Call of Duty: Black Ops II Xbox 360

4.9

1. Nov 13, 2012
    The majority of these reviews are right. Nothing really "new" here. Its the same campaign, albeit a little less linear. Its the same multi-player, albeit tweaked a little. But there was never anything wrong with the campaign or MP to warrant much of a change anyway. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Call of Duty has been, and always will be, that 94 Honda Civic you're still driving around.The majority of these reviews are right. Nothing really "new" here. Its the same campaign, albeit a little less linear. Its the same multi-player, albeit tweaked a little. But there was never anything wrong with the campaign or MP to warrant much of a change anyway. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Call of Duty has been, and always will be, that 94 Honda Civic you're still driving around. Its dated, it might smell a little, and its losing its polish. But its reliable, and you can count on it to get you from point A to B. Call of Duty may not offer anything drastically different from previous releases, but at this point, it is still keeping me and my friends camped out on a couch all night playing. Giving this game a 0 because it hasnt "changed" completely misses the point of giving a review. Graphics are fine - 60 FPS with no drops at all. Audio is amazing (flat screen speakers aren't good for sound, upgrade your system, its not the game, its your equipment) Game-play is tried and true. Multiplayer is where this game shines, and is this series main focal point. Call of Duty is a Juggernaut of a franchise and has yet to show any signs of slowing down. If you need something to occupy your winter hibernation, this one is a no brainer. My point it, what COD does, it does well. You are all more than welcome to voice your opinions, and my opinion is that your opinions are wrong. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    This is exactly what I wanted from MW2 and MW3. If you were one of many who have been dissappointed by many recent CoD games, don't worry. BO2 makes a ton of changes and breathes new life into the dying series. And score streaks are way better than the kill streaks of previous games. The campaign is more refined than the crap known as MW2 and MW3. The online is better. This is the best inThis is exactly what I wanted from MW2 and MW3. If you were one of many who have been dissappointed by many recent CoD games, don't worry. BO2 makes a ton of changes and breathes new life into the dying series. And score streaks are way better than the kill streaks of previous games. The campaign is more refined than the crap known as MW2 and MW3. The online is better. This is the best in the series since Modern Warfare 1. Let's just hope that Activision can continue to take the franchise in to this direction, instead of the modern warfare direction. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    I personally liked this game, kinda feels like i played the game before, pretty similar to blackops 1.
    This is cod, and it will always be annoying at certain points. I would give this a 8-9 but there are so many who just hate this game because its cod, and they still buy it.. so i'll give it a 10.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duty games ever!!! The campaign is great, but not as good as COD 4, and the new features of the Zombie Mode and the Multiplayer (the most important for me) make this game a must have for every shooter fan!!!
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    Haven't even tried the game yet, but I agree just like Halo 4 this trolling has to stop. It's ok for you not to like a game, but to give it a 0 is pathetic. Try writing a subjective review and actually give real legitimate scores based off real reasons you aren't fond of a title. Giving a game a 0 is calling it an Atari ET cartridge and thats just not fair to say to about any game. :) SoHaven't even tried the game yet, but I agree just like Halo 4 this trolling has to stop. It's ok for you not to like a game, but to give it a 0 is pathetic. Try writing a subjective review and actually give real legitimate scores based off real reasons you aren't fond of a title. Giving a game a 0 is calling it an Atari ET cartridge and thats just not fair to say to about any game. :) So in the spirit of fairness and righting this injustice, (and even though at my core I'm more of a Halo fan) I'm gonna give this game an eight which is about where I think I would feel about it based off my experience with the entire COD series which I have actually played in the past. Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    Don't believe the haters that post 0 ratings. Based on their comments it's obvious they don't even own the game and just hate the franchise. Continue to read and you will understand why this is true. Do Metacritic a favor and vote those reviews down.

I spent about three hours on multiplayer team deathmatch last night and the game felt much different. The sound (through turtle beach headphones) is much improved and the video seems more detailed. It is hard to hear footsteps but they are there. One new thing I noticed is that if you bump into things you make noise. The maps seem small but they are intricate, multi-leveled, and provide many paths to move through the map. In contrast MW3 that had basically three paths on most maps.

