• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. ScottW.
    Nov 21, 2006
    This game is amazing and well worth the purchase. It can be a little fiddly at the start, but once you know what you are doing, it is very addictive
  2. AnthonyW.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Incredible game that only has one flaw, a steep learning curve the many lack the patience to overcome.
  3. VijayL.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I was a bit reluntant to get this game with the mixed reviews. #However i found it fun and light. I'm busy so picking up the game enjoying some non sci-fi fps (which isn't a ww2 game) with some sword slashing was excatly perfect. violent fun is whats this game is about not great strategy play.
  4. VaiseC.
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any Ok, First of all...To all you who say "Ohh The Aim is to Sensitive!" Theres something called the OPTIONS MENU! YOu can adjust the sensitivity..The game is Awesome...It was the First FPS game for the wii .. I think...So if it does bad..Dont hate...If you say it "SUCKS" Well thats pretty much your opinion...People who dont like the game..Are not hardcore gamers like myself..I play any game..i can beat...And believe me..I baught the game Teletubbies for PS1 And beat it. If your not a hardcore gamer.....Get Games maybe like..Half life 2...or...I dont know....But RedSteel...Is a very Amazing Game...The story line is Old School "Kidnappes GirlFriend rescue" BUt theres lots of twists to the story also..What makes the game even more amazing is the fact that when i was thinking i finished the game..The game suprised me with Missions you can do optionally...The funnest and wackiest one being the fun house mission...If your going to say its hard to control...Then your not an aivid Wii Gamer..I suggest you go be a lazy Person and pick up a 360 controller...Because I have played them all...Because im a VERY hardcore gamer..And if you wanna hate the graphics..in my opinion..they are VERY good for a Virtual Shooting Game...Shizamn. Expand
  5. DavidGough
    Apr 17, 2008
    I consider this one of the best games I have, not quite the best, but pretty close. I love the swordplay (something I've never seen before in ANY game), I like the graphics, and the very well designed multiplayer.
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this). Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this).
    Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a awesome game.
  6. DavidP.
    Sep 10, 2006
    I give this game a 9 as I am unsure of the contorls yet, if it replicates the exact movement of the controller to the sword on the screen then it scores a 10 because i think that game would be incredibly fun however if it only has certain places where it replicates i score it a 8, i gave it half way for now because I do not know either one for certain.
  7. ShaneP.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Great game, ignore all "ugly by gamecube standards" type comments, because this game could not be handled on the cube, much as I love that system. Excellent controls, the only downside is the lack of online multi-player. A great first entry into the new world of immersive FPS.
  8. AntonioJ.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I just beat this game. This game is worth checking out. The graphic (fire, water, rain, particle effects, lighting effects, fog, and textures) are beautiful. No way Deeko. The control are only perfect when you adjust the sensitivity through the Wii and have steady hand. I'm ready for a revolution, what about you.
  9. KyleW.
    Dec 2, 2006
    The game is very well put together exept I thought the swordplay could have been more interactive. All in all I highly recommend Red Steel for any FPS fan.
  10. RovW
    Dec 18, 2006
    Great game, to bad about the multiplayer and the controls are a little bit hard to learn but after that it's a great shooter but it needs some improvement.
  11. ChazS.
    May 23, 2007
    I don't understand why some people don't like it, ok the sword fighting lets it down, but frankly this is only because the rest of the game is so good. Red Steel is entertaining game that is in my opinon the best shooting game on the Wii, and it will take a seriously good game with an even better concept to take this away from it, in fact I'm not expecting this to happen I don't understand why some people don't like it, ok the sword fighting lets it down, but frankly this is only because the rest of the game is so good. Red Steel is entertaining game that is in my opinon the best shooting game on the Wii, and it will take a seriously good game with an even better concept to take this away from it, in fact I'm not expecting this to happen unless a sequal is released. Expand
  12. EricJ.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Game is under-rated, once you get use to the controls its so fun and engaging. I love those massive firefights with bullets smashing glass, boxes, cars and more! Its a whole heap of fun, and it feels like your playing in an action movie, hope they make a sequel... people that dont like the controls really need to spend a bit of time with it, my system is fine, using the control scheme is Game is under-rated, once you get use to the controls its so fun and engaging. I love those massive firefights with bullets smashing glass, boxes, cars and more! Its a whole heap of fun, and it feels like your playing in an action movie, hope they make a sequel... people that dont like the controls really need to spend a bit of time with it, my system is fine, using the control scheme is second nature for me now in this game, very very enjoyable! Expand
  13. BrianM.
    Dec 21, 2007
    This game might have occasionally frustrating swordplay and sometimes repetitive gameplay, but by no means does that mean it's not fun to play. It's shocking to see some of the very low scores this game is getting. It deserves a 7 at the very least. Anything lower than that is madness.
