7.9

1. Nov 21, 2013
    this game is a seqeul (disgrace) to mad world... MADWORLD it has NO resemblence itsucks in comparisin and ruins the name madworld it shoud,nt even EXIST sega just made it for fans of mw BUT RUINED EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT IT how did they think making a coleruful (it has blood but i mean graphic wise) PARTY GAME out of all things as a seqeul to a beat um up platformer in b&w&r
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    Despite being released at a budget price Anarchy Reigns yet again demonstrates Platinum Games, creators of the underrated Bayonetta and Vanquish, ability to create a truly satisfying video game. At first glance it is certainly a little rough around the edges but a few minutes spent with the game soon reveals a complex combat mechanic.

A short tutorial and a decent length campaign mode
    (around eight hours in length, longer if you want to earn platinum medals on each mission) helps players learn the ropes although it is the online multi-player that is supposed to take the main bulk of players time. Essentially these online modes are Call of Duty with melee combat rather than guns. Played out over large game maps and featuring up to sixteen super powered players it is quite unlike anything ever seen in gaming. Truth be told things can become a little too manic on occasions but it is always fun.

It can unfortunately be difficult to find a game, sometimes you’ll find a lobby instantly but I've sat for 20 minutes a few times I still not found anyone to play with. Of course this isn't the fault of the game and so it can't be marked down for it but it's worth noting for those interested in buying it mainly to play over Xbox Live.
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Yes, Anarchy Reigns is. A great game. Filled with bloody cult humour the game is so good you will not want to give it up. Reasonably this game has some fixing issues but lets face this this game is great.
  4. Jan 25, 2013
    I enjoyed most of the game, the campaign was rather short and was pretty much the same places but different areas. So it seemed a little monotonous playing through it and the final boss was rather lackluster. The combat is satisfying, there is a good amount of combos and the left trigger allows for the character specific Killer Weapon attacks which can turn a fight to your favor. Now mainly the problem I have is the online play. I can't speak for the PS3 version, but it seems like it takes at least 15-20 mins to find a match on quick start and don't even bother with some of the playlists because they're dead. Then with the game coming out long after the Japanese version, there are a ton of max level people out there that just cream me each time. Maybe I just need to get better, but most of the time I was getting stun locked in an endless combo and dying fairly quick. All in all, it was good for what I paid for, a short, fun campaign and a mostly fun multiplayer experience. It's a nice holdover until my most anticipated Platinum Games release, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Expand
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Anarchy Reigns has an amazing story mode, memorable fighters, great frame animation, AWESOME soundtrack, and loads of battle modes offline and online. BUY THIS GAME NOW! Oh and fans also get to play as Bayonetta if they pre-ordered it. Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2013
    I love Platinum games, as like Clover before them, they come up with exciting games, that manage to pack in well-worn ideas, yet, give them a veneer encusted with jewels of amazing gimmicks. Anarchy Reigns is no different!! In what would be the best way to describe it as a pseudo-sequel to Madworld, Jack Cayman and friends are back, but in a much more open-world brawler, without the artistic visual directions of Madworld, and with many insane game directions that feel at times like an episode of Power Stone. Graphics vary from good to occasionally scrappy, sound is the usual biffs and clunks accentuated by some great musical interludes, but they both contribute towards a distinct 'arcade' feel - its almost as if you can see the cigarette burns and soft drink stains on the arcade cabinet as you're playing the game!! The Campaign is good fun and satisfying, but the multiplayer is where its at!! Initiallly you'll be owned, but perseverence is the key, and you'll find yourself advancing (and lasting longer than 30 seconds a time!!). Anarchy Reigns perhaps has a few flaws here and there, but they're forgiven; what you have here is a true bona-fide arcade experience and a treat for videogame scrappers everywhere. At its cheap price (£20 here in the UK, $30 in the US) its a bargain for sure, and you should be looking it up now!! Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    Anarchy Reigns is a breath of fresh air in what seems to be an industry striving to come up with good ideas. A game that isn't afraid to have fun with it's content and try and give gamers a hectic experience where they can sit back and enjoy the craziness of it all, or get competitive with it, and while the game lacks polish, it more than makes up for it with the heart and addicting gameplay, and for 30 dollars I can't help but encourage others to give it a try. How many other games offer the chance to pile drive a helicopter into a cyborg cop while playing as a giant robot bull? Don't miss out, and jump into the **** Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    I was tired of shoot 'em up. The game of Platinum Games and Sega offers a different experience and not so monotonous. While the servers keep running, I'll be there.
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    Far from being the perfect game with some matchmaking issues and lag, but it is a great value at 30 USD and it is at least incredibly fun with a kick-ass soundtrack to boot.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    Punch a giant robot bull with your chainsaw arm while a plane smashes into the level and kills everybody. If that doesn't sound amazing to you, it's your loss.
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    Before anything: I've played this games when it was released in June (Japan), so I've played it a while: the story is set in a distant future and chaotic, where terrorism has become more abundant, there is a struggle for resources, and the nations went to war with chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, wreaking destruction. New and dangerous viruses were developed and spread across the seas, besides the pollution released by emerging nations, and mutations begin to occur by damaged human DNA.

