8.8

1. vgb
    Oct 27, 2010
    For me, this is the defining Wii game, and one of the great games of the last 5 years. Everyone comments on the charm and I have to, too - it's filled with charm. It creates such a world that you will do any task the game asks of you just to stay in it for one more hour. And then another hour. And then some more. I am often amazed at ingenuity in games, but rarely feel like I really, really like the people who made the game, as is the case with Little King's Story. World class product. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    This charming, rewarding, deep, funny and simply awesome game offers top strategy and some of the best music on the Wii. With classical remixes, wonderful enemy design and some nice, bright graphics. Few games offer such a memorable experience, one of the best Wii games ever, and truly essential.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    To be honest, when I first saw the game cover and the game pictures on the Internet, I thought "Wow, this childish game must suck". Well, that was one of the biggest mistakes I made in my entire life. Little King's Story indeed looks childish, but if you think you're going to play a game where there's no action, no story, and especially with no fun, you're wrong as well.

Little King's
    Story is perhaps one of the best indie games I've played in years. It's fun, it motivates you to keep on making upgrades and EXPLORING. And damn, this is a full meal for people who love exploring maps, discovering secrets, collecting items, making new units, completing missions...

Yes, sometimes it gets repetitive, but it's all about how well you play. If you don't play very well, you'll need to keep on doing the same actions to get money do buy upgrades. If you really know how to use your units, you'll be able to do so without grinding.

It's a game that somewhat requires you to take a peek at walkthroughs since there are lots of parts where you'll find yourself lost or in need of help, but that doesn't makes the game less worthy of a 10.

Even though some people may disagree with me, this game is, in my opinion, the best video-game available on the Nintendo Wii... But it's a shame for the other consoles to miss a game this great. This is a genuine hidden diamond found among the discount bin. A long, extremely fun adventure into a fantasy world which anyone who has a Wii needs to play, and even a reason for other people to buy one.
  4. Jun 1, 2011
    Little King's Story, if you liked the style of the original Harvest Moons, and enjoyed Pikmin or Overlord, then you'll like this game. While it does have a cutesy exterior the game is pretty tough. Taking RPG, Strategy, Adventure elements and combining them into one game. Developers Cing (makers of Hotel Dusk, and quickly becoming my favorite new developer) and Town House do an amazing job.
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    Little King's Story is the sort of game that is rarely released on a Nintendo console. This is a third party game which is just as good as the best Nintendo games on the console. The story is a funny plot, typical of a good RPG, and the games hero has the potential to become a star of Nintendo gaming. The game can be described as a mixture of the gameplay of the Pikmin games in the world of the Animal Crossing series, along with some of the best graphics on the console. Little King's Story has a charming soundtrack which was made by the same people who compose the music for Kingdom Hearts games. You can notice this throughout the endless hours you can find yourself immersed in this essential game. I can't begin to tell you how good this game is, and a sequel would be a perfect fit for the Wii U. If you have a Wii, buy this game. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    The more serious gamer has been treated poorly by Nintendo when it comes to the Wii console with a seemingly endless stream of dull mini-game collections and licensed drivel. Once in a while however loyal fans have been rewarded with games such as Super Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wiki which provide something not seen on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. I can safely say that, with the exception of the two Mario Galaxy games, Little Kings Story is the best of the lot.

Little Kings Story is not an easy game to categorise. The closest comparison is probably the two Pikmin titles but by also mixing in elements from RPGs, strategy games and town building sims it truly is something fairly unique. The story itself is fairly simple, the player taking on the role of a young boy who falls into a mysterious world and soon finds himself declared king. Unable to fight yourself the player is able to take control of a set number of villagers in the same manner as the Pikmin titles. These villagers can be lead freely around the large game world to defeat enemies and collect treasure. The income generated from this treasure hunting can be used to improve your kingdom and as the game develops villagers can be trained in a number of skills including combat, farming, carpentry and mining. Balancing the villagers you take with you is vital when traversing the kingdom as each have their own unique abilities, carpenters for example are the only ones who can build bridges to cross rivers. An extra challenge is also provided by enemies known as guardians as well as by other kings hoping to stop your world domination. Simply throwing as many soldiers as possible at the enemy rarely leads to success and the player must quickly weigh up the situation before deciding on which villager types and tactics to use.

Interestingly Little King's Story doesn't actually make any use of the Wii's motion controls but while many reviews have commented on the difficulty of selecting and commanding villagers I found that it only took a little practice to get used to the controls. The graphics, whilst perhaps not as crisp as they could be, are also colourful and vibrant helping to create an interesting game world.

In fact there are very few criticisms I can level at the game and they are all so minor that they easy to overlook in a game provides well over twenty-five hours of deep and rewarding gameplay that, much like the Mario Galaxy games, offers new ideas from start to finish.
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    Wow, what a beautiful surprise that I got with this game! Nice graphics, really original, the game makes you think and gives your the feeling that you game is unique. You will need more than 50 hours to complete it and it will be really worthy. Pretty and funny, but not easy at all. It is a pity that this game has not it´s own saga, but maybe is better like this, because the game is unique.
  8. LeeT
    Jul 26, 2009
    This is a very fun game. While it does start out boring, there is a lot of strategy at play here. You will have to learn the various bosses' attack patterns and weaknesses to win. There are plenty of different classes (14 according to the back of the box, though I haven't gotten that far), and every one of them is useful for progression in some way. I've played about 7 hours of it and thoroughly enjoy everything it offers. Collapse

1. Funny, exciting, intelligent, weird and rewarding. This is what happens when great minds dare to be different. [May 2009, p.42]
  2. Every moment feels like it's been lavished with attention; Little King's Story is as rich as it is long, and it's a very lengthy game indeed. [May 2009, p.90]
  3. Funny, charming and a real meaty challenge, there's nothing else like it on Wii. [May 2009, p.81]