The new "pick 10" system allows you to customize your loadout the way you want and, with the new wildcards, you can even choose the slots available to customize. I didn't spend much time playing with this feature but it's definitely different (and better) than previous versions.

During gameplay I noticed a couple other things that changed (for the better). Gun accuracy is much worse the faster you move. If you run up on someone moving slow and looking down their sights you will most likely get killed. Also, cover makes a big difference. If your having a shootout with someone and you're behind a box or something you're more likely to kill them. Short range weapons are a lot less accurate at range. No more one-shot kills with and SMG from across the map. Vehicles blow up a lot faster. Particularly if you drop a grenade on them.

In summary from what I have seen I think this game is different enough from the original Black Ops and a huge improvement over MW3 which was basically a remake of MW2 with new maps and challenges. One suggestion I have is to create more vertical maps with four or more tiers.No COD has had so maybe the game engine can't handle it.
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    The game isn't very fun. I played for about 2 hours and found the game very boring after about the first hour. And horses aren't exactly futuristic, If Activison and the 20 other companies they have to make these games would take time to plan them out and create an engine that would make the game look good then maybe I would give the franchise another chance. Other than that it will stayThe game isn't very fun. I played for about 2 hours and found the game very boring after about the first hour. And horses aren't exactly futuristic, If Activison and the 20 other companies they have to make these games would take time to plan them out and create an engine that would make the game look good then maybe I would give the franchise another chance. Other than that it will stay as a rental. Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    Not as bad as some people make it seem, but not as good as the reviewers say. Multiplayer has great depth, in terms of customising loadouts, but the gameplay is lacking. Campaign is yet again, another action filled adventure, with some story in it that really didn't get me emotionally attached to it, like some reviewers said it would. If it wasn't for Zombies, I wouldn't give this a 6.Not as bad as some people make it seem, but not as good as the reviewers say. Multiplayer has great depth, in terms of customising loadouts, but the gameplay is lacking. Campaign is yet again, another action filled adventure, with some story in it that really didn't get me emotionally attached to it, like some reviewers said it would. If it wasn't for Zombies, I wouldn't give this a 6. Zombies mode has always been a favourite of mine, and this time it's no different, I lose hours upon hours of my life, just playing Zombies. All in all, if you enjoy Zombies more than any other mode, this is a game worth getting. If not, I wouldn't recommend it. Expand
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    Disappointment. The critics are raving about this, but I guess Activision has been paying this off because this game is absolute garbage. People will buy it anyways because they are sheep.
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    I used to be a huge Call of Duty fan up to Modern Warfare 2. The series was all down hill from there. Once again, Activision settled for lackluster modifications instead of any real changes. Its going to take a lot more than a modified create-a-class system and a new score streak reward system to keep this series alive. They arn"t even offering any technological improvements anymore. TheseI used to be a huge Call of Duty fan up to Modern Warfare 2. The series was all down hill from there. Once again, Activision settled for lackluster modifications instead of any real changes. Its going to take a lot more than a modified create-a-class system and a new score streak reward system to keep this series alive. They arn"t even offering any technological improvements anymore. These games only sell well because of their competitive nature, not because they are any fun. If you want to be competitive, go airsofting or paintballing. At least that way you will get some exercise. Expand
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    3 words: Same Graphics Engine. Seriously, its been forever and the graphics are run off the same engine as MW4? and they expect people to believe it took 3 years to make this? lmao get real do NOT buy this game.
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    This is basically the same thing as those Sports games, NHL, FIFA and son on. Just a yearly update with a few new things added to the old core game. If you're ok with that, then no problem. I am not. I never understood people who buy those sports games every year, don't understand CoD-fanatics either. It's just same **** different package. And NO I didn't buy it, I borrowed it for from myThis is basically the same thing as those Sports games, NHL, FIFA and son on. Just a yearly update with a few new things added to the old core game. If you're ok with that, then no problem. I am not. I never understood people who buy those sports games every year, don't understand CoD-fanatics either. It's just same **** different package. And NO I didn't buy it, I borrowed it for from my friend, who hated it. I hate it too. **** you Treyarch & Infinity Ward, **** you Call of Duty, **** you fan boys, **** your copy-paste style of game development. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    Yet another Call of Duty title has been released and it is at least solid. This is not a great game, or even a good game really, but it is fun and will provide several people with hours of entertainment. People can say what they will about the Call of Duty franchise, but it has done well for itself and keeps fans coming back. Of course the game is the same year after year, but that'sYet another Call of Duty title has been released and it is at least solid. This is not a great game, or even a good game really, but it is fun and will provide several people with hours of entertainment. People can say what they will about the Call of Duty franchise, but it has done well for itself and keeps fans coming back. Of course the game is the same year after year, but that's because the developers don't really strive to be innovative, which is fine. It is the gaming equivalent of candy. By this I mean it is not satisfying and filling like a steak, but it still tastes good and I indulge myself every now and again. My main point is that even though Call of Duty has become like Madden it doesn't make it a bad game. Call of Duty has become stale, repetitive, and a little dull, but it has certainly not become boring. Black Ops 2 is probably best suited for die-hard Call of Duty fans, but others may get a couple of weeks worth of fun out of it. Just go into the game with the mentality that it is the same as it has always been and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    I've never been a big fan of CoD. I often found the storyline discombobulated and so off the wall that it didn't make sense and I appreciated the depth of the multiplayer some of the perks, and the player tatics and general attitude of let's run around like crazy until the other team is dead really turned me off. I've always been a Battlefield fan.

