8.7

1. Jul 4, 2014
    The only downside to this game is side-quests. There are over 200 side quests, but only vary a dozen ways. Make sure you check online to find which side quests are actually important. The game is at its best when you're exploring the vast open world and drinking in its beauty. Combat is fast paced and tons of challenging bosses to take on. Characters a typical JPRG heros and the story twists keep you going. A must play for any Wii owner! Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is massive with everything a JRPG lover wants to see. A solid main story with countless small streamlined sidequests where you don't want to walk back to the NPC most of time to get your rewards. Battle mechanics that reward you for thinking rather than punish. Want a game where you need to walk past two horizon lines before you finally get to a loading screen? Xenoblade Chronicles is the game for you!! (Seriously unless you fast-travel or get to a cut-scene, you have to actively LOOK to find a loading screen) Expand
  3. May 7, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game also works on Dolphin emulator without any significant problems (Only a little audio issue here and there). Expand
  4. May 3, 2014
    The story is breath taking filled with twists and turns in the plot and good character development you will be hooked. The voice acting is amazing and far beyond what you would come to expect from an RPG. The graphics are fantastic, really pushing the Wii to it's limits and the game has a very large draw distance. The music fantastic and changes depending on if it is day on night in areas. The game is very long and your likely to clock well over 100 hours. The extra quest can become tedious, specially with the recycled story text when accepting and completing them, they start to make you feel the game is been water down to lengthen the game. Having to delete items often is a pain because of the carrying limit of unique items. The battle system is a bit clunky in areas for example trying to switch your target can be a pain. Expand
  5. Apr 9, 2014
    By far the best game i own. The battle system is very unique. Even though this game is hard (or i just suck) the game is still better than most games i have.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    9.7/10 Pros epic story, creative art direction, awesome voice acting, wondeful music, likeable characters, beautiful environments (especially the final few), 50+ hours of main quest, well-implemented and unique innovations Cons Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in the pacing (part of this is due to the phenomenal length of the game so this is to be expected)

Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I've played more than a few. If you have any liking for RPGs, do yourself a favor and try this game. Looking forward to the next one.
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    To this day I am simply dumbfounded by how impressive this game's open world is. Contrary to the "corridorization" of recent RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles opts to immerse the player in a beautifully designed world.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks to ever grace this medium.
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    This game will consume your soul for approximately 100 hours, it's like going on a journey to heaven, if heaven was a JRPG. Cheesecakes are at stake here (not really). Mmm cheesecakes...
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    Play the game for 2-4 hours, if you're not hooked then, then the game is not for you. This is an amazing game, really feels like a JRPG from the 90's, and somehow Monolith Soft managed to make the game exactly as they wanted to, without Nintendo intervention (not spoiling anything!)

Short review, amazing game, really well designed battle system, great plot, and overall you're getting
    one of the most well thought out games I have ever seen. The whole world just comes to life in this game, and every location feels like a real place, that has some real importance. Plus the boss fights in this game are just amazing.

However if you don't get hooked withing 4 hours, put it down and never look back. Why? While the story is amazing, if you don't like the start, you probably won't like the rest of it. Plus there is a lot of needless walking in this game. Honestly they could have cut 20 hours out of the game just by introducing a motorcycle or something. It's just too long of a game, it could have been compressed into 40 hours no problem.

That said, this is still a 9/10, it's one of the best RPG's which I have ever played. It really feels like a 90's JRPG, and without spoiling anything........there is blood....in a Nintendo game.........
  10. Feb 27, 2014
    Without a doubt, the greatest game I have ever played. The story, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the world...everything is just so perfect! Especially the music! If you have never played this game before, you absolutely MUST! I enjoyed all 167 hours I've spent in this game so far, and I think you will too!
  11. Jan 7, 2014
    This game is definitely a step forward in the JRPG genre, it's huge, unique, and comes packed in with amazing music, story, and 200+ hours of game play side quests. If I had to choose my game of last gen, it'd be this one for sure. Despite being a Wii game, this game is huge, the landscapes and environments are beautiful. Although the game starts out somewhat typically, once you get into the fourth area it starts to blow you away. The story was just heart wrenching at some points to me and I was hooked on it. Besides all that though, the Characters are relate able, the quests are fun and not required, the secret areas leave exploring fun to do, the collectibles, achievements, and even the crafting system will all keep you busy when doing some grinding, so it's not all that tedious unlike some other JRPG's are.
    Although the game is a masterpiece in story, music- (and practically everything else) It does have some setbacks. For those who like graphics, this game might not be the best on your eyes, but as I see it, the pros blow away this small con. Also, the AI is just horrible at times, sometimes they just fail at the wrong times unfortunately, but it's a rare occurrence. The characters.. although most are amazing, some just aren't as deep as you'd want- but hey, what game doesn't have this?

