7.9

1. Jul 2, 2015
    Yes, it is 2015 and I am reviewing this game. As a huge fan of the series and a Playstation gamer, I was pretty upset when I found out that this was going to be a 360 exclusive, as this had previously been a Playstation exclusive series. With that being said, I finely got a 360 on the cheap and to be able to play this game was one reason. Keep in mind that I am reviewing this game forYes, it is 2015 and I am reviewing this game. As a huge fan of the series and a Playstation gamer, I was pretty upset when I found out that this was going to be a 360 exclusive, as this had previously been a Playstation exclusive series. With that being said, I finely got a 360 on the cheap and to be able to play this game was one reason. Keep in mind that I am reviewing this game for single player only and that I am reviewing it relative to the other base games (AC4, AC5, and ACZero, AC:Assault Horizon is a disgrace and should never have been made) in the series.

Let's start with the positives:
    The graphics during gameplay are very good, especially for a title early in this generation. I think these graphics would even hold up in the current generation.The music is good, however, not as good as usual for an AC game. The game is in the Strangereal universe, which can make some interesting stories. Unfortunately, that's about it for positives in this game.

The negatives:
    The biggest problem with Ace Combat 6 is that the developers thought that more is always better. This is not true at all. The amount of enemies on the map is just annoying, especially during air to air combat. Rather than making a few more difficult enemies, they decided throwing as many as they could on the map was a good idea. Also, the AI has the habit of launching missiles against you no matter what angle they are at with complete disregard for whether they even have a chance of hitting you. This leads to being in nearly constant missile alerts so the sound track may as well be a constant ringing sound. Fortunately I spent way too many hours playing Ace Combat growing up, so this wasn't a big problem for me, but it stopped me from enjoying air to air engagements as I had in the previous games. Rather than being a challenge, air to air engagements in this game are simply an annoyance. Unlike AC4, AC5, and ACZero, there is not one good dogfight mission in this game.

AC6 had a good idea as far as spitting up the mission into separate "zones" as I will call them. However, as with aerial targets, the developers simply put too many targets on the ground. More targets should have been optional in that destroying them will benefit you, but not required for completion of the mission. The zone system also has the side effect of making everything feel so rushed. While I understand this is an arcade game and it should be fast paced, never before in an Ace Combat game have I spent so much time going from point A to point B with afterburners on to simply get to a new area as fast as possible. There's no time to relax, take in the scenery, the music, or the scope of the battle because everything is so rushed and you nearly constantly have a missile alert.

The story is most definitely the weakest out of the Ace Combat base games. You don't develop any feeling toward your wingman or the other pilots around you. I don't mind seeing a story from the perspective of a civilian, but it ultimately has to lead back to the pilots. I think they were trying to emulate Ace Combat 4 as far as using a civilian perspective, however the constant jumps of perspective from person to person doesn't allow the player to develop a relationship with any of the characters. SPOILER ALERT In one of the missions your wingman decides to defy orders and continue engaging the enemy when told to cease fire, and it's just not a smart decision, you have no input in it at all, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Also, the fact that the wingman has very little personality and the story doesn't focus on him really makes you not care about him and you really do not understand his feelings or his reasons for taking those actions. Also, it's just really out of character for him. SECOND SPOLER ALERT Your wingman crashes and is assumed to be dead during the last mission. Other like other circumstances of losing a wingman in the Ace Combat series, I felt absolutely nothing and was not concerned about his outcome.

The storyline itself is weak, and the execution (dialogue, cutscenes, etc.) are below what I expect for an AC game.

It pains me to say this because I love this series and I hope it succeeds in the future, however I have to give this game a below average review score because of the poor gameplay and the poor storyline, There are certainly elements that are good, such as the graphics and music, however this game simply does not stand up to it's predecessors.
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    Worst video game ever. The storyline is laughably bad, the controls are way too hard for anyone who hasn't taken an air force training program, the action is slow and frustrating, tutorials are impossible to master, it is just a plain old waste of time. The other people who rated this game are being way too positive, considering the whole game was a waste of time and money. And to think IWorst video game ever. The storyline is laughably bad, the controls are way too hard for anyone who hasn't taken an air force training program, the action is slow and frustrating, tutorials are impossible to master, it is just a plain old waste of time. The other people who rated this game are being way too positive, considering the whole game was a waste of time and money. And to think I looked at the other peoples reviews before buying it. Expand
  3. Aug 17, 2013
    I just bought this game and I already regret it. I can deal with a fictional country but make the game somewhat realistic. You can run your plane into the ground and it doesn't explode it just takes a little damage that is crazy. the graphics of the planned are good but the ground looks stupid and you can't even land your aircraft.
  4. Nov 27, 2016
    Unfortunately poor game. The graphics are decent, and some of the sounds are good, though I'm not too impressed with the music. Sadly that's about it for positives. It's supposed to be an arcade game. OK, fine. So get rid of the long delays getting from one section to another, particularly if you have to go back to reload. The biggest problem I have with it, though, as an arcade game, isUnfortunately poor game. The graphics are decent, and some of the sounds are good, though I'm not too impressed with the music. Sadly that's about it for positives. It's supposed to be an arcade game. OK, fine. So get rid of the long delays getting from one section to another, particularly if you have to go back to reload. The biggest problem I have with it, though, as an arcade game, is the controls. It's very easy to overcontrol and lose your direction. Worse, the targeting is abominable. There are WAY too many targets and no good way to choose the one you want. It picks one and shows which is "next." One button cycles through the available choices, and often there are dozens. You can't filter them or cycle backwards, so if you miss selecting the one that's in front of you, you have to keep hitting y-y-y-y-y until it comes up again. By that time you've flown past it. IMMENSELY frustrating, especially since it doesn't lock on as fast as it should.

Lots of other gameplay issues. The targets you need to clear to complete a mission are marked in red, but the constant chatter has nothing to do with your assigned tasks. It goes on and on about stuff related to the overall mission, but nothing to clearly direct you to your targets. I guess it's more realistic that way, and provides some atmosphere, but listening to the same stupid script the twentieth time you try to complete a mission is just annoying. Oh, and the wing man is useless.

The overall story line is completely lame, and pretty dark, all at the same time. Again, if it's supposed to be an arcade game, lighten up a bit. If it's supposed to be a realistic war-and-battle simulation, it needs to be more realistic. I don't know of any real plane that can carry multiple hundreds of missiles.

Clearing some missions opens up new planes and even new tutorials. Then it auto-saves. So far so good. So now you purchase and select a new plane and work through the tutorials. The planes are in your "hanger" and the tutorials are marked "complete." But then it DOESN'T save progress. If you fail to complete the next mission (the usual case, since they're long), the next time you play you have to buy the planes again and do the tutorials again! Wow! If I want frustration, I can just go to work. . . .

The manual is about par for the course, that is to say, pretty incomplete.

I bought my first computer in 1979, and bought the original "Flight Simulator" along with it. This one, sadly, goes in the stack of "makes me want to throw the controller at the screen."

1. The dogfighting, though, feels aimless unless you're playing with people who really know what they're doing: We predict it'll be the stomping ground of the uber-hardcore pilots. [Nov 2007, p.88]
  2. But if Fires of Liberation doesn't catch your eye, I'm not sure if any game of this ilk ever will. [Nov 2007, p.154]
    The realistic visual design married with the arcade controls make for a game that anyone can have fun with. This is the closest to the imaginary dream of being in Top Gun that most of us are ever going to get.