6.1

1. Nov 12, 2011
    it needed a few fixes, it lacked coop missions a la special ops, but overall it's the best multiplayer experience so far. Worlds better than MW2 and universes better than MW3. Black Ops deserves praise.
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Favourite COD to date. Got everything right, besides some unbalanced guns. (meh) Gives every type of player the ability to play how they want.. Very rushed based to! : ) When BO first came out I would have given it a 3 or 4. But after a year and seeing MW3's huge diappointment, I will give this a solid 10!! great game treyarch! hurry up with BO 2!!!
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Never Bothered with Single player, whats the point. They are all too short and usually suck anyway. Having played Modern Warfare and MW2 I thought I would pick this up... Graphically, It should have been a $15 XBOX LIVE download title. HUGE step in the wrong direction. Lots of cool options keep the multiplayer fun. Small maps keep the combat fast, but you are always in range of someoneNever Bothered with Single player, whats the point. They are all too short and usually suck anyway. Having played Modern Warfare and MW2 I thought I would pick this up... Graphically, It should have been a $15 XBOX LIVE download title. HUGE step in the wrong direction. Lots of cool options keep the multiplayer fun. Small maps keep the combat fast, but you are always in range of someone camping on the other side of the map. I was very disappointed when I bought it after hearing from friends and family how awesome it was, traded it in with in the 2nd week. I went back to playing the previous Battlefield. Maybe it could have been fun if I had never played a previous CoD game in the past, but like i said it looked awful and i felt like i had got shafted paying for an obviously dated add on to possibly an original xbox or ps2 game Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2012
    This is the best Call of Duty yet. It is diverse and balanced compared to any other one, and everythign about it is fun, just bought MW3, it's nothing compared to this game
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    Black Ops was an interesting experience. I enjoyed the campaign, it actually was enjoyable, made sense, and had somewhat of a coherent plot. This game was well made and well thought out. Multiplayer is amazing! Recommend this game out of any CoD game out there!
  6. May 7, 2012
    This is a game you have to get, it is a must buy. It has a great story, and outstanding graphics. The multiplayer is fun, and awesome. Zombies is great, the maps are awesome, my favorite is moon. This is a must buy people!
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    This is a great game, i did not like World at War, but treyarch has definetly cleaned up. the campain is amazing the multiplayer is just as good, zombies are back and its the best looking call of duty to date, the reason i i dont give it a 10 though is because its just missing that chemistry between character and story line or somthing that i cant very well put my finger on, but that theThis is a great game, i did not like World at War, but treyarch has definetly cleaned up. the campain is amazing the multiplayer is just as good, zombies are back and its the best looking call of duty to date, the reason i i dont give it a 10 though is because its just missing that chemistry between character and story line or somthing that i cant very well put my finger on, but that the Modern warfares possess that make you wanna say "OH SH*T:D" isnt here but, by golly its a darn good game Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people are complaining about this game. The multilayer is more balanced than in any installment in call of duty. They got rid of stopping power, martyrdom, danger close, and juggernaut. For that reason alone this title is better than MW2.
  9. Nov 9, 2010
    With a much improved campaign, expansive zombie mode and a deeply enriched multiplayer, Call of Duty: Black Ops not only delivers as an excellent addition to the series, but maybe the best among the other CoD games.
  10. Nov 10, 2010
    In the multiplayer aspect, which is what nearly all Call of Duty players play the most, Call of Duty: Black Ops does not disappoint. For those who were disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, do not let that stop you from trying out this game. It seems like one of Treyarch's biggest goals with Black Ops was to succeed where Modern Warfare 2 failed, and they certainly pulled it off in thatIn the multiplayer aspect, which is what nearly all Call of Duty players play the most, Call of Duty: Black Ops does not disappoint. For those who were disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, do not let that stop you from trying out this game. It seems like one of Treyarch's biggest goals with Black Ops was to succeed where Modern Warfare 2 failed, and they certainly pulled it off in that respect. There is a wide variety of weapons and weapon attachments, including some brand new ones, equipment, and either new or improved perks. The weapons are less "overpowered" than many fans of the series saw Black Ops' predecessor to be, and there are also less "random deaths". And on top of that, there are new "wager match" game modes where you can put your COD Points (in-game currency) on the line in order to win more currency. These modes are extremely adrenaline-pumping and fun.

