Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii

8.6

1. Nov 29, 2010
    Another very good Wii game I've bought recently. I agree with some that sngle player is better than 2 player, but 2 player is still a lot of fun and gets a laugh out of me and my buddies. What I like most besides the cherry gaming itself is that the game has a very retro feel while retaining the good qualities that make today's games what they are. This is a really good mix of modern styleAnother very good Wii game I've bought recently. I agree with some that sngle player is better than 2 player, but 2 player is still a lot of fun and gets a laugh out of me and my buddies. What I like most besides the cherry gaming itself is that the game has a very retro feel while retaining the good qualities that make today's games what they are. This is a really good mix of modern style gaming and old, fun, throwback gaming. If you have kids you can give them a taste of what you played yesterday. Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2010
    Put all your fears to rest, Retro Studios has outdone Rare and created the best 2D platformer of this generation (on ANY platform).. Tight controls, beautiful graphics and sound, replay value to spare, and over 71 levels. Just wow. If you liked the previous DKC games you'll love this, and even if you didn't you might still love this game. It's even better than the original trilogy. Perfect game.
  3. Dec 2, 2010
    The word that comes to mind while playing this new DK is 'generic'. The graphics are bland and look like some cheap fan-made game, the music is uninspired knockoff of tunes from the SNES games, and the level design is boring. The game is too slow, a bit laggy, and the motion controls assigned to rolling DK is a pain to deal with and will get you killed a ridiculous amount of times. JustThe word that comes to mind while playing this new DK is 'generic'. The graphics are bland and look like some cheap fan-made game, the music is uninspired knockoff of tunes from the SNES games, and the level design is boring. The game is too slow, a bit laggy, and the motion controls assigned to rolling DK is a pain to deal with and will get you killed a ridiculous amount of times. Just like NSMB and Punch-Out for the Wii before it, this game is inferior to the SNES originals. You'd be best off just selling your Wii and buying a SNES and the original games for $5-10 each. That's what I'm going to do. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    Retro Studios has delivered an awesome title with DKCR. The level of polish is outstanding. This game is fun and challenging. It is worth buying a Wii for. I simply love it and I can't find any flaws. Fans of this series: It's On Like Donkey Kong AGAIN!!
  5. Dec 11, 2010
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is a challenging 2D platformer by Retro Studios. Unlike their Metroid Prime series this DKC title doesn't go in a completely different direction. The gameplay is very truthful to the original with some minor tweaks and the overall design also feels very similar.

My biggest complaint with this game is that the music team didn't take any risks. What's so great about the original Rare games is that each game had a completely original soundtrack. Retro went the easy route and almost all the music is recycled. The music is great but only because it was already great fifteen years ago. I wish they could have hired David Wise again to compose an original soundtrack that would surprise us just like DKC2 did.

I have other minor complaints, like how the game has less content than the other games. The secret world is not that special, there are less KONGS and less animal buddies. Still, the platforming is some of the best you'll find on Wii and the game is challenging, but not brutal. This is not the best game in the Donkey Kong Country series but it is a great addition to the series.
  6. Jan 9, 2011
    Other companies can keep making fancy 3D shoot-em-ups all they want. I will stick to the great 2D versions of Nintendo's best. And Donkey Kong Country Returns uses the best technology has to offer and keeps is 2D-real! The levels are fast, funny and goofy. Just pure Donkey Kong fun! Could it have been made to accommodate a 360-degree world, sure, but why? The characters moveOther companies can keep making fancy 3D shoot-em-ups all they want. I will stick to the great 2D versions of Nintendo's best. And Donkey Kong Country Returns uses the best technology has to offer and keeps is 2D-real! The levels are fast, funny and goofy. Just pure Donkey Kong fun! Could it have been made to accommodate a 360-degree world, sure, but why? The characters move fluidly, the levels are accomplish able without being too simple and it's not so frustrating that you just want to turn it off and stop playing. If you have any childhood memory of lifelong of Donkey's world, this game is not to be missed! Expand
  7. Nov 23, 2010
    I just started playing this last night! I absolutely love this game. Retro Studios has done an amazing job at what feels like a continuation of the SNES classics! I feel like a kid when I play this game! If you loved the original trilogy on the SNES, just get this game pronto!
  8. Nov 23, 2010
    I didn't like having to shake the Wii remote to roll. It made sense for all the other actions it was assigned to but trying to roll on command proved very unreliable. I never knew if I was shaking the Wii remote hard enough until it was too late. If the game hadn't mapped the roll to shaking the Wii remote this game would have been an easy 10.
  9. Nov 25, 2010
    The levels are great and for a single player I agree with the reviews out there however I think more detail is needed for the 2 player experience.

