3.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    The graphics are a train wreck. The story, despite being penned by the writers of Battlestar Galactica, is ho-hum. The multiplayer is bland and takes forever to find players. About the only decent thing about this game is the fact that you get to explore set pieces from the movies. What happened Gearbox????
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    Personally liked the sound and music and it does feel more like an aliens game but graphics might not be say most fancy but then not looking so clean is not bad thing for the setting your in, cod always looks to clean to be real on its textures for example. only played first couple levels so not sure how long game is, most times in past when people complain about time they played onPersonally liked the sound and music and it does feel more like an aliens game but graphics might not be say most fancy but then not looking so clean is not bad thing for the setting your in, cod always looks to clean to be real on its textures for example. only played first couple levels so not sure how long game is, most times in past when people complain about time they played on easiest mode, didn't look for any collectables etc and just run though game which is not how I play games. multiplayer maps feel big and its quite good playing one side then swoping to other rather than always being one or other. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly, I do not see why others say ths is a bad game. I bought it and i have to say that even though it is not perfect, It is still fun. Sure the AI is bad but that does not mean it is a horrible game. The combat is nice and the enemies are challenging. The only bad thing is at the end where you fight the Queen, I upgraded my weapons and you just run around pulling levers, Other than that this is a decent game. Expand
  4. Feb 19, 2013
    I have the Collector's Edition. Not even disappointed. This game is absolutely fantastic. I don't know why everyone is hating on it. Sure, the Campaign is short, but it's also co-op. And don't get me started on the Multiplayer. All of the game modes are fun. The customization for the weapons and the appearances is also awesome. I have about 30 hours on this game, and I will continue toI have the Collector's Edition. Not even disappointed. This game is absolutely fantastic. I don't know why everyone is hating on it. Sure, the Campaign is short, but it's also co-op. And don't get me started on the Multiplayer. All of the game modes are fun. The customization for the weapons and the appearances is also awesome. I have about 30 hours on this game, and I will continue to play it.
  5. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like this game and I don't care about you idiots that do the same things on first shooters its different and fun I'm a very old gamer I've being playing everything ,this game is fun ,in campaign and in multiplayer rocks even in call of duty are glitches and crap of stuff and people that complain about any single stupid thing when there loosing anyway this game is a keeper is a solid 8.5 Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2013
    It really is a shame that this game didn't get the polish it deserved because that's pretty much all its missing. I grew up with the first two Aliens movies and if you're like me in this respect you'll probably enjoy this game. You'll forgive it for glitchy graphics, odd sound now and again and some screen tear because it'll bring you back to those first films, Newt, Ripley, Hicks, motionIt really is a shame that this game didn't get the polish it deserved because that's pretty much all its missing. I grew up with the first two Aliens movies and if you're like me in this respect you'll probably enjoy this game. You'll forgive it for glitchy graphics, odd sound now and again and some screen tear because it'll bring you back to those first films, Newt, Ripley, Hicks, motion trackers and the scream of a xenomorph.

