BioShock Infinite Xbox 360

8.5

1. DME
    Apr 10, 2013
    The graphics and environments are great. The story is excellent, so long as you have the mind to make sense of it (it increasingly becomes more complicated). However, the ending to the story, while satisfying, just wasn't paced very well. The combat is a lot of fun, especially with the SkyHook. Unfortunately, though, you're restricted to being able to carry only two weapons at a time,The graphics and environments are great. The story is excellent, so long as you have the mind to make sense of it (it increasingly becomes more complicated). However, the ending to the story, while satisfying, just wasn't paced very well. The combat is a lot of fun, especially with the SkyHook. Unfortunately, though, you're restricted to being able to carry only two weapons at a time, which I believe was a poor design choice. Weapon and Vigor upgrades are useful, but unimaginative. Now, the most damning part of the game is frequent moments when your immersion is broken, due to contrived character behaviors. For example, Elizabeth will have an emotional scene where she is very angry and confused, but then suddenly become happy again the moment the scene is over. It also bothered me how a lot of unimportant NPCs many times don't acknowledge you. They just ignore you as you loot drawers and trashcans and jump up and down in front of them. You can't interact with them very much, and I feel it takes you out of the game. Also, the whole concept of "stealing" in the game was implemented horribly. Nobody bats an eye if you raid their desks and cabinets, but if you grab a certain item that the game decides is not okay, then suddenly 50 people start mowing you down with guns (because apparently, stealing is punishable by death). But problems aside, Bioshock Infinite is a really awesome game, but it's just far from perfection. If you can look past its faults, you can really enjoy this title. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not only one of the best story-driven games, but it’s one of the best games ever. With a fantastic chemistry between the game’s two central characters, one of the most stunningly realised game worlds, some excellent game mechanics, incredible production values and a frankly genius story, it’s a game that simply everyone and his dog must own.
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Awesome game. Good to see that some studios are still investing in a good story and it shows. Graphics are okay; the music is very good. Is it better than the other stealth game Dishonoured? I think so yes. Bioware should take notes....the ending is very well done.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    After playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with themAfter playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with them story-wise. Normally, I don't like to knock off too many points if a game manages to entertain but lacks in the story department. I'll make an exception in this case, however, as the story is one of this game's primary selling points and still manages to eventually crumple beneath its own depth. The tale that BioShock Infinite weaves initially starts off in a compelling manner. You are Booker DeWitt, a former Pinkerton agent that is sent to rescue the girl (Elizabeth) and wipe away a mysterious "debt". Eventually, the plot thickens (but not by much) and a series of even more mysterious events occur, creating many unanswered questions throughout the game. One of the most detrimental cons of BioShock Infinite is the fact that some of these unanswered questions remain unanswered. The ending is quite bizarre and fails to adequately explain everything that may be puzzling you. Booker's story manages to trip up over itself numerous times and I almost felt cheated after the credits were finished rolling. Several people have told me that: "Well, if you play it through a couple more times, it will make more sense to you." Regardless of whether or not that is the case, as a player, I should not be required to play through a game several times to adequately grasp the message that the game is attempting to convey to me. In my opinion, (and I'll probably get a little heat for this), Infinite's story is significantly inferior to the first two BioShock games and genuinely failed to live up to my expectations. I felt that the game simply tried too hard for its own good and as a result, produced a confusing and ridiculous ending that I'll be glad to forget. Now, moving onto actual gameplay mechanics. BioShock Infinite's combat is still extremely polished and manages to be diverse and entertaining for the majority of the game. However, it does tend to stale a little towards the end as the same old enemies are thrown at you wave after wave and you're forced into a battle of attrition. Instead of the traditional Plasmids, the game's "spells" are called Vigors (although they're essentially the exact same thing). They all prove to be entertaining but I'm disappointed with the fact that there is only 8 of them, compared to the original BioShock's 11. The game also lacks the amount of personal customization that the first two afforded and the weapon upgrading system is horribly uninspired. Battles, as mentioned earlier, are generally a blast but some of them result in cheap deaths due to unfair environmental setups (for example: fighting several RPG soldiers that have the high ground while trying to not get mauled by a Handyman). The majority of the weapons achieve a solid balance and are a ton of fun to destroy enemies with. Voice acting is superb and the atmosphere that Infinite has crafted is outstanding. The rich culture and diverse city of Columbia can be a treat to indulge in but at times can also be repetitive and lifeless. The developers, in my opinion, failed to play up the fact that Columbia is a floating city, other than the somewhat annoying Sky Hook mechanic. Falling over the side into the abyss does not penalize you in any way, which eliminates any fear of heights that Columbia could have produced. If you could not physically look over the side and see that the city was indeed floating, you would not have any idea whatsoever. The Songbird, which seemed to be a major character throughout the game, was poorly implemented into the plot. Several parts of the twist ending were actually somewhat predictable (if you were paying even remote attention as you played) but that may have been due to the fact that I was looking really hard to find any hints or clues that may have unraveled the story before its conclusion. Overall, despite all of the complaints that I had, it's still a BioShock game through and through. The world is rich and uniquely crafted, the weapons and combat are all extremely fun, and the campaign itself is quite lengthy (around 20 hours or so). However, don't set your expectations of the story too high (as I did), otherwise you're simply setting yourself up for disappointment. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2014
    It must be me. I had fun with this. It's a solid shooter in an amazing setting but for some reason it didn't grab me. Maybe I should have stuck with it. You should all give this a go.
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    I've been playing for awhile, and i'm having so much fun with this game. The story is great and the gameplay is amazing! The sky-hook is one of the most fun things I've ever been able to do in a game. There aren't very many bad things to say. However, if you have a good gaming PC I've heard Infinite has better textures and framerate so you should get it on PC. This is my GOTY so far.
  7. Apr 1, 2013
    Its good but not a classic like BioShock 1 or System Shock 2 are. Truth is the game has been streamlined to such an extent that it doesn't really live up to the legacy of the ‘Shock’ series…
    - GAMEPLAY It kind of feels just like every other game out there the way it has been stripped out of all its complex mechanics. The U-Invent crafting machines have gone, the researching to improve abilities, there’s no map screen, the Vigors and Gear feel extremely shallow compared to the Plasmids and Tonics, the focus on emergent gameplay doesn't seem to have been a focus this time. Dynamic gameplay were all the systems interact with each other is much less present than previous games. Also there are no alternate ammo types, only two weapons at a time, no visual weapon upgrades, the weapons themselves are rather generic (nothing exotic or unique), levels feel much less detailed and a lot more linear, straightforward and less fun to explore, the looting has been simplified to just cash and ammo, with a couple health, shield upgrades, a few pieces of gear too. There is no stealth support what so ever, so those gamers looking to play cautiously like they did in previous games are outta luck (very sad about that). There are no patrolling enemies were the player could observe them from a distance and then strategically plan when and where battle will occur, enemies are more like obstacles that you HAVE to fight on the spot, you often can't return to previously explored areas, the hacking system is completely removed; no hacking of security bots to make allies, no hacking cameras to turn them on your side, no hacking vending machines or health dispenser (I miss poisoning splicers), no security cameras to avoid alerting. You can't take medkits and Eve (Salts) hypnos with you to use on the fly, which causes a lot of backtracking to previously explored areas just looking for un-looted health/salts. Very few meaningful interesting morality or story decisions to be made. Nothing like the harvesting little sisters from BS.
    Don't get me wrong, they did instead bring in the skyrails and Elizabeth as a companion, but as innovative as those mechanics are, they don't make up for all the things that were stripped away, and only Liz is present for the majority of the game, the skyrails are often hard to come by. They also added a shield regeneration mechanics just like Halo's, which imho really doesn't belong in a game like this.
    - STORY As for the story, its not bad, but its not great either. It becomes very muddled and messy, and takes forever to really get going. There are a lot of "save the princess" moments which seem a bit forced in to add length to the narrative. One twist right at the end in particular is hard to swallow IMO. The narrative also seems full of plotholes that don’t really make sense. There is a huge information dump at the end during an overly long and extremely linear piece of scripted handholding. The delivery is a lot more overt and spoon fed this time. Control is snatched away far to regularly for first person cutscenes, or ‘look’ only scripted scenes to throw narrative our way. Overall it felt like one of those games that wanted to be a movie, rather than a video game that wanted to be an immersive and dynamic video game. Not at all how story was delivered in previous shock games. CHARACTERS Good, but not as interesting as those seen and heard in BioShock 1 and 2. Only Lutece comes to mind as memorable. No Sander Cohen’s, Tenebaum’s or Andrew Ryan‘s, and certainly no arch nemesis on the awesome and terrifying scale as Shodan from SS2 or Atlas from BS1. The enemy too lack imagination, they are not scary at all like the messed up Splicers were from BS or the Machines and Many were from SS2. They’re just people, which kinda makes it feel odd when you are slaughtering them by the dozens. Also Liz’s A.I really contrasts how poor their NPC’s A.I is. They just seem to stand around looking off into space. You cant interact with them and they don’t give the feeling like Skyrim or GTA that they have lives.
    - FINAL VERDICT I didn't expect a BioShock 1 remake, but like System Shock 2 to BioShock, I did expect all of the cool things to return in new guises of one form or another, but that just didn’t happen. I don't hate the game, its by Irrational and its still a GOOD game, but its just a lot less than I expected it to be.
    Compared to BS 1 and System Shock 2, which in my opinion are two of the greatest games ever made, it was just too hard to follow, which in turns makes me appreciate what 2K Marin pulled off in BioShock 2 a lot more.
    - SCORE I gave BioShock 1 and System Shock 2 a 10/10 on metacritic, and BS2 a 9/10. I am sad to say that Infinite will only be getting a 8/10. Its good game, as good as most everything else that is out right now, but it is also far away from the deep and meaningful game that I expected. So good, but not a classic.
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    I would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to theI would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to the weak gunplay and contrived use of plasmids… It was, however, very much a game that was more than the sum of its parts, as the setting of Rapture was so unique and well-designed, and its inhabitants so interesting and deep, that I borderline ignored the game’s numerous flaws to complete it three times since its release 5-and-a-half years ago. Needless to say, I was sceptical going into BioShock Infinite, as it was once again being highly praised and hyped by critics. Fool me twice, shame on me, right? Well, since my pre-order copy arrived three days before this game’s release date, I can tell you as one of the first people on the planet outside of Irrational Games to have completed BioShock Infinite that it is, from start to finish, a bona fide masterpiece. I will not discuss the 12-15 hour story for fear of giving away spoilers, but know that it is one of the greatest and most thought-provoking tales in gaming history. It’s worth noting that like System Shock 2 and BioShock 1, there is once again a twist ending, and the revelation is so mind-blowing that it literally makes you want to play the whole game over once you know it. The combat is the most improved aspect over BioShock 1, with numerous weapons that all feel powerful and are useful in different situations, eight dual-functional vigours which are a joy to use and alter your tactics, the superbly innovative ability to ride and fight from Sky-Lines adding verticality, and a wide assortment of enemy types often requiring different attack methods. Elizabeth is the greatest AI companion since Half-Life 2’s Alyx Vance, as not only does she not require any protecting, she also helps you out by periodically giving you supplies or money, and has the ability to spawn objects from weaponry, to cover, to defensive robots, and much more. The city of Columbia itself is far more interesting than even Rapture, and that’s saying something. It absolutely begs for every nook and cranny to be explored, and its Art Nouveau style is like nothing seen in gaming, or indeed film. It’s also filled with civilians something Rapture unfortunately avoided. I could go on and on about why I think this is one of the greatest and most important games ever made, but I’ll close with this: BioShock Infinite, unlike BioShock before it, deserves every bit of praise lavished upon it. Along with (arguably) Mass Effect 2 and (probably) Grand Theft Auto V, it is the game that is destined to be remembered for defining the heights of what the seventh gaming generation managed to achieve in terms of storytelling, artistry, and game design. Play it now. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2013
    There's nothing else to say about the atmosphere and setting. It's the gameplay which hooked me. It's better than ever and I can't stop playing for that reason alone, and the rest of the game is almost impossibly good. The first bioshock had the atmosphere but game play was a little off. The gameplay in the second bioshock was better but the atmosphere not quite as good. Infinites hasThere's nothing else to say about the atmosphere and setting. It's the gameplay which hooked me. It's better than ever and I can't stop playing for that reason alone, and the rest of the game is almost impossibly good. The first bioshock had the atmosphere but game play was a little off. The gameplay in the second bioshock was better but the atmosphere not quite as good. Infinites has better gameplay than the best from 2, and a better atmosphere than the best from 1. I'm trying to avoid saying 'Best Game Ever' or 'Best Game This Generation' but..... um..... yeah. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With jaw-dropping visuals,audio,voice acting and story,Bioshock Infinite is a masterly crafted game worthy of standing beside the likes of Bioshock and Half-Life 2.Actually experiencing Columbia and its fall is truly amazing as the world changes around you and the war progresses,getting darker and more chaotic.Experimenting with the Vigors is awesome with my favourite being Possession,while setting various traps and using Undertow is always awe inspiring.The Skyline system is great fun and adds an exciting element to the city,especially during combat.If I had a serious issue it would be regarding weapons.Woe betide those like myself who prefer to use the Handcannon and RPG,but can't.You'll be out of ammo within a minute during larger battles(though vending machines are often close by) and the two weapon system makes little sense.Whether its two pistols or two heavy weapons,that's all you can carry and four would have been the smarter choice,especially considering the number of weapons in the game.That said,Bioshock Infinite wowed me throughout its entirety and I cannot wait to experience more stories of Columbia. Expand
  11. CPB
    Apr 1, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, let alone 2013. The story tackles everything from American history, politics, and science. The gameplay is smooth and fluent, and the rail system is a very innovative mechanic. I liked the first bioshock, thought the second one was okay, but this is great 10/10.
  12. Apr 13, 2013
    One of the most beautiful and inventive games ever created. I found it every bit as awe-inspiring and addictive as the first two installments, and I have completed two play-throughs of each of the three games. If you consider this game a reboot or standalone product in the franchise, I personally find nothing worth complaining about. Compared to other games on the market right now,One of the most beautiful and inventive games ever created. I found it every bit as awe-inspiring and addictive as the first two installments, and I have completed two play-throughs of each of the three games. If you consider this game a reboot or standalone product in the franchise, I personally find nothing worth complaining about. Compared to other games on the market right now, unless your obsession is multiplayer, you won't find anything more absorbing or entertaining than Bioshock Infinite. Compared to first two games in the series...I have a hard time finding a way to rank them. The weapons in Infinite are definitely less appealing, the choices are pretty much nonexistent, the save-anywhere feature is gone, the levels are smaller, and I didn't find my skin crawling with goosebumps. While there are certainly some disturbing moments in Infinite, I found the first Bioshock a bit more compelling simply because everything was horrifying; and with that element gone, the urgency and intensity of survival disappears. I can't bring myself to knock Infinite any points though, because to me that complaint sounds more like artistic opinion than any comment on the actual quality of the game. The only legitimate complaint about Infinite when compared to the first two games is that sense of choice: Bioshock 1 and 2 offered two endings and two ways to deal with situations, giving the player a reason to replay the game. Bioshock Infinite gives you a few moments where you're given the illusion of choice, but only one ending to the game exists (sorry if that's a spoiler). Infinite is worth replaying, but the only incentive is to experiment with different guns and powers. I know these sound like enough complaints to damage the score, but I'm sticking with my score despite all the flak reviewers get on this site for giving a perfect 10. Bioshock Infinite is a worthy successor to Bioshock because the series has once again revitalized a stale genre with inventive combat, impressive scenery, deep narrative and solid amount of player customization. I could go on and on about this game all day. I hope you find time to play it. Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2013
    The most entertaining lesson in quantum physics that I've ever had! So, was Bioshock Infinite worth the wait? HELL YES! Will the story mess with your head? DAMN RIGHT! I've just finished my first play through and have been completely blown away. Not so much by the game play, which remains pretty similar to previous Bioshock titles, but more by the attention to detail and pure love that hasThe most entertaining lesson in quantum physics that I've ever had! So, was Bioshock Infinite worth the wait? HELL YES! Will the story mess with your head? DAMN RIGHT! I've just finished my first play through and have been completely blown away. Not so much by the game play, which remains pretty similar to previous Bioshock titles, but more by the attention to detail and pure love that has been shown in the production of this game. It's beautiful in a way that I can't even begin to describe. I spent the first 15 20 minutes of the game just wondering around taking in the scenery with a huge smile on my face! Once I got into the combat I quickly realised that this game wants you to experiment with your abilities. If you just stick to simply gun play then you're going to miss out on so much. Using Vigor (Previously Plasmid) abilities is where the fun lies. My only criticism would be that the pacing of gaining new weapons and abilities is a little off. Also, the game rations out money so harshly that you are really forced to focus on one or two weapons and abilities to be able to fully upgrade them. I suppose though that this adds to the incentive to play through again. Or have I already played, will play, am playing again? Goddamn, my head hurts! Thanks for that Irrational Games. Buy this game people. Collapse
  14. Apr 8, 2013
    Just a beautiful game and a joy to play. The first 2 bioshock games made me want to explore the whole world and this does likewise. Im so sad that its finished. Iv picked up Far Cry 3 again but its a poor subsitute for bioshock infinite.
    Its an 8 though cause i agree with some of the critics in relation to the difficulty and weapons. Im not a good gamer but I seemed to coast this game. There is tons of ammo and weapons lying around and the upgrades are unexciting. I barely spent a penny on upgrades. Likewise with the vigors. In bioshock the plasmids were central as to how rapture fell into chaos. Vigors in Columbia simply exist but the average joe doesnt seem to have access to them. So story falls down here and so does the difficulty as the soldiers arent powered up and hence the difficulty level is significantly lower than either of the previous bioshock games.
    The ending is superb and provokes debate and thought and is a far more satisfying ending than what you get with most games nowadays.
    The story is engaging as are the characters and finding and listening to voxophones is an essential and satisfying endeavour. playing the game without listening to the voxophones seems almost pointless.
    Admittedly, the baddies are nowhere near as intimidating as that first ever big daddy encounter on bioshock. But I do not think this game was meant to replicate the originals, its a standout on its own and is miles better than other recent big releases.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    This game failed to impress me at some point: first, no map navigation, so wandering around and have no idea where to go is confusing. Second: the large enemies are much more annoying and not so villainous as the BigDaddy, and third: No choice affect the final ending. Nevertheless, the great story and good gameplay shows that this game is a great candidate for GOTY this year. Worth playing anyway.
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    Didn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 because I don't really like survival horror and thought they looked too dark from the demos. Bioshock Infinite is a beautifully crafted game with engaging characters and intelligent story. Gameplay is unique and varied and feels well balanced. I was left gobsmacked at the end. Not just because of the ending but because this was a game I had almost ignored yet itDidn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 because I don't really like survival horror and thought they looked too dark from the demos. Bioshock Infinite is a beautifully crafted game with engaging characters and intelligent story. Gameplay is unique and varied and feels well balanced. I was left gobsmacked at the end. Not just because of the ending but because this was a game I had almost ignored yet it turned out to be my game of the year so far. Top marks. Expand
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    Very few games will ever be able to compete with the opening to the original Bioshock as you enter the underwater city of Rapture and, while Columbia is certainly spectacular, it just doesn’t inspire the same sense of awe.