  14. DavidPerkins
    Dec 29, 2006
    The lower scores given out by reviewers smacks of nothing more than a review they were forced to rush to cover the Wii launch.

The control system is different, but it's nothing like broken, and those who claim otherwise are simply wrong. The game is very on-rails, but that doesn't damage the otherwise satisfying gun and sword play offered here. It's not going to drop

It's not going to drop any jaws, but this is about as solid a launch FPS title the Wii could have hoped for. There's enough original ideas to call it well above average, and the control system is a real breath of fresh air.

Complaints against the games technical side also seem unfair. Red Steel would be considered an extremely competent and visually impressive Cube title, and given that Ubisoft were working on GC development kits for most of Red Steel's development, they have done a cracking job.

Most notable for me though, is the variety of locations and set pieces, within the games - admittedly straight forward - story, which makes the whole thing feel like an expansive adventure.

Red Steel may not be a system seller, but if you've got a Wii and are looking for some solid FPS action, this is absolutely indispensable.
  15. IordanTonchev
    Feb 13, 2008
    Incredible how gamesites, giving high mark for pretty bad game, are giving so low scores here.
    The game is indeed not reinventing the FPS genre, but it is one really good shooter. Also take into account this is a launch title made to show off the new wii controllers. Also it has some of that Max Payne feeling in it.
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying sword fights.
    Good game, but indeed far from perfect.
  16. TomAgius
    Jun 7, 2008
    Red Steel is fast from perfect, but the one thing it has over a lot of other shooters is that it's really, really fun. After I finished the game, I only wanted more, and replayed the whole thing again and I still wasn't sick of it.

I can't wait for the sequel!
  17. Born2respawn
    Dec 30, 2006
    Not the best shooter ever, but good fun none-the-less. I'll never find it as easy to control as, say, Halo 2 or any PC shooter, but that's just familliarity. My girlfriend, who never plays shooters, loves it and find's it easy to control.
  18. SteveP.
    Jan 1, 2007
    As an FPS it was quite average, but with the new control system (which can be a little buggy at times) it turned it into a whole new experience. I only want to play FPS this way now, I can't wait for a top notch game with similar controls!
  19. GregoryB.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Steep leaning curve getting a good feel for the controls, but once you do, Wow! Love the Asian theme and decor, great attention to detail with the sound effects, and destructive environments are always a blast! I'm enjoying the swordplay too. I can't believe people are complaining.
  20. AndrewG.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The only real problem that I've heard about this game is that the controls are bad. For me though, this game was easy pick up and play status for multiplayer. If you have experience with other wii games (especially the bow and arrow in Zelda) then this game should be no problem for you. Red Steel reminds me of Golden Eye, but is not quite as good - the single player is a little too The only real problem that I've heard about this game is that the controls are bad. For me though, this game was easy pick up and play status for multiplayer. If you have experience with other wii games (especially the bow and arrow in Zelda) then this game should be no problem for you. Red Steel reminds me of Golden Eye, but is not quite as good - the single player is a little too linear, and the subobjectives are a little too lame. But multiplayer was hella fun. Expand
  21. AlanS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Great game, although it does not have the greatest of voice acting. The controls work fine for me, I don't have any "jumpyness" in the game itself, and it is very enjoyable, although it does not break any new ground for gaming.
  22. DavidH.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Initially very frustrating, but please be patient - the controls become second nature in no time and the game becomes great fun and satisfying.