To enjoy this game you have to be invested in the Alien Universe. That doesn't excuse the unfinished nature of the product but the poor reviews shouldn't put Aliens fans off playing this game.
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    I was very excited for this game and now i'm severely dissapointed that Gearbox released this train wreck. The game has numerous graphical issues and looks like it should have been released five years ago. There are some parts that will please aliens fans but, a game can't live off of fan service alone. The AI is terrible, especially for the aliens. Aliens are supposed to be dangerousI was very excited for this game and now i'm severely dissapointed that Gearbox released this train wreck. The game has numerous graphical issues and looks like it should have been released five years ago. There are some parts that will please aliens fans but, a game can't live off of fan service alone. The AI is terrible, especially for the aliens. Aliens are supposed to be dangerous and scary, not weak and laughable. I'm a huge fan of the aliens franchise and this game just craps all over a great opportunity to make a great game. The only reason I'm giving this game a six is because I did have fun at some points. Gearbox should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this game, I won't be buying any games from them anytime in the near future. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2013
    Not a great, generation defining game by any stretch of the imagination, but still fun for Aliens fans. Campaign is a little too short, and the graphics aren't the best. Sound effects are great for the most part, very true to Aliens. I probably would've regretted buying it at release day price, but worth picking up when it hits the bargain bin for Aliens fans. Not game of the year byNot a great, generation defining game by any stretch of the imagination, but still fun for Aliens fans. Campaign is a little too short, and the graphics aren't the best. Sound effects are great for the most part, very true to Aliens. I probably would've regretted buying it at release day price, but worth picking up when it hits the bargain bin for Aliens fans. Not game of the year by any stretch, but I don't see this game as a 4-4.5 out of 10 when judged against some of the games that get 8.5-9 in reviews. Expand
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    I rented this game yesterday, played it for about two hours, and promptly returned it. I can do without the best graphics (my first gaming system was the Odyssey) but I have come to expect something decent at least. This game is just not pretty. Another reviewer said it looks like an original Xbox title, which is probably not far from reality. Had the gameplay been fun the graphics couldI rented this game yesterday, played it for about two hours, and promptly returned it. I can do without the best graphics (my first gaming system was the Odyssey) but I have come to expect something decent at least. This game is just not pretty. Another reviewer said it looks like an original Xbox title, which is probably not far from reality. Had the gameplay been fun the graphics could have been overlooked, but this is not the case. My time with this game made me think of the sloppy, lazy controls of Duke Nukem: Forever (I absolutely detested that game). I also couldn't help but compare this game to Dead Space, which has, for me, defined sci-fi horror gaming. Alien is a great movie franchise. Unfortunately, this game does not do the movies justice. Expand
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    Not worth full price but OK.This is not a game you will love or hate it does have some in between ground. Graphics are dated but overall gameplay is acceptable. Co op campaign is fun but not great. MP isn't a lot new, but team death match does capture an amount of suspense as frantic action. If this game was half price it would be worth it. It's not COD or HALO. The leveling system isNot worth full price but OK.This is not a game you will love or hate it does have some in between ground. Graphics are dated but overall gameplay is acceptable. Co op campaign is fun but not great. MP isn't a lot new, but team death match does capture an amount of suspense as frantic action. If this game was half price it would be worth it. It's not COD or HALO. The leveling system is average. Overall an average game. Fans of the series will get some love. Big franchise lovers need to avoid it. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    This game is not great, bottom line. However, that does not mean that it can't be fun to play! I've had a blast playing both the single player, and the very enjoyable multiplayer. I would say, don't pay full price for this (my biggest regret) but once the price drops, give it a shot. The issue that I noticed most, was the poor graphics. It looks like a game from the early years of 360.This game is not great, bottom line. However, that does not mean that it can't be fun to play! I've had a blast playing both the single player, and the very enjoyable multiplayer. I would say, don't pay full price for this (my biggest regret) but once the price drops, give it a shot. The issue that I noticed most, was the poor graphics. It looks like a game from the early years of 360. However, the gameplay is fun, especially with friends in co-op or versus. I was definitely disappointed after having this game hyped so much, but it is not a total loss as some reviews are making it sound. Again, don't pay full price, but if Aliens is your thing, or you are even remotely interested in how the gameplay sounds, look into it down the road. Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2013
    Aliens Colonial Marines was a fair game. There are many faults in the game, especially graphic.
    For example, you can go through the human population, and ugly graphics.
    For example, you can go through the human population, and ugly graphics.
    The game can be exciting at times, especially when the aliens crawling on the wall, and you can shoot them out of there. It can also be frustrating to be in the game, because sometimes you can be wrong, and when you run out of ammo, it's wrong. And there can also be scary when you play it at night, then you can scare up terribly well, because when you turn the corner, you'll find an alien team. Has often occurred to me that my heart was pounding with fear. The management only problem is that the grenade button to purchase your guess was wrong. Now, summarize the content. The game that I wrote that was fair, and you can score: Graphics: 6/10 Atmosphere: 8.5 10 Controls: 7/10 Sound: 8/10 Playing Experience: 7 10 The Game: 7/10
  13. Jul 31, 2013
    Aliens was a good movie, as it mixed horror and science fiction in an interesting way. But when it comes to game all you have is just the science fiction, because players aren't really scared by monsters they can just shoot till it goes away or dies. But this game was different to me, as it did scare me, but only in the sense that I got flustered by monsters that were killing me.