Where Infinite does better its predecessors however is in its story and gameplay. The combat is not all that different with the weapons mapped to the right trigger and the powers (plasmids in all but name) mapped to the left they can, as before, be combined in all manner of ways during combat. The two big additions to this formula are the skyhooks that can be used to zip around the environment, helping to attack or escape foes, and the ‘tears in reality’ that can be opened by companion Elizabeth to allow access to weapons, ammo, cover etc. Both are arguably not used to their full potential but between them certainly bring a new dimension to the combat.

As for the story, I won’t go into any ruinous detail but suffice to say it is one of the best in gaming despite the sometimes rather clumsy approach to topics such as racism on occasions. Importantly however it is told completely without cut-scenes meaning for the first time in a while I was actually interested in what was happening as I didn’t have to sit a watch endless non-interactive sections. In the end it doesn’t compete with the best the movie and TV industry can offer of course but I can’t think of many other games in which I felt the need to look on online forums to see other people’s thoughts.
    Summary: Many reviews may lead people to believe that Bioshock Infinite will change gaming but it is too many obvious faults for that. What we do have though is a very good game indeed.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    bioshock does look good but the Xbox really is beginning to look it's age. the presentation, sound and graphics are absolutely top notch. the art direction great although not on a par with the original game. that is the problem for me whilst playing I do admire the beautiful environment but the game fails to deliver tense fight action. so ultimately let down because I really feel letbioshock does look good but the Xbox really is beginning to look it's age. the presentation, sound and graphics are absolutely top notch. the art direction great although not on a par with the original game. that is the problem for me whilst playing I do admire the beautiful environment but the game fails to deliver tense fight action. so ultimately let down because I really feel let down as the first two games were excellent. this is still a good game worth buying and miles better than farcry which I again say was appalling. the best games of the year for me are dishonored, tomb raider then bioshock infinite. I give this a solid eight because although good does not raise the bar for a sequel like tomb raider did or have the excellent story telling and gameplay of dishonored. Expand
  19. May 9, 2013
    This game was an incredible experience for me, start to finish. The art design and characters were great, and the story made me want to keep playing until I had beaten the whole game. I had a blast with the skyhook. In my opinion, this game surpassed the original Bioshock.
  20. Jan 7, 2015
    Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.

Maybe it was the setting, the glorious floating sky-city of Columbia, filled with its distinctive early-20th century America adornments. There are few locations quite like it in gaming - completely memorable and thrillingly abstract; a particular personal highlight was encountering a barbershop quartet early in the game performing their own rendition of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe it was the plot, convoluted and verging on being too ambitious for its own good, nevertheless like any good science fiction mystery story I was suitably intrigued and wanted to know how it all ended. Maybe it was Elizabeth, your delightful companion throughout the majority of the game, never getting in the way or seeming like a chore, it was a pleasure to accompany her and enjoy all the little things she got up to: exploring, interacting, dancing.

And so I did finish it. But when I did, I felt a little empty. A good game without doubt, but not the rip-roaring success I had been led to believe it was going to be. Maybe it was the skylines, a great idea and a real strength of the gameplay but somewhat, I felt, underutilised. Maybe it was the overzealous item-collecting busywork needed to further the knowledge of the plot. Maybe it was the plot itself, interesting but at the same time unsatisfyingly porous. All in all, it's an enigmatic, confused game, but one for whose heights I feel it's worth enduring the journey.
  21. May 7, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite triumphs over all of todays modern military shooters delivering a complex story, evolved gameplay mechanics and only falling short on sound design and graphics. Anyone that gives this a bad review is an obnoxious COD fanboy who have no right to be posting their "superior opinion" it is time that people grow up and look for an intelligent shooter like this.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is a triumph of a game. It overcomes the memory of Rapture by introducing the new and exciting world of Columbia. It is both recognisable and fresh as it keeps the same combat mechanics from Bioshocks 1 & 2, but introduces new powers and methods of combat (such as the use of skylines).

First of all, the storyline. On a first playthrough, and without the background information of the voxphones (recorded messages from prominent residents of Columbia) the storyline might seem a bit confusing. You play as Booker DeWitt, a PI who has been tasked with finding and extracting a girl called Elizabeth from Columbia. The quote "Bring me the girl and wipe away the debt" is used extensively throughout the storyline and you always feel curious about Booker's past and who is behind this plot. However, if you are like me, and want to collect every voxphone to expand the storyline, listen to every conversation, look at every poster in Columbia etc then you will be able to follow the storyline more clearly. This is essential when you reach the game's shocking, and thought-provoking, ending. The one major triumph of this game is that it elicits conversation between you and others who have completed the game a discussion of the ending seems compulsory and everyone seems to have their own idea on what is going on! Congratulations to Ken Levine and his team for weaving such an intricate story with well-rounded characters and motivations. It is rare for a videogame to challenge issues such as racism, classes, religion and capitalism but these are all contained within, even if some are not extrovertly shown.

The combat is fluid and there always seems to be a variety of methods on offer to dispatch a group of enemies. Do you make use of the skylines? Do you use your vigors and try to set fire to a patch of oil, electrocute enemies in water, or use a water-based attack to hurl them off Columbia? Or do you just shoot them in the face? The options available to the gamer are varied and appreciated. The enemies themselves normally exhibit a fair degree of AI, although they can sometimes do silly things. Occasionally, enemies have got stuck on scenery. Some of the new enemy types are very interesting and a bit scary to deal with. I liked the Patriot. However, I felt that the Handyman was over-powered by being too fast for his size and strength. The point of Big Daddies was that they were incredibly powerful and could rush you, but you always felt more nimble and agile than them so at least you felt you had some kind of advantage.

Columbia is a beautiful place a lot of open sky to look at. The sounds of Columbia are also excellent I love the early 20th century adaptations of a few late 20th century classics! (Especially the Beach Boys) There are many diverse locations to explore and exploration is rewarded by voxphones, weapons, health packs, vigors and infusions. Infusions allow you to level up your health, shield (thanks, Master Chief!) and salts. Salts are the spiritual successor to EVE.

I should talk about Elizabeth here. Generally, I find NPC sidekicks to be incredibly annoying in videogames. In the past, they have often been characters that you have had to protect and then they do something stupid and get themselves killed, often due to poor AI. Elizabeth is different. The game has been constructed carefully so that Elizabeth is only ever a help and not a hindrance. Elizabeth can open tears in reality to assist you in combat. These tears can be anything from bringing allies to the fight to med-kits. She is a valuable companion, able to draw your attention to collectibles you might have missed, and offers interesting conversations as you progress through the story. You feel very protective of her as you find out what she has had to endure. Songbird is also protective of Elizabeth you all will have seen him (it?) in the trailers. You will discover that there is a tenuous link between Songbird and Rapture's Big Daddies. Songbird is a fabulous creation well done to the design team. Both scary and something that you want to love. It's a shame that we couldn't see more of Songbird. The sequences that Songbird inhabits are normally the most exciting or emotional.