  23. JimG.
    Mar 8, 2007
    After being bored by Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports (mini-games don't last forever) and after being extremely disappointed by Sonic & the Secret Ring and SSX Blur (games that I felt were somehow broken), I was looking for something deeper and easy to pick up. I was also giving up on the Wii because I thought the only game I would ever enjoy was Excite After being bored by Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports (mini-games don't last forever) and after being extremely disappointed by Sonic & the Secret Ring and SSX Blur (games that I felt were somehow broken), I was looking for something deeper and easy to pick up. I was also giving up on the Wii because I thought the only game I would ever enjoy was Excite Truck. So if you feel the same, please read this. I finally decided to rent Red Steel. I took a while to do it since the reviews were a mix of both uber good comments and big disappointments. After 2 hours of play... the conclusion is... I have to buy this game. I must admit that I'm not a FPS gamer at all, so I never felt handicapped by the limited controls and the extremely straight forward storyline. I really enjoyed that game. The story is fun and it doesn't take a couple of hours to get use to the controls (as opposed to many reviews I've read). Yes it's old school, but who said it was bad? However the sword fight isn't as responsive as I would've expect it to be. If you were a fan of the first Perfect Dark and even 007: Golden Eye on the N64 and still enjoy them, you will feel right at home with that one. I still recommend to rent it first... After spending over a hundred dollars for both Sonic and SSX, I've learn my lesson... Wii games have to be tried first. Expand
  24. PervaanA.
    Apr 3, 2007
    To me, this is one of the most underrated game the wii has to offer. Although the controls take getting used to, Red Steel is a great game. The story isn't very unique, the fiance gets kidnapped, and the hero goes to save her, but the natural-felling wii controls make it a fun game to play. Cutscenes are basically comics with voice acting, and not very exciting. There are a some To me, this is one of the most underrated game the wii has to offer. Although the controls take getting used to, Red Steel is a great game. The story isn't very unique, the fiance gets kidnapped, and the hero goes to save her, but the natural-felling wii controls make it a fun game to play. Cutscenes are basically comics with voice acting, and not very exciting. There are a some special moves to learn with both the sword and the gun, like some ninja time freezing move, making Red Steel more than your average FPS. Swordfights are fun, but bland, and are easily finished. The Single player mode takes about 10-15 hours to complete, and when thats finished, there is alwasys the upto 4 player Split screen to go to. Graphics and sound are very nice, but there are some glitches from time to time. For its price (29.99 new) Red steel is a great game to pick up, or rent if you don't want to play split screen. Gameplay is exciting with all the running and gunning, with swordfights at times and the controls help make it a better game.This game gets an 8.5/10 by me. Expand
  25. KDep
    Apr 24, 2007
    I'm very impressed by this game. It's a launch game, it doesn't take full advantage of the Wii's power - get over it. The controls are nothing short of amazing. I'm very impressed - this is what a game on the Wii is supposed to be like. The game is a showcase for what the Wii can do - and it does it very well. A great game if you can find it at a good price. Might I'm very impressed by this game. It's a launch game, it doesn't take full advantage of the Wii's power - get over it. The controls are nothing short of amazing. I'm very impressed - this is what a game on the Wii is supposed to be like. The game is a showcase for what the Wii can do - and it does it very well. A great game if you can find it at a good price. Might not be worth retail price, but used copies are readily available. Expand
  26. RichardC.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Yes, this game has some minor annoyances in both design and control, but if you've been pining for the glory years of 2002 and 2003, the years of colorful fantasy worlds, optimism, and simple, satisfying blaster combat, you'll see this as a gaming great! If only it could be patched.
  27. AndrewM.
    Apr 30, 2009
    Similar in structure to 'Medal of Honour' style shooters, where you wander from scene to scene blasting away at anything that moves. If you get hit, hide for a while and you'll be back to full fitness. The addition of sword fighting makes good use of the Wii controls and the Yakusa storyline gives it a nice twist on the genre - you will do better in the game if you spare Similar in structure to 'Medal of Honour' style shooters, where you wander from scene to scene blasting away at anything that moves. If you get hit, hide for a while and you'll be back to full fitness. The addition of sword fighting makes good use of the Wii controls and the Yakusa storyline gives it a nice twist on the genre - you will do better in the game if you spare your opponents' lives! It's available cheap, particularly pre-owned, and I'd say well worth the money. Expand
  28. TK
    Jun 19, 2009
    I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the I just rented this game and have been playing it for about an hour. In that short time playing i thought it was great. It's like a modern Driv3r for PS2 with ninjas. The only problem is that the ememies can't shut up! You'll be in a gunfight with a bunch of guys and the whole time you are being showered with "I'll get you!' "You're a dead man!" "What the hell?" "You'll regret that!" "Murderer!". It gets annoying very fast, and all of the excesive swearing will turn away parents of younger gamers. Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    I bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reactsI bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reacts to your movements pretty well.Aiming with the gun is pretty easy and you can even tilt your gun sideways. If you're looking for a good game to play for your Wii Then buy this, but if you are looking for something that has "real-life graphics" then play something else. Expand
  30. BryanM.
    Nov 20, 2006
    this game is really good, its controls are a little bad but other than that the game is a great wii game if you like killing this may be the game for you. I mean when can you use a sword then a gun in the same game. thats right never.
