4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2055 Ratings

1. Oct 21, 2014
    Awful game. People say this is better than Ghosts. Haha. Let's go through the laundry list of problems in this game. The assault shield: Remember how annoying head glitch in was in previous games? Well, Treyarch thought it'd be a good idea to make a portable headglitch that was just at eye level. This game is super camper friendly. Just take a look at the portable headglitch, the guardian scorestreak, and trophy systems. Just look up "The Worm black ops 2" on YouTube. Every grenade is blocked by the trophy system. But no on to an even bigger problem: quickscoping. Everyone quickscopes. Why? BECAUSE IT TAKES NO SKILL. The aim assist is absurd. Just point the sniper in the direction of your enemy and you've got a kill. My friend, who has never played CoD in his life, managed to get a triple quickscope feed. It's that easy. Now, those are the big problems, but now I will list the rest: bad spawns, bad maps, c with fast hands, terrible scorestreaks, weak weapons, rage quitting, campers, R870, KAP 40, MSMC, and Nuketown/Hijacked. This game might as well be called Call of Duty: Nuketown Hijacked. I will give this game a 1 for the scorestreak system, otherwise it would receive a 0. Expand
  2. Sep 22, 2014
    To be honest with you, I have played Call of Duty with my friends from time to time. But, lets face facts here guys, the game's bad now. Can we all show how they can make a game every year and change the graphics of the game? They use the same thing. Same old same old. I'm lucky that I never had interest playing a game like THIS. The Multiplayer is down right awful. Especially that you're playing with 10 year olds who can shout f*ck or s*it or simply everything racist and sadistic in every way possible. The Single Player Campaign clearly just uses the same old story whatsoever. Same Guns, Same Everything. I gave it a 0 because every Call of Duty game deserves such a rating every year. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2014
    This game is so bad. I don't get why so many people baught it. The multiyplayer is the best part, but the same every time. The story is total nonsense, and 6 hours campaign. The guys from treyarch have an really big buget, and all that they do with it is copy and paste from the other CoDs.
  4. Sep 9, 2014
    This game in multiplayer item is just awful! The game has all the same maps on both sides, the connection is poor, unbalanced life is horrible! The game comes with incomplete mandatory buy the DLCs for those who enjoy the Zombies mode which is the coolest game of this half mouth. The campaign was weak on history but legal in question you can use your own class and have alternate endings, the rest is a bad COD Expand
  5. Aug 7, 2014
    I've given this game a low rating because it is basically just overpriced DLC content of the previous black ops, except for a few different sounds, and some different guns. The first black ops was also crap imo, so this one deserves to be lower rated
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    Being the sequel of one of my favorite military shooters, it fails to do its older brother justice. It throws the good setting and plot of the first out the window, and turns it into Modern Warfare 4. The multiplayer is the same copy- paste thing as last year and years past, and the addictive zombies mode, (my favorite mode from Black Ops 1), is made too easy, and though it is okay, it still can't justify its original $60 price tag. GET THE FIRST BLACK OPS INSTEAD! Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2014
    This game is certainly something, nothing good in any way fathomable though. After playing this game for just about a year's time, I think I can work up something of a review for this game. First off the campaign as always is lousy, unemotional and just plain boring to play though a majority of the time. Now the game's true faults come with it's multiplayer mode. I will start off by saying they shouldn't have gone back to the similar "Modern Warfare" style of unlocking weapons and attachments; they should have kept the same method of unlocking weapons and attachments from the original Black Ops. Gun play in this game is just average, it does not feel gratifying getting kills with any of the guns; and they all seem to lack a sort of impact. The gun sounds are hilariously bad and lack any sort of power behind them. It also seems as though the developer's of these CoD games have no idea how a bullet works or functions; as you could shoot some one from maybe six or so feet away from you with the MCS and the pellets would only be like cotton candy on impact, doing minimal damage. This game franchise still has some of the worst hit detection and placement of hitboxes I've ever seen. The maps in this particular game are probably some of the worst I've ever played in any sort of FPS. A majority, if not all maps are based on the same concept: One team on one side other team on other side, fight over the No-Man's Land and that's all she wrote. Gameplay gets utterly dull and boring just after a few matches. Granted this game has a variety of game types, but this does not save the overall game; not to mention this game has a lot fewer guns than previous titles. The only redeemable factor about actually stomaching to purchase this game is the classic Zombies mode that has re-appeared from Black Ops. Should you buy this game? No, absolutely not. This game deserves the title of being an abomination to the FPS genre, much like the entirety of the franchise since innovation isn't even relevant in any of these games. They all still function around the concept that Modern Warfare brought us 7 years ago (5 years for Black Ops 2). Do they improve the gameplay of any of the newer releases, perhaps some innovation? None whatsoever. I played this game until Prestige Master, and that's when I vowed to never purchase another CoD game, nor will I play another. If you have some common sense, and never play this game or any in it's franchise because it is all generally the same game from 2007. Expand
  8. Feb 20, 2014
    Do not get me started with this game. The lead developer, David Vonderhaar, is quite possibly the most idiotic man the gaming industry has ever seen. There are a few select guns in the multiplayer that are entirely unbalanced and require little to no skill to use (generally speaking, the snipers, light machines guns, and a couple of shotguns). The latency is unbearable as the developers deliberately do nothing to fix it. "Let's released weapon camo DLC microtransactions instead of fixing the lag!"