In short, if you liked or loved the Call of Duty series before Modern Warfare 2 or if you still loved it when Modern Warfare 2 was released, you will most certainly consider this to be the best Call of Duty game to date.
  11. Nov 11, 2010
    Yet another dissapointment hyped up pile of yack. Really (although it won't happen) we need to boycott these rubbish developers and stop buying thier sub par graphics and gamplay. As already mentioned it's like playing a game from 6 years ago with glitchy textures to boot, waste of money.
  12. Nov 14, 2010
    I can't put my controller down, the awesomeness got a hold of me. Single player and multiplayer is just the best i've seen of any fps nuff said; good job IF!!
  13. Nov 9, 2010
    I don't get all the negative user reviews. Clunky controls? Its the same setup modern warfare 2 had. Bad graphics? Graphics are amazing. The campaign is great and so is the nazi zombies. The only reason I did not give it a ten is that it requires you to be online for the combat training. I can't get online so I would have loved to play with bots on the map. Anyway, best call of duty yet.
  14. Nov 11, 2010
    I've played Call of Duty religiously online since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. In fact Call of Duty is what caused me to start playing console games again. I've purchased and played every one that has been released since then and enjoyed them all. However, out of all the previous editions of Call of Duty, the ones made by Treyarch have traditionally been awful. Call of Duty 3 wasI've played Call of Duty religiously online since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. In fact Call of Duty is what caused me to start playing console games again. I've purchased and played every one that has been released since then and enjoyed them all. However, out of all the previous editions of Call of Duty, the ones made by Treyarch have traditionally been awful. Call of Duty 3 was horrible, and World at War wasn't as good as Call of Duty 4.

Then Modern Warfare 2 came out. Gamers were in awe with mega killstreaks, tons of unlockables, Modern Warfare 2 seemed absolutely unable to be topped. However, slowly, in game glitches were found. Very, very annoying in game glitches. And what really made me angry about it was that it took Infinity Ward so long to patch these glitches. Leaderboards were hacked. People played game types such as Headquarters or Domination just to get kills and not actually play the game type so their kill/death spreads would go up. Modern Warfare 2 slowly transformed to people doing one of three things.
    1)Quick Scoping (which is way easier than no-scoping)
    2)Noob Tubing with Danger Close and Scavenger
    3)Running around with Commando Pro and Marathon
    These three things, not to mention all the Javelin and 1887 problems just made Modern Warfare 2 unbearable to play online. Not only was it horrible, the game was also hacked countless times by people who wanted to get to 10th prestige without actually earning it.

I had lost all faith in Call of Duty, and now Treyarch was making one. I thought that the end of Call of Duty had come, and we'd never see the game again after Modern Warfare 2.

But then Treyarch started showing videos of the multiplayer. No more Stopping Power, no more Danger Close, and I thought to myself, well that seems pretty cool. And then the big one, no more Commando or Quick Scoping. I thought it was brilliant! Modern Warfare 2 just had so many things that made the game unbalanced and unplayable after a while.

And then Black Ops came out, and now even the Leaderboards have been changed to rank you based on how you play as opposed to just camping and getting kills! As far as a multiplayer game goes, it's brilliant, the best one since Call of Duty 4 in balancing and fun! The fact that you have to earn the money to buy things is also brilliant and new.

They brought back the Skorpion and AK-74, and made Shotguns primary weapons again, like they always should have been. I mean what's the point in having a pistol as a secondary when you had the choice of a shotgun instead?

Modern Warfare 2's campaign was also awful. Treyarch has made a very, very good campaign that is quite possibly the best in the entire Call of Duty series, but I'll not spoil anything.

Also zombies are back, which was one of my favorite things about World at War.

So far, this game has been outstanding. So unless you're one of those kids who has a modded XBOX and thrives off of hacking leaderboards, go out and buy this game, you won't regret it.