  31. ChrisD.
    Nov 21, 2006
    It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is really lacking the fun you get from using the guns. For anyone looking to purchase the game, I found it to be a good introduction to the FPS genre on the Wii. Expand
  32. ChrisH.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Critics are slamming it a little too hard. Dual-analog control sucks anyway, this is paving the way for the Wii's future. Not perfect but pretty fun.
  33. AllistairP.
    Dec 5, 2006
    Decent enough, and sadly in the top 3 launch titles for the Wii. I had a good time with it, and especially enjoyed the controls (although they were buggy). It'd be nice to see a Half-Life caliber shooter with this control set up. Better than COD3, but not as flashy.
  34. JamesT.
    Jan 31, 2007
    Even though the gamplay isn't the best in the world, a good story line and a nice fun, easy game to play is all you need after you have came in from work. With the throw of a numchuck doors will open, tables will be kicked to use for cover and other great features. Theres one major fault I found with the game when playing and that was the swords! Only three ways to attack with the Even though the gamplay isn't the best in the world, a good story line and a nice fun, easy game to play is all you need after you have came in from work. With the throw of a numchuck doors will open, tables will be kicked to use for cover and other great features. Theres one major fault I found with the game when playing and that was the swords! Only three ways to attack with the sword, a dodging move and one blocking move lets the amazing gun play seem stupid. Expand
  35. BRIAND.
    Feb 16, 2007
    Good graphics and gameplay but didn't last long enough. Finished in less than 10 hrs of playing. Would have been very good if it were online multiplayer.
  36. KarlP.
    Mar 12, 2007
    What can you say about this game? A passable 3rd person shooter which takes control to the next level by using a combination of control stick (nan chuck) for movement and light gun for looking around & aiming (wii remote). It ought to be really good, but somehow it's just OK (sword fighting is an after thought, controls are a bit fiddly, game gets repetitive). Try this game to see What can you say about this game? A passable 3rd person shooter which takes control to the next level by using a combination of control stick (nan chuck) for movement and light gun for looking around & aiming (wii remote). It ought to be really good, but somehow it's just OK (sword fighting is an after thought, controls are a bit fiddly, game gets repetitive). Try this game to see where this genre will be heading, but don't expect to remember this one in a few years time. Expand
  37. NoahW.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This is an excellent game. It uses the wiimote and numchuck in a way no other game I've played has, making you feel as though you are holding the gun. It also has a style unique to most modern FPS's. Instead of missions or battles, you just fight your way to the next place, usually in little skirmishes. The interface is like a cross between those flash games where you shoot the This is an excellent game. It uses the wiimote and numchuck in a way no other game I've played has, making you feel as though you are holding the gun. It also has a style unique to most modern FPS's. Instead of missions or battles, you just fight your way to the next place, usually in little skirmishes. The interface is like a cross between those flash games where you shoot the targets moving across the screen and a mouselook FPS shooter. The swordplay could use a bit of work, though. You use moves, such as slashing with the wiimote and parrying by swing your numchuch, so it's pretty fun, but actually happens so little in the game. You will on swordfight someone only a few times per level, and you can't at all in multiplayer mode. The graphics are ok, not very flashy (except maybe for the explosions... preeetyyy explooosiiiooons), but what they lack the gameplay makes up for. Expand
  38. ChrisM.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This is an awesome game. Ignore all of the fake reviews giving it bad scores (they are all obviously paid by competitors to slander the game, no one gives games a 1, 2 or 3 unless they're trying to reduce the overall rating of it), it's an obvious tactic because they're getting smashed by the Wii. Red Steel has sold over a million copies world-wide, despite the political This is an awesome game. Ignore all of the fake reviews giving it bad scores (they are all obviously paid by competitors to slander the game, no one gives games a 1, 2 or 3 unless they're trying to reduce the overall rating of it), it's an obvious tactic because they're getting smashed by the Wii. Red Steel has sold over a million copies world-wide, despite the political tactics employed by competitors. I didn't buy this game for a while after getting my Wii because of all the bad reviews, but I finally did get it and it's a very fun game to play. All everyone does