Mankind would be extinct were it not for the development of nano-machines and cybernetic organisms: using nano-machines that repair DNA and with the addition of cybernetic limbs. Even so, the chaos and anarchy that spread throughout the world has no solution. The game begins with Jack drinking in a bar and he is hunted by a man, Dimitri - you choose between two sides, Black (Jack: he's a Cleanrer in search of a missing man) and Light (Leo - he's a Sweeper in search of a traitor), each with its own story.

The graphics are cyberpunk regular ones, somewhat pixilated, mixed with post-apocalyptic things, but are not sharp, and have some blurry textures. This is seen mostly in the Multiplayer, that have up to 16 players.

The highlight in this area is that CGs vaguely tell what happens and where we note a greater polish and attention to detail - but nothing on the level of the two main games of Platinum. The animations of the fights are fast, and well done, especially the multitude of moves that can be given, from normal to special executions.

The scenarios are of devastated cities,dust, mixed with things like mutant plants, plus occasional lifts, and physical boundaries. The enemies are varied according to the stage, but appear out of nowhere and without explanation in waves, always in groups of enemies alike in appearance.

The game has a electronic beats and synths background, but we get tired after a while. The rest of the game the audio is good, with screaming enemies and noises and explosions.

The gameplay is the typical Arena one, reminded me a lot Shadowrun mixed with Fist of the North Star, in closed stages, facing wave after wave of enemies, always repetitive clones and among themselves. At certain points marked by lights in scenarios you can trigger a mission, consisting eg in mutants kill 50 in 5 minutes, and these tasks may be needed to progress in history, or to be free-roam, to earn XP. With XP you can improve your character and unlock more missions.

To give the "air of varied scenery", more nonsense: sudenly an alert appears, announcing that the city is being bombed, or that a black hole appeared, leaked poisonous gas, or a Truck is disgoverned destroying everything - and it's ridiculous, for example the Truck got a elevator to get to me.

To try to give some variety, there are items such as things that can be thrown, turrets, flamethrowers, and my electric weapons that can be used in small numbers of times.

Summary: Despite the prerogative of being innovative, I only recommend this for fans of online arena games - the game has good to regular graphics, somewhat confusing gameplay, is repetitive and dull, plus a nonsense story and campaign nonsense, with very repetitive missions. Do not waste your time with this game, unless you like the genre or non-sense games - of course it was a nice thing to lower the price to 30US$ overseas, because it would be much sells otherwise.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    Anarchy Reigns is a game I picked up alongside another certain action game released in January
  13. Jan 14, 2013
    It is a Platinum game! They truly do make games for the gamer. I have loved every title they have produced and Anarchy Reigns is no different. At a discounted price, there is no reason not to buy this fresh new IP. While you are at it, pick up Bayonetta and Vanquish. The latter being greatly under appreciated. You should grab Suda 51's games Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw as well.
  14. Jan 12, 2013
    Not bad for a brawling fighting game, but I think Platinum Games puts the icing on the cake on that one. I've played Bayonetta, but I didn't play MadWorld yet. Reigns may not be as good as both games, but $29.99 at Gamestop? Wow, I thought it was $59.99, but then the price was dropped after it was delayed because it was supposed to be in stores July 2012. Now it's 2013, this is gonna be a sleeper hit or a cult following. I was sorta confused that the story may look cheesey, but all the action and kick-ass gameplay is awesome. I like the single-player campaign, but multiplayer took one step backwards and it nearly cost them. Sometimes it's half-Dynasty Warriors and half-Devil May Cry, but if it fits then I'll enjoy the dogfights and other features. Bayonetta, on the other hand as a DLC, look pretty amazing. I mean, I get to play her and features some of her new moves that didn't make the cut from the original Bayonetta game in 2010. Like I said, for around $30, Anarchy Reigns might be a bit challenging, but I'll give it a shot. Quite possibly my favorite game to kick start the new year. Thanks, Platinum. Expand
  15. Jan 11, 2013
    Anarchy Reigns was originally set to launch in North America early-mid 2012, but it was then delayed until 2013, even though the game was finished. While the game was really close to cancellation for North America, a date was finally set, but it was a long wait to endure. However, the wait is over and Anarchy Reigns is here, but was it worth it? Two words: Hell yes!

Anarchy Reigns is a
    3D brawler at its core that combines brawling and fighting like God Hand or Fist of the North Star, hence my comparison to those games. But the difference is that Anarchy Reigns has the unique and quirky flavor of Platinum and Sega games. While everything that makes a Platinum game their own is on display, it also feels like one of those gems you'd play on the Sega Dreamcast back in the day.

