7.2

1. Aug 23, 2013
    Hands down, in the bottom three of games I have ever played. I got about halfway through the game and had to stop myself from continuing on not out of frustration, but sheer boredom. The idea of an RPG espionage where you become the quintessential super spy was a brilliant idea. The custom "class" development was a brilliant idea. The gadgets, weapons and overall equipment was a brilliant idea.The one thing I will give this game total props for is a more immerse dialogue than I have experienced up to date. The conversations were fluid and will run past you if you don't think on your toes and I feel as though the developers created this dynamic dialogue system where it does actually feel like you are interacting with the NPC's.

The tragic thing is, this game had a LOT of potential for me. There were a lot of good ideas. Sadly, good ideas did not end up translating to well thought out game mechanics. First, lets start with combat. Or rather, lets start with how bad the combat system is. The huge difficulty I found was poor level design and a horrific gunplay system. More often than not, to hit my target and make it relevant I had to aim at a target for 1-5 seconds at a time depending on my class and make sure my cursor stayed on target. If I drifted off for the slightest second I had to re-aim and wait for the crosshair to once again lock-on. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem...except that during this entire ordeal of landing ONE shot I'm being peppered by bots with ridiculous accuracy. To naturally hit a target you have to basically stand up with a glowing red alarm on your head and broadcast to the world that you would like to be shot. Repeatedly. While the game has a blind-fire system...it doesn't really do anything. Enemies aren't really suppressed by it and every once in a while a stray bullet *might* find its target.

Next, the abilities. As someone who enjoys using ability based-characters in a game, this was a total letdown. Cool-downs are horrifically long, but your abilities need to be used rather frequently especially if using a sneaky saboteur character (i.e. NOT a shooter). I can't tell you how many hours I spent sitting in front of my television waiting for an ability to recharge simply so I could sneak past the guard next to a door who NEVER moves as I used up all my gadgets sneaking past the other 5 guards who do the same thing. All this waiting will eventually becomes monotonous and outright boring. Also be prepared to never die as many locations are ruined by a poor checkpoint system which has you respawn in front of shotgun buddy who promptly kills you while the color is still returning to your screen....Over and over and over again.

Furthermore, a lot of "secondary missions" are mandatory and are rarely obvious. I remember one level in particular with disdain where I spent hours trying to clear a courtyard in a forced gunfight only to be killed over and over again as my character couldn't even manage to hit the nteenth story mansion behind all the bad guys. Come to find out, if you purchased "intel" before the mission you could gain access to a sniper level which makes the mission significantly easier and even somewhat fun. The problem is realizing this and getting to it is so non-intuitive its frustrating beyond belief. I'm sure late game it becomes fun as many character-related problems likely evaporate since cool-downs decrease and guns become usable, but for the first 10 hours of gameplay the whole thing feels like an overly tedious grind session.

This game had a lot of potential and I wanted to like it. I really did. But after spending hours upon hours either waiting for abilities to cool-down, running out of ammo/gadgets, or being instantly killed because of a poorly thought out checkpoint system I had to put the game down to retain my sanity. Its a shame, because this game *could* have been great.

(+): Great concepts, highly interactive dialogue system, good plot

(-): Lackluster graphics, poorly executed gameplay mechanics, horrifically executed abilities, occasional game breaking bugs, too many "forced" shootouts make playing non-shooter characters nearly impossible early on
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    Apparently specially trained covert spies are not able to shoot straight... That is what you will be fighting the whole game is the aiming. The stealth aspect is horrible for you are going up against A.I which are apparently omnipotent and are able to know where you are and pinpoint where to shoot before you are detected! Or the A.I is either completely braindead. In one of the first levels of the game you see this by a man shooting at your helicopter with an RPG, I hit him twice and he still was focusing on the chopper which was of no threat, it was as if he could only look up and fire at the sky, and the dumb A.I will go up to you hit you in the face once, and slowly move back from your fire. The story is stupid, at the end (Spoiler alert) I have the option to tell this G-man that i have somehow put a grenade in his pocket without him or I seeing it happen and he explodes. Stay away from this game, the only thing that saves it from a 1 is the conversation system and even that is not that great (just hit B to impress Co workers and X for Scarlet). Expand
  3. Jun 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The combat is just awful, ruining an otherwise good action/adventure game.

-Enemies will either run up and get in your face before backing off and firing their weapon, or they will stay hidden in the back corner of the room occasionally peeking their head out to fire.
    -The guns are amazingly inaccurate and the enemies need way too many bullets pumped into them before they go down.
    -Grenades will land at your waist side every 30 seconds requiring you to roll out of the way...except there is no roll action.
    -Rumble should have only been used to let you know when you are taking fire. Instead it rumbles like crazy when you are low on health, adding another layer of disorientation to an already broken combat system.
    -Stealth mechanics are pretty basic. You can't shoot lights out like in Splinter Cell: Conviction and you can't drag bodies like in Metal Gear Solid. What triggers your detection is also inconsistent. A guard may not notice you in his peripheral vision putting a sleeper hold on his buddy as he chokes and gurgles, but he will hear your footsteps upstairs if you walk too fast.
    -Boss difficulty is erratic. Some will die from a few good shotgun blasts to the face. Others need to be absolutely riddled with bullets over the course of 5 minutes to have any hope of them dying. If the combat/stealth elements were much stronger, Alpha protocol would actually be fun, not an excruciating chore.
    Spare yourself the headache and play something else.
  4. Dec 8, 2010
    What an embarrassing game, on all fronts. The visuals fail to impress and the games mechanics are just plain broken. The voice acting is drab and monotone, but I don't blame the actors because the script reads like it was written by a child. The stealth, fighting and shooting mechanics are all last generation quality and the hacking mini-games are absolutely mind numbing. This game promises a ton and delivers VERY little. Expand
  5. Nov 27, 2010
    Like another review of this game before mine, I really wanted to like this game. Even after all the negative reviews I read, I decided that I still wanted to give it a shot. It turns out that those negative reviews were too gracious with Alpha Protocol. The core game and it's concept is really cool, and I hope that something else like this comes along, but unfortunately this game is so bugged that I find it virtually unplayable. Big disappointment. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2010
    enjoyed it, stopped playing it and havent got back round to playing it again. if i shot someone in the head i'd expect them to go down. not turn around raise the alarm and shoot me. the controls and movements seem a bit jeky and not very fluid.
  7. Oct 6, 2010
    I desperately wanted to like this game! Reiterating the comments of the first reviewer and countless other reviews I've read, the game is plagued with bugs. To the point where I was so confused because firing a gun at the target in your cross hairs didn't necessarily mean you were going to hit them. I had a lot of fun with the game in the tutorial where you are introduced to the RPG aspects of the game (which is the portion I was particularly interested in). There was so much potential here.

Here's to hoping Sega can take this game and turn a sequel into a more polished experience.

1. The tragedy of Alpha Protocol is that, hidden behind the mass of technical failings is a superb action RPG bristling with choice and driven by some inspired storytelling.
  2. What Obsidian has crafted is a decent first attempt that shamelessly borrows elements from some heavy-hitting titles in an attempt to make them its own. While we refrain from using the term 'unique' in any capacity, somehow the result feels fresh enough to warrant at least a single playthrough.
  3. Alpha Protocol threatens absurdity only on rare occasions - generally its plot is well conceived and told, particularly when you factor in the multiple narrative strands that can be followed. [July 2010, p.112]