The

The story takes place after Aliens 2, where Colonial Marines investigate a ship and find out what killed it's crew. You later encounter aliens and get stranded on it, then mercenaries from an evil corporation try to murder everyone to cover up their mistakes and crimes. You crash land on the planet and make shelter in the same building Aliens 2 took place. You proceed to pursue the mercenaries while getting hunted by the Aliens. The game does well by introducing a story that leads you across the planet so you can survive and stop the terror.

Gameplay here is very streamlined, but challenging once the difficulty is risen and certain objectives put you in harms way. But it's near impossible to do this alone, as the game goes more for co-op, but then it just get's clustered when four people try to slide themselves into a doorway like meat through a grinder. The game should have opened the levels up more and offered more to co-op.

But if you are bored and need something to pass the time this game can prove to do that, but it is far from being a light in the darkness.
  14. Jun 17, 2013
    Not much to say besides this game suffers from terrible characters and falsely advertised content from the original E3 demo that showed much higher detail, but the final product was poorly created and suffered from idiotic artificial intelligence, yet somehow still managed to entertain me at some points.

15. Aug 24, 2013
    let me get one thing straight if you are an Aliens fan you will like this game if you are a person who likes a GOOD game you will hate this game

so i heard from my friends this game was good so i bought it on Xbox Live Marketplace 40 $40 WORST MISTAKE EVER!!! (DO NOT BUY THIS GAME) so the singleplayer sucked the AI was so lazy that my "marines" were standing there watching me die not

so the singleplayer sucked the AI was so lazy that my "marines" were standing there watching me die not even shooting at all the Aliens don't act like Aliens at all they just walk up to you and hit you in the face once then stand there for 5 minutes then hit you again this game was so rushed with half of the textures missing. like i went up to a console and it looked like a 2D 16Bit texture piece of (yes i know this is Xbox but that is just stupid) the gun sounds are ok but the big issues are the graphics and horrible AI pathing it looks like a 2 year old made this game.

anyways now to the multiplayer
    MARINES ARE SO OP IN MULTIPLAYER i could not kill them as an alien i literaly ran into their face and hit them 20 times and then died and they didn't take like any damage at all because they have armor which aparently is made out of Adamantium or something it is so bad controlling a Alien so slow and half the time you get stuck on a wall and die severs are horrible and lack of gametypes and gameplay makes this game REALLY HORRIBLE

now what i would rate this game a ZERO A BIG FAT ZERO
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME AND DO NOT BUY THE DLC UNLESS IT'S FREE
    Sega never ever let Gearbox make another Aliens game ever again please let Rebelion make another game because Aliens vs Predator is 20 times better than this piece of and for all of those people out there that give this game a 1 or above actually pley the game without useing modds people make to make the game look better on pc because this is just a discrace
  16. Dec 13, 2014
    It looks like Aliens. It sounds like Aliens. It just doesn't feel like Aliens. Unfortunately what it does feel like is a bad FPS game. That's because it is one. Gearbox has squandered any potential the game could have had.

The story is convoluted, bland, and at times really dumb. It's hard to give a crap about these meathead characters and often harder to distinguish which one is which. There are moments where it mixes things up for the series fiction (a character from the movie makes an appearance), but overall it feels like a waste of time. The fact that it's cannon to the series is disappointing. I really wish it wasn't on both accounts.

