Mega Man 9 Wii

8.2

1. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is possibly the best in the series. Actually, it is the best in the series. The plot is that Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light, is framed and put in prison. Mega Man has to defeat the defective Robot Masters and clear his creator's name. But, [huge surprise here, do not continue if your heart can't take it] Dr. Wily is behind it. The controls are spot-on. Mega Man feels just like he should, with perfect running speed and jumping mechanics. The one problem is the removal of 2 key features: The charge shot (which is made up for with the weapons) and the slide. The removal of the slide affects mobility negatively. The Robot Masters are well-designed and have very fun levels. The weapons you get are even better. Every weapon has a use at some point, whether it is for mobility or attack. The Wily Level bosses are all well done and fun to fight, and never get too difficult to the point it's not fun. Over all, I recommend Mega Man 9 to every gamer with a Wii, 360 or PS3. Expand
  2. ChrisC.
    Oct 12, 2008
    FINALLY a company realizes what made NES games so fun. Megaman 9 is even crueler than the original Megamans, and the most fun, most frustrating action game to come out in years.
  3. BryanK.
    Sep 24, 2008
    After only playing for one night it brings me back to the old school Mega Man goodness. The difficulty of each level makes it that much more enjoyable. Plus the multiple play modes will be a treat as well. Well Done Capcom.
  4. JeffM.
    Oct 8, 2008
    A Magnificent throwback to the games of yore. When levels themselves were truly perilous, and bosses were actually stronger than your own character. I have yet to beat any level on the first play-through. A great game...more than worth the wii points...not to mention the downloadable content looks promising. I mean who doesn't love Protoman?!
  5. NickL
    Apr 2, 2009
    I miss the days of gameplay over graphics, todays market is so oversaturated with the same garbage, a game like this is a nice breath of fresh air
  6. JackH
    Jun 5, 2009
    I must truly be a child of the 80's born late. I've played through Mega Man 1,2,3, and 9 for the first time ever this week, and, despite their age (or, in this case, emulated age) they play well. Mega Man 9 has to be the hardest of the bunch. Even after just beating Mega Man 2 on hard, this game requires patience and dedication to overcome. Add to that the ridiculous challenges, I must truly be a child of the 80's born late. I've played through Mega Man 1,2,3, and 9 for the first time ever this week, and, despite their age (or, in this case, emulated age) they play well. Mega Man 9 has to be the hardest of the bunch. Even after just beating Mega Man 2 on hard, this game requires patience and dedication to overcome. Add to that the ridiculous challenges, and you've got a game very few will actually complete 100%. For those who stick with it, though, it will be a blast. Like I said, I'm a Mega Man Newb, but although this game is incredibly simple in design, it actually has a lot of fun, if sadistic, ideas. The Bosses, in particular, are alot harder, because their AI has been updated, meaning you can't "Cheat" bosses like you could in the older ones. The game also comes with a nice set of pay-to-download bonus features. Although not strictly neccessary to enjoy the game, they ARE well worth the money for fans, but many will be greatful that the spending is optional. For example, if you were used to the sliding and chargeable beam of Mega Man 3, a downloadable "Proto Man" mode gives you these abilities for a mere 2 bucks. Overall, for fans of challenging platformers, I cannot reccommend this enough. However, unless you're really confident of your skills, I would recommend a playthrough of some of the older ones first Collapse
  7. BrandonV
    Nov 9, 2008
    Jona C. just doesn't get it, and that's really sad. Mega Man 9 is more than a nostalgic trip down memory lane. It attempts to bring back the days when games were valued on gameplay, innovation and FUN, rather than the most "realistic" looking graphics on the market. They're using more with less, and it's a perfect win. And don't think you'll have a cakewalk Jona C. just doesn't get it, and that's really sad. Mega Man 9 is more than a nostalgic trip down memory lane. It attempts to bring back the days when games were valued on gameplay, innovation and FUN, rather than the most "realistic" looking graphics on the market. They're using more with less, and it's a perfect win. And don't think you'll have a cakewalk through this game, either. Because you won't. Expand
  8. ShawnL.
    Dec 8, 2008
    Really awesome retro action! Graphics are horiblbe just like in the NES days. This was the first Mega Man game I had ever played and now I am addicted to their awesomeness. I have now played Mega Man 1, 2, and 3 because of this game. Go blue bomber!!!
  9. BigTuna
    Sep 23, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic, it's done exactly like the old 8-bit ones. In fact, it uses the same control scheme from MM2, same kind of music, and really tough levels. I know $10 is a little expensive, but it's worth it. Hope you can handle a challenge!
  10. EvanB.
    Sep 24, 2008
    I hope that they make more retro games for the Virtual Console! Fantastic game! Perfect 10!
  11. Jay
    Sep 27, 2008
    Easily one of the best Mega Man games in the entire franchise with a challenge to push the best of the best at Mega Man. Thank you Capcom, cheers to MM10!
  12. JeremyH.
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was very excited to have the feeling of MM2 again. The game is challenging and easy at the same time. It takes an exactness in jumping, strategy in fighting, and free play in weapon choice. I haven't finished it yet, but I am already a big fan.
  13. CaleL.
    Sep 22, 2008
    Maybe not the best in the original series, but arguably the greatest game created since the dawn of fun! Hopefully the start of a "retro revolution" is at hand. This is the best gaming experience I've had since Mario Galaxy, which is a lot to say, especially for a self-proclaimed GTA junkie! And don't expect an easy time like 5 or 6, this is an extremely challenging game.
  14. BrandonH.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Everything a Mega Man fan could want, and more. Finally, something for the fans that's on par, or maybe even better than their favorite Mega Man game (mine being 2). Will they make more? If Capcom decides to produce more of these, if will most likely start the cycle of MM games getting progressively worse all over again.
  15. VittorioR
    Sep 13, 2009
    Challenging, amazing, nostalgic. One of the best games I ever played. Try it.
  16. Dec 9, 2011
    If you are a fan of the Mega Man series, you'll be amazed by this game. It is on par with 2 and 3 which are widely considered the best in the series. The stages, enemies, bosses, etc. are all very original and the difficulty level of this game is awesome. It's not as hard as everybody says. It's just the right difficulty where it's challenging, but it's not frustrating.
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    The original NES Mega Man series, in my eyes, is still the best in the franchise. Before we got convoluted plots with unskippable cutscenes and too much wasted time, Mega Man was a simple series about unflinching action: shooting your way through engaging thematic side-scrolling stages, figuring out boss sequences, getting flashy new weapons.

