8.4

1. Aug 29, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time and really tired to make a great game, not necessarily a game that would make them an insane amount of money. The only places Modern Warfare is lacking are the length of the campaign and the multiplayer. Although it is a lot of fun to play this game with your buddies, there are very few options to make the multiplayer interesting. There are something like 10 multiplayer maps, 10 or so preset "classes" of warrior, and very few game types. I just wish it would've been upgraded with a few more options. All that said, this game is definitely worth the time, and the story alone is worth the money. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2010
    Call of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playing today and will continue to for many years to come. With a crap load of weapons including some of the best snipers in COD history. Multiplayer maps were so good that they brought 4 of them into the sequel. Modern warfare gets a 10 out of 10.

Review9
  3. Aug 29, 2010
    Call of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into and it will never get old. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than a few interesting choke points and mission modes that keep it varied. I'm not sure what the negative reviews for this game are going for -- this game was nothing short of a multiplayer revolution. Finally a game that mixes realism, twitch FPS gaming, and an engaging leveling system. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2011
    Second best game I have ever played on any xbox system...Original Halo. That said this game is by far the best war game ever made. The weapons are great, the killing is great. I love how you can bomb people from the sky with a remote. Very violent, great.
  6. Mar 10, 2011
    FPS perfection!! Theres very few games I would give a 10 too but the Call of Duty Series, (especially Infinity Ward) is definitely an exception to the rule. There is no Game out there that has the intensity in single player mode and game play and frame rate in multi-player. There is no substitution for the Whole Call of Duty Series!!
  7. Mar 17, 2011
    This is my second favorite game of the Call of Duty series. The story is pretty good and this game handles and feels better than any game before. It came out in 2007 and it's still among the most played XBOX Live games. Multiplayer is extremely balanced, except for juggernaut, but it's easily reversed with stopping power. The graphics are good for it's time and the IW engine was at it's best for this game. It's extremely fun. Expand
  8. May 24, 2011
    Ah. I bought this game after trading in Black Ops, which I didn't overly enjoy, and I was impressed. This is where Call of Duty turned into what it is today. And it's never been done better. The campaign had a good story, good set-pieces, and interesting little tid-bits for the pro-player. The multiplayer is simply, in my view, perfection. I can't see any other game ever beating what CoD 4 accomplished with it's online mode. Pick up the GOTY if you've somehow missed this. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    It seems to have become very popular to criticize the Call of Duty franchise recently but it is easy to forget how influential Call of Duty 4, the first of the Modern Warfare games has been. The single player mode took in a huge variety of locations putting the player in control of both a U.S Marine and British S.A.S. soldier fighting through an unfolding story, that while still light years behind the best movies, was full of twists and turns that kept the player guessing. At the time the game play was a huge leap forward for console shooters coupling rock solid controls with fantastic set pieces in which too test your skills. For me, although each of the sequels other than World at War were also very good, this first Modern Warfare title remains the pinnacle of the franchise in this regard.

It was of course the multi-player however that truly made Modern Warfare stand out from the crowd. I had never been interested in any on-line shooter before but spent weeks playing on this. The fantastic gunplay from the single-player was coupled with an excellent selection of maps and the all important perk system, now a standard for any on-line FPS. Allowing players the chance to customise their characters weapon set, special ability and appearance was a masterstroke and has helped make Call of Duty the most valuable franchise in gaming today.
  10. May 12, 2011
    The best game of 2007, hands down. Infinity Ward has revived the franchise to it's true potential. With an interesting story with memorable environments and locations, and extremely fun, intense, and addicting mulitplayer, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, is the reason why Call of Duty, is where it is at today.
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    Intriguing story, actually fun multiplayer (and I don't like very many multiplayer games), and great visuals for its time, this is a game that is not to be missed. One of the best of the generation.
  12. May 28, 2011
    One of my favorite FPS, I find it funny how all the negative reviews are coming from PS3 fanboys and Halo fanboys...lulz
  13. Jun 30, 2011
    One of my favorite FPS's of all time, the singleplayer was short but extremely rewarding, has its fair share of OMG moments. But where this game really shined was the multiplayer, this game really did it right, and I guess this sounds weird in retrospect of playing some of the newer Call of Duty titles like Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, but I strongly feel this had the most balanced multiplayer maps, killstreaks, gun setups, hit registry out of any of the COD4 or later COD games, if you don't believe me try it out, I strongly recommend anyone who was a fan of MW2 and or Black Ops or just wants an excellent FPS game for their library. Expand
  14. Jul 5, 2011
    In my opinion, this is by far the best call of duty. The story is great, along with the characters. The multiplayer is also great, with a great variety of guns. The only negative that you could possibly find about this game, is, the glitches that occur later on in the game. so if you are looking for a game with a great story, and a spectacular ending, then you should pick up call of duty 4.
  15. Aug 17, 2011
    Please, do yourselves a favour and ignore the bad reviews given by users on Metacritic. In my eyes, this is one of the best multi-player games on the Xbox 360 today, and is still highly populated after four years of release. If you do not own it, do yourself a favour and BUY IT.