The story mode still could have redeemed itself had the gameplay been good. It's not. When it's not being a subpar and generic FPS, it's being a bad and boring one. Gearbox has taken one of the most iconic and threatening sci-fi creatures of all time and turned them into generic cannon-fodder. Shooting these almost mindless drones who do nothing other than jump in front of your crosshairs can be mindless fun at times, but it's sad to see them offer almost no threat to the player.

Even worse are the human enemies. First of all why are we even shooting other humans? It's an Aliens game. The only things I want to shoot in an Aliens game are Xenomorphs. These shootouts are often tedious. It's simple pop-and-shoot gameplay. Constantly having to duck in and out of cover just slows things down. I was annoyed every time human enemies would appear and couldn't wait to get past them. They're almost dumber than the Xenos.

Not even co-op can save the campaign. Sure it is a little bit more fun to play with some buddies, but it doesn't make the actual game better. It just means you have people whose company you enjoy suffering with you.

The game does find a little bit of enjoyment it's multiplayer. However nowadays the only matches you are going to be able to find are team deathmatch. Balancing issues do get in the way. Playing as a marine is much more enjoyable than playing as a Xeno.

Xenos are noticeably underpowered compared to the gun-toting marines. Their melee attacks are underpowered and they can't take as much punishment. The Xeno team is basically the losing one. Playing as a marine is quite fun. Teaming up with other players and trying to survive being hunted actually evokes the feeling of the film.

The key to winning these matches is just getting for your team to get as many kills as you can a marine, and then when you switch to Xenos just try to not let the others catch up. When the marine players bunch up it's almost impossible to get kills as a Xeno. The multiplayer is almost dead and not worth putting down the more enjoyable shooters to experience.

Typically bad licensed games like this one are at least worth a rental for hardcore fans just to see what they have to offer. That isn't the case with this game. The references, easter eggs, fan-service, and cannon-story aren't worth the pain it will cause your inner Aliens fan. You're better off acting like this game doesn't exist. It's an Aliens game in title alone.
  17. Jun 16, 2013
    This game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it'sThis game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it's weaknesses. The NPC AI is broken beyond repair, and the Alien AI is nonexistent. Duck Hunt was more challenging. By the end of the Sulaco levels, the story was quickly devolving into idiocy. The story makes no sense what so ever and is a slap in the face to fans of the movies. And my biggest complaint is the lack of immersion. They went to all of the trouble to model the dropship and the APC, yet they are only set dressing. The only time the player gets to ride in these vehicles is in cut scenes, never mind flying/driving them. It is because of this game that I will never buy another title from GearBox for full price, and will share their future games used with all of my friends. Shame on them for stealing from consumers, as this game is a complete ripoff. Expand
  18. Apr 2, 2013
    *UPDATED REVIEW* The graphics may be dated, dialogue may be cheesy and the game may be a generic shooter, but it is a fun and kind-of-loving-yet-misunderstood homage to the popular sequel. It is faithful to the franchise with plenty of tense moments (mainly involving Alien eggs) and moments of suspense, but before you play hoping it will be amazing, be warned; it is quite flawed and the*UPDATED REVIEW* The graphics may be dated, dialogue may be cheesy and the game may be a generic shooter, but it is a fun and kind-of-loving-yet-misunderstood homage to the popular sequel. It is faithful to the franchise with plenty of tense moments (mainly involving Alien eggs) and moments of suspense, but before you play hoping it will be amazing, be warned; it is quite flawed and the tense moments will only be tense for Alien fans and people who know what to expect and if you are new to the franchise, this game will come off as a generic and cheap shooter (though it kind of is). Unfortunately, the game sometimes doesn't match the continuity of the films and it could frustrate some fans and features an ending with is incomplete and a blatant attempt at wanting a sequel. All-in-all, I am a little disappointed in this game, though some Alien fans will enjoy this sequel. Expand
  19. Apr 10, 2013
    When game developers get pushed into making a public apology for a "misleading" trailer, This pretty much marks the scene for a game. Yes, I got hold of Alien: Colonial Marines a good period of time after release and after this announcement. Immediately I could see what the big uproar was about. First thing that is thrown in front of you with any game is the graphics, which feel like itWhen game developers get pushed into making a public apology for a "misleading" trailer, This pretty much marks the scene for a game. Yes, I got hold of Alien: Colonial Marines a good period of time after release and after this announcement. Immediately I could see what the big uproar was about. First thing that is thrown in front of you with any game is the graphics, which feel like it has been thrown together from the 64 bit era. The trailer of this game showed amazing graphics, amazing game play and intense scenes. With the graphics been first the rule out that the trailer showed, what would be next? Well, to be honest, I failed to find one aspect of this game that made it "good". Controls are sluggish, hit detection is just pure awful, voice acting is laughable, story is bland and just the general play of the game is, well, almost unplayable. The AI are some of the worst I've seen in a game and the enemies are so unpredictable and mostly, unavoidable which makes the overall game play extremely frustrating and boring. I understand that this game also has an online multiplayer feature but I didn't couldn't try it due to lack of interest in the game as a whole and the fact the one time I tried to play an MP game, after half an hour it didn't find me a game. Overall, this game is a failed struggle to save a dying franchise. Expand
  20. Mar 22, 2013
    don't know how they could screw up any more than they did.