Overall this game is top quality, it's fun, memorable, and definitely a must-have for RPG fans, if you can get a hold of it of course.
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    The game is great, but I wish it was a bit more difficult. The side quests are also a bit of a disappointment, due to the fact there are so many of them and most if not all are not worth it. Definitely worth playing if you focus on the main story.
  13. Nov 30, 2013
    Bear with me, as this review will be completely opposite to popular opinion. So I bought this game from the gamestop 40 dollar pre-owned black friday deal, and I was stoked as I could finally get this game cheap..this rare game that was praised so much.
    So I buy it and I play it. The introduction seemed pretty cool: these two robots face off against each other and the humans (or homs or
    whatever) try to fight off the little robots with this badass sword. That's all fine and dandy. Instantly once the gameplay begins, I start to doubt the game. First off, WHY IS THERE A JUMP FEATURE? The jump only goes horizontally and has absolutely no vertical height whatsoever..so what's the point? Second, the combat seemed awful. All you're doing is pushing the d-pad left and right and pressing A..that's it. Your character automatically attacks the opponent while you just walk around and toggle the sword icons. I figured, fine, maybe there are more mechanics later on. And no surprise there were. However, these mechanics just came off as dull and uninteresting. The triple attack (where the gauge is three bars full) has got to be the dullest thing I've seen. It's literally just the characters attacking with a regular sword swing against the enemy while the enemy can't move..just one enemy..this can't be done with more than one. There's no epic combo with the three or anything, just three separate sword swings...really worth those three bars....
    Not only that, but when you fight the enemy, the characters DONT SHUT THE UP! They keep giving these cheering speeches nonstop throughout the fight. And you can't turn this off, either. So whenever you engage in battle you constantly hear those annoying speeches. Really prevents you from wanting to battle an enemy, really. The ally AI is also complete bullocks as they die so easily while barely doing any damage to the enemy. And when they do die, you have to revive them only if your team gague is one bar full..and only about 1/6th of their health is revived, as well..making it pointless as the enemy could just do another attack and the teammates a goner. And why does the person need to be "motivated" to fight again after they've lost? Really, game? Does any other JRPG do that?
    The game also heavily focuses on grinding. It's a JRPG, I get it, but without grinding the out of your characters, you won't be winning some of those battles. Luckily the game is forgiving in the sense that when you die, you respawn before the battle, so the need to do everything over again is not there.
    Also is it just me, or is it irritating that you can't go inside buildings unless the door is fully open in a JRPG? I mean in every other JRPG, you can go in any house and talk to the folks inside. What's the deal with Xenoblade?
    The characters themselves seem so one-dimensional...maybe it's because I haven't gotten past 2 and a half hours of the game, but they're just...boring. Shulk is just the "I want to beat them and get revenge" Reyn is the "I'm a smug and I'm kind of a clutz" while FIona is the "OMG I care for you guys so much, don't hurt yourselves." And it's obvious from the get-go that Fiona and Shulk are love interests...they really force that. The townsfolk have nothing interesting to say either...and while I haven't done the sidequests yet, I've heard they're chores rather than actual quests.
    The number of tutorials also irks me. I think you can turn it off, but for first-timers, these tutorials are necessary. It's just, there's way too many, and the way the tutorials work is also annoying. Games need to take notes from the 90's and allow the player to teach him/herself the game through the gameplay rather than use 3 paragraph texts for each new mechanic.
    The graphics also make me cringe. For a game that's extremely long and has such a huge world to explore, why are the graphics equivalent to a PS1 title? I know it's the Wii, but the console can do much more.