The campaign isn't bad, nothing new.

However, the one redeeming factor about this game is its Zombies mode. It's a whole load of fun, and the development team for this game mode clearly put much more work into the game (yes, it's a different team) and genuinely care about their players. I highly recommend you play Zombies in this game at least once, as it is a stark contrast and a huge step up from the previous games.

Multiplayer: 1/10
    Campaign: 4/10
    Zombies: 8/10

Average, overall rating: 4/10
    It's important to remember that these three game modes are very different and you should not judge any of them based off of the others.
  9. Jan 9, 2014
    I think my review of this game sums up what the Call of Duty franchise is but in one word, uninspired. This game is just nothing new at all and it brings nothing new to the world of first-person shooters. It's saving grace is it's local multiplayer (Zombies especially) but it's just not enough to save this game from being just.....uninspired and lazy.
  10. Jan 7, 2014
    It's pretty much MW3, but with a slick, James Bond-esque theme instead of the dull military theme of the last cod. Damage is still wildly inconsistent, sniper rifles dominate the game, and spawning is still as bad as ever. The campaign is dull and boring-why make a new cold war when there's still so much of the real Cold War left unexplored?
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    If there is any word I would sum up this game with it would be "over-hyped." Every single CoDfish that drools over this game are either stupid or zealous fanboys. The game itself is merely a cut-and-paste version of Black Ops and, for the most part, the entire Modern Warfare series.

First off, there's the campaign. Somehow I finally managed to work up the courage to play the damn
    game, since I played World At War a couple months back. I usually play games for their story and in my honest opinion, the story for this game is absolute garbage. The plot twists were horribly predictable and, despite the very few choices you actually get to make in the game, it feels like many of the crap you get put through is just scripted to happen. The plot is some B-movie story that any idiot writer in Hollow-wood could come up with. The story is so convoluted that it ends up being laughable at how poorly it was written.

The mechanics are downright awful. Like most CoD games I've played, oftentimes the enemies will hit you cheaply. I mean, you're supposed to be a damn SEAL, whose fighting reflexes are supposed to be good. Instead every melee shot requires a brief "cooldown" before you can swing again. Meanwhile, the enemy you're fighting against swings again and again in no time at all (for every one swing you get, the enemy throws *at least* two, usually resulting in a very cheap death). And don't get me started on the same stupid thing that Treyarch just loves to put in that every serious gamer absolutely despises: infinite spawners. This means that enemies will just keep coming endlessly until you're able to actually push through the area (running very low on ammo in the process), and when you pass the area, the enemies just suddenly stop. Infinite spawners are just a cheap way to keep the player "entertained" while doing more cut-and-paste AI bulls*** in the next area. At one point, I even found that a simple jump across a space to an open balcony seemed simple enough if I sprinted the gap. However, I somehow fell short every damn time until I did a regular jump across, which somehow did the trick (I mean REALLY?!?! I couldn't make the jump with a faster sprint-jump?!?! I raged so hard at this obviously-scripted point).

Multiplayer. Hate it. Cut-and-paste Modern Warfare. No skill using weapons that are already stabilized for you. That's all I have to say.

