Mario Kart Wii Wii

8.3

1. Jul 5, 2011
    Mario Kart Wii is one of the best racing games around. That said, I feel it is overrated. It's awesome, but Mario Kart Wii just relies too much on pure LUCK. The items are pure luck, and are not even balanced. A person in last place could go straight up into the Top 3 with a Bullet Bill. And don't even get me started on that SPINY SHELL! My sister plays this game a lot, and, more thanMario Kart Wii is one of the best racing games around. That said, I feel it is overrated. It's awesome, but Mario Kart Wii just relies too much on pure LUCK. The items are pure luck, and are not even balanced. A person in last place could go straight up into the Top 3 with a Bullet Bill. And don't even get me started on that SPINY SHELL! My sister plays this game a lot, and, more than once, she was hit by 5+ items in a row just as she was about to win. Once, she was hit by a Spiny Shell, then a Red Shell, then another Spiny, then another Red Shell, then a Green Shell. So ridiculously ANNOYING! Luckily, Time Trials exist. In this mode, you can play on your own with no opponents, no item boxes, and 3 Mushrooms at the start. Multiplayer mode was nice, but it needed far more modes. Wi-Fi, too. The only thing that I still play Mario Kart Wii to do is race Time Trial ghosts. That was fun. So, in conclusion, this is a great game to get if you have friends who would be willing to play with you, because multiplayer is the reason to buy this game, and Time Trials is also great, but don't expect much more than that other than loads of frustration. Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2012
    The wii wheel and the strong multiplayer presence make this game a good purchase. There's lots to unlock and many courses (although many are quite basic looking). The mario kart channel is also very good.

However the reason I gave this game a low-ish score is because racing games should reward you for being a good racer. The problem with Mario Kart is that there are far too many random events that can determine the outcome of a race. Items are very unbalanced - the rocket can put you from last place to first place in half a lap and of course there's the dreaded "blue shell". In so many races I can built up a strong lead only to be hit by a blue shell, followed by a "pow", that both end up knocking me off the course. The recovery times are also very long as well. It's rather frustrating to lose a race for no other reason that you were unlucky. There should be a mode where you can disable items entirely or reduce the recovery time. Then the best racer would win, rather than the luckiest.
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    This is definitely the pinnacle of the Mario Kart series and the best game for Wii, thanks to the highly satisfying online mode which CAN provide countless hours of replay value. HOWEVER, this enjoyment is hampered considerably due to the ever increasing amount of cheaters using hacked consoles to give themselves constant invincibility, infinite blue shells and other unfair advantages.This is definitely the pinnacle of the Mario Kart series and the best game for Wii, thanks to the highly satisfying online mode which CAN provide countless hours of replay value. HOWEVER, this enjoyment is hampered considerably due to the ever increasing amount of cheaters using hacked consoles to give themselves constant invincibility, infinite blue shells and other unfair advantages. For every 10 games played online, I would estimate you will encounter at LEAST 3 or 4 games with such cheaters. This was not a frequent occurrence when the game was initially released, but over time, and with Nintendo's proven unwillingness to address the issue, it has become a common annoyance which ruins the experience.

Aside from the online play, the addition of motorbikes is the most visible addition to the series, and have become quite popular since, more often than not, they are faster than the karts the game is named for. Regardless, the choice between the two vehicle types adds nice variety and good challenge for the underdogs using the classic go karts.

Lastly I should mention that while there are about 20 tracks, several of these are from previous games in the series making things seem not so original. A couple extra new courses would have gone a long way to keep things from getting stale over time.

Apart from these issues, the game offers an exciting racing experience which everyone can enjoy. The question however is "for how long?"
