Sonic and the Secret Rings Wii

• Release Date: Feb 20, 2007
6.7

1. Christa
    Oct 12, 2007
    I couldn't play this for more than an hour before I had to beg blockbuster to take it back, pretending it was damaged. It's so monotonous.
  2. TommyH.
    Dec 8, 2007
    The gameplay is OK, but there's a problem that the story doesn't show "the real sonic adventure" for the Sonic fans.
  3. BubbaS.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Wow - I purchased this game because the box says its multiplayer. Guess I should have read the reviews. Chopping logs just doesnt cut it my friends. Even the old Sonic 3 back in Genesis days had multiplayer. LAMO. Also we seem to be stuck in endless training and cant get to the "great" parts of the game with the great graphics and fun. Now, to be fair, we just picked up the game and my Wow - I purchased this game because the box says its multiplayer. Guess I should have read the reviews. Chopping logs just doesnt cut it my friends. Even the old Sonic 3 back in Genesis days had multiplayer. LAMO. Also we seem to be stuck in endless training and cant get to the "great" parts of the game with the great graphics and fun. Now, to be fair, we just picked up the game and my son has only been playing it for maybe an hour, but the endless and relentless - try jumming this time, try short jumps now, try walking backwards, now try bashing these guys.. ohh you missed one - you failed - redo the whole course...each seperated with 5 menus and totally annoying music ohhh man just burns me! We cant advance until we finish this Lost Prologue training thing which has you practicing moves in a vortex wormhole thing.. jeeze I thought we were past this kind of thing - just throw us into a real level already!??? We will figure it out! Wasnt that one of the cool things about sonic? Just throw you into a situation - up to you to figure it out. Much more interesting than having a jumping/bashing course shoved down your throat - we'll learn as we go people. Also how can people rate this game so highly with all the flaws? People say ohh yeah - if you dont need multiplayer and dont mind annoying music, and the unresponsive controls its great - 9! huh? Expand
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    If it wasn't so damn hard to control it would be a great game.
  5. Nov 4, 2012
    This game is great. Sure the controls aren't that responsive but it is a brilliant game. The first exclusive Sonic game for the wii has paid off and has put sonic back to his roots. The game has many missions and stages. The game also has storybook cutscenes and CGI cutscenes too. Sonic and the Secret rings also has an RPG element to it which works quite well. This game will keep youThis game is great. Sure the controls aren't that responsive but it is a brilliant game. The first exclusive Sonic game for the wii has paid off and has put sonic back to his roots. The game has many missions and stages. The game also has storybook cutscenes and CGI cutscenes too. Sonic and the Secret rings also has an RPG element to it which works quite well. This game will keep you playing for hours on end for it's missions, stages and the multiplayer which is all-right.The Soundtrack is very good and has a rock style to it which Sonic will love. Overall: Sonic and the Secret Rings is worth getting if your a sonic fan but it you don't like using the wii remote you won't like the game.A brilliant Package. Gameplay:7.5/10 Music:8.5/10 Graphics:8.5/10 Story:9/10 Replay Value:8.5/10 Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2013
    Meh...this game has it's ups and downs. The gameplay makes sense, but again, another look into a crossover. Aladdin and the Arabian Nights..yep...Sega went there. Well...no matter...the perspective of it seems great and all...but...ehhhhh. You find yourself constantly dying, but keep trying T: Nonetheless...let's get to the point...the controls...OH GOSH, THE CONTROLS...they burn my eyes.Meh...this game has it's ups and downs. The gameplay makes sense, but again, another look into a crossover. Aladdin and the Arabian Nights..yep...Sega went there. Well...no matter...the perspective of it seems great and all...but...ehhhhh. You find yourself constantly dying, but keep trying T: Nonetheless...let's get to the point...the controls...OH GOSH, THE CONTROLS...they burn my eyes. One little nudge and you go so fast, you can't stop. It's basically like a Sonic Adventure game. It's no Sonic 06, but I'll take this game over that. Still...in my thoughts, a good game.. Expand
  7. sdc
    Apr 3, 2015
    It's critical score is 69. That's a great start....
    Well, this game is good, not great, but good. We've got a very long campaign, with a good story, the presentation is sweet, and the gameplay worked very well. But of course, every good thing MUST have it's haters, for the sake of hating. Ugh.
  8. Aug 29, 2010
    Has a sonic lover, I thought the game in general was a nice fun spin off experience of the blue hedgehog. Yet, it never convinces you that this is the best gameplay for a sonic game, the sonic adventure formula remains being the better formula. This is mainly because the controls are not always responsive, that occasionally you will fail a stage because of the controls, not because youHas a sonic lover, I thought the game in general was a nice fun spin off experience of the blue hedgehog. Yet, it never convinces you that this is the best gameplay for a sonic game, the sonic adventure formula remains being the better formula. This is mainly because the controls are not always responsive, that occasionally you will fail a stage because of the controls, not because you were doing things wrong. Yet, it's still playable and it offers great opportunity to start very close to where you fall. It's definitely fast at times, and its definitely a thrilling ride all the way through that sonic fans should check out. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2012
    History is really no big deal. Not terrible, but more bad than good. Gameplay is bad compared to other good Sonic games. It's quite repetitive and boring. If the game had cutscenes, it would be a little bit more involving, but no, they decided to make it with pictures, and that sucks. Resuming: The game has a bad history, it's quite repetitive and not involving.