Also notice that the vast majority of negative reviews on this website are given by either Battlefield or Halo
    marks, noticeable by their names of their suggestions of "HALO is better!" etc. Expand
  16. Aug 1, 2011
    Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare!! Back in the day I could play online for hours sometimes days non stop. 11/10 for online, 7/10 for story.!!!!!! No compare!!!!!! Expand
  17. Aug 15, 2011
    This game is awesome!!The game play is enthralling even if it is a little bit short.With Captain Price and Gaz as your mentors you will never go wrong!This is definitely a must buy!!
  18. Aug 30, 2011
    in short: Pros: one of the best fps games of all time, brought a WW II based community into the future single player had a great story line multiplayer was fun and new cons: lackluster nowdays campaign is overshadowed by later games well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern era, the multiplayer was absolutely amazing for the time.

on the basis of the multiplayer, it had its unfair points such as juggernaut, but all in all it was a fair fun experience that even the lesser decent players could enjoy. returning to the game now would be useless only because the lobbies have little to no players and the ones who are left have "infections" that cloud the screen.

the single player campaign is an amazing experience, it was my first time ever seeing something as epic as a nuke going off, and it astonished me at the time, il always remember that moment when your helicopter goes down and your character struggles to climb out, falling to the ground as his vision fades away.
  19. Mar 23, 2012
    This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards. What's even more incredible is how all of the online maps are based off ones in single player, but you don't actually notice the variety in map design until you see the familiar places you went through in the story online. This game is why CoD is successful. It added customisation as well as challenges and the great ranking system, including prestige mode. There's just no point in even going through the additions this has made to multiplayer shooters. As single player experience alone, this is 10/10, let alone the multiplayer counterpart. And for those of you who think it's short, well guess what? It isn't. It's compact, not short. You get so much variety and epicness in so little time and you don't want it to end so that's why it feels short- because it's soooooooooo good. The difficulty level is done perfectly. Veteran is Veteran, and not just easy. I doubt that any time in the future a campaign will ome along that has more variety, is more engaing and has a better story and characters. In every way, CoD4's single player is by far one of the all-time greats. It may be fairly short, but the amount of content it holds, the outstanding level design, the intense gameplay, the distinctive characters, the excellent plot and the beautiful soundtrack. This has it all. And when you're finished, the awesome Arcade Mode allows you to play for high scores per level. "Short and epic", in the words of Battlefield 3's lead designer Patrick Bach, is better than long and boring. In CoD4 there are no fillers, no boring points. Every single second of every mission is put to good use. It is so well scripted. The multiplayer, of course, is what this game has received most credit for. And it deserves all merits too. The variety in level design from the campaign has lead to some of the best, if not THE best collection of multiplayer maps ever, with a great variety in environments and layouts. The multiplayer really is a complete package and can be enjoyed by all gamer of all skill levels with all sorts of playstyles. The different game modes, weapons, maps and challenges accomodate for everyone, and private matches are great fun to play organised games/set rules. Not only does CoD4 ooze revolution, but it is genuinely the best FPS of all time. Expand
  20. Sep 24, 2011
    Easily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea of customization with a choice of your attachment, and perks. As anyone knows now those three things are all staples of FPS's now and CoD4 made it happen. It also have fantastic maps, such as backlot, vacant, strike, ambush, overgrown, crash, district, and crossfire. The only truly bad map is wetwork. In terms of weapon balance the M16 is slightly overpowered but other than that it is completely balanced. The perks offer a wide array of options and you are given completely viable perks and guns out of the gate. Expand
  21. Jan 3, 2012
    The new face of war. I was uninterested in playing this sort of action war games and rather sick of the Call of Duty series until this entry came along and completely blew me away. Very tight narrative coupled with intense combat and some truly amazing moments makes for one real hell of a game.
  22. Nov 15, 2011
    The standard that all FPS games have to live up to. even mw2 and 3 aren't as good as this. Simply amazing game that blew me away in 2007 and still does today. without a doubt the best fps game of the last 10 years
  23. Nov 5, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Must Buy! 10/10 A+ 100% Expand
  24. Nov 8, 2011
    I believe that this is the high water mark of this generation's first person shooters. The story mode is a blast and the online MP is nonstop fun. Loving this game might make me a "fanboy", but I'll be damned if I care.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    Game was the original! The best of all the FPS of its time. First shooter I ever played and still one of the best. Haha. All I have to say is that....This game was the Legend. Mw2 the Prodigy. Mw3 the failure.
  26. Nov 13, 2011
    The only good Call of Duty besides 3 2 and 1. This game is the epitome of solid gunplay, tight controls and great hit detection. Even today its a blast to play. Way better than crappy warfare 3
  27. Dec 7, 2011
    A Complete and total FPS innovation. If you played this game then you know the deal. The greatest Call of Duty that ever was. Truly no other compares.
  28. Dec 17, 2011
    In my opinion the last truly innovative Call of Duty. Great multiplayer and jaw dropping campaign that I played for days, literally days, and I still play now. I just wish that the rest of the COD games were as original as this one.
  29. Jan 19, 2012
    This Cod is the best cod because it is balanced enough and it is fun. SIngle player was great. I don't like playing arcade mode because it doesn't really change the game much but this is the awesome thing you would want to buy.
  30. Feb 1, 2012
    best game ever .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.