Borderlands 2 Xbox 360

8.3

1. DME
    May 26, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is a beautiful, content-filled game, with plenty of intelligent design decisions, interesting characters, and a lot of variety. I normally don't like RPGs (Skyrim included) due to their extreme complexity and overwhelming amount of stuff. Borderlands 2, however, somehow manages to be just as complex without ever being overwhelming. And of course, the game is just plainBorderlands 2 is a beautiful, content-filled game, with plenty of intelligent design decisions, interesting characters, and a lot of variety. I normally don't like RPGs (Skyrim included) due to their extreme complexity and overwhelming amount of stuff. Borderlands 2, however, somehow manages to be just as complex without ever being overwhelming. And of course, the game is just plain FUN. You can tell that the developers put a lot of thought and care into the making of the game.

(Disclaimer: I have never played the original Borderlands, so I can't compare the two games. Also, keep in mind, everybody will have a different experience depending on who they play with. Online play with randoms seems disastrous and solo play feels lonely and limited. I played through the game in offline splitscreen mode with a buddy. We only played with each other and neither of us ever played without the other. I do believe this was the best way to experience the game.)
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Overall, this game is a reboot of Borderlands 1 with some gameplay tweaks to make the game harder and the Vault Hunters more vulnerable. With its focus on being a "badass," Borderlands 2 lost the charm that the original Borderlands had. Perhaps this is the way of catering to the next generation. The addition of Crawmerax-style bosses after the fight was nice. But the inclusion ofOverall, this game is a reboot of Borderlands 1 with some gameplay tweaks to make the game harder and the Vault Hunters more vulnerable. With its focus on being a "badass," Borderlands 2 lost the charm that the original Borderlands had. Perhaps this is the way of catering to the next generation. The addition of Crawmerax-style bosses after the fight was nice. But the inclusion of hundreds of other vaults kind of sucked the wind out of the game, and the DLCs so far haven't helped any. Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    I've been really astounded by how much the devs of this title have been able to blend shooter elements and RPG elements, overall making it an RPG. The idea is stunning and the game turns out to be stunning as well.
  4. Sep 19, 2012
    The first question people will likely ask is, "Does this game live up to BL1 and DLC?" and that answer is a resounding "Yes!" The second question, "Is it better than BL1?" and the answer is "Yes...for the most part." So what's improved? Better gun mechanics (sound and feel), more humor, more frequent boss and sub-boss battles, easier to get a co-op game going and see who's online playing,The first question people will likely ask is, "Does this game live up to BL1 and DLC?" and that answer is a resounding "Yes!" The second question, "Is it better than BL1?" and the answer is "Yes...for the most part." So what's improved? Better gun mechanics (sound and feel), more humor, more frequent boss and sub-boss battles, easier to get a co-op game going and see who's online playing, character skill trees are improved, friends can select quests in co-op games rather than having to tell the "party leader" to do it, the new enemies are well designed, you can now dismember baddies, you can now tag items in your inventory as "trash" or "favorite" so you remember what to sell next time at the vending machine, you can now directly trade with people, you automatically pick up money and ammo (but thankfully not loot) and combat is more organic (enemies take cover, flank you, dodge attacks).

