Xenoblade Chronicles Wii

8.9

1. Mar 11, 2017
    This is possibly and currently my favorite RPG of all time because of how the characters, story, lore and gameplay led me to an epic adventure that that world deserved. Honestly amazing how it could look like an MMO at its time but was actually a single player experience. Although the graphics were not as technology amazing as its competition, it never deterred me from finishing every sideThis is possibly and currently my favorite RPG of all time because of how the characters, story, lore and gameplay led me to an epic adventure that that world deserved. Honestly amazing how it could look like an MMO at its time but was actually a single player experience. Although the graphics were not as technology amazing as its competition, it never deterred me from finishing every side quest, collecting every collectibles and finishing maps by discovering surroundings I never would have thought to venture. I easily spent 180 hours on first run and I'll gladly spent another just to experience this game again Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2017
    Masterpiece! I look forward to the second part. I hope that the sequel will not fail, and will be at the level of the first part. At the moment, Nintendo wins even Microsoft.
  3. Feb 10, 2017
    I could go on for hours mentioning everything that this game did right and why its perfect but forget about that.
    Just GO PLAY and see for yourself. Thank me later.
  4. Jan 15, 2017
    As close to a perfect game in my mind as is possible, this game is something truly special! The story is something special and original, it is truly fantastic. Even the world itself is something I have never seen done in a game, you have to play to understand why. Graphically some textures are muddy, but this is easily forgiven when you see the massive beautiful world. The gameplayAs close to a perfect game in my mind as is possible, this game is something truly special! The story is something special and original, it is truly fantastic. Even the world itself is something I have never seen done in a game, you have to play to understand why. Graphically some textures are muddy, but this is easily forgiven when you see the massive beautiful world. The gameplay itself consists of many different evolving mechanics that are always building and complimenting on each other. This game is quite anime to an extent, so if that is a turn off for you, I can't promise the same enjoyment. Overall I can't praise this game enough, while it is not my favorite game, it is a near perfect game, and it is worth picking up for sure! Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2016
    I have not played the game, But this is why im rating it a ten:

"IM REALLY FEELING IT" - A super smash bros nerd

So yea, Other then that. The graphics are decent at best. The game looks fun doh.
  6. Sep 27, 2016
    This game is pretty much perfection, and is easily the best game I have ever played. The soundtrack is godlike and the story is both compelling and emotional.Despite what others have said, I found that the graphics were actually fine, and certainly never got in the way of the gameplay. The game also has good length, spreading across several massive environments that you are free toThis game is pretty much perfection, and is easily the best game I have ever played. The soundtrack is godlike and the story is both compelling and emotional.Despite what others have said, I found that the graphics were actually fine, and certainly never got in the way of the gameplay. The game also has good length, spreading across several massive environments that you are free to explore, and has over 400 sidequests to expand it further - I spent 150 hours playing on one file and still didn't finish everything. The combat is fun and strategic, although it can take a while to get used to, but there are huge numbers of different ways to play by changing your team and player unit, which can give you good variety and keeps the combat fresh throughout the game. The characters are well-written and well-voiced; I never found any of them annoying.
    I honestly can't think of one thing I don't like about Xenoblade. It really is pretty much a perfect game, and one that you need to play if you haven't already.

Rating: 10.0
  7. Sep 22, 2016
    This is the best JRPG of the 7th generation. There is no doubt of this. It has some minors flaws. But I gave it a 10 because a merely 9 is not enough. I dont want to write a long review (its late in my house) so Im gonna say one sentence: If you miss the JRPGs from the 90s and first years of 00s this is a perfect opportunity to remember them.
  8. Sep 2, 2016
    Not only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself. And the OST is simply amazing! Definitely aNot only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself. And the OST is simply amazing! Definitely a must-play game! :) Expand
  9. Jun 23, 2016
    Este juego es uno de los mejores que he jugado. Los escenarios estan bien diseƱados, los personajes son unicos y carismaticos ,y finalmente la historia, es la mejor. Lo malo que le veo son sus graficos. Es un Buen Juego!!!!!!
  10. Mar 21, 2016
    el mejor jrpg de la historia epicooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  11. Feb 21, 2016
    Xenoblade Chronicles keeps the adventure waiting for you such in a good way that you couldn't even imagine what pops up next. Want something to cheer you up? Buy this game if you still have a Wii.
  12. Feb 4, 2016
    I went into this game with no expectations what so ever, and it has grown on me a lot and is now my favourite game of all time. The only negatives I can come up with are that the tutorials can be a bit hard to understand sometimes. Also, the story is very interesting, so I found myself unable to concentrate on any of the side quests, but that's just because of who I am. I would highlyI went into this game with no expectations what so ever, and it has grown on me a lot and is now my favourite game of all time. The only negatives I can come up with are that the tutorials can be a bit hard to understand sometimes. Also, the story is very interesting, so I found myself unable to concentrate on any of the side quests, but that's just because of who I am. I would highly recommend to check out the side content while playing this game! Expand
  13. Jan 23, 2016
    This game is awesome and it really makes you want to play it, lots of exploration, amazing gameplay, good battle system, the music is phenomenal, nice customization. Overall, the game is just great. Once you play it you can say, "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!!"
  14. Jan 8, 2016
    Xenoblade Chronicles is not only a technical achievement, it is also a landmark for the JRPG genre.

