8.9

1. Dark
    Mar 11, 2008
    You've played this game before, back when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Melee" - consider Brawl as something of an "expansion pack" and you'll enjoy it. But don't expect anything spectacular.
  2. Tyler
    Mar 10, 2008
    Awesome Awesome Awesome. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do, its a smooth ride. If this game doesnt deserve a 10 NOTHING DOES.
  3. KhoiP.
    Mar 10, 2008
    It's decent for a Nintendo game. It didn't improve on much, but neither do First Person Shooters (Bioshock, Resistance and the original Halo are the only ones that did that come to mind), or other fighting games (Street Figther just added new people, Soul Calibur added new people). I gave it a 10 because it was great in my eyes and should yield the same score as other games that It's decent for a Nintendo game. It didn't improve on much, but neither do First Person Shooters (Bioshock, Resistance and the original Halo are the only ones that did that come to mind), or other fighting games (Street Figther just added new people, Soul Calibur added new people). I gave it a 10 because it was great in my eyes and should yield the same score as other games that receive high marks for the same amount of improvement.I do love this game though. The online fighting makes the game worthwhile. Expand
  4. FilazaferX.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Games that give you great multi-player, single player, and online gaming are the only ones that deserve a 10 out of 10. This game does all of that. Sometimes you will be playing and you might think, "This could get boring and repetitive." Minutes later you will have a great, classic battle or find a new challenge to beat. Nintendo at it's best always finds new ways to keep you Games that give you great multi-player, single player, and online gaming are the only ones that deserve a 10 out of 10. This game does all of that. Sometimes you will be playing and you might think, "This could get boring and repetitive." Minutes later you will have a great, classic battle or find a new challenge to beat. Nintendo at it's best always finds new ways to keep you interested. This game does that and I know I will get my $50 worth. I would like to see them take this one step further. How about a smash brothers online in a much larger map? 32 players would be possible if it was online and all of the players weren't on screen together at the same time. Just a thought, now go buy the game. Expand
  5. JoE.
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you have a wii go buy it. end of story. ignore all the zeros, those are from people who sit in their room playing wow all day with no friends and are likely to become homocidal maniacs. or are emos, whatever floats your boat. if you liked melee youll love this one.
  6. BriannaK.
    Mar 13, 2008
    People who think this is not much of a step up from melee's graphics need to play one of the melee stages available in Brawl. You'll feel like barfing, the difference is that profound.
  7. DanA.
    Mar 14, 2008
    One of the most amazing games ever made. Not as good as Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess, but definitely securing it's third place spot on the Wii's game library.
  8. JeddyB.
    Marvelous good fun.
  9. BrianM.
    Mar 14, 2008
    One of the best smash bros within it's series.
  10. DiegoR.
    Mar 15, 2008
    One of the few must own games on the Wii. Steady framerate despite all the action with the fighters and the background. Roster is steady enough, and newcomers like Olimar and Snake give a whole new feeling to the game when fighting with, or against, them.
  11. JustinE.
    Mar 15, 2008
    This game is great. I never had melee but I have the original and it's a huge step-up. Although I haven't got online to work for some reason, and the stage builder is pretty bad, it's a great game. The original had multiplayer and a very short solo mode, but brawl has a long solo mode that took about 14 hours to beat. The multiplayer is great and there are so many This game is great. I never had melee but I have the original and it's a huge step-up. Although I haven't got online to work for some reason, and the stage builder is pretty bad, it's a great game. The original had multiplayer and a very short solo mode, but brawl has a long solo mode that took about 14 hours to beat. The multiplayer is great and there are so many unlockables. This game will probably never be traded in :D Expand
  12. KalP.
    Mar 15, 2008
    I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not worth my time. Good graphics and presentation though. Expand
  13. TheNumberQ.
    Mar 16, 2008
    I have to say, I've played the series since the beginning, and this one really disappoints me. I gave it a one just because its better than most of the other trash being made for the wii.
  14. JayM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hours and hours of fun. Best party game ever made.
  15. DerikH.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Very impressive game, I have been waiting a long time for this to come out. I enjoy getting together with my friends often to play this just as we had with melee. GJ nintendo!
  16. FedorE.
    Mar 18, 2008
    i'll preface by saying smash bros melee is still my favortive game on the cube. but I'm not impressed w/ brawl. the graphics look more aliased than the gc version, but now there's load screens. i haven't yet found a lag free online game, and no wifi stats bothers me. the wiimote controls are terrible. you basically need to attach a gc controller to play properly. i'll preface by saying smash bros melee is still my favortive game on the cube. but I'm not impressed w/ brawl. the graphics look more aliased than the gc version, but now there's load screens. i haven't yet found a lag free online game, and no wifi stats bothers me. the wiimote controls are terrible. you basically need to attach a gc controller to play properly. i'm disappointed with all additions except for the new characters. Expand
  17. Mr.Thuku
    Mar 2, 2008
    This is true love to all the people who own a wiiits like Miyamoto went to the promise land praised god for the perfect game and actually got it and returned to the present day.
  18. KaJa
    Mar 2, 2008
    Brawl is a super smash bros. so it is awesome! The Super Smash Bros series is Nintendo's best series and will always be the best until it dies!
  19. RyanB.
    Mar 22, 2008
    This is a great game however, Its may as well be on Game Cube. There is nothing more frustrating than using any of the Wii remote configurations with or without the nunchuck. But overall I find the controls to be very sluggish and unresponsive as you will find yourself struggling to turn around and attack in the intended direction. Controls aside this game is just pants loads of fun.
  20. NathanL.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Very little difference from Melee. Poor utilization of the wii's capabilities, in fact I can't stand playing it on the wiimote and have to use the GC controller. It's just the same game with a few new characters.