So what's the negatives? The new menus are clunky and difficult to parse, missions still consist of mostly "shoot that" or "find this," driving mechanics are about the same (though thankfully you don't take damage from hitting enemies as much), level design can be really confusing at times even with the new HUD mini map and sometimes there's simply too much dialogue happening simultaneously. For example if you're playing co-op the first big town you get to is a total cluster as multiple characters are introducing themselves cutting off the others dialogue. I find myself saying, "what is going on?" much more regularly during this game than BL1. That said, these are only minor complaints and the additions far outweigh the handful of small issues. In short, if you loved the first BL stop reading this review and go pick up the sequel!.
  5. Sep 24, 2012
    Game is great, it has really sucked me in. Wasn't so thrilled with the tutorial part at the beginning as it really has a super slow pace. I hope it is skippable on my second play through as I would hate to have to repeat it. Overall I'm really pleased with the game.
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    I didn't play the first one but that's okay because this game rules. That's a well spent 65 bucks right here. Fun, funny, enjoyable, thrilling and awe-inspiring. Yeah, man
  7. Oct 22, 2012
    Love this game in all aspects. Great Story,Sound, Graphics and Game-play. Must own for any Borderlands, BioSchock or end of the world fans. Looking forward to all additional DLC. 10/10
  8. Sep 19, 2012
    I loved Borderlands 1 and spent at least 150 hours playing it, mainly single player and some recently with friends. So this review is through those eyes. This game is everything Borderlands was plus more. The world is detailed and the NPC interaction and movement is way better really giving life to the world and story. I have seen a lot more creative quests than in the first one and eachI loved Borderlands 1 and spent at least 150 hours playing it, mainly single player and some recently with friends. So this review is through those eyes. This game is everything Borderlands was plus more. The world is detailed and the NPC interaction and movement is way better really giving life to the world and story. I have seen a lot more creative quests than in the first one and each gun manufacturer and type feel a lot different.. The writing is funny and even the enemy movement is funny and awesome. I cannot help but smile while I am playing it because it is so much fun, I cannot wait to dump 200+ hours in this game in single player and with friends. If you want to knitpick about graphic popins and crap you can probably find things but this is a world to be explored, loot to be tried and sold and hilarity around every corner, There is no perfect game but this one is well worth the $60 over and over and easily my most favorite game ever. so screw you it is a 10! Expand
  9. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, I enjoyed Borderlands 1 but number 2 is a giant leap ahead. Great story and awesome game play. I don't understand the negative comments. Nothing wrong with this game!
  10. Nov 11, 2012
    I'm impressed. BL2 is everything BL1 was and more. An even bigger variety of weapons and plenty of laughs. There's virtually nothing that hasn't been improved upon from an already entertaining game. The only downside I would say, and this is just my opinion, is no longer being able to pop a target's limbs off. I had hoped turning on the gore would cure that. But alas, it did not. PerhapsI'm impressed. BL2 is everything BL1 was and more. An even bigger variety of weapons and plenty of laughs. There's virtually nothing that hasn't been improved upon from an already entertaining game. The only downside I would say, and this is just my opinion, is no longer being able to pop a target's limbs off. I had hoped turning on the gore would cure that. But alas, it did not. Perhaps the purpose for that is future DLC/$. But there's a satisfying level of sadism when you take an enemy down with any of the elements be it from a weapon or an exploding barrel.. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2012
    Definitely the best gaming experience to come out so far in 2012. Many improvements over the previous game, and runs beautifully. I highly recommend this game.
  12. Sep 19, 2012
    Borderlands 2 Is totally a game of the year contender.This game has so many improvemennts over the first Bordlands,with it's Awesome graphics,story and lets not forget the Funny adult Humor that the series is known for.also the amount of weapons in Borderlands 2 is mind blowing.Borderlands 2 is awesome just like the first Borderlands was as well.A must buy.this Game get's a perfect 10 from me.
  13. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game. Took everything that was strong in the first game and refined areas that needed improvement. It's a beautiful game too. The graphics are beautiful. I don't know what this type of animation is but it looks good. Great color. The sound design is great. Story. Weapons. Levelling up. I think you have to understand that its not a super linear, you have to go this way now, now youGreat game. Took everything that was strong in the first game and refined areas that needed improvement. It's a beautiful game too. The graphics are beautiful. I don't know what this type of animation is but it looks good. Great color. The sound design is great. Story. Weapons. Levelling up. I think you have to understand that its not a super linear, you have to go this way now, now you have to go that way, you cant go back there because you've already been there type game. It's open world demands some exploration. You're always looking for cash and "loot" (ammo, grenades, more weapons, shields, etc). That can feel slow, kind of like RPG's can be sometimes. It's a solid, polished, massive game. Too many positive things to list. Out of a hundred games there are usually only a few that are the "stand outs" this is one of them. I've read some critiques that suggest it's too much like the last game. I guess they should have skipped this one and waited for the "next" Call of Duty, because those are always different from its predecessor right? I'm enjoying the game, I think you will to. Expand