All in all, Black Ops II is a game that was overly hyped with almost no difference between Modern Warfare and Black Ops. I won't be surprised if Ghosts turns out to be more of the same cut-and-paste drivel that Treyarch calls a "much-improved sequel." Just quit lying to us and admit that your modern-era CoD games are all pretty much the same game wearing different skins. Verdict: skip it unless you're an easily-fooled, diehard CoDfish.
  12. Dec 15, 2013
    This really is a game for absolute morons. I find it interesting how the reviews on this site are far more negative when done by normal people, rather than the reviews by people working for a major publication sponsored by the same company whose product they're reviewing. At least the game helpfully tells you how garbage it will be straight away, when you see the main character of the first Black Ops with his kid, who tells his dad to go back to the army then immediately says "you promised you wouldn't go back to the army!" It goes to show what happens when you let people who've spent their professional lives choreographing scenes of shooting foreigners write dialogue. Every mission is either deeply boring, or laughable. The mission where you help the Mujahideen against the Soviets is just running across huge landscapes of nothing, to fight amongst sand and sand coloured huts, before the developers throw in a reference to the first Black Ops when an enemy from it shows up, ironically finishing off the steaming heap of the mission was made of. The game's set in the future but you wouldn't know if half the time considering most missions are going back in time to ridiculous over-the-top recreations of the invasion of Panama, while every mission in the future only tells you by giving you some kind of high tech gadget you can use once in a scripted moment before never seeing again. While you're leading your squad of white American dudes to fight future terrorism (because I'm meant to feel sympathy for poor little America when all her merciless deathdrones get taken away) in a hundred identical corridors, I couldn't help but feel that if this game didn't have Call of Duty on the box it wouldn't get the acclaim the series thinks it's entitled to. Before, I could accept the shameless reskinning of the last game to create a sequel because the story at least had hints of interesting themes, even if MW3 was ridiculous it was still cool. This isn't; it's bland, repetitive and its attempts to do something original are awfully scripted and choreographed. And the Strike Force missions are so terrible I can't even begin to talk about them, especially after it tried to convince me that if I didn't succeed in defending this one base on the India-China border from a Chinese attack, ALL of India (one of the world's top militaries and economies, even more so in 2025) would just flop over and fall to China. I'd tell you not to buy this game but I'm sure 9 out of 10 of the people reading this already did, since it made a literal billion dollars, sending a message to the entire industry that'll last a generation that what we all really want are more games where you hold a collection of weapons and go on killing sprees of endless supplies of foreigners whose supply of expensive equipment is never called into question, all the while chasing this one bad guy whose motives are explained to make you feel sympathy but instead are the most hollow thing I can imagine short of gouging out the inside of my which is ironically what I'd rather do than play this game. Expand
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    it seems that every call of duty released more it became useless,this game is another useless thing in the history of call of duty.Activision should stop doing it.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    look,activision
    if you are going to do a call of duty game for year
    try to innovated something
    its so lazy and so stupid to make a game with the SAME GRAPHICS
    WITH THE SAME GAMEPLAY,WITH THE SAME BORED STORY,
    and THE SHORT CAMPAIGN
    do you think that multiplayer and call of duty fanboys is a pretext to do a call of duty?
    CALL OF DUTY SUCKS MAN
  15. Nov 3, 2013
    Another Call of Duty, with more bugs, maps very very smallers, 9999 ping, and its a DLC, called "version" the weapons are the same, with the insta-kill with the knife.
  16. Oct 30, 2013
    Pure i just vomited on my screen, only fun thing is zombies. Cant believe i waisted 80 bucks on a repetitive boring game. They should just make a game about zombies.
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    Do not get this game, its the same as every other Call of duty, not a good campaign, multiplayer is very boring, no new graphics, everything is a copy and paste.
  18. Oct 17, 2013
    Decided to review Call of Duty this year after the year of playing it. It is by far the call of duty ever bar maybe world at war which also sucked. The balance of weapons has simply been atrocious Beachhead bailed on elite 5 months in for next gen, it has been the worst COD experience of my life. Bring back COD4 for gods sake.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    My honest opinion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

I paid the full $60 for this game not knowing what to expect. Biggest waste of $60 in my life.