  4. ChaceS
    Jan 31, 2010
    This game is very enjoyable, but I don't think it's 10/10 material. I hate the battle mode. Why on earth do they make you play with CPUs on teams? They should have included the option to do battle mode like in MK:DD and MK64. The new levels are fun. However, I think some are too cluttered. Many levels from Double Dash I would consider to be better than some from MKwii. It's This game is very enjoyable, but I don't think it's 10/10 material. I hate the battle mode. Why on earth do they make you play with CPUs on teams? They should have included the option to do battle mode like in MK:DD and MK64. The new levels are fun. However, I think some are too cluttered. Many levels from Double Dash I would consider to be better than some from MKwii. It's still a good game, though. Expand
  5. Feb 29, 2012
    This is a weird game.
    Very good in some respects, and very bad in others.
    The good points: -The time trial mode is AWESOME. Every aspect of this mode is near perfect. This is by far one of the best features of the game. -On VS mode in two player, when you turn off the items and the AI players, it is a very enjoyable racing game. -On VS mode in two player, with balanced items and no
    This is a weird game.
    Very good in some respects, and very bad in others.
    The good points:
    -On VS mode in two player, with balanced items and no AI, it is very like the N64 version for game play, which is great.
    -The characters are awesome, and the addition of the bikes takes it a step forward. (Although after playing for a while you start to realize that it should be called Mario Bike, because there isn't much point to using the karts after realizing how much better the bikes are.)
    -Some of the new levels are really fun to play.

Now for the negatives
    -Grand Prix is a huge let down. After realizing that the wheel contoller syley is a hinderance instead of a help, and switching to the controller/numchuck configuration, 50cc is way too easy. The rubber band AI in 150cc is so over the top that it's not really worth playing 150cc cups unless you want to unlock characters/carts/bikes/mirror mode. 100cc came close to being fun, but didn't quite balance out right.
    -The reliance of over-powered items (espically in 150cc) rather than making the AI better racers.
    -The wheel controller style is very inaccurate and annoying to use.
    -Battle mode isn't worth playing
    -No 2 player Grand Prix
    -This is way too much of a luck game. I could understand having multiplayer purely casual (or as I would like to have seen, a way to change the setting between casual and hardcore style gaming) but making the solo player grand prix mode the way it is makes no sense to me. The overpowered items, the terrible rubber band AI, the addition of 4 more racers to throw things at you, the fact that 9 times out of 10 all 12 racers finish the race within 3-5 seconds of each other so when you get hit with 3 red shells, 2 blue shells, and a pow block right at the end, you go from 1st to 11th, and just the simple fact that you can't go a tenth of a lap without getting hit with something make it very unenjoyable to play.
    -Overall the game felt lazy too me. It seems as though they relied on the gimick of the wheel controller and the new items to sell the game, and in the process got very sloppy with the actual gameplay.

So overall, I feel that this game had tons of potential, but unfortunatly a lot of it was wasted. While there were definatly some very strong points (mainly the time trial mode as I mentioned) overall it was a very underwhelming game given what we have come to expect in the Mario Kart franchise.
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    Yes, this is a fantastic game. BUT, also a very rigged game at the same time. I can't help but notice that all the computer characters are stronger than my own player. Example: if they barley hit me from behind I seem to fling off the track and loose control, if I were to hit a computer player side on hard they would barley move!!! I do love this game but it does need a lot of improvements :)
  7. Dec 28, 2013
    Those blue shells...
    Those blue shells...
    Mario Kart Wii is a fun game that uses the Wii's motion control well to a certain extent. The race tracks are varied and colorful and offer plenty of death-defying jumps and game-changing turns. But, beneath the vibrant environments that Mario Kart has to offer, the experience as a whole is both short and shallow. Each track loses its spark after a race or two and there is just no reason to keep playing the campaign unless you are a completionist who needs to have every trophy in his possession. There is no clear advantage or disadvantage to any one racer, feeling like a wasted opportunity. In addition, no customization or skill points for one's Miis is a considerable letdown. But Mario Kart's worst offense is its perpetual frustration in regards to enemy AI. This game is one of those few titles that a player can deem "cruelly unfair." Once you go deeper into the game, the competitions no longer depend on skill or driving ability but how lucky you are in regards to the number of blue shells blowing up in your face. The last race I played before discarding Mario Kart for a long time had me in first place mere feet from the finish line. A string of three shells fired at me in rapid succession dropped me from a first place victory to a 10th place embarrassment, and serves as a lasting reminder of my experience with the game. Mario Kart Wii is hit or miss, but is guaranteed to frustrate even the most skilled of drivers. There are genuinely enjoyable co-op moments and a few incredible tracks, but the difficulty spike is just too infuriating to overcome.

