7.6

1. Hobsie
    Jun 7, 2010
    The Graphics are far better than Madden, the game play is far more exciting than Madden, the entire feel of the game is far better than Madden. As long as you can look past the lack of licensing (which just isn't that important for me) then this is the best Football game on the market as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I am sick fed up of being drip fed a 'new' Madden The Graphics are far better than Madden, the game play is far more exciting than Madden, the entire feel of the game is far better than Madden. As long as you can look past the lack of licensing (which just isn't that important for me) then this is the best Football game on the market as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I am sick fed up of being drip fed a 'new' Madden each year. This game is is such a breath of fresh air! Expand
  2. RaymondC.
    Jun 2, 2010
    Player movement, gang tackes and amazing gameplay make this a great game.
  3. AaronW.
    Jun 4, 2010
    Great all-around game from a company putting out its first product. Sure, it has its flaws like every game, but its definitely worth 45 bucks and its the best sports game I've played since NFL 2k5. A+.
  4. EmJayS
    Jun 10, 2010
    Is only worth anything at all because it displays to Electronic Arts the application of Euphoria physics in a football environment. Nothing else in this game comes close to a realistic, or even fun, football experience. Terrible game.
  5. RyanS
    Jun 1, 2010
    Compared to other series' first attempts at football this generation, Backbreaker is by far the best. The game is pretty bare bones, but the actual football is pretty impressive for a first attempt at a game. Defense is insanely fun to play. The offense could use some fine tuning, but overall I was very impressed with this game. Hopefully we will one day see a Backbreaker 2.
  6. WalterR
    Jun 1, 2010
    This game is AWESOME! Awesome tackles, simple controls and a camera that puts you down in the trenches. Football has changed forever!
  7. MattG
    Jun 2, 2010
    Great game, just needs playing for a bit.
  8. TomM.
    Absolutely amazing game!!!!
  9. DaveC.
    Jun 2, 2010
    The best thing going for this game, is that it isn't Madden. It's fresh! It's not a roster update year after year after year after year for $60. The game takes some getting used to, and I think that's why people won't like it. If you want the NFL licenses, create them with the most in-depth creation ever in a football game.
  10. EricD.
    Jun 2, 2010
    For the first time out the gate it's pretty dang good. Looks more real, doesn't seemed canned like some other sports games.
  11. Richard
    Jun 2, 2010
    Great fopotball game that often gets overlooked with the little things that make football truely great. Captures the emotions of being on the field and its ashame most of these reviews are either from EA biased reporters or people that dont want change.
  12. TomY
    Jun 3, 2010
    "Looks pretty" is not enough to make a football game worth buying.
  13. WillV
    Jun 3, 2010
    Backbreaker is a different type of football game, because its lost between arcade style and realism. I find it fun at times, mainly while rushing the ball. At other times it is overly frustrating, as when I am passing. The passing game is difficult to get used to, and if you want to throw anything that is not a bullet pass your pretty much going to either mess up and just stand there or Backbreaker is a different type of football game, because its lost between arcade style and realism. I find it fun at times, mainly while rushing the ball. At other times it is overly frustrating, as when I am passing. The passing game is difficult to get used to, and if you want to throw anything that is not a bullet pass your pretty much going to either mess up and just stand there or pump fake. The game modes are decent, tackle alley is a very fun and addicting part of the game. Besides that the other game modes feel as if they are back in sega genesis time. Also, the playbook is the most frustrating part of the game, its hard to navigate you can only see four plays at a time, and you need to make it through four menus before the time runs out to even pick a play if your not on arcade mode. Lastly, the focus is part is fun on any player, let it be offensive, defensive, etc, the bad part of the view is switching between players. The camera likes to fling me around when I switch players and sometimes I end up running the opposite way that I want because when I switched the player is facing the complete opposite way. All in all its a good game, I can see myself playing through the season several times and learning the in's and out's of the game more intently. However, its weaknesses will need to be improved on through updates and possibly a Backbreaker 2. PS. Please fix the replay's, I want to save some of my good moves and not actually see what happens on a field goal. Expand
  14. RicheyL
    Jun 3, 2010
    Best Next-Gen Football Game (actually the only-since Madden is STILL Madden93, only worse playability. Reviews are extremely biased, EA pays the bills. Serious FUN, awesome customization, LOVE the game, no more Madden, finally something DIFFERENT, and BETTER!
  15. LaurentB.
    Jun 7, 2010
    I really like the game, I have spent over 20 hours with the game already and i can't complain about the camera, glitches, bugs, etc... once you know how to work with the camera etc., the game is really enjoyable, especially my favourite mode: road to backbreaker, it really feels good to see your own custom made team develop in progress.