Thank you Treyarch for actually listening to gamers when making this game.
  15. ALL
    Nov 13, 2010
    This game could have been a lot better. All the LMG's have way too much recoil, even with a grip on. The spawn points in multiplayer are awful, and that's if you can even get in a game with your group. With a group of 5 or more it takes at least 6 attempts, or you can wait and sit in the room while it tells you that it's searching for one more player to balance teams. Once it does findThis game could have been a lot better. All the LMG's have way too much recoil, even with a grip on. The spawn points in multiplayer are awful, and that's if you can even get in a game with your group. With a group of 5 or more it takes at least 6 attempts, or you can wait and sit in the room while it tells you that it's searching for one more player to balance teams. Once it does find one player, after waiting 10+ minutes, it will tell you that it needs 2 more to balance teams. The lack of online co-op campaign was a real let down. The Zombies matches are ok, but more of a gimmick. The graphics for the multiplayer are not anywhere near what Infinity Ward has ever offered. I'll be trading this back in in a week or two. Treyarch should stick to what it knows best, producing dated Tony Hawk games. Expand
  16. Nov 15, 2010
    the best call of duty game to date. treyarch made a great game, keep it up guys. for me this lived up to all the hype. and the wager games are incredible.
  17. Nov 28, 2010
    PROS--Intense and Involving Campaign, with a well-done story; little details on guns are cool; new setting for campaign(not WWII or MW) CONS--Graphics are worse than MW2; not much new multiplayer stuff (more of the same); maps are not well done; Zombies has not changed at all; lack of support for offline play; Lags and bugs online; level system AND CoD points dont go well together.PROS--Intense and Involving Campaign, with a well-done story; little details on guns are cool; new setting for campaign(not WWII or MW) CONS--Graphics are worse than MW2; not much new multiplayer stuff (more of the same); maps are not well done; Zombies has not changed at all; lack of support for offline play; Lags and bugs online; level system AND CoD points dont go well together. OVERALL: If you want more of the same, then buy it. Otherwise, you should buy it when it is 30 bucks, cause that's how much it is worth. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2010
    Im really disapointed but at the same time i feel sorry for treyarch considering they have had some big shoes to fill against infinity ward but starting with the good stuff the online experience is very good different and most of the maps are decent and being able to buy your perks and guns through cp is agood idea too. Now the bad stuff... the campaign was average a good story but theIm really disapointed but at the same time i feel sorry for treyarch considering they have had some big shoes to fill against infinity ward but starting with the good stuff the online experience is very good different and most of the maps are decent and being able to buy your perks and guns through cp is agood idea too. Now the bad stuff... the campaign was average a good story but the same epic feel i get when i play modern warfare 2 and cod4 their was something more special about the feeling when you play with soap cpt price etc. u feel more inrolled with the game, at lot of first person shooting with very very little vechile control included which is the right to go with call of duty unfortunately treyarch included a lot of vechile controlled missions which i hated. There was tooo many way to many epic moments in black ops and i felt as though the game was doing most of those moments for me especially the ending and i was feeling more and more like i just wante to know the ending and thats it. whereas MW2 their was an objective the whole way and 1 twist in Sheppard turning againt you i was building more and more excitement towards the endand the ending itself in MW2 was really well done with nikoli and price expertly leading onto mw3. I think and really hope that infinity ward make the next mw3 because they know best. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2010
    ALLLLLLLLLL HYPE.

ALLLLLLLLLL HYPE.

