Sonic Colors Wii

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2010
8.5

1. Oct 22, 2016
    While this is a lot better than some of the other titles in the Sonic series I can't say it's the "return of Sonic". As much as I think it is a step in the right direction it's just way too mediocre for me to give it the praise others have been. There are some levels that I had a lot of fun with but there were a large amount of levels that made me want to not even finish the game. TheWhile this is a lot better than some of the other titles in the Sonic series I can't say it's the "return of Sonic". As much as I think it is a step in the right direction it's just way too mediocre for me to give it the praise others have been. There are some levels that I had a lot of fun with but there were a large amount of levels that made me want to not even finish the game. The times I did find myself dying a lot never felt fair. Like one part where when I tried to double jump half the time nothing would happen. Or when I was on one of those trampoline things and it just stops abruptly. That's not a death you can prevent, it's just bad design. I think the reason people give it the praise that they do is that it's not as bad as Sonic 06. That's really what the game is. Not as bad as Sonic 06. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2015
    I say this is like unleashed but worse. the gameplay is the same and thank god for that and the music is awesome, but there are somethings I am angry about.

Sonic's voice- Roger Craig Smith sucks as Sonic

Wisps- Just gets in the way (In my opinion)

That is my review
  3. Mar 19, 2014
    Sonic Colours in my opinion is a mixed bag, there are things i really like such as the presentation and gameplay but for some reason that i cant really understand so until i can figure out these issues 6.2/10
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    While many people really do enjoy Sonic Colors, I can't seem to really enjoy it myself. When I played the first few levels of the game back in 2012, I actually thought that the game was really good. But now it's 2013, And I have completed both Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World and I now own Sonic Colors for myself and well, let's just say the experience is less then stellar. Now letWhile many people really do enjoy Sonic Colors, I can't seem to really enjoy it myself. When I played the first few levels of the game back in 2012, I actually thought that the game was really good. But now it's 2013, And I have completed both Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World and I now own Sonic Colors for myself and well, let's just say the experience is less then stellar. Now let me say that the game isn't my cup of tea, I'm not calling it bad as I'm just saying that I personally don't like it/care for it. The game has nothing wrong with it gameplay wise as Sonic controls smoothly and fine, but it's how the game is designed that gets me. The game's levels are very bleak and bland and I never feel like I'm having any fun. The levels move by awkwardly and it just feels like they don't have much soul. Sonic Colors doesn't have that sort of extra oomph that other modern Sonic games like Unleashed, Generations and Lost World have. It feels bleak and boring throughout the game because it doesn't feel like the game is trying anything innovative, new or full of soul. It just feels like a very messy game with controllable gameplay but an awkward and boring atmosphere with it being topped off with very bleak, linear and unfun and unjoyful game/level design. While Sonic Colors may control well and at least act like a Sonic game, it is filled to the brim with boring and awkward choices with the game and level design. Now as I said in the beginning of this review, I'm not saying that the game is bad but I'm just saying that I don't really care for it as it doesn't have that oomph that other Sonic games have that in the end makes it just really dull. Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2013
    Ah yes, Sonic the hedgehog.. One of my personal favorite franchises out there. I played many games in the past and most I really enjoyed where others didn't (Like Shadow the Hedgehog or even Sonic 2006).
    This game, however, seems to be getting way more attention than it should. It's not a truly bad games by any means, but it's not the ''perfect'' 3D Sonic game that some people make it out to be. You can read why in this mini review :)
    First off, the graphics. I have to admit, for a Wii game this is VERY impressive. The Colors (No pun intended lol :P) are just glorious and one of the stages is really bright and beautiful to look at.
    For the models from Sonic and his pal Tails in this game.. It could be worse. But that's the only bad thing I have to say about the graphics since they are pretty good.
    Next up are the controls and the gameplay mechanics. This is where the game falls flat for me. You control Sonic with the Wiimote and Nunchuck combination which controls pretty good and naturally.. until you uncover the Wisp Powerups. They require you to shake the Wiimote/Nunchuck at the most annoying times and they don't last very long. You have several Wisps in the game; For instance, you have the Yellow Wisp that lets you drill under the ground. Fun, but if you don't pay attention to the time you are allowed underground you may find yourself dying. Next is the Cyan Wisp that let's you zip along certain points in the level. Convenient and sometimes fun to activate it at random points. There are many more out there like the Blue Wisp and the Purple Wisp, but i'm not going to describe them since I only have this much space for the review :P. The game is also very short. With only six worlds to explore it's not much of a challange. If you want to rush through it you will be done in less than three hours Pathetic. After you beat the game you may want to collect the Red Coins scattered throughout the levels but does anyone actually have the patience to do that? They played all the levels before and the level design isn't that good unfortunately..
    Next up is the storyline. Most Sonic games that i've played so far have a pretty decent storyline (Anyone remember the awesome story in SA2Battle?) but the storyline here just feels.. empty. I know its supposed to aim for younger kids, but come on. The story here is that Eggman builds some sort of space theme park as an excuse for his past ''mistakes''. Sonic and Tails don't trust this, of course, and they head out into space to investigate. Yeaah.. really simple and the plot doesn't thinken anywhere later in the game. Pretty lame.
    Next up is the soundtrack. As usual in all Sonic games (even if they are considered horrible) the soundtrack of most Sonic games is very good and memorable. Even today in 2013 people talk about the Green Hill Zone soundtrack from the first Sonic game or the awesome Live and Learn theme from Sonic Adventure 2. And to be fair, the soundtrack in this game.. isn't half bad. It's actually pretty good.
    ''Reach for the Stars'' is a fantastic theme song and the Starlight Carnival stage has the best stage themed music in the game. As for the rest.. they are good, of course like always, but not amazing.
    Which is a shame, because I actually really enjoyed ALL the soundtrack in the previous game, Sonic Unleashed. But again, Reach for the Stars and Starlight Carnival make up for the lack of other memorable music in the game.
    Overall opinion: Yeah, you may have noticed that i'm not to fond of Sonic Colors. The lack of interesting story, the overal short experience and the lack of memorable music in the game just had me say ''mweh'' when I defeated the final boss. It's not the WORST Sonic game out there, but it's just so laughably mediocre that I would suggest you try out Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 first The two first true 3D Sonic games and both are fantastically amazing to play through.