terrible AI, terrible graphics, mediocre multiplayer, mediocre story, and they have the nerve to sell DLC.
    gearbox shouldn't be allowed to make games.
  21. Mar 3, 2013
    A game that looked so good at its E3 demos, that was so heavily anticipated, and, let's face it, that is rooted so well in a legendary piece of sci-fi almost couldn't fail. And yet, somehow, Gearbox managed to pull off a total misfire with Colonial Marines. While it'd be easy to turn this entire review into a complaint festival, there are some admirable things about the game, so we'llA game that looked so good at its E3 demos, that was so heavily anticipated, and, let's face it, that is rooted so well in a legendary piece of sci-fi almost couldn't fail. And yet, somehow, Gearbox managed to pull off a total misfire with Colonial Marines. While it'd be easy to turn this entire review into a complaint festival, there are some admirable things about the game, so we'll start with those. It's clear that someone paid attention to the tech manual when they put the weapons and equipment together; it's consistent with the Colonial Marines Technical Manual released years ago with the blessing of those involved. Sound in all its aspects, foley and mixing alike, is a grand slam home run. The score is absolutely outstanding, something that should make Horner proud in how his film score was lovingly adapted to a game score. The levels that overlap the films are consistent and show continuity with events in the film. The weapons are generally faithful to the films, with the Smartgun particularly well implemented. The weapon modification/customization system is thin, but adequate and makes a difference. There are enough little toss-ins to make you feel like you're in the film. That is, until you add in gameplay, graphics, and programming. Then it's wrecked. For a game that was supposed to be a squad-based tactical shooter, A:CM is instead a generic rail shooter dressed up in Aliens clothes. There's no tactical anything in here; your allies are under AI control at all times, and won't even take a suggestion from you (not that there's a way for you to suggest squat). Graphics are horribly disappointing...more like abysmal. This is a console that handles high-power graphics Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and Enslaved so there's no excuse. Textures are unbelievably low-res; monitors are unreadable, props are blurry and pixelated. Lighting is good, but implementation of volumetrics appears to have been left off the to-do list. Voice acting is good, but the script, by and large, is the pits, chock full of macho-military cliches and stereotypes. The checkpoint save system was developed by a sadist; there are no checkpoints immediately prior to boss fights and checkpoints are spread far apart, meaning you will have to redo significant sections (and hear the same bloody audio) again and again. The AI is outright defective; it's a good thing that your squadmates are immortal, because an alien will be chewing on their helmets and they won't open fire. Expect no help from them. Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is valuable only to those who are diehard fans of the film. As a game, a 4 is a generous rating, earned more or less entirely by the audio department and a pity point. This game fell so far short of expectations and promise that it's just sad. It is worth playing if you're a fan, but not worth the $60 release price. Wait until it descends to the $20 range (which shouldn't take long), then go for it. I'm not mad about the game, just disappointed. It could have, should have, been much more. Expand