For starters, my run-down of the campaign. Cliche 'd and typical of Call of Duty. The only reason I was given for hating this game's villain is that he is a drug dealer, that's it. I honestly feel that this game's villain is the true
    protagonist given how much I have to side with him, and not the Protagonists. Other than that, the campaign is OK at best, but I stopped early on due to how frustrating it was for me on my first play-through

Secondly, my run-down of the zombies mode. Surprisingly bland and lifeless. The classic zombies formula is there, but the maps don't go well with it. All of the maps included with the game are either laughably easy, needlessly hard, poorly designed, or all previously mentioned. The new map Tranzit is made needlessly difficult due to how unnecessarily spacious the map is. I would like it more if the game was willing to let me explore. A thick fog and head crab-like aliens make exploring nearly impossible, defeating the purpose of having a map with secrets, features that discourage the player from exploring. Think Minecraft if creepers infinitely spawned about 100 blocks away from the spawn.

Finally, the worst of the bundle, the multiplayer. This is probably the worst multiplayer in any game that I have ever played. The guns are horribly unbalanced in favor of SMGs, sniping is nearly impossible due to how cramped these maps are, and the maps themselves are poorly designed. These soldiers clearly have some sort of armor on their models, but with how paper-thin their health is, they might as well be running around naked for all the good it does them. The spawning is also god-awful. The way the spawning works is that there are 2 spawn zones, one for each team, and the spawns will flip if a player from one team enters the other team's spawn zone. This spawn system is very exploitable, particularly on the smaller maps, and especially Nuketown. If you don't know what I'm getting at, it is possible for players on one team to sit so that they can kill enemies in their spawn zone without resetting the spawns, leading to mass amounts of spawn-killing.

In short, it's boring and bland. If you took Call of Duty away from this game, I doubt anybody would try to support this game. Also, this game is not fun, and if your game is not fun, you have failed your job as a game to provide an entertaining experience. The only fun I had with this game is the mission of the campaign where you actually play as the main villain and go around murdering everybody with a machete. Other than that, this game deserves the bad rep it gets.
  20. EmX
    Sep 23, 2013
    Total Garbage-
    This is the worst programed, most unrealistic multi-fps shooter I've ever played. There are so many issues with it, that instead of writing a 10,000 word negative review why this franchise is dead and most importantly, not worth your money, I'l just top line some of the main issues. The weapons are an absolute joke, and were obviously inspired by the fantasies of a 12 year
    old instead of the real world. Sniper rifles are basically auto fire, one shot kills and the most supreme weapons, followed by pistols. Light Machine guns need at least 40-50 rounds to kill an opponent in addition to having abysmal range. Nades, claymores, and other incendiary devices don't kill instantly unless a direct hit. And the fantasy continues. There are only 4 controller configurations-FOUR- that's how lazy and thoughtful the developers were creating this game. Want to run? you have to awkwardly press down your left stick and then hope to god you can run more than 5 feet with out it stopping. Hit boxes are abysmal, and really dependent on luck than skill. Bottomline, the COD franchise is a sham, that caters to dumb people who need artificial aids to game and who have no concept of quality games. Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2013
    The same unimaginative and boring gameplay and lack luster story that Treyarc and Infinity Ward pump out every year. I would much rather they spend 3 years taking their time with one game than what they do now, but I guess that wouldn't make nearly as much.
  22. Aug 26, 2013
    [2.5] Call of Duty has more than overstayed it's welcome, and is becoming increasingly generic. A terribly poor, and illogical narrative, a repetitive, and painfully basic multiplayer don't help Black Ops II in the slightest bit.
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    Pay for the same game since MW2! I hope these stuping people who is buying every year the same game dies or goes to hell right now, and when the "Ghosts" game releases it will be the same, shiit as hell!!!
  24. Aug 23, 2013
    1) graphics-worse then cod mw(2007) rank 0
    2)engine-lag and low fps even on i7+ati 5450 hd,game crash none stop,glitched rank 0
    3)story- boring rank 1
    4)gameplay- same gameplay from mw 2007, you run in arcade mode and gun and cause of lag and game crush the its impossible to enjoy it so... rank 0
    5)online- no dedicated servers 90% of players community under 14 and hacks,lag all the
    time rank 0