is talk about graphics, but no-one mentioned graphics when the Gamecube had games that looked better than anything on XBOX or PS2, (Metroid 2, Mario Soccer etc...) but now that's all anyone talks about. This game is fun to play. The controls are NOT HARD TO LEARN. WHAT IS HARD ABOUT DUCKHUNT??? If you can't point a gun at a screen then you should be classified as disabled, and as a disabled minority you should not really comment on what the masses should or shouldn't think of something. BTW this game is not short either, despite what some reviews have said. The reviews I've read for this game have led me to not trust any reviews anymore. Reviewing videogames has become a form of paid advatorial. These game sites are leeches... they don't create anything, they just attempt to dictate what other people should do and like... anyone with half a brain should realise this and take reviews as what they are - namely ONE PERSON'S OPINION. Of course this review is only one person's opinion (mine), but I'm reviewing the state of videogame critics and the legitimacy they have in this current world-state. I never cared what score a game got back in the early nineties when I was 10 years old, I just cared if it was fun. Now all anyone cares about is the score the game gets! And for the record, the term "next gen" could possibly refer to many things. The supposed "Next-Gen" graphics of the PS2 and XBOX 360 are not really as immersive as "NEXT-GEN CONTROLLERS!" All that aside, I'll probably still be playing Haze on the PS2 because Free Radical aren't bringing it out on any other system, same for GTA4 (cause I don't have $2,000 for a new PC to run it)... but I'll have to wait until the system price is reasonable, because right now IT COSTS TOO MUCH. It doesn't cost Sony any more money to produce these systems than it does to produce the PS2 systems they sell for next to nothing. Perhaps these companies might realise the way to dominate is to make the system affordable (almost at a loss or breaking even) and then to sell LOTS of games, instead of making the system unaffordable and mutilating the market, when the actual real costs of making the machine are so minimal it's almost criminal. Expand
  39. ScottS.
    Sep 30, 2008
    What can I say...I have mixed feelings for this game. The best things about this game are the graphics (which at times can look really nice), sound effects and music (top notch) and the general gameplay of the gunfights is very fun and feels like you're in an action movie with all the destructible environments. Despite all this there are a tonne of bad things about the game which What can I say...I have mixed feelings for this game. The best things about this game are the graphics (which at times can look really nice), sound effects and music (top notch) and the general gameplay of the gunfights is very fun and feels like you're in an action movie with all the destructible environments. Despite all this there are a tonne of bad things about the game which brings it down. The story is extremely bland & boring and is too much effort to try and keep up with it. The Japanese theme doesn't work and is just corny. I would have preferred some gang story in the USA instead (even if a little less original). The voice acting is atrocious simply because this game was made by non Japanese (ie the french) and so most of the dialogue involves ppl trying to imitate Japanese accent which at times sounds Chinese (I'm Japanese I can tell). Every time they spoke about something I wanted to skip it cause it was just too much of a chore to listen to it but it wouldn't let me. One of the other major annoyances is the swordfights which is absolute rubbish. It's repetitive, frustrating and unresponsive and is so tacked onto the game that I would like to skip it completely if I could...it's that bad. The actual aiming and moving around problem everyone mentions isn't THAT bad. It's not the best cause you have to move to far to the edge to turn. It takes a long time to get used to but once you're pretty used to it, you'll be able to play pretty well. I really like the gunfights cause the destructible environments and great sound effects and music create an exciting atmosphere, however the controls can hinder you when you're frantically trying to move quickly. If you buy this game, give it a go. I turned it off after an hour of first playing thinking 'omg this is so bad..I'm selling it' but I came back to it the next day and managed to find it's strengths despite its many weaknesses and after 10 hours managed to finish the game. The story, voices/voice acting and swordfights are so bad that it will test your patience. Just hope that the sequel will be set in the west, won't revolve around Japanese (since non Japanese are making it and don't know how to make it), improve the swordfights and controls and actually include blood and gore (which was lacking)..........only then might the game be a great game overall. Atm it's an average game with some great gunfights brought down by a load of mess. I give it a 7 and that's being generous. Expand