I found that the life system is off balance between 1 and 2 players. For example, in single player mode If you have Diddy and you have all for hit points and jump into a pit you loose 1 life however in two player mode if you both fall in the

I found that the life system is off balance between 1 and 2 players.

For example, in single player mode If you have Diddy and you have all for hit points and jump into a pit you loose 1 life however in two player mode if you both fall in the pit and have the same number of hit point between you as single player then you loose 2 lives.

I would normally have no problem with the 2 lives each being lost however there are 2 main reasons why I have an issue.
    1) For each life you have a max of 2 hit points instead of 4.
    2) If you both die they respawn both of you for 2 lives instead of 1 person for 1 life.

My problem with the second is that there is usually a DK barrel next to the respawn point anyway so you could save a live each time. Also there is no need to force the second player to join when you can buy a DK barrel if you choose to.

There is an issue with buying a barrel too. If the second player is unable to get the barrel before it gets past the bottom of the screen that just cost you another life. That means that buying a barrel on forced side scrolling levels like the whale level is a waste of life with each time you call a barrel.

Now I expected to use a lot of lives in this game however I had my Sister over yesterday and we went through all my stock piled lives more then twice as fast then if I had of used them on my own.

You will go through lives fast in this game and if you have a stock pile in your own profile then you may want to reconsider having a friend join you. We went through over 100 lives in about 2 hours.

Play alone.
  10. Jan 19, 2011
    It is a very fun game. It is a very difficult game. I don't think there is any way I am going to complete this game 100%. There are a few levels in which I think I lost like 40 or 50 lives trying to beat a level. It requires some patience but the reward is satisfying. Not as good as the first installments on Super, but it comes very close. A very similar game to New Super Mario Bros.It is a very fun game. It is a very difficult game. I don't think there is any way I am going to complete this game 100%. There are a few levels in which I think I lost like 40 or 50 lives trying to beat a level. It requires some patience but the reward is satisfying. Not as good as the first installments on Super, but it comes very close. A very similar game to New Super Mario Bros. for Wii. Solid. Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2012
    A high quality platformer, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a must-have for fans of the genre. It is not a perfect game, but it is a very good one. It is also the most difficult full-retail 2D platformer to come out since the 16 bit era, so if you don't LIKE hard games, you really won't like this game past the first few worlds - the difficulty increases significantly.

The game's graphics

The game's graphics are very pretty and it makes excellent use of color; the game feels very vibrant and the levels have flavorful and attractive graphical design. The enemies too look cool and you are never left feeling confused - the enemies' appearances are very intuitive.

In addition to the standard rolling that is present in all Donkey Kong Country games, as well as the ground pound move from the very first Donkey Kong Country game, this game also incorporates a new blowing mechanic; while ostensibly very similar to pounding the ground, it allows for a few interesting interactions with the environment as well as a few enemies who are on fire who you can blow out in order to attack (or even to kill them outright in the case of a few enemies). Unlike previous Donkey Kong Country games, in DKCR you are always DK and you have two hit points, with Diddy coming out of barrels to give you another 2 hit points and cling to your back, giving you a rocket boost hover and allowing you to move around stages more quickly while rolling.

As with all DKC games there are two kinds of collectables; in this game, there are puzzle pieces and KONG letters, and unlike in previous games the KONG letters are for unlocking stages rather than mere extra lives.

The game has a time trial mode built into it as well, so if you enjoy that sort of thing it is available, and if you don't, you don't miss out on any content for ignoring the mode.