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    Most unplayable glitchy failure of a sonic game. I can't stand the controls. Graphically it looks horrible, and the physics don't work... Oh yeah, and its something that would've been made 10 years ago. Another disaster from sega. What a pity.
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    Decent, but weird plot. The level design is good, but that's where the appeal stops. While playing it, at first I enjoyed it. However, its when I put my controller down and the game kept on going when I realized the game plays itself. The multiplayer mode is like Mario Party's unsuccessful brother.
  12. Jun 13, 2011
    While it works on some degree, this is still a frustrating mess that only the most forgiving Sonic fan could have fun with, before I get to the bad of this game, I'll start with the few good things that this game has, there are some fun missions in the story mode, the graphics are decent, some of the mini games are fun and actually work, and the controls work some times, but the bad farWhile it works on some degree, this is still a frustrating mess that only the most forgiving Sonic fan could have fun with, before I get to the bad of this game, I'll start with the few good things that this game has, there are some fun missions in the story mode, the graphics are decent, some of the mini games are fun and actually work, and the controls work some times, but the bad far out ways the good, most of the story mode is a frustrating mess do to poor design choices and the controls which don't always work, and some of the mini games aren't fun and don't work like they should do to the controls, and the story is stupid and unenjoyable, honestly I can't recommend this to anyone other than die hard Sonic fans. Expand
  13. Ettörillö
    Mar 15, 2007
    Definitely a 10. I'm an adult player, I was born with the atari2600 and enjoyed the NES at the maximum expression. Well, never stop playing, little by little i saw how games were losing something that had the power to become them into an addictive pleasure. Since those years i haven't played a game like this, great design levels (what do you smoke SEGA guys?), so a-doq music, Definitely a 10. I'm an adult player, I was born with the atari2600 and enjoyed the NES at the maximum expression. Well, never stop playing, little by little i saw how games were losing something that had the power to become them into an addictive pleasure. Since those years i haven't played a game like this, great design levels (what do you smoke SEGA guys?), so a-doq music, great difficult not for little kids... and the best partof it, it invites you to try and try and try to get better & you get. Maybe this is the reason because most of the gamers underrated it, you must be a GREAT videogamer to enjoy the whole purpose. Sega, Clap Clap. Expand
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    If I had to change my opinion on this game, I'd say it a few words: It is trash. The end. If you're looking for a good Sonic Platformer, Try out either the Sonic Adventure Series, Sonic Colors or Generations. Heck even Shadow the Hedgehog is a much better game than this!
  15. Jun 7, 2011
    This is a HORRIBLE DISTURBANCE OF THE SONIC STORY LINE! Why would sonic READ anyway....(sigh) what the heck happened to get the freaking Chaos Emeralds???? Not a good game for die hard sonic fans...But good graphics!...
  16. Oct 6, 2013
    really bad controls but i got used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    This game was poorly done by Sega:

1. It's on rails last time I checked with this game all you do is moving the Wii remote left or right that is it they is nothing to it, nothing to the game too. 2. It does the game for you, it ends so easy. We all loved the old games Sega did back in Mega drive so why did you stop of making them and make them into this new game? It's a
    This game was poorly done by Sega:

2. It does the game for you, it ends so easy.

It's a shambles of a game next time I hope Sega does put more thought into their Sonic games as I won't be buying anymore if they like this on rails.

Waste of time of any ones, sorry Sega fans but this game is a complete disaster to say the least they is no fun using Sonic this lame way, don't buy it!
  18. May 6, 2014
    This game was an absolute recipe for disaster from the very start. Not even SMB Banana Blitz can top this. Sonic and the Secret Ring has to be the WORST game I have ever played in my entire life. And no, I haven't played Sonic 360/Sonic 06.

The story was ripped STRAIGHT from the Arabian Nights stories, the characters are kind of forgettable, and the cutscenes are jarring at best, and lazy at worst.

Now to the real reason why I gave this a 1/10: The control is TERRIBLE. Sure, I didn't mind it in Mario Kart Wii, but it's so awkward here, jumping included. You have to press B to stop and charge the jump. You STOP to charge a jump. This is Sonic the Hedgehog. But then I found out that you have to do missions to progress, which is just the same stages, with a different objective.

Also, there's a party mode that I don't care for.
  19. Feb 19, 2014
    I've played all of the sonic games and I say this game deserves to be in the dark age of sonic. I'm giving a deserving rating trhat this game isn't a bad sonic game. but its hell not a good one, If i rank sonic the hedgehog 06 at a 1 and sonic adventure 2 or battle a 10 this deserves a 5 its the inbetween of a bad game and an ok game. its a solid entry but not good enough to spark my interest
  20. Apr 8, 2014
    A modern Sonic game has enough going against it without starting it off with a long series or mind numbing tutorial tasks that can zap the fun out of even the biggest Sonic supporter.

