ZombiU Wii U

7.7

1. Nov 22, 2012
    AVOID WEBSITE KOTAKU.com they bash Everything nintendo and this guy named owen that does game reviews has a problem with nintendo , this game is great 100%
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    This game isn't perfect by any stretch but no game I have played is. My thoughts on controls are they don't feel bad at all the only issue I tend to come across is accidentally pushing the wrong button to swing my cricket bat for the kill resulting in me getting bit . I don't find them clunky like other reviewers have said they could be better but they are about what I expected them to beThis game isn't perfect by any stretch but no game I have played is. My thoughts on controls are they don't feel bad at all the only issue I tend to come across is accidentally pushing the wrong button to swing my cricket bat for the kill resulting in me getting bit . I don't find them clunky like other reviewers have said they could be better but they are about what I expected them to be not bad not great. Graphics some people bash the graphics in this game but I really dig them the zombies sometimes look like the same person you already fought but this is a minor complaint in my humble opinion. Sure the characters have elongated faces but that is how people from that area usually look so this doesn't bother me they are not as elongated as the characters from Dishonored. So basically you will see more Bremner look a likes than McGregor any fans of trainspotting will get that reference. My ratings breakdown Gameplay/Controls 7.4 Graphics 8.7 Sound 8.2 Replay Value 7.1 Overall 7.85 solid launch title that has it's moments this is more fun than the original Resident Evil games enjoy it. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    This really is a very good game. I was skeptical at first because for whatever reason I thought it might be like Red Steel; it's not. The most important thing to know is that this is a survival horror. This is not a run and gun FPS.. The game does an excellent job of creating a very scary and "edge of your seat" experience. It really sucks to die in this game; which is great because itThis really is a very good game. I was skeptical at first because for whatever reason I thought it might be like Red Steel; it's not. The most important thing to know is that this is a survival horror. This is not a run and gun FPS.. The game does an excellent job of creating a very scary and "edge of your seat" experience. It really sucks to die in this game; which is great because it makes you care. The scavenging and survival aspect of this game is what makes it shine. There aren't enough games that actually make you feel like you are in danger and must forage for anything that might be of use. Some zombie games are good even if they are just built around a "run and gun, kill as many as you can" concept, but that ultimately provides for a much shallower experience than what is offered in ZombiU. Sometimes mindlessly killing zombies may be what you want, but if you feel like a change and the idea of a true survival horror zombie game appeals to you, you should buy this game. Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2012
    Oh my God, there's an entire horde on the other side of this fence. Only 10 bullets left in my pistol? At least I've got two flares. Should've saved a molotov on that last group, though. Equip my flares, a health pack, and open the gate.

5 crows and one zombie. What was I so worried about? ZombiU is not a great action game, I'll say that up front. However, this is completely

5 crows and one zombie. What was I so worried about?

ZombiU is not a great action game, I'll say that up front. However, this is completely unimportant to the experience as a whole. ZombiU capitalizes on making the player feel vulnerable; the tension of knowing that death is potentially around every corner. Most of the time the zombies will lunge and scratch at you, but if just one of them can get their jaws on your flesh, BAM. You're infected.

The game design harkens to the early days of survival horror; ammo is hard to find, health is hard to find, and the zombies need a serious beating from your cricket bat before they quiet down. The graphics are nothing mind-blowing, but they do run smoothly and look great. The sound design is one of my favorite parts; the squish and thud of hitting a zombie with a bat, and the thinly spread music which always makes me feel like there are 10 zombies that are coming for me even though I can see both of the ones in the area.