Having said that. This new game is

Having said that. This new game is amazing. There are choices and consequences in the story. The villain, while despicable, is a tragic figure that suffered through some true atrocities. I actually found myself caring about him at some point. The multiplayer has been revamped. It's to early to prestige but when you do you actually have options now. You get a token that you can use to unlock something no matter what level it is. They've tweaked the perks system which I like and they finally took the focus off of KDR. I've always been a 1.3-1 on average KDR guy myself. so this was a welcome change.

Bottom line is don't listen to these idiots who say the game sucks and nothing's changed. They're doing that to drive the score down because they've nothing better to do with their time. Plus the game's been out for 12 hours so there's no way to know if it really does suck.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    This franchise has not changed it fundamentals ever, just same old every year.
    Even as they make billions they spend nothing to improve the games, graphics are old, sound is bad, gameplay is just broken in today's market. 2012
    My last COD ever, fool me once...
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    So, here we are again, another Call of Duty game in the seemingly endless franchise. I'm not going to lie - when I read these reviews before getting home and playing the game, I wasn't expecting much.

Wasn't I wrong. This does not feel like a COD game, regardless of what others who have reviewed it say - the campaign is fantastic, diverse and written by the Co-Writer of The Dark Knight Rises, the zombies is as great as usual, and the multiplayer... well, it's the first time i've actually enjoyed the multiplayer during the first hour of playtime since MW2.

This is NOT the best COD game, that title belongs to the classics - however, it only just falls short, and deserves a solid 9.3.

NOTE: I warn you to disregard any 'RED' reviews. The vast majority are very likely to be bandwaggoning haters and/or Battlefield/Halo fans. It's a shame that men have to resort to such childish means to get 'one-up' on rival gaming franchises.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    Please just hear me out on this, first of, people are overreacting, it's not a terrible game.

The campaign claims to be different, but really these strike force missions that would change the course of your campaign don't, cool idea but poorly executed. The campaign is still a on rails roller-coaster which I'd only recommend dor tasteless "gamers". The story is filled with plot-holes, brain-dead people won't have a problem with this, but I did.

Multi-player can be addictive, and although Treyarch actually tried to make it feel a bit fresh, it falls somewhat short. It's no doubt an improvement over previous call of duty games, perhaps the best since WaW, or Cod4, but that doesn't mean much anymore. It basically feels like cod with a new hud, slightly improved graphics, and although there's more game-modes it's not enough to make this worth $60. Zombies have so much potential, but lazy map design, and a refusal to improve, makes the zombie mode (although fun) a half assed experience. Too bad because it really has a potential to be one of the best zombie games with all the revenue and funding over the years.