You know a game isn't going to be enjoyable when all these flaws are apparent in just the first two and half hours of the game. First impressions are everything, and if you can't woo the player in within the first two and a half hours, then you're really doing something wrong. I just don't see how I could enjoy this game if my opinion on it are this bad already.
    There are some good things though: I love the music to this game..my god is the music fantastic. In fact I'm listening to the OST as I'm typing this review. It's just beautiful. I also love the voice acting; great job on the actors' part. I also think that the story has some promise as some of the cutscenes intrigued me (although the amount of cutscenes (too many) is another problem I have with this game.) But as far as positives go, that's all I can say, really. Not a positive review, but hey it's an opinion.
    I did go back and trade this for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I gotta say is amazing.
  14. Nov 22, 2013
    Xenoblade chronicles is the best game that i have ever played, it has stunning graphics, great quests, a long story, and lots of plot twists, which i find amazing. No game i ever played before has gave me this unique gameplay, and the story really connects with me, when "Shulk" felt sad, i felt sad as well, i think that the creators of this game really wanted to create a game that can connect with the players and give them the feelings of the characters. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2013
    Little late to the party on this review. I hated my Wii up until playing this game. Even now I can say its the only game I truly enjoyed on the system. Even being on such terrible hardware, they graphic direction made it one of the most beautiful games I played last generation. Couple that with an amazing story, voiced by probably the best voice acting of last gen and its just a great journey. That's not even mentioning the gameplay, customization and best in class soundtrack. I couldn't say enough good things about this game if I tried. Right up there with the Mass Effect trilogy and original Bioshock for my top game of the 360/PS3/Wii generation. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    I played about 25 hours and I have to say that this is the pinnacle of Wii games. I will not finish due to being a week away from the PS4 release. But what I have played is a jrpg at its best. Story, gameplay, graphics and sound are all top notch for the Wii. Just play this with the pro controller and not the nunchucks like I did. This is a 75+ hour game so just be warned.
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    THE GOOD: This is (as of now) the best rpg game i've ever played. It has an intense original story full of plot twists and emotion. The ending was absolutely perfect. The characters are a memorable bunch. Voice acting is fantastic. The world is extremely large, full of wide open spaces with a high amount of variety, from grasslands to jungles, snowy mountains, cliffsides, and countless others. The game truely takes advantage of the wii's power and the scope is insane. Its not the best visually, but the character models and environments are still noticeably detailed in such a large open-world game. Battle system is innovative and completely upgradeable. Characters are completely upgradeable. You can change any one of the 7 character's clothing any way you see fit while adjusting their stats. The game has a seemingly unlimited amount of sidequests to do. The replay value is large and a single playthrough can often take a minimum of 70 hours for the average player. The soundtrack is one of the best i've ever heard. Every piece of music is memorable.

THE BAD: This isn't a big deal but it would have been cool to see online multiplayer options. It also would have been good if sidequests had cutscenes or voice acting.

This is literally about as perfect as a game can possibly be in my opinion. Absolutely phenomenal title. The best game ever released for wii. PERIOD. MUST BUY!
  18. Oct 26, 2013
    I have played so many Rpgs in this 7th generation era but I will have to say one thing that this game is certainly one of my top 5 game and 3rd best Jrpg after Ninokuni and The last story.

Story: Story and character is just to fantastic for any game..I cared about main character and his Band of mercenaries.Characters have deep emotional touch with beautiful stories and the main
    protagonist is one of the best i the RPG genere.

Graphics: Even though frame rate issue was there i was always wondering how did the old Wii manage to produce such a beautiful game.

Gameplay: Just 10 out of 10. Blend of RPG strategy and action
  19. Oct 18, 2013
    Best RPG of all the seventh generation, not ha notthing better than his game believe me, if you rave a wii or wiiu, you need to play xenoblade cronicles. this is the uniq game.
    final fantasy, dark souls, ni no kuni, tales of xilia will not have more fun after you play xenoblade
  20. Sep 24, 2013
    I really tried to like this game, i invested a good 7-8 hours before i put it down.
    Although the start seemed quite promising after an hour or so i knew i wasn't going to like it. So what killed it for me? Basically everything felt really shallow, slow and repetitive. The side quests just became an annoyance after a while. Usually i try to finish most RPG's with all secrets items you
    name it. But the amount of pointless MMO type quests packed into this is just ridiculous.
    I was hoping the storyline would save the game and despite my initial drawbacks to play it, i would have ploughed through for stories sake. But sadly it didn't deliver on this front either, It just felt very shallow and fake like it didn't really know where it was headed itself.
    You might enjoy but don't go in with very high expectations
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    Xenoblade has to be the most underrated piece of video game ever made I paid $60 for this piece of garbage firstly lets talk about the story because its just boring and also just 100% predictable the gameplay is no better the combat system is bull**** its just real time combat where you press left or right on the d-pad to switch attacks also the game is extremely forgiving once you die you just start at a check point and the graphics are rubbish even for a wii game now the locations are gorgeous shame the developers vomit all over the locations the music is perfect fits the atmosphere and is just entertaining and just plain awesome also the characters are just boring Final Fantasy 13-2 Tifa sluts I'd skip this game because of the extremely high price Expand
  22. Aug 16, 2013
    Gameplay: Amazing. OST: Awesome. Story: THE BEST. Is the best game ever for me (Ocarina of Time... was the best before I play Xenoblade). People who says it is bad... I think they are a mere haters. This game cannot have a score under 9.5, seriously.
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is the best JRPG I've played in a long time! It's story, dialogues, gameplay, graphics and also it's music (which is made by Yoko, who made the music for Kingdom Hearts, too) are all really good!
    I recommend it to you, if you have a Nintendo Wii!
  24. Jul 20, 2013
    This game was the game that finally broke me, I promised myself I would never touch the WII never purchase one, never wield that dumb condom combo. This game did it for me.

