• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Dec 12, 2006
  • Also On: PC
5.4

1. Dec 16, 2014
    Before I even start reviewing the game, a word of advice - don't approach it without a CRT TV set. If you ask me, I've played it on a relatively small one - textures are smooth and sharp. The graphics are almost on par with the original Far Cry (FC). Sure, they cut some corners due to the hardware limitations; by way of example, the birds, boars and seaweed are gone. Sure, it's notBefore I even start reviewing the game, a word of advice - don't approach it without a CRT TV set. If you ask me, I've played it on a relatively small one - textures are smooth and sharp. The graphics are almost on par with the original Far Cry (FC). Sure, they cut some corners due to the hardware limitations; by way of example, the birds, boars and seaweed are gone. Sure, it's not high-end graphics we're talking here. But it ain't close to being the eyesore it, certainly, is when you plug your Wii to a plasma screen, which is how, I assume, the vast majority of this game's reviewers have had the misfortune to experience it. Even the notorious cutscenes are palatable. I dare you to compare the game on two different types of TV screen. In the graphics department, Far Cry Vengeance (FCV) is anything but repelling, provided that you use monitors the original Wii was designed for.

I can't help but notice that FCV has fallen to some unfounded hate campaign. And I feel like it's my obligation come to its defence. It won't win in any game-of-the-year stakes but I wouldn't be so black and white about it being such a dismal failure as it is believed to be.

To begin with, FCV gives you more freedom than any modern-day shooter, e.g. Call of Duty. At times, it presents a considerable challenge; the maps are big enough to get lost and if you don't have your radar on (at the highest difficulty setting), you are bound to lose your bearings. The environments may be somewhat repetitive, even empty, save for respawning NPCs. It may feel like some locations are there to fill the gaps. Even so, it suffices to have you seek different solutions to the missions you are sent on. When played in the hardest mode, FCV is a game that won't lead you by the hand. The very magnitude of the in-game surroundings already makes it hardcocre. That being said, the fact remains that there's little incentive to explore them beyond the very fun of poking your nose in every nook and cranny.

In all likelihood, it's gonna take some eyewash, so brace yourself. The enemy AI, although it leaves much to be desired, is not entirely mutilated and presents some challenge, as does finding your way through the maps. I suggest completing all the nine chapters before you share your opinion of the AI and express your reservations whether it will get you killed or not. Because the truth of the matter is it will, and many a time. The difficulty becomes increases as you progress. Every shot becomes more and more accurate. To the point when you feel it's downright unfair. This especially applies to snipers, who, more often than not, make me wanna toss my Wii mote and, sometimes, get me doing it. Sure, the NPCs you come across are not the sharpest tools, and you're more than likely to catch them off guard wandering instead of attacking you but the reports they won't put up any fight throughout the game or that they're shooting blanks, can't aim at you whatsoever are greatly exaggerated. Sometimes, there's no running and gunning without any tactics. Otherwise, they'll plug you easily.

All of the above is not to say that the FCV is flawless. At the end of the day, it is a generic first person shooter with ineptly scattered checkpoints, decent soundtrack (which could use saving for a better game), and a couple of tried-and-tested mechanics which, then again, are better executed in a bunch of other games, the original FC included. The dots were all there but the devs could not connect them like they should have. Raised hopes, failed expectations but don't let that prevent you from giving the game some credit when it's due. Having complted FCV I know one thing for sure, this game begs a remake.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    A painful compilation of bad controls, abysmally stupid enemy AI, and awful graphics. Far Cry Vengeance barely delivers what most people would consider a "finished game".
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Hate this game. Worst game that has ever eked its way into my brain. Graphics: terrible, Gameplay: unrealistically terrible, story: equivalent to a pile of vomit behind a couch.

The presentation – everything from the dozens of graphics shortcomings to the sometimes broken AI logic – is just too sloppy and too rushed in this quick-and-dirty Wii incarnation of the classic franchise. A fundamentally solid shooter is hiding somewhere underneath, but good luck finding it between the blurry textures and the sluggish framerate.
  2. The Far Cry series is built largely upon its ability to absorb you in its sun-drenched vistas; subtract that high level of immersion, and you're left with an otherwise unremarkable first-person shooter. [Feb. 2007, p.93]
    The real problem here is the complete disregard for performance. The frame rate drops so frequently that the game is nearly rendered completely unplayable. I can't even imagine how this got through a certification phase prior to release.