8.8

1. Apr 16, 2015
    There are several elements in this game that, by comparison, go unnoticed by new RPG fans, and are thus, overrated. The amount of tedious side-quests that prevent the player from advancing the plot can be frustrating for people that prefer more plot-based RPGs. There are no buildings to enter and explore - only endless, sprawling landscapes to run across. The grinding in this gameThere are several elements in this game that, by comparison, go unnoticed by new RPG fans, and are thus, overrated. The amount of tedious side-quests that prevent the player from advancing the plot can be frustrating for people that prefer more plot-based RPGs. There are no buildings to enter and explore - only endless, sprawling landscapes to run across. The grinding in this game resembles a MOBA strategy, more than it does RPG leveling-up. There are complaints that the game's graphics don't look "good enough", but the graphics will never make up for the lacking plot. There are tons of "bad looking" video games circa 1986 to 2001 that have much more amazing plots and character progressions. This game, overall, bored me, and I found myself complaining about it instead of being able to enjoy it because it was flat and unimaginative.

Many people claim that Xenoblade is the best RPG of this generation. There is no way to prove this, because it is the ONLY RPG of this generation. The people that rate this game on the high end of the scale are rarely known to have played Final Fantasy VII, or Xenogears, for that matter, because they are younger and do not know what a classic RPG looks and feels like. That being said, again, there is little comparison being made using this game against the RPGs it came after.

The music in this game, on the other hand, deserves a 10/10.
  2. Mar 16, 2015
    In one word: Perfection

Flawless Execution of story and gameplay

THE best RPG of seventh generation of consoles,and the only reason i have a wii
  3. Mar 4, 2015
    I just recently became the lucky owner of this game... I don't know if i can do a review that gives justice to this game.

Normally i would assess the game on its individual merits but this game is too good for this, I will just discuss all things that are amazing. Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world

Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world and quest system, the beautiful scenery and amazing views, the depth of the world sucks you in like no other RPG has ever done. The world itself being 2 huge colossi that are dormant after an epic battle is quite possibly the greatest world I have ever encountered. I cannot stress enough that this game is absolutely amazing in all aspects and will leave you playing for well over 100 hours.
  4. Feb 24, 2015
    The best game that I have ever played.
    It is almost flawless, has more than beautiful areas, a superb soundtrack and a very deep storyline with some crazy twists.
    The battle system ist complex, fun, balanced and has a lot of variety. It will take some time to get used to, but when you master it, you will love it like I and many others did. BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT FOR Nintendo 3DS!
  5. Feb 17, 2015
    [Spanish]: Uno de los mejores RPG de la década y sin dudas el mejor para Wii, una buena historia junto a un mundo enorme para explorar, lleno de side-quests, variedad de enemigos y un combate dinámico que recuerda a títulos como Final Fantasy XII o White Knight Chronicles. Se puede jugar tanto con Wiimote+Nunchuck como con el Classic Controller, siendo relativamente cómodo con ambas opciones.
  6. Jan 25, 2015
    this game is a technological achievement on a system such as the wii, with game mechanic's that aren't even present in rpg's on more advanced system such as the ps3

from what I understand some people who use to work at square left square and formed their own team and one of them worked on this game now on to the game overall great music with one track that plays at day and

overall great music with one track that plays at day and one at night that fits the mood of the environment your currently in, I played it on a emulator so not the best performance , but it stuck with me even though I havent played it since spring 2014
  7. Jan 7, 2015
    2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact,2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact, perhaps partly down to a somewhat lukewarm commercial performance. With Xenoblade Chronicles, Tetsuya Takahashi's Monolith Soft showed themselves to be the only development team to learn the lessons FFXII had to teach. In doing so, they have created one of the most magical videogames we are ever likely to see.

The battle system does have marked differences from its major influence. FFXII's great thrill was that it let you pre-program each party member's response to a number of different battle eventualities and then let the game carry out your instructions. You played the babysitter, watching over your party and ensuring that your planning played out as expected, and intervening and tweaking if it didn't. Xenoblade Chronicles' battles themselves are a little more interactive. Although the two supporting party members are largely automated, you retain full control of the leader, introducing the other two when necessary through your actions. The tougher battles largely come down to the timing of deployment of character-specific arts and can therefore be just as strategic as in FFXII and certainly as engrossing. In addition to the battle system, the game further accepts the limitations of the traditional JRPG model and looks further afield for inspiration, such as to western RPGs - by incorporating a questing system as well as having EXP be awarded upon discovering new locations, for instance.

