4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2047 Ratings

1. Dec 11, 2012
    I will start by saying I'm one of the people that doesn't partake in the annual map add-ons that Activision calls "Full Games" I still play World at War and Black Ops 1. I don't understand why a franchise that sells this much can't afford to do some real R&D and develop an excellent game through and through.

I tried playing the campaign it just had a more stale feeling to it than any of
    the other CoD's I've ever played, unexciting, I played half way through before I was so bored I couldn't take anymore, I've never been too much into the Multiplayer so I can't comment on that.

The only positive side I can mention is the Zombie mode but even that's a mixed bag, on one hand it's fun and interesting, although I'd like it better if those annoying flying babies could be turned off so exploring between areas was fun and strategic, but no, your stuck in these tiny areas.

The Zombie mode now requires friends to get anywhere, running around by yourself good luck with that not as fun as BO1 and WaW Zombie modes in my opinion, hopefully there DLC will breathe more light into the Zombie mode. They really didn't innovate anything here, and those parts where you command units and tell them where to go etc, feels worthless and thrown in as a last minute attempt to be "Different" which failed miserably.

I am done with the CoD series until they seriously do some work on it, these games have become bland and stale. So I will sum it up two stars only cause the Zombie mode is kind of fun (only when you have good people to play with) but the rest of this is a add-on with the CoD name slapped onto it.

Luckily, I didn't buy this game, I borrowed from my brother and had it for a few weeks. He to was disappointed and traded it in the second he got it back from me to get Far Cry 3 (Puts this game to shame). I know there's a lot to be said with the Cod and Halo series, but at least the Halo's aren't every single year, if your not going to change anything give us a break in between at least...
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    I can't believe I waited in line for this. Same game, a different year. It's barely different than the first black ops (and not much different than last year's mw3). The game uses the same tired engine, and the multiplayer is the same nonsense with killstreaks and auto-aim. The bots are brain-dead, and the game just feels the same as every one before it. I can't believe I wasted $60, and they want me to spend even more on dlc!? No way. Too bad I can't get a refund at gamestop, but I'll at least take whatever trade-in credit I can tomorrow morning. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is more of the same crap all over again I only hope people wake up and realize this game is out dated. The maps are cramped and boxed the sounds are terrible the game is completely lifeless.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    Same game , different year. Same dull and repetitive gameplay, singleplayer is on the rails with scripted events as usual.
    Multiplayer is repetitive as hell, 0 skill, 95% automaim . Great game for monkeys.
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    I am not sorry I had to put this but Treyarch always hypes up their games with great advertisements then there is the big disappointment when you buy the game, this game is pretty much Black Ops 1 with minor improvements in multiplayer. On the other hand there is Zombies which is great with the innovation but multiplayer is just outright HORRIBLE and Infinity Ward's Multiplayer will always be better regardless. Campaign is eh the usual. I just like Treyarch's Games for the Zombies sorry to tell you Simple Chart
    Multiplayer Singleplayer Other Gametype(Zombies/Spec Ops) -Infinity Ward -Infinity Ward -Treyarch
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    Same engine, Same formula, a few new guns... I'm not sold.

How year after year people flock to the new edition of the call of duty franchise I'm not sure. The best Modern Warfare game was the original, since then the franchise has gone slowly downhill with each new installation. I would advise people to stay away from this one and wait for it to hit the sale.
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    Buying Black Ops 2 is like buying a burger that has some sort of "add on" that makes it seem tastier. E.g. burger with added hot spicy onion rings or some special sauce.

Essentially you're purchasing the same game but with some minor tweaks.....

Black Ops 2- Futuristic setting, Multiple endings, Choose 2 choices in game which lead you back to the same linear path (i.e. rappel down
    and fight enemies in close quarter combat ? or be a sniper and support your allies?)

A good attempt at being innovative. Robots, future tech.... meh.................