  21. SpartianGamer1342
    Mar 25, 2008
  22. MearshG.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Not a very good game, so overrated.
  23. SamG.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This game is so incredibly awesome. The characters are great and the storylline is very entertaining! The music is good and theirs a lot of it and the stages are fun and interesting
  24. ScottW.
    Mar 4, 2008
    This is quite possibly the best game of this generation, the best game on the Wii, the best selling game on the Wii and Game of the Year! Everyone must buy a Wii and this game!
  25. JamesL.
    Mar 5, 2008
    Amazing game, must buy.
  26. LukeP.
    Mar 6, 2008
    This game is really fun and I love it. Its my favorite game ever and I love smash!
  27. VivD.
    Mar 9, 2008
    It's a classic! Hard to top out.
  28. ZachC.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Bored after 2 minutes. I don't get the hype.
  29. ZackD.
    Apr 23, 2008
    Brawl really achieves what was expected from it. Not only is the mulitplayer just as good as melee (with extra characters to make it better), but the new one player modes make the game endless fun.
  30. MikeG.
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sorry but this game is for people who don't like depth in thier fighting games. many matches will be lost because someone fell off a platform, and three buttons dedicated to jumping?!? Too much random action, not enough combos per charicter. I want to like the Wii, but if mariokart is another last-gen retread like this game(i hope the leave computer assisted catch-up off, but...), Sorry but this game is for people who don't like depth in thier fighting games. many matches will be lost because someone fell off a platform, and three buttons dedicated to jumping?!? Too much random action, not enough combos per charicter. I want to like the Wii, but if mariokart is another last-gen retread like this game(i hope the leave computer assisted catch-up off, but...), 'k*** m* a**' to all you fanboys that gave this game a 10 and got tired of it the next day. Expand
  31. RandyY.
    Apr 29, 2008
    There is really nothing bad I can say.
  32. JoeL.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not very fun. The game does not have the same feel as the older smash bros. I tried playing it for a while but lost interest.
  33. StrikeC.
    Apr 3, 2008
    "This is a poor game. It was built 8 years ago, and is meant for 8 years ago. Nowadays there are lots of better games available, with much more realistic graphics, gameplay, and whatever you can imagine. In this game you can not only headshot someone without aiming with AWP, you can also shoot trough 99% of the walls. So if you want to win, just shoot against all walls. Graphics quality "This is a poor game. It was built 8 years ago, and is meant for 8 years ago. Nowadays there are lots of better games available, with much more realistic graphics, gameplay, and whatever you can imagine. In this game you can not only headshot someone without aiming with AWP, you can also shoot trough 99% of the walls. So if you want to win, just shoot against all walls. Graphics quality is as low as it can be, and gameplay sucks as much." Expand
  34. JordiR.
    Apr 3, 2008
    This game is amazing and I think it's the best fight game I played ever.
  35. MickyW
    Apr 4, 2008
    Best Smash Bros game to date.
  36. Starfox
    Apr 8, 2008
    Of course we were all expecting Brawl to be a great game but I was absolutely blown away when I first played this! The graphics are really quite good for the Wii and the massive amount of maps and characters is great! I love playing with other people most, but Subspace Emissary is probably one of the most fun single player story modes I've ever seen. The story is actually Of course we were all expecting Brawl to be a great game but I was absolutely blown away when I first played this! The graphics are really quite good for the Wii and the massive amount of maps and characters is great! I love playing with other people most, but Subspace Emissary is probably one of the most fun single player story modes I've ever seen. The story is actually surprisingly good! Great job Nintendo, you pulled off what is possibly one of the greatest games of all time! Expand
  37. BengtL.
    May 1, 2008
    It's absolutely fantastic!
  38. AndreB.
    May 13, 2008
    They managed to create a button masher for the system that was supposed to end button mashing. The game is fun for about 5 minutes, until you realize it never actually gets any deeper than doing the same moves over and over and over.
  39. Maslab
    May 21, 2008
    Very fun, especially when Mario beats Peach in to a bloody submission. However, it really is just more of the same, and the use of the Wii motion sensing would've been really fun.
  40. NicholasA.
    May 20, 2008
    It's a pretty great game, I'm not sure whether it's better than melee competitively though.
  41. DougL
    May 23, 2008
    This game does not do anything very well the four player action is some what random. The one player mode is kinda cheesy and it doens't use the motion controls to heighten the experience, maybe i'm getting old but this game did not impress me.
  42. NicolasB.
    May 6, 2008
    The mere multitude of features this game holds is recognition enough to buy this game. The gathering of Nintendo's most nostalgic of characters brings the new 2D/3D fighter to a whole new level with the lot of modes one (and their friends') can do. The multiplayer, whether it's just you playing against computer players or an all out brawl with your friends, offers the main The mere multitude of features this game holds is recognition enough to buy this game. The gathering of Nintendo's most nostalgic of characters brings the new 2D/3D fighter to a whole new level with the lot of modes one (and their friends') can do. The multiplayer, whether it's just you playing against computer players or an all out brawl with your friends, offers the main dish to the feast that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Especially in this mode you get the maximum replay value which you'll find yourself going back to years to come. Now most of this is basic knowledge to anyone at this point but the nostalgia that Nintendo gives the gamer in this gamer could make Nintendo Fanboy froth at the mouth. In fact, the first game in the series is what turned me on to the esteemed lineage of Nintendo games. A must buy, for anyone, and make sure you clear your calender too. You won't be leaving the house for awhile. Expand
  43. TimJ.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Great game, great action.
  44. AlexM.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Good...no... great, no... AMAZING game. it lasts forever, and is even greater fun with more than one person. you can have tournaments, bets, and who knows what else. just get it. Trust me.
  45. EtuS.
    Jun 8, 2008
    This is just awesome! The best game ever!