  14. Sep 24, 2012
    A gaming masterpiece. It's everything you could want in a video game, without spreading itself too thin. While it isn't absolutely perfect, Borderlands 2 exceeds any standard that could be set for a video game. It has a good story with highly memorable characters, including one that so few games get right: a believable antagonist. Great graphical style and visual effects (especially on theA gaming masterpiece. It's everything you could want in a video game, without spreading itself too thin. While it isn't absolutely perfect, Borderlands 2 exceeds any standard that could be set for a video game. It has a good story with highly memorable characters, including one that so few games get right: a believable antagonist. Great graphical style and visual effects (especially on the PC), insanely entertaining, maximum replayability, and absolutely hilarious. Let's list all the pros and cons. ** Pros **
    ++ Good story
    ++ Motivated protagonists and antagonist
    ++ Never have an identical experience
    ++ Awesome graphics
    ++ Liquid-smooth gameplay
    ++ 25-plus hours of play for the first playthrough (and there is a second one that takes longer)
    ++ Varied missions
    ++ Most hilarious video game of this console generation
    ++ Over twenty million guns - well over, I believe
    ++ One of the best co-op games ever made
    ++ Highly moddable for those familiar with .ini files (PC only) ** Cons **
    -- Under-utilized vehicle system
    -- Odd inventory interface (PC only)
    -- The difficulty of missions is not indicated clearly (some are unreasonably difficult even when the quest tracker says "difficulty: normal")
  15. Sep 18, 2012
    Brilliant!Far superior in every way than its predecessor,though vehicles remain under utilised.The narrative is so much better this time around that I rarely felt lonesome during solo play.The writing is superb and consistently laugh out loud funny and even occasionally surprisingly touching.Whilst the games major claim to fame is the millions(sorry,Bazillions) of guns,once again 99% areBrilliant!Far superior in every way than its predecessor,though vehicles remain under utilised.The narrative is so much better this time around that I rarely felt lonesome during solo play.The writing is superb and consistently laugh out loud funny and even occasionally surprisingly touching.Whilst the games major claim to fame is the millions(sorry,Bazillions) of guns,once again 99% are useless,which is unfortunately expected and necessary in this type of looter,so I can't complain there.It also makes that one great weapon find so so excellent...The four(soon to be five) classes with their various skins and Abilities are great,though ZerO and Axton are much better for solo play,but that could well be because of my particular playstyle.Nevertheless,especially since its it been a quiet year for decent games,this is a must have title. Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2012
    Bigger, better and way more bad ass. That has been said before regarding sequels to other games, but it has never been more true than with Borderlands 2. The tweaks to the classes may throw some people off at first, but give the new characters a little time to get to know them and you'll find pure gold. The game seems more balanced overall, with tougher, smarter enemies and the need toBigger, better and way more bad ass. That has been said before regarding sequels to other games, but it has never been more true than with Borderlands 2. The tweaks to the classes may throw some people off at first, but give the new characters a little time to get to know them and you'll find pure gold. The game seems more balanced overall, with tougher, smarter enemies and the need to utilize each characters strengths to ensure success. If you played Borderlands and even liked it a little bit, you should be playing Borderlands 2 right now. Thank you Gearbox for another gem. I wish there were more developers like you guys that put this much thought, love and attention to detail into co-op games. Borderlands 2 is easily among the front-runners for game of the year - and one of the best co-op games in recent memory. Expand
  17. Oct 30, 2012
    I have played many hours of this game and can honestly say it is fantastic!!! After all this time since playing Borderlands I forgot just how awesome it was until I played this fantastic upgrade from the original. This game is hilarious and the game play is still fantastic. If this game didn't seem like a complete copy of the original I'd give it a perfect 10.
  18. Nov 7, 2012
    Only one of the masterpieces of this console generation! While other game developers fall all over themselves trying to ape Call of Duty, Gearbox has perfected the cooperative experience and makes teaming up with your friends to fight the machine an addictive and endlessly gratifying experience.
  19. Oct 3, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is an amazing game. The writing is so much better than the first one. The only down side I can see of this game is you need to play with your friends, because if you don't the game becomes a, 'go here kill this guy, collect these things bring them back, here is a gun that's not as good as the one that just dropped from that guy, repeat', with your friends Borderlands 2Borderlands 2 is an amazing game. The writing is so much better than the first one. The only down side I can see of this game is you need to play with your friends, because if you don't the game becomes a, 'go here kill this guy, collect these things bring them back, here is a gun that's not as good as the one that just dropped from that guy, repeat', with your friends Borderlands 2 explodes into craziness. With more people playing the enemies become harder and more abundant and with more enemies that are difficult comes better loot drops. Plus there is nothing like trying to shoot a marauder that is hiding behind a barricade and your buddy the siren uses phaselocks him out of cover for you so you can get that critical head-shot. Also Tiny Tina is an awesome character go find her and do all of her quests. Expand
  20. Oct 11, 2012
    Bad.Ass.