While Sonic and the secret rings looks nice on the wii, It's hard to get past the ridiculousness of the strict tutorial that proceeds to make you relearn every game mechanic the has been created in the last 20 years. Combined that with a cumbersome menu system in the tutorial which instead of just automatically bumping you to the next lesson made you troll back and forward through unnecessary obstacles just to reach your next boring objective.

Secret Rings could have been something somewhat decent if it wasn't for pure interface design choices that just drains any enjoyment to be had.
  21. Nov 12, 2014
    This abomination of a 3D Sonic game is not worth the effort of even a freaking penny. If you get this game on your Wii/Wii U collection by paying any price that's above Free, Then your ripping yourself off dude. The game has a Terrible Story/ Terrible Music/ Terrible Levels and Controls that make Sonic Heroes controls look like Super Mario Sunshines controls. They only positive that I canThis abomination of a 3D Sonic game is not worth the effort of even a freaking penny. If you get this game on your Wii/Wii U collection by paying any price that's above Free, Then your ripping yourself off dude. The game has a Terrible Story/ Terrible Music/ Terrible Levels and Controls that make Sonic Heroes controls look like Super Mario Sunshines controls. They only positive that I can think of is that the Multiplayer is decent to play for friends and family. Other then that, It's pure garbage. Expand
  22. CodyS.
    Mar 8, 2008
    This game has great control once you get the hang of it. The graphics are pretty good for a Wii game. The only thing bad about this game is the controls don't work right sometimes and that gets very very hard in the middle of the game.
  23. AlexG.
    Mar 10, 2007
    So far it's a pretty good game. I haven' finished it yet but I've played it enough to get a good taste of the game. There are still aspects of it that need improving like the dialoge. And it's a little frustrating that you don't get the soul gauge until the 4th level, but overall it's a good experience that you can't just blast through like other Sonic games.
  24. JamesH.
    Mar 5, 2007
    Gameplay wise, its on to something, but as an individual who hasn't played a sonic game since the genesis I've come to find how much sonic has changed for the worse. More enjoyable with the sound off unless your still of the "Saturday morning cartoon" age. Maybe I missed something but does every Wii game have to have difficult controls? The worse part is that the controls Gameplay wise, its on to something, but as an individual who hasn't played a sonic game since the genesis I've come to find how much sonic has changed for the worse. More enjoyable with the sound off unless your still of the "Saturday morning cartoon" age. Maybe I missed something but does every Wii game have to have difficult controls? The worse part is that the controls aren't even interesting, they could easily be implemented on a normal controller. Why is backing up so hard for you sonic? If your over 15, your probably too old for this game. Nintendo really should try make their games more bearable for the "hit puberty and older" crowd. Expand
  25. DanC
    May 4, 2007
    Amazing graphics, lush gameplay, excellent use of the wiimote. pretty awful storyline, but it lasts ages and the party games are good. by far the best 3D sonic so far. BEST SONIC since sonic advance!
  26. CarlosD.
    May 9, 2007
    Very enjoyable game The controls are very nice. Sonic back to his fastest best. The only think I disliked is the the reverse movement. It does not feel natural. All in all a game that is recommended. Should have received better reviews.
  27. Twili-Knight
    Jun 10, 2007
    I found this a solid game, and quite a step up for the series. I found it used the Wii-mote well, and I believe that this game should be used as the BASIS for all future 3D Sonic games, however like Sonic Rush it has been grouped with an inferior partner and overlooked.
  28. SimonG.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Yes hard games are rare these days and we should have more of them. Yes this is probably the best Sonic in 3D. Yes the overall idea of it is good. However, this doesn
  29. SamP.
    Nov 5, 2007
    The idea and graphics were good. The execution wasn't. You feel as if you have no control over what you do. The controls are bad and unresponsive, and it's another game made that's too easy to appeal to children.
  30. VinceS.
    Feb 24, 2007
    Overall a great game. The story is pretty good (especially for a Sonic game), the levels are cool, and the different skill combinations is a really nice addition. However, I've docked a few points because of how frustrating the controls can be time and time again.
  31. stephenB
    Feb 24, 2007
    this game is fun, and i think it's a cool game. But it has some problems. like the carmra goes wack sometimes, and it gets you relly mad! if you go with your instinks and get to mad and throw the wii romote at the tv then please plase your storey on www.wiihaveaproblem.com
  32. MaxG.
    Mar 15, 2007
    I was so excited to discover that Sonic had appeared on the Wii that I didn't bother reading any reviews before I bought it. I really wish I had. While it retains the fast and furious level-racing that we all love about the franchise, a horribly annoying story and soundtrack ruin it. On top of that, you are returned to the menu screen after every level, which really detracts from I was so excited to discover that Sonic had appeared on the Wii that I didn't bother reading any reviews before I bought it. I really wish I had. While it retains the fast and furious level-racing that we all love about the franchise, a horribly annoying story and soundtrack ruin it. On top of that, you are returned to the menu screen after every level, which really detracts from gameplay, and the levels are built from the same pieces so you feel like you are racing through the same boring tracks the whole time. The multiplayer is so terrible I won't let my friends suggest it when we're playing on my Wii. I am going to trade it in for Rayman. Expand
