8.0

1. Aug 22, 2010
    A wonderful game, with good mechanics, no glitches that I could find, an excellent story, and good characters. Some of the tribute pieces, such as Verses 1 and 2 of Chapter 14, seem out of place, but the rest of the game makes up for it. The sexuality in the game is so overblown as to be comical rather than insulting, but can still be annoying at times. I easily put 60 hours into the game, and would have put in more time had I not lent it to a friend. Buy this game. Expand
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    Great. Just great. The game has some flaws, but it's made to be FUN and to help the player enjoy the game. The story is completely absurd and it's just a way to add incredible and over the top bosses (the last one is probably one of the biggest bosses I remember).

I didn't like the DMC saga much, because it started to feel repetitive and you were revisiting levels a lot. There's some
    repetition in this one but a lot less. To sum it up, if you enjoyed games like God Hand (or any other kind of dumb fun like Serious Sam) you'll love this. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2010
    From looking at a fair few critic and user reviews, its pretty obvious that a lot of people don't 'get' this game.
    They complain that its all about sex because the protagonist has exaggerated features which are frequently flaunted during cinematics. That's not the case. The sexuality of the character is intended as a joke. The parts which show her strip off her suit or where the camera
    focuses on her breasts are intended to make you laugh at the profanity, not bust a nut. In truth, this game does have its flaws. The story is pretty incoherent and some of the cutscenes are half-arsed and presented in a film-reel style as opposed to full animation. Furthermore, some sections are a little tedious such as riding a missile or motorcycle for 15 minutes, but there are only 2 of these sections.
    If you can look past the negatives, you'll see that Bayonetta is truly a fantastic game. The graphics look stunning, the soundtrack is catchy, but the gameplay is where it really shines, and in the hack n' slash genre, that's what counts. Combat is flashy and fluid. There are hundreds of combos to use and many different weapons, all unique in purpose. There are very useful combat accessories and moves to unlock.
    The combat flows astoundingly well and is very pleasurable to play. There is very little downtime in battles and everything you do flows in to your next action. The game is never cheap and enemies present a real threat, even if some are just cannon fodder.
    The higher difficulties will have you pulling your hair out as you die over and over, but beating them is well rewarded and gives a feeling of great satisfaction. You are also ranked on online leaderboards and in-game for playing each level based on how well you performed. If you're a perfectionist, you'll have your work cut out for you to get Pure Platinum trophies on every mission.
    As for length, on my first play-through on Normal difficulty, it took me about 14 hours, but it is possible to beat it in under 3, and there is an achievement for doing so.
    In terms of replayability, I've clocked up over 100 hours playing a 3 hour, single player game. I think that says enough to rate this game 10/10
  4. Feb 20, 2013
    I've owned this game three times from launch. I've gone from hating to loving it, and back and forth. It's taken years for me to be able to say this: Bayonetta is without a doubt the best 3rd person action game ever made. It has nowhere near the scope of God of War, my other favorite, but the wide open creative gameplay just can't be beat.
  5. Nov 29, 2010
    Coming from the creator of Devil may Cry it was expected this game would have some kind of innovation and it did not disappoint the combat system is the best out at this point, graphics look great and there are plenty of unlockables to keep you busy for weeks (months ... depending on how much you play).
    This game should not be missed. 10/10
  6. Apr 16, 2011
    This is quite frankly the GREATEST GAME IN EXISTANCE! The word masterpiece doesn't even begin to cover it. It just kicks the living **** out of that crap pathetic game Devil May Cry 4. If you have DMC4 forget it go and get this and see what a true action game is all about. Everything about this game is perfect. The controls, gameplay and graphics are just truly magnificent. I love all the old school SEGA references in it. A total must buy game! Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2011
    GAME OF THE DECADE. I can not think of a better game than BAYONETTA. This game is CRANKED UP TO ELEVEN AND THEN SOME. GAME OF THE DECADE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY.
  8. Dec 8, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant and a real action Masterpiece. Games of this high a quality are a rarity these days and with Dante as good as dead, we now look to Bayonetta to carry the torch.
  9. Mar 13, 2011
    Bayonetta is a solid action game using a fast paced play style that is an evolution of the style of Devil May Cry. It is extremely addictive, and before writing this I have played through it several times on varying difficulty settings. The story works to capture the style of the game. Set in the fictional European city of Vigrid, you play as the last Umbra Whitch, who is named Bayonetta. She is constantly perused by an angelic presence called the Laguna that is out to destroy her at any cost, as well as a human rival named Jeanne who has an agenda of her own. The story is full of ridiculous humor and comic relief, and hardly ever takes itself seriously. This is a good thing, because so little in the game is in any way believable, being an over the top fantasy with little if any attention payed to realism. The gameplay in Bayonetta can be described as simply: adrenaline, over the top, and addictively crazy. Despite there being hundreds of different moves you can pull off, the core mechanics are very simple: 1 button for punching, 1 button for kicking, and the experience to put them together to pull of some, frankly, hilariously overpowered combos. Press a button in Devil May Cry, and the playable character pulls a move. Press a button in Bayontta, and the screen explodes. Often times there so many things happening that I can't even keep track of what's going on, but the game somehow has been programmed to cope with this, as whenever I did die I easily knew which enemy it was that struck the killing blow. I have never played a more fast paced action game then Bayonetta. Your first go through the game should take you about 12 hours. However, the game still manages to have a lot of content because it is so replayable. Just like in DMC, you can carry upgrades over from previous playthroughs, and it appears to be the way the designers intended players to progress to higher difficulties, thus making the total content of the game at least a couple times that of your first trip through the campaign. Overall, I really enjoyed this game, and I encourage anyone who regularly plays action to pick up this game as soon as you can if you have not already. Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2011
    Look at the graphics bam boom whoosh the music, the combat, the combos holy **** this game is amazing! Play it, goddamn it! The real DMC sequel, and one of the finest games on the 360. Get it.