Atmosphere is honestly ZombiU's greatest achievement, and is a refreshing experience for a long-time Survival Horror fan that had nearly given up on console games in the genre.
  5. Nov 20, 2012
    After playing for close to 10 hours, I am now in love with this game. For someone looking for an action shooter, this is not your game. This is a game of strategy, patience, exploration, and lots of crying.
    My first death was the hardest. Not only did I scream in horror as I tried to pull out a Molotov. I also continued screaming when I spawned in the safehouse and realized my waking there had triggered an event. No supplies, I died quickly and screamed again, realizing that all my gear on my first character had just disappeared. While I think this game mechanic works most of the time, (the whole double death equals a disappearing zombie and loss of all items on said zombie), this instance seems an unfair part. If i could have waited to trigger the event, I could have gotten my gear. After the loss, It took me a while to build my gear up. I had to strategize. I had to know when to run and when to kill. I learned the hard way how important the locker is. If your locker has a few flares and molotovs, retrieval of gear is always much more successful.
    My biggest gripe is multiplayer. The zombie king thing is nice, but why no option to play against the computer? I can't always convince the wife to play king for me and playing solo would be nice.  Why no 2 players in the king of the zombies arena? I think a multiplayer patch that supports 2 screens would be amazing.

Another annoying bit is the lack of melee weapon variation and / or upgrading. It seems a simple thing to add. The Crickett bat does get old, and it never gets more powerful. Luckily, after you make it to Buckingham, weapon variety expands on the projectile front.

Another strange bit is the insistance that the touch screen be used. For instance, when scanning, why can't I just use a button, like Y, to analize or hack?  Reaching off the joystick to tap the screen is awkward and arbitrary, as NONE of the other buttons are used during scanning.Yes, they are trying to make use of all the wii u's gadgets, but sometimes a button is still easier, especially when the alternative is just a button on the screen.

Overall, best launch game by far. I can't stop playing it to even touch Mario or cod for more than a few minutes each. The shortcomings are so obvious, it makes me wonder if they were brought up but pushed aside due to ubisofts corporate structure. This is definitely a buy. If you get frustrated with the difficulty level, set it to chicken mode, which is pretty much 'normal' when you compare it to the standard difficulty.
  6. Nov 21, 2012
    Amazing use of the Gamepad, sometimes it's broken, but that's the point. So hard, maybe the hardest I ever played in the last years. Just remember this isn't a normal first person shooter. It's a tactical survival horror. The gameplay it's the best part, maybe this a real survival horror, many zombies made me jump from my chair, specially when I was playing at night. Ubisoft did a greatAmazing use of the Gamepad, sometimes it's broken, but that's the point. So hard, maybe the hardest I ever played in the last years. Just remember this isn't a normal first person shooter. It's a tactical survival horror. The gameplay it's the best part, maybe this a real survival horror, many zombies made me jump from my chair, specially when I was playing at night. Ubisoft did a great work making this game, because it's really haunted. When you die, you restart with a different character, and the last one you controlled is now chasing you. Great atmosphere. But sometimes is very slow and graphically, is very weak. But that's a good point, too. Just because the zombies look so horrible. A must-have for the Wii U. Expand
  7. Nov 21, 2012
    I am about 7 hours into the game, on my 5th survivor and I have to say how much I am enjoying this game. Its super hard, you will die if you get careless, and the zombies are really great. The only thing I would gripe about are when the event is scripted to add more zombies than there otherwise would be, but it adds to the excitement and gives momentary bursts of action will generallyI am about 7 hours into the game, on my 5th survivor and I have to say how much I am enjoying this game. Its super hard, you will die if you get careless, and the zombies are really great. The only thing I would gripe about are when the event is scripted to add more zombies than there otherwise would be, but it adds to the excitement and gives momentary bursts of action will generally result in my starting a new survivor!

A worthy purchase for anyone who can actually remember what survival horror is.
  8. Nov 22, 2012
    Maybe it's a misunderstanding, maybe times have changed? What ever it is it makes me sad to see that the fruit of Ubisoft's labour has been tarnished by gamers who have not given this game a chance to let it's survival horror elements permeate through them.

It has been mentioned numerous times already in countless reviews that gamers expected an 'action shooter' title or 'CoD' like experience. Well, I'm absolutely glad to say that survival horror is back, and no such game mechanics have found their way into this brilliant piece of software.

ZombiU's greatest achievement is by far evoking fear through a fantastic use of atmospheric sound and level design. While elements of the game mechanics may appear to be broken, they do nothing to cripple the gaming experience, and boy, it's been a long time since a game has provided that.