Praise be Shulk the wielder of the Future that is the Monado!

On a serious note this game is pretty badass and if you are somehow able to get a copy of this I strongly recommend this Title. Though finding a
    copy will be a tough shot considering I have gotten emails from Gamestop wanting to buy back my copy because apparently making only a limited number of copies for the region for a number 1 defining game of a console a perfect plan doth thou make (combined with the WII being at the end of its cycle with the WII U being released). Expand
  25. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the only JRPGs that will be remembered when trying to think of great JRPGs of the seventh gen and my personal favorite. Among the others I consider would be Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Vesperia. That is literally all out of at least two dozen JRPGs I have played. But this is a review for XC so let me talk about that.

It innovates a battle system in a way that
    makes battles go by fast through auto attacking, but gives the player complete control of the flow of battle through allowing the player to choose special attacks, heal spells, link attacks, power buffs, and attack warnings.

The story provides a great and (mostly) original mythology that absolutely sucks you into the story and will have you up LONG past the time you told yourself you were going to get off the game to sleep for work tomorrow. This game will have you making predictions, and then completely throw you a curve ball and everything you thought you knew is completely wrong. The characters in this story are very likable and relatable, allowing an emotional connection with the player where you'll find yourself angry and even sad when experiencing the cost of war with these characters. The voice actors are AAA, hands down some of the best in the business. They all have British accents, which I was fine with but a heads up if those types of games turn you off.

The last thing I will talk about is just what blew my freaking socks off. The sheer ambitiousness of this game. It is made from the labor of some of the greatest RPG creators in the business and you can tell. If all you do is play PS3 and XBox 360 and just got a Wii and just got this game the graphics would still come off as a rather impressive for 480p. If you are an owner of all three systems (as I am) and you have played a ton of Wii games (as I have) and thought you knew what the system was capable of (as I did), this game literally blows your mind. Not just in graphics, but in scope of all areas. Completely sandbox open world, the maps are unbelievable large and load times between areas is very quick. The characters have three personality types for upgrading which will give the character the ability to get heal spells, damage spells, or status effect spells. All armor gotten in the game (though some designs are recycled) change the appearance of the character, and all armor can be equipped with gems that range from lvl 1 to 5 (Think equipping materia to your parties in FF VII, with just stat boosts, and resistance effects) which gives the player an insane amount of options when customizing a character. The weapons are the same way, change in appearance and can be equipped with gems. Making the player able to boost the attack on a weapon that has a status effect that they really like that doesn't require a gem to be powerful enough to damage stronger enemies.