  46. JoshuaD.
    Jul 1, 2008
    I've had this game for at least 4 months now, and I still don't have all the challenges complete. When my friends come over, the first thing we do is play ssbb. Good job Nintendo for making one of the best video games that the Wii has to offer.
  47. Novi4ekNone
    Jul 24, 2008
    good game
  48. MarkusK.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Better than wished.
  49. RoyQ
    Jan 2, 2009
    This unpolished rehash isn't even worth a rental. It amazes me that people rate this disgusting game 10/10 due to some pathetic sentimentalism for nintendo. Anyone that actually enjoys playing video games will hate this piece of rubbish. It's nothing more than an underwhelming, underperforming, useless piece of nintendo trash that was created to make money off of the idiots that This unpolished rehash isn't even worth a rental. It amazes me that people rate this disgusting game 10/10 due to some pathetic sentimentalism for nintendo. Anyone that actually enjoys playing video games will hate this piece of rubbish. It's nothing more than an underwhelming, underperforming, useless piece of nintendo trash that was created to make money off of the idiots that mindlessly purchase anything nintendo craps out. Seven years after the release of melee we get a new SSB game with a worthless level editor, utterly useless online play, and a bunch of terrible new levels that kill you at random. There is no excuse for this level of failure - nintendo is raking in money hand over fist, and they don't care about making good games anymore. Thanks for screwing over your loyal fans and releasing garbage games like this solely to make fast money, nintendo! It seems that most people are too stupid to notice so I guess you'll continue to get away with it. Anyone with a brain between his/her ears should avoid this game at all costs. Expand
  50. mohammada
    Dec 18, 2009
    i like smash bros rumble very very much and i play smash bros rumble all day because smash bros rumble is the top rated game and it is the best game in the world please send me smash bros romble latest version because i love smash bros very very much it is also avery entertaining game please send me it's latest version right now please please please.
  51. RayA
    Feb 14, 2009
    I don't believe how high these ratings are. It's just a whole bunch of nintendo characters, and most of them I've never even heard of. (Who the hell is Marth?) And also, it takes a whole bunch of game elements that really weren't that good in the first place, and made it into the ultimate pile of crap. I tried it with some of my brawl obsessed friends, (for gods sake I don't believe how high these ratings are. It's just a whole bunch of nintendo characters, and most of them I've never even heard of. (Who the hell is Marth?) And also, it takes a whole bunch of game elements that really weren't that good in the first place, and made it into the ultimate pile of crap. I tried it with some of my brawl obsessed friends, (for gods sake the people like have no lives, thats the only thing the do. while playing) and I quickly learned how bad it was. I rented the game, just to see if it was the first impression, and sure it really wasn't. At some points the cutscenes made me laugh, because this retarded game was trying to take itself seriously! Wow. On the technological aspect of the game, it feels like a whole bunch of slack offs made it in 1 week. The sounds are so repetitive, sometimes I just muted it. Kirby kept screaming when I was pressing up B, and it was all like NUTMEG! NUTMEG! Seriously wtf? The worst of all is Lucas and Ness. (whats the difference anyway?) They just make THE SAME annoying noises OVER and OVER AGAIN! PK STAR STAR! PK FREE!!!!!! PK FREE!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why this game was rated T, because I think it should of been rated like EC. They also really slacked off on the characters, and variety. There are supposed to be a whole bunch of them, but at base it's only like 10. The rest are just stupid branch offs. Lets take link. theres all these retarded variations that make no sense, like "toon link" or "old link" or "young link" or "DARK LINK" (Oh how scary! I think I just crapped myself!) And last, and probably the worst is balance. If you haven't noticed, I believe this game was supposed to be built sort of like TF2, where every character is unique, but all have strengths and weaknesses, but these are equal, so no one is truly better. They did not probably test this for very long, so there is obvious little "nooby" things you can do with a character, and if the game was better, they would either release a patch to fix it, or better yet, just don't release a game like that. The music selection is also bland and revolves mainly around TWO MEASLY MEASURES OF COMPLETE RUBBISH. This game is truly way too credited, and there are probably things that come out of by bum that are more entertaining than this. Expand
  52. Requiem1160
    Sep 22, 2009
    Overated. The SSE was crap, the character roster was a desperate failure - Sonic really enrages me for that freaking 'B' move, the Classic mode didn't have what SSBM had - for some strange reason, Stage Editor sucked - harshly, the mini-game concerning Coins and Trophies was a total failure, then there's the fact that whenever you sign-in to Wi-Fi, you get those Overated. The SSE was crap, the character roster was a desperate failure - Sonic really enrages me for that freaking 'B' move, the Classic mode didn't have what SSBM had - for some strange reason, Stage Editor sucked - harshly, the mini-game concerning Coins and Trophies was a total failure, then there's the fact that whenever you sign-in to Wi-Fi, you get those annoying failures of screenshots and maps and that it takes a good 5-10 minutes to find someone to play with, and when they're losing they quit. All the time. The only real good thing was the Music. Expand
  53. Tjthegamer
    Nov 12, 2008
    Brawl is clearly the best fighting game on the Wii even for years to come. Brawl offers infinate replayability with it's never ending trophey and sticker collection and online muiltiplayer modes. Add the much impressive Subspace emissionary, chaotic muiltiplayer, and level builder (which could use some work...), and you've got one great experiance for Wii not to be missed.
  54. StanleyW
    Dec 25, 2008
    Fun until you realize that many characters are imbalanced. I've had the game for a year now, and there are ridiculous moves that cannot be countered. I hoped that they'd fix these, but there have been no changes to the game. The SSB series are dead, they are trying to add too many characters and there isn't enough balance.