It does have its flaws, however:

1) In time trial mode, when you die before the first checkpoint, rather than resetting the level automatically it restarts you at the start of the level with elapsed time on the clock. This is pointless and stupid, as you might as well restart the level at 0:00 at that point - and you do. Repeatedly.

2) Using the waggle to roll and pound is annoying. You get used to it after a while, but every once in a while the controls will kill you and it will annoy you considerably.

3) A few of the levels have frustrating elements in their level design which create "fake difficulty". A good example is the final boss; there is a long rocket section prior to the final boss, but once you reach him, if you die, you do not have Diddy Kong, your fathful sidekick (and two extra hit points, and hover jumps). You want him again? You have to replay the rocket level (which is tedious). You can beat him without Diddy, but it is unnecessarily made harder to do.

4) There are still lives in this game, but they are incredibly pointless. You can easily max out your lives, and you can buy more lives if you really feel like you need to. Oftentimes, dying before some areas will actually increase your stock count due to collecting extra life balloons plus bananas, making gaining infinite lives trivial. Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, there is absolutely no reason for lives to still be in the game.
  12. Nov 21, 2010
    Retro Studios did a great job, they knew what fan wanted. The game is simply fantastic. Taking back 2d style is just beautiful, easy to control, the music make you feel the pleasure of the other DKC game. A new coop mode to play with your friend, lot of level to complete many thing to collect many hour of fun to spend. Perfect.
  13. Nov 21, 2010
    An example of returning to 2D and doling it RIGHT unlike some other titles! *cough*sonic 4*cough*
    even with the Wii remote shaking the controls are tight and very responsive. the levels are beautifully designed and Cranky's shops are very funny.

great old-school style platforming!
  14. Nov 22, 2010
    come on metacritic dats not the correct score do ur calculation again it suppose 2 get a 9.0 average :'(. anyways DKCR is a marvelous accomplishment. retro studios done a great job of revampin the series and man does it rock. anybody who wants a challenge n fun n where both hits the sweet spot this game nails them both this game is the reason Y nintendo is still the 1# video game developer.
  15. Nov 22, 2010
    It's just like the old DKC games but even better! Retro did a great job with the level design and the music remake. Although shaking the remote to roll gets a little annoying at times but overall the game is amazing

Level design 10/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Music 9/10
    Difficulty 9/10
    Fun 11/10
  16. Nov 22, 2010
    Nintendo has another great hit on there hands, As we all know Nintendo has a thing of remaking older classic games, some of them have failed while others have passed, This is one of them that has Passed, first off the graphics while Nintendo may not have the best graphics this game has great 2d graphics the colors are vibrant rich and smooth, that it makes you feel like you are part ofNintendo has another great hit on there hands, As we all know Nintendo has a thing of remaking older classic games, some of them have failed while others have passed, This is one of them that has Passed, first off the graphics while Nintendo may not have the best graphics this game has great 2d graphics the colors are vibrant rich and smooth, that it makes you feel like you are part of the game. The Controls are spot on and work well with the shaking the controller for parts in the game were it is needed , the button layout is nice also works well for the style of game this is, Only complaint i have sofar, is no Classic Controller Support, i felt that this game should have had that classic support to make this game feel even more classic.. Now on to game play, So many Pros , First the game plays so smooth no slow down or choppy graphics if to many things going on during game play, They have made Return have the same elements as the 64, but also added new things to mix it up and not make it seem likes its just another remake, they have slamming the ground to make floors roll over to reveal things underneath, they also have slamming certain objects over and over and or shaking the controller to make things break in the back round to make them become part fo the game and it throws you in the back and you can play back there with out you being zoomed in on.. gives that nice feel of distance, of course Diddy is in the game also. hen he is on DK back there is a jet pack on his back to help you jump it don't last long just small spurts of boost so you are not flying but does help make some jumps easier, this is what Nintendo does best make great 2d games.. and i hope they continue to do it, yes this is a short review right now but will add more as i get further in the game and also beat the game.. but just from what i have played right now., this is a game that every wii owner needs to have, and will make a great gift for under the tree as this is a game anyone in the family can enjoy.... young or old...