  33. DustinB.
    Apr 6, 2007
    When it's good it's very good, and when it's bad you may want to snap the disk in half. There are moments and levels where you're racing through at breakneck speed bouncing of enemies and bumbers and it's a blast. Then there will be the levels where you're spending all your time walking backwards and fighting to the controls. Many of the levels are FAR to When it's good it's very good, and when it's bad you may want to snap the disk in half. There are moments and levels where you're racing through at breakneck speed bouncing of enemies and bumbers and it's a blast. Then there will be the levels where you're spending all your time walking backwards and fighting to the controls. Many of the levels are FAR to unforgiving, one tiny misstep and you've lost. It seems that some of the level designers didn't know what game they were making. Still, if you give the game a chance and power through some of the awful bits, there's a lot of fun to be had. It is a deeply flawed game, but also one with a lot of potential. Expand
  34. CraigM.
    Jul 2, 2007
    I bought this after playing sonic rush. I thought if that's how good sonic can be on the ds what will it be like on the wii? The answer unfortunately is garbage. The crappy control system ruins what is a fantastic looking game, the storyline is pants, the annoying voice over telling you what to do while the controls make it damn near impossible is enough to have throw the bloody I bought this after playing sonic rush. I thought if that's how good sonic can be on the ds what will it be like on the wii? The answer unfortunately is garbage. The crappy control system ruins what is a fantastic looking game, the storyline is pants, the annoying voice over telling you what to do while the controls make it damn near impossible is enough to have throw the bloody thing out the window! I only gave it a 1 because my son likes the party games. I kept it for 2 weeks and that's only because I didn't have the heart to give up on it sooner. Rent it first if you are at all tempted to buy it!! Expand
  35. MichaelP.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Hands down the best (read fastest) 3D Sonic ever.
  36. JoelF.
    Feb 22, 2007
    Poor level design, janky controls, keep this game from being all that was promised. In the end, this game shows once and for all that Sonic was never meant to be in 3D.
  37. LuisT.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Definitely a great game that helps bring Sonic back from the utter garbage that have been the last few console games. Best since SA on Dreamcast!
  38. YermakirumY.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Very good game.
  39. RobG.
    Mar 10, 2007
    This game creates moments of elation, like using Speed break to rush through a level, but also far too many moments of despair. The camera is dismal and the artsy angles and inability to manually change lead you to tear your hair out, especially when you need to go back wards. The levels are unrewarding, with little imagination; Try repeating the same level 10 times because you don't This game creates moments of elation, like using Speed break to rush through a level, but also far too many moments of despair. The camera is dismal and the artsy angles and inability to manually change lead you to tear your hair out, especially when you need to go back wards. The levels are unrewarding, with little imagination; Try repeating the same level 10 times because you don't know where to go. Controlling Sonic is also a nightmare too. To reverse you need to tilt the Wiimote on its back, which leaves all the buttons out of reach. Definitely try before you buy. Expand
  40. SteveM.
    Mar 31, 2007
    Sonic is ok. The story is poorly written, the controls are ok. The graphics are the best yet seen on the Wii. The mini games are mediocre. The worst part of the whole game is the fact it's an 80's on rails game updated. In this day and age I would have expected Sonic to be free roaming. Think on developers! I would rent this game only.
  41. KevinG.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Sonic needs to veer away from the "total 3-D" environment he's gotten dropped into and revert to what he does best: blazingly fast, side-scrolling action. The Secret Rings improves upon what has been done before on next-gen systems, but there's not enough refinement. It's just too hard to have speed and control when the camera is behind Sonic. Sonic hasn't been able to Sonic needs to veer away from the "total 3-D" environment he's gotten dropped into and revert to what he does best: blazingly fast, side-scrolling action. The Secret Rings improves upon what has been done before on next-gen systems, but there's not enough refinement. It's just too hard to have speed and control when the camera is behind Sonic. Sonic hasn't been able to move in all directions without the player losing track of where he/she is. Secret Rings tries to repair this problem by preventing you from turning around and keeping you on a track. The track thing I'm ok with, but WTF about not being able to turn around?! Especially when you fly past stuff you need! If that happens, you need to literally put the hedgehog in reverse and hope that you don't walk or jump into something. It's annoying, and it slows the game to a crawl. Sonic, go back to 2-D. SOON. Collapse
  42. JonS.
    Apr 23, 2007
    You basically hold the wiimote sideways and tilt it left and right to turn, then thrust it forward to jump. The clever developers put steps at the end of platforms to stop you walking off, but that would have been preferable to walking up to the step to jump, thrusting forward, hitting the step and not jumping. Because of the tilt turn mechanism, sonic has the turing circle of Africa, You basically hold the wiimote sideways and tilt it left and right to turn, then thrust it forward to jump. The clever developers put steps at the end of platforms to stop you walking off, but that would have been preferable to walking up to the step to jump, thrusting forward, hitting the step and not jumping. Because of the tilt turn mechanism, sonic has the turing circle of Africa, (and no reverse) so he falls of the side of the platform as you try to go back and have another go. When you do repeat the section you then over compensate and jump far too early so Sonic doesnt make any of the the longer jumps. over and over. Then you have to attack enemies by the use of the same thrusting gesture. 'Wait til the target goes Red then thrust' it tells you as you walk past the fucker and its not turned red from green and thats if you can see the fucking target. Fight and jump the same movement? WTF Not a game in any way shape or form, just a series of shitty frustrations only made worse by the completly piss poor use of the wiimote as any kind of control device. I honestly dont know how anyone associated with this can sleep at night with the knowledge that they made this game or even think it would be a good idea to release it. i cant give it any kind of rating, but i have to so it got a big fat Zero Expand
  43. PhillipV.
    May 27, 2007
    Very F'ing bad. The only reason that i gave it a three instead of a one or a zero is because it's a sonic game. Good job sega you f'ed up the sonic series, congrats.