Farmer ate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of you killing you and you don't hear anything!!! I would not **** as much if the game was at least fluid , but it controls clunky and just like WAW!! They just used the same mechanics with new guns that's all! And since they used the same graphics engine from more than 2 years ago and they tried to add more detail they ended up making everything blurry it looks almost like you're playing in standard definition TV and also as a result causing the game's frame rate to constantly drop giving you a headache if you play too long. This is coming from a guy that has played previous installments to death and was very much looking forward to this one. I'm so angry and disappointED . I mean Activision should have the funds to make a graphics engine from the ground up and could have made the game run and look at least as smooth as MW2. Now we're stuck with a mediocre COD game until who knows!!!!!
  20. Nov 9, 2010
    When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak,When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak, considering how the game often will respawn you in a spot that can get you immediately picked off without warning. Another major issue with multiplayer are the servers, which disconnect very frequently and disrupt gameplay. And frequently is about maybe once per every other game or so. This was written after only a single day live, so that issue may change in due time. For now though, the game gets an 8, server problems holding it back from any higher. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2010
  22. Nov 10, 2010
    Easily my favorite Call of Duty, definitely after the lack of depth in MW2, the graphics are a bit of a step back I think from MW2, but in no way interfere with the game.
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    What did Treyarch do with all the Hardcore modes? Also, why do I have to wait until level 19 to play Hardcore? I know it's only 19 levels, but playing on Hardcore on previous CoD installments has made me accustomed to that style of play. So I play 19 levels (screaming "!#$@ Core!" countless times) and unlock Hardcore just to find out there are only 3 modes: S&D, Team Deathmatch and FFA.What did Treyarch do with all the Hardcore modes? Also, why do I have to wait until level 19 to play Hardcore? I know it's only 19 levels, but playing on Hardcore on previous CoD installments has made me accustomed to that style of play. So I play 19 levels (screaming "!#$@ Core!" countless times) and unlock Hardcore just to find out there are only 3 modes: S&D, Team Deathmatch and FFA. WTF? Where's HQ? No Ricochet modes in Hardcore at all? I give it a 7 because it's great fun (like most CoD games) and the soundtrack is awesome (reminds me of Dynasty Warriors). I also like the purchasing of attachments so you don't have to sift through a pile of **** just to get the one you want. All in all it's a great game so far I just hope to God they add more Hardcore modes. Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2010
    What can i say that the others haven't already? I've been playing all of the cod's for years and this one keeps me coming back for more just like the others did. Love the customization, the theater mode is incredible, and the zombies kick ass as usual. If you don't like zombies, don't complain about it to us. We zombie lovers don't want to hear your whining asses cry about it one moreWhat can i say that the others haven't already? I've been playing all of the cod's for years and this one keeps me coming back for more just like the others did. Love the customization, the theater mode is incredible, and the zombies kick ass as usual. If you don't like zombies, don't complain about it to us. We zombie lovers don't want to hear your whining asses cry about it one more second. We pure fps shooter fans know that this game is quality, and that's all that matters. Yes, the graphics are a little dated, but they are still more than acceptable by this gamer. Buy it with a smile on your face knowing it's money well invested in countless hours of vicious gameplay. My GOTY selection for sure. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is everything I'd hoped 4. They have taken everything great about this series and taken it up[ 2 a whole new leval. It just makes one wonder where the next one will go to top it but I'll look forward to finding out. Its pretty interesting the range of user reviews here to btw. It seems to vary between people who actually played the game and appreciated it for what it is and theThis game is everything I'd hoped 4. They have taken everything great about this series and taken it up[ 2 a whole new leval. It just makes one wonder where the next one will go to top it but I'll look forward to finding out. Its pretty interesting the range of user reviews here to btw. It seems to vary between people who actually played the game and appreciated it for what it is and the rest seem to be just lookn 4 something 2 hate on and mostly sound childish and resentful. Especially the ones who go out of their way 2 give this a 1 rating and then say how inferior it is 2 MW2 and nobody should buy it. I suspect theres alot of kids who cant afford 2 get this yet & hate that the MW2 community that they've investd so much $$ in is gonna be a virtual ghost town now. Get over it, theres a new king in town !! Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2010
    Where to begin... Well first off this game is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Modern Warfare 2. I do not understand why people keep saying 'If you have MW2, keep it!'. MW2 was a HORRIBLE multilayer game. MW2 had nothing on CoD4. I did not like WaW that much and was not too into Treyarch at all. BUT now I Treyarch took me for a spin! Black Ops so far has been one of the best and most fun FPS gamesWhere to begin... Well first off this game is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Modern Warfare 2. I do not understand why people keep saying 'If you have MW2, keep it!'. MW2 was a HORRIBLE multilayer game. MW2 had nothing on CoD4. I did not like WaW that much and was not too into Treyarch at all. BUT now I Treyarch took me for a spin! Black Ops so far has been one of the best and most fun FPS games I have ever played. I enjoy it as much as I did CoD4 and that takes ALOT for me to say that! So far the campaign is AMAZING and I am not far at all. Zombies is 10x better than WaW zombies. And the multi player... Is very fun too! Love how the guns actually sound more 'realistic'. Love love love the Create a Class 2.0. I like how you can buy your attachments and perks so you don't have to be a certain level to achieve a perk because that was lame in the other CoDs. This game is FUN! There is just too much to say about the positives of this game (like kill streak kills not adding on to your kill streak!) Why didn't they do that in every CoD!? Keeps like punks from camping to just get kill streaks. Pros: Campaign, Zombies, Combat Training, & Multi player Kill Streak Change Create a Class 2.0 WAYYYYY more balance than MW2 MUCH MUCH MUCH More Cons: No game is perfect by all means.. But I have yet to see anything I can complain about in this game. Recommend: YES I highly recommend this game! Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2010
    Honestly, its an 8.5/9 but with people giving it a zero for no reason I had to up the score. Campaign can be a little disjointed, but overall is compelling and the cut scenes make you want to continue playing. The arcade zombie and normal zombie mode are fun side games to just shot some fairly intelligent AI with friends. Multiplayer is a little slower and methodical than previous games.Honestly, its an 8.5/9 but with people giving it a zero for no reason I had to up the score. Campaign can be a little disjointed, but overall is compelling and the cut scenes make you want to continue playing. The arcade zombie and normal zombie mode are fun side games to just shot some fairly intelligent AI with friends. Multiplayer is a little slower and methodical than previous games. The sound (low to no footstep noise) is a little annoying, but Treyarch is looking into it. Sniping isn't ruined as some claim, it just requires more patience. You are rewarded for playing more mutliplayer...but isn't that the point? The graphics are a little low in terms of human models, but I am getting higher fps. All the "slowness" people are referring too is just server lag due to the massive amount of people playing over the past two days. This is obviously not the worst game ever as a 0 means...its also not the unicorn of gaming. Something along those lines is never gonna happen, you cannot please every single person and avoid every single bug. This is a solid game that is packed with content and has a rewards system to keep you busy for months to come. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system pipping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  29. Jun 3, 2011
    Terrible in every aspect. Themultiplayer is so dull, and repetitive it makes you want to commit. Want a decent FPS? Buy BBC2 Vietnam. Biggest letdown of the century. Period.
  30. Nov 11, 2010
    By Far the best Call of Duty Game I've ever played. The Campaign is Excellent, The Multiplayer is Outstanding and any game that lets me play a JFK killing zombies is just freaking Epic ! And if its not enough you get lots of secrets giving you more solid extras for a $59.99. It might not be a MW2 but when it comes to to a SAW-scenes, Hours killing people around the world and dead politicsBy Far the best Call of Duty Game I've ever played. The Campaign is Excellent, The Multiplayer is Outstanding and any game that lets me play a JFK killing zombies is just freaking Epic ! And if its not enough you get lots of secrets giving you more solid extras for a $59.99. It might not be a MW2 but when it comes to to a SAW-scenes, Hours killing people around the world and dead politics killing for some reason Nazis dead people you can't ask for more. Expand