The single player campaign has two interwoven plots, offering two different characters to play as (Jack Cayman, Leonhardt "Leo" Victorion), which allows you to play in two different ways with two different takes. This gives you replayability for the single player content. Speaking of the single player, you're given hub world environments to roam around, beat up bad guys, collect things, and just have fun in-between the story and side missions, so it's not just a straight up linear mission-to-mission game, but it's also not a large open world, just hub environments that give you a little more sense of freedom.

The other part of the package is the multiplayer, which is truly unique and unlike anything else out there. It's fast and hectic, but it all performs admirably online and hasn't been plagued with issues or anything from my experience. While there are some incredibly skilled players out there, I'm not one of them yet, but it's even fun to play when you're losing. It's just so different, which leads me to believe this'll maintain a community for a good while. There are a bunch of different modes to enjoy in the multiplayer package, which includes the established modes like DM and TDM. You can choose from 16 different characters in multiplayer, all of which have their own fighting styles, signature kill moves, etc.

Also, since I haven't mentioned it yet, I must say that the combat in this game is awesome. You could compare this game to Madworld, but it's really a lot deeper and more satisfying in terms of the combat. It's almost impossible to say how it feels, as it feels entirely different depending on who you're playing as, but if you're playing as Jack Cayman, the game's combat is meaty and focused on more of a brawler style, but you can play as one of the more quick and agile characters in multiplayer, which includes Bayonetta if you pre-ordered the game elsewhere. Hopefully SEGA will release Bayonetta as DLC sometime in the near future for everyone else.

As far as the graphics go, Anarchy Reigns isn't the most beautiful game or anything, but it gets the job done. Also, lip syncing doesn't sync up perfectly since the mouths animate with the Japanese VO and they just put English VO in without reanimating the mouths on the characters. The animation work, though, is spectacularly well done, and I don't want to imagine the work they put into all 16 characters.

Anarchy Reigns is a new IP that's fresh and interesting, as it offers something new to gamers who are sick and tired of the status quo. This is a ridiculously fun game that offers a meaty single player with two campaigns, an online multiplayer that isn't an FPS, and just a load of fun for anyone wanting some originality. It certainly has its comparisons to God Hand (Anarchy Reigns developers worked on this), Fist of the North Star (which hasn't had a good game), and Madworld (Same developer, one of the same main characters), but this does it so well and brings it to the online arena, allowing you to share the fun with other gamers worldwide. Bravo, Platinum Games, bravo!
  16. Jan 10, 2013
    A good game to release the start of the new year, there was no good beat em up game that release to the PS3 nor xbox 360. I'm happy that Platinum release another of their masterpiece into the PS3. Insane, chao multiplayer is what make this game awesome! The Campaign is okay, it let you choose to be the White side or the black side with each different enemies and story . You can also train you character of your choice by training mode (Highly recommend to play the Campaign first) to improve your skill with the character to be prepare for multiplayer. In case your a beginner in this game which everyone is, there the tutorial in the main menu where you can get to know how the game is play & once your get used to the control, you be having a one hell alot of fun. There also alot of modes in multiplayer, that keep you entertaining. Other than all i say in this game is, highly recommend to purchase this game if you want something different and fun. It only 29$ and have a lot of content than other 60$ game, no joke. Go out and get now for just 29$! Expand
  17. Jan 10, 2013
    Aside from the odd glitch (none game breaking at all), Anarchy Reigns is another no-brainer buy from Platinum Games. And with a $30 price tag? Good online, decent campaign. Power Stone meets Mad World with a killer sound track to boot.
  18. Jan 9, 2013
    Great Game, and even better for just 30$. Online Multiplayer is the main focus of this game, while the story isn't that great, so you love it or hate it. I'm currently loving it. Music's very nice too. A good mix between a hack'n slash and a fighting game.
  19. Jan 8, 2013
    platinum delivers again. great game, fantastic music, fantastic art. characters and combat are amazing. for $30 you can't go wrong. lots of over-the-top fun.
  20. Jan 8, 2013

1. Mar 15, 2013
    Anarchy Reigns is an over-the-top beat 'em up adventure with a half-baked single player mode. The multiplayer makes up for it, though. That is, when there are enough players. Anarchy Reigns desperately needs automatic playlists. [March 2013]
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    An interesting idea – a 3D brawler focused on multiplayer. The combat system seems simple but offers quite a bit of depth. Unfortunately it is hard to find people to play with over the Internet and the single player mode is dull as hell. [CD-Action 03/2013, p.64]
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Anarchy Reigns is the last act of the relationship between Sega and Platinum Games. The final seal is not a masterpiece like Bayonetta, but quite a brawler game that transports the world of Mad World in multiplayer arenas.