So that's why Xenoblade is an important game. But what are the reasons it's a great one? Well, the answer to that is: pretty much everything else about it. Every aspect of the game is executed flawlessly. There are almost no systems which I can think of ways to improve upon. The fact that the developers understand what differentiates a good game from a great one shines through clear as day. For example: the foresight to make it unnecessary to return to the NPC who bestowed a quest upon you in most cases, the ability to warp quickly to places you've already visited in the sprawling world, or the fact that death has been designed to be a mere inconvenience rather than a motivation-destroying setback.

To fail to acknowledge every single one of the game's triumphs would be a crime, but I'll have to be brief and just mention some of the things I really love. The game's setting is uniquely imaginitive and so enchanting - two ancient warring colossi frozen in time, upon which biological and mechanical life have evolved. The beautiful environments and the awe-inspiring sense of scale really draw you in and have you totally invested. Xenoblade proves that it's not the power of the hardware a game runs on that counts, it's the love and inspiration that has been poured into its development. The entire cast is so endearing, partly down to their individual stories and backgrounds and equally due to the quirky British voice actors. The fact that the relationships between the characters actually play a part in the gameplay really reinforce your will to make things right for everyone - I felt it was my sworn duty to resolve the problems of every individual NPC. And the heartwarming love story at the centre of the plot is more than enough to keep you interested in seeing the game through to its conclusion.

The music is excellent, I particularly like how each area has a different theme for day and night. The controls are superbly responsive and a sparkling example to all 3D games that aren't particularly action-based. Completing the Collectopaedia, the separate/refine/boost gem crafting process, hunting advanced arts manuals and secret skill trees and levelling them up, maxing out everyone's affinity and accessing all the heart-to-heart scenes, preparing to take on the optional superbosses, and eventually winning - everything is utterly compelling and so much fun to experience.

There are seven main characters in the game, meaning a possible 35 different party combinations. Yet, despite this high number, unique dialogue exchanges were recorded between all the individual groups of three characters and these are sometimes reeled off at the conclusion of a battle. They always make me smile no matter how many times I hear them and they're just so indicative of the care and consideration that has gone into making the whole game.

I adore absolutely everything about Xenoblade Chronicles. I stretched it out over almost a year because I didn't want the thing to end. I spent over 250 hours exhausting almost everything it has to offer, and in each one of those hours I was continually reminded of the reasons I love videogames.
  8. Nov 17, 2014
    By far one of the best games on the Wii (if not the best), and one of the best RPGs ever made in general.

The world and art direction is amazing and creative, the music is top of the line, the characters are likable, and the battle system is very fun and unique for what's typically seen on a console RPG. The world in this game is gigantic and all of the areas in it are visually unique in some way, and always related to the story. If you want an open world game that has way, WAY more than just plain, meaningless barren fields, this is it.
  9. Oct 28, 2014
    There's a reason (or many) for ALWAYS owning the nintendo console of the moment, and this is one of them, alright ps3 had more rpgs (which i loved) but wii got the best one of its generation!

The main point of this game is the story, specially the ending which is mind blowing, the soundtrack is also epic and a must have on cd. Battles are incredible too, never got bored of them after 90 hours of playing!

The only downside i see to this incredible game is that it gets repetitive a little bit after a while, the dungeons have no imagination, you just walk and battle thats ALL you're going to do in them, no puzzle element at all. So why did they made them SO big! So many in this game is big for the sake of being big!

Both the organic world and the machine world are a joy to behold, and the game's filled with amazing characters, LOVE the choice of british voices for the characters, they should do that always, american dubbing has ruined great games like the tales series (which i rather put in mute!).

You cannot go wrong with xenoblade chronicles, is the rpg fan wet dream.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    Not only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself.
  11. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good game with a very good engine. Music 10, design 10, scenario 10, story 10. It´s very, very good and the most epic rpg i played. And i played very very rpgs. Only one problem, the console. Wii it´s not a best option and this is a problem to level of the graphics and the style of controlls. The second part it´s going to WiiU. most better. (Sorry for my poor english).
  12. Sep 12, 2014
    Simply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is doneSimply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is done very well. The graphics are O.K for me. Some will say the graphic looks dated but the game world is really nice. The soundtrack is in the top 10 for the Wii. Overall a must own game for the Wii. Expand
  13. Sep 9, 2014
    one of the few jRPG's that kept my interest
    (short review)
    Pros: +Looks pretty good for a wii game, but the resolution holds it back. +interesting combat system (cooldown based instead of turned based) +interesting story! (it's about people, not crystals..lol) +good voice work +nice big world to explore +indepth skills/ability system +great music +changing outfits changes your
    one of the few jRPG's that kept my interest
    (short review)
    Pros:
    +Looks pretty good for a wii game, but the resolution holds it back.
    +interesting combat system (cooldown based instead of turned based)
    +interesting story! (it's about people, not crystals..lol)
    +good voice work
    +nice big world to explore
    +indepth skills/ability system
    +great music
    +changing outfits changes your how you look!