I'm a bit of an old time gamer - right back from the days of the Spectrum ZX, and in all the time I have been playing great titles, this is actually the first time where it's culminated in a true experience of fear. Many games (and movies) have tried, and achieved a few scares, somewhat cheap ones, but ZombiU isn't cheap and it takes that emotion and plants that element right in the centre of the cerebral core.

The game doesn't have state of the art graphics, there are technical flaws, there are even bugs that can stop the game in it's track (Ubisoft, please fix these in a patch) but despite these issues, and that's what they are - ISSUES, there is still something very special here, and any gamer from any platform worth their salt should recognise that. We should celebrate this game, perhaps I personally do more so because I adore the genre, film or game, and I'm very happy it has divided opinion because this will only draw attention to what is undoubtably going to have a cult following.

In a day and age where we're all told what to like, what is good or bad, trust game reviews like the word of god, it's good to see not all consumers are brainless zombies themselves, that they take the punt beyond what a journalist would say and discover the experience for themselves. It pains me to think there will be people who will not give this game the time of day just because they read or watched a video review - and I know full well if only they'd given it a chance they would have discovered something that may have opened up their gaming world just a little bit more.

If I was to review this game I would have marked it an 8.5, but due to some of the backlash from what are obviously fake reviews I'm showing some love and support by giving it a full 10.

In an age of mindless churned out template titles that strangulate the industry, it good to some companies take a risk to set themselves apart, Ubisoft are magnificent French beauties for having the guts to change direction on a project that ultimately resulted in what will be a very successful game changer. And the fact that the grandfather of all gaming companies is with them on the ride makes it all the more sweet. And if anyone from Ubisoft or Nintendo read this, please know, I for one think you should be very proud.

My final thoughts are on the fear of creative risk and pandering to what people think they want. Let me tell you, people (gamers in particular) as a mass are idiots - they don't have a clue what they want to play and it's why everything is stagnating. Like magpies they look at something and say "I want that!" pointing, grasping - and what they get over and over is diluted with every passing. They think they want it, because they enjoyed it the first time, when it was new. Then every experience feels old, been there and done that - the only way to progress is by making it look better or flashier, pump in production values. The hook isn't that, it's fresh ideas, and without them the industry will flounder. This is why it's important to take risks and it's also why Nintendo for me puts it's ethos at heart with a business sense - rather than milk a cash cow.

