• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
5.8

1. Oct 20, 2010
    Super Monkey Ball is actually worse with the Wii controls than with the regular controller. As always, you tilt the course around to try and get your monkey to the goal. In this game, they incorporate boss battles and have fifty minigames to play. The main game itself is still a lot of fun and the tilting works okay, if a little tricky. What drags it down is the terrible boss battles thatSuper Monkey Ball is actually worse with the Wii controls than with the regular controller. As always, you tilt the course around to try and get your monkey to the goal. In this game, they incorporate boss battles and have fifty minigames to play. The main game itself is still a lot of fun and the tilting works okay, if a little tricky. What drags it down is the terrible boss battles that have no right to exist in this kind of game and by far are the most frustrating part of the game, except for the minigames. Out of the fifty minigames included, maybe five of them are fun to play due to absolutely terrible controls and lack of sophistication. The new Monkey Ball can be fun at times, but due to some major annoyances brings the series way downhill. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2011
    The thing that surprised me the most about this game is the controls, they work wonderfully during the single player campaign, but they don't always work on the mini games, the graphics are great, and the sound is good, the real problem with this game is the fact that a lot of the mini games are boring, but all in all this is one of my favorite Wii games, and one I would really recommend.
  3. May 4, 2013
    I have no problems with this game at all apart from the contols. The controls can only be described as abysmal. I found it far to difficult to jump over even the smallest of gaps. Also the way the game never tells you how to do things. I was stuck on the first boss for ages simply because I had no idea what to do. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz gets such a low mark for these reasons only,I have no problems with this game at all apart from the contols. The controls can only be described as abysmal. I found it far to difficult to jump over even the smallest of gaps. Also the way the game never tells you how to do things. I was stuck on the first boss for ages simply because I had no idea what to do. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz gets such a low mark for these reasons only, they're that bad. This has to be the worst game I've played for the Wii (I sold my copy on eBay last year and I feel sorry for the poor sod that bought it). Expand
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    I loved the first two Super Monkey Ball games for the Gamecube. I was excited to play this game, but ended up returning it within a week.

This was one of the launch titles for the Wii, and the controls show it. Some of the minigames are nearly impossible to control, and across the game there's a gimmicky over-use of the Wii Remote's motion sensors. All of the fun minigames from 1 & 2 are gone, replaced by more, smaller minigames. The most fun minigame for me was Rock-Paper-Scissors, which should give you an idea of the complexity and enjoyment value of the others.

The graphics weren't bad for their time, but they look very childish.

The story mode is the only redeeming factor, as it is similar to that of SMB2, but the ability to jump makes most stages too easy. You are forced to use the poorly implemented motion controls for everything, which ruined the experience for me.
  5. Oct 24, 2013
    The only reason this game gets a three is because the main mode stages are still fun and the music is as awesome as always, but that doesn't save it from having too many minigames and barely any of them being fun i'm pretty sure I only liked 5/50 games, and the boss battles are so pointless and add to that bad controls and it equals the worst Monkey Ball game I ever played.
  6. May 17, 2014
    I absolutely loved the first two Monkey Ball games for the Gamecube, so I couldn't resist getting my hands on this game. However, I WILL resist to play it now. Why, you may ask?

The control, the character design, and the party games could be described in 2 words: GOD AWFUL. You tilt the Wii-mote where you want the monkey to go, but you are at the MERCY of the loose control. Also, the

Also, the jump ability, which I swear was there because SEGA knew that the controls were GOD AWFUL, can literally destroy the challenge of various stages. The jump ability can be finnicky at times, leading to a WHACKLOAD of cheap deaths.

What doesn't help is the incredibly frustrating boss battles that seem to be there just for the sake of having a boss battle. As bad as the control and camera were in the actual stages, the bosses apply it TENFOLD.

Those would be the worst part of the game if it weren't for the UNPLAYABLE minigames. Sure, a small few of them are okay, but the rest leaves 20,000 TONS to the imagination, due to the horrendous controls on these minigames.

In short, Banana Blitz is one of the ABSOLUTE WORST WII GAMES EVER CREATED!!!!!

1. So long as you stick with the multiplayer, this game is a decent monkey-filled ball. [Dec. 2006, p.116]
  2. Moreover, Sega's done a fine job translating the control scheme for a game that demands precise movements to a controller that is, at best, imprecise. [Dec. 2006, p.58]
    If you've been on the fence about the Wii controls, put those fears to rest. True, there is a different technique involved, but once you get the hang of it you will be flying through levels with precision and speed. Now that I've played through Banana Blitz, I would not want to go back to the older control configurations.