Cons:
    -Really bad Friendly AI
    -no gc controller support
    -in battle event prompts interrupt attack inputs
    -camera gets stuck, and lags a bit at times

It's a ton of fun, if you like JRPG's pick it up.
    if you like RPG's but often get bored of other because of the lame story, how linear they are, or the amount of grinding they require, Try this game!
    it's quite a bit different.
  14. Sep 3, 2014
    Really the best RPG I have played on the Wii, is an awesome game!!!
    The voice, the music, the story, the game play it's really awesome!!!

15. Aug 30, 2014
    Best game on the Wii, and probably the best JRPG. Or the best game ever in general. The only thing I would rate this game is 11/10 but unfortunately there is no such option in Metacritic. A memorable story, breathtaking enviroments, amazing music, and deep yet fun gameplay which always keeps you occupied by throwing new mechanics at you as the game progresses. This game has all that youBest game on the Wii, and probably the best JRPG. Or the best game ever in general. The only thing I would rate this game is 11/10 but unfortunately there is no such option in Metacritic. A memorable story, breathtaking enviroments, amazing music, and deep yet fun gameplay which always keeps you occupied by throwing new mechanics at you as the game progresses. This game has all that you can expect from a JRPG. Absolutely look forward to its sequel on the Wii U. Expand
  16. Aug 4, 2014
    Took me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on myTook me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on my music list personally, characters that are awesome, and the battle system that lives up to Final Fantasy standards with an added intensity boost. This game has so many things to do, that you will find yourself lost in the game figuring out what to do next. A must buy(if you can afford/find one) for the Wii. Excellent Game!! Expand
  17. Jul 27, 2014
    this overrated tittle... The story isn't any special to me , good music , good graphic but worst fighting system in this kind of game ... it isn't worst game i ever played , but it just disappointed me because the game play really somehow boring and isn't fun to me
  18. Jul 23, 2014
    Fantastic story, visual design and the combat is incredibly engaging. This is the answer to EA's original marketing statement, Can a computer make you cry? This game proves that yes it can.
  19. Jul 4, 2014
    The only downside to this game is side-quests. There are over 200 side quests, but only vary a dozen ways. Make sure you check online to find which side quests are actually important. The game is at its best when you're exploring the vast open world and drinking in its beauty. Combat is fast paced and tons of challenging bosses to take on. Characters a typical JPRG heros and the storyThe only downside to this game is side-quests. There are over 200 side quests, but only vary a dozen ways. Make sure you check online to find which side quests are actually important. The game is at its best when you're exploring the vast open world and drinking in its beauty. Combat is fast paced and tons of challenging bosses to take on. Characters a typical JPRG heros and the story twists keep you going. A must play for any Wii owner! Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is massive with everything a JRPG lover wants to see. A solid main story with countless small streamlined sidequests where you don't want to walk back to the NPC most of time to get your rewards. Battle mechanics that reward you for thinking rather than punish. Want a game where you need to walk past two horizon lines before you finally get to a loading screen? XenobladeThis game is massive with everything a JRPG lover wants to see. A solid main story with countless small streamlined sidequests where you don't want to walk back to the NPC most of time to get your rewards. Battle mechanics that reward you for thinking rather than punish. Want a game where you need to walk past two horizon lines before you finally get to a loading screen? Xenoblade Chronicles is the game for you!! (Seriously unless you fast-travel or get to a cut-scene, you have to actively LOOK to find a loading screen) Expand
  21. May 7, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game alsoOne of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game also works on Dolphin emulator without any significant problems (Only a little audio issue here and there). Expand
  22. May 3, 2014
    The story is breath taking filled with twists and turns in the plot and good character development you will be hooked. The voice acting is amazing and far beyond what you would come to expect from an RPG. The graphics are fantastic, really pushing the Wii to it's limits and the game has a very large draw distance. The music fantastic and changes depending on if it is day on night in areas.The story is breath taking filled with twists and turns in the plot and good character development you will be hooked. The voice acting is amazing and far beyond what you would come to expect from an RPG. The graphics are fantastic, really pushing the Wii to it's limits and the game has a very large draw distance. The music fantastic and changes depending on if it is day on night in areas. The game is very long and your likely to clock well over 100 hours. The extra quest can become tedious, specially with the recycled story text when accepting and completing them, they start to make you feel the game is been water down to lengthen the game. Having to delete items often is a pain because of the carrying limit of unique items. The battle system is a bit clunky in areas for example trying to switch your target can be a pain. Expand
  23. Apr 9, 2014
    By far the best game i own. The battle system is very unique. Even though this game is hard (or i just suck) the game is still better than most games i have.
  24. Apr 4, 2014
    9.7/10