What I'm trying to iterate here is ZombiU is a very important title in driving the industry forward, and although it's not perfect, it's certainly very good despite the flaws. And that my dear gamers is a testament to the creatives behind this game.
  9. Dec 3, 2012
    I nearly cancelled my pre-order of the special zombi u console after reading the ign and gamespot reviews because they where so bad. But it was to late for me to cancel so I ended up having to get it. So I got and played and I don't understand what ign and gamespot where playing. Zombi u is invative and really brings back the tension in to the survival horror genre. If you whereI nearly cancelled my pre-order of the special zombi u console after reading the ign and gamespot reviews because they where so bad. But it was to late for me to cancel so I ended up having to get it. So I got and played and I don't understand what ign and gamespot where playing. Zombi u is invative and really brings back the tension in to the survival horror genre. If you where disappointed by the action focused resident evil 6 this year, zombi u is what you have been waiting! Expand
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    I don't know what people are complaining about. This game is awesome! The graphics are okey, maybe not the best but still better than most console games. The sound is amazing. It sets the mood sky high, especially when you're outside in the stormy weather. It's a pretty hard game, maybe that's why some don't like it. If you die your character dies for good and you have to start from theI don't know what people are complaining about. This game is awesome! The graphics are okey, maybe not the best but still better than most console games. The sound is amazing. It sets the mood sky high, especially when you're outside in the stormy weather. It's a pretty hard game, maybe that's why some don't like it. If you die your character dies for good and you have to start from the beginning. You can however track down your former character, kill it and take all the items that you lost. If you got a Wii U and like horror action, this is a game for U Expand
  11. Nov 30, 2012
    This game is pretty good. im glad i picked it up. its a modern day resident evil 2 minus the crappy walking... this is in my top five of games, i truly believe it gets bad reviews because its hard, and not an easy zergfest. they dont hold your hand through it like most games anymore. id say its for hardcore gamers
  12. Dec 2, 2012
    It would be difficult to offer any review for ZombiU without words like "intense", "atmospheric", or "terrifying." While this game rewards those who play with caution after your first handful of deaths, you'll get a sense for what works and what doesn't, and this will likely allow for a better flow, and a more enjoyable experience. The features that make this a "WiiU" game may take someIt would be difficult to offer any review for ZombiU without words like "intense", "atmospheric", or "terrifying." While this game rewards those who play with caution after your first handful of deaths, you'll get a sense for what works and what doesn't, and this will likely allow for a better flow, and a more enjoyable experience. The features that make this a "WiiU" game may take some getting used to, and most will find-- after they have become accustomed to managing your inventory while remaining vulnerable to attacks, for example-- that these features simply work and add to the gameplay experience. Scanning a room with your gamepad becomes second nature with time, and offers something that you've never been able to experience in a game before. In many ways, ZombiU may very well be more about what a player DOESN'T know as it is anything else. At first this can be a titch frustrating, as trying to figure out just how to use your weapons efficiently and effectively can lead to accidental deaths. The games refusal to hold your hand can land you into some tough spots and some early mistakes you make may be more due to your general cluelessness as a supposed Zombie Apocalypse survivor (read, "noob"), than it is to fair and challenging gameplay. But these moments will pass soon enough, if you give the game a chance. Over time you will become familiar with game and the element of the unknown will shift from frustrations to intrigue. "What's around that corner?" "Is that animal showing up on my radar a bird or a Zombie?" "What does a survivor have to do to get a working map around here!?" may all be questions that are asked repeatedly, while moody, understated music and solid graphics carry you along through an overall very enjoyable experience. In short, this game is a unique experience which is not without its faults or frustrations, though overall provides an intensely enjoyable thrill that can keep a player up at night either playing it, or for those who are more timid/easily scared, making it harder to sleep. If this is a sign of things to come for the WiiU, it's going to be a great ride. Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a zombie fanatic so when I first heard about ZombiU I had to have it. It's literally the whole reason I bought a Wii U, and while it's not perfect it's a game that I recommend to all zombie fans. This is a survival horror game will both challenge and frighten you. Unlike most zombie games the infected actually won't go down without a fight, making encounters against more than one ofI'm a zombie fanatic so when I first heard about ZombiU I had to have it. It's literally the whole reason I bought a Wii U, and while it's not perfect it's a game that I recommend to all zombie fans. This is a survival horror game will both challenge and frighten you. Unlike most zombie games the infected actually won't go down without a fight, making encounters against more than one of them a tense ordeal, and if your off your game against even one of them it will spell doom for your character. One of the most unique features of ZombiU is the permadeath system, which means if your character dies their dead for good, at which point you come back as a new survivor who then has to go back and hunt down your now zombified old character and get your supplies back. It works really well and helps set ZombiU apart from just being another undead shooter. This game is also a fantastic way for Nintendo to show off what the Wii U is capable of doing with it's two screen functionality. For most of the game you'll look at the TV screen, but when your doing things like looting, lock-picking, and checking your backpack, ect. you'll be looking at the gamepad, the cool thing about this is that when your looking at the game-pad the outside world does not pause so your never safe and at any time a walker can come up and kill you while your distracted, so you really need to be aware of you surroundings at all time. All of these help make ZombiU a gem on the Wii U, and hopefully this will be the start of a Wii U exclusive zombie series. Now for the bad, if this game does get a sequel there are some things that need to be fixed. Gunplay needs to be better, melee combat, while satisfying, could benefit from more weapons (preferably something better than a weak cricket bat, a machete would be nice), there are some technical issues that need to be fixed, a better story that preferably let's you choose which characters you side with, and I don't want to have to wait for a door to open while the game is loading (sometimes this took close to a minute). But even with it's flaws ZombiU is a excellent and challenging zombie, survival-horror game for your Wii U. I highly recommend. Expand
