Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War Xbox 360

6.4

1. Feb 6, 2014
    This was the first game I got on my 360 and boy did I give it a belting, I remember playing dynasty warriors for the first time and very rapidly becoming bored, this game rather than putting you in that same button mashing hero position in stead puts you in charge of the soldiers around you in a more strategic way.

In the end graphics aren't great, the gameplay gets repetitive but is

In the end graphics aren't great, the gameplay gets repetitive but is helped by the constant influx of new unit types, the story is pretty terrible and very slow to progress, the "strategy" side of the game requires very little strategy and the horses and elephants are massively overpowered. But all those negatives aside this game was so entertaining and so different that I just kept coming back.
  2. Joshua
    Oct 9, 2007
    Based on demo:

Based on demo:

As a jaded fan of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", "Dynasty Warriors", and "Kessen" I wasn't too pumped to play "Bladestorm". I downloaded the demo while waiting for "Heroes" to come on and ended up missing "Heroes" and staying up past bedtime playing the demo. "Blade storm" is a breath of fresh air - gone is the button mashing. Instead of being a super warrior you need your troops to win combats. Command is straight forward and easy to pick up but more enjoyable once a little finesse and experience is applied - i.e. breaking a cavalry charge with a well timed broadsword swing. Of course there's the Koei micromanagment of troops and all that good stuff as well. The graphics are nice, what a Koei game should look like on the latest gen. It's really impressive to see large units of troops in combat with no lag or ugliness. I'm looking forward to picking this up.
  3. MattN.
    Jan 19, 2008
    I don't know why this game hasn't got many good reviews. Personally, i think it's brilliant. Sure, sometimes the people you are fighting are dumb, such as not realising you're there until they're dead but it is still Very addictive.
  4. Sep 4, 2010
    These Koei games (the others being the Warriors franchises) cater to a specific audience. I rate this game about 7/10 as an overall game, however it gets a solid 10/10 for this tiny genre. The best of the Warriors style games out there, it has strong RPG style elements, allows for more upgrading, more tactics, more mission control, and more intelligent AI than any other game in the genre.These Koei games (the others being the Warriors franchises) cater to a specific audience. I rate this game about 7/10 as an overall game, however it gets a solid 10/10 for this tiny genre. The best of the Warriors style games out there, it has strong RPG style elements, allows for more upgrading, more tactics, more mission control, and more intelligent AI than any other game in the genre. For that reason, I lean towards the higher end of the scores. Expand
  5. Apr 13, 2017
    Plutôt rares (pour ne pas dire inexistants) les jeux japonais qui proposent une VF, d'autant qu'elle est convaincante. Dommage alors de ne pas pouvoir enlever les sous-titres (français) imposés...

Graphiquement c'est presque correct pour un jeu de 2007 (si on reste résistant à l'aliasing) et contrairement aux jeux Koei habituels, on ne dirige pas des samouraïs mais des Anglais ou des Français du temps de la Guerre de cent ans et une dimension "stratégie temps réel" est bel et bien présente.

Evidemment, rien à voir avec ce qu'on peut attendre d'un STR : c'est limité et d'une approche très arcade avec des jauges qui se remplissent comme dans un jeu de baston à la con. Aucun réalisme non plus à attendre, on est pas dans un Total War mais dans une japoniaiserie typique avec une mise en scène niaise et une interface aussi vilaine que détestable. Le mauvais goût ne nous est donc pas épargné, hélas, ni le caractère très répétitif des batailles qui entraînent rapidement un grand ennui.

1. Official Xbox Magazine
    Bladestorm looks and plays better than "Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires", so longtime fans should enjoy this more next-gen DW-style title until "Dynasty Warriors 6" hits the battlefield next year. [Dec 2007, p.76]
  2. A very, very good videogame: another brilliant evolution of Koei's unique interpretation of the real-time strategy genre, and every bit as satisfying as previous efforts. What it lacks in terms of the speed and immediacy of, say, Gundam Musou, it makes up for with strategic range, design ingenuity, and conceptual novelty. [JPN Import]
  3. Play Magazine
    Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War allows players to win most, if not all, of its battles solely by holding down the right bumper button on the Xbox 360 controller. [Nov 2007, p.73]