The game's almost a perfect 10 but not quite. While the storyline is incredible, there are a few plot points that don't quite tie together for me. I have experienced some slow-down on the 360 in busy areas of combat. The handyman is a bit unbalanced. Elizabeth's abilities and autonomy seems to have declined somewhat from early versions of the game. Some vigors seem to be hardly used by many gamers seem to have their favourites and stick with them. If specific vigors were required in certain situations, that might encourage the gamer to use a wider mix of vigors. And you killed Songbird, you b*stards! ;-)

Can't wait for the DLC. Season pass purchased. Thanks for the ride, Irrational Games.
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    This game has one of the best stories that I have played in quite a while. I do not completely understand why people say it is anti-christian or anti-american. It is about a group of people who pretty much have their own religion and they have succeeded from the union. Then some people say it is not believable like bioshock one because of the skyhooks and it being a floating city. It's aThis game has one of the best stories that I have played in quite a while. I do not completely understand why people say it is anti-christian or anti-american. It is about a group of people who pretty much have their own religion and they have succeeded from the union. Then some people say it is not believable like bioshock one because of the skyhooks and it being a floating city. It's a work of fiction. This is a great game all around. If I had any complaints it would be that it was a little easy which made it a little short. I played my first play through on hard which made it much more difficult, but not nearly as difficult as most games on hard. Great music, great scenery, great story. I have not enjoyed a games story as much as this one in quite some time. Expand
  24. Mar 29, 2013
    Am I the only person who thinks the voice casting of Booker and Elizabeth is terrible in this game? I'm so sick of video game heroes who sound like Nolan North and girls who sound like a character on a sitcom. This game is set in 1912!! Everyone else in the game has a voice that fits the time period. I haven't finished the game yet and I will eat my words if they turn out to be fromAm I the only person who thinks the voice casting of Booker and Elizabeth is terrible in this game? I'm so sick of video game heroes who sound like Nolan North and girls who sound like a character on a sitcom. This game is set in 1912!! Everyone else in the game has a voice that fits the time period. I haven't finished the game yet and I will eat my words if they turn out to be from the present day sent back in time but come on... why bother making a fantastic world we've never seen before if the main dude is going to sound like someone from any other adventure game? Close your eyes and you could be playing Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, etc. Other than that, the gameplay mechanics are fun and it's more Bioshock, which is a great thing. Does anyone else feel like your character walks too slow, like he's got a load in his pants? Maybe I've been playing too much Half Life 2. Actually this game makes me want to play Bioshock 2 again. Sure it wasn't as brilliant as the original but some of the plasmid combat was really freakin fun and that game needs more love. Expand
  25. May 22, 2014
    Although Infinite was the first that I played in the series when I got it free with PS plus I was disappointed the story was not captivating as Bioshock which I played later but the most disappointing thing was Elizabeth which was not that game changer nor was the hook used in traveling that everyone made us believe and the combat was not that good.
    The city and graphics were the best
    The city and graphics were the best parts of the game.
    It is 8-8.5 game at best especially considering the long development and the hype which was followed by those reviews.
  26. Mar 31, 2013
    Excellent game, a great adventure from start to finish. There are negatives to be found, mostly in the form of occasional low-res textures when you get up really close to some objects. Pretty much everything else was fantastic. The story is just as good as the previous Bioshock games, with twists in the plot that you will likely not be expecting. Gameplay is excellent, and I spent aroundExcellent game, a great adventure from start to finish. There are negatives to be found, mostly in the form of occasional low-res textures when you get up really close to some objects. Pretty much everything else was fantastic. The story is just as good as the previous Bioshock games, with twists in the plot that you will likely not be expecting. Gameplay is excellent, and I spent around 25 hours (I explore everything very thoroughly) in total on Hard mode, but have yet to try my hand at 1999 mode. If you like something a little different than the traditional shooter (i.e. more story-driven), this is the game for you. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    Strengths: The story is the best of the series. Do yourself a favor and play it through to end. This game really does make me feel like gaming is one of the greatest artistic mediums of our time. The music is absolutely amazing for setting the tone. The variety of music and how it comes into play is amazing, so authentic and immersive to the experience.

Graphically: the game is

Graphically: the game is beautiful. I can't believe how many times I would stop...and just look. So much thought and care has gone into what you are looking at, in every moment of the game.

Gameplay: Yes it is a shooter now. They did tighten the controls though and you can pick people off from afar. The hand cannon rules by the way.

To say its a poor shooter is ridiculous, it is as it has been.

Greatest game of the series? maybe not...but still an absolutely fantastic ride.

Weaknesses: The only flaws I can think of are some of the tedium of the other games, that they left out (like hacking and the way the upgrades worked) but I think this was done for purposes of pacing. Were there a couple frustrating gameplay moments? Yes, but I blame myself for not being creative with my gameplay and instead I would approach the situations with the normal "run and gun" mentality. WARNING: you will have to use your brain in the heat of battle.

Overall: I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to be amazed by an immersive experience. It is not borderlands or call of duty (both of which I own), it is something all to its own and feels that way the entire time. Thank you Irrational games for making something wonderful. I will begin my second play through today:)
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    I was highly anticipating this game especially after loving Bioshock 1 & 2! Ok so the scenery is a little different but I guess thats why I enjoyed it so much it was something different. Absolutely loved the graphics, game play and the immersive world that you are thrown into. I spent ages searching all the rooms and alleys looking for voxophones and collectibles. Really enojoyedI was highly anticipating this game especially after loving Bioshock 1 & 2! Ok so the scenery is a little different but I guess thats why I enjoyed it so much it was something different. Absolutely loved the graphics, game play and the immersive world that you are thrown into. I spent ages searching all the rooms and alleys looking for voxophones and collectibles. Really enojoyed having Elizabeth there, kinda missed her when she wasn't, lol. I think that her character is done really well, she is helpful and not a damsel in distress that you constantly have to baby sit and protect. From the minute I put this game into the console I could not wait to play this game again. Everything justs seems to flow in this game. The different bots through it like the patriots and handymen keep you on your toes. I cannot believe people are scoring it so low (especially for the graphics), they are done in typical Bioshock flare. All I can say is get this game and give it a go you will not be disappointed. I take my hat off to the team who designed this game, absolutely loved it and cannot wait to play it through again and get all the things I missed. Well done. Expand
  29. Apr 18, 2013
    One of the most powerful game stories I have ever experienced. It has that fightclub esque conclusion that allows you to look back at the story with new light and demands that you play again to understand more. Elizabeth features as a beautiful and inspiring character and is such an asset to you during gameplay that you feel lost without her. The presence of the skylines adds interest toOne of the most powerful game stories I have ever experienced. It has that fightclub esque conclusion that allows you to look back at the story with new light and demands that you play again to understand more. Elizabeth features as a beautiful and inspiring character and is such an asset to you during gameplay that you feel lost without her. The presence of the skylines adds interest to what could have been a simple shooter and there are enough weapons and vigors (plasmids aka magic) that you can play the game once and still feel that you have not experienced all there is to have. Without discussing any of the topics that lead to spoilers (though all of them are brilliant) I would say that the ending comes to quickly and that they could have added more boss battles or general exploration of Columbia but I'm not going to reduce the score because I actually find shorter games easier to play. Expand
  30. Mar 28, 2013
    As a fan of the franchise, I have been looking forward to BioShock: Infinite for a long time...and it was worth the wait. BioShock: Infinite is an absolutely beautiful and amazing instalment to the franchise that is both filled with breath-taking graphs and heart-pounding moments. The game's story is original and well-executed and in BioShock fashion, it takes you to place you'd neverAs a fan of the franchise, I have been looking forward to BioShock: Infinite for a long time...and it was worth the wait. BioShock: Infinite is an absolutely beautiful and amazing instalment to the franchise that is both filled with breath-taking graphs and heart-pounding moments. The game's story is original and well-executed and in BioShock fashion, it takes you to place you'd never expect to go. In my opinion, this game is flawless and since being a huge fan, some moments nearly brought me to tears due to awe! This alongside the original is no doubt to best game ever and is like I said completely flawless. A ground-breaking work of art that will inspire many games in the future. Expand
  31. Mar 26, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS Full Review to follow:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS Full Review to follow:

Bioshock Infinite, despite it's lofty expectations and undeniably "sky high" promises from creative powerhouse Irrational Games, is an incredible achievement in interactive entertainment. From the incredible art style to the story, the well written script to Columbia itself, Bioshock Infinite is more than just a game on disc; it's an incredibly and thoughtfully created world quite unlike most games of today just waiting to be explored. Attention to detail is where it starts, and it only grows from there. The world feels alive, from the propaganda littering the streets to the way Elizabeth reacts to certain discoveries while you both slowly crawl around Columbia's cityscape. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand, freely allowing you to explore Columbia at your own pace. There's plenty off the beaten path, but it never forces the player to find it. You have to be invested, curious, and interested. Playing Bioshock just to get to the next shootout is not playing Bioshock Infinite at all. The gameplay, while I haven't had any major battles featuring the skylines, feels tighter and much more action packed, peppered by intense battles and a lethal arsenal. The level design is also incredibly unique, featuring some truly stunning moments even within the first few hours. Now, the game isn't without some faults. Flat textures abound on consoles, but it is a far from ugly game (far from it actually). Elizabeth also sometimes moves around way too much (I assume she is attempting to focus on the player's location, and the AI engine can't decide what to do), giving her a sense of a hyper curious person. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it is a little jarring as at certain points she is incredibly life like, and others feels like an NPC deciding where to stand. That being said, Elizabeth is impressive so far. Her animations are stupendous, facial animations are stunning, and the voice work (for everyone, at that) is spot on. I have yet to jump into the meat of the story, as I'm taking this game very slow, but so far the wait has been worth it. Well worth it.
  32. Apr 2, 2013
    If you are a Bioshock fan, you will LOVE this game. This is everything I have waited patiently for all these years. I hope the DLC is just as good as the campaign.
  33. Apr 10, 2013
    I wanted to love this game. The hype surrounding this game was immense. I wasn't a big fan of the original BioShock and BioShock 2 just bored me. I was hoping that this game would give me a new perspective of the BioShock series. Before anything, BioShock Infinite is a great game. Definitely one of the best games this year in what seems to be an extremely dead gaming period. Graphics areI wanted to love this game. The hype surrounding this game was immense. I wasn't a big fan of the original BioShock and BioShock 2 just bored me. I was hoping that this game would give me a new perspective of the BioShock series. Before anything, BioShock Infinite is a great game. Definitely one of the best games this year in what seems to be an extremely dead gaming period. Graphics are outstanding, gameplay is smooth and combat is solid. However, a game isn't complete without a good story. This is where Bioshock Infinite was a let down for me. The story was really hard to follow. The plot characters just seemed way out of place. Elizabeth is said to be the "loveable" character in the game but even her role is somewhat hard to pick out. This is only made more confusing by final hour or so of the game. A lot of people have "complained" about the ending of this game and it is clear why. It is just a mess. It seems to trail off its natural path, giving the kind of "shutters island" finale that is just difficult to fully understand what is happening. Also, this game contains one of biggest pet peeves in gaming. The "survival" type final fight. A lot of games seem to be adapting this lately and it is just annoying and ruins everything about the game before that point. All this been said though, I liked BioShock Infinite. It did not give a new look on the series as I had hoped it would but I am glad I picked it up. A definite, if not inevitable" front runner for game of the year. Expand
  34. Mar 28, 2013
    Words can not describe the absolutely thrilling experience that is BioShock Infinite. From start to finish, Infinite boasts gorgeous visuals, a beautiful soundtrack and very customizable gameplay. Not to mention that the story is extremely original. The ending kept me up at night after beating it and that alone makes it a game worth playing. If I do have any gripes, it's that the game doesWords can not describe the absolutely thrilling experience that is BioShock Infinite. From start to finish, Infinite boasts gorgeous visuals, a beautiful soundtrack and very customizable gameplay. Not to mention that the story is extremely original. The ending kept me up at night after beating it and that alone makes it a game worth playing. If I do have any gripes, it's that the game does stutter at times, but that is a problem with the 360's aging hardware. If you can play it on PC, I'd recommend it, but the Xbox version is great too. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2013
    Big waste of imagination and spectacular graphics, with many epic moments, you can not miss in any house of any player, with the first Bioshock did not expect much of February and loved it, but this bioshock in the sky is incredible and exciting
  36. Nov 19, 2014
    Single player FPS don't usually hold my interest for really long. I prefer multiplayer. But this game was just amazing. I love the steampunk design, the twist ending, the level design, the power ups. Im not going to write a very long detailed review but this game was great.
  37. May 14, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a game with great game-play, visuals and keeps you entertained throughout with an exiting storyline that grasps your attention from beginning to end.
  38. Mar 27, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS Full Review to follow: Bioshock Infinite, despite it's lofty expectations and undeniably "sky high" promises from creative powerhouse Irrational Games, is an incredible achievement in interactive entertainment. i have not anymore to say
  39. Apr 4, 2013
    As this generation of console is coming to a close, gamers are spoiled for choice in terms of quality games to buy. This generation is also recognized as a proof that Western Developers are eclipsing their Japanese counterparts. Sure, many of their outputs are low brow, violent, military shooters, a trend that seems to sell games by the millions. Nevertheless, western games 'auteurs'?As this generation of console is coming to a close, gamers are spoiled for choice in terms of quality games to buy. This generation is also recognized as a proof that Western Developers are eclipsing their Japanese counterparts. Sure, many of their outputs are low brow, violent, military shooters, a trend that seems to sell games by the millions. Nevertheless, western games 'auteurs'? Well, they are not as 'prevalent' as in Japan, but with Bioshock Infinite, we can finally say that Ken Levine is indeed one of such type of game developers, standing along legendary game makers such as Hideo Kojima and Shigeru Miyamoto. Infinite is an incredibly beautiful game, pushing current hardware to the max. It's a FPS at heart, but it contains a narrative drive and worldview that is truly great. Surprisingly poignant storyline is coupled with jaw dropping set pieces. It has a great AI partner that really helps you in a bind, but at the same time really forms the core of the story. The world of Columbia is so detailed, 'Miyazaki'-eqsue at times, and its immersive nature is done without a nary of cut scenes in sight. Is Infinite one of the best game of this generation? Yes it is. And along with other great games coming in the last two months, such as Tomb Raider and MG Rising, will definitely leave a mark on your finances! Expand
  40. Aug 4, 2013
    this game is a thought provoking and interesting experience. Infinite provides the a first person shooter with a brain. The game has one of the more unique and interesting stories ever told within a video game. Everything is meticulously planned and when everything sinks together it leaves you with a real shock to the system. The game looks amazing on every system and plays fluidly. it isthis game is a thought provoking and interesting experience. Infinite provides the a first person shooter with a brain. The game has one of the more unique and interesting stories ever told within a video game. Everything is meticulously planned and when everything sinks together it leaves you with a real shock to the system. The game looks amazing on every system and plays fluidly. it is a shame that the rail combat was not included more heavily in the game because it is a blast. I lot of people have complained about the combat, but i think it is fast paced and enjoyable the weapons feel great and the shooting feels much better than previous bioshock games. the addition of gear and fusions adds to the great combat and of course the vigors are fun and extremely powerful. it is great that the game allows you to find your favorite combination of gear, weapon and vigor. the stars of the show however are definitely the characters and the back story of the world of columbia. the world is interesting and begging to be explored.
    this is the pinnacle of first person shooters and easily one of the best games of this generation.
  41. Apr 7, 2013
    So I'd been hearing about all the hype about this game for awhile, so I caved and bought the damn thing. All the while playing it, I was very impressed, but not really thinking that it was a 'masterpiece' that some people had claimed. I thought that until I got up to the end, and honestly everything I thought I knew about games went out the window. Definitely the most thought-provoking andSo I'd been hearing about all the hype about this game for awhile, so I caved and bought the damn thing. All the while playing it, I was very impressed, but not really thinking that it was a 'masterpiece' that some people had claimed. I thought that until I got up to the end, and honestly everything I thought I knew about games went out the window. Definitely the most thought-provoking and mind-bending end to a game I've ever played... I literally said 'WTF' to my TV. Comparing this to the last 2 games does it no justice, it stands on its own as a great achievement in video games. Of course it's not without its faults, but really the story alone is the reason to experience Bioshock Infinite. I'm definitely going to play it again. Expand
  42. May 13, 2013
    I don't think any game deserves a perfect score because hopefully developers continue to strive for perfection for a game with updates throughout it's cycle but if any game deserves an almost perfect score it would be this.