  55. guhh
    Dec 26, 2008
    The game basically felt like an expansion to melee with a worst fighting engine. I felt they downgraded the competitive nature of melee for the casuals. Melee had great technical aspects that were lacking from Brawl. The game is basically unplayable online too due to massive lag which is a huge disappointment being the first in the series to go online. The subspace emmisionary was very The game basically felt like an expansion to melee with a worst fighting engine. I felt they downgraded the competitive nature of melee for the casuals. Melee had great technical aspects that were lacking from Brawl. The game is basically unplayable online too due to massive lag which is a huge disappointment being the first in the series to go online. The subspace emmisionary was very shallow to the point where it was a chore to finish. The game does boast impressive CGI animation though. All in all, the game was alright but could have been so much more. The only reason to pick this up is to play with friends on one console. Expand
  56. RobertC.
    Feb 23, 2008
    Although the game retains most of its solid gameplay, Nintendo seems to have forgotten what made the game so fun in the first place. They attempt to make the game faster with near auto-tech and near auto-L/jump cancel as well as shorthops. But they changed a lot of it to make it less enjoyable. Now, characters that used to be fun as slow but powerful (bowser) is ridiculously fast and Although the game retains most of its solid gameplay, Nintendo seems to have forgotten what made the game so fun in the first place. They attempt to make the game faster with near auto-tech and near auto-L/jump cancel as well as shorthops. But they changed a lot of it to make it less enjoyable. Now, characters that used to be fun as slow but powerful (bowser) is ridiculously fast and overpowered. Hard to kill Kirby is not absolutely lethal. Ganon is extremely powerful as well as fast in terms of l-cancel. Other characters that used to be fast and enjoyable (what made Melee so fun) are now boring and some even slower. Falco is now significantly slower and less powerful with most of his movesets different/weaker/useless. Marth now has less reach than before and is less powerful with tip. Shorthop is now higher, defeating the purpose of shorthopping in the first place. New characters are boring and unsatisfying. Warrio is unexciting. Snake is a huge letdown. ZSamus is basically Sheik. What Nintendo seems to have done is made slow and less useful characters in Melee extremely fast and powerful, while making useful characters and fast characters much slower and less useful/powerful. A lot of movesets that used to kill, can no longer kill (for example: Falco's down-A). Nintendo has closed the gap between great characters and slow/crappy characters to, ultimately, make a whole game based on mediocre characters that just aren't as exciting as Melee. Expand
  57. BlackPerson
    Feb 25, 2008
    Worst.Game.Ever.

Go do yourself a favor and buy a 360 or ps3, where there is good fighting games. Their will never be a good fighting game on the wii unless it uses original controlls. this game is mediocre, kiddish, immature, pointless, and boring. Go Buy Smackdown vs Raw if your too cheap to buy a 360 or ps3.
  58. JimmyC.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Had the chance to try this out, and it's awesome! I didn't know there was room, but it's a vast improvement over melee in just about everything.
  59. DylanM.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Not even close to Melee in terms of fun, but production values are through the roof.
  60. MaxG.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Amazing game with unlimited replayability. The only immediate downside was the seemingly floaty physics compared to Melee, but it's something you quickly get used to and move beyond. Fighting at it's finest, and the Wii at its best.
  61. KasilB.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Despite a disappointing character roster (compared to many peoples' expectations, at least), this game is amazing. From SSE to Co-op modes and online, this game vastly improves from the predecessors while still keeping the general gameplay the same and the tradition alive.
  62. RyneG.
    Mar 13, 2008
    don't listen to Crazychief112, he don't know what he talking, this is one of the best game ever, and if you don't like the wii remote you can just use the gamecube controller, or the classic wii remote, so like I say before don't listen to Crazychief112
  63. KRBeeL.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Yes. This game is quite enjoyable when you have company around, but when you play by yourself, this game is quite average. What didn't work for me is the way Nintendo nelfed up some of the characters. Marth's blade is short now. Fox and Falco moves aren't like they use to be, not to mention Fox has been downgraded into an average fighter. Even though this could be the very Yes. This game is quite enjoyable when you have company around, but when you play by yourself, this game is quite average. What didn't work for me is the way Nintendo nelfed up some of the characters. Marth's blade is short now. Fox and Falco moves aren't like they use to be, not to mention Fox has been downgraded into an average fighter. Even though this could be the very LAST Smash Bros game, it deserves a good score. Sakurai did say he want this game to be FUN and enjoyable and I respect that. Expand
  64. GeneG.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Didn't play Melee; clearly I'm in the minority on that one; but I have already got more enjoyment out of this game than I did out of the similarly priced Halo 3. This is a lovingly crafted game with hours and hours of enjoyment. I'm glad I bought it.
  65. Brent
    Mar 19, 2008
    Wow, I do not see what is so great about this game. I played it for a few hours the other day and it feels and looks the same as the gamecube version a few years ago. It's so repetative and simple it gets boring after a short time. It doesn't even make use of the motion sensors. In my opinion this has got to be one of the most over rated games of all time.
  66. LydellF.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Never cared for this series, and had to actually be at my cousin's house to see the new one in action. Tried out the adventure mode and couldn't resist the Old School charm especially with Kid Icarus. I bought one within 24 hours.