  22. Apr 4, 2013
    What's wrong with this game:
    What's wrong with this game:
    1- Ridiculous story line that messes up the film story and makes no sense, and offers no explanation, with a terrible cut and dry ending. It's cannon by the way. 2- Terrible alien AI that is not scary, but ridiculous, with hilarious glitches. 3- Glitchy graphics with muddy textures, esp. on consoles 4- Fighting humans for at least 50% of the game!? its called ALIENS! 5- Friendly AI characters: O'Neil, you are a useless and fundamentally unlikable. 6- The E3 2011 demo was the biggest lie in gaming
  23. Feb 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So after giving it a 9/10, I started to play more of the campaign and it sucks alot, you don't care about these characters, or the A.I. for the Aliens. The graphics are good, but the thing with ACM is that it was rushed and the campaign is really short, the most disapointing thing in the entire game for me is, the final mission, at first I tought that I will have a boss battle with the Queen, but it wasn't it was just absurd. The multiplayer is actually pretty fun, you customize your Alien or Marine. ACM not being a game, or a brilliant game is good, play the multiplayer don't play the singleplayer. 7/10 Expand
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    Stay away from Aliens even if you are a fan of the franchise. I made the mistake thinking it'd be fun but the game is terrible. The campaign is just 5 hrs of mindless shooting, cutscenes look like they were made on last gen consoles, your AI team mates never shut the hell up and are uninteresting and the ending was awful. Co-op makes the experience even worse as you are constantly shovingStay away from Aliens even if you are a fan of the franchise. I made the mistake thinking it'd be fun but the game is terrible. The campaign is just 5 hrs of mindless shooting, cutscenes look like they were made on last gen consoles, your AI team mates never shut the hell up and are uninteresting and the ending was awful. Co-op makes the experience even worse as you are constantly shoving your friends into walls because nearly 75% of the game will take place in incredibly tight corridors. Multiplayer is also a bummer as playing as the xenomorphs is clunky and awful and the online community will probably be dead in a couple of months or less. What you see in the trailers and vidocs is not what is in the game. It is a lie as the game was outsourced to developer TimeGate and Gearbox only worked on portions of the multiplayer. This is arguably one of the worst games I have ever played and no one should suffer through this excuse of a game. Save your $60 or just play the AVP videogame that came out a couple years ago. Yes, even that game is better the Colonial Marines Expand
  25. Apr 6, 2013
    For the past 6-7 years, I've been waiting for this game to come out since it was first announced. I was amazed by the gameplay demo from E3. It looked genuinely terrifying. Marines were getting picked off from the shadows by lurking xenomorphs, the lighting was dark and atmospheric, you got to wield iconic weapons and equipment to fight off the monstrosities. The whole thing lookedFor the past 6-7 years, I've been waiting for this game to come out since it was first announced. I was amazed by the gameplay demo from E3. It looked genuinely terrifying. Marines were getting picked off from the shadows by lurking xenomorphs, the lighting was dark and atmospheric, you got to wield iconic weapons and equipment to fight off the monstrosities. The whole thing looked amazing.