The story is solid, one of the best any game can give you, and the game play is equally impressive. If you a fan of Bioshock or Bioshock 2 you'll love this game. Anyone that gives this game a 0 isn't being fair to the game and the people who worked hard to give us an amazing experience.

And if someone says the 1999 mode isn't hard enough please prove it.
  43. May 29, 2014
    Prepared to be blown away!!!! This game easily has one of the best stories in gaming history. With twist and turns that will blow you away. Make sure to follow the dialogue and story when playing or you can easy get lost/overwhelmed. My only dislike for this game come with the combat and RPG elements. Unlike Bioshock upgrading your guns and powers is not nearly as rewarding. The powers arePrepared to be blown away!!!! This game easily has one of the best stories in gaming history. With twist and turns that will blow you away. Make sure to follow the dialogue and story when playing or you can easy get lost/overwhelmed. My only dislike for this game come with the combat and RPG elements. Unlike Bioshock upgrading your guns and powers is not nearly as rewarding. The powers are lackluster and the enemies get repetitive quickly. Big daddies where an actual challenge in Bioshock while the Handy Men are easily defeated. Overall an amazing game worth playing over and over!!!! Expand
  44. Jul 17, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the first truly great games to come out in a long time. There is just so much that this game does right. From the opening sequence that does the job of immersing you amazingly, to your arrival in Columbia, which is absolutely breathtaking, to the absolutely sublime ending which I won't spoil, because spoilers would result in your mind not melting upon reachingBioshock Infinite is one of the first truly great games to come out in a long time. There is just so much that this game does right. From the opening sequence that does the job of immersing you amazingly, to your arrival in Columbia, which is absolutely breathtaking, to the absolutely sublime ending which I won't spoil, because spoilers would result in your mind not melting upon reaching the end.

Anyway. Gushing aside, this is a great, well-put-together game. It's everything a sequel should be. One that uses the previous game as a jumping-off point to explore bigger and better things, spreading silvery angelic wings and flying off into unexplored territory. It takes the gameplay from the first game, fast, fun, actiony shooting with plasmid abilities, only now the plasmids are called vigors, and applies it to a more adventurous toned game rather than horror-themed, adding in mechanics such as the skyhook and Elizabeth's tears, as well as gear which has different effects, and it all meshes together seamlessly to create some of the most fun and interesting shooter gameplay I've seen in a long time. The story is definitely up to Irrational's standard, exploring complex themes both in morality and in science, presenting both in equally interesting ways, and allowing the story to unfold organically. Elizabeth in particular deserves mention, as she was one of the most intriguing and organic characters I've ever interacted with in a game, though to be fair most of the other characters were just as good, it simply wasn't as noticeable because they got less screentime.

I believe I should also mention that this game is ludicrously thought-provoking. I finished it a few weeks ago and there are still bits of the story I'm working on figuring out.

The world is also incredibly immersive, partly because you never leave Booker's first-person perspective and partly because every aspect of it is so well-crafted, feeling very cohesive and real. It's almost impossible not to get sucked in.

The graphics are also absolutely beautiful, with some truly amazing views to be found.

The final boss battle is also one of the better I've seen, as it successfully tests all the skills you've learned to use thus far, which is exactly what a final battle is supposed to do. It's climactic, fun, difficult, and provides plenty of methods with which to attack the enemy, fitting whatever play style you prefer, and even adds an extra mechanic which works quite intuitively.

If I had to criticize this game, I would have to say that death doesn't hold a lot of weight, and that makes it a little hard to take threats seriously and get invested in combat. But this is a small nitpick compared to the sheer earth-shattering greatness of this game.

I wish I could go into more specifics, but this is a really spoilery game. Just suffice it to say that it's excellent, definitely worth buying.
  45. Mar 30, 2013
    First off, I am admittedly a Bioshock fan. The first game, and even the second, demonstrated and combined unparalled narrative and brilliant gameplay. So, while I am a gamer, this is only the second game I have ever preordered. While I had my doubts that it would live up to the first game, I did assume that on some level it would be at least a fun experience with an interesting story. OhFirst off, I am admittedly a Bioshock fan. The first game, and even the second, demonstrated and combined unparalled narrative and brilliant gameplay. So, while I am a gamer, this is only the second game I have ever preordered. While I had my doubts that it would live up to the first game, I did assume that on some level it would be at least a fun experience with an interesting story. Oh my, how it absolutely blew away my expectations. FYI, this review is spoiler free.

The Story: Absolutely amazing. If you enjoy stories of any kind this is a story that could not be told in other medium. Think Twilight Zone at its best. The enviroments create layers upon layers of pull narrative, which is there if you want to experience it but it won't get in the way. It's not heavy handed at all and there are a ton of lodd ittle moments that stand out but totally make sense later on, or if you pay attention to certain details.

Graphics: The best of this generation in my opinion. The lighting and enviroments are incredible. The character models are full of style and life; a mix of realism and cartoonish aesthetics. It is unique to Bioshock and works really well. The art desgin really stands out as well.

Gameplay: Shooters are a dime a dozen, but what makes Bioshock unique is the abilities given to the player. Infinite does this well, and the combat is really enjoyable. The weapon are varied as well. I often had issue with being forced to carry ony two weapons, but half way through the game it became quite apparent there was always another weapon lying around if you needed to rely on it. My biggest gripe is the AI often seems stupid. It's not too noticible in the midst of a fire fight, but occassinal the AI will not even notice your presence which takes away from the experience. Overall, the combat is a blast. The sky rails really are awesome and add an extra element t the fast paced combat. The other addition is Elizabeth's ability to bring in objects from other realities which can aid you, this adds to the overall strategy of combat and a welcome addition. She is also helpful and getting you items when you're in need.

As I've stated, this game is nothing short of a masterpiece that will be talked about for ages, even moreso than the first I think. It is baffling to see the odd user review call it overrated, but I think that comes down to what you enjoy in a game. This game is an experience, but if you're looking for a straight up shooter this might not be for you. There are periods of time without any combat at all, you're just taking in the world. I really think this is the game to show what is possible with stories and videogames. The ending does not dissapoint.
  46. Mar 29, 2013
    *9.9* The biggest issue in Bioshock Infinite is that not only does it beg to be explored, it is necessary to fully understand and appreciate the game.
  47. Apr 6, 2013
    The original Bioshock is my favorite video game of all time, and I thought there was absolutely no way this game can live up to it. I was wrong. I have never had so much fun in a game in my entire life. The sky rails are amazing and I could stay on those things all day. Although there are less powers (Vigors), the powers are all very different and I do not need anymore. My personalThe original Bioshock is my favorite video game of all time, and I thought there was absolutely no way this game can live up to it. I was wrong. I have never had so much fun in a game in my entire life. The sky rails are amazing and I could stay on those things all day. Although there are less powers (Vigors), the powers are all very different and I do not need anymore. My personal favorite is Undertow. The ending was superb and makes this game have the best story of any video game of ALL time. Play it and you will experience this masterpiece. Expand
  48. May 13, 2013
    Alright, so the first Bioshock has been out since 2007 and was a jaw dropping theme then, what with the game changing art style, revolutionary gameplay, it really was a spectacle to see be released on the 360. Then it came to Bioshock 2, and as far as it goes to say, it was a good reason to hop back on the bathysphere to explore more that the city of Rapture had to offer. But now, with aAlright, so the first Bioshock has been out since 2007 and was a jaw dropping theme then, what with the game changing art style, revolutionary gameplay, it really was a spectacle to see be released on the 360. Then it came to Bioshock 2, and as far as it goes to say, it was a good reason to hop back on the bathysphere to explore more that the city of Rapture had to offer. But now, with a step out of the water to take a breath of fresh air in a city up in the clouds, Columbia. As soon as you get shot up into this unbelievable town. Where as it doesn't start the action right away, this is actually a good thing because it gives you a chance to take everything in, really take in all the sights of this game Irrational Games has been on for years. Since I was already a big fan of the other two, you bet I had my copy pre-ordered and I awaited til midnight to get my chance to play this magnificent game, and definitely was not disappointed. Among other things, you will notice right away that it feels kind of different from the past two games, but still the same similarity. The combat in this game is where it really takes the cake, it's like they had finally read the complaints about the other games in the means of combat and DID something about it, and that is why I see this gaming company going farther with a series like this, which I hope they really do, even though the ending in this game, leaves you with a mind enough as it is. What I really love about this game, is that the protagonist Booker DeWitt, actually has a voice to be heard, and an opinion around every corner, so that you can really grow closer to how Booker feels and thinks about most things, building a connection. The sky-lines are a cool aspect in this game, although not really used as much as I thought they would be, being a major way to travel around the city and around combat, however, I suppose it actually is a good thing that it is not revolved around such an aspect, since it could get old pretty fast, leaving the sequences still to be looked forward to when they happen. Kind of like the ordeals with Songbird when Elizabeth's guardian shows up to do its job, these are really fun sequences that just don't happen that often. Now, they do have many options to choose in this game, where you might think it could make a huge difference in the gameplay later or change how the game plays, this is not really the case however, feel free to make choices without much penalty to the outlook of the story. All in all, this game lives up from its predecessors, and keeps the Bioshock name awesome as ever. If you're considering about trying this game, you're overthinking the answer will always be yes, even if you weren't a big fan of the first one, the ending of this game is completely mind-bottling and changes how you could look at things. This is definitely the kind of ending, when you finish it, you will want to find a friend who's finished it as well and have a long, deep conversation with them about what they thought it all meant over a cup of tea. I give Bioshock Infinite, 10/10 Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I should probably start out by saying that I am not a fan of the first two Bioshock games, I'm don't dislike them but I wouldn't consider myself a fan, however I decided to buy Bioshock Infinite on a whim, and am so glad that I did. The game is absolutely beautiful, yes it may lack the graphical power of games such as Crysis 3 but the world of Columbia looks absolutely amazing from an artistic point of view, the gameplay is solid but so far seems slightly too easy on medium difficulty I will be trying out 1999 mode on my 2nd playthrough.) The story in the game is one of the best I've seen in a while and I've barley scratched the surface of it, so far despite not much happening I am completely captivated by it. I also found the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth to be believable thanks to the amazing voice acting supplied by Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper. Speaking of Elizabeth, never before have I cared for a gaming character, but thanks to the amazing talent behind her (AI, Motion Capture, Voice, Model, Script etc...) I think I might actually care for the character. I don't know why but when I (Potential Spoilers) first killed a group of men in front of her and I saw that she was scared of me because of that I kind of felt bad because she'd gone from being really happy and ecstatic to scared and cold. (Spoilers End) I could keep writing about this game for a while, but I kind of want to get back to playing it, if you are unsure on whether to buy this game or not, I strongly recommend buying this full price, it's utterly amazing and almost (In my eyes at least) faultless. It's good to see that this console generation is ending on a high note with games such as this and Tomb Raider and hopefully more to come. Expand
  50. Apr 1, 2013
    A game such as this comes once in a generation, and very few times in a lifetime. True Master craft worked with the biggest love and attention, from music to visuals, it was an incredible pleasure. The story in particular is the work of genius, it will have you thinking for days after you've finished it. Never has a game had such an incredible story and characters that can stir some deepA game such as this comes once in a generation, and very few times in a lifetime. True Master craft worked with the biggest love and attention, from music to visuals, it was an incredible pleasure. The story in particular is the work of genius, it will have you thinking for days after you've finished it. Never has a game had such an incredible story and characters that can stir some deep emotions inside of you. Thank you Irrational. Unforgettable. Expand
  51. Dec 12, 2015
    This is a very important game. This is the kind of game that people will be talking about ten, fifteen, even twenty years from now. This is an interactive piece of art that will change you as a person; it will cause you to ponder human nature, both the good and the bad that all of us are capable of. It is a treat to the eyes and the ears superficially, but also to the heart and the soulThis is a very important game. This is the kind of game that people will be talking about ten, fifteen, even twenty years from now. This is an interactive piece of art that will change you as a person; it will cause you to ponder human nature, both the good and the bad that all of us are capable of. It is a treat to the eyes and the ears superficially, but also to the heart and the soul subliminally. I wish I could play this for the first time again, to be able to take in all of its wonderful quality with all the surprises that are scattered throughout. Play this game, and spread the word: this is art that shocks, scares, unnerves, but also art that soothes, calms, and makes you feel like a kid again, experiencing the world through naive, but optimistic eyes. Expand
  52. Apr 1, 2013
    I cannot give this game anything less than 10, I am not going to repeat the reasons already described ad nauseum in the 10 reviews below, but I thought It was worth it mention this I have seen some reviews in the list below that mentioned "clunky controls" (I have played on the Xbox 360), I have changed the default layout control in the options menu to the one that uses the LT buttonI cannot give this game anything less than 10, I am not going to repeat the reasons already described ad nauseum in the 10 reviews below, but I thought It was worth it mention this I have seen some reviews in the list below that mentioned "clunky controls" (I have played on the Xbox 360), I have changed the default layout control in the options menu to the one that uses the LT button for aim zoom instead of the default layout that uses the right stick (button 3), that has facilitated the gameplay a lot to me. Expand
  53. Jan 5, 2014
    Just beat this game today. Bioshock Infinite is a great game that ultimately falls short of the original. The story was good but i felt there were some plot holes that took away from the experience. However, overall the story had good pacing and was interesting. That said what bothered me the most was the tone of the game. The environments didn't have the same atmosphere the original had.Just beat this game today. Bioshock Infinite is a great game that ultimately falls short of the original. The story was good but i felt there were some plot holes that took away from the experience. However, overall the story had good pacing and was interesting. That said what bothered me the most was the tone of the game. The environments didn't have the same atmosphere the original had. The tension experienced in rapture was nonexistent. Events like obtaining the shotgun in the original Bioshock did not happen. Some enemies like the Handymen did not feel like an adequate replacement for their rapture counterparts. While the game looks amazing it lacks the creepiness and the immersion of the original. At times i felt like i was just running from one fight to the next whereas in the original i felt i was discovering a ruined city and piecing together what happened to it. There are audio diaries in Columbia and while there is some back story it lacked the mystery and sense of wonder that rapture had. Columbia is a beautiful city to look at but exploring it ultimately left me feeling the backstory wasn't quite as good. However, there are still plenty of reasons to play the game. Combat was great, controls were to easy to get used to and the new plasmids were really cool. While the story might not live up to the original it still had its great moments and cool environments. It might not quite reach the heights of the first Bioshock but i still highly recommend the game. Expand
  54. Apr 15, 2013
    BioShock Infinite isn't a merely a game, it's an experience, one that will leave you questioning everything you know and sad that never again will there be a game so complete.
  55. Jul 12, 2013
    OH MY WORD THE STORY. I loved the cinematic feel of this game, very much in the same vein as the original bioshock. The twist was one that left me reeling for days. The presentation was similarly fantastic. The only real issue that I had is that for some reason I felt that the gameplay felt like it was somewhat forced. Like the story, and the gameplay felt a bit dissonant, like it was aOH MY WORD THE STORY. I loved the cinematic feel of this game, very much in the same vein as the original bioshock. The twist was one that left me reeling for days. The presentation was similarly fantastic. The only real issue that I had is that for some reason I felt that the gameplay felt like it was somewhat forced. Like the story, and the gameplay felt a bit dissonant, like it was a movie with a shooter added in. However, regardless of this whining I cannot deny the story, setting, characters, style was just so amazing, definitely the best game I've played for quite some time. Expand
  56. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is the most hooked I've been on a game since Fallout 2. I was a little late on the hype wagon so I made extra sure to not read any spoilers while I awaited my order to arrive from overseas (cheaper this way).
    From the opening scene, nay the Main Menu even, the graphics are easily the best seen on consoles (and most probably PC yet). Not the best as in technologically wowing or polygon counts that require you to buy a liquid nitrogen cooling system, but the overall impact of the art direction and surroundings that draw you into this game world. The sunshafts look exquisite and the subtle dust clouds (which were something a friend noticed before I did) just make the whole image 'complete'. The effects when you first acquire a new vigor are awesome albeit a little chilling and I'm saying this while plodding through my second playthrough (already done Hard, time for 1999 mode now).