  14. Mar 31, 2013
    ZombiU is a great game. While it misses on a few elements such as how many times it takes to kill a zombie with the melee weapon and maybe not having the most coherent story, what the game does well makes these flaws an afterthought. I don't think I've ever played a game that had me on my toes as much as this one. When a zombie pops up behind you or around a corner it's legitimatelyZombiU is a great game. While it misses on a few elements such as how many times it takes to kill a zombie with the melee weapon and maybe not having the most coherent story, what the game does well makes these flaws an afterthought. I don't think I've ever played a game that had me on my toes as much as this one. When a zombie pops up behind you or around a corner it's legitimately frightening. It's hard to understand the ign and gamestop reviews, I would of thought this game would be hailed as innovative and taking risks, unlike many of the FPS type games out today. The atmosphere of this game is really something special. Expand
  15. May 15, 2013
    This is a very fun and atmospheric game. The gamepad integration is really cool. This is a 15 hour game with pretty good visuals and good sound. You will experience a lot of frame drops but its not terrible.
  16. Aug 31, 2014
    ZombiU is a very refreshing game, that deserves being praised a lot more than it was. Don't expect to be running around blasting zombies with a rocket launcher! No, you'll be slowly moving in dark corridors, checking every corner, and praying you won't run into a pack of zombies because you are almost out of ammo... There is a lot of tension, as the game is unforgiving and a small mistakeZombiU is a very refreshing game, that deserves being praised a lot more than it was. Don't expect to be running around blasting zombies with a rocket launcher! No, you'll be slowly moving in dark corridors, checking every corner, and praying you won't run into a pack of zombies because you are almost out of ammo... There is a lot of tension, as the game is unforgiving and a small mistake can get you killed (and the death mechanics are really cool, putting high pressure in the recovery of your former self's gear). A really great game if you're up to a (scary) challenge! Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    ZombiU is a fantastic survival horror game. This is the first thing that should be taken note of when looking at the game. If you're going into the game expecting the casual shoot-fest you'd get in a game like Left 4 Dead or any other modern FPS, you're going to be severely shocked. The game is a complete revival of the survival horror genre of games, which has been sitting in disrepairZombiU is a fantastic survival horror game. This is the first thing that should be taken note of when looking at the game. If you're going into the game expecting the casual shoot-fest you'd get in a game like Left 4 Dead or any other modern FPS, you're going to be severely shocked. The game is a complete revival of the survival horror genre of games, which has been sitting in disrepair ever since Resident Evil dropped it for a more action-oriented game focus. The game makes superb use of the Wii U's innovative gamepad, from the single player all the way to the multiplayer, which I feel is possibly one of the coolest concepts for a multiplayer game in a long, long time. If you love REAL horror games and you want to play a challenging zombie survival game, you will get just that with Zombi U. Expand
  18. Jan 7, 2013
    I have 7 games for the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts Unlimited, GameParty Champions (Don't ask, it was a gift), Assassins Creed III, and the one I keep coming back to (besides Assassins Creed II) ZombiU. There are many mixed feelings about this great title. Personally, I find this one of the best launch games there areI have 7 games for the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts Unlimited, GameParty Champions (Don't ask, it was a gift), Assassins Creed III, and the one I keep coming back to (besides Assassins Creed II) ZombiU. There are many mixed feelings about this great title. Personally, I find this one of the best launch games there are for the Wii U. Several hate it because of its "horrible and ugly" graphics, and game changing bugs. Most of the 1990's games are the best and on the Top 100, but did they have fantastic graphics? No. Graphics are a big part of a game, but not the biggest factor to choosing a game to play. I actually think the graphics were fantastic for a game so early on in the Wii U's lifetime. The setting was so creepy, horrifying, and ugly that it made the game. An apocalypse is supposed to be ugly. I doubt when there are zombies you will go outside and say, "It's so pretty outside, what beautiful weather." Another thing people are complaining about is the use of the cricket bat. Well it isn't that bad. The use of gamepad, difficulty, and "heart-attack" moments complete this game. So pick up this game with your Wii U and you will be pleased for a while. I suggest that you are not 5 playing this game, or you will literally **** your pants. Survival-Horror. Expand
  19. Jan 9, 2013
    One of the best games of the year. Its a zombie game that's actually scary to play. It makes even one or two zombies frightening, let alone a hoard. The sound/music is amazing and perfectly timed. The use of the Wii U pad feels natural. Its also very challenging which gives you an authentic zombie experience. People say the melee system gets repetitive but they probably didn't even findOne of the best games of the year. Its a zombie game that's actually scary to play. It makes even one or two zombies frightening, let alone a hoard. The sound/music is amazing and perfectly timed. The use of the Wii U pad feels natural. Its also very challenging which gives you an authentic zombie experience. People say the melee system gets repetitive but they probably didn't even find all the hidden weapons or loot for ammo because there are great weapons like the cross-bow where you can pick up your used arrows. Plenty of great weapons and ways to kill while still giving you a scary feeling. You also have the option to play this game with 1 life, meaning 1 life and your whole game is over. Up for a challenge?