The story has a simple premise that starts out like any other JRPG, but slowly unfolds into one grand 80-hour long adventure with surprising plot twists, clever writing and great character development all across the board. The combat, like the story, is simple. But it gets more

The combat, like the story, is simple. But it gets more intricate when you unlock and find new arts, skills, equipment. It is incredibly simple, yet so damn sophisticated. The difficulty is mostly on point throughout your adventures, with perfectly placed difficulty spikes.

However, with a plethora of monsters to hunt and side quests to do, there is a chance that you might overlevel your characters. Making some of the boss fights a bit too easy.

In terms of graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles is a treat. Yes, it is a Wii title. Yes, it only outputs at 480p. Yes, there is aliasing, low poly models, some blurry character textures and very minor performance issues. But still, it's a treat. The art direction of this game alone can convince gamers into buying this game. The Bionis and Mechonis are two of the most original video game locations/worlds ever. Landscapes that range from huge open fields with tons of wildlife, a town in the cab of the Bionis and a freaking floating sea above a gigantic jungle. I could go on and on about the games' design. Heck, even the skyboxes are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen.

The soundtrack?
    Absolutely beautiful. It's varied, dynamic, original, and above all, enjoyable. It is probably the best soundtrack I've ever heard, alongside with NIER and the original Drakengard.

The only flaws I could find with Xenoblade Chronicles was that some extra information in the ending was cut out of the final product that would've rectified a minor flaw in the story. Some of the side quests design are really old school. As in; fetch quest heavy. There are side quests with a good story, build up and original design. E.g. you get to rebuild a place. But others do feel a bit too grindy.

Overall, Xenoblade Chronicles has it all. Fun gameplay, an engaging story, an amazing soundtrack and beautiful graphics. (Yes, even for the Wii)
  15. Dec 18, 2015
    There are so many good things to say about this game, but I could not bring myself to finish the game even after 2 seperate attempts (first one lasted 50 hours, second one lasted 80 hours). Yes, definitely got my money's worth, but as an RPG fan this is the game that I have the most mixed feelings about.
    The game did so many things perfectly. The vast and beautiful world, the outstanding soundtrack, a very engaging combat system, and an overall very intriguing plot. Think of it like Final Fantasy XII, but better executed in all of those areas. If those things are all that you need for a good time, play this game, it's definitely one of the best the JRPG genre can offer.

"So what is your problem with this game?"
    Well, I happen to have exceptionally high standards when it comes to the writing in RPGs. I value good dialogue, character development, and worldbuilding more than anything. A lot of gamers don't even know what the difference between worldbuilding and 'having a big world' is. A beautiful stage play becomes dull when its stage actors are bland. An expansive world feels empty when its residents are shallow. So, the strongest points of the game, over time, became its most glaring flaws in my eyes.