  44. JamieC.
    Aug 27, 2007
    It's eye candy basically. Sure it looks nice but the game does all the flashy parts automatically for you and leaves you with the grudgings. It's a linear, on rails experience that asks you to steer left and right and jump. You will constantly find yourself tutting in anger as something so simple as walking backwards or even stopping is a major challenge in itself. Boring cut It's eye candy basically. Sure it looks nice but the game does all the flashy parts automatically for you and leaves you with the grudgings. It's a linear, on rails experience that asks you to steer left and right and jump. You will constantly find yourself tutting in anger as something so simple as walking backwards or even stopping is a major challenge in itself. Boring cut scenes, repetitive tasks and nothing making you want to play. It's only redeeming factors are the not so bad soundtrack, pleasing to the eye graphics and a good sense of speed and adrenaline but everything else has no soul. Gameplay, simply, doesn't exist. Expand
  45. CarlosA.
    Feb 29, 2008
    this game remember me when I play the donkey kong country series on the snes. A new game different than other sonic games like the repetitive sonic heroes and sonic the hedgehog 2006. We need more games of this kind to renew sonic popularity considering that sega have to use all the wii hardware for a exclusive version, not multiplattform games and mediocre graphics.
  46. joes
    Oct 5, 2009
    horrible story but what i like about this game is it's so cheesy that it's so FUNNY! the game is easy and that makes it a little fun.
  47. JoeyR
    Jun 24, 2009
    First off, as I have said time and time again, most of those that post bad reviews give reasons that don't have anything to do with the actual game. Admittedly, the prologue levels were tedious, but with the entirely new gameplay, I personally wouldn't have figured it out during the first level. Yes, the controls do work, surprise surprise. FYI, it takes the position your First off, as I have said time and time again, most of those that post bad reviews give reasons that don't have anything to do with the actual game. Admittedly, the prologue levels were tedious, but with the entirely new gameplay, I personally wouldn't have figured it out during the first level. Yes, the controls do work, surprise surprise. FYI, it takes the position your controller is in while the level is loading and sets that as neutral. Any problems are probably on your end. It's a very good game and the music is not as annoying as its made out to be. It's not monotonous and the levels do pertain to the story. I'm reeeally beginning to doubt whether most of you negative folks have EVER played this game. Honestly. The storyline is good and it appeals to people like me with in-game low attention spans. It's not a bad game. It's decent. It's fun. That's the only thing that matters. Get over it. Stop whining. Play this game, ignore reviewers that haven't played it, rate it based on what you think and not what others think for you, and have the time of your life. Expand
  48. JamesH
    Nov 18, 2007
    Wow, where do I begin. I own and love every other 3-d sonic game invented so far, but this one seems like just another attempt to include the wii's "innovative" control design into an already loved game that results in failure. Even the story is no good. During the opening cut scene I pretty much sat there with my mouth wishing it would end. And also, half the levels don'tWow, where do I begin. I own and love every other 3-d sonic game invented so far, but this one seems like just another attempt to include the wii's "innovative" control design into an already loved game that results in failure. Even the story is no good. During the opening cut scene I pretty much sat there with my mouth wishing it would end. And also, half the levels don't even pertain to the stupid story! Why do I have to go back through the same level and break 5 jars? and more importantly why do I have to go back through the level AGAIN but this time without breaking any jars??? Controls are clunky, and personally when I play wii games with the wii remote held sideways I usually hold facing towards me slightly, so in this game half the time I'm going backwards. Bottom line: 2 hours in, I quit playing and went and did my pre-calc homework. The one thing I do admire is the visuals, and it does occupy your time if you're bored. Expand
  49. ClayA.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Sonic and the Secret Rings has yet again served little more than to disappoint. The cons of the game? Most importantly, there are factors that seem to continually hinder the main selling point of the game - the speed. The entire catylitic concept of the whole Sonic series is the speed. I find it frustrating that I have too little control over it, and its almost impossible to maintain a Sonic and the Secret Rings has yet again served little more than to disappoint. The cons of the game? Most importantly, there are factors that seem to continually hinder the main selling point of the game - the speed. The entire catylitic concept of the whole Sonic series is the speed. I find it frustrating that I have too little control over it, and its almost impossible to maintain a consistent, ever-increasing speed throughout a given stage. Add that to the minimal interaction and linear gameplay of the Adventure mode, throw in the repetitive, sometimes boring maps that get old quickly... and you have a tough recipe to make a great game out of. The pros of Sonic & TSR are by far the music, graphics and innovation. The gameplay can be a bit clunky at times, but the controls are fun. Great graphics for the most part, as comparable to the rest of the Sonic series. The music was a surprise as well, making it a fresh highlight. Those elements intertwined well with the unique level designs, and made it more interesting. All in all, a cool game to check out, but readily forgettable. Its only saving grace are the many minigames and unlockables, which may boost the replay value and offer a bit of a respite from the main mode's repetition and frustration. Expand
  50. LKnight
    Feb 26, 2007
    I think this game is severely underrated - great sense of speed, great control once you get used to it, tons of unlockables, fun minigames, great level design, etc etc. the RPG-esque leveling-up of sonic and getting new moves makes you want to keep playing as well. This game is easily better than both wario ware and excite truck, and the best sonic since Sonic Rush for the DS.