But then the game came out and I got the biggest kick in the nuts from any game I have ever played in my life. The final product is in no way similar to that magnificent demo we saw. In fact, it was much worse and practically unfinished. The textures are horribly outdated by at least 6 years. The adaptive lighting we saw was nowhere near as impressive as the demos. Even the AI suffered horribly. Xenomorphs mindlessly Zerg rush you rather than sneak around in the shadows, and your AI controlled teammates are practically useless. There's no real details on what happened, but the fact remains that Gearbox has somehow managed to rush a game that has been in development for over 6 years.

To say that this game is buggy is an understatement. I've been left wondering if anyone has even playtested this prior to release. Probably the most damning of problems with this game is how easy it is to lose your progress in this game. Rather than creating a save file onto the hard drive like ever other game on the 360, ACM instead saves directly to your cache. This means that whenever you start the game without signing in to your gamertag, you lose everything. Campaign progress, multiplayer ranks and unlocks, everything, gone. You'd think it could be avoided by simply turning off auto-run and being careful to sign in before playing, but you'd be wrong. Mandatory updates for the game automatically sign you out before installation and are effectively a death sentence for your saves.

I seriously hate calling anything a "COD clone", but what else can I say? Guns have attachments and different skins and half of the game is spent on fighting Weyland Yutani mercenaries. That's right, you fight other humans in an Aliens game. Sure, I expected Wey-Yu to make an appearance in the story at some point, but these guys show up on the second level and utterly destroy any sense of fear that the xenos built up in the introductory level. There's hardly any tension in the game as you carry all of your weapons on your back. So, whenever one gun is low on ammo, you just switch it out for another until you find more ammo for it.

You'd think that since the game's story was approved by Fox as being the canonical sequel to Aliens and Alien 3, that the writers would go all out to make sure the story was amazing, right? Sadly that's not the case. Indeed, most of the game's plot seems like an excuse to just revisit locations from the movies. ACM hardly answers any questions from the movies, nor does it add anything exciting. They had even brought back a supposedly dead character from Aliens and handwaved the details of his survival with him literally saying, "That's a story for another time". If that's not a copout in story writing then I don't know what is. Even the characters aren't that interesting. They could be amusing at times due to their banter, but there's not much for the player to get attached to.

The multiplayer is probably the only thing that's genuinely worthwhile with this game. Playing with your friends in versus mode is great fun. While playing as Marines, you organize together a survival strategy, and as Xenos, you work together to harass and hunt down the marines. It kind of like running a haunted house and feels familiar with playing as an special infected in Left 4 Dead. Fun aside, the multiplayer also suffers from it's share of problems. Just like the campaign, bugs are prevalent and quite common. Also, lag is a major factor that can severely break the balance of the game and make it almost impossible to play properly.