  40. FrankO.
    Jan 7, 2009
    one word: solid It's not the best game I've played in my life, but by far not the worst. It has its problems: some bugs which should've been fixed and strange swordfight. But: It was a launch title and therefore you should find it on your bargain desk. The solo-campaign took me about 10 hours alone that should be worth the money. At then there is a really fun one word: solid It's not the best game I've played in my life, but by far not the worst. It has its problems: some bugs which should've been fixed and strange swordfight. But: It was a launch title and therefore you should find it on your bargain desk. The solo-campaign took me about 10 hours alone that should be worth the money. At then there is a really fun split-screen-multiplayer-mode. My friends picked up the controls easily in 15 minutes and then the real fun began! Give it a try, I wasn't dissapointed Expand
  41. Jul 10, 2011
    At the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote getsAt the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote gets messy. I'm happy though that Nintendo made the risk. Expand
  42. Mar 10, 2014
    To begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, soTo begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, so I guess you could say I don't know any better.

The game is flawed in many respects, with the katana fights on top of the list. It is easiliy the most crippled in-game mechanic here. But other than that, the control scheme ain't half as bad as I was convinced it would be, having read online reviews. The least them devs could have done was given us an option to somehow skip these mutilated katana duels.

Aside from them, it's not like the motion controls are all good at all times. Every now and then, the camera tends to freak out as if it has gotten dizzy, in later chapters. Or is it just my wii mote losing it? Keeping in mind how crappy the controls were for, say, Medal of Honor for PS1 (doesn't mean I don't like the game), it still is quite convenient, but for occassional wrist strain.

The presentation is decent. Wii may be supposed to be played on a classic tube tv but even if you connect it to a plasma, without an HDMI adapter, it won't make your eyes bleed. It could be better, though. Textures are blurred and the screen resolution leaves much to be desired. The backdrops are sort of claustrophobic for Ubisosft, who came up with the well-acclaimed and pseudo open-world Far Cry two years before (I'm talking the PC version, don't know how they fared with the wii port's 'open worldliness'). By way of contrast, Red Steel is more of a corridor shooter.

NPCs are not the sharpest tools but they do take cover (sometimes), as opposed to what people say on the Internet. But I have seen for myself that, five times out of ten they act like dumb cannon fodder. And they blinking go away, once you get rid of them. Where are the corpses to mutilate with your sword? I want more blood (ha ha ha ha - madman's laughter).

As far as the story is concerned, the game lacks cut scenes. It is a flaw, if you ask me. Events in the plot are presented in the form of picures/ drawings, which reminds me of first two Max Paynes, where you had comic strips to fill you in as for the goings-on between chapters. The thing is Max Payne in-game comic novel was well-made. Sadly, the one in Red Steel is not as good but it kind of does its job. Guess decent cut scenes were too much to ask for at that point, but then again there already had been more stylish cuts scenes for PS1 games.

The story asks you to suspend your disebelief, to say the least:). Although cheesy and cliched, it still is quality-B-movie enough to get you coming back to see what'll happen next. Not as ambitious as Deus Ex, to name one example, but hey, while we are at it - did Far Cry have a good story? I think not. All the same, it did not prevent some reviewers from praising it like it was the best thing since the sliced bread. While the truth of the matter is that the plot in Far Cry was as dumb as could be.

The price will have been slashed by now and Red Steel is no collector's gem. If you can get it for a reasonable price, give it a try. Even for the sake of gaming history, to see for yourselves what might have been, had the motion controls delivered like they were supposed to in first trailers.
  43. JonnyT.
    Dec 11, 2006
    I was really hyped for this game but i gotta say i was disappointed. I personally dont mind the bad graphics all that much. But in multiplayer mode, theyre just way too horrible to overlook. youre player's arm doesnt even match with the person youre using! Pretty bad v-acting Controls were alrite but too difficult to explain to my friends for multiplayer mode.
  44. SteveW.
    Jan 9, 2007
    This game is not deserving of the harsh criticism it is receiving. Nor is it worthy of any accolades some have given it (nintendo UK). I am finding it about as much fun as Call of Duty 3 but red steel has more play time and multi player. The swordplay could have been better (like Zelda) and the AI is not good. But, I still enjoy easy shooters nonetheless.