Bad.Ass.

There isn't much more to be said here. This was my first borderlands game. This game had me hooked from start to end, and then sunk me back in the new game + mode. Utterly brilliant design, simplistic yet with deep RPG mechanics blended in a FPS environment and an amazing artistic style, and let's not forget the best part .. the humor !!! So so funny, every character has so much personality. Can't wait for the DLC and any future games.
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a late arrival to the original Borderlands, so my wait for the sequel wasn't quite as long as others, but I must say that I truly enjoyed this game. The comic book/graphic novel style has been completely ramped up in the sequel, and not to a point where it's distracting. A huge world with great variation of each. The addition of new characters, as well as a look at how their time on Pandora has affected the others, were both handled with great care. The controls were quite a bit smoother than the previous iteration, leading to much more fluid gameplay. The humour of BL2 eclipses that of the original, with points where I actually laughed out loud. Having cleared the game, and now replaying through with my brother, I am anticipating the jokes and the entire story again. A much more extensive story, where you don't feel a huge build-up to very little climax (which I found with BL1). There were multiple times where I was thinking I was done, only to see a new chapter opening. Having played with three characters now (Zer0, Axton, & Gaige), there is a noticeable difference between character ability (eg; Mechromancer's sniper skill pales in comparison to that of Zer0) My only complaints about the game would come by way of the little things. There were many parts of the worlds where it looked like you could get behind something, jump up a rock, etc, and there was the invisible wall that stopped you. Only really annoying when trying to achieve challenges, looking for vault symbols, etc. Also, another annoyance, carried over from the original, was the items that disappeared into the ground, where you had to be at the exactly perfect angle in order to pick it up. Although the pickups were generally easier, that polish was the only thing that kept me from giving this game a 10!

Happy hunting!
  22. Jan 19, 2013
    On the surface not much seems to have changed since the original Borderlands. Play this sequel for any length of time however and it soon proves itself to be a superior game. Both the story and script are just that bit sharper and often genuinely funny, the skill system has been expanded (Including a new 'badass rank' which rewards the player with boosts to their stats for completingOn the surface not much seems to have changed since the original Borderlands. Play this sequel for any length of time however and it soon proves itself to be a superior game. Both the story and script are just that bit sharper and often genuinely funny, the skill system has been expanded (Including a new 'badass rank' which rewards the player with boosts to their stats for completing certain challenges) and there are fewer missions that are nothing but glorified fetch quests.

