Mega Man 9 Wii

8.3

1. Aug 4, 2015
    I'm really torn about this game. It's well designed, clever, and the music is great. The biggest issue with this MM title is that frankly, it's too difficult to be fun. The game tries as hard as it can to trick you, obviously leading you one way but punishing you for following its lead. Most of these kills are insta-deaths, which makes it even more irritating to play. The game givesI'm really torn about this game. It's well designed, clever, and the music is great. The biggest issue with this MM title is that frankly, it's too difficult to be fun. The game tries as hard as it can to trick you, obviously leading you one way but punishing you for following its lead. Most of these kills are insta-deaths, which makes it even more irritating to play. The game gives horribly infrequent checkpoints, requiring you to backtrack through frustrating parts over and over again.

The other issue with Mega Man 9 is its tendency to stick with outdated and frustrating 8-bit tropes that we never liked. It's one thing to hold onto the music and graphical styles of the 8-bit era, but it's entirely another to do things that we now know were stupid. Take for example the in-game upgrade store. Roll feels the need to talk to you before and after every single purchase with several texts boxes. Naturally after the 3rd or 4th time, you just press A to scroll through as quickly as possible. But wait, if you just keep pressing the A button (even if you're paying attention) the game is set up so that a large percentage of the time you'll end up trying to purchase WHAT YOU JUST BOUGHT AGAIN. Then you have to listen to Roll talk some more, and if you're veeeeery patient, you can tell her you don't want to buy that item. This may seem inconsequential, and it is. The issue is that someone at capcom probably thought: "this is something old games used to do. We should do that" instead of realizing that "it was annoying then, and it'll be even more annoying now that people know better." I am all about classic 8-but games, but it's foolish to expose ourselves to bad gameplay features that have rightly been ousted from most modern games.

I'd probably give the game an 8.5/10 if it weren't so unnecessarily difficult. It's interesting how this game was billed as "a return to old-school difficulty," but is in actuality much harder than pretty much all of the old games.
  2. Dec 7, 2014
    Good tunes(especially Magma Man and Tornado Man), great gameplay, nice enemies and a lot of fun level design...
    And great bosses, and they carried the spirit of the original NES games wonderfully well into a more modern megaman, and the weapons are good, and the enemies are varied and interesting, and I'm enjoying a lot of MM9...
    But the truth is that this MM is hard even for MM

But the truth is that this MM is hard even for MM standards. It's brutal and the worst is that the difficulty seldom comes from demanding level design.

It's more about the cheap shots. LOTS of cheap shots. Enemies that insta-kill you because you jumped over a pit and it came out of said pit and knockbacked you to your death, lots of insta-kill attacks like lava or large open chasms with tiny blocks to jump on with wind pushing you in a direction or the other, which along with knockbacking enemies makes a ton of very unpleasant deaths on your first attempts. And let's not forget the number of one-hit-kill spikes.

This is already bad, but the cherry on the **** cake of MM9 is simply the lack of checkpoints. If I'm correct there is only ONE checkpoint per level!
    I'm not sure how many there were in the other ones but I'm 100% certain that if I died at a difficult miniboss or a really rough passage over a bottomless pit, I wouldn't be kicked back to the beginning of the stage every time!

Actually I can safely say that over 90% of my deaths weren't due to enemies or loss of energy but by knockbacks and one-hit kills, except against the bosses.

My real gripe is that MM1 is considered a hard game by most yet I remember so little pain compared to how much bollocks MM9's difficulty can be.

As a whole 9 is certainly a good MM but the number of cheap shots and knockbacks I keep getting destroyed by is certainly getting on my nerves. I enjoy it but the amount of pain it gives me is a little too high to ignore.
  3. Gameproisajoke
    Sep 25, 2008
    Gamepro gives Samurai Shodown a 50 for having dated graphics and being aimed at only diehard fans, and then gives this game an 80. People make your own decisions. These "critics" need to study some criticism theory so they can understand the difference between opinions and criticism.

#16 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#52 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan-service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots.
    MM9 is an unapologetic nod to one of gaming's greatest eras. It might've been made especially for nostalgia-crazed dorks like me, but it's something that any challenge-seeking gamer can dig.
  3. Buy it, finish it, love it, because if this takes off we’re going to see a renaissance of new-old games. And if that happens, a whole new batch of gamers will grow up learning why rock-solid gameplay, not tera-flipping flop-bib shaders, make games truly exceptional.