Follow me on twitter. @cbeers2513
  8. OwenM
    May 6, 2008
    This game feels like it has no soul anymore. Winning races against CPU feels like luck. Online is kinda shoddy. It only works sometimes and can be fun but framerate suffers often.The feeling of speed is nowhere near Double Dash and the game overall feels like it was made to cater to new players, which is fine, but it won't be impressing any Mario Kart veterans.
  9. Mauriced.
    May 5, 2008
    If you're looking for a comment that is without unfair bias and unnecessary hatred toward the game for no reason, look no further. First of all, let me say I've been playing Mario Kart since it came out for SNES, although I admit the only other one I played was Mario Kart 64 (which to me, remains the best). The most annoying thing about Mario Kart Wii, by far, are the If you're looking for a comment that is without unfair bias and unnecessary hatred toward the game for no reason, look no further. First of all, let me say I've been playing Mario Kart since it came out for SNES, although I admit the only other one I played was Mario Kart 64 (which to me, remains the best). The most annoying thing about Mario Kart Wii, by far, are the babyish/childish voices. Good lord, they are annoying. Not only are they excessive, high-pitched, and embarrassing, they are not natural in the least bit. Just about the only characters who have remained true to what they're supposed to sound like are Mario, Luigi, and Koopa Troopa, with Peach and Bowser being "acceptable". All the other characters, including Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toad, etc sound odd and very childish. Why couldn't Nintendo included an option to turn off voice SFX and/or music like the previous Mario Karts? As for control, it can be somewhat difficult at times, as others have stated, but I believe with enough time spent in front of the TV, you'll eventually figure it out. The graphics are not as bad as many make it out to be - this is, after all, Nintendo. The items are fairly fun to use but can become very excessive - which leads me to my next point... The A.I., as others have stated before me, can be very unfair in the sense that you will be punished whether you are winning or not. This can happen via a blue shell as you're approaching the finish line in lap 3, or the fact that if ou lag behind far enough, pretty much no power-up (or series of power-ups) will save you. Couple this, with the fact that you can no longer "retry" races, and you've got yourself a hell of a hard time in getting gold cups in 100 and 150cc. Overall, a fun game, crippled with many, in my opinion, stupid oversights by Nintendo's part, with overzealousness in areas that should have stayed timid. Expand
  10. JacobR
    Nov 30, 2009
    Easily one of the most overrated games in recent memory- and I'm not a fanboy. I loved pretty much every first party title on the wii except for this. I guess I was spoiled by the amazing Mario Kart DS.
  11. RicB.
    Apr 18, 2008
    Someone must explain me one thing: How could they fucking think that having grand prix mode taked out of multiplayer wouldn't hurt the game? I can not think of any logical reason for this to happen. On top of that, local multiplayer fills the roster with AI players for up to 12 racers, with no possibly to just play with your friends. It's just unbelievable and very much stupid.