Mega Man 9 is a glorious trip back to those

Mega Man 9 is a glorious trip back to those very same roots. Its greatest triumph, however, is how it manages to differ from the last NES title (Mega Man 6) and its tired design. For starters, stages are a lot more challenging, harkening back to the very first titles in the franchise. Secondly, the boss weapons are a home run, fusing usability with just the right amount of innovation. Using them in clever ways is most certainly not optional, and when you come across the first Wily's castle you'll run into a lot of specific problems that are only solvable with the right weapon.

The story also follows in the old games' footsteps, but it's taken to the next level. Even though it's very simplistic and easy to follow (as it should be in such a game, really), you'll end up even feeling sympathetic towards the boss enemies, who are literally fighting for their lives. It's a simple but nice twist in the old Wily-wants-to-take-over-the-world formula, and makes the experience even more memorable.

My only point of contention with the game is the fact that it chose to go back to the Mega Man 2 move configuration, eschewing the awesome Mega Man 3-introduced slide from the titular character's arsenal. Still, that's a very minor flaw in a game that's a veritable retro heaven.

If, like me, you lost hours on end trying to conquer the old NES Mega Man games back in the day, you owe it to yourself to get this one. If you're younger than that, and accostumed to newer games, it depends on whether you can dig the 8-bit feel. Rest assured, the gameplay is excellent and will not leave you wanting.

#17 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#46 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan-service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots.
    MM9 is an unapologetic nod to one of gaming's greatest eras. It might've been made especially for nostalgia-crazed dorks like me, but it's something that any challenge-seeking gamer can dig.
  3. Buy it, finish it, love it, because if this takes off we’re going to see a renaissance of new-old games. And if that happens, a whole new batch of gamers will grow up learning why rock-solid gameplay, not tera-flipping flop-bib shaders, make games truly exceptional.