The game isn't **** like the nay-sayers call it, but it's not worth it compared to all other great games, and the fact that BO2 will be a forgotten entry full with hackers next year.
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    This game does nothing original. The multiplayer is the same rehashed crap that it's always been, the graphics wouldn't look out of place on a PS2, the campaign is a joke, and the zombies? 8 player co-op with campaign style missions? Resistance 2 did that three years ago.
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    "CoD. . . CoD never changes." I'm disgusted to see how many more of these Treyarch is willing to release. I can't fathom the amount of people going out there and buying one CoD after the next, only to expect the same gameplay, graphics etc. Changing the gun sounds, tweaking their engine, and adding new guns won't satisfy any FPS player looking for something innovative. I'm saving my money"CoD. . . CoD never changes." I'm disgusted to see how many more of these Treyarch is willing to release. I can't fathom the amount of people going out there and buying one CoD after the next, only to expect the same gameplay, graphics etc. Changing the gun sounds, tweaking their engine, and adding new guns won't satisfy any FPS player looking for something innovative. I'm saving my money for a team who's patient on their release dates, and as no game is ever finished when released, the Dice team puts more effort into their games than the CoD franchise ever will, I'm putting my bets on BF4, and until it comes out, I'll be playing BF3. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2012
    I am so sick of hearing people whine about COD games! Why do people say they waited in line and were so excited about the game, then say oh it's just the same old crap and its boring and the AI sucks and blah blah. It's COD people! you know what you're getting before you even buy the game, so dont **** about how you just wasted $60, trolls!!! It still remains one of the best FPS in historyI am so sick of hearing people whine about COD games! Why do people say they waited in line and were so excited about the game, then say oh it's just the same old crap and its boring and the AI sucks and blah blah. It's COD people! you know what you're getting before you even buy the game, so dont **** about how you just wasted $60, trolls!!! It still remains one of the best FPS in history and a great online multiplayer experience. If you don't like what's popular simply because it's popular, then go listen to your underground techno music and leave us be. Expand
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. God Bless America. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Video game propaganda.Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. God Bless America. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Video game propaganda. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. DiShoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.e. Respawn. Zombies. Americans are all consuming zombies. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.
    Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Terrible. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    This may be the best game in the series. If not, then it is definitely up there. The campaign is well constructed with an added feature to customize your load-out before each mission starts and new strike force mission give some variety to the story. Multiplayer is now very creative with many new possibilities for class set-ups. There is much more variety in the game now. It may not beThis may be the best game in the series. If not, then it is definitely up there. The campaign is well constructed with an added feature to customize your load-out before each mission starts and new strike force mission give some variety to the story. Multiplayer is now very creative with many new possibilities for class set-ups. There is much more variety in the game now. It may not be perfect, but it is a start. I am sure that the next game in the series will expand this further. This has been the most enjoyable fps I have played this year. A lot of time and effort was put into making this game what it is. Respect the people that made it and don't hate because it is "just another CoD game". Two years of development were put into this game and it has not disappointed me at all. I had high expectations for this game and lack Ops 2 surpassed them. Congrats and thank you Treyarch for making such a wonderful game. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2012
    jogo ga.y e reciclado cheio de babaca bombado jogos americanos como sempre inferioes aos japoneses e aos europeus