Pros epic story, creative art direction, awesome voice acting, wondeful music, likeable characters, beautiful environments (especially the final few), 50+ hours of main quest, well-implemented and unique innovations Cons Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in
    9.7/10

Pros

Cons
    Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in the pacing (part of this is due to the phenomenal length of the game so this is to be expected)

Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I've played more than a few. If you have any liking for RPGs, do yourself a favor and try this game. Looking forward to the next one.
  25. Mar 25, 2014
    To this day I am simply dumbfounded by how impressive this game's open world is. Contrary to the "corridorization" of recent RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles opts to immerse the player in a beautifully designed world.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks to ever grace this medium.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    This game will consume your soul for approximately 100 hours, it's like going on a journey to heaven, if heaven was a JRPG. Cheesecakes are at stake here (not really). Mmm cheesecakes...
  27. Mar 11, 2014
    Play the game for 2-4 hours, if you're not hooked then, then the game is not for you. This is an amazing game, really feels like a JRPG from the 90's, and somehow Monolith Soft managed to make the game exactly as they wanted to, without Nintendo intervention (not spoiling anything!)

Short review, amazing game, really well designed battle system, great plot, and overall you're getting one of the most well thought out games I have ever seen. The whole world just comes to life in this game, and every location feels like a real place, that has some real importance. Plus the boss fights in this game are just amazing.

However if you don't get hooked withing 4 hours, put it down and never look back. Why? While the story is amazing, if you don't like the start, you probably won't like the rest of it. Plus there is a lot of needless walking in this game. Honestly they could have cut 20 hours out of the game just by introducing a motorcycle or something. It's just too long of a game, it could have been compressed into 40 hours no problem.

That said, this is still a 9/10, it's one of the best RPG's which I have ever played. It really feels like a 90's JRPG, and without spoiling anything........there is blood....in a Nintendo game.........
  28. Feb 27, 2014
    Without a doubt, the greatest game I have ever played. The story, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the world...everything is just so perfect! Especially the music! If you have never played this game before, you absolutely MUST! I enjoyed all 167 hours I've spent in this game so far, and I think you will too!
  29. Jan 7, 2014
    This game is definitely a step forward in the JRPG genre, it's huge, unique, and comes packed in with amazing music, story, and 200+ hours of game play side quests. If I had to choose my game of last gen, it'd be this one for sure. Despite being a Wii game, this game is huge, the landscapes and environments are beautiful. Although the game starts out somewhat typically, once you get intoThis game is definitely a step forward in the JRPG genre, it's huge, unique, and comes packed in with amazing music, story, and 200+ hours of game play side quests. If I had to choose my game of last gen, it'd be this one for sure. Despite being a Wii game, this game is huge, the landscapes and environments are beautiful. Although the game starts out somewhat typically, once you get into the fourth area it starts to blow you away. The story was just heart wrenching at some points to me and I was hooked on it. Besides all that though, the Characters are relate able, the quests are fun and not required, the secret areas leave exploring fun to do, the collectibles, achievements, and even the crafting system will all keep you busy when doing some grinding, so it's not all that tedious unlike some other JRPG's are.
    Although the game is a masterpiece in story, music- (and practically everything else) It does have some setbacks. For those who like graphics, this game might not be the best on your eyes, but as I see it, the pros blow away this small con. Also, the AI is just horrible at times, sometimes they just fail at the wrong times unfortunately, but it's a rare occurrence. The characters.. although most are amazing, some just aren't as deep as you'd want- but hey, what game doesn't have this?

Overall this game is top quality, it's fun, memorable, and definitely a must-have for RPG fans, if you can get a hold of it of course.
  30. Dec 16, 2013
    The game is great, but I wish it was a bit more difficult. The side quests are also a bit of a disappointment, due to the fact there are so many of them and most if not all are not worth it. Definitely worth playing if you focus on the main story.

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.