The audio is top-notch. I'm playing through 5.1 in the lounge room (with a bit of recline on the sofa and the subtle background effects are incredible. I looked around the lounge room once because I thought there was a fly behind me! Great sample rate guys In certain areas the crackle and burn of an overloaded electrical circuit sounds as 'nails on a chalkboard' painful as you'd expect. All that was missing was the burnt plastic smell! I'll concede that in certain firefights it can be tricky to pinpoint an enemy's location based on the audio alone. I have a feeling there may be some 'echoing' acoustics in play however which may well be by design.

Finally the story! You know naught other than what Booker witnesses the second the game kicks off. There is plenty of gameplay before you even meet Elizabeth, but when you do that's when it all shifts up a gear. I refuse to give anything away here, but even though I may have been frustrated due to failing repeatedly in a gun battle here or there, the niggling 'what happens next?' compelled me to power on through to victory.

Based on the usual logical criteria and gameplay itself this game would still rock a solid 8 or 9. But the feeling the player is left with after finishing the game and witnessing everything come to fruition? That's a 10 in my books.
  57. May 1, 2013
    Initially, Bioshock Infinite caught my eye in a passing manner. I was certainly interested, but didn't really anticipate it like some prior releases. As soon as I picked it up, though, it was immediately clear this game went above and beyond the expectations set forth by the current generation of FPS games. I admit, I was a fan of the first Bioshock. The tone and atmosphere were great, andInitially, Bioshock Infinite caught my eye in a passing manner. I was certainly interested, but didn't really anticipate it like some prior releases. As soon as I picked it up, though, it was immediately clear this game went above and beyond the expectations set forth by the current generation of FPS games. I admit, I was a fan of the first Bioshock. The tone and atmosphere were great, and the concept captured my imagination. Though I had some minor gripes with some gameplay mechanics, and polish issues, it was and still is a great game. Bioshock infinite on the other hand, blew me away with its great storytelling and fluid gameplay.
    First off, the look of the game. Its certainly not as gritty and textured as some games, but I really don't feel that is the point. Its stylized, and for a purpose. To encapsulate the bright and floaty feel the city should take, and to emphasize the time period. From the characters, to the city, to the machines; it all fits within the confines of the look and feels natural. Though it initially starts off bright and scenic, the colors dampen and darken as you turn the stones to reveal the dark underbelly of the cities politics.
    The story and setting are amazing. The city is a wonder, and its great to explore. It is filled with voxophones (audio diaries) and other historical items to expand upon the universe, but even when I had collected all of them I wanted to learn more. The story, without any real spoilers, isn't limited to the fantastical and faces very real issues of the time. From religious fanaticism to racism, the human element is very prevalent. But it is all centered around the main character, Booker Dewitt. A veteran and former Pinkerton, who is hired to bring a girl to New York in exchange for wiping clean his gambling (and other) debts. And from the girl, Elizabeth, to the prophet Comstock, to the rebellion leader Fitzroy, everyone has a part in the story, and everyone is as colorful and thought out as the next.
    Game-play, I found, was very fluid and in my experiences cinematic. If you have played the first Bioshock at all you would know that tandem use of plasmids (known as Vigors in Infinite) and guns were difficult and unwieldy. You had to either equip weaponry OR plasmid. In Infinite, thankfully they are more seamlessly combined. Though a similar layout is used (left trigger vigor, right trigger gun), you can now keep your weapon equipped and use left trigger to instantly blast out a vigor. Weapons themselves are your standard affair: pistol, machine gun, shotgun, etc. But the vigors are the standouts. This time around, vigors are a bit more refined, as Bioshock had many great vigors, they were too varied and too specialized. The creators have now smartly combined traps and instant use as a secondary and primary fire, and thus vigors can be used several ways each. Lastly, the sky lines. These things are GREAT. Not only for travel, which is fun to zip through areas anyway, but in combat it is awesome to lunge onto one to get a birds eye view of the battle or to buy some time and heal up.
    I could go on for MUCH MUCH longer about the companion aspect with Elizabeth, which Infinite may be credited with being the first game to get it right, to Songbird, the Infinite Big Daddy equivalent, to the thought provoking story-line, but I have limited words on this tiny box. One thing I can say is, PLAY THIS GAME! You wont regret this purchase!
  58. Apr 8, 2013
    Looking at Bioshock Infinite as a game, its not very good. Shooting mechanics are poor and the constant looting is boring. Why loot if you don't have a proper inventory system? Looking at Bioshock Infinite as a interactive story, it pretty much hits the nail on the head. I loved the story but found the game play elements got in the way of the story. It was a drag through the game to get toLooking at Bioshock Infinite as a game, its not very good. Shooting mechanics are poor and the constant looting is boring. Why loot if you don't have a proper inventory system? Looking at Bioshock Infinite as a interactive story, it pretty much hits the nail on the head. I loved the story but found the game play elements got in the way of the story. It was a drag through the game to get to the next part of the story. Visually, it's impressive and the sound design is one of the best. I'll give this an 8 for story but if i was scoring it as a game it would be a 5. Expand
  59. Mar 30, 2013
    One of the best or maybe the best fps i have ever played! A story and characters that will grab you from the start and combat that has the old bio-shock feel. And plot twist that will go WTF more then once, You need to do yourself a favor and get this game now
  60. Apr 17, 2013
    I loved the other Bioshocks, but this had a dissapointing feel. The ending was epic and amazing, but this game could have been so much better. There is alot of loopholes in the story (non ending wise), and it just doesn't make sense that not a single person you fight against uses the "plasmids" against you.

It is damn good, but it should no way win game of the year.
  61. Jun 13, 2013
    Since this will be the 823rd positive review, I won't write a book. Bioshock Infinite is an incredible video game. Your first playthrough will leave you breathless, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear when the city of Columbia first came into view. This game is about character moments and emotion, and is short of neither. Combat is underwhelming, and is obviously not the focus ofSince this will be the 823rd positive review, I won't write a book. Bioshock Infinite is an incredible video game. Your first playthrough will leave you breathless, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear when the city of Columbia first came into view. This game is about character moments and emotion, and is short of neither. Combat is underwhelming, and is obviously not the focus of the game. The weapons are not diverse, and Vigor abilities don't have nearly the visceral kick that Tonics had in Bioshock 1 and 2. This game makes the perfect case for video games as an art form, and if that were the only metric, this review would be 10/10. However, lack of variation and creativity in combat mechanics does leave a core gamer wanting more. That being said, you owe it to yourself to play this game at least once. It deserves every bit of the hype it's gotten. Expand
  62. Mar 30, 2013
    This is what I call a masterpiece, the best since Half-Life 2.
    A great story, good looking visuals, and a great sound.
    Gameplay is awesome, faster than in the other 2 Bioshock games. You will feel like you are inside Columbie, like you are Booker. Also, Elisabeth is a great character, you will WANT to help her, even If you don't need to. For me, she's even better than Alyx. It has
    This is what I call a masterpiece, the best since Half-Life 2.
    A great story, good looking visuals, and a great sound.
    Gameplay is awesome, faster than in the other 2 Bioshock games.

You will feel like you are inside Columbie, like you are Booker.
    It has one of the best videogame endings, but it's a little strange.
    Also the story is long, and if you are masochist, or really good, you can try the "1999 mode" in wich you start the whole story again each time you die.