Graphics- No changes

Multiplayer- Same thing

Zombies: Yeah, I admit this is better than Black Ops and fun with friends, but still.... meh

But at the end of the day, this is my opinion so don't be hating on me

Although I applaud Black Ops 2's marketing campaign of getting all these celebrities in one promo video, so that was good
  8. Dec 6, 2012
    Call of Duty Black Ops II is just **** in a box its somewhat incomplete having 10+ updates in the past 2 months to fix glitches and such and the campaign has a bad plot that it feels like it was ignored by treyarch and the gameplay is completely broken with little to none improvements.
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    I would like to say that this game is a decently made game; if it were still CoD 2... or Maybe CoD 3. The fact that this franchise has made SOOO MUCH MONEY!!! and yet almost none goes back into developing a better game. I rented this game, and was not impressed at all. I did a little comparison and put CoD BO on, and let my wife play it. I then let her play BO2. I then asked her if I could go buy BO2 after she played BO, her reply was "It really seems like the same game." I then agreed and decided it was not worth the 60 bucks. In my opinion this game is nothing more than a simple map pack with some minor changes they could issued through a patch for BO. It is by no means worth 60 dollars, I might look into it when the price comes down to about 20-30 US $. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    My Son and I purchased the Hardened edition and were so looking forward to it. It is a let down, the game play is too simular to Ghost Recon, and the maps might as well have been issued as map pack for Black Ops 1. I find the whole feel of this greatly dissapointing and feel I have totally waisted my money. My Son, after just 20 minutes, "Dad, its crap". Sorry. But if you know the previous maps you can even work out where they have just re-skinned them too. Look for launch forinstance, or Ait Plane wreck in COD 2, diverse examples of copied mapping. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    sever not availble for the last two days cant play online at all
    weak story and the online play that i have played was a clone of the other games
    the yearly update is getting old and every year the get it for the one new thing they add but this is the last time cod. has went the way of tony hawk and gutiar hero
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed in this game. Treyarch wanted to get rid of the thing a lot of people complained (Ghost) about in the previous Black Ops, that they completely ruined the game. UAV is instantly unlocked while Ghost is unlocked at lvl 55, coupled with the fact that you still appear on radar even with ghost unless your are sprinting makes any kind of stealth play impossible. They wanted to get rid of campers by splitting up the original ghost perk into 3 separate perks, but people still are gonna camp. Now te campers are just going to know exactly when your coming in so there going to be ready. How does this make any sense to anybody? The way the game plays right now is pretty much a giant split screen and everyone is screen looking because UAVs are being used so much that people are constantly on the radar, so people are always going to know if your coming around the corner. I've always played a run-n-gun stealth class in every recent cod game, now I can't do that because there really is no more stealth class. So now I'm force to play a horrible play style of running around like a idiot and just spraying at people hoping I my connection is better so I get the kill. Sounds like fun right?!? Thank you Treyarch for having me waste my money on your horrible game, and thank you because I'll never be buying another COD game ever... Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much, but I expected too much. The graphics would have been good, for 3 years ago. The campaign is weak like always and the Multiplayer is nothing new. Even the zombies, the one reason I had faith has been ruined. Tranzit is fun, but that's all there really is. Nobody in there right mind could possibly like this game.
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    the real score and the real quality of this game is around 4. But I give 1 against treyach and activision mentality. well, regarding the quality of the game, what I can say is : the game is outdated with indecent graphycs a boring story, stupid characters and a sp campaign structured on stupid, fast ride and mindless mission on rails that lasts 5 hours. If you are searching for a solid fps well structured in single player campaign, with an open world or sandbox missions or freeroaming DON'T BUY COD Blackops2, DON'T waste your money or rent it for a day and wait for farcry3 release or go out and buy the best fps yet available of this year: borderlands 2. The single player campiagn is only an excuse to sell this game at 60 bucks, but in reality the lenght is like a dlc of the previous Cod:black ops. Cod: Blops2 is only for fanboys multiplayer addicted, but warning because the multiplayer mode isn't perfect and has actually connection issues. Expand
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm a 34 y/o guy that is a huge of shooters but if you think this is an improvement, you are nucking futs! The graphics are terrible and they borrowed the color scheme from Serious Sam. Multiplayer is king these days and the pick 10 system does not redefine this title. The levels are small, easily campable and just plain dull and boring. I give it 1 for how smooth it feels but could not shake the feeling like I was getting killed when I clearly had the upper hand in gun battles. I've already lost interest here after 2 days of trying to give it a chance. I hate HALO but i'm trading in BO2 in for it today. Expand