In most shorter, linear RPGs, I have an easier time dismissing boring characters and just speed through the plot and be done with it. I couldn't really do that with Xenoblade Chronicles, for this game, the gamer side of me wanted to explore and quest in this beautiful world, but at the same time it is not at all fulfilling. Almost all side quests are generic Free-to-play MMO style "kill 10 bunnies quest #6" "fetch plant quest #7", and there's just a crap ton of them. These quests would have been great if they actually had context, creating opportunities for character interaction between your party members, or some kind of side story that fleshes out the more intricate details of the world the game takes place in. Town NPCs across the realm of Xenoblade are for the most part, extremely boring and pretty much the only reason to talk to them is because most of them give you quests, and most of the time they're the aforementioned mundane tasks.
    The main characters are dull but I can't blame them, they had pretty awful lines and their actual character interaction / development scenes (which did little to help the matter) are locked behind something called the Affinity system. You gain Affinity between characters in battle, very slowly and it can get grindy and once you meet the required Affinity level between certain members, you have to go to specific spots in the world for these bonus dialogue scenes to trigger, some are well hidden. You also gain Affinity by completing side quests. On top of that, many side quests will not be available until you reach a certain "Town Affinity" which consists of you doing quests that helps the NPCs of the specific towns. Given how I felt towards the game's side quests, this was not a good thing.
    So basically, the cast is extremely shallow and soulless, and to make them less shallow and bland I needed to invest considerable amount of time on bad side quests. This type of design does not mesh well with me.
  16. Dec 3, 2015
    This game is amazing! It's one of the best JRPGs of the generation and passably of all time.
    It has a fantastic story that keeps you guessing, awesome characters that you'll absolutely love (more or less) by the end, A epic soundtrack, and over 100 hours of gameplay. I can recommend this game to any RPG lover.
  17. Nov 26, 2015
    The best JRPG in years!

+ The most unique setting for a game ever, all the areas are beautiful to look at, even on the Wii + Ditches all the typical JRPG tropes that have plagued Final fantasy in recent years + Huge world with lots of things to do in it, + excellent story with likable characters + The battle system is fresh and rewarding + Hours of content + One of the best
    The best JRPG in years!

+ Huge world with lots of things to do in it,
    + excellent story with likable characters
    + The battle system is fresh and rewarding
    + Hours of content
    + One of the best Soundtracks ever (It isnt very often that I leave the main menu on, just to listen to the stunning music)

- Side quests can be repetitive
  18. Oct 17, 2015
    An amazing title, especially for the Wii. I found this several years after its release after hearing good things. First, the game is beautiful despite what some say about them looking outdated. The game world is huge so it's understandable why it might look scaled down. The music is memorable and some tracks will get stuck in your head. Some melodies reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, andAn amazing title, especially for the Wii. I found this several years after its release after hearing good things. First, the game is beautiful despite what some say about them looking outdated. The game world is huge so it's understandable why it might look scaled down. The music is memorable and some tracks will get stuck in your head. Some melodies reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, and after researching it turns out Yoko Shimomura did contribute a bit to the music. I thought the story might end up being a bit cookie cutter but it's not. I should have expected this considering the same storyteller created Xenogears (another classic).

The battle system is engaging and there are enough characters you can play with to keep it interesting. Some of the missions can be repetitive as there are a lot of fetch quests, but fortunately a lot of these do not require you to return to the quest-giver. I was able to develop an affinity myself for all the characters who, by the way, are voice casted quite well imo.

The game goes deeper than expected through using character/town affinity and gem crafting systems. Increasing affinity is what seems to take up most of one's time in the game. My main complaint here is that if you focus of finishing side missions and increasing affinity, you easily end up over-leveling yourself for the story missions and boss fights are less rewarding.

I had an incredible time with my 100+ hours in this gorgeous world. I'd say if one is an RPG fan and happened to miss this gem on the Wii, rectify that situation posthaste!
  19. Sep 27, 2015
    I'm 90 hours into the game and I gotta say it lives up to the hype. The game is gorgeous and the action-packed gameplay is involved enough to not feel repetitive. The main character is obnoxious and the writing is lacking, but I've seen worse and the game gives you a Japanese voice track option for all you Japanophiles. Be warned, however: I think this is the single most complicated gameI'm 90 hours into the game and I gotta say it lives up to the hype. The game is gorgeous and the action-packed gameplay is involved enough to not feel repetitive. The main character is obnoxious and the writing is lacking, but I've seen worse and the game gives you a Japanese voice track option for all you Japanophiles. Be warned, however: I think this is the single most complicated game I've ever played.