  11. Sep 9, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing. This is what devil may cry 4 should have been. The amount of combat control is just mind boggling there is just so much you can do. Also factor in you can switch on the fly a different weapon set up to mix up very varying combo styles. Rocket launchers on the feet is somehow full of awesome when you pull off amazing feats of combos. You can also activate a matrix bullet time slow mo (which is called witch time in this game) when you narrowly dodge enemy attacks, this is used to unleash and plan very destructive combos. Also in other games you see fancy epic choreographed CGI cutscenes well in bayonetta there is so much depth and control you can pull off amazing CGI choreographed styled fights in game, that's what sets this game above other hack and slash action games. If you're the type of gamer that wants more then just button mashing bayonetta can give you that control if you are willing to learn it. Also this game is the return of epic boss battles which the last 2 are some of the best in action gaming history. Doesn't hurt the game runs silky smooth at 60 FPS, which makes all those combos look phenomenal. The sound track is very nice as well with very atmospheric pieces and the choir chanting just races your adrenaline. With that bayonetta does have some awkward jazzy tunes like a japanese "fly me to the moon" jazz rendition when bayonetta is just being sassy and comical. But when things get serious that's when the real highlight of the OSt breaks out. If you love pure action games then this game is as good as it gets to being perfect gameplay wise. A must try for pure action enthusiast that love sexy smooth gameplay and who like lots of depth in combat options. Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    I know I'm just some dude on the Internet, but you've got to believe me when I say that Bayonetta is the finest action game of the generation and one of the defining games of the genre, Period. If you love action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, prepare to have your mind blown by this incredible game!
  13. Apr 25, 2012
    Probably one of the best action games of this generation of consoles and the reasons are simple: 1) the action is extremely fast but it still can make you think on your actions, alternating dodges in order to activate the witch time (a slow-mo) and strong flurries of attacks in order to kill your enemies while they're slowed down, without mentioning the execution skills 2) There is a vast amount of weapons that can be attached to both your hands and legs, each with their own skill list and both usable together wth one button (Y for the hands, B for the legs). And guns are used with the X button. 3) The game has a huge amount of unlockables and really encourages you to replay the game more and more, in order to find secret "verses" (the combat sections), the weapons, costumes, anything, so the longevity in the game is also great, and so far I've spent over 40 hours of gameplay. And I still gotta play with Jeanne! With that much praise said to this game, why a 9? Simple, it always slows down on moments of mass fighting, halving the frames in those moments and can really frustrate you sometimes. Although it's not game breaking of course, but in a game based on pure action and fast combats, these slow downs are just unforgivable. And yes, the plot is kinda "horrible" but I didn't really hate it, and besides the action was more than enough to fix this flaw, and the cutscenes were really funny to watch, so not a big flaw in my opinion. That's all I can say really: one big flaw, one point less to perfection, but this game still rocks and I highly suggest to give it a try. Expand
  14. Jul 15, 2011
    Sexy and deathly, Batonetta is equal too Devil May Cry and God Of War . Only absurd and weird , sometimes even stupid. The cut scene are very violent with the set pieces that make your jaw to drop. Visuals are fine enough to please every body ( seriously) . Another good female character that is bad ass.
  15. Jun 20, 2012
    We've seen a lot of super male character in almost every game, and this is one of the rare games that has woman as its own main character. Beat up and kick ass enemy's face is extremely fun, and nearly flawless colourful graphics and performance. If you love this category, you should have it and enjoy! Warning: Do not purchase the PS3 version, or you'll suffer one of the worst port of all time
  16. Sep 3, 2011
    To put it simply one of the xbox 360's greatest games, graphics, gameplay and music all spot on, and it does have a nice story, tough at first but once used to the dodging mechanics i breezed through it.great game.
  17. Dec 17, 2011
    This game was just plain, simple FUN. OLD SCHOOL FUN! It was a blast. Creative, inventive and immaginative (is that a word?) whatever....it was awesome!
  18. Sep 22, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game, and my favorite game this gen. Also one of my favorite games ever, up there with Ocarina of Time, Arkham Asylum, Warcraft 3 and Battlefield 2. Besides the obvious fan-service(which I have no problem with, and you shouldn't either unless you're uptight) the combat is intuitive and fun. The game is of satisfying length, the main character is easily likable(not because of the skin tight suit), the supporting characters are fun, and the plot, while confusing at first, is complete with unexpected twists and an interesting backstory. Expand
  19. Sep 17, 2012
    This review is a response to the recent announcement of Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U. I have to admit, the first one was the main reason I bought the XBOX 360. It's a great game done by former members of CLOVER STUDIOS of CAPCOM...wow. Great graphics, superb controls and overall high production values made this an instant classic. The bad thing was that SEGA, its original publisher was in financial trouble and 'cancelled' this title. Nintendo ended up picking the tab and was 'attacked' by 'fan boys' for making it exclusive to the Wii U. I think these fan boys are over-reacting a bit. I owned a Wii as well and let me tell you, despite its 'outdated' graphics, it hosted some of the most innovative games of this generation. The Wonderful 101, which PG developed for the Wii U exclusively looked great. So will Bayonetta 2...Having Platinum Games developed it for the Wii U will only make it better. Expand
  20. Nov 27, 2011
    This is what a lot of other action game should be. Funny, attractive, endless cutscenes and new stuff to do. You never get bored. The story keep you moving. It's just amazing. It deserves a 10 but the downside is that it's just too short. Should have more levels there. The replay is awesome though.
  21. May 5, 2012
    Bayonetta is a beautiful cinematic game with almost no flaws. Definitely one of the greatest action games out, possibly one of the greatest ever. The best an action game can get.
  22. Feb 3, 2012
    Amazing, inspirational game! The story line is captivating and funny. Bayonetta's skills and personality all around are amazing, plus she's very sexy. The combos are creative. It's more of a "Devil-May-Cry" styled game. The cliche' good vs bad plot was taken into a bit of unoriginal and created into it's own. The graphics are great. I think it's safe to say that this is one of my favorite games.
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    THE BEST GAME EVER!!!! Bayonetta is a new incredible saga, with an interesting story, great gamepelay, this is one of my favorite titles. Bayonetta is a classic.
  24. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the best games ever i have played. Heavy gameplay, nice graphics, sexy woman..;)
    I love this game and waiting for chapter 2. This game is for all fans of DMC.
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    This game is serious stuff. This is the best action game I've ever played in my entire life. It's funny as hell, hectic, challenging and above all COOL. There are very very few games that I would give a 10, but Bayonetta is completely flawless.
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    Best shasher Game ever. Bayonetta beat DMC, Ninja Gaiden and God Of War! Great game design, lot of funny dialogs and animations. If You like slashers - bui It - you dont sell this game to fast!
  27. Jun 13, 2012
    One of the most amazing games of this generation, Bayonetta is distilled essence of what other games would love to be.