  12. Jan
    May 3, 2008
    Everyone goes nuts about online racing, giving the game 9 or even 10 out of 10 for a feature that is simple standard on other platforms. Than again even this people who use to like this game that much anger about bad balance, items and luck usage. For me who prefers offline gameing with friends and coop single player like in Double Dash, MK: Wii is a bit of a disappointment. Major Everyone goes nuts about online racing, giving the game 9 or even 10 out of 10 for a feature that is simple standard on other platforms. Than again even this people who use to like this game that much anger about bad balance, items and luck usage. For me who prefers offline gameing with friends and coop single player like in Double Dash, MK: Wii is a bit of a disappointment. Major features, items and options that just had to be ported from previous Mario Karts are totally missing. Where are the old items? Why are fun maps like Babypark missing? Why only one driver per car/bike and not haveing an option to allow 2 at least for offline gameing? Why is there no coop mode for singleplayer? The DVD isnt even dual layer, there was more than enough space to satisfy everyones wishes but Nintendo simply choosed not to. 6 out of 10 from me. Expand
  13. joecracker
    Jul 30, 2008
    This game is pretty good,but i have to admit that 150cc in waay too hard! one time i had stayed in 1'st place during a cup for a while,but then made one mistake and all the computers trampled me! this game is barely about skill anymore it's all plain luck to win.
    May 4, 2008
    Same....old.....game.... It's nice that 4 people can play without the GameCube dynamic where one person drives and the other person uses the weapons/power ups. However, I can't count the number of times I'd squeak into 1st place only to be instantly barraged with shells, POWs and lightning bolts that send me instantly back to 10th place. I'm also not impressed that Same....old.....game.... It's nice that 4 people can play without the GameCube dynamic where one person drives and the other person uses the weapons/power ups. However, I can't count the number of times I'd squeak into 1st place only to be instantly barraged with shells, POWs and lightning bolts that send me instantly back to 10th place. I'm also not impressed that every new version of Mario Kart concentrates on rehashing the same old tracks from previous versions. Still fun, but it's definately not fresh anymore. Expand
  15. NeilF.
    Apr 13, 2008
    I liked all the previous Mario Kart games. But this iteration is just terrible. They dumbed it down to a level where a hardcore pro gamer could easily be beat by a 3 year old with no skill. It really has just become a game of pure luck based on what item you get. My biggest fuss with this game though, is the audio. It has devolved from having a quality soundtrack in the older versions, to I liked all the previous Mario Kart games. But this iteration is just terrible. They dumbed it down to a level where a hardcore pro gamer could easily be beat by a 3 year old with no skill. It really has just become a game of pure luck based on what item you get. My biggest fuss with this game though, is the audio. It has devolved from having a quality soundtrack in the older versions, to a CONSTANT stream of "woohoo!, yeah! wahahah!" that can not be turned down. Thats right, there are no audio options that let you turn down the SFX, Music, or Voice volumes. Playing this game for more than an hour will make you want to just mute the TV because of the constant stream of the "woohoo!"s and "yaaha!"s. Just skip this purchase and play some Double Dash or something. Expand
  16. LynnB.
    Apr 22, 2008
    Not very challenging - got to credits within 2.5 hours
  17. Anonymous
    May 21, 2008
    This is certainly a strange one. Despite a fantastic online multiplayer and a wealth of modes, this is perhaps the least satisfying entry in the beloved Mario Kart series, because (in order to fit in with Nintendo
  18. ManoelQ
    Jun 11, 2008
    A game at the edge of horrible. It entertains you for quite a time: the tracks are really well done (New and old), the characters are incredible and the Mario Kart Channel and the Wi-Fi Connection options are great. However... "Mario Kart Wii" gets a bad score due the cheating: the CPUs always get items before you (Even if they are in a better position), those are better items, they A game at the edge of horrible. It entertains you for quite a time: the tracks are really well done (New and old), the characters are incredible and the Mario Kart Channel and the Wi-Fi Connection options are great. However... "Mario Kart Wii" gets a bad score due the cheating: the CPUs always get items before you (Even if they are in a better position), those are better items, they become really fast if you're far away from them on the Second Lap and the "Spiny Shell" is always haunting you on every Final Lap. Expand
  19. Mar 22, 2011
    the only other mario kart game ive played is the one on the DS which my neice had and i fiddled with it abit to see what it was like and thought it was ok and decided to see if the wii one was any good . actaully it is pretty fun but the randomness and lack of skill it takes to win gets frustrating when you are riding high in first place and next thing you know you get hit 6X in a row withthe only other mario kart game ive played is the one on the DS which my neice had and i fiddled with it abit to see what it was like and thought it was ok and decided to see if the wii one was any good . actaully it is pretty fun but the randomness and lack of skill it takes to win gets frustrating when you are riding high in first place and next thing you know you get hit 6X in a row with lightning , pows, green shells , red shells , ink and a bunch of other crap and pushes you all the way to near last . its not a skill based game one more of luck but it is fun and that being the most important thing . just dont think there is any type of balance to this game because balance and mario kart dont wana mix for some reason. Expand
  20. Jan 17, 2011
    I do like Mario Kart but to be honest, bikes do not add enough to the franchise to warrant this new release. Bikes allow you to have a mini-turbo but not a massive corner based turbo which is just a detail of a kart really.