And I should mention that if you're the type of gamer who wants to play as one of the female characters and strip her down to her underwear and watch her run around, this game is for you too.
  20. Sep 2, 2015
    A fantastic game, dinamic, action at all times, the best JRPG of this gen history 10/10 , music 10/10, system battle 10/10, the graphics 10/10 on Wii. Maps 10/10.
  21. Jul 22, 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles is, simply, a work of art. Throughout the story, the player is situated in an awe-inspiring world full of secret landmarks, "alive" NPCs with which the player can interact, and a constantly building, powerful storyline. The battle system starts off with a simple way to introduce a player to using "arts" (abilities/moves), but gets more complex and strategic, as wellXenoblade Chronicles is, simply, a work of art. Throughout the story, the player is situated in an awe-inspiring world full of secret landmarks, "alive" NPCs with which the player can interact, and a constantly building, powerful storyline. The battle system starts off with a simple way to introduce a player to using "arts" (abilities/moves), but gets more complex and strategic, as well as becoming more fun, even when fighting the simple enemies encountered throughout the environment. The quests system is not very well implemented in such an epic JRPG, but, overall, the fantasy world allows the player to accept every quest and automatically reap the rewards for completion, even if one has no idea that they completed a quest, or, it is possible to ignore quests entirely. This freedom of action, plus the amazing story which never slows down combine to make an unbelievably impressive and incredibly fun game, as well as a very fleshed out world for the player to enjoy. Expand
  22. Jul 13, 2015
    After 120 hours of playing the game (+30 for the (pre)-after game), I can conclude that this is one of the most imaginative and creative games I've seen in quite a while. The world this game is set, is just outright thrilling. Just the fact that you're roaming around on a badass-looking giant, standing in a infinite sea, facing his mechanic arch nemesis should already hype you up. TheAfter 120 hours of playing the game (+30 for the (pre)-after game), I can conclude that this is one of the most imaginative and creative games I've seen in quite a while. The world this game is set, is just outright thrilling. Just the fact that you're roaming around on a badass-looking giant, standing in a infinite sea, facing his mechanic arch nemesis should already hype you up. The concept is truly what makes this game. The story, of course, does not fall short mainly because its amazing execution (it gives you dem feels). It is a very "Japanese" story however, like we've seen in many other games like final fantasy and various anime, that is to say that it deals with quite a complex and philosophical matter and does so on a grand scale whilst looking almost like an innocent children's game with our ever so perfect righteous main characters who help everybody and only ever do good. This might scare off the more sober audiences who also might or might not like the combat system, which is a more dynamic version of the standard turn-after-turn combat that is decent, but has a lot more potential if it wasn't for some horrible AI. Well it really isn't that bad, but it limits some of the given strategies, which is a shame. Also, I just want to give major props to both the art direction, which made this game that had beneath average graphics because of the Wii's limited power (if you didnt realise by my 150 hours, this game is huge and pushes the Wii over its boundaries), still look visually incredible, and the composers, who have given us what I think is one of the best gaming OSTs ever, for adding to such a memorable experience (and of course, the feels). I can certainly say that I've spent my time well these last months. Expand
  23. Jun 29, 2015
    This game actually made me think, which was a refresher for an industry filled with "Shoot some stuff and win," and "DARK! EDGY! EXPLOSIONS!" and that's just the beginning. I recommend playing this without knowing anything that happens, as it makes the game more than a game. It makes it an experience. While, yes, the game did get a bit dark at times, but it never felt like they were tryingThis game actually made me think, which was a refresher for an industry filled with "Shoot some stuff and win," and "DARK! EDGY! EXPLOSIONS!" and that's just the beginning. I recommend playing this without knowing anything that happens, as it makes the game more than a game. It makes it an experience. While, yes, the game did get a bit dark at times, but it never felt like they were trying to emphasize it. Every plot twist had my jaw hanging open for about five minutes, except one, because I just knew that it was going to happen. The gameplay is near flawless, and there were minimal, if any, glitches to be had. All the environments are gorgeous, and every area had something different. Overall, if you enjoy a great story, solid gameplay, or JRPGs in general, I recommend it with every ounce of my soul. Expand
  24. Jun 2, 2015
    I really cannot understand all the fuss about this game. I play tons of games similar to this, and this is solidly in my list of mediocre. The character development was incredibly lacking and the world became dull and unimaginative when I was at about 20 hours.

I will say that I did enjoy those first 20 hours though. Mostly, and to an extent. I did not LOVE them. The idea of the universe was cool and the fields were cool and I had hopes that the game would continue onward in this direction.

I started to dislike the game more and more the further I went in. The plot was boring, predictable, and unimaginative. I saw most of the plot twists coming a mile away, and the one I did not see coming I didn't see much reason to care about (I will not explain why due to spoilers, but I certainly can explain) and on top of that- all shock and splendor circles around one magic weapon. Like, the whole plot just about, which is boring when you find out it doesn't do anything you didn't expect it to and the game goes on about it for 50-70 hours.

Toward the end of the game, without spoilers, the grind becomes not just your every day JRPG grind, but an intense circling around one location for hours and hours with enemies that supply little EXP and too much defense for their level. They are also the same enemies over and over. I respect the grind (most game I play are just a grind) but this was just stupid toward the end.