9'8 out of 10, so a 10.
  63. Apr 13, 2013
    Better get this out of the way early, I like the Bioshock franchise, hell I love it to bits but there is liking a game and then understanding that a game was overrated and liked for the wrong reasons (glaring over at Bioshock 1). Bioshock 1 was System Shock 2 (the developer, Irrational Games, previous title) to a T, hell it even ripped half the name off it. System Shock 2 was a game thatBetter get this out of the way early, I like the Bioshock franchise, hell I love it to bits but there is liking a game and then understanding that a game was overrated and liked for the wrong reasons (glaring over at Bioshock 1). Bioshock 1 was System Shock 2 (the developer, Irrational Games, previous title) to a T, hell it even ripped half the name off it. System Shock 2 was a game that had been made nearly 10 years earlier and for quite a lot of people did the job a damn lot better than Bioshock did. Anyway I digress, on with Bioshock Infinite.
    You are Booker DeWitt, a man sent to pay off a debt by capturing a girl named Elizabeth from the flying city of Columbia and bringing her back to New York. However soon after arriving on Columbia you are marked out as the Antichrist that will destroy Columbia. Eventually you find Elizabeth and begin your journey to New York (or as she is lead to believe, Paris) but are stopped time and time again by dark secrets about Columbia, Elizabeth and yourself as well as a majority of the supporting cast. The story gets pretty out of control rather quickly from then on and is probably better left to first hand experience but make sure you bring some migraine tablets and someone with a Masters Degree in Quantum Mechanics otherwise you'll have no clue what on Earth has happened by the end of the game (and the funny part is you think I'm joking about the Quantum Physicist).
    The game plays like the past 2 Bioshock games but with a faster pace, better shooting mechanics and half a ton less ammo (which is a bit odd considering the amount of weapons there are just laying around) Plasmids are back but they are Vigour's now and you can also use a special tonic thing to upgrade your health, shield and Salt (the substitute for Eve) but unfortunately these are rather scarce and make the feature near pointless. Also the audio logs are back and this makes the story even harder to understand when you miss one of the bastards because they are so well hidden.
    The game looks pretty gorgeous but the console versions suffer from muddy textures, slow frame rates and the lack of mouse & Keyboard controls making the PC version much superior but its nothing that shouldn't be expected from the ageing consoles this late into their lifespan.
    In short Bioshock Infinite is the best Bioshock game yet, probably one of the best games of the year but its still early days (It is only March after all) but it is still getting too much hype for it shouldn't be taking credit for, plus what's with the love of steampunk since Bioshock 1 landed? Its like people treat it as though its a new thing.
  64. Apr 11, 2013
    After 2012 not having any games that I have played get over a 9.5. So will Bioshock infinite change that or will it fall short? Bioshock is an fantastic game and it deserves all the great review and money its getting. First of the floating city of Columbia is such a beautiful place and is done better then the underwater city of Rapture. But things do get darker and grimmer as the game goesAfter 2012 not having any games that I have played get over a 9.5. So will Bioshock infinite change that or will it fall short? Bioshock is an fantastic game and it deserves all the great review and money its getting. First of the floating city of Columbia is such a beautiful place and is done better then the underwater city of Rapture. But things do get darker and grimmer as the game goes on. Power you get are really cool unlike the first 2 games I have not found any of them usless. Story is great with couple of great twists and turns while playing through it. The new sky lines are fun to use and can be tense at times. New charactors are well done. Enimies are a bit easy until you face a handy man, sort of like big dadfys but much harder. My only con for this game is their is only one ending witch spoils the chances for replay value. But the one ending is really good witch I did not see coming at all. Overall Bioshock Infinite fantasic game and its worth every piece of money. Bioshock Infinite 9.6/10 Expand
  65. Mar 30, 2013
    I loved the original Bioshock when it came out in 2007. That the pace of the plot evaporated after the twist mattered not one jot, the game delivered deep in something sadly missing from many games today atmosphere. Bioshock 2 I also enjoyed in 2010, with the way that it opened up more, and gave a spin on events in Rapture of its own accord, but it never stunned like the original.I loved the original Bioshock when it came out in 2007. That the pace of the plot evaporated after the twist mattered not one jot, the game delivered deep in something sadly missing from many games today atmosphere. Bioshock 2 I also enjoyed in 2010, with the way that it opened up more, and gave a spin on events in Rapture of its own accord, but it never stunned like the original. After seeing the first trailers for Bioshock Infinite 2 years ago, I was hoping for something that would deliver in all key areas of a great game i was not disappointed!! Presentation is generally excellent for the 360, the loads being minimal and fairly fast. The graphics are beautiful in the way that they are executed and the imagination behind them, and if there is the occasional pop-in of objects or textures, and an odd moment of frame rate stutter, it never affects the gameplay. Sound design is on another level though, completely the voice actors do a sterling job, the sound effects are eerie in their delivery, and coupled with the amazing soundtrack which at times evokes memories of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, amongst other things. The soundtrack is a loud, cluttered and often blustering bundle of objects that does what its supposed to it fills in the spaces that the graphics depend on to deliver the whole 'feel' so to speak. And so to the gameplay, which is where I have to state that this latest entry in the Bioshock series truly is the best so far. There are a handful of neat gimmicks put into the game at key points (the skyhooks, the tears in time), which when coupled with some familiar aspects (the vigors you may have seen before, and the weaponry), makes for some compulsive First-Person shooter gameplay however, the final ingredient, the one that makes this game truly great, and probably one of this years' best (and probably the decades I'm going to state right now!!) is the plot thundering through on some riffs from Alan Moore (think sparks of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Watchmen), and some very clear influences from Terry Gilliam (Brazil, 12 Monkeys), and many more I could mention, the whole thing moves from scene to scene, and never ever detaches the player from the game I've said this before, but if this were a book (the whole thing certainly feels like a graphic novel) you'd be up until 4 in the morning reading it!! The last time I played a game that truly made me want to get to the end, to see the whole thing, and know what was going on so much, was either Shadow of the Colossus or Half Life 2, so I think you can understand how highly I rate this game. i could write more, but alas, I'm on my second playthrough of the cursed game you see, and I want to get back to it, so I'll finish with this it is the best single-player campaign game I have played in years, it threatens to overflow with the wealth of ideas bursting forth, and even if you don't think you'll enjoy it, you have to give it at least a try. One utterly superb game. Expand
  66. Mar 28, 2013
    Incredible game! The only medium that has aptly portrayed the other dimensions theory intelligently. The gameplay is quite fun and one of the best AI's for a npc and enemies alike. I am ecstatic there isn't a tacked on multiplayer trying to nickle and dime consumers. Atta boy.
  67. Apr 8, 2013
    Simply amazing game, everything about it is just so polished and refined. only complaint is the some of the gun battles in the middle feel a bit forced, overall though a fantastic experience.
  68. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite starts off pulling the player in by immersing them in a creative sky city, where buildings move and the town is filled with circus games and stores. The story is pretty good and the voice acting by the main characters is top notch. The random npcs can become a little stale because most look the same and act the same but that doesn't hinder the game really. The graphics onBioshock Infinite starts off pulling the player in by immersing them in a creative sky city, where buildings move and the town is filled with circus games and stores. The story is pretty good and the voice acting by the main characters is top notch. The random npcs can become a little stale because most look the same and act the same but that doesn't hinder the game really. The graphics on 360 are good, not great with barely any textures but the art style makes up for the lack of textures. The atmosphere and art style is what you would expect from a Bioshock game, but this time the setting is in a different location entirely. The gameplay as well is what you would expect as well but with a few changes such as the unique sky hook which makes action quicker and kills all the more satisfying. To me after a while the gameplay gets a little stale, and the shooting seems kind of dull but that is just my take on it. The game to me gets a little tedious at times when there are a lot of enemies, I prefer when there are less and you can explore more. The story has a good pace to it and will keep you interested the whole way through, with a pretty good ending. Besides the sky hook the game feels the same as previous Bioshocks which is good and bad I guess. I personally am getting a little tired of the same art style and atmosphere with the whole early 1900's but it feels modern. It seems like a lot of games use that theme now but Bioshock uses it better than anyone else. Overall I feel the game is very solid and interesting but gets a little boring from time to time for me. I almost feel as if it is a bit overrated cause I feel like the game is good but not great. I give it a 9/10 for story, 8/10 for graphics, 8/10 for gameplay. I would give this game an 8.5 overall but metacritic does not do decimals so I give it an 8. Expand
  69. Mar 28, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is an AMAZING game, and is definitely a must buy for fans of shooters/RPGs and/or fans of compelling story games. You play as Booker DeWitt, a man sent to the flying city of Columbia to wipe away your debt by bringing the mysterious Elizabeth to New York for your employers. Although I am not very far through the game I am already intrigued by many of the character'sBioShock Infinite is an AMAZING game, and is definitely a must buy for fans of shooters/RPGs and/or fans of compelling story games. You play as Booker DeWitt, a man sent to the flying city of Columbia to wipe away your debt by bringing the mysterious Elizabeth to New York for your employers. Although I am not very far through the game I am already intrigued by many of the character's motives and backstories such as Booker's & Elizabeth's which I look forward to discovering throughout the game and from what I have played already, the game is very satisfying to play. The city of Columbia is beautiful and very well designed, you can easily see the level of effort that has been put into this world. The game also sucks you in, making you totally immersed in its world and leaving you wanting to learn more about it.
    The weapons are very fun to use and the controls are customisable so you can edit them to your liking. The newly titled "Vigors" instead of "Plasmids" from previous titles are also varied and great fun to use and experiment with. Elizabeth can also assist you in combat and exploration by finding money, ammo and salts for you. The AI behind her is the best I have ever seen from a game, she acts like a real person by naturally interacting with her environment by looking over balconies and etc. When you are not moving forward. Her facial expressions also change quickly depending on your current situation and they look very believable. Overall This game has exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it. It has great characters, a great storyline and great gameplay. It's a MUST BUY!
  70. Mar 28, 2013
    One of the most beautiful, polished, original, creative, and thought provoking games ever made. There's really no game like it on the market except for the original Bioshock. The game has a stunning beginning and a mind blowing conclusion that is actually only the beginning to understanding the story. Playing the game again brings about a totally new perspective on the game.
  71. Feb 26, 2014
    Although the gameplay could be a little better, the story, design and atmosphere are so incredibly good, that after a while, you don't really care about all that things that gameplay lacks, bacause, let's be fair about it, there are better shooters. Still, on the other hand, Bioshock games never were just "shooters". Music fits perfectly and the voice acting is top-class. Journey throughAlthough the gameplay could be a little better, the story, design and atmosphere are so incredibly good, that after a while, you don't really care about all that things that gameplay lacks, bacause, let's be fair about it, there are better shooters. Still, on the other hand, Bioshock games never were just "shooters". Music fits perfectly and the voice acting is top-class. Journey through Columbia is not something you gonna forget and definitely not something you should miss. Expand
  72. Mar 26, 2013
    Right away i was blown away and i keep being amazed by this game. Its surprises you all the time and makes your feelings swing, your happy and interested in everything then startled and frightened the next. The game play is phenomenal and entertaining, the audio/music is outstanding and the graphics are gorgeous. If you have every played a bioshock game before this then you will love thisRight away i was blown away and i keep being amazed by this game. Its surprises you all the time and makes your feelings swing, your happy and interested in everything then startled and frightened the next. The game play is phenomenal and entertaining, the audio/music is outstanding and the graphics are gorgeous. If you have every played a bioshock game before this then you will love this one possibly more than 1 & 2. If you haven't played bioshock before then you will still be able to get into this game and fall in love with bioshock. Expand
  73. Mar 27, 2013
    --Read the last paragraph for a quick summary.--
    I started this game slowly because the amazing graphics had me in awe. I walked around just looking and exploring what Columbia was. Then I got into the game I got my feet wet in the plot and combat.
    --Read the last paragraph for a quick summary.--

This game is simply amazing. Combat is great fast paced but strategic and the incorporation of Elizabeth is outstanding. The can toss you ammo at the perfect moment to help you out, but it doesn't ruin your current combat. It is so quick and in no way takes you out of the moment. You also don't need to worry about protecting her, since she will take cover and handle herself. The different powers and weapons can be combined very strategically, and the limited ammo can force the trigger-happy players to swap in new guns. The hook-claw works well for opening up an entire combat scenario, and Elizabeth's tears can morph the battlefield in various ways. This gameplay is like good ol' Bioshock, but with a more fast-paced, strategic, open environment.

Then there's the plot. Without giving away any spoilers, this plot is amazing. If you know the first installment of the series (Bioshock) and the "would you kindly" twist, you know you are in for a treat. This one has multiple plots Columbia vs. the Vox, Booker & Elizabeth trying to escape, then the idea of what is Elizabeth and the mystery of her powers, and the equally-interesting exploration of Booker DeWitt, the protagonist. The exploration of Columbia and its internal conflicts poses an interesting idea similar to the Atlas vs. Ryan conflict of Bioshock's Rapture. You have two forces competing for control of the city with opposing ideologies. Your typical rebellion/revolution scenario. This is simply a scenario that allows us to explore Columbia as a culture and city.

Next you have Booker's mission find the girl and wipe away the debt. Booker is trying to take Elizabeth to New York to pay off a debt. This girl is too valuable for the city to give up she is their "lamb" and prophesied to do great things. Comstock, the prophet and leader of Columbia, will do anything to keep her in the city, and uses the flying Songbird to ensure such. The greatest part of this is that you see Booker and Elizabeth grow together. You see Elizabeth grow as a character and gain her confidence. The relationship is just all too great.

The exploration of Elizabeth and her powers is interesting. She is puzzled by them and is trying to find meaning in all of it. As she explores the use of her powers, she begins to learn the consequences of her actions. Her powers come into effect in combat, as I said before, but they are really more key to the story. As you witness her powers grow, you begin to fear her potential.

Booker DeWitt is the protagonist of Bioshock: Infinite. Booker is sent to Columbia with one mission in mind: bring the girl to New York, wipe away the dept. He is haunted by his past, and has trouble living with the things he has done. I will let you see for yourself, but I will say that no game has ever connected me to a character as well as this. I felt with Booker, I shared his pain and sorrow, his determination and anger. While playing, I WAS Booker DeWitt.