  67. BenP.
    Mar 24, 2008
    SSBB really didn't do it for me - it's a bit of fun for a while, but I really don't see why everyone rates it so well? It just seems like another random button-masher fighting game that I got sick of 10 years ago. And it doesn't seem to be very well adapted to the Wii. why are there no motion sensitive controls? Why can't I choose options on the screen with the SSBB really didn't do it for me - it's a bit of fun for a while, but I really don't see why everyone rates it so well? It just seems like another random button-masher fighting game that I got sick of 10 years ago. And it doesn't seem to be very well adapted to the Wii. why are there no motion sensitive controls? Why can't I choose options on the screen with the wii-mote, like all the other games? This is not even half the game that Mario Galaxy is. Expand
  68. MikhailR.
    Mar 26, 2008
    I've been an SSB diehard since the first game int he series. I pride myself in absolutely dominating all comers, and now I get brawl. I haven't played a single game since I've gotten my copy of Brawl, and I have to say it has yet to get old. Not counting the several thousand hours (no exaggeration) of replay value, and the non-stop party-on-a-cd known as multiplayer, the I've been an SSB diehard since the first game int he series. I pride myself in absolutely dominating all comers, and now I get brawl. I haven't played a single game since I've gotten my copy of Brawl, and I have to say it has yet to get old. Not counting the several thousand hours (no exaggeration) of replay value, and the non-stop party-on-a-cd known as multiplayer, the game has online. Now, I can fight my friends ONLINE. Need I ask for more? Answer: You'd be a complete douche to do so. IT replaces Galaxies as the must-have game for hte system. Honestly, if your a fan of the series and you don't like this game, something is wrong with you. Expand
  69. PedroH.
    Mar 28, 2008
    melee was better in many ways than this piece of garbage! yeah, melee had vastly overpowered characters, so powerfull that using a character that wasnt marth, sheik or fox was suicide! it had more collectables,better adventure mode, it is way better than brawl, besides, i am a god in melee, to prove it i will play anyone in an online match and defeat them.........WAIT!!!
  70. MarkusG.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Agreed w/what JayB said: "Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to Agreed w/what JayB said: "Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new technology and create something different and meaningful rather than clone the previous game with "sweeter graphix and soundz!!!1!1". Yes Smash bros is fun, but gimmicky plastic add ons are not. I have just as much fun playing the original Smash bros, if not more. It's so sad that developers are getting more and more lazy the better the technology becomes". Expand
  71. RichardO.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Never played a Smash Bros game before and probably never will again. Utterly confusing, no explanation of what you're supposed to do. Didn't like it at all.
  72. RuncanD.
    Jul 13, 2008
    I honestly don't get it... The controls are really sluggish, it almost never connects online, the poor story mode is needlessly frustrating because of poor controls and sparse save points. Perhaps it's a fun party game, but Mario Kart wins hands down with my friends. I really don't know what all the fuss is about!
  73. William
    Jul 27, 2008
    This game was not as well polished as Super Smash Bros. Melee. The stage backgrounds and flashy and distracting. The game mechanics are sometimes a bit unintuitive; it can be hard for a non-expert player to keep track of where their own character is, let alone everyone else's. The menu interface leaves a lot to be desired. There are also a couple of minor features that I miss from This game was not as well polished as Super Smash Bros. Melee. The stage backgrounds and flashy and distracting. The game mechanics are sometimes a bit unintuitive; it can be hard for a non-expert player to keep track of where their own character is, let alone everyone else's. The menu interface leaves a lot to be desired. There are also a couple of minor features that I miss from Melee. In its favour, Brawl has an strong cast of characters and an excellent two player co-op campaign. But all in all, I don't feel that this is a worthy successor to SSB:Melee. Expand
  74. StephenS.
    Jul 31, 2008
    I have logged over 3000 hours in Melee. This game has taken away from the series in my opinion with the unbalanced nature of the game. I have been beaten in the game with someone using a single move that hits above to both sides lasts for 3/4 sec does massive damage and is a kill move. That is not a move that should be in the game. Every character should have there advantage and I have logged over 3000 hours in Melee. This game has taken away from the series in my opinion with the unbalanced nature of the game. I have been beaten in the game with someone using a single move that hits above to both sides lasts for 3/4 sec does massive damage and is a kill move. That is not a move that should be in the game. Every character should have there advantage and disadvantage. But some have the best of everything and others can hardly get a single kill. Overall if you love the series buy it but if your on the fence make sure you rent it first and understand it is purely a party game. Expand
  75. ColtonT
    May 25, 2009
    The Subspace Emissary is garbage, but offline multiplayer is bad ass enough to get a 10 from me.
  76. JohnD
    Nov 23, 2008
    "Spartian Gamer1342 gave it a5: This game sucks. Halo has better fps controls, better graphics, better online, a larger selection of guns." Now, anybody who gives this game a 6 or lower... they can relate to how stupid this guy is.
  77. BasmentCrawler
    Nov 24, 2008
    Terrible game. Not even nearly as good as Melee. Everyone giving the high scores are casual smashers who have no idea about the depth of Melee and the slowness and simplicity of Brawl. Go to www.smashboards.com and find out what you're talking about before you post idiotic reviews.
  78. Aug 23, 2010
    Brawl to be me is just a crappy version of melee, i traded in brawl and i still have a crap load of fun playing the game cube classic. I give brawl a 5.8.
  79. Sep 22, 2010
    I reviewed this game for gaminghunks.biz and I like the charac ters most but some of the levels are ok. I think there should be more competitibe online competitions so that players can win prizes like towels and dishwashers maybe then this game will really take off? I dont know how you feel about the inclusion of Solid Snake but I never like Devil May Cry anyway the game had too manyI reviewed this game for gaminghunks.biz and I like the charac ters most but some of the levels are ok. I think there should be more competitibe online competitions so that players can win prizes like towels and dishwashers maybe then this game will really take off? I dont know how you feel about the inclusion of Solid Snake but I never like Devil May Cry anyway the game had too many enemies and was difficult to win against. The worst bit on Devil May Cry was when you had to defeat the big spider, I never find his week spot. Oh well I guess they will remove him from the next game.

Also the music is bad.
  80. Mar 26, 2011
    It's just a Button-Masher, it takes up to 18 hours to unlock only about 5/2# unlockable charcters BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Terrible, Button-Masher, takes bloody hours to unlock chars, ECT ECT.

1 interesting thing is Co-Op campaign, which is fun for about 2 1/2 hours, after that you'll all be fighting over the lives and conducting friendly fire on purpose because your target didn't bring the cheetos.