The worst part of the game is the story. I didn't feel it was too bad myself, but when you have many children who don't want to dig deeper at the story, its understandable. It doesn't tell you everything up front, and even then, what kind of story other than survival do you expect? There's also letters around the game that you could read and try figuring stuff out but I never read them. There's a story but I wont go deeper. Buy this game if you're into zombies and survival. Don't buy it if you rather play Borderlands.
  20. Jan 10, 2013
    I really loved the ZombiU experience.
    The gameplay was awesome, I really felt like i have to survive, and have been scared many times.
    The game was hard and addictive, each death is gonna make you scream.
    The graphisms were quite good and acceptable.

ZombiU is a survival horror, not a FPS, If you prefer shoot zombies instead of hit them with a cricket bat, choose Call Of Duty Black Ops II.
  21. Jan 12, 2013
    A very good and hard Survival Horror game with multiple endings, pretty intense and probably will scare the sh*t out of you, great controls and great use of the GamePad, definitely a must-have for the Wii U.
  22. Feb 1, 2013
    I don't know how this got anything below a 7. I understand that its not perfect but overall it is a very good horror/first person shooter. ZombiU is very fun and has kept me on th edge of my seat the entire time I have played it and it keeps me interested even when Im not playing it. I cant wait to get off work so I can go home and play!
  23. Apr 27, 2013
    This game, for me, is one of the few actual survival-horror titles to come out in the last few years. Not only did it instill a true sense of dread and tension but it made me cautious of my every move and think about every situation. One of my favourite games of 2012 and a game I still enjoy playing now. A real slice of terror instead of the copy and paste spam fests of other 'tripple A' games.
  24. Feb 28, 2013
    being a survival horror game veteran, craving games of days gone past where I'm not playing boring Quick Time Event filled with generic set pieces and countless over the top action sequences (yes Capcom, I'm referring to you) I was extremely happy to find Zombie U ticked all the right boxes for me. Currently 26 hours in and enjoying it immensely atmosphere, challenging immersivebeing a survival horror game veteran, craving games of days gone past where I'm not playing boring Quick Time Event filled with generic set pieces and countless over the top action sequences (yes Capcom, I'm referring to you) I was extremely happy to find Zombie U ticked all the right boxes for me. Currently 26 hours in and enjoying it immensely atmosphere, challenging immersive gameplay, edge of the seat and pulse setting scares have had me playing way into the night. Ok so a few technical issues were found towards the latter part of the game (some basic collision detection proved amusing for 30 seconds whilst some zombie legs jiggled violently through a door) none of which though detracted from this amazing horror experience. I've seen them all and played them all and this is by far the closest thing you can get to zombie apocalypse experience truly terrifying and 100% satisfying. An essential Wii U purchase for fans of the genre. Don't be put off from low reviewers complaining about the cricket bat and lack of weapons. This is a mans game! Not Call of Duty where you march in with nukes strapped to your thighs and dance around like a camp butterfly recreating daft scenarios from Die Hard 4.0 this is survival at its finest Expand
  25. Mar 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why ZombiU has recieved bad reviews- the world may never know. It isn't a game for everyone. And do not mistake it as your typical mindless-shooting, buns ablazing Call of Duty:Zombies-like first person horror shooter. ZombiU sets out to do 2 things- to scare the crap out of you, and to utilize the Wii U GamePad well. It succeeds at both. Since this is a Wii U game, I'll go over the Wii U Gamepad features first. Your primary tool in-game is a backpack (the BOB). It contains your inventory-you drag items you want to use to the top-when looking in the BOB's items menu, as well as a scanner (used to scan secret messages, tell you what items a zombie has, or are in a box or something), and as a map. The Wii U GamePad's touchscreen is used to turn on/off your flashlight (which can recharge automatically), as well as tapping it when breaking barriers or opening heavy objects (similar to button mashing scenes in videogames), and picking locks. In the assymetric local multiplayer mode, it is used, in a topdown view, to select where to place zombies on a map to attack the survivor(who has a Wii U Pro controller or Wiimote and Nunchuck, in a FPS view). When you are using most of these features (with the exceptions of multiplayer, turning your flashlight on/off, and the map), your TV is put in a third person view of everything in the room you are in, and at any moment, you could be attacked (which adds to the realism of this game-since in a real zombie attack, zombies are not going to stop persuing you just because you are looking in a box for food or ammo).