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    all that was good has been taken away,to be replaced by very weak components,the actual MP gameplay is good,let down with a poor perks system,ugly playercards,a league play system that can put you in leagues you've no hope in,weapons aren't great,although attachments are an improvement,quick scoping and lag make a return,it doesn't have that addictive feel,that makes you play more,to get that next unlockable item,challenges don't pull you in either,it could have been so much more,they were so hell bent on change,they never stopped to think if they should Expand
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    this game wasnt really that as good as people say it is. it is the same thing as all of the other call of duty games. if they wanted to kill zombies they can play resident evil games or left 4 dead games. so i feel this name needs to get tweaked in order for it to be ranked higher than it is.
  18. Nov 22, 2012
    Same game as any other Call of Duty after COD 4, adds absolutely nothing new. Campaign fells like a boring B-movie. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money.
  19. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is an absolute waste of money. The multiplayer gameplay is nothing new from any other cod game and the online servers are not only poor quality but the lag in games and terrible respawn locations make the game unbearable. It's impossible to have a good K/D because the lag times. I have never been so disappointed with a game purchase and I'd rather pay GameStop to take this game back than play another minute of it. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. in this review i'll write about both the campaign and the multiplayer but i'll start with the campaign. i personally like the campaigns story line, i always love it when sequels link there old characters into there new games (etc. borderlands 2) and it all seemed to link together very smoothly. however i found the ending extremely unsatisfying mainly due to the fact that after you capture Menendez the game just ends without providing any insight as to why the Russian's wont attack which personally i think sort of makes capturing Menendez completely pointless. Now onto the online play. IT IS AWFUL. in the first week or so i enjoyed it, it seemed to flow freely and people hadn't discovered any overpowered weapons but then by about 2 weeks in everyone discovered the power of smg's and snipers because smg's seem to have little to no recoil, a huge amount of damage and they have kept there fast draw ability which more or less means smg's are there king of combat in this game, Also something which i dont like in the slightest is the sniping of this game. In the last few CoD the sniping had been awful due to small maps which meant that even though they were almost unusable, they weren't completely overpowered, in THIS CoD however they had made sniping a joke if you hit someone in the top half of there body they will die and it just takes all of the skill out of sniping. in my view CoD needs to take a page out of BF's sniping as BF provides snipers with an extremely powerful gun but makes it hard to hit people like a true it should be. to sum this up quickly its a complete disgrace the fact critics have betrayed gamer's once again by promising us great online play and hugely improved game play in just don't buy this garbage for me the only thing which saves it from a zero is the fact the campaign adjusts to your decisions.if you hunger for a first person shooter i would spring for battlefield 3 or halo 4 (i 'm sure there are other games you could buy instead of this one, those are just the two that spring to mind) this is more a personal note rather than part of the review hence why i added it last, this is my message to Treyarc and any future companies that develop call of duty games, please just stick to WWII games it seems like those were the games you were good at rather than this BO and MW **** you keep on regurgitating Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2012
    Game sucks major. I figured the multiplayer wouldn't be that good, but I thought the Zombies would give it some value, nope. They tweeked something in the Zombies, it doesn't feel the same, headshots don't connect like they should, it doesn't feel right. There's to much fog in zombies, and there's this lava **** everywhere you go. It's just really lame, I don't see how anyone could like this game. There have been some improvements in the multiplayer, the perk system is better for sure, I like the Snipers much more. The problem is as usual, the spawn system which gets worse with each game, the small cramped levels with hard to see periphrial views, to many hills, to many corners and sneak spots. The multiplayer just is the same every level, tight corners with first to get the lucky draw, depending on the variables of game connections and luck of the **** game engine draw. Game is fun for about 10 minutes, then it just feels like a badly made generic replay of previous games, trust me it's not worth the time in your life. Expand
  22. Nov 30, 2012
    Campaign and zombies are just "ok" in this game. They are fun while they last, but get very old quickly. Multi-player is a lost cause at this point (on XBOX at least, not sure about other platforms). Spawns, lag, hit detection, and community have ruined what could have been a fun game. Recommend NOT buying this game.
  23. Dec 17, 2012
    Absolute drivel. I can't believe I bought into this franchise again after MW3. This is a terrible incarnation, the time to kill is pretty much instant which little to no room for maneuverability. Boring! I miss BlOPs1 and MW2. Singleplayer not played.
  24. Dec 12, 2012
    So I bought it two weeks ago and think I've played it enough times to get a good feel for this game... this game is absolutely full of, well, what's a good word for it; injustice.. This game is poor for so many reasons; I'll list a few:

- The lag is unbelievable, I've run a 4 bar maybe once or twice in the two weeks I've had it, and I've never been in a lobby where everyone has a 4
    bar... this results in you putting ten bullets into a guy or blasting his face with a shotgun and then you fall over dead.. You watch the kill cam and apparently you never fired a single shot..

- The guns are so illogically unfair.. as per usual, the sub-machine guns are overpowered beyond belief, and the thing is they're randomly inconsistent; you can get two hit markers from long range and kill a guy or get 5 hit markers from close range and they'll just shoot you once and you'll die.. Completely unrealistic... the pistols are way too powerful as well, the concept that a revolver can deliver a one shot kill but a high powered assault rifle can't is just beyond illogical. The sniper have no recoil at all, they're ridiculous. In short, the weapons are completely terrible.

- You have to unlock attachments for you gun... this mean that any gun that's worth it's salt with a few attachments is going to lead you on a miserable experience to actually unlock them.

- The equipment is bogus. For instance, the bouncy Betty is just an absolute garbage piece of equipment. I think I've been killed by my own bouncing betty more than I've gotten kills with it; for instance, you throw it down and then some guy runs right over it and it doesn't set off and you're like "?!?!!?" so then you decide, "well, better chase him down and kill him" and then all of the sudden the thing goes off and kills you as you pass it trying to chase him down. It's just beyond aggravating...

- Heat seeking grenades; just like in the first black ops but even worse, If someone throws a grenade near you it will roll at you no matter what... it will hop up stairs and roll up hills at you just to make sure you get killed...

- Terrible maps.... the maps are just as convoluted and camp-promoting as MW3, just completely f.u.b.a.r. setups and people will literally just sit in corners all day and just wait for you.. - The target finder; this could be the most ridiculous attachment in the game... people will just slap this no-talent thing on, find a nice place to pitch a tent, and just wreak havoc on you all game and you cant do anything about it. It's beyond unfair...

- Knifing... they couldn't get this right if they tried; knifing is so far from being realistic that I don't even know why I'm typing this, you already know knifing will always be terrible... basically you need to walk up the person, shake their hand, buy 'em a drink pull out the knife, put it to their neck and ask permission to kill them.. that's how hard knifing is in this game, I mean the commando knife lunge has been cut down but anyone who is used to black ops 1 is going to out of luck when they swing the knife and just can't get a kill...

- Spawns are absolute nonsense, there is nothing better than spawning, getting killed, spawning, getting killed, spawning, getting killed...

So basically this is how a multiplayer match will go
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    This is probaby the worst iteration of COD. The Single player is a throw away and has added nothing to the series. MP the main reason to buy the game and it has the most problems of any COD. Its fundamentally broken since the online experience is nearly unplayable. All the issues with lag means you instantly die with one bullet, while you can unload a full clip into them and hit air.
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    horrible game loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    Well, what can you really say about this damn series?... Not much, they have such a simple and effective cash grabbing formula for these games every year. All they do is make sure they show how "new" and "improved" their next game is, and hype it to oblivion. But when you get the game, you realize it is nothing new, and they just sucked your wallet dry. I also have to mention that the developers cannot take criticism, and will hold comments for approval just to make sure the no one says anything bad about their precious game. They probably masturbate to a picture of David Vonderhaar everyday. Expand
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    I lost my money The graphics are awful the story is horrile and idiot, withouth a good meaning...
    I think this game was for Ps2 or gameboy when I was playing...
    Horrible, negative
    The multiplayer is just annoying with many abilities in advantage for the players who unloked the good weapons and powers... but in compare to the campaign is better
    I would have buy a random game instead of this
  29. Feb 4, 2013
    This game is the same thing as all the other Call of duties, but with different graphics. Maybe if they added new stuff it would get something better than a 4.4 as its score. However despite all that i did like the zombies, but not enough to bring the score up any.
  30. Apr 16, 2013
    To summarise the whole game: it is weakest, most repetitive shooter to date. I don't even know why people invest to this franchise, but it is certainly not improving anything. The game contains an awful network of under-aged players, it is lacking visual aesthetics, it's poor story makes me want to puke, there is no destructible environment, too much DLC and the list goes on and on. It is sad when such franchise gets compared to Arma or Battlefield franchises, since it's the most pathetic copy paste game the developers made money on. So stop bloody buying it! Expand

2. Jan 19, 2013