  51. JustinG.
    Mar 11, 2007
    Ok, first thing you should do is go read IGN's review cause they hit it dead on the head. This game looks good, has a good idea with game play, and is really amazing when it works. However, when it doesn't work, you feel like punching whoever designed the game. When you start out Sonic plays horrible. The learning curve for the controls is hard and even when you get good at it, Ok, first thing you should do is go read IGN's review cause they hit it dead on the head. This game looks good, has a good idea with game play, and is really amazing when it works. However, when it doesn't work, you feel like punching whoever designed the game. When you start out Sonic plays horrible. The learning curve for the controls is hard and even when you get good at it, you will often be thwarted by the developers stupidity. For instance, you will be racing. Then suddenly Sonic is locked into a room and forced to fight enemies which he has already passed by. Does sonic turn around and race back to deal with them...no, instead sonic has to backstep alllllll the way back (without a camera change so you can see what he's backstepping towards mind you) Provided that your lucky and don't back up into an enemy with a sword, then you can kill your enemies and proceed. This is probably the one major flaw of the game - you will find in some places the developers didn't either polish the camera angles up or make the controls actually intuitive. I felt writing a letter to the developers cause sometimes I was so angered by what an AMAZING game they could have had. Instead they get an often enjoyable one that is more than occasionally frustrating. This game reeks of "omg, we're spending too much money on this game. Lets just finish it up for deadline and see if we get enough money to make a better sequel" - that said, if there is a predecessor (where they actually polish it up and take some pride in thier product) then I am SO going to buy that game. Cause although it was annoying, when this game is working, it is one addictive game. Expand
  52. PeterC.
    Apr 12, 2007
    So far I have played this game and I am on the second. This game is fun, but i there are some flaws. First of all i still don't have the soul gauge (hear you get it on the fourth level). Second off Sonic goes to slow, and everytime he jumps he slows down. ( hear he runs faster later on in the game). This game is frustrating at the start, but it seems more rewarding later on.
  53. MaxM.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Good game but the start is too slow and boring, does get better towards the end but there are better games out there.
  54. ChrisC
    Dec 31, 2009
    This is one of my favorite Sonic games to date. However, this is coming from a guy who thinks that the only time Sonic had a really bad deal with with that Sonic 360 game. That's honestly the only bad one. Sonic Heroes was great. Both Adventure games were great. This one, plus The Black Knight was were both great. You know, people need to lessen expectations on Sonic games. This game This is one of my favorite Sonic games to date. However, this is coming from a guy who thinks that the only time Sonic had a really bad deal with with that Sonic 360 game. That's honestly the only bad one. Sonic Heroes was great. Both Adventure games were great. This one, plus The Black Knight was were both great. You know, people need to lessen expectations on Sonic games. This game keeps it very simple. There are tricky spots with the controls where you need to slow down in order to advance, but honestly, Sonic games were never ALL about speed. Sure, he's the blue blur; I get it, the world's fastest hedgehog yadda yadda and speed is his staple, I know. But if you recall, Sonic 3 wasn't all that fast, and that was the second best 2D sonic game ever (first best being Sonic CD). Before I rant too much, give this game a chance. You'll be very pleased. This game ruled. It really did. Expand
  55. Nov 14, 2010
    By Far my favorite sonic game this generation, it took many aspects of SEGA as a whole to create a wonderful experience. For Once in a sonic game, The Cast of Characters was insignificant allowing room for more focus on the gameplay of the one playable character, Sonic, to be frank who hasn't had such a game since Sonic 3D blast over 10 years ago. The StoryBook team seemed to take aBy Far my favorite sonic game this generation, it took many aspects of SEGA as a whole to create a wonderful experience. For Once in a sonic game, The Cast of Characters was insignificant allowing room for more focus on the gameplay of the one playable character, Sonic, to be frank who hasn't had such a game since Sonic 3D blast over 10 years ago. The StoryBook team seemed to take a radically different approach here; choosing to use corporate history rather than mascot history in it's development. The On-rails arcade action was in my eyes a vast improvement for the sonic series considering many of the 3D games coming before it. The Added RPG element however was a bit of a hindrance, although finally achieving that sonic speed is an effort well earned while playing through the game. Another plus in it's lineup were the visuals in which for the time, were stellar from a 3rd party company. The cut-scenes although not CGI, added to the story element of the game, which for me was for all the better. The one MAJOR roadblock in the game for many players was the bi-polar difficulty encountered progressively through the game. If your looking for a better than average sonic game, with a bit of challenge, this is your game. Expand
  56. May 4, 2013
    I've played almost all the sonic games, and I have to say this is probably the worst. It's the controls that kill it. In what could have been seen as a brave move by the developers the player controls sonic by holding the wi-mote horizontally and steering sonic like a car. Sounds good in theory, but unfortunately it's like steering an old car with broken steering and no reverse gear.I've played almost all the sonic games, and I have to say this is probably the worst. It's the controls that kill it. In what could have been seen as a brave move by the developers the player controls sonic by holding the wi-mote horizontally and steering sonic like a car. Sounds good in theory, but unfortunately it's like steering an old car with broken steering and no reverse gear. Controls aren't nearly responsive enough, and the hit-and-miss homing attack will have you tearing your hair out in frustration and you fall to your death time after time. For the life of my I can't understand why the devs didn't allow alternative control schemes, such as the classic control or even steering sonic with the nun-chuck. Mario Kart does this, Sonic and the secret rings doesn't. Some good ideas here but at the end of the day the controls are virtually a game-breaker. Expand