+ Awesome graphics
    + Some Music Pieces are amazing..
    - While most of the Music Pieces are just not that good enough.
    - Lack of a good story
    - Linear and boring level design

Overal Score: 5.5
  6. Jan 19, 2013
    This is -- finally -- a solid step in the right direction for the Sonic game developers. I won't say it's amazing, but it is good. I'm always looking for entertainment, and I'd say this gave me that. Of course, I got bored eventually, but I got my fair share of joyfull, color-crazy, good old hedgehog gaming. Worth a try...perhaps not a buy. If I may suggest renting it?
  7. Sep 24, 2012
    If there is one Sonic game that I have played that is incredibly overrated, it is Sonic Colors for the Nintendo Wii. There's already a problem. The game is a Wii exclusive. This game would've looked MUCH better if it was on the 360 or PS3. All of the Sonic and Wii fanboys say the game looks good but there is a MAJOR difference between graphics and overuse of color texture. It was just aIf there is one Sonic game that I have played that is incredibly overrated, it is Sonic Colors for the Nintendo Wii. There's already a problem. The game is a Wii exclusive. This game would've looked MUCH better if it was on the 360 or PS3. All of the Sonic and Wii fanboys say the game looks good but there is a MAJOR difference between graphics and overuse of color texture. It was just a sad attempt to make the Wii look good while in reality, the Wii is just a repackaged Gamecube. Besides that, the game is waaaaaaay too gimmicky. You get to use powerups from strange aliens called Wisps who are getting kidnapped by Eggman. These powerups allow you to bounce across the stage like an idiot, drill under the ground as if jumping from platform to platform was too much, and so much more unoriginal garbage. Some of the level designs are not bad, but they get completely ruined as soon as the gimmicks take over the entire level. Overall, do not listen to any of the people who say DIS GAIM IS SO AWESUM, SAWNIC IS BACK even though Sonic is not back, and will not be for a long time. That should most likely give you a hint on what I think of Sonic Generations. Expand
  8. Jun 4, 2012
    You know, I preferred when Sonic was trying to do something new like in DX and was not some nostalgic, pathetic grasp for what has been in the 90's, holding on to the "glory" years of Sega and Sonic, never able to let go, stuck in the past forever trying to recreate that experience. Sonic fans need to grow up and stop being otistic - sonic games are no longer fun today, they are justYou know, I preferred when Sonic was trying to do something new like in DX and was not some nostalgic, pathetic grasp for what has been in the 90's, holding on to the "glory" years of Sega and Sonic, never able to let go, stuck in the past forever trying to recreate that experience. Sonic fans need to grow up and stop being otistic - sonic games are no longer fun today, they are just shadows of what once was. This game particularly shouts "the same fun as the genesis games!" as if that was a good thing. But looking past this, the game itself takes about 4 hours to complete, despite the many levels, and is utterly forgettable. Your eyes will be wide open during those 4 hours, as the stages are fast, furious and just fun. Greatly designed, great gameplay. But that does not make a brilliant game. And I am sorry that all this effort has been put to waste, but it's still a mediocre game - and the genesis ones are STILL better! Which is the truly funny part of the entire story. That for such a lower budget and effort the superior game was still that one, and that sonic has still failed to capture what it once had. Just let go, miserable sega otistics, just let go.. Expand
  9. Feb 27, 2012
    Sonic Colors tried. It really did. The problem is that it didn't execute.