Thanks Monster (Ken)
  17. Jun 22, 2011
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about it. Graphics: Low Polygon count is trumped by excellent art direction.
    Story: What story?
    Sound: Beautiful soundtrack Design: one of the most demanding platformers you will ever play, also one of the most rewarding. Multiplayer: Frustrating, but immensely fun All in all: if you own a Wii and are a gamer, buy
    Story: What story?
    Sound: Beautiful soundtrack

All in all: if you own a Wii and are a gamer, buy this game.
  18. Nov 24, 2010
    Being a big fan of the original trilogy on the SNES, I feared that Retro would destroy my childhood. Fortunately they've done an excellent job. The level design is interesting, challenging and lots of fun. This is one of my games of the year.
  19. Nov 25, 2010
    For the most part, Retro's take on Donkey Kong is a joy to play. Any fans of the original SNES titles will be able to jump in from the get-go. The game looks and feels like its classic predecessors and serves as a reminder of how classic game design is timeless. Unfortunately, there are some instances when the motion controls feel a little forced. This affects the experience, but in no wayFor the most part, Retro's take on Donkey Kong is a joy to play. Any fans of the original SNES titles will be able to jump in from the get-go. The game looks and feels like its classic predecessors and serves as a reminder of how classic game design is timeless. Unfortunately, there are some instances when the motion controls feel a little forced. This affects the experience, but in no way renders DKCR unplayable. Expand
  20. Dec 2, 2010
    I was hesitant to learn of this game and play it, but I'm glad I did play the game. This game truly captures the platform concept done well and above all has everything you will love. As a Christmas gift or just a game to spend your money on you can't go wrong picking up this title. Having playing this game makes me reminisce my childhood of playing the three country games for the SuperI was hesitant to learn of this game and play it, but I'm glad I did play the game. This game truly captures the platform concept done well and above all has everything you will love. As a Christmas gift or just a game to spend your money on you can't go wrong picking up this title. Having playing this game makes me reminisce my childhood of playing the three country games for the Super Nintendo, and what a good feeling it was of the fond memories remembering. This game is challenging for sure, but what seeks hold of you is the impressive levels and lots of content to unlock. Glad to see Retro Studios and Nintendo knowing what exactly the Country needs. Praise aside, the only downfall I see and what made me bit disappointed was the absence of the Kremling enemies. In conclusion, I'd definitely would say this is a solid platformer and a worthy purchase title. Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2010
    Don't listen to johnnynumber, like you can see he's the only one who gave a 0 to the game because he just probably sucks hard on it. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge achievement and a 2D masterpiece from Retro Studios. Nintendo must be proud of seeing this little company doing wonders like Rare did once upon a time. Brilliant gameplay and level design, fluid animation, very goodDon't listen to johnnynumber, like you can see he's the only one who gave a 0 to the game because he just probably sucks hard on it. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a huge achievement and a 2D masterpiece from Retro Studios. Nintendo must be proud of seeing this little company doing wonders like Rare did once upon a time. Brilliant gameplay and level design, fluid animation, very good remixes and some jewels in the new soundtrack, big replay value and tons of collectibles! What to ask more from a DKC game! And it's hard as hell! But unlike johnnynumber, I have skills and didn't use the Super Guide on every level ;) Expand
  22. Nov 29, 2010
    i love this game it is great! worth every penny! great looks great gameplay, hard but far from impossible! if your a dkc fan this game holds up to your expectations and exeeds them! johnynumber5 is just a hater, i bet you he did not even play the game, because he said all oppositie from what everyone says (including me)
    all in all its a great game!
  23. Dec 1, 2010