All this and a host of other minor tweaks meant that, while I bored of the first title before seeing it to the end, there was never any danger of me stopping before I saw Borderlands 2 through to its finale. This is co-op gaming at its very best.
  23. Oct 9, 2012
    Worth the wait - better than the first one, and I can't put this game down. If you like loot-based games (who doesn't) and Diablo 3 was a disappointment to you (it probably was) this is your huckleberry
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    Finally a game this year actually worth spending the time to play. This year has been struggling so far. If you remotely liked the first BL, you will LOVE this one. SO FUNNY and addicting.... even my wife is laughing because of the dialogue and she hates watching me play.
  25. Jan 7, 2015
    This is how every sequel should be. 2009's Borderlands proved that originality isn't dead just yet by splicing two videogaming staples together, the RPG and the FPS. The end result was an absorbing adventure which especially shone in co-op with friends. Borderlands 2 quite simply ditches everything from the first game that didn't work while retaining everything that did and cranking it upThis is how every sequel should be. 2009's Borderlands proved that originality isn't dead just yet by splicing two videogaming staples together, the RPG and the FPS. The end result was an absorbing adventure which especially shone in co-op with friends. Borderlands 2 quite simply ditches everything from the first game that didn't work while retaining everything that did and cranking it up to 61.

How do I love Borderlands 2? Let me count the ways. Firstly, apart obviously from its predecessor, the game is unlike anything else out there. It blows my mind that no other company has even attempted to rip off the Borderlands formula in the past four years. Next, looting. I love to collect loot. I'm obsessive compulsive about finding a gun with a tenth of a second faster reload time, or with 1 extra bullet in the clip, or a shield with a couple of thousand extra damage in its nova, or a class mod with slightly quicker health regen. Only in special games would you care about such things, but Borderlands 2 makes you care. In this respect the game shares much in common with #9 on my list.

Every time I levelled up I was rushing to the skill trees to see what exciting new unique abilities I could upgrade my character with. The depth of customisation by the end-game is immense, with the right investments you can really configure some staggeringly powerful builds. The game is still being strongly-supported with new characters and campaign DLCs almost a year after its release, with more recently announced to be incoming.

But one element really steals the show - the characters. Seen through the eyes of a brand new batch of vault hunters, the playable cast of the first game, who feature in the second as NPCs, take on an elevated sense of majesty. Claptrap is back and is as tragic and loveable as ever. In addition, Scooter, Moxxi, Dr. Zed and crew are joined by a host of other new Pandora residents, the writing for most of whom is stellar. Tiny Tina just makes the entire game. The icing on the cake is one of the best bad guys to grace the medium - Handsome Jack, equal parts stand-up comedian and evil genius. You will love him one minute and hate him the next, you will laugh and you will cry.

It's wonderful to experience the whole thing online with your friends, coming up with strategies to survive some of the trickier situations (especially on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode), sharing out loot depending on which class everyone is playing, and just enjoying the unfolding story together.