  81. Aug 7, 2011
    I don't know if I can describe how bad this game seems to me. I've played it both solo and in groups, and it just bores me to death. I liked multiplayer brawling games like this in the likes of Powerstone back in the day, but the entire feel, control-scheme, environments, and mechanics of the wntire Smash Bros. series feels like a terrible joke. It's like Monty Python invaded Nintendo andI don't know if I can describe how bad this game seems to me. I've played it both solo and in groups, and it just bores me to death. I liked multiplayer brawling games like this in the likes of Powerstone back in the day, but the entire feel, control-scheme, environments, and mechanics of the wntire Smash Bros. series feels like a terrible joke. It's like Monty Python invaded Nintendo and came out with the most ridiculous fighting game parody ever conceived. Is that what people like about it? I don't know, but it's charm is definitely lost on me. Expand
  82. Jun 4, 2011
    Brawl is all fluff. While it's great to see lots of new characters, stages, and options, what truly makes a Smash Bros game is, let's face it, the gameplay. The Wii is a family oriented platform, and Brawl follows suit. It is easy to pick up and play, and even a new player can keep up with someone who has put lots of time into the game. Now that's great if you're a new player, but for fansBrawl is all fluff. While it's great to see lots of new characters, stages, and options, what truly makes a Smash Bros game is, let's face it, the gameplay. The Wii is a family oriented platform, and Brawl follows suit. It is easy to pick up and play, and even a new player can keep up with someone who has put lots of time into the game. Now that's great if you're a new player, but for fans who put time in it would be nice to be able to perfect a fighting style similar to what was possible in Melee. Overall, Brawl is just a soft game. Controls lag, hits don't feel satisfying, gameplay is slow - it is the non-gamer version of Melee, with loads of gratification for the newbies, enough new features to trick real gamers into buying it, and plenty of disappointment when those same gamers realize they spent $50 on what amounts to an amorphous blob of dumbed down game design. I'll stick with Melee and the original SSB. I recommend the same to anyone who considers themselves a gamer. Expand
  83. Jan 20, 2012
    Apart from the fact that the game features lots of great nintendo & co characters, maps and music, there isn't really much that this game has to offer. Mediocre gameplay and combat, below average visuals (as with the majority of wii games) and a terrible singleplayer campaign.
  84. Dec 25, 2011
    The multi-player experience is undeniably one of the best you'll ever battle online opponents or friends with. The rest of the game, although challenging, does not prove to have the same level of enjoyment
  85. Apr 5, 2012
    This was my first Smash Bros. game and... I wasn't impressed. If you don't own a classic controller you're pretty much screwed, as the controls on Wiimote are some of the worst I have ever seen. The graphics and music are very nice, but the constant flashes and explosions HURT the eyes so much that I had to take a break every 1 hour of gameplay. Nevertheless, I played through the entireThis was my first Smash Bros. game and... I wasn't impressed. If you don't own a classic controller you're pretty much screwed, as the controls on Wiimote are some of the worst I have ever seen. The graphics and music are very nice, but the constant flashes and explosions HURT the eyes so much that I had to take a break every 1 hour of gameplay. Nevertheless, I played through the entire single player mode and it was rather average. It is a sort-off platformer game where you unlock different characters and collect stuff like stickers. Multiplayer *might* be better, but I personally didn't manage to get out much of it. Online has been completely empty every time I went on, while playing locally with my brother got old very fast (mostly due to the fact that one of us had to use the dreaded Wii Remote). Simply not worth the money, sorry. Expand
  86. Jul 1, 2013
    The sheer amount of time we had already invested in Melee was definitely partly to blame for our lack of interest. After all, Brawl didn’t showcase the same jump in features and spectacle that Melee had over the original game on the N64. It was, by and large, pretty similar to Melee, and lacked the novelty of its predecessor. However, after mulling it over in my head over the course of aThe sheer amount of time we had already invested in Melee was definitely partly to blame for our lack of interest. After all, Brawl didn’t showcase the same jump in features and spectacle that Melee had over the original game on the N64. It was, by and large, pretty similar to Melee, and lacked the novelty of its predecessor. However, after mulling it over in my head over the course of a couple of months, I decided that Brawl was, in my mind at least, a worse game than Melee. Still, my reasoning behind this opinion often differed from the reasoning of forum-goers and commenters across the internet (it is largely regarded that Melee is the superior game, at least as far as depth of gameplay goes). Many users complained about the dumbing-down of competitive play through the removal of certain advanced techniques, such as wave dashing, or L-canceling. However, this didn’t really apply to my friends and me: none of us had ever even attempted to wave dash, nor was the lowering of a skill-ceiling something which would effect our play with one another. Indeed, to be fair, some of the techniques that were removed appeared to depend on the exploitation of unintended design flaws.

Now, by no means was Brawl a bad game in fact, it’s very good, and well worth checking out at the very least. However, it’s by no means perfect, and in some respects, worse than its prequel. For the sake of clarity and convenience, my contentions with the game will be presented in list form.

1. The Subspace Emissary sucked. The Subspace Emissary was made out to be the Story mode option of Brawl, as well as a replacement for the Adventure mode of Melee. It boasts gorgeous CG cutscenes featuring the Brawl cast, as well as boss battles against well-known franchise villains, such as Petey Piranha and Ridley. Unfortunately, that’s about all it has going for it. The story was threadbare, the level design was repetitive and bland, the gameplay was monotonous, and it ultimately felt like a chore that had to be slogged through in order to unlock content for other modes. Embarrassingly, Melee’s Adventure mode remains a much more enjoyable and interesting experience overall, despite only lasting the guts of about 20 minutes on each run, whereas Subspace Emissary gives a play time of about 10 hours, give or take. Disc space and development time that could have been given over to other game modes was instead used up by this lackluster option. I’d like to see either a return to a short Adventure-style game mode in the sequel, or go the full hog and give each character their own short story mode la every fighting game ever interspersed with a little dialogue, the odd boss fight and bookended by some mini-cutscenes. Trying to fit the entirety of the 30-strong cast into a single story appears to be a futile and messy task, filled with compromise.