deveriam tomar vergonha na cara e fazer uma engine nova esses notas que esses sites baitolas deram sao todas compradas por o jogo é mais um vez uma mega porcaria reciclada ninguem aguenta mais esses shooters e esssas pessoas sem cociencia que compram esse jogo idiota sem pensar
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    A zero? Really? It's so ridiculous that no one is going to take your comments seriously - the same can be said for all the 10's. Try to be objective people.
  25. Nov 13, 2012
    This game falls unbelievably short of the FPS graphic and sounds standards set by recent FPSes such as BF3, Warfigher and Halo 4. If you're the best selling FPS ever, the least you could do is spend some of that revenue and hire a decent team to build a new engine instead of using id Tech 3 for every single CoD game. Or buy the Frostbite Engine from EA, you're already spending money to payThis game falls unbelievably short of the FPS graphic and sounds standards set by recent FPSes such as BF3, Warfigher and Halo 4. If you're the best selling FPS ever, the least you could do is spend some of that revenue and hire a decent team to build a new engine instead of using id Tech 3 for every single CoD game. Or buy the Frostbite Engine from EA, you're already spending money to pay off Critics anyways, why not spend some more? Anyways, onto the gameplay review. Campaign is a nice short 4 hours, and I'm glad it's short because it was bad and I wanted to play multiplayer. Multiplayer maps feel crowded and junked up with unnecessary **** Love the futuristic design of the new guns, but unfortunately, they feel like the old guns. The new pick ten system and the new perk system are good. So far though, this game plays exactly like Warfighter and IGN gave Warfighter a 4. That must mean the zombies mode is so good that it gives BO2 5 more points. Now I haven't played zombies yet, because all my friends are asleep, so I'm going to leave this here with a rating of 4, but I'll come back and make this rating a 9 if zombies absolutely blows my mind with how **** amazing it is. It had better not disappoint or else I'll know IGN is a corrupt review site who gets paid off by Activision so they can sell more copies of CoD and I certainly hope that's not true. On a side note, this game will probably be played at MLG and IPL because of how easy it is. MLG and IPL have to have SC2 otherwise it would be a casualfest. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    The games keep getting worse and worse. Bad graphics, more meaningless cutscene with more explosions. Just a couple of twist in game play and storyline. Guns feel the same its like am really playing a game for the PS2.
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    The value for money in this game is truly incredible. You essentially get three games in one i.e. the single player campaign, the multiplayer and zombies. The developers knew reusing an old formula again and again will get tiresome (this is the 9th in the series after all) so they've essentially redesigned the wheel and revamped the core game mechanics (that other devs take shamelessly).The value for money in this game is truly incredible. You essentially get three games in one i.e. the single player campaign, the multiplayer and zombies. The developers knew reusing an old formula again and again will get tiresome (this is the 9th in the series after all) so they've essentially redesigned the wheel and revamped the core game mechanics (that other devs take shamelessly). The 'pick 10 system' no longer forces you to have certain things you don't necessarily need so lets you customise fully. This will alter the way you play and increase replay value. I have yet to finish the story mode. The 'non linear' aspect does change the way the gameplay pans out but the actual play is similar to previous titles. The zombies again is above solid and is agreed to be a separate game in its own right. You wont see a huge improvement in graphics or the sound department but is still one of the most polished games out there in terms of textures and audio ques. It is not a perfect game but is definitely worth considering. A solid and the best in the franchise.

P.S Don't be disheartened to see all the negative reviews. Despite the fact some people really do have gripes with the game, the majority are if you will 'fan-boys' who have clearly not even purchased the game, making a review on a whim. If in doubt ask a friend to reassure you. This game is not for everyone but has the largest appeal in the genre.
  28. Nov 13, 2012
    Big suprise here, same game as last year, and the year before, and the year before. It just feels so stale now. Not as disappointing as previous games, but only because I wasn't expecting much.
  29. Nov 13, 2012
    A massive disappointment, barely any better than Modern Warfare 3. How anyone can rate the same game a 9/10 is beyond me. Halo 4 is the only answer left in the FPS genre, don't be a casual, buy Halo 4.
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    Really wanted to like this game, but the core gameplay really lacks. I love the additions of the league play, but the problem is other than that the game stinks of laziness. Feels like MW3 not Black ops. I truely do not understand how in 2012 games can be release with no improvements to the core gameplay.
    Why not add dedicated servers like BF3? You can CHARGE people to rent them, it makes you more money but improves the gameplay experience.
    I loved COD but it is starting to show its age...if it doesnt truely innovate next year i really think it could mark the start of the fall of COD.

Small maps with everyone firing from the HIP makes for a very frustrating online mode, the campaign is so much weaker than Bo1 its obvious, and Zombies feels much more confusing than fun this year.

2. X-ONE Magazine UK