  45. DerekS.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Red Steel is a good shooter, but not great. It was rushed at launch. Though there is 4 person multiplay, a satisfying single player, and fun gameplay, most of the time, there are blatant flaws. Bad voice acting, bad character models, small bugs, no online play, boring sword fights. There's a sequel coming out. You are better off purchasing that.
  46. JasonH.
    Jun 12, 2009
    This game is not very fun. I thought that the cut scenes were just really tacky, and the story didn't motivate me at all. There's a MAJOR flaw in the aiming ability, which I'm surprised was over looked. Aiming with out close up (zooming in and out was terrible) was fine: just point and shoot. However, if you're a distance away, and you want to aim up close, the stupid This game is not very fun. I thought that the cut scenes were just really tacky, and the story didn't motivate me at all. There's a MAJOR flaw in the aiming ability, which I'm surprised was over looked. Aiming with out close up (zooming in and out was terrible) was fine: just point and shoot. However, if you're a distance away, and you want to aim up close, the stupid game auto targets, making it difficult to shoot the enemies you want to shoot. Aside from that, the graphics when not in a cut scene are great (weird huh?), and people can be shot through the tiniest of crack. Also, the AI are pretty smart. Expand
  47. Aug 15, 2010
    Red steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some ofRed steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some of the time they will freak out and you will start spiraling in a circle for about a second, but keep in mind this is very rare problem (it will happen once or twice the entire game.)The graphics of red steel are not award worthy or great because they are bland, gray, and overall terrible even for a wii game, but there are some decent explosions. Too add to this seemingly never-ending list of problems the story seems to be taken out of a d movie, and while some will laugh at this story other will just skip it altogether. Possibly the largest problem with this game is that it is only 5 hours long with no on line, but since the game now is the price of a wiiware game I guess that isn't a huge problem. Even though all these problems are true and in the game I am giving it a 6 because even though the game has its faults is also has many fun mini games, a variety of weapons, good local multi-player, an original idea, and most of the time fun fast paced shooting action. Now to recap I do not recommend this game to everyone, but to those who can accept its faults should definitely buy the game used or rent it. Expand
  48. Dec 17, 2010
    I wasn't really impressed with this game. I bought it because the comedic trailer made it look fun and pretty cool. That is until I played through the whole thing. The problems that I have is the health system. You die so easily, you will be over raged to break the TV screen. The aim is really difficult, I can never get my Wiimote balanced when I'm trying to kill someone. Some First PersonI wasn't really impressed with this game. I bought it because the comedic trailer made it look fun and pretty cool. That is until I played through the whole thing. The problems that I have is the health system. You die so easily, you will be over raged to break the TV screen. The aim is really difficult, I can never get my Wiimote balanced when I'm trying to kill someone. Some First Person Shooters are like that on the Wii. Plus the story was cheesy, so this game isn't so good. Expand
  49. truedat
    Jul 6, 2007
    This game is incredible at first, but gets boring really fast. Limited amount of weapons, horrible AI and choppy conrtoller motion take away from the not-so-bad storyline. All the levels are the same enemies, same weapons in a different setting. It has so much potential, especially with the sword fighting, but it's just an unpolished game. Definately expected more from ubisoft.
  50. Maslab
    May 21, 2008
    Fun at first, but sword fights are a pain to start and once you get the controls down, they're just way too easy. The only part I truly like about it is how the gun mechanics work, but the absence of an actual reticle is akward. Really only fun in the beginning, probably just a rental at best, a leave-it-alone in my solemn opinion.
    Points for actually making use of the motion
    Points for actually making use of the motion sensing in a good way.
  51. Jun 24, 2012
    I feel this game was like a Golden Eye 007 for 64 attempt while adding rails, the game is ok but it put me to sleep quick. I love the original 007 but this game is ridiculous. The controls are crap and i disliked the game all together. Deserves a 4 for effort.
  52. JackH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game plays like it was rushed out the door. The cut-scenes look like they were produced by interns, the sword scenes are reminiscent of PC games circa 1988 and the controls just don't work. save your money.
  53. CH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    The controls are twitchy, the sword fights are boring, the graphics are muddy, and the voice acting is bad (bad for an FPS even). The game had so much potential to be great it's a real heart break to see it fall flat on it's face. I wanted to enjoy this game so much, but I couldn't. For a better FPS on the Wii, check out Call of Duty 3.