All in all, this game was outstanding. The world, the character, the gameplay, the plot--all made for one of the greatest games out there. This is not Rapture, but it is certainly still the excellence we have come to expect with Bioshock. I would strongly recommend this game to anyone and everyone, even at the $60 starting price (which I never do).
  74. Sep 30, 2015
    This is everything BioShock 2 should have been. The game is so complex and rich with narrative and backstory that the game is just so damn enjoyable. I loved absolutely every moment of the game, the only real con of the game is most likely the actual shooting mechanics being rather dated, basically the same as it was in the original. But I loved it, I could play it over and over again.This is everything BioShock 2 should have been. The game is so complex and rich with narrative and backstory that the game is just so damn enjoyable. I loved absolutely every moment of the game, the only real con of the game is most likely the actual shooting mechanics being rather dated, basically the same as it was in the original. But I loved it, I could play it over and over again. BioShock Infinite is my personal game o the year and I cant wait to see what happens net in this rich setting that has been created by the talents at irrational Games. Expand
  75. Apr 7, 2013
    Gameplay is as u'd expect the bioshock formula. But the story... the story is confusing, you sit there at the end of the game with your jaw on the ground trying to understand. This just makes you want more, it engages you, its not another game that's all about gameplay and the story is a side game. I felt like I was playing a movie. The characters are great, what some people have said isGameplay is as u'd expect the bioshock formula. But the story... the story is confusing, you sit there at the end of the game with your jaw on the ground trying to understand. This just makes you want more, it engages you, its not another game that's all about gameplay and the story is a side game. I felt like I was playing a movie. The characters are great, what some people have said is that they needed more faces to the voices, a face for Fink a face for Booker because we play it we feel like its a movie nd we want to c the faces behind the voices with the emotions being formed in their faces. Only complaint but it doesn't take away from the beautiful city in the sky, the music that creates the atmosphere, its brilliant. This is what new gen games should be like. This is what dishonoured wishes it was. Expand
  76. Jun 27, 2013
    Artistic and action-packed throughout. It diverges from the original Bioshock formula, but still makes it somewhat familiar. Couple that with an amazing story. What else do you want?
  77. Mar 26, 2013
    It's not often I give a perfect score, but this game earns it. You're pulled into an atmospheric world that brims with life and festivities. Most everyone you encounter has something to say and has an aura to them. It's a game you need to take slow to enjoy every aspect of, there's beauty and depth throughout the entire game. The narrative is extraordinary, the character you play asIt's not often I give a perfect score, but this game earns it. You're pulled into an atmospheric world that brims with life and festivities. Most everyone you encounter has something to say and has an aura to them. It's a game you need to take slow to enjoy every aspect of, there's beauty and depth throughout the entire game. The narrative is extraordinary, the character you play as (Booker DeWitt) story unfolds through the progression of the game, you always feel there's something more to him. But the character that you come to rescue (Elizabeth) drives the story more than anything and gains your affection and care. Comstock serves as a great villain and the world of Columbia is like none other. While Infinite undoubtedly feels like a Bioshock game, combat has been balanced and flows fluently through playtime. The most miraculous things in this game are just pit stops or novelties, discussions heard abroad or a barbershop quartet singing singing a Beach Boys song as they float aloft. Infinite flips between story, and action at a great rate and fuses the two well, for near perfect progression. The game is flawless and will stand as a marvel in video game history. The ending will be something discussed for a long time in the future, you're doing a disservice to yourself if you don't get this game, it's one of the best I've ever played. Expand
  78. Apr 26, 2013
    An engaging experience that must not be missed. The games still feels very "Bioshock" like while doing some things better. Not perfect, but no game is.
  79. Dec 10, 2014
    Finally getting my grubby hands on the "third" installment to the Bioshock franchise, Infinite indefinitely, almost undeniably is yet another wonderful success of the "flawed utopia falling into utter chaos by almost romantic, religious idealisms" perspectives that worked so well for Bioshock but not so much for Bioshock 2. While some aspects of the gameplay are recycled, and othersFinally getting my grubby hands on the "third" installment to the Bioshock franchise, Infinite indefinitely, almost undeniably is yet another wonderful success of the "flawed utopia falling into utter chaos by almost romantic, religious idealisms" perspectives that worked so well for Bioshock but not so much for Bioshock 2. While some aspects of the gameplay are recycled, and others somewhat questionable, such as having shields and only being able to equip 2 weapons any time, Bioshock Infinite still nevertheless is a relic of gaming at it's most highest peaks. With a protagonist that can be cynical but isn't "everything is gray and dull, bleh" kind of personality, but of one with earnest introspection of the things around him apart from Jack Ryan's usually silent, dismissive perspective of everything. Maybe I will have a discussion about silent protagonists in detail, but having a silent protagonist for the sake of the player getting more into the game doesn't always intertwine neatly, as I felt more intertwined to Booker DeWitt moreso than Jack Ryan, because of his previous exploits and how my own choices could change the course of the future. Although perhaps the biggest complaint with this game is how the choices actually don't result in different endings, as the "Tear" and "Space-Time Continuum" concepts opened up a plethora of possibilities. Vigors and Salts essentially name-swap Plasmids and EVE, with only 8 particular 'vigors' to use, possibility simplified to make each one much more effective, which they are. As for weapons, you can fortunately scrounge for ammo for weapons you don't currently have, so if you pick up a new Carbine, it won't just have the clip that was currently in it. As for difficulty, well, it wasn't difficult at all at Normal. I didn't die once, and only came close to dying Twice, and dying is just as inconsequential as in Bioshock since Elizabeth, your companion throughout most of this game will revive you at the small cost of some money. As for Elizabeth, Elizabeth will go down as one of the most positive female role models in gaming history since that one woman from Beyond Good and Evil and more recently of Bayonetta, even despite her gaudy and energetic attitudes. Elizabeth will be extremely helpful and shows that a escort gameplay can actually work without frustrating the player, as Elizabeth will never be directly attacked by enemies (even though you would think so considering how important she is to Columbia), but often her giving of items to you also subverts alot of the difficulty already, as most grunts can be taken down with the Carbine, essentially the most effective weapon that I used throughout. Not to mention her giving of items can be exploited if you decide to "vend" items at a shop without buying anything, but nevertheless, her sponge like absorption of the environment and her dialogues with Booker are endearing and thought provoking, adding more to how alive and realized Columbia is, even considering that the culmination of Vigors doesn't play as much precedence as Plasmids did, since Vigors apparently don't have degenerative side effects even though they work exactly the same AS Plasmids. Also, the Lutece theory of being able to have Columbia float in the air is sort of rushed, as well as the inconsistencies with how Comstock was able to afford all the Masonry and technical work in order for the City to be realized. And while Comstock is a adverse foe in absolute religious indoctrination and racial stereotypes, he isn't as biting as Andrew Ryan, who was actually more human with his rise and fall. As for combat, it is fluid and more fulfilling than Rapture, as Rapture would have you occasionally kill a few splicers here and there, but because of Elizabeth's "deus ex machina" grabs of health, the shield system, and the fact that most grunts can be downed with headshots, the combat can get a little tedious unless you force to play with different weapons and vigors. Vaxophones work sort of like Audio Logs in the same vein, cut down a bit in quantity from Rapture, which would be the reason how certain elements of Columbia's rise are not mentioned. But what this game will definitely get big points for is the ending, as it is heart wrenching, thought provoking, and will be on your mind for quite a while. It still is for me. I never thought that a game from the surface would convince me to buy parts of the DLC without actually advertising it, but how much of a blast this game was, and the concept of "Tears" opens up a cornucopia of possibilities, I'm looking very forward into the future of this idea. This is a treasure to behold for many a year to come. Expand
  80. Apr 10, 2013
    Following its previous titles, Bioshock Infinite entered the gaming realm with extremely high expectations, not to mention its on and off delays plaguing the gaming community as they anxiously awaited this game's arrival.

Fear not, this game more exceeded expectations for all gamers, and very well may have redefined first person shooters as a genre. Not only does it reincorporate its

Not only does it reincorporate its captivating shooter mechanics and genre-based gameplay, its story is comparable to that of a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, and creates deep bonds and passion between yourself, the gamer, as well as Booker Dewitt (the player character) and Elizabeth; and of course, the ending, for which every piece of the puzzle is put perfectly in place, and leaves you with a lasting impression that will not be forgotten.

Game of the Year material for sure.
  81. Aug 2, 2013
    Amazing game. A mind-bending story, dialogue and locations. Graphics are beautiful and stylized to match the surrealist wonder of the game's conceit. Action is fluid and engaging and the music is a clever game of Name That Tune that will make you want to stay for the end credits for the answers. Hours and hours of gameplay in your first run and you'll likely want to play it againAmazing game. A mind-bending story, dialogue and locations. Graphics are beautiful and stylized to match the surrealist wonder of the game's conceit. Action is fluid and engaging and the music is a clever game of Name That Tune that will make you want to stay for the end credits for the answers. Hours and hours of gameplay in your first run and you'll likely want to play it again immediately. Awards have rightfully been won, ignore the trolls. This game is solid gold. Easily the best of 2013 so far. Expand
  82. Mar 26, 2013
    Tight game play, great story with a great cast of believable characters. A few frame rate hiccups here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd recommend this game to the fullest degree. 10/10.
  83. Mar 29, 2013
    Before Infinite, BioShock is probably one of my favorite games. Everything about it was epic, and then, when 2 came out, I enjoyed it, though it could have been vastly better. I have had Infinite pre-ordered since they announced it, and, now, when it finally comes out, it is becoming one of my favorite games of this generation. Everything about it, the art-direction, the AI, the combat,Before Infinite, BioShock is probably one of my favorite games. Everything about it was epic, and then, when 2 came out, I enjoyed it, though it could have been vastly better. I have had Infinite pre-ordered since they announced it, and, now, when it finally comes out, it is becoming one of my favorite games of this generation. Everything about it, the art-direction, the AI, the combat, everything screams "Game of the Year." Even with all the next-gen games coming out this year, I feel that Infinite will still stay my top game of the year. I sat down in the morning after it came out, and played straight into the night, and it was probably the most fun I've had playing a game in years. I highly recommend getting this if you thought the first BioShock was good/great, or even if you're not a fan, because Infinite is probably the most immersive games I've ever played. Expand
  84. Apr 19, 2013
    As a massive fan of the first two Bioshock titles I didn't think this could be any better, boy was I wrong. Everything from the graphics to the game play make this one of the best games...EVER.
  85. Apr 3, 2013
    There are a lot of positives about this game, particularly when compared with the original Bioshock. The new environment is much more appealing; we all prefer to look at sunny skies and bright pastel colours than dark greens and browns in murky subterranean tunnels, right? The skyhook is a novel gameplay mechanism. Combat is more enjoyable thanks to larger areas for the enemies to seekThere are a lot of positives about this game, particularly when compared with the original Bioshock. The new environment is much more appealing; we all prefer to look at sunny skies and bright pastel colours than dark greens and browns in murky subterranean tunnels, right? The skyhook is a novel gameplay mechanism. Combat is more enjoyable thanks to larger areas for the enemies to seek cover in, more vertical battles and tighter controls alongside dual-wielding (vigour weapon).

However, I can't give this game 9 or 10 as others have, because the gameplay simply isn't _fun_ enough.

The skyhook and skyrail while an interesting idea feel extremely limited. If this were an open world where you could use the skyrail to get anywhere you like, that would be fun. Instead you're stuck with very localised skyrail sections that are designed to aid the player for a big battle in that particular area; they help you travel up and down vertical areas, much like an elevator, but that's all. When you've played games like Just Cause 2 with its grapple hook, or Batman: Arkham City which allows you to glide between locations, you become aware of just how "on rails" you really are in Bioshock Infinite.

There are still too few enemy types. The majority of the game sees you deal with 2 enemy types (civilians/militia, bombadiers) with the occasional handyman appearing. Aside from a couple of one-off encounters with unique enemy types, this is the entirety of opposition you'll encounter.

Ken Levine has been bragging about Elizabeth a lot since the game was announced, stating she had incredible AI that took months to develop, and would always add to the experience rather than require your aid/attention.

I find this statement more than a little overbearing, because (i) she is invulnerable, and (ii) no enemies attack her. These very simple changes to the game logic are what enable you to forget about her in battle. Hardly revolutionary.

Her ability to throw you weapons and other items is undoubtedly useful and again an interesting new mechanic in an FPS but again it just doesn't have the "wow" factor the creators intend it to.

The game ending is excellent, and the dialogue between Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth is well written throughout the story.

If you enjoyed the original Bioshock then I would certainly recommend this game. However, if you're looking for sandbox fun, replayability value or exciting new combat mechanics, I'd have to say: don't bother.
  86. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the firstBioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.
  87. Apr 30, 2013
    I found Bioshock Infinite too be great. I loved the atmosphere of Columbia, I liked the visuals and its lighting buoyancy. I felt immersed. It is a beautiful setting but I wished for more missions in daylight Columbia. It just kept getting darker and darker as I progress through the game.
    Gameplay wise, it is good, although quite simple. It was a run and gun shooting game but I still liked the fights. The Sky rails are a good addition. The rails never felt unnecessary and I often use them to defeat enemies. Some people may be disappointed by the fact that you can only bring two guns at a time but I consider them as a way of balancing the game, especially when you are faced with various enemies. The vigors are never overpowering and quite fun too use though I wished for more variety. Enemies are varied enough but I wished that the other mini bosses would have more presence in the game. Elizabeth is a smart AI partner too. A player never has to babysit her, although there a few glitches with her like she would simply be stuck in a wall.

For the plot, I appreciate how Irrational gives a setting that is not common in games but I found the game having too large a scope in the story. The plot never really focused much on Columbia. The plot never really touched on the city's issues like racism, revolution, religious and patriotic extremism. The city and these themes only felt like a backdrop for the game. The plot focuses much on the main characters but forgets Columbia. The plot's ending was the only really interesting part of the story. The story in the middle part felt unnecessary, especially at Fink's factory portion. Nonetheless, the ending was shocking and memorable. However, I think that the ending was not original because I believe there are other sci-fi stories with similar alternating timelines or dimensions kind of story having similar twists.