  31. Nov 11, 2010
    Ah, franchise annualization. Black Ops' campaign is just as satisfying as Modern Warfare 2's - you won't be doing as many interesting things, but it is longer, self-contained, and more cogent. There's a Zombie Mode and a top-down shooter thrown in for good measure, but neither are as fun as MW2's Spec Ops Mode. The multiplayer feels lacking - from levels 16 to 29 (6 hours of play-time) IAh, franchise annualization. Black Ops' campaign is just as satisfying as Modern Warfare 2's - you won't be doing as many interesting things, but it is longer, self-contained, and more cogent. There's a Zombie Mode and a top-down shooter thrown in for good measure, but neither are as fun as MW2's Spec Ops Mode. The multiplayer feels lacking - from levels 16 to 29 (6 hours of play-time) I didn't change a single loadout - so while I was unlocking items in MW2 for months, I had experienced 80% of the items in multiplayer within a few hours. The guns have much more recoil to boot, so mid- to long-range combat is more of a dice roll than with Infinity Ward's last game. Black Ops is a good game, but not as necessary a purchase as Modern Warfare 2 was. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2010
    Some of the scores given here by fellow gamers are stupid.Black Ops isn`t the best in the series as that goes to Modern Warfare 2,but this is a decent effort.The campaign has a good story although it is very short.The mutliplayer is decent,but for me not a patch on MW2 as some of the maps seem more camper friendly than ever and the respawn system can be a pain in the backside.Some of theSome of the scores given here by fellow gamers are stupid.Black Ops isn`t the best in the series as that goes to Modern Warfare 2,but this is a decent effort.The campaign has a good story although it is very short.The mutliplayer is decent,but for me not a patch on MW2 as some of the maps seem more camper friendly than ever and the respawn system can be a pain in the backside.Some of the weapons feel a little odd and i feel like they lack abit of punch,and they feel kinda light to me,but they are the only failings to me.People putting scores of 1 are just stupid in my honest opinion.Black Ops isn`t groundbreaking,but it's a decent effort by Treyarch.Although Infinity Ward still have the edge on the development side of the COD franchise.If you want a mix of Modern warfare 1 and World At War then this is for you,if not then don't bother. Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2010
    I've never been a CoD fan. I wanted to try this one out, and compare it to the 'bEsT gAmE eVaR' Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer plays exactly like it, but sadly worse. I could never find a match with my friends, I had to search myself and it still took minutes to find a match. Maps are fine, still a wonderful camping site. Zombies is still fun, but gets old VERY fast. Don't make us unlockI've never been a CoD fan. I wanted to try this one out, and compare it to the 'bEsT gAmE eVaR' Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer plays exactly like it, but sadly worse. I could never find a match with my friends, I had to search myself and it still took minutes to find a match. Maps are fine, still a wonderful camping site. Zombies is still fun, but gets old VERY fast. Don't make us unlock the last few maps, thats just stupid. So what I'm trying to say here is that it is just a rehash of MW2, but with zombies. Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2010
    Legitimate opinions aside, there are a lot of people giving this game bad scores for the wrong reasons... and ludicrously low scores at that. This is slightly reflected in my score, trying to restore a tiny portion of balance, tacking an extra point or so on to the score... but the game does deserve high praise. It's got a great campaign and a fun multiplayer experience. It's only flawsLegitimate opinions aside, there are a lot of people giving this game bad scores for the wrong reasons... and ludicrously low scores at that. This is slightly reflected in my score, trying to restore a tiny portion of balance, tacking an extra point or so on to the score... but the game does deserve high praise. It's got a great campaign and a fun multiplayer experience. It's only flaws are few and they lay on the multiplayer side of things, as far as I'm concerned. As far as I can see there's a lack of an option along the lines of Halo: Reach's "Psych Profile," which would make playing online more pleasant... if I could only set it up to filter out people with headsets. Expand
  35. Nov 16, 2010
    Not good. Compared to what Infinity Ward has done, Treyarch really shouldnt be making games like this anymore. The very first thing I noticed were the graphics, at the very least the should be identical to Modern Warfare 2, but theyre not. Theyre worse. Second thing was the sound, listen to how a napalm strike sounds and you'll think you're playing a side scroller on a playstation one. AndNot good. Compared to what Infinity Ward has done, Treyarch really shouldnt be making games like this anymore. The very first thing I noticed were the graphics, at the very least the should be identical to Modern Warfare 2, but theyre not. Theyre worse. Second thing was the sound, listen to how a napalm strike sounds and you'll think you're playing a side scroller on a playstation one. And lastly, what did they improve on? remote control cars? really? come on, i'm sick of every other call of duty sucking.. Expand
  36. cee
    Nov 24, 2010
    Not sure why users are giving this one a bad review. This is a solid game, we've just played too much COD in the past few years. This is definately worth the money.
  37. Jul 17, 2011
    At this point, I think COD Black Ops is mostly riding on Multiplayer. The single player campaign was a disgrace--I actually felt embarrassed for Treyarch--who designed that ? Didn't anyone from Treyarch actually play the solo campaign? Everyone I know who's played it has found right away all the silly loops you get stuck on, or the wonderful "Barrel of Fail" where what--I don't hit oneAt this point, I think COD Black Ops is mostly riding on Multiplayer. The single player campaign was a disgrace--I actually felt embarrassed for Treyarch--who designed that ? Didn't anyone from Treyarch actually play the solo campaign? Everyone I know who's played it has found right away all the silly loops you get stuck on, or the wonderful "Barrel of Fail" where what--I don't hit one button right and I'll never get past the level? That's a mistake, not real gameplay. And as most have pointed out, multiplayer is just a new skin of COD MW2 --except with maps that seem a little less thought out. I sure hope MW3 brings something new to the table b/c this is getting a little old especially for the $. Don't even get me started on the Expansion maps that cost a third of the game itself! Expand
  38. Apr 11, 2011
    In my opinion the story campaign is about as clever as CoD is ever likely to be. Good to see Zombies return. My one major gripe being that the multiplayer side of the game is horrible, we can all complain about there being no dedicated servers, but this really makes an impact on the core part of gameplay, the shooting. Bullet registration is beyond a joke, it seems like half the time youIn my opinion the story campaign is about as clever as CoD is ever likely to be. Good to see Zombies return. My one major gripe being that the multiplayer side of the game is horrible, we can all complain about there being no dedicated servers, but this really makes an impact on the core part of gameplay, the shooting. Bullet registration is beyond a joke, it seems like half the time you are lucky to make your mark and even if you try and evade your enemy by running round a corner the bullets are likely to follow you. All in all story campaign, yes, Multiplayer no! Expand
  39. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is pathetic. I'd say it was a let down but I didn't expect much. The only reason I play COD is because it's ally m friends play for weeks after it comes out. I hate that the COD franchise is the flagship of gaming. It' such a disgrace and i miss the days when good games were what brought people to gaming. Not this junk that gets spit out in front of it that is always the sameThis game is pathetic. I'd say it was a let down but I didn't expect much. The only reason I play COD is because it's ally m friends play for weeks after it comes out. I hate that the COD franchise is the flagship of gaming. It' such a disgrace and i miss the days when good games were what brought people to gaming. Not this junk that gets spit out in front of it that is always the same game with new skin and a new title. I mean look at halo. In every sinlge one of their new games, they made leaps and bounds and pushed their limits. Even someone who doesn't like halo has to admit that the games are very different from one another and the graphics are at least always upgraded from the previous installment, unlike this game. Don't waste your money. I don'tlike anything in the cod franchise other than number 2, but if you really want a copy of black ops, just take a sharpy, write black ops on the cover of your modern warfare 2 case, and scratch the disc a little so it doesn't run as smooth. And bam, you just got your very own copy of black ops for free.

