Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast Wii

6.8

1. Jul 3, 2016
    Really strange and this game has bad controls. This game is one of the worse racers I have ever seen. Graphics look like the gamecube even thought this game came out on the wii. This game sucks.
  2. Oct 18, 2014
    great game, perhaps a bit to simplistic in it's mechanics, but a fresh new twist on the traditional "race people and bash them with items to get ahead" style of racing game we've seen in the past.
  3. Jun 5, 2014
    We cannot understand all the negative reviews for this game in my house. My son, wife and I play this more than any other racer on the Wii (and we have nearly all of them). Tight, fun controls and a lot of hidden depth. After a few play sessions I realized that if I can time my banana fueled turbo boosts to hit a few barrels in a row the turbo boost is extended for example.

There seems

There seems to have been an agenda to hate on this game at the time of its release. Picking up a Wii and this game in 2014 and it is clearly better than most other racers on the system. Reviewers say the on rails mechanic is an insult. It is hardly on rails- you will just slowly go around the track bumping into things if you go afk.

Comparing it to the apparently untouchable Mario Kart Wii this racer does not have the ridiculous "give constantly overpowered items to the guy at the back" programmed in. You win your races due to skill and timing.

It is also a great little workout at times as you pump the num chuck and remote to get up to full speed- Once at max speed you can focus on maneuvering.

So, all in all, a criminally underrated game imo. And for me Mario Kart Wii is just the opposite.
  4. JimU.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Personally i think game reviewers need to get off their high horses. Sometimes a game, is just that - a game! It's not all about high level graphics and "AI". These types of reviews - which is every review - are very misleading for the general public. Anyone considering this game should have a look in the store and ignire this lame reviews by so-called "gamers". These nerds only know Personally i think game reviewers need to get off their high horses. Sometimes a game, is just that - a game! It's not all about high level graphics and "AI". These types of reviews - which is every review - are very misleading for the general public. Anyone considering this game should have a look in the store and ignire this lame reviews by so-called "gamers". These nerds only know about Splinter Cell and Halo. Donkey Kong Jet Race is fun for all. Collapse
  5. DanielY.
    Jan 27, 2008
    This game is simply under-rated. It does not deserve the poor scores it has been given overall. Gameplay is fun and there's plenty to do. It may not offer the Wii's best graphics but, to be honest, i don't think it's trying to. It may not be a 'hardcore game' but it's a great family game and is best enjoyed with more than one player.
  6. RussellC.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Actually was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. As a family game it is pretty decent, especially for those, who like me, have younger kids at home. It doesn't punish you for touching the side of the track, which makes it easier for everyone to play together. The characters were fun and the courses were probably a bit too long, but the short-cuts and helpers (mine cart, rhino, Actually was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. As a family game it is pretty decent, especially for those, who like me, have younger kids at home. It doesn't punish you for touching the side of the track, which makes it easier for everyone to play together. The characters were fun and the courses were probably a bit too long, but the short-cuts and helpers (mine cart, rhino, dolphin) make for a good challenge. Frame rate has some issues on the water level, which hurts the multiplayer experience. Overall, I think it is a very solid family game, but certainly not a gamer's game. Since most of the "professional reviewers" are gamers and not family people, it's worth getting a different angle. For the right group, like my family, it's a game we sunk a fun 20 hours into over the week I rented it. Expand
  7. cin
    Oct 22, 2007
    Pretty fun, easy to get started.
  8. AlexandreB.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Not Good, but not bad, it'S an okay game. I had fun with this game but.. that's it.

#67 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#44 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. games(TM)
    Despite all of its problems, you’ll almost certainly have a great deal of fun playing Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race. [JPN Import; Sept 2007, p.118]
  2. Nintendo Gamer
    A game so bad, it brings shame upon Donkey Kong and his entire family. [JPN Import; Oct 2007, p.60]
  3. Nintendo Power
    To Barrel Blast's credit, it looks like there was a concerted effort to make the game look better--a smooth frame rate and some nice effects spruce up an otherwise mundane racer. [Nov 2007, p.99]