I do like the retro cups and I realise it is a mainstay of the series but its a bit cheap rolling out the same tracks each iteration of the game too - though I liked Delfino Square so what are you gonna say?
  21. Nov 15, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game for the most part. It was refreshing playing a childish racer rather than a serious one. It is annoying though that you can go from first to last in the matter on seconds due to the ability for every racer to hit you with attacks on their way past you. this gets frustrating when it occurs multiple times in a row. id rate this game higher if that wasn't anI thoroughly enjoyed this game for the most part. It was refreshing playing a childish racer rather than a serious one. It is annoying though that you can go from first to last in the matter on seconds due to the ability for every racer to hit you with attacks on their way past you. this gets frustrating when it occurs multiple times in a row. id rate this game higher if that wasn't an inherit flaw in the game play. Expand
  22. Aug 28, 2011
    First of all, this is not a bad game, but not a classic either. The online play, while generally lag-free and varied, is far too mixed considering bikes are a lot better than karts and it just felt un-balanced. It's called Mario Kart for a reason. The game can be fun so long as you are playing fairly with 4 players around one screen, and for that it wins back a few points. Plus it sounds,First of all, this is not a bad game, but not a classic either. The online play, while generally lag-free and varied, is far too mixed considering bikes are a lot better than karts and it just felt un-balanced. It's called Mario Kart for a reason. The game can be fun so long as you are playing fairly with 4 players around one screen, and for that it wins back a few points. Plus it sounds, looks and feels lovely to play. Still falls short of classic status. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2011
    "Mario Kart Wii" is entertaining, but, as the DS version also suffered, it's not gonna last long. The wii handler is annoying as hell as well as the limited number of players that can play the game (seriously, only 2?). Get it for the kids.
  24. Oct 18, 2013
    Mario kart wii is another installment in the mariokart series This entry is a mixed game The downsides are that this game it's a luck game the CPU are cheap and skill no longer matters it's skill which it's a terrible thing The items/weapons are overused in a cheating way and this game just has unbalanced difficulty The good aspect is that the online is great and the controls are aMario kart wii is another installment in the mariokart series This entry is a mixed game The downsides are that this game it's a luck game the CPU are cheap and skill no longer matters it's skill which it's a terrible thing The items/weapons are overused in a cheating way and this game just has unbalanced difficulty The good aspect is that the online is great and the controls are a great way to play this game Expand
  25. Jul 7, 2014
    This game is fun, but when compared to the other console Mario Kart games, it feels dumbed down and annoying. The motion controls are horrific, but if you just want some simple, chaotic Mario Kart then you can't really go wrong.
  26. KevinR.
    Apr 29, 2008
    An average entry in the series. Despite its expanded roster of racers, it still feels like a distraction rather than a full game.
  27. JustinS
    May 4, 2008
    I really wish that i could rate this higher, but I would be lying to everyone who reads this. It honestly let me down it multiple ways. The game itself is fantastic but the biggest disappointment for me is taking out everyones one of a kind special move from double-dash. I know that it might not be a big deal but, it's what gave mario kart it's own unique style and I miss it.