Whole franchise is whack as hell.
  40. Nov 9, 2010
    Black Ops is amazing! The campaign story is meh, but with zombie mode, and extremely great graphics, im surprised with these users! Go Black Ops!! :-)
  41. Nov 10, 2010
    My main complaint is Graphics. Why release a new game in the series when it actually looks a lot worse than the last installment? Treyarch failed to deliever good looking game. I just played CoD4 and it actually looks better than this game. And I'm not even talking about MW2. Just look at those gun models! They look cheap, the same as WaW! Not recommending that game to anyone.
  42. Nov 11, 2010
    What the hell happened to this game! It used to be greatness on a disc now itâ
  43. Nov 10, 2010
    All this game feels like is that Treyarch is getting a piggy back ride from Infinity Ward. The game still feels of the old eras like World At War and it still feels like they have taken everything from infinity ward and added in a few more things here and there, personalized it and called it a game. When in reality, they add remote controlled toy cars, guided rockets, flame throwers andAll this game feels like is that Treyarch is getting a piggy back ride from Infinity Ward. The game still feels of the old eras like World At War and it still feels like they have taken everything from infinity ward and added in a few more things here and there, personalized it and called it a game. When in reality, they add remote controlled toy cars, guided rockets, flame throwers and more unbalancing, unrealistic items to the game. In my opinion the design in these games and even the graphics seem somewhat... Stale. Treyarch has gone way down in my expectations and I won't be buying a game from them, and yes even if it has a very successful name above it like 'Call of Duty'... Over hyped, overrated and took way too much credit where simple indie developers deserve better. Expand
  44. Nov 11, 2010
    Poor Sound, Bad Graphics awfully Buggy and laggy. On PC this game is shockingly bad. Taking it back for a refund. Activision should be ashamed.