  57. Feb 21, 2013
    this game is ok, but i personally do not like it. I dont like the controls, as well as i dont generally care for the way the game is designed. I definitely wouldnt call this a bad sonic game, I would probobly give it a 7/10 as a game, but i personaly did not enjoy this game. i liked the level up concept, alot actually. And the graphics and music were pretty good as well. But i really dontthis game is ok, but i personally do not like it. I dont like the controls, as well as i dont generally care for the way the game is designed. I definitely wouldnt call this a bad sonic game, I would probobly give it a 7/10 as a game, but i personaly did not enjoy this game. i liked the level up concept, alot actually. And the graphics and music were pretty good as well. But i really dont care for the on rail mechanic, as well as the controls. if this game had controls similair to sonic and the black knight (you know, minus the swordplay) i think this game would actually be decent. but the controls are too akward and unresponive. Not a bad game, but one of my personal least favorite sonic games. Expand
  58. May 26, 2013
    I've had my share of bad Sonic games: Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, even Sonic Heroes wasn't that good to me. But none of them come as close as this abomination of a Sonic game. The plot for the game is very far out there: I've seen pretty crazy concepts for plots before, but nothing like Sonic going into a story book to save the Arabian Nights. The new characters in here are just as bad.I've had my share of bad Sonic games: Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, even Sonic Heroes wasn't that good to me. But none of them come as close as this abomination of a Sonic game. The plot for the game is very far out there: I've seen pretty crazy concepts for plots before, but nothing like Sonic going into a story book to save the Arabian Nights. The new characters in here are just as bad. Shahra is very poorly developed, and Erazor is one of the worst villains I've ever seen in a video game. the gameplay doesn't help either. It gets very repetitive when all Sonic can do is go constantly forward, and go left and right in a straight pattern, and the control use of turning the wiimote forward and sideways to move around feels extremely unnatural. The graphics, even for an early wii game, aren't that great at all. the characters look like plastic, and the environments look very bland. Another thing I absolutely hate is party mode. the party mode in this game tries so hard to be a Mario party clone, and it fails terribly at that. Even with all these things, however, there is one thing I can say is fairly decent about the game: the soundtrack. Most Sonic games have soundtracks ranging from good to amazing, and this one is no exception. I don't really like the main theme of the game, but everything else about the game is pretty catchy. But even with a good soundtrack, Sonic and the Secret Rings manages to fail terribly on story, gameplay, and control. this is by far the worst Sonic game I've ever played, and I highly recommend staying away from it. Expand
  59. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When nintendo anouced the wii, SEGA made one of the most underrated sonic games ever, Sonic And the secret rings. I really enjoyed this game In fact I read a bunch of reviews before buying it and saw some people comparing it to sonic 06, REALLY? anyway, let's get to the game, first off the story, this game is not your average sonic game instead of being in the regular sonic universe sonic is in an Arabian knights based setting, this game started what was known as the sonic storybook series which were two storybook based games on the wii. All of the characters like tails, knuckles, eggman, etc, are Arabian knights lookalikes and are referred to as names of characters from the legendary story. this is a sonic game where eggman is not the villain, the villian is an evil genie named Erazer who wants to erase the Arabian knights world forever. I really like this story and think that it's a great spinoff for the sonic series, this game is about as simular to sonic games, as super mario sunshine is to mario games, it's a completely new environment and the only thing remaining from the series are rings, that's it. Now moving on to the gamplay, This game uses the wii remote sideways and you tilt the wii remote left and right to steer sonic, it's like playing a racing game on the wii with just the wii remote. you jump by pressing the 2 button, and do a homing attack by thrusting the wii remote forward. yes I admit that these are not the best controls in any sonic game ever, but they are at least decent and fully playable. This game has some of the best level design in a sonic game, levels like sand oasis, and levitated ruin are all great, the graphics are some of the best on the wii and this was the best looking game on the wii at the time of it's release. and the music is great, I love seven rings in hand It's one of my favorite songs in a sonic game. now here's some things that I don't like in the game, sometimes it can get really frustrating, I mean one mission in pirate storm took me over 3 days to complete with about 80 attempts, And I really did not like that mission at all. and you don't just play stages like in the other sonic games, there are about 10 missions and you have to complete about 7 of them before you can unlock the next world, The first mission is run to the goal like a basic sonic stage, but after that, their will be some frustrating and horrible missions where you have to make it to the goal without defeating any enemies, or don't break any jars, or defeat a set number of enemies. And then there are the bosses which are okay, they're basic bosses in 3d sonic games, you just hit the weak spot a couple of times then you're done. and then there's party mode, it's basically a Mario party game but with sonic characters in it, it's like sonic shuffle all over again, only this time it was fun, yes it's not as good as the mario party series, but it's very close. Sonic and the secret rings is one of my favorite sonic games, and one of the most underrated sonic games ever, just because it came after sonic 06 doesn't mean that it's anything like sonic 06. I highly recommend this to all sonic fans. Expand
  60. Nov 6, 2013
    This was my first Sonic Wii game ever. I had tons of fun, playing multiplayer with my youngest brother and going through the eight levels and fighting the bosses. The upgrading process is cool. I love this game and I always will. Go Sonic.