  28. Sambo
    Apr 25, 2008
    It's an okay title that was never likely to live up to the hype. I didn't believe the hype, having disliked Double Dash. And my expectations for this game were low, including the online multiplayer. First up, the single player mode is same old same old. But to compound that problem the cups feature the same tracks, making it three times as dull to complete. The addition of bikes It's an okay title that was never likely to live up to the hype. I didn't believe the hype, having disliked Double Dash. And my expectations for this game were low, including the online multiplayer. First up, the single player mode is same old same old. But to compound that problem the cups feature the same tracks, making it three times as dull to complete. The addition of bikes is stupid and the 100cc bikes seem slower than their 50cc kart counterparts. After completing the 50cc cups you get a lengthy and unskippable credits sequence which seems odd when you're only one third the way through. As for multiplayer, in battle mode it's two teams of up to 6 versus each other in balloon mode or coin collecting. It's fun for the most part, but would be SO much better if it were free for all or four teams of three. Also, the lack of an ability to communicate properly with the people you are playing against means there is really little point to it all. The fun of mariokart was always about having a laugh with those you play with. Not being able to chat with your team mates means it's a very lonely existence still. Then there is the Wii wheel. It takes only one word to sum this up. GARBAGE. Okay, some might like it, but it's largely pointless. It over complicates the controls and can be flaky to use. When on a bike it also is unnatural. Stick to the nunchuk and wii-mote. Ultimately, it's an okay game that is nowhere near worth the money some have paid for it. I'm glad mine was only £20 on pre-order. Expand
  29. KateT
    May 11, 2008
    Being a huge fan of the Mario Kart series, I was definitely excited when I first bought this game. However, after playing it for awhile now, I realize that this game is definitely the weakest in the series. I had quite a few problems with the game, some of them being: -The items: It seems this time around, the items are used all too frequently, and it's very annoying when you're Being a huge fan of the Mario Kart series, I was definitely excited when I first bought this game. However, after playing it for awhile now, I realize that this game is definitely the weakest in the series. I had quite a few problems with the game, some of them being: -The items: It seems this time around, the items are used all too frequently, and it's very annoying when you're playing. For instance, getting hit by red shells non-stop, and those damn flying shells that hit you when you're in first place. Also, the favouritsm with the items is appaulling, if you're doing well (ie. the top three..) then you get horrible items like bananas and green shells. When you're in last, you get awesome items. It just isn't fair. -The Music: I remember when each Mario Kart level used to have distinct music that I would love to hear when I was playing the game. (Rainbow Road, anyone?) But it all seems a bit lost in translation here. Instead, we get o hear characters make annoying noises, such as "WHOO HOO!" and "Yeahhhhhh!" It's just plain irritating, and makes gameplay all the more difficult. And last, but not least, my last complaint is that the game seems to rely too much on a gimmick (the steering with the Wiimote) and, in turn the levels are just not that fun. Some levels are loaded with things that can hit you, you can fall off of, while others are just so boring you'll want to fall asleep while playing them. I also wanted to enjoy the Retro levels, but it seems like they just haaaaaad to update those too. Overall, I find myself not really wanting to go back and play this game, but rather whip out my Gamecube or Nintendo 64 to play some real Mario Kart. So, if you're a fan of the series check this game out, if not, just don't bother with it. Expand
  30. JamesO.
    May 9, 2008
    The new characters and updated retro levels make this a great addition to the Mario Kart lineup. However, the somewhat watered down battle mode and over dependence of items keeps it from being at the top of the best of 2008.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#6 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    With more features, modes and multiplayer options than ever before, fans should be revved up to get behind the wheel. [May 2008, p.86]
  2. Edge Magazine
    Having sacrificed racing integrity in "Double Dash" to side with social silliness, Nintendo has turned 180 degrees into an awkward halfway house. [May 2008, p.86]
  3. Then there is the Wii Wheel peripheral itself, which if you did not already know is just a plastic housing for the Wiimote. I have to admit though it is a well made bit of plastic, and is not only smarter looking than the uninspired Wii Zapper, but also more ergonomic to hold. Unexpectedly it is very easy to use.