Many of the good reviews are I think for xstations and wiiboxes. Of course it will probably seem better on those since the graphics are locked in and its doubtless less buggy.
  45. Nov 11, 2010
    Graohics and game play are early 2000. The game is totally abysmal when compared to such titles as crysis and mafia ii. It feels as if the game reviewing industry sold out its reader base. I have no other explanations for the rave reviews it got from such sites as GameSpot. Watch out - don't waste your money on this title.
  46. Nov 14, 2010
    really enjoyed the single player, i would advise anybody who likes cod to rent it and play the single player, but they ruined the multiplayer, its not even close to as mw2 or cod4, its just like waw but slightly updated. the snipers are almost usless, the maps are shocking in general. even zombies isnt as good as in waw. this is the last treyarch cod i buy.
  47. Nov 15, 2010
    Now, my rating has dropped to zero! I decided to give it the benefit as a good campaign mode game... I'm sorry folks but if you release a game... make sure it's finished. Yeah, I'm sure to hear "it's just your copy. Exchange it for a new one." Really? you think people should have to settle for that? I have a few friends that have had problems with this game. My original review wasNow, my rating has dropped to zero! I decided to give it the benefit as a good campaign mode game... I'm sorry folks but if you release a game... make sure it's finished. Yeah, I'm sure to hear "it's just your copy. Exchange it for a new one." Really? you think people should have to settle for that? I have a few friends that have had problems with this game. My original review was about issues I had with multiplayer. I can't even finish campaign mode now!
  48. Nov 11, 2010
    Same old, same old. A real snore-fest. I know! lets stopping buying this old dog and get some new, fresh innovative games on to the market! Seriously this IP has fully run its course at this point. The same old gameplay and mechanics. Its just so bloomin boring now. How about an open world CoD type game, or one that got some RPG elements in the single player. Anything just to move awaySame old, same old. A real snore-fest. I know! lets stopping buying this old dog and get some new, fresh innovative games on to the market! Seriously this IP has fully run its course at this point. The same old gameplay and mechanics. Its just so bloomin boring now. How about an open world CoD type game, or one that got some RPG elements in the single player. Anything just to move away from this oh so very tired old formula. Expand
  49. Nov 10, 2010
    It is hard to know where to start with this game, due to it's massive failings and the new things it brings to the Call of Duty franchise.