We danced and ate pizza with Claptrap. We played chicken in Ellie's car crusher. We hunted rare varkids in the Caustic Caverns and we helped Tina get revenge on Fleshstick. Best tea party ever.
  26. Dec 1, 2012
    Excellent game. Once again, we get the silly humor and funny characters that we all enjoy. The weapons are given extra types of stats to help build up the variety. The graphics and animations were given some nice improvements. The multiplayer is fun as hell. However, there are still some negatives. The performance was pretty bad for me, and I have a very high-end PC, but I was able to fixExcellent game. Once again, we get the silly humor and funny characters that we all enjoy. The weapons are given extra types of stats to help build up the variety. The graphics and animations were given some nice improvements. The multiplayer is fun as hell. However, there are still some negatives. The performance was pretty bad for me, and I have a very high-end PC, but I was able to fix this by making a quick config file edit. There's also a lot of parts in the game where enemies are painfully spammed and you end up just mindlessly tossing grenades and spraying bullets until you have a chance of survival. Sometimes the enemy spawns get so repetitive that you might just dash back and forth to objectives without fighting because of the boredom of trying to kill every enemy around you. Otherwise, the game is something worthy enough where almost all types of gamers should play it without delay. Expand
  27. Mar 10, 2013
    Easily a 10/10, but with no real feel to travel fast kinda gets lame. Takes along time to level up after like level 3, best villain along with far cry 3, Vas. Love the look, great humor loads of guns, loads of explosives, and a good amount of environments. With a good co-op portion to the game making it harder to play and win. Not a variety of characters to play, or change of your ownEasily a 10/10, but with no real feel to travel fast kinda gets lame. Takes along time to level up after like level 3, best villain along with far cry 3, Vas. Love the look, great humor loads of guns, loads of explosives, and a good amount of environments. With a good co-op portion to the game making it harder to play and win. Not a variety of characters to play, or change of your own style. Game-play is a straight 10, fun same thing, maps lovely 10, story uneven 8 to 9. Guns he-he-he you know the drill. One thing the your not as bad-ass like in the first game overall. After a lot of playing though you'll get your self back to bad-ass. Expand
  28. Dec 27, 2012
    I can't say enough good stuff about this game, but here are a few of the standout items. It's fun to play! The controls are tight, and it's easy to aim/shoot. If you like exploring every twist and turn of an area, looking for hidden goodies or collectibles, you will enjoy this! The colors are vibrant and the graphics are crisp. The missions are engaging and never seem like busy-work. ThereI can't say enough good stuff about this game, but here are a few of the standout items. It's fun to play! The controls are tight, and it's easy to aim/shoot. If you like exploring every twist and turn of an area, looking for hidden goodies or collectibles, you will enjoy this! The colors are vibrant and the graphics are crisp. The missions are engaging and never seem like busy-work. There are a few fetch quests, etc. but they are rare and optional. You can skip side-quests if you want, and just concentrate on the story. Need to level up or at an area that's too tough for you? Jump in a public game, and play a bit with or go do a few side-missions to gain some XP and better guns. The character classes are varied so you should try them all to see which is your favorite. The skill trees make a big difference as well. Once I had enough skill points to fill our a whole tree, it made the character feel completely new! A neat feature is if you beat a "boss" you can revisit the area later, and the boss respawns, rewarding you with big time loot and XP every time you beat him. Not finding rare guns enough? Follow Gearbox on twitter or Facebook as they are giving out "golden keys" which you can use any time to get a level-appropriate rare weapon, shield, etc. Great game, fun to play! Expand
  29. Nov 29, 2012
    Take the original Borderlands, add direction and storyline. This is epic entertainment! Smart, funny and addictive. Tiny Tina alone makes it worth the fee! Take'em, Take'em, Take'em!
  30. Nov 10, 2015
    Diablo with guns, but not with the randomly generated environments. Unlimited loot and the guns are just awesome. It's great to find that ONE gun that's just perfect. This is a must play with all the DLCs. With split screen is a must play
  31. Sep 19, 2012
    If you had any reservations that this sequel would not live up to the predecessor than don't worry ... this game is improved in both game-play/weapons/abilities and also story. Having loved my previous trip to Pandora I was excited to return and this game improves upon what they built last time, one of the best Co-Op games of all time. To play this game by yourself is fun but it also takesIf you had any reservations that this sequel would not live up to the predecessor than don't worry ... this game is improved in both game-play/weapons/abilities and also story. Having loved my previous trip to Pandora I was excited to return and this game improves upon what they built last time, one of the best Co-Op games of all time. To play this game by yourself is fun but it also takes away from the heart and soul of this game which is running around with your friends and looting, exploring and raiding the lands of Pandora. Truly a great game by Gearbox and a AAA franchise up there with the other elite titles out there today. Collapse

1. Nov 10, 2012
    It may be a lot more of the same, but it's prettier, smoother, longer, and filled with more stuff.
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    In the end, I have to say that Borderlands 2 serves as a wonderful example of how to make a sequel work.
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    In conclusion, Borderlands 2 is a significant improvement on the original; it sharpens up the narrative, the core game progression, the visual theme and many other fundamental aspects that needed adjustment.