just the way it should.

The game is set on the Great Sea, which is littered by islands of all types and sizes. At first, navigation is achieved mainly through the Wind Waker, a maestro's baton that controls the winds. Soon, however, savvy players will come across a special sail that is not only faster, but dispenses the use of the Wind Waker altogether, which makes exploration even more delightful. The storyline is very poignant; a nice surprise, since Zelda games tend to repeat themselves in this regard. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that there's a tragic story behing the Great Sea and its people.

The gameplay is as tight as it gets, with a fluid combat system and amazing controls for Link's inevitable arsenal of weapons (the gamepad's gyroscope, for example, lets you aim by simply tilting the controller to one side or another). The dungeons are just the right size, offering plenty of challenges but always stopping short of becoming tedious. No longer will you have to suffer through chores like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, for example.

The sidequests follow suit. In fact, the deviations from the main storyline here might just be the best the series has ever had. One of the game's most enduring sidequests tasks you to use the pictobox (this world's version of a photo camera) to take pictures of every single character you find, including townsfolk, allies, enemies, and bosses. Those pictures can then be transformed into figurines, which will fill several thematic rooms in one of the game's islands. If you're the collector type (like myself), you'll taste a little bit of heaven every time you come across a new character or a new breed of enemy.

Finally, the game's use of the Miiverse, Nintendo's exclusive social media, is the best I've ever seen. Once you get an item called the Tingle Bottle, you get to send messages-in-a-bottle that will then be found (and hopefully replied) by other people playing the game. Your letters can contain words, pictures, and drawings, and the fun is exponentially extended by simply hunting down bottles to interact with fellow players.

I keep wanting to further defy brevity by talking about numerous other assorted details, which should tell you just how impressed I am. Boasting insane levels of personality and a vast world filled to the brim with secrets, The Wind Waker HD shows that the little Gamecube title that could is, in fact, a timeless classic.

Rating: 10.0
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    The only Zelda I never played was Wind Waker and now I get to play it like this in HD. Having completed all the Zelda games and being about 80% complete with this one I can say it is my favorite. The game looks beautiful and plays like a zelda game.
  18. Jan 1, 2015
    This is definitively the best Zelda ever ! The graphics are amazing on wide 1080p TV and no freeze at all ! I was lucky because I never really saw the Gamecub version so for me that one is new. I love the story, the background and the ambient! the best Wii U Game ever !
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    The remake of this brilliant game looks absolutely spectacular. This isn't the Zelda game I would have picked for an hd remake (Majora's Mask needs it) but I love it anyway
  20. Sep 27, 2014
    The definitive version of the Gamecube classic. If you overlooked this gem in the past, this Wii U remaster is the perfect way to experience one of the greatest legends in the Zelda universe.
  21. Sep 23, 2013
    One of the greatest action/adventure games of all time back in HD, not only that but they listened to the complaints that some said about the original(i.e. sailing is boring, so they added the fastest sail). While the miiverse is kinda of annoying it's not enough to ruin the experience and there is probably a setting to turn that off somewhere.
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    Gorgeous, perfect. The pacing tweaks and gamepad functionality are greatly appreciated. The gameplay is timeless and the game features one of the best Zelda storylines.
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    Prefect Just Perfect, My favorite game of all time in HD revamped, its even better than before!
    Looks good on the TV looks good on the Gamepad 10/10 gameplay!
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    It's worth note that I never finished Wind Waker on the Gamecube. Despite being a devoted fan of the rest of the series, Wind Waker did not hold my attention through the long bouts of sailing and some z-targeting issues despite the fact that I loved the cell shaded style. So, how do I go from not even finishing a game to giving it a 10/10?

The gamepad. Every complaint I have with this

The gamepad. Every complaint I have with this game is immediately resolved by the gamepad. Your inventory, the save button, your map, tingle bottle messages, all of it is right there in front of you on the gamepad. This streamlines the process of trudging through dungeons or crossing the sea.

Visually, the game is a delight. If you turn up the volume, you'll also note that the music has been re-recorded by what sounds like a live orchestra. The story is pretty familiar if you have played any Zelda game in the past, but it does the trick. Controls are solid and while the pro control can be used for this tile, I can't imagine doing so when the gamepad adds so much.

Finally, the online community. The camera item you receive, in a genius move by Nintendo, allows you to take "selfies" of Link. This has led to a large number of Link "selfies" being shared over the miiverse by players usually accompanied by amusing taglines. This makes the message in a bottle system in the game half the fun of playing the game.

td;lr Wind Waker for the Gamecube was low on my list of favorite Zelda titles. The HD re-release ranks up with Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, no question. If you have been holding off on buying a Wii U until THE game comes out for it, this is THE game.
  25. Sep 27, 2013
    WOW! The game looks beautiful. It sounds beautiful. It plays beautiful..ly. This classic feels modern and has been a whole lot of fun. One of the few games that absolutely deserves a 10/10. I was a bit reluctant about the "bloom" effect because it looks like way too much in all the screenshots, but in game I don't notice. Everything looks just right.
  26. Sep 29, 2013
    Great game, if you played the original on gc you can consider the idea of ​​not buying it, otherwise this is a great opportunity to play this fantastic game!
  27. Oct 4, 2013
    This isn't just a simple HD port, this is a game that has been lovingly remastered to improve on almost every aspect of the original. There's no reason not to experience this game again.
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    Just a great game, with lots of content and beautiful colorful visuals.

The graphics are fresh, and the gameplay is excellent. The use of the GamePad really makes the game more enjoyable.

TEN OUT OF TEN.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    This game is an instant classic. I played it on GameCube and have not touched it since but have been simply blown away by the gorgeous HD graphics. I cannot wait to see what else Nintendo does with Zelda in HD.
  30. Dec 14, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is just one of those games that bursts with adventure. This is by far the best Legend of Zelda game I have ever played. If you get this game, it will be extremely hard to put it down. Since this is my first game review on here... I may have gotten the Review Score wrong. If I did. I meant to put a 10!
  31. Sep 27, 2013

The gamepad. Every complaint I have with this

1. Jan 6, 2014
    After ten years Wind Waker is still as magical as it was when it was first released. The Wii U is all of a sudden looking like a console worth considering.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Fond memories of older games can oftentimes come to shatter when revisited but The Wind Waker still shines bright even after ten years. It is almost hard to believe the game is even that old. The battles, the dungeons and the sidequests are all still top notch and wrapped in timeless cartoon graphics. Have you not yet been enchanted by The Wind Waker then now is a better time than ever.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Wind Waker HD is a must play game not just for Zelda fans, but for every gamer.