All in all, I'd say rent the game if you are still interested in playing it. But if you insist on buying, please wait for the price to drop and more patches to be released. Because at this point in time, this game needs a lot more work to be worth considering spending money on. From what I'm seeing Gearbox is still working on more patches to clear up the bugs. They have already tweaked the AI, but probably won't do much to improve the graphics on the 360. If I notice any fixes worthy of changing my score, I'll edit as I deem appropriate. But for now, my score stands as is.
  26. Jan 30, 2015
    I think this game is suffering from such a low rating because it has been judged on what it could have been (what people wanted it to be). Looking at it this way, this game is an utter disappointment. People expected a lot out of this game and did not get it at all. That being said, this is by no means a bad game. In fact, it's slightly above average. Sure, the story isn't the best, butI think this game is suffering from such a low rating because it has been judged on what it could have been (what people wanted it to be). Looking at it this way, this game is an utter disappointment. People expected a lot out of this game and did not get it at all. That being said, this is by no means a bad game. In fact, it's slightly above average. Sure, the story isn't the best, but it's at least somewhat entertaining. The control mechanics are pretty well done, though there is a lack of variety in the weapons. The weapon upgrades do very little when you finally get them. Colonial Marines graphics are decent, but a few years behind. They are not what they should be for a 2013 release. The AI was sometimes very stupid and non responsive. Overall, this was a fun game to play through as a basic FPS and as long as you aren't going into it with your expectations super high. Well worth a pickup in the bargain bin. Expand
  27. Mar 18, 2013
    I had high hopes for Aliens: Colonial Marines, but like most people who played this game, I am deeply disappointed. The story is so bare bones it does not even matter if it is cannon or not. The graphics have a numerous amount of problems like screen tearing, slow down, and low resolution textures. I also experience a lot of glitches will playing, sometimes it would shut the whole gameI had high hopes for Aliens: Colonial Marines, but like most people who played this game, I am deeply disappointed. The story is so bare bones it does not even matter if it is cannon or not. The graphics have a numerous amount of problems like screen tearing, slow down, and low resolution textures. I also experience a lot of glitches will playing, sometimes it would shut the whole game down. The fellow marines that are controlled by the AI are terrible and tend to get in the way a lot. The enemy AI is not any better. Xenomorphs do not act like their counterpart in the films, running right in front of you waiting to be shot. The 3 boss fights are also a walk in the park, giving the player no challenge. The gunplay is alright, the weapons blend well into the universe, and the shooting is not half bad. The co-op campaign is useless as another player is unnecessary and does not add to the experience. The multiplayer has one good mode that is worth playing. The Escape mode is similar to Left 4 Dead but with enemy controlled aliens. The other multiplayer modes feel unbalanced and there is only 4 maps for each mode. Aliens: Colonial Marines might have a few easter eggs for die hard Aliens fans, but besides that I would avoid this game, especially if you are a fan of the franchise. Expand
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    Whats bad about this game? what's good about this game? That's the easier question.
    Bad graphics, dumb story, REPETITIVE GAMEPLAY, and HUMAN ENEMIES in this new creation from gearbox. I hate this game. I really do. Not because of the bad qualities, although that's a good reason, BECAUSE IT'S ALIENS AND I FEEL LIKE ITS JUST A TERRIBLE KNOCKOFF OF COD. Now i can tell what you what happened to that awesome demo in 2012, whatever it is, it's aliens colonial marines. This.... Game isn't. This is a shooter that doesn't hold up to its competition in the slightest. This is quite possibly, the worst game I have ever played. I know that there are worse games. But I haven't played them. Here's a challenge, play on ultimate badass mode, alone, with no one else even in the room to talk to, and TRY to have fun. This game makes me sad, gearbox has fallen. They have sealed their reputation not only as liars and cheats,but they have destroyed their reputation by making a false demo, making false promises, and using the hype machine to boost sales. DON'T WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON THIS. If you really want a good aliens game, try the avp game that came out in 2010. But this game isn't worth a triple a price if it isn't a triple a game.
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    I think this is a great game but I put in the disc before signing in to my profile and once I was at main menu it reset my profile on the game.I am very disappointed about this I was a high lvl and I finishe the campaign once they fix this I will play again my gamer tag is: Anthony Ferris I was lvl 17 for aliens and lvl 34 for marines please fix this and my profile if fixed let me know
  30. Mar 16, 2013
    I'm surprised after so many years of waiting for the this game to come to find the the game is full of glitches and bug with a average story line. the only thing i could so i liked was the multiplayer and the weapon customization team up with friend online is so much better than playing the game alone

1. Apr 3, 2013
    There was a lot of hope for Aliens: Colonial Marines but it seems the gaming world is let down with another attempt to make a successful film tie in. The review should give you a few good reasons why the game suffers but other aspects such as the overused catchphrase ‘Stay frosty!’ and anticlimactic ending are a couple more to add to the list and this is why you should wait until this game gets thrown into the bargain bin before you purchase.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not that witty, but I am pretty vulgar—as a result, all I can say is that if Aliens: Colonial Marines had been fished out of a Marine's colon during emergency surgery it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    An unremarkable FPS plagued by dim AI and repetitive set-pieces. [Apr 2013, p.68]