• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2007
8.7

1. Jun 1, 2013
    The worst game I've ever played. I play video games to have fun and this "game" was the complete opposite of fun. I never once enjoyed playing it. It looks like a charming kids game with an anime style reminiscent of One Piece, but in actuality this game is aimed at older, more hardcore gamers. Each level is a giant puzzle, and it all looks very engaging at first. But when you dig into the game all it does is make you angry that it was even made. Let's start with the controls, they're awful. First off you move around by pointing and clicking where you want to go and the objects you want to interact with on the screen. It's not an enjoyable method and all I could do was wish they would have let me use the nunchuck. In order to complete puzzles you have to deal with the games awful use of the Wii's motion controls. To keep it simple the motion controls are awkward and can be erratic in responsiveness. Now for the actual "gameplay". Completing levels is simple and mostly boring at first but quickly ramp up in difficulty and can be controller smashingly frustrating. This is mostly do to the horrible design choices that make the game feel like on big trial and error scenario. Puzzle games always require you to experiment with many wrong ideas before you can determine how a puzzle can be completed, but the problem with this is that the game punishes you for this. Mess up and you will quickly die and get sent back to the beginning of the level, or worse not die and just render the level un-winnable. This is especially frustrating if you've almost made your way through a level as a simple mistake will cause you to lose all your progress. There are ways to prevent having to restart a level in the form of tickets that can revive you shortly before you die, but even these are rendered useless in the later levels. For instance you've almost made your way through a level but didn't do one little thing at the beginning of the level and got yourself killed, the ticket is made useless and you'll have to restart the level anyway. In the later levels which are bigger, longer, and more complex, an simple mistake can mean redoing up to 30 minutes of progress. It's angering, heck the whole game seems like it's just a way to piss of gamers. Do yourself a favor and avoid this game. I take my reviews very seriously and the fact that I'm giving this a zero means you probably want to take my advice and make sure this game NEVER finds it's way anywhere near you or the people you care about. Unless of course you just like getting angry and playing garbage video games. Expand

1. In the Wii's expansivve gutter of shoddy third-party ports and minigame garbage, Capcom is showing that it's possible to make something original and fun. [Nov 2007, p.148]
  2. Zack & Wiki is a delightful blend of the Wii's motion-sensing technology and challenging yet approachable puzzle design.
    One of those welcomed surprises – an unpredictably top-quality undertaking whose winning marriage of sometimes-genius environmental puzzles and beautiful graphics will suck you in. It also perfectly encapsulates what I always hope for but seldom see from third parties: an original Wii project that really makes the most of the console.