conclusion 0+0+0+0+1/5= 0
    worse game and not playble dont buy or rent just play the previous once
  25. Aug 16, 2013
    I don't know what should I write to make everyone agree with me. And I mean EVERYONE with no exceptions. Why newer game generation hardly brought innovation to any kind of gameplay? Why complaining only gets worse over time?
  26. Aug 15, 2013
    Before I start, I'll say this: I don't hate Call of Duty Black Ops 2, its just way too similar to the previous entries in the series. Similar enough that it basically adds little to the franchise in terms of innovation.
  27. Aug 9, 2013
    The newest installment of the Call Of Duty franchise is not really that new the campaign is repetitive but alright but you wont remember it from the start to the end the multiplayer is a broken mess people running around with OP guns and the most unfair kill streaks. Zombies is BAD! Tranzit is stupid they just ride around in a bus going to point A to point B and there is a zombie called the avagadro he stops the bus and shock's you and if you hop out you have these things that hop on you and claw at you're face and you might not survive long enough because they is lava EVERYWHERE! DON"T BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  28. Aug 8, 2013
    Okay here are 10 reasons why I HATE cod since most people don't translate very well why they hate the games
    10.the campaign since its not the focus I'm not going to bash it to much but it's to linear to short overused q.t.e.s/scripted events and terrible a.i but the story is surprisingly not terrible
    9. Repetition the game is very repetitive because they give you very few ways to
    actually play the game with really only one gameplay style rushing
    8.balancing black ops 2 has the worst balancing (if you can call it that) in any games period. When it's as bad as it is in this game you destroy all competition and skill
    7Ruining gaming if you even try to argue against this you are retarded gaming is an art gaming is an experience and they take you to another world graphics didn't matter but now a lot (not all) developers think that they can just make a generic fps with good graphics and that's all it takes cod has had a horrible influence on gaming
    6The fan base I know it is unfair to hate a game because the fans are annoying but seriously they are the most annoying kids I've ever seen In my goddamn life
    5copy paste sequels every cod game is exactly the some with little to no innovation it is just a graphics update and different guns that literally it
    4lack of strategy there is absolutely no strategy involved at all you literally run n gun that's it it doesn't even try to throw skill in there
    3Horrible level design not only are the maps to small in my opinion but the level design has no amount of thought put into them they don't reward strategy or teamwork a 4 year old might as well throw Legos on the ground
    2no dedicated servers what the is up with this your seriously telling me that with 20 million copies sold your not making dedicated servers with that money
    the horrible hit detection oh Mai gawd the hit detection is garbage like mate I shoot someone with like half my clip and it says I missed every time I hide behind cover and it dosent even provide cover
    There 10 reasons anyone care to argue
  29. Aug 8, 2013
    I was a big Modern Warfare and World at War fan but ever since then Call Of Duty hasnt improved and Black Ops 2 is the worst Call Of Duty, Here are the reasons why : 1. The Maps are boring and have no replay-ability. 2. The gameplay of the multiplayer is dreadful and there is too much LAG when playing online. 3. The whole game feels lazy and boring. 4.Nobody talks on the mic anymore, only 10 year olds shouting and swearing.
    5. The game is made for kids now..
    6. It is not made for hardcore games or even mature gamers.
    7. The price of the DLC is ridiculous, each DLC has been a massive let down.
    8. THE GAME IS 18+ RATED MATURE FOR 18 YEAR OLDS AND ABOVE, but the game is ruined due to so many kids playing online.
    9. Single player campaign is linear, tells you what to do and its the same formula as all the other call of duties.
    10. The game needs to go back to its roots, treyarch and infinity ward need to look at COD4 and realized why we loved that game.

If COD:GHOSTS is a massive disappointment like Black Ops 2 was, im not playing call of duty again, im done with this franchise.

My rating is 0/10 this game has done nothing but infuriate me, no other game has made me this angry.
    The whole game is a mess, it feels rushed, boring and does not excite me whatsoever.
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    Horrible trash released every year.Alright graphics,same old boring gameplay,worst call of duty story to date, same multiplayer with new maps and guns.The only reason I'm not going to give this game a 0 is because the multiplayer kept me entertained for a couple of days
  31. Nov 19, 2012
    This is a review for multiplayer only. I have played every COD online since COD 2 and they have had some hits and misses but this one is an abomination. The maps are the worst in any game in the series so far. It seems like they have catered to the Nuketown crowd. Most of the maps are way too small. Carrier and Hijacked being the two worst of the new maps. Cargo, Meltdown, Plaza, Raid, Slums, Standoff are just a little less worse than the first two I mentioned. The only half way decent maps are: Turbine, Overflow and Drone. At least those maps you can move 5 feet without getting shot in the back.

Lag is another huge problem. Is it lag compensation? I have no idea but something is definitely wrong.

The only good thing I can say about the multiplayer is the new "pick ten" feature in the "create a class" menu.

To sum up, I am thoroughly disappointed.

2. Jan 19, 2013