To sum it all up, the game is just simply wonderful despite some flaws and I recommend this game to everyone.
  88. Apr 14, 2013
    To begin, these are merely opinions and while my opinion will surely differ from other folks, I would like to submit that I completely enjoyed Infinite (having re-played Bioshock 1 & 2 in an effort to set the mood before jumping into Infinite). I cannot point out anything I was unhappy with except that it had to come to an end sometime. Each person will walk away from this game withTo begin, these are merely opinions and while my opinion will surely differ from other folks, I would like to submit that I completely enjoyed Infinite (having re-played Bioshock 1 & 2 in an effort to set the mood before jumping into Infinite). I cannot point out anything I was unhappy with except that it had to come to an end sometime. Each person will walk away from this game with various opinions but it's easy to see from the scores (currently at the time of this comment, 549 Positive vs. 54 Negative) that some folks were perplexed by the subtle innuendos and noxious sarcasm of the story line but that only adds to the experience. Looking back on this, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, God of War, Dishonored and a few others…it’s shaping up to be a great year for games. Expand
  89. Mar 26, 2013
    A masterpiece. It's Bioshock what did you expect? The game is like no other. Highly recommend to fans of any genre. Nothing in this game makes me want to stop playing, this is quality that we haven't seen in games lately.
  90. Apr 4, 2013
    One of the greatest games of our generation. The ending made me just restart the game straight away. Also the connection with Booker and Elizabeth was just phenoenal. Such a great comeback after a shaky sequel Bioshock 2 I would recomend this game to anyone.
  91. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is perfect never had a problem with glitches or bugs, the story is amazing with a perfect ending that no one will guess, and the gameplay is different but feels like Bioshock. The original Bioshock was the Greatest game of all time in my opinion but this is a superior game with a perfect story and top notch gameplay. I currently am on my second play through on hard and am goingThis game is perfect never had a problem with glitches or bugs, the story is amazing with a perfect ending that no one will guess, and the gameplay is different but feels like Bioshock. The original Bioshock was the Greatest game of all time in my opinion but this is a superior game with a perfect story and top notch gameplay. I currently am on my second play through on hard and am going to play on 1999 mode after. Now "would you kindly" buy this game. Expand
  92. Nov 18, 2013
    A good game that i feel is lives up to the Bioshock name, the scenery and storyline are the best parts of the game and are what make it worthwhile playing. The combat on the other hand is nothing special, with less variety than previous Bioshock games it was a bit of a disappointment. Overall though it is well worth playing
  93. Mar 29, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. There are no other ways in which to describe bio shock infinite, the art direction, the attention to detail, the character relationships... Just unreal. Game of the year for me. I just love it that much. I wasn't a big fan of the first bioshock either, but this one really shines for me.
  94. Apr 21, 2013
    (SORRY FOR LANGUAGE) I just don't get how GOOD is BioShock Infinite. First of all, I wouldn't give the game 10 out of 10. A 9.5 would be excellent. About the game, the story is one of the most epic, tragic and dramatic I've ever seen and experienced. It never got down but some of the gameplay mechanics turned it kinda tedious. The only problems of the game were that at the nearly end the(SORRY FOR LANGUAGE) I just don't get how GOOD is BioShock Infinite. First of all, I wouldn't give the game 10 out of 10. A 9.5 would be excellent. About the game, the story is one of the most epic, tragic and dramatic I've ever seen and experienced. It never got down but some of the gameplay mechanics turned it kinda tedious. The only problems of the game were that at the nearly end the gameplay was turning repetitive, and that was a bit disappointing. Great visuals and you may have fun hearing covers from famous songs of all time and some references to many movies and TV shows. Also, Elizabeth is one of the best video game characters ever. Her personality, although not the coolest, it will convince you. But her relationship with Booker can become sometimes cold and weird.
    I don't know how does the PC version of the game runs, but this one sometimes has a lower FPS and textures that remind me the Nintendo 64.
    Overall, BioShock Infinite is a video game that puts the industry near from a new form of art, instead of a money-machine.
  95. Mar 26, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't play BIoshock 1 or Bioshock 2, the game is awesome! The vivid world called Columbia is an environment I haven't quite ever seen in a game! The game reminds me a lot of Skyrim how you can use magic or perks that just massacre your enemies. I'm 3 hours in and the story is solid as well. Has a huge religious undertone to it. So far I'd recommend this game, it'sComing from someone who didn't play BIoshock 1 or Bioshock 2, the game is awesome! The vivid world called Columbia is an environment I haven't quite ever seen in a game! The game reminds me a lot of Skyrim how you can use magic or perks that just massacre your enemies. I'm 3 hours in and the story is solid as well. Has a huge religious undertone to it. So far I'd recommend this game, it's awesome!!! Expand
  96. Apr 22, 2013
    This is an excellent swan song for the 360. This beautiful well made game has been the beautiful story driven game I've been waiting (way too long) for. The use of weapons and plasmids, sorry vigors is just as fun and flexible as in the Rapture based games. It took everything we loved from the first game and transplanted them into this new venue. Now I don't feel that it surpassed theThis is an excellent swan song for the 360. This beautiful well made game has been the beautiful story driven game I've been waiting (way too long) for. The use of weapons and plasmids, sorry vigors is just as fun and flexible as in the Rapture based games. It took everything we loved from the first game and transplanted them into this new venue. Now I don't feel that it surpassed the original (except in graphics) It did a great job with gameplay and storytelling but I don't think it really kicked it up a notch. Thats not a complaint, keeping the franchise on par with the original is a huge job which they did well. The addition of the skyhook was fun, allowing you to travel quickly above and below enemies giving fights more depth. The best addition is hands down Elizabeth. Having a companion who not only didn't need babysitting but actually helped YOU out during fights is an awesome feat which many games struggle with. It more than the new locale is what really made this feel like it was worth the wait. The only quibble I was left with was the fact that the story while interesting did not draw me in like Rapture did the first time. I know that judging it by its predecessor is not totally fair but it is what I kept thinking. And yes there is a twist at the end which I did not see coming and I was tying my brain in knots trying to predict what it would be. Bottom line is definitely buy it. It is a fun game with an engaging story, even if it did not surpass my high expectations it was still very good. Expand
  97. Mar 28, 2013
    Simply the best game I've ever bought! (I own just about every 1st/3rd person shooter on the market). There really isn't anything to compare with it except maybe Half-Life 2 or the previous Bioshock games. It keeps the fun 2 handed fighting of the original bioshocks (ie. plasma's or vigors as they are now called in the left hand). It lets you fight with the weapons you like best,Simply the best game I've ever bought! (I own just about every 1st/3rd person shooter on the market). There really isn't anything to compare with it except maybe Half-Life 2 or the previous Bioshock games. It keeps the fun 2 handed fighting of the original bioshocks (ie. plasma's or vigors as they are now called in the left hand). It lets you fight with the weapons you like best, upgrading them throughout the game. I downloaded the main song since it's the 2nd best theme track I've also ever heard (Battlefield: Bad Company being the best.) I already know that once I've finished the game, I'll be playing it again. (I'm only about 1/3 way through so far and like a great movie, you want to watch it again and again to enjoy all the details you may have missed the first time.) It's a game that I'll remember for a long time since there are so many awe-shocking scenes. I bought the Turtle Beach PX51 headset just for this game and the sounds/creepy music simply blow me away. I would recommend buying the $20 guide book which is impressive in itself. I can truly say that this game was well worth the $60. If you're not a Bioshock fan, you'll still enjoy the variety of characters, weapons, and outlandlish story with this game. It's an adventure/world that you'll remember for a long, long, long time regardless of how many games you've played. There simply isn't anything like it. I'm not sure if it has any multi-player capabilities yet but I really don't care. This is a game that is best enjoyed by playing the single-player (just you and Elizabeth). Seriously, get this game!! Expand
  98. Apr 8, 2013

I was surprised to be excited for Bioshock Infinite. When the original Bioshock came out in 2007 it had universal praise, I bought the game day one and hated it. I was one of the few people who didn’t think it was a work of genius. I liked the story, the world and the graphics just the gameplay didn't connect with me. Fast forward to mid 2010 and against my better judgement I picked up Bioshock 2. I instantly loved it. I don’t know if it was the refinements like the plasmid/weapon combo or if the overall game felt better but I really enjoyed it. Finally in 2012 I replayed the original Bioshock, I finally saw the great game that had eluded me for five years.

Story: This is where this series shines. A sort of prequel to Bioshock 1 and 2, the premise of Infinite takes place in a floating city called Columbia in 1912. Columbia is the antithesis of Rapture, it’s bright and open and instead of being created to escape political and religious persecution it was designed to be like “Eden” from the bible. The ruler of Columbia is “The Prophet” Zachary Comstock, he rules with an iron fist and preaches all kinds of religious nonsense.

The main character Booker has been tasked with going to Columbia and getting a girl named Elizabeth out. He is promised this will wipe away gambling debts he has been accruing.
    Elizabeth is really the star of the game, she is a mysterious girl who can open “tears” which are essential doorways into other dimensions. She is with you most of the game and is never a burden, she picks locks for Booker and during combat with give ammo and health. This was an issue for be because it made the game easy and there is almost no penalty for dying. Playing through the game and learning more about her was interesting.

It’s very hard to talk about the narrative without giving spoilers, I’ll just say that the ending is one of the best endings I have seen in entertainment, not games, entertainment. People will be talking about this end for years to come.

Gameplay: The gameplay will be familiar to fans of Bioshock 2. There are now vigors instead of Plasmids, they work very similarly with a new option, if the user holds down the vigors button you can create a trap with them. In bigger fights this can be a real life saver. It will also be essential when playing on the harder difficulty.

The shooting mechanic is still great, Not the best but good. One beef I have with the shooting is that the aiming down the sights is handled by a click of R3, I have never found this intuitive in games and it leads me to shoot wildly as opposed to aiming. I feel that the shooting of the game would benefit from a different control setup. Also new is the sky lines, Booker has a special tool on his arm (That makes some memorable and gruesome melee kills) that can hook onto Columbia’s sky line system. The sky lines are an integral part of a lot of major set piece fights. Using the sky lines allows a lot of variety in the fighting. There is also combat options while using the lines, you can shoot and if you time it right can do a jumping melee that is a very powerful attack.

Bioshock Infinite has done away with health packs and instead uses a shield system that is very similar to the Halo series. Throughout the game the player can find bottles to increase their health, vigor or shields. That's not all to find in Columbia, searching every nook and cranny will yield money, items and voxophones. Voxophones are the audio logs to find in the game, they are interesting to listen to and shed some extra light on the world and story.

I did have a few issues with the game, in many ways it felt stripped down to me, there was no camera to gain advantages on enemies and the variety and number of enemies wasn't enough. I never found fighting the people in Columbia to be as memorable as fighting the unpredictable splicers from the previous games. Guns and Vigors are upgradable but the upgrade system just didn't have the impact on me, the guns look the same, even when upgraded they don’t receive any visual distinctions. Only two guns can be carried at any time now ala Halo. Overall I just felt more constricted in this game compared to previous entries in the series.

Graphics: Columbia is designed beautifully, the landscapes are colourful and world feels alive. Graphically speaking this could not be further from Rapture, and that's a great thing.The art design is unique without being eccentric. Some of the vigor animations look really great. The actual quality of the graphics is a bit of a mixed bag, some animations look a little stiff and the people in the game are certainly not the best I have seen.

Overall: I am happy to say that Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game, it uses clever storytelling and a compelling world to hook players in and make them enjoy the journey. Save for a few minor nitpicks with the game play I can honestly say this has been my favourite game of 2013.

99. May 21, 2013
    A lot of thought and hard work really went into this one. The music, gameplay, AI, and story are very meticulously crafted to the point where it flows almost seamlessly. The game even does the unthinkable and makes a reality-warp based story fairly sensical and without too many plotholes. At its heart, its an FPS sure... but it stands above and beyond the rest. In terms of fun, I'm notA lot of thought and hard work really went into this one. The music, gameplay, AI, and story are very meticulously crafted to the point where it flows almost seamlessly. The game even does the unthinkable and makes a reality-warp based story fairly sensical and without too many plotholes. At its heart, its an FPS sure... but it stands above and beyond the rest. In terms of fun, I'm not sure it deserves a 10/10 from me as I like strategy games and horror games a bit more.

The gameplay is a lot better than most people give it credit for but the difficulty gaps between heavy enemies and regular enemies is a bit jarring. Plus it gets very repetitive, enter room kill hostile wave, prepare for next hostile wave. It makes for some parts of the game feeling like a chore to complete.

But the story is unbelievable and like nothing I've seen so I can't give this game anything less than a 9.
  100. Jun 8, 2013
    All I need to say is, as of this writing, 805 users think this is a great game. I concur, and there's a near 90% chance you will to... if the user ratings are any judge.

In all honesty, this is one of the most visually stunning games to grace the Xbox 360. Audio is superb with a soundtrack so beautiful that it's been playing on my iTunes on repeat for the past few months now. Voice acting is equally excellent, though I am NOT listening to it on iTunes... Gameplay is what you've come to expect from Bioshock although you're only able to carry 2 weapons at a time and have 2 abilities mapped at a time which takes a little of the OP feel that I enjoyed from the first Bioshock away from the game when you get toward then end. This winds up being irrelevant however, mostly because of how outstanding every other aspect of this game is. Simply put, stop reading my review and go play this game if you haven't already... and play it again if you have. Bring them the girl... wipe away the debt!
  101. Apr 4, 2013

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.