2. Cloned characters. Wolf, Falco, and Fox. Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. Toon Link and Adult Link. I have no problem with characters sharing certain elements of their playstyle with one another, but Brawl had seven characters that were practically model swaps of one another. I’m adamant in my belief that characters absolutely must have their own individual special moves. Now, I know adding cloned characters takes less effort/time/money than developing a whole new addition to the cast, but I’d happily sacrifice three clones or a game mode for an extra “true” character or two. Imagine replacing Toon/Young Link with Fierce Deity Link instead: give him a slower, stronger set of moves and movements to suit his huge, double-helix sword, maybe the ability to fire projectile discs from it somewhat similar to Link’s regular ol’ Bow n’ Arrow combo, but perhaps faster and with a shorter range. Drop the clones, and instead incorporate fresh characters with their own mechanics and tactics to be mastered.

3. Level design
    Brawl was plagued with simplistic, symmetrical levels. So many of the levels featured in the game were made up of little more than a few small platforms hovering over one larger one. “But that’s all any Smash Bros. game has ever done,” I hear you cry! Nonsense my good fellows, nonsense. Let’s take Onett from Melee for want of an example. Here, there are platforms, but they’re grounded within the universe they’re supposed to be depicting you jump across shop facades, rooftops, tree branches and clotheslines. Compare this with Spear Pillar, Lylat Cruise or Shadow Moses, which lack the organic asymmetry of Onett, and seem content to instead provide some random floating platforms placed in front of a themed background. As a result they feel sterile, shallow and artificial.

4. Smash Balls
    Some of the characters had completely overpowered Final Smash attacks like Sonic's, Fox's.

And there you have it, pretty much all of my niggles with Brawl laid out in a somewhat concise manner. If Nintendo wishes to better Melee and Brawl (at least in my eyes), they’d do well to keep some of these points in mind
  87. Dec 16, 2013
    As a stand-alone game, Brawl is great. But as a sequel to Melee, the gameplay isn't nearly as fast or fun. Can be a fun party game with the right crowd. Worth buying, but not for 50 bucks.
  88. Oct 1, 2013
    okay i guess. the story is horrible, and it takes no skill. your just pressing buttons randomly. it just leads to boring gameplay. the 2 best games on the wii are skyward sword and twilight princess
  89. Mar 21, 2014
    I'll keep it short and simple. I love the Single player mode and the new characters but, the mechanics in the game is kind of bad and feels rushed. Has flaws but not too bad.
  90. Dec 9, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a game that you should have in your Wii collection. Its content and modes will keep you busy for a looooooooong time. Its main focus is brawling with Nintendo characters with the exception of 2 other characters that i won't mention. It contains more than 25 characters in its roster that will satisfy you for a long time. But it has problems, firstly, the on lineSuper Smash Bros. Brawl is a game that you should have in your Wii collection. Its content and modes will keep you busy for a looooooooong time. Its main focus is brawling with Nintendo characters with the exception of 2 other characters that i won't mention. It contains more than 25 characters in its roster that will satisfy you for a long time. But it has problems, firstly, the on line in this game is horrible, you can barely get connected with anyone, then there is the tripping, its annoying, unnecessary and dumb. There is a mode called The Subspace Emissary which is Adventure Mode and it is... okay. Overall, this game is a must-buy for the Wii and you will be proud to have it in your collection. Expand
  91. Sep 8, 2014
    the game has a pretty good rooster besides the op Meta knight and Ike. Subspace is really good especially when played in coop mode. The game is considerably slower than Melee and it can be painful to watch slow 1 v 1 matches. Overall this game will not disappoint if you are a hardcore fan you should already have this game but if you aren't it is a pretty solid game
  92. MikeK.
    Apr 25, 2008
    absolutely fantastic. Everything a gamer could want piled into a super-mash up fighting game.
  93. JailS.
    Apr 25, 2008
    This is the best game on the Wii, even if the online service is rather lukewarm- But who cares, you get to beat the crud out of people from around the world or your friends, AND you get to shame them with your taunts.
  94. TraceMartel
    Feb 5, 2008
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl has acheived perfection in its series and is more exciting and fun now more than ever. With easy to use controls, tons of game modes, hundreds of unlockables, over 40 stages to brawl at, and a variety of characters to choose from; this game will have you coming back for more and more over the years to come.
  95. JettersB.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Even though I've only played the first game a few times, I still got into the game once I got a Gamecube and Melee to go with it. Brawl is one of the best games you can get for the Wii in a slew of terrible games that seem to pop up for the Wii every week. The controls are basic, so even people who don't play fighting games much less any video games can learn the basics. The new Even though I've only played the first game a few times, I still got into the game once I got a Gamecube and Melee to go with it. Brawl is one of the best games you can get for the Wii in a slew of terrible games that seem to pop up for the Wii every week. The controls are basic, so even people who don't play fighting games much less any video games can learn the basics. The new adventure mode, called Subspace Emissary, is one of the many interesting features that's been put into Brawl. Even though it's pretty fun, it get's repetitive going through maze after maze fighting enemies made specifically for this mode. It's not all bad, but the plot, enemies and levels could've been better. Multiplayer is likely what the Super Smash Bros. franchise is so well-known for. Brawl took it up a notch by adding Co-op modes to many of the previously one-player exclusive modes, like Home-run Contest (where you try to send a Sandbag flying for the longest distance) and Event matches (where you fight under certain conditions). Another new feature is playing online, where you can play other people across the globe. Only problem is the online support: It takes a while to find other people and matches also have disconnecting lag (not that other online games don't, but Brawl has them more frequently). Aside from that, multiplayer still rules. Many people here might say that "Brawl is just like the other games, but with more features and characters" or some other reason. Brawl is still the way it is because that's the basis for the gameplay, like the Mario games, yet I don't hear people complaining about Super Mario World being just like the earlier games. Most of the other complaints from these reviewers are complaints from non-gamers who don't read the manual, Half-baked complaints over the stupidest things, or Xbox fans who've likely never played it and are deliberately giving it bad reviews just to promote their egos. All in all, whether you like fighting games or not, whether you're a fan of the Smash series or this is your first game, whether you're a long-time Nintendo fan or a newcomer, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is definately worth trying out. Expand
