Top Spin 3 Wii

5.7

1. TennisNut
    Jul 10, 2008
    Some quirks and lack of options aside, the best tennis game for lovers and players of the sport thus far. I'm an admitted casual gamer and for the most part picked up the wii solely for the fact that wii tennis was the first active tennis game available. I am an avid tennis player and loved several parts of this game as I saw the direct translation to playing. 1. There is a learning Some quirks and lack of options aside, the best tennis game for lovers and players of the sport thus far. I'm an admitted casual gamer and for the most part picked up the wii solely for the fact that wii tennis was the first active tennis game available. I am an avid tennis player and loved several parts of this game as I saw the direct translation to playing. 1. There is a learning curve: Timing, movement, shot choice and placement are all going to determine success. At times that can get frustrating when you know what you wanted to do vs what you controlled your player to do...but that is true in both real life tennis and any video game. Overall, I felt that strategy and proper preparation were pretty accurate. I would be frustrated if I was a lefty though, I think that was the worst possible omission of any portion of this game....and I'm guessing it was a licensing issue that forced them to keep Wimby out of the tournaments when the other 3 majors are there. I really debated giving this a 6 or a 7 because I know this game isn't going to translate to people who don't want to put in the time to learn the shots and movement or to people who want the extensive game play options that other consoles are going to offer in this genre currently. I opted for the 7 because I think this game lends itself to the market it was going for, people who want to play tennis when they are not actually out playing tennis....then the graphics and lack of modes aren't quite as important. It definitely falls short of a sim though and I'm hoping 2k will up the ante on the next version or someone will beat them too the punch and take this game out of the mix, until then I'll let Mr. Becker show Roddick how power tennis is supposed to be played. Expand
  2. TennisFan
    Jul 5, 2008
    Decent tennis sim with many downfalls. no career mode, no left handed support (im a lefty) and somewhat unresponsive controls at times. Overall not bad, but not very good.
  3. Waiting4TopSpin4
    Sep 2, 2008
    The game is a fun tennis sim, but it has a few main areas for marked improvement in the next release: 1) Roster: No Nadal for starters, but worse is in the Road to Glory mode you basically play the same 4 people repeatedly with very few alterations. Game desperately needs more star power, which may be tough given the lack of star power in today's tennis. Adding more legends (Agassi, The game is a fun tennis sim, but it has a few main areas for marked improvement in the next release: 1) Roster: No Nadal for starters, but worse is in the Road to Glory mode you basically play the same 4 people repeatedly with very few alterations. Game desperately needs more star power, which may be tough given the lack of star power in today's tennis. Adding more legends (Agassi, Sampras, McEnroe, Lendl, Chang, Courier, Edberg all come to mind) would be a big plus. 2) Serving: Against the CPU, there is no benefit between crushing a hish risk serve and laying a fat easy one via the "safety" serve option. In fact, its usually to your disadvantage to get a strong first serve in. CPU frequently dumps slow 1st serves into the net, then responds with high risk very fast second serves. Bottom line is that the serving needs to be more advantageous when risks pay off and offer penalties for not serving well (easier to hit a powerful well placed return, etc). Gameplay) Add a target for where the ball will land depending on the shot - responding to lob shots can sometimes be far more difficult than they should be. CPU does same thing repeatedly when returning serves. Expand
  4. hashimA.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Its not an easy game to play. Very frustrating and requires a lot of time to get used to the controls and start enjoying it. I still prefer the old Nintendo tennis as it is easy, and straight forward game to play.
  5. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2008
    This game has grown on me. I would have given it a 5 if I had reviewed it after an hour or two. Having played it some more, I think it's a reasonable first effort. Not great by any stretch, but good enough to make you hope for a Topspin 4 in a year or two.

First, the bad. The graphics are not that great, especially on a regular display. But as the manual suggests, displaying at 480p 16:9, it looks good enough. The animations are also a bit poor. Players run awkwardly, the numerous ballboys don't move at all (they're purely decoration), and the crowd applause - well, it brings to mind a 3-stage animated .gif, circa 1994.

The in-game music sounds decent. It's less compressed than on MLB2K8. I still prefer the latter, though, because it included 16+ songs, compared to Topspin's 3. You *will* get sick of them.
    There's no create-a-player or career mode, which is unforgivable in 2008. There's not even a proper tournament mode. But once you get past the first few silly minigames on "road to glory," you will unlock the grand slam events. These play sort of like a tournament, starting at the round of 16. But they're mixed. I played Roddick against Sharapove for the Australian Open championship(!)

The control system is not as intuitive as it was meant to be. Especially if you actualy play tennis - you won't want to use Topspin 3 to practice your groundstrokes. But once you the hang of it (and it will take a while - forget claims of a 5-minute learning curve), it's effective enough. The controls certainly aren't broken.

So with all those problems, why a 7? Because like MLB2K8 before it, it's not great, but it is a reasonable first effort. And once you figure out what you're doing, it does get fun. But it's only a 7. As it stands, the game lacks the sort of content and depth that you'd expect from a 2K (or EA) sports title. But that's the easy part. Tennis fans can only hope 2K puts the little effort that will be necessary to put this title in the 8-9 range next year.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Not too bad. Doubles are fun. Limited number of moves and seems a bit slow but in generally a good game.
  7. CratchW.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I enjoy this game purely because I am a fan of tennis and it's something tennis-related for the wii. However, that said, I can't believe how much this game is missing. There are very few professional players (no Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko, Ferrer, etc....those are numbers 2-5 in the world by the way). My first thought was "oh well, I'll create missing players in the I enjoy this game purely because I am a fan of tennis and it's something tennis-related for the wii. However, that said, I can't believe how much this game is missing. There are very few professional players (no Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko, Ferrer, etc....those are numbers 2-5 in the world by the way). My first thought was "oh well, I'll create missing players in the create-a-player, but there isn't one. In fact, there are hardly any options for this game. No creation, no rule adjustment, no difficulty level above what it comes on.... Additionally, the tournaments are poor imitations of the real ones. In a Grand Slam event in this game there are only four rounds (as opposed to 6 in real life), and only 3 games wins you a set. Also, play is mixed, meaning men and women are in the same draw. I'm having fun with it, but I'm also very disappointed with this game, honestly I don't know how it made it to the shelves, it almost feels like a demo version of a real game. Expand

#21 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#57 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    If you're a devoted fan of straightforward tennis, you'll likely enjoy the game. [June 2008, p.88]
  2. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    It's the most realistic tennis game on the Wii and great fun to play. If you have even a passing interest in tennis this is worth a look. [July 2008, p.73]
  3. Nintendo Gamer
    Sideways grip may well be more like proper tennis, but it's not comfy. Lefties aren't welcome. [Aug 2008, p.58]