Basically it comes down to this. This game will be regarded with the greats (for those of us who have been fortunate to game that long) such as Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VII and Lunar The Silver Star. Anyone who has a Wii U should seriously consider supporting Monolithsoft X, and keep another of the greatest RPG franchises alive.
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    One of the best games that I've played ever. Just do yourself a favor: buy a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and be prepared to be blown away, you won't regret it
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played in years. Every aspect of the game shines, offering a unique and amazing experience.
    The gameplay is top notch, boasting a new and interesting combat system that never seems to get old, even 60+ hours into the game. The characters, too, are very well done. All of the characters in the story are interesting, well voiced, extremely British,
    and not annoying (except Riki, who is the embodiment of annoyance).
    The story of the game is great mainly due to the game's setting atop two massive titans called the Bionis and the Mechonis. It is full of plot twists and character development which keeps the it interesting.
    The very best aspect of this game is its music, which is nothing short of masterful. The very best memory I have of this game involves entering a grand and expansive location, only then to be greeted by the best song in game. Every track suits the scenery it accompanies.
    The only fault people have with this game are the graphics. However, as far as Wii games go, the graphics aren't half bad. When looking at things up close, they might seem to be rather ugly. However, when viewing giant new areas, the game looks gorgeous.
    Take all these aspects and combine them with a nonlinear and lengthy experience, and you get an excellent JRPG and one of the Wii's best games.
    9.4/10
  28. May 25, 2013
    Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details, enemies to fight, and add also that we get sub quests (which can be either annoying, or simple, but they are there!), this game has already a lot of stuff to give. We also get a very nice relation system that even though I don't remember exactly doing much (it was more useful for later part of the games), it's nice to have...but I'll go back to it later. The combat also is pretty good and, ACTUALLY, mix the turn based and action based combat pretty well: infact you actually have a good control over the combat, with hotkeys like in an MMORPG (skill trees included), and your compagnion work and act properly well, because they usually have a role; for example, Melia is the mage (and the only one not very good with an AI, for me at least), Reyn is a "tank", and Sharla is a healer, and so forth, and that even makes combination with your team mates pretty interesting, since they are all pretty unique in their way. And for last, but not the least, a detail that I really really liked of this game...the armors actually CHANGE your appearance, and the armors are extremely detailed and good looking! "Applauds" Bravo, I was really stunned by this, since that in 99% of RPGs (not including Western RPGs), the armor customization is literally zero. I'm pretty sure I'm being vague on the game details, combat and stuff, but it's because these are extremely good and well made, with few flaws that barely are remarkable. Except for the story. While the game itself is great...the story is flatout one of the worst I've ever seen but for ALL the wrong reasons. One of these reasons is that...it's SO predictable! I'm not kidding when I say that even the GAME COVER is a spoiler (just analyze the name Xenoblade...yeah, it's what you think. Yeah, it's a vital part of the game later on). But what about the story itself? It's not bad but I was able to predict any kind of twist, plot devices, character motivations....ANYTHING! I'm not saying this game is bad because the story is not original, but PLEASE at least tell it properly and without being too predictable: the only unpredictable thing of the story, was the the ending! Infact, I mentioned about the relation between characters, which usually means that behaving accordingly with certain characters usually will lead to a different ending: in this game, it serves only for getting either achievements and other stuff, and that's it...and that was such a waste because, actually, the game gives you ways to make up friendship with your team mates, and that helped me to like certain characters because they had their motivations. But then, if the game will have one ending, why giving us a fake trace of multiple endings by giving us the chance of interacting with the people of the game! Perhaps I'm overreacting over it, but that to me was a major flaw, because the ending is also weak and left me unsatisfied. But still...this is a good game and I honestly encourage to try it out, because it's both fun to play and very long to complete, due to the explorations, the skill trees to unlock, the subquests, the relationship building (even if not that great), the combat being fun and smooth (still, we can't dodge by moving away...), and so much more. But the story really didn't get me and I was really disappointed by it. Definitely a game to play and try, especially if you have a lot of time to spare. Expand
  29. May 24, 2013
    A pretty good game overall, and one of the best RPGs i've played in some time. The story is great, the gameplay is pretty good, and most of the characters are pretty awesome. However the reason this game doesn't get a 10/10 is that it simply includes too many small flaws.

First of all one of the things that annoyed me quite a bit about the game is the difficulty: The enemies and bosses
    actually have a fine difficulty to keep the game challenging without being to hard there's just one problem: If you don't stay and farm in each place you won't be able to keep on the same level as your opponents and then the game gets far too hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game actually had a decent side-quest system, but unfurturnately it doesn't. The sidequest are repetetive, boring and aren't very rewarding.

Another big flaw with the game is with building your team. The characters simply aren't properly balanced with some of them being almost useless. And if you want to keep your team as strong as possible there's only like 2 combinations that work. There's quite a few other flaws like some enemies having way too much thorns when toppled and some other stuff, but i didn't want to write it all here. But it's a pretty fine game anyways so if your not the type that goes to much into the details, but simply wants a good story and decent combat, then this is a game for you.
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    I can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. The game...is boring and dumb. Maybe I just hate action rpg's but I just don't see it. It's mind blowing. I gave it a 3 for the soundtrack. Expand

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.