The story- there isn't much of one. A new plague, part of 400 year old, long deceased scientist John Dee's black prophecy, that is of the 'Blight' spreading across London, has come true. The Blight is the zombie infection that has spread throughout London. You are one of the survivors of the Blight, who has been saved by the Prepper, a war veteran who is your helper throughout the game. The Prepper believes that there is 'no saving the world- no evacuation. No cure', and that one must just... survive. Throughout the game, you will also meet a scientist trying to make a cure to the blight, as well as the Ravens of Dee, a secret organization trying to help survivors and stop the Blight. Throughout the game, you may read (or rather hear what your character is reading) or hear recordings of letters of people who were trapped and about to be attacked (for example, a recording in the nursery), which are creepy, and sort of evil,in the sense that they show you the damage the Blight has caused the people of London, and make you angry at the zombies, but even more afraid of them.

Now for the rest of the uniqueness of the game, and other info: The gritty, dirty streets of London gives it a post-apocalyptic atmosphere, and the music adds to the thrill. The gaming industry has been growing stale of truly scary survival horrors, and ZombiU is not only scary, but unique in the sense that when your character becomes Zombified, you play as a new survivor with 6 shots,a cricket bat and a flashlight, and have to find your last character, now zombified, kill it(as well as the zombie who zombified THAT one,and probably a couple more), and get your equipment back. Another thing that makes it unique is the fact that u have limited ammo, and have to scavenge supplies. This makes you rely primarily on your cricket bat. I have to agree with reviewers that this can get rather boring, with only one animation. If there were more animations, this would probably not get as stale.