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is a highly enjoyable platformer created with excellent craftsmanship from Retro Studios, the makers of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The level design is incredibly well done creating an immense challenge for players in certain stages. The controls are tight with the exception of an incredible amount of waggle require to stomp and blow out items like candles andDonkey Kong Country Returns is a highly enjoyable platformer created with excellent craftsmanship from Retro Studios, the makers of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. The level design is incredibly well done creating an immense challenge for players in certain stages. The controls are tight with the exception of an incredible amount of waggle require to stomp and blow out items like candles and dandelions. It's unfortunate that Diddy Kong is unplayable in the single player mode, but his addition is similar to the mushroom/yoshi in the Mario series. Some of the enemies are uninspired and leave me nostalgic for the crocs and animal enemies from the SNES entries. Over all, DKCR is a highly enjoyable Nintendo game, but seems a bit less inspired than the recent Kirby's Epic Yarn. Expand
  24. Eyo
    Dec 2, 2010
    deathsmiles
    You are a moron. Please go back and pwn some n00bs in your generic, cookiecutter, bloodspattering, headshot awarding FPS with the rest of your teenage buddies
  25. Dec 4, 2010
    A great example of how all side - scrolling platformers should be. Awesome level design with beautifully detailed environments and an amazing soundtrack. Maybe Retro Studios is the new Rare.
  26. Dec 4, 2010
    This is a superbly fun game buy it right away fun buy it right away! It had me blown away buy it's super personality and incredibly fun and amazing level design
  27. Dec 6, 2010
    This is game is addictive, lots of fun, and really hard at times. The graphics are great. Two player is sometimes more difficult than single player. When this is the case, I sign out and let my son beat the level -to save lives- or I have Diddy Kong hop on Kong's back. The difficulty reminds me of donkey kong on my Colecovision as a kid. We're on world 7. Level design is incredible.
  28. Jan 2, 2011
    I loved the original Donkey Kong Country series on SNES and I felt very pleased this weekend by playing the new DK game no my Wii. The look and feel are the same, the playability is gorgeous and the real 3D of the Wii engine offers a polished graphic environment. The challenges are well balanced and the game is great.
  29. Jan 8, 2011
    I loved the original Donkey Kong Country series of games. Donkey Kong Country is the first video game I ever played, and this was in 2003. Don't **** You know it's awesome. Donkey Kong Country Returns is everything I loved about the original trilogy, fixing up its errors and pushing it much further. It has the original Jungle levels, mine carts, barrels, Rambi, hidden bonus levels and theI loved the original Donkey Kong Country series of games. Donkey Kong Country is the first video game I ever played, and this was in 2003. Don't **** You know it's awesome. Donkey Kong Country Returns is everything I loved about the original trilogy, fixing up its errors and pushing it much further. It has the original Jungle levels, mine carts, barrels, Rambi, hidden bonus levels and the classic music which has luckily not been messed around with and there's more than that. However, it pushes the game even further like one level where you have to take cover behind rocks and shipwrecks to avoid a big tidal wave crashing through, there's two (ore more) levels which take place in jazzy silhouette mode, which is utterly gorgeous, there's a few levels where you have to complete the level in a jet powered barrel and you can blast into the background in this game, adding to the variety in this game. The game is as hard as hell but very rewarding. The graphics are some of the best in gaming history. Just amazing. Of course, nobody's perfect. The enemies In DKCR are not as cool as the kremlings but are still cool. There are no water levels in this game, which I dearly miss. Normally water levels are absolutely hairy bollocks and I hate them, but DCKR is one of those sole game where they're actually good. Lastly, the controls are still a waggle-fest. To roll, you waggle. To blow out fire, you waggle. To ground pound, you waggle, which you will be doing a lot of. Also, there are lag in the controls and Donkey Kong sometimes doesn't jump when you want him to, or sometime he won't jump at all. Apart from those niggles, you will love this game. If you're heavily nostalgic or just want a platforming game, this won't let you down. Oh, and here's a 9. Expand

#4 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#5 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Mar 17, 2011
    It looks and sounds wonderful, it feels great when you play it, it's tons of fun and full of surprises.
  2. Feb 25, 2011
    Fans of classic 2D games, or the original DKC games, owe it to themselves to pick up this amazing return to the franchise. The difficulty is the one area that may throw some gamers for a loop, but with the ability to let the game play itself it becomes a non-issue.
  3. Feb 16, 2011
    In the end Donkey Kong Country Returns is, in my opinion, a long awaited return to a franchise that needed updating. Fear not, DK fans, this title is for you.