Phantasy Star IV Wii

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Dec 22, 2008
8.3

1. Feb 25, 2016
    One of my favorite games of all time. I played through the original series, skipping Phantasy Star III due to its horrible design and quality issues, I found this last installment to perfectly close the series. Furthering the black sheep of PSIII, PSIV takes place right over top of PSIII in the story's time line. Which, in my opinion, was one of the smartest moves I've seen a AAA companyOne of my favorite games of all time. I played through the original series, skipping Phantasy Star III due to its horrible design and quality issues, I found this last installment to perfectly close the series. Furthering the black sheep of PSIII, PSIV takes place right over top of PSIII in the story's time line. Which, in my opinion, was one of the smartest moves I've seen a AAA company do when comparing the two.

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium takes place yet another 1,000 years after Phantasy Star II which took place 1,000 years after the original Phantasy Star. This is the first time I've experienced such story development. If you played this series, then you actually knew the lore because... you did it! A thousand years ago. Phantasy Star IV talks about much of the events that transpired in Phantasy Star II, and that was truly memorable as I played the characters that caused those events! What a cool feeling!

Combining magic or technique spells were a lot of fun because it changed, and usually amplified the original spells power. Whether to grind experience faster, or help kill a tough boss, there were many to choose from.

Each character in the game usually can learn Technique spells, and personal skills. Both of which were unique attacks or supported the party in various ways. Plus you had your normal attack abilities. Each character still had access to items to offer support when they couldn't heal through techniques, like the android Wren.

The strongest asset to this game was its story. It beautifully tied the events from the previous installments to the current storyline. Without spoiling anything, it was incredibly powerful how (from the back of Phantasy Star II's case quotes) "exploding planets" impacted the storyline in Phantasy Star IV. I'm so glad to have finally finished this game, it was well worth the wait!

I'd highly recommend playing this game. Even more so, if you don't play Phantasy Star 1 & 2, definitely check out the stories for those before playing this game. I think you'll find more enjoyment from it!

There are no critic reviews yet.