Graphically it is not even as detailed as Call of Duty 4, with chunky objects not smooth ones, washed out colours, really blurred textures. In fact the only models that have anywhere near enough detail are the guns and the players, everything else (explosions, cars, walls, crates, buildings) should look far better than they do. I would compare it's graphics to COD 3, another one of Treyarch's feeble creations.

To constantly see people saying how good the graphics are leads me to believe that the reviewers/general people, have never played COD4 or COD MW2. To say the graphics compare to Modern Warfare 2 is near blasphemy, and also incredibly ignorant. (My earliest COD purchase. Black Ops was my first title in the COD series developed by Treyarch, however I have played COD 3, 5 and obviously own Black Ops.) Looking back at COD 2, the graphics there are almost on par with Black Ops, at least online that is. However Let's be realistic, how many people seriously bought Black Ops for the campaign mode?

The Music in Black Ops is suitably atmospheric, however it never captures the mood anywhere near a similar level to Modern Warfare 1 and 2, such as the epic finales of both games. As such it never renders any real level of connection with the character, unaided by the fact that the voice of the main character (Mason) was clearly done by Sam Worthington i.e. Jake Sully (Avatar), Marcus Wright (Terminator Salvation), Perseus (Clash of the Titans). This makes the game feel fake, and whilst the voice acting itself is good, the whole lot never meshes together fluidly, so you feel that you are an observer, nothing more.

Now comes the really disheartening part. As if the poor multiplayer graphics were bad enough, the game engine lends the title no favours. The aiming system online is poor. There is almost no response as to whether you are aiming at someone, movement feels clunky and jerky, aiming is not the best experience either, and neither is the damage calculation. Suffice to say that if you have taken any damage whatsoever, falling off a ledge more than your character model's height, pretty much results in instant death. The melee system hits almost 100% of the time, whether the other person was actually aiming at you or not, and the response time between pulling the trigger and the gun firing is very noticeable.

It feels like the game engine was also ripped straight from COD 3, and is so unrefined as to cause my Xbox to actually have to slow down. I have never had this problem on any other Call of Duty game I have ever played. Modern Warfare 2 runs flawlessly on my machine even after hours of play, whereas 10 minutes of Black Ops causes my Xbox to struggle even when there is no lag and I have a 4 bar connection. This is a major blow to the Call of Duty series, as Infinity Ward pride themselves in remaking the game each time they bring a new title out. Call of Duty 2 was well received and was one of the best FPS on Xbox for a long time. Call of Duty 3 barely even got mentioned, as it is basically the ugly sister: an unpolished, unfinished, unmotivated attempt at taking what Infinity Ward created and effectively cutting and pasting with a few lack lustre additions that negatively affect the game.

Conversely, Treyarch have consistently shown that they can take a ready made and highly refined game engine and produce a sub par end product. Read: COD 3, COD World at War, and now COD Black Ops. Everything that Modern Warfare 2 brought, Black Ops seems to have removed. Highly detailed graphics, Smooth running game engine, innovation and addition to the famous multiplayer Call of Duty experience, taking the best of COD 4, and improving on it. Except Infinity Ward made a whole new game engine for MW2, they didn't copy the COD 4 engine, unlike