The wisps are a cute idea, and they actually work out pretty well in practice - they're mostly interesting, and while some are rather lame, the drill and laser wisps are very interesting. The unfortunate thing is that the game itself is not very good. 3D sonic still sucks, and the problem becomes increasingly
    Sonic Colors tried. It really did. The problem is that it didn't execute.

The unfortunate thing is that the game itself is not very good. 3D sonic still sucks, and the problem becomes increasingly apparent as you play this game. What's wrong with 3D sonic is that they try to make the levels look cool, but this makes it much harder to actually PLAY because its hard to see what you're doing. 2D sonic is okay, but he, too, has his problems.

Indeed, one of the biggest problems with this game is that it tries so hard to look cool it forgets you're playing it. There are a number of levels where you effectively don't control sonic for 30 seconds at a time - some of them basically start with a "cutscene" of sonic running for a long period of time which is unskippable and pointless. Worse, these are often interspersed with levels, and at some points in the game you feel more like a spectator than an actual participant. And then, if you do manage to die in the seconds where you have control, you get to watch it all over again. Or you know, if you try to get 100% completion, a truly miserable experience as the game oddly punishes you for going fast.

This is not to say there isn't some fun to be had in the game, but people who hail this as Sonic's grand return are fooling themselves - there are a handful of solid levels, but a lot of them are merely okay and there are plenty of bad levels towards the end of the game which make the flaws of the game all the more apparent.

There is one highlight, though: The bosses in this game are actually well designed and enjoyable to beat, even if they were generally too easy.
  10. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to be a fanboy here like a bunch of the people here claiming it's the return of sonic are. I'm going to come right out and say it. It's nothing too special. It's one of the better sonic games, but not the best, but at least it was better than Unleashed. It's not the return of sonic. It's getting there, but it's not there yet. I'm going to say everything else was good except the things I list off here.
    1. Comedy: A bit of comedy was added into the game, but it wasn't anything that got more than a tiny smile to show on my face. If they try it, at least re-write it to actually get some laughs.
    2. This is the big game killer here. You know what it is? The wisps. The thing the game revolves around killed it. You may now be thinking I'm just close-minded kid with no clue what I'm talking about and are about to say this review isn't helpful simply because of that, and I don't mind, so long as the people actually looking for a serious review see this. Honestly, the less twists in these sonic games the better, and like the big clunky sword in black knight or the werehog in unleashed, the wisps are no exception to the now expected game ruining twist. I'm fine with powerups (like the shields and such), so long as they don't affect you doing the classic running at high speeds through a level, which is exactly what most of the wisps seem to do. Sure, some keep you moving fast, but you're not running fast, you're doing whatever the ability is letting you do at the time.
    3. Sonic is the only playable character: While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, a bit of variety is always good should it be done right (such as in the case of SA2, and not as in the case of Sonic 06')
    4. Uncreative bosses. Honestly, if you look through the game, there are only three total bosses, and one is eggman at the end. They try passing the bosses off as different ones by adding different colors to them and giving them an extra ability, rather than trying to actually make a new boss entirely like they seemed to do even in the bad sonic games.
    5. The 3D-2D switches: It can be entertaining at times with the switch, but on the contrary to what most I see believe, 3D actually works the best for sonic, since you have more freedom to move where you wish. What's the point of moving at high speeds if you are confined in a 2D space? Sure 2D worked back then, but it shouldn't be here in a modern-day sonic title.
    -----All in all, it's a rent. Sonic's getting there though as far as finally appearing in a good game, and he should be at full recovery soon should things go well. Maybe even in generations, but we'll see.

#3 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#6 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Feb 2, 2011
    If you have enjoyed previous Sonic games but were hesitant to pick this one up because of the most recent Sonic outings, worry no more. Sonic Colors is worth the price of admission.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 15, 2011
    Fast side-scrolling Sonic successfully combines the "classic" platformer with 3D action. Colorful environments and nice level design make new Sonic really catchy. [Issue#199]
  3. Jan 13, 2011
    Sonic Colors is hands-down the best Sonic title to be released in nearly a decade, and definitely one of the best titles to hit the Wii in the past year.