  54. RayM.
    May 20, 2007
    For a FPS person, this game has a ton of potential (other than the storyline and c'mon...if you want a storyline, read a book...for me, I just want to shoot things). The controls are the most frustrating as they don't feel very intuitive. I think I would like to try the game if and when they made the gun for the wii-mote...so you can actually hold it like a gun and not fumble For a FPS person, this game has a ton of potential (other than the storyline and c'mon...if you want a storyline, read a book...for me, I just want to shoot things). The controls are the most frustrating as they don't feel very intuitive. I think I would like to try the game if and when they made the gun for the wii-mote...so you can actually hold it like a gun and not fumble around with it. As it is now...it feels like you are drunk trying to shoot people. The game actually made me feel nauseous at times. I didn't even get to the sword part and honestly, didn't care if it was bad or not...I want a good Wii FPS Expand
  55. PowerByAznLee
    Aug 12, 2007
    This game is not that good. i was hoping to be blown away with this game, but i couldnt imagine that this is game freakin weak!!... the graphic is like 007 Golden eye on N64. the sword fighting and shooting are retarded. the enemy is easy to kill. Rent this game first! Call of Duty 3 is way better easier to control. Res4 is even Better and way more fun!!!!
  56. Sep 18, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this game at all. The controls are totally not intuitive and don't feel natural for how a samurai would move. The gun is nearly impossible to aim. When get the game and hate it so much that I can't even bare to play it again after the first time, that can't even be considered a game, rather an expensive demo.
  57. ChrisS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone that the sword controls are a travesty, the story and voice acting a sin, and the guns aren't anywhere as good as "Call of Duty 3" Do yourself a favour and prey for a Star wars Light Saber game. Collapse
  58. DaveY.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The gun sensitivity is too high for my liking, I twitch and it goes and swings around 90 degrees and the sword sensitivity is too low for my liking, and it won't let me cut horizontally when I want to! It seems to me like it was so rushed that it was just a bunch of bits and pieces smashed together in to a passable game
  59. Oct 26, 2011
    I played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. SwordplayI played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. Swordplay is also much better in Nr.2 because of Motion Plus. I recommend to anyone to skip one and go straight to 2. You will get the story of 2 without having played 1. Expand
  60. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring theThis game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring the daughter of a very respected Asian gang. The problem is that a rival gang has killed your boss an stolen your fiance. That is the most lazy and reused idea EVER!!!!!! Its like zombies and vampires had a baby and the baby was born to play in a kart racer! This game was made just to show off the Wii's motion controls and that's it. This game is horrible and it shows with badly thought out game design and very little effect other than that when you move the Wii mote the sword moves almost a whole ten seconds after your actual movement. Avoid this game at all cost don't buy this for anything less than free. Expand
  61. JohnK.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game is horrible! The controls do not work that good and many people will quit right away because of the confusing controls! If you have the patience, then maybe it's worth a rental.
  62. Reuben
    May 26, 2007
    Red Steel tries to be the first of the hardcore Wii games, but falls woefully short. The controls, while intuitive, are often difficult and the Wii doesn't always sense exactly what you're doing, which makes for some frustrating fights. Plus you get stuck climbing stairs quite a bit. Firing a sniping weapon is an exercise in anger management; the aiming reticule barely zooms, Red Steel tries to be the first of the hardcore Wii games, but falls woefully short. The controls, while intuitive, are often difficult and the Wii doesn't always sense exactly what you're doing, which makes for some frustrating fights. Plus you get stuck climbing stairs quite a bit. Firing a sniping weapon is an exercise in anger management; the aiming reticule barely zooms, and you can't see anything around your tiny dot on a black screen. Realism is kept to a bare minimum. I don't know where they get forklifts for this game, but I've never seen one explode when struck with a single bullet. Gameplay aside, how about the graphics? Well, nothing there to redeem it either. The English is miserable, constantly bombarding the player with "EARN TEN RESPECTS", the word "respect" being the latest iteration of "point" in modern gaming. Props to the game, however, for correctly identifying its fan base: ADHD teenagers who buy wallscrolls and Dragonball figurines every time their parents give them money say "desu" a lot on internet forums. Expand
  63. AlexC.
    Dec 31, 2006
    This game SUCKS I have a Wii and have never played a game this bad the controls are really hard, and the sword fighting isnt much better.

1. It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.