  61. May 7, 2015
    This one is... Interesting! The unusual controls are something that can be adapted too with enough time, even if I feel this is an over-emphasis on this motion controls. Being on the rails in a platformer has worked in the past, and could've worked here, what's the problem? 1. Making me backtrack to continue in a stage where moving backwards is a trial, and the camera doesn't turn aroundThis one is... Interesting! The unusual controls are something that can be adapted too with enough time, even if I feel this is an over-emphasis on this motion controls. Being on the rails in a platformer has worked in the past, and could've worked here, what's the problem? 1. Making me backtrack to continue in a stage where moving backwards is a trial, and the camera doesn't turn around so I'm constantly running into things I couldn't have possibly seen coming. 2. Trapping me in tiny rooms where I must homing attack annoying enemies to leave, and all Sonic wants to do is run into the wall, if Sonic controlled more like the usual 3D Sonic game with a bit of motion control here and there, than this game would be much more fun, but as it can get extremely frustrating in the later levels, I won't be coming back in a hurry. Great Visuals and Soundtrack though. Expand
  62. Jul 26, 2014
    This is a good game. it isn't great but it is still a good game. I would recommend it but note that the controls are kinda crappy. Overall it is an alright game.
  63. Aug 22, 2014
    I really hate this game it's boring to play or watch i'd rather play shadow the hedgehog than this steaming pile of poop. The story sucks the controls suck and the one good thing is party mode
  64. Dec 20, 2014
    I really am stumped as to why Secret Rings in the only console game in the series between SA2 and Colors that's considered "At least playable" since it's the only one that I considered unplayable, yes even more so then Sonic 06. It all boils down to control, in Sonic 06, I can at least control my speed and what I'm doing, Secret Rings on the other hand, it's controls are gimmicky andI really am stumped as to why Secret Rings in the only console game in the series between SA2 and Colors that's considered "At least playable" since it's the only one that I considered unplayable, yes even more so then Sonic 06. It all boils down to control, in Sonic 06, I can at least control my speed and what I'm doing, Secret Rings on the other hand, it's controls are gimmicky and mangled as hell; this in turn makes the game unplayable to me. It is the single worst 3D Sonic game and one of the worst Sonic games I have ever played. Expand
  65. Mar 10, 2015
    Yes this may not be a classic sonic game, but it is very enjoyable and you really should play it if you like sonic game. I really enjoy this game, but there are a few missions that can be a little boring like the dinosuar mission. This also may sound weird but use a wii wheel. Trust me it is MUCH better.
  66. Mar 10, 2016
    A well made Sonic game with great level design, responsive controls, and plausible presentation that is sadly gimped by terrible progression, tedious missions, and an onslaught of bland boss fights. Still, it's worth checking out if you can brave the inconsistent storms of near game-breaking design choices.
  67. May 14, 2016
    This game has got bad graphics for 2007 and terrible storyline , but Sonic And The Black Knight is good , Sonic and The Secret Rings is **** . This is one of the worst game in Sonic Series , but Sonics Schoolhouse , Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric and Sonic Shuffle worse than Sonic and The Secret Rings . Many People loves Sonic and The Secret Rings , but I hate this game . I dont like this gameThis game has got bad graphics for 2007 and terrible storyline , but Sonic And The Black Knight is good , Sonic and The Secret Rings is **** . This is one of the worst game in Sonic Series , but Sonics Schoolhouse , Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric and Sonic Shuffle worse than Sonic and The Secret Rings . Many People loves Sonic and The Secret Rings , but I hate this game . I dont like this game . In this game Knuckles is Sinbad . 4/10 . Expand

#7 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#55 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. An encouraging sign that good Sonic games can still be made. I had a tremendous time exploring the different stages and the skill points add a bit of depth to an otherwise straightforward game.
    Although Sega deserves praise for Secret Rings' innovative single-player adventure, the less said about the four-player party mode, the better. It's another low-budget "Mario Party" rip-off that stretches out a few weak gameplay concepts into multiple multiplayer contests.
  3. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    By no means perfect, but it's still a fantastic game that finally gives the blue blazer the sort of fast-paced, slick action he deserves. It's tricky to master but once you do it really shines. [Mar 2007, p.62]