  96. ChrisG.
    Nov 24, 2009
    Good, but not Great. I pre-ordered this with great anticipation, as soon as I could. Nintendo gave it like a year's wait when they announced it, to the day it was released. I was tense, waiting to get my hands on this game after playing it's two great prequels. On getting it, I popped that fucker in, and braced for epic. What did I get? One step backwards. Now, I may seem like Good, but not Great. I pre-ordered this with great anticipation, as soon as I could. Nintendo gave it like a year's wait when they announced it, to the day it was released. I was tense, waiting to get my hands on this game after playing it's two great prequels. On getting it, I popped that fucker in, and braced for epic. What did I get? One step backwards. Now, I may seem like i'm coming off aggressive, but the person behind this keyboard happens to be a huge fan of this series. For me to type this up, says alot. The graphics, were an improvement, sure. But it was sadly tainted with a dull-look, it looked less colorful than SSBM, it lacked the lustour and life that its prequel had. The gameplay was essentially the same, same moves, (changed moveset for some characters) and only added a 'smash ball' which allows said user to summon a finishing move. Most of these finishing moves were uneffective, and a better job of killing the enemy off could be done with a well-timed smash attack. The characters, well they added a few new ones, but at the cost of REMOVING some fond ones, like Roy, Dr.Mario, Mewtwo and Young link, But hey, don't worry. They sortof added them back but under different names like. Ike, Lucario, Toon-link. The wi-fi sucked. It simply, sucked. It lagged, like crazy. People disconnect, like crazy, the community are mostly comprised of 10 year olds, waiting for a match took 5 solid minutes. The story was okay, it was innovative where it came to adding characters into the story, but the plot sucked, it never told you as to why R.O.B. blew shit up, it never said who tabuu was, it never said why Bowser and Ganon became so rich, they bought a huge space cannon and plotted domination. The sound, was fuckin' A. soundtrack artists from sega, konami, square enix and other companies chipped in to make it a eargasm. In short, if this was too long to read, It's essentially the same game, with no pro's but a smash ball. The 'new characters' arent as they seem, half of them are re-skinned favorites like Mewtwo, and Roy. And half of the time, they're two of the same character (ness and lucas) 8/10, only because it RESEMBLES the epic that was melee Expand
  97. UncleR
    Mar 11, 2009
    The multiplaying on this game is pure awesome. Even with only 2 players you can spend like 5 hours straight with this game and the single playing ain't half bad eather. Love the Subspace Emissary too. The only minus on the game is the internet gaming 'cause of it's tiring waiting times and lags, but since SMB is new with it, I forgive the little flaw. But the game is no The multiplaying on this game is pure awesome. Even with only 2 players you can spend like 5 hours straight with this game and the single playing ain't half bad eather. Love the Subspace Emissary too. The only minus on the game is the internet gaming 'cause of it's tiring waiting times and lags, but since SMB is new with it, I forgive the little flaw. But the game is no doubt a must purchase for Wii owners and fighting game fans. Expand
  98. ZacH.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game was the fastest-selling game ever. Packed with as much content as a dual-layer dvd can hold, it has everything you could ever want from the series. The new story mode, "Subspace Emissary", the map builder mode, and being able to play online makes it that much better.
  99. JustinB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Amazing.. that's really all I can say.
  100. May 24, 2015
    Brawl was the best Smash Bros game for it's time, with one of the most impressive rosters in any game. The game features a ton of characters and maps that will keep you playing for hours on end. The soundtrack is huge and the graphics are very good for it's time. After so many years of playing Melee, Brawl was a fresh breath of air.
  101. Jan 21, 2011
    Hello, this is Danny T. and this is my first review!!!!!
    SSBB Rating: 100/100
    The only reason that i giv this game a 100 out of 100 is because i cannot find any flaws at all. Don't tell me that it takes too long to load, this game is obviously loaded with tons of things to do. And you truly cannot ask for any more characters. This is probably the only game that i am going to give a
    Hello, this is Danny T. and this is my first review!!!!!
    SSBB Rating: 100/100
    Don't tell me that it takes too long to load, this game is obviously loaded with tons of things to do. And you truly cannot ask for any more characters. This is probably the only game that i am going to give a perfect rating to. Wonderful music, graphics, story (SSE), controls, and many things to do. This is my absolute favourite game.

1. Brawl is easily the most fun I’ve had on a Wii, and could be the most fun I’ve had with a game in ages. It’s just that good. There is just so much to do, and so many different and refreshing things added that it would be a crime not to at least take a look.
  2. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. It’s obvious that developer Game Arts have put a painstaking amount of effort into creating this game and every time we play it we’re discovering new Nintendo references which bring back a rush of nostalgia. Brawl’s chaotic multiplayer sessions are some of the best to be had on the system, plus there are plenty of challenges and modes to amuse those ‘friend-impaired’ individuals out there as well. It’s a no-brainer, every serious Nintendo fan out there should score themselves a copy of this game, invite some friends/victims around, and have a smashing good time.