The biggest selling point, of course, is the combat. Bayonetta is given a huge variety of weapons and combos she can use in combat to battle her way through. Combos are similar, but can change in interesting ways between weapons, and almost all can excel in some
    situations. Which time is a fun mechanic that rewards you for timing your dodges instead of mashing them out, and the enemy AI is varied enough to reward you for carefully selecting strategies for each.

Another great thing about this game is the unlockables, the game is FULL of them. While there are a few that will be all but impossible for the most dedicated of players to get, there are plenty of costumes, extra weapons, items, and accessories that will drive you to keep playing.

I would love to give this game a perfect 10, but you do need some minor deductions for the ridiculous story, which while fun, will leave you scratching your head for a while, and doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

Still, overall this is one of the best games of this console generation, and anyone who thinks they might be interested in this genre deserves to pick up this game.
  28. Sep 28, 2012
    High-class next gen game. Runs at 60 FPS. Satisfying combat, visuals, feel and sound. Tough to put down and delivers the shiver up the spine. Usually can trust the reviews of professionals. That is why they are hired for what they do. It has a lot of reasons to keep playing it after you beat it the first time. Unlockables and progressive mastering of techniques and all very rewarding experience for a single player video game. Just can't give anything a ten though unless it completely floors. This comes close as far as action games are concerned. Expand
  29. Aug 30, 2012
    This has been the game I've played two summers ago, and I can say it's a great game! It's difficult to play, but controls are easy and quick to learn, the graphics are not the best you can find in a XBox 360 game, but there's great a style that makes it good to watch.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    Really a fantastic game. Great combat, brilliant visuals and interesting story. Granted, it is a blatant Devil May Cry clone, but an extremely good one and it does do enough of its own thing to be considered original. The visuals in the game are just remarkable and truly quite original (or at least creatively used if I'm wrong.) The gameplay is just non-stop fun and can be as simple or complex as you want, with a very reasonable learning curve. My only gripe with this game would be the lack of real character development for most of the side characters. Aside from Bayonetta and Jeanne, the rest of the cast seem very underdone and given little depth. Overall: Bayonetta is just a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. Expand

1. A game that exemplifies so much of what commentators claim has died in the Japanese game industry. A blast of creative brilliance, both technically accomplished, strategically deep and infused with rare imagination, Bayonetta represents the pinnacle of its chosen niche. [JPN Import]
  2. A beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board. [Christmas 2009, p.90]
  3. Astonishingly, every one of these dazzling battles is thrilling without overstaying its welcome - and also challenges you without being cheap. [Jan 2009, p.66]