Apart from the regular story mode, there is Survival mode (the same story, but with only one life), and an assymetric PvP multiplayer mode, that, while i had personally been skeptical about at first, is actually rather fun. The person with the GamePad is the 'King of Zombies', who places Zombies around a map (this requires strategy- especially with the limitations of where you can put them, and the number of them you can have at a time), VS a survivor with a class of guns and equipment, as well as more guns and ammo scattered throughout the map, to pick up at any time. There are three multiplayer modes- Kill Box (the survivor killing as many Zombies as possible), Assault (essentially Domination with four flags- the first player to control all four flags wins), and Survival. These multiplayer modes are incredibly fun, and they show off another of the Wii U's features, assymetric gameplay. Overall, I find ZombiU to be a very good game. It is scary and uses the Wii U GamePad rather well. While it is not the most beautiful videogame, it's lighting effects are great, and the dirty,gritty setting and creepy,suspenseful music add to the thrills that make this an incredible comeback to the horror genre. The game really places you in a Zombie appocolypse, and has amazing ideas, that are implemented very well. So I'd say this game deserves an 8.5 at the very least.
  26. Mar 13, 2013
    This game Is a great Survival Horror game. It is very slow with great atmosphere. It is really good how one zombie can be a threat and get you. The gamepad features are really cool with 2 ways to control it, using the gyroscopic sensor or if you don't feel like moving it around you can use the right analog stick. The gamepad is used as a scanner and as your inventory which is really cool.This game Is a great Survival Horror game. It is very slow with great atmosphere. It is really good how one zombie can be a threat and get you. The gamepad features are really cool with 2 ways to control it, using the gyroscopic sensor or if you don't feel like moving it around you can use the right analog stick. The gamepad is used as a scanner and as your inventory which is really cool. There isnt a huge amount of content and the graphics are not that great. But the lighting system and the cool ways the gamepad is used make up for that. Is this a game for everyone no It is a game if you are a fan of TRUE SURVIVAL HORROR. A great way to tell if you will like this game is if you like the first 3 resident evil games. This game is slow paced survival horror and that is what I like about this game. Expand
  27. Mar 17, 2013
    ZombiU is one of the greater zombie games developed. It has a more haunting and creepy atmosphere than most zombie games. I feel that Nintendo achieved this with the lack of zombies you encounter. Sure, there isn't one around every corner, but that sense of surprise when you do come across one of the undead only adds to the intensity of the game.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    These days it's hard to find a survival horror games. Sure there's still resident evil and stuff like that but they aren't really "scary" then came e3 2012 where ubisoft showed off their ambitious exclusive for wiiu. So how was the game? Amazing. It is survival horror at its finest. I'm willing to put this up with games like re4. Actually scratch that this is BETTER than re4. No AshleyThese days it's hard to find a survival horror games. Sure there's still resident evil and stuff like that but they aren't really "scary" then came e3 2012 where ubisoft showed off their ambitious exclusive for wiiu. So how was the game? Amazing. It is survival horror at its finest. I'm willing to put this up with games like re4. Actually scratch that this is BETTER than re4. No Ashley Graham's whining no qte's just killing zombies. While this isn't the graphical showcase for the u since you can't see anything in the dark the presentation is this games strongpoint. Ubisoft paid tons of attention to detail and it shows. Zombies growl unsettlingly making you tap your radar which also picks up rats and crows so you may see a ton of rats on your radar and become pale. Your character makes whimper noises while using the backpack where there are zombies it's great. The gameplay is ok but nothing to special. It makes good use of the gameplay but the cb combat is clunky and unsatisfying although I don't imagine it being to satisfying during the apocalypse so ill let this one slide. Zombiu is a great action packed adventure that every wiiu owner should experience. Don't let this one pass you by. It rocks. Expand
  29. Aug 14, 2013
    Que jogão! Obrigatório pra quem fã de games de terror (não tão assustador assim, mas te deixa muito apreensivo e te da VÁRIOS sustos). Foi o primeiro jogo que joguei no Wii U então ele que me apresentou e me apaixonou pelo Wii U. Não compre o jogo achando que vai jogar um "Left 4 Dead", pq não Você vai ter que economizar munição sempre que possível, você vai morrer muito, muitas vezesQue jogão! Obrigatório pra quem fã de games de terror (não tão assustador assim, mas te deixa muito apreensivo e te da VÁRIOS sustos). Foi o primeiro jogo que joguei no Wii U então ele que me apresentou e me apaixonou pelo Wii U. Não compre o jogo achando que vai jogar um "Left 4 Dead", pq não Você vai ter que economizar munição sempre que possível, você vai morrer muito, muitas vezes você tem que evitar os Zumbis e SEMPRE vai ter que pensar no que vai fazer. Expand
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    A fun and enjoyable game experience not like most console zombie games. Fun gameplay and interesting use of the Wii U gamepad make it a must have for any Wii U owner.

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.