  16. MatP
    Jun 8, 2010
    At its core, its an extremely solid game of football, at times it reminds me a lot of the fun I had playing NFL 2k5. Gameplay wise I'd definitely say this game has it over Madden 10 which suffers from ridiculously broken tackling and ball trajectories that warp to the nearest player with the highest stats as opposed to, you know, obeying the laws of physics. Gamebreaker however does At its core, its an extremely solid game of football, at times it reminds me a lot of the fun I had playing NFL 2k5. Gameplay wise I'd definitely say this game has it over Madden 10 which suffers from ridiculously broken tackling and ball trajectories that warp to the nearest player with the highest stats as opposed to, you know, obeying the laws of physics. Gamebreaker however does lack all the ancillaries that hardened fans crave. Essentially you have to weigh gameplay against licensed teams, deep team management and all the little touches that make Madden a more palatable experience (injuries, fatigue, stadium crowds, sideline action, commentary, subtle differences between players, etc). If you can find it on the cheap, its well worth a look. Otherwise I hope its a successful proof of concept that sells the Euphoria engine to Tiburon, and we'll see it included in Madden 12. Expand
  17. NathanJ
    Jun 1, 2010
    Just watch the videos if you don't believe. A truly deep game once you understand it.
    Jun 1, 2010
    Nice physics...nice custom team editor.... that's about it. Poor atmosphere, poor presentation, no fatigue, no injury, no NFL, no commentary, no referees, no trades during season, no individuality to the players, same playbook for all teams, no in game stats, generic overlays during games, long waits between plays watching animated scoreboard etc, no football AI, Too many bugs like Nice physics...nice custom team editor.... that's about it. Poor atmosphere, poor presentation, no fatigue, no injury, no NFL, no commentary, no referees, no trades during season, no individuality to the players, same playbook for all teams, no in game stats, generic overlays during games, long waits between plays watching animated scoreboard etc, no football AI, Too many bugs like 108 yard extra point attempts. In my opinion they needed another 6 months to 1 year of further developing before releasing this "game" Download the demo, if you like it then you will love it. If you say this seems very stripped down and surely the full game will be better you will be severely disappointed. Expand
  19. NealB
    Jun 3, 2010
    Definitely a fun experience but we'll need to wait a few more iterations to get back to where we were with NFL 2K5. When this game hits $20-$30 bucks, it is definitely worth a look.
  20. AmirisH.
    Jun 4, 2010
    the game does not deserve the ratings its getting. most of us football gamers know this. id give the game a solid 8 but since the critics arent giving the game fair trial & ive put 30 hours in it, i put 10. how you guys like that!
  21. TaylorF.
    Jun 5, 2010
    This game is amazing, besides the emptiness in the season modes, I love this game. It's challenging and really fun. I also feel the game is really rewarding after a big play. At the least, rent this game. It is really entertaining. Did I mention the logo editor / creator. Imagine if Forza was a football game. A blast of fun.
  22. RobbyG
    Jun 9, 2010
    Backbreaker is the most fun I've had with a Football game since NFL 2K5. The animation engine is the smoothest (and probably most expensive) out there, everything is real-time, everything is just great. Although I agree there are a few bugs, just like any game, and the season mode is shallow, this game is a must buy for the price.
  23. ToddE
    Jun 12, 2010
    This is the best football video game I have ever played! Yes, the controls are a little tricky to learn and their are some issues, but the game is so revolutionary in its physics it is easy to look past that. Here's hoping this series doesn't die because of bad press and big bad EA Sports having control of the market.
  24. Nov 16, 2012
    Great alternative to Madden series, offering a really different concept with third person camera action and passing with the right stick. A MUST GET for any football fan. I played more than 100 games before starting to get bored, 5 seasons in the career mode after creating an awesome team with the logo, name and the colors, be careful while creating because you won't be changing anythingGreat alternative to Madden series, offering a really different concept with third person camera action and passing with the right stick. A MUST GET for any football fan. I played more than 100 games before starting to get bored, 5 seasons in the career mode after creating an awesome team with the logo, name and the colors, be careful while creating because you won't be changing anything for the career afterwards :=) Expand
  25. May 7, 2014
    Best sports game i have ever played, madden is too serious but with this, me and my friend, we have soooooooo much fun with the tackle system and some of the greatest times i have had come out of this game
  26. Apr 2, 2015
    Backbreaker has a lot going for it through it's graphics and Euphoria tech-powered gameplay,but it's main problems is the passing system,lack of a deep career mode,and awful local multiplayer,but it is FUN.

1. Quotation forthcoming.
  2. To be honest there is very little that Backbreaker does wrong. Its only real drawback is that it is not an official NFL licensed game and misses out on the major draw of taking a team to the Super Bowl.
  3. Although it can’t be defined as an absolute masterpiece, Backbreaker proves to be a well crafted game, capable of assuring a fun and engaging experience to both fans of the genre and potential newcomers. If you’re looking for some hardcore action and you’re not afraid to get hurt, this is surely the game for you.