I played this game for 65 hours and only enjoyed about 20 of those. I was probably about 90% through the game and went out of my way to do a pretty fair amount of side quests. This game was just... very disappointing. I can't help but feel like people that love this game haven't played very many in the genre and just don't know what they were given.

"Best RPG of its generation". I couldn't even agree that its one of the best games on the wii, to be quite honest. Maybe the wii market just didn't get enough stuff like this and took what they could get?
  25. May 29, 2015
    One of the best, if not THE best JRPGs I have ever played. Combat is fun and interesting, with a massive world to explore and traverse. The story is enjoyable, gameplay is fun, and it looks stunning (for a Wii game).
  26. May 23, 2015
    Just amazing

This is probably got the best story line of any game ever

Its really sad for the fiftsixth character though thats my only down side

But ill still give it a 10/10
  27. May 22, 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles gives us a different universe, the game takes place on two giants known as the Bionis, and the Mechonis. Starting off it gives us a brief history of the storyline, then thrusting you into the heat of battle between the army of Mechonis (the mechon) and one of the many armies of the Bionis (The homs) in sword valley. Leading the army of Bionis is Dickson, Mumkhar, andXenoblade Chronicles gives us a different universe, the game takes place on two giants known as the Bionis, and the Mechonis. Starting off it gives us a brief history of the storyline, then thrusting you into the heat of battle between the army of Mechonis (the mechon) and one of the many armies of the Bionis (The homs) in sword valley. Leading the army of Bionis is Dickson, Mumkhar, and Dunban, wielder of the Bionis sword the Monado. After a battle with the Mechon, a whole year passes by, now giving us Shulk, researching the mysterious monado after its skirmish with the mechon. Explaining the entire story would take days! Because of one shining point of xenoblade chronicles... It has more plot twists than a circular stairway! Expand
  28. May 22, 2015
    Cool game but way too highly praised for what it does. Except for world and music, which are really great, there isn't much I could find to like in this game.
  29. May 19, 2015
    its a decent game with a decent soundtrack female characters that are somewhat attractive, you have the ability to jump off a cliff and hear your character scream to his death , a charming game for the wii what else can you say
  30. May 15, 2015
    Xenoblade is one of the most difficult games I've ever had to put a rating on... it pushes and pulls at me from every direction, every aspect that I find important in a videogame is both genius in this game at certain points, but also terrible at others.

The story is wonderful, nothing truly groundbreaking but what can you truly expect here? the world has become desensitized to storytelling as a whole, and there is very little left that hasn't been done before, regardless, it keeps you interested. It's one of the biggest selling points of the game as a whole in fact. This along with a world that is so vast, and not to mention interesting from start to finish, considering all of the game takes place on the bodies of two stationary titans.

The characters are well written, not to same old emotionally unstable tripe one is used to in Japanese games these days, again nothing groundbreaking, but it is definitely a breath of fresh air in a JRPG.

But now comes the tricky part for me... while all the above has virtually no flaws in this game, the overall feel of the game is that of an MMORPG. And this may sound like great fun to people, but it truly isn't. You see, MMORPGs are virtually never ending, and the stuff you do along the way playing them actually holds meaning, be it progression, itemization, but most importantly, it serves to expand the story of the world. Xenoblade utterly fails at doing this however. A game sporting over 450 sidequests, of which at the very least half of them are utterly pointless, menial tasks that serve no purpose but to serve as filler content. Truly monolith could have kept out at least this half, shortened the lifespan by about 50 hours, and pumped this game from being great to simply amazing. That's right folks, this is a game where the length is actually a downfall considdering how that length is generated. The other half that is good sidequests however, and do expand the world as a whole, are most welcome.

The combat is another push and pull matter for me. Given that game is on the Wii, you can expect slowdown when the going gets rough, and while this may not be the most detrimental thing in the world, I couldn't help but ask myself "why on earth is this on the Wii...?". The biggest sin in this combat system however, is that it is incredibly restrictive. You control one character, you have virtually no control over the others except at certain points when certain conditions are met. This is heavily restrictive and I simply wish I could have just pressed one of the shoulder buttons to switch to another character on so many occasions. Something they will hopefully fix in the next installment.

Overall, I do believe this game is great, certainly deserving of praise, but as much as I enjoyed it, I had an equal amount of moments where I wanted to throw it out the window. So why the 7? The story and characters completely make up for the horrid aspects of the game, add to that the music and decent combat system that will hopefully get fixed for the better, and you have my score.

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2012
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2012

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.