Red Steel Wii

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. Sep 18, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this game at all. The controls are totally not intuitive and don't feel natural for how a samurai would move. The gun is nearly impossible to aim. When get the game and hate it so much that I can't even bare to play it again after the first time, that can't even be considered a game, rather an expensive demo.
  2. Maslab
    May 21, 2008
    Fun at first, but sword fights are a pain to start and once you get the controls down, they're just way too easy. The only part I truly like about it is how the gun mechanics work, but the absence of an actual reticle is akward. Really only fun in the beginning, probably just a rental at best, a leave-it-alone in my solemn opinion.
    Points for actually making use of the motion
    Points for actually making use of the motion sensing in a good way.
  3. JackH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game plays like it was rushed out the door. The cut-scenes look like they were produced by interns, the sword scenes are reminiscent of PC games circa 1988 and the controls just don't work. save your money.
  4. JohnK.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game is horrible! The controls do not work that good and many people will quit right away because of the confusing controls! If you have the patience, then maybe it's worth a rental.
  5. CH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    The controls are twitchy, the sword fights are boring, the graphics are muddy, and the voice acting is bad (bad for an FPS even). The game had so much potential to be great it's a real heart break to see it fall flat on it's face. I wanted to enjoy this game so much, but I couldn't. For a better FPS on the Wii, check out Call of Duty 3.
  6. ChrisS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone that the sword controls are a travesty, the story and voice acting a sin, and the guns aren't anywhere as good as "Call of Duty 3" Do yourself a favour and prey for a Star wars Light Saber game. Expand
  7. AlexC.
    Dec 31, 2006
    This game SUCKS I have a Wii and have never played a game this bad the controls are really hard, and the sword fighting isnt much better.
  8. DaveY.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The gun sensitivity is too high for my liking, I twitch and it goes and swings around 90 degrees and the sword sensitivity is too low for my liking, and it won't let me cut horizontally when I want to! It seems to me like it was so rushed that it was just a bunch of bits and pieces smashed together in to a passable game
  9. RayM.
    May 20, 2007
    For a FPS person, this game has a ton of potential (other than the storyline and c'mon...if you want a storyline, read a book...for me, I just want to shoot things). The controls are the most frustrating as they don't feel very intuitive. I think I would like to try the game if and when they made the gun for the wii-mote...so you can actually hold it like a gun and not fumble For a FPS person, this game has a ton of potential (other than the storyline and c'mon...if you want a storyline, read a book...for me, I just want to shoot things). The controls are the most frustrating as they don't feel very intuitive. I think I would like to try the game if and when they made the gun for the wii-mote...so you can actually hold it like a gun and not fumble around with it. As it is now...it feels like you are drunk trying to shoot people. The game actually made me feel nauseous at times. I didn't even get to the sword part and honestly, didn't care if it was bad or not...I want a good Wii FPS Expand
  10. Reuben
    May 26, 2007
    Red Steel tries to be the first of the hardcore Wii games, but falls woefully short. The controls, while intuitive, are often difficult and the Wii doesn't always sense exactly what you're doing, which makes for some frustrating fights. Plus you get stuck climbing stairs quite a bit. Firing a sniping weapon is an exercise in anger management; the aiming reticule barely zooms, Red Steel tries to be the first of the hardcore Wii games, but falls woefully short. The controls, while intuitive, are often difficult and the Wii doesn't always sense exactly what you're doing, which makes for some frustrating fights. Plus you get stuck climbing stairs quite a bit. Firing a sniping weapon is an exercise in anger management; the aiming reticule barely zooms, and you can't see anything around your tiny dot on a black screen. Realism is kept to a bare minimum. I don't know where they get forklifts for this game, but I've never seen one explode when struck with a single bullet. Gameplay aside, how about the graphics? Well, nothing there to redeem it either. The English is miserable, constantly bombarding the player with "EARN TEN RESPECTS", the word "respect" being the latest iteration of "point" in modern gaming. Props to the game, however, for correctly identifying its fan base: ADHD teenagers who buy wallscrolls and Dragonball figurines every time their parents give them money say "desu" a lot on internet forums. Expand
  11. PowerByAznLee
    Aug 12, 2007
    This game is not that good. i was hoping to be blown away with this game, but i couldnt imagine that this is game freakin weak!!... the graphic is like 007 Golden eye on N64. the sword fighting and shooting are retarded. the enemy is easy to kill. Rent this game first! Call of Duty 3 is way better easier to control. Res4 is even Better and way more fun!!!!
  12. Oct 26, 2011
    I played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. SwordplayI played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. Swordplay is also much better in Nr.2 because of Motion Plus. I recommend to anyone to skip one and go straight to 2. You will get the story of 2 without having played 1. Expand
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    I feel this game was like a Golden Eye 007 for 64 attempt while adding rails, the game is ok but it put me to sleep quick. I love the original 007 but this game is ridiculous. The controls are crap and i disliked the game all together. Deserves a 4 for effort.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring theThis game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring the daughter of a very respected Asian gang. The problem is that a rival gang has killed your boss an stolen your fiance. That is the most lazy and reused idea EVER!!!!!! Its like zombies and vampires had a baby and the baby was born to play in a kart racer! This game was made just to show off the Wii's motion controls and that's it. This game is horrible and it shows with badly thought out game design and very little effect other than that when you move the Wii mote the sword moves almost a whole ten seconds after your actual movement. Avoid this game at all cost don't buy this for anything less than free. Expand

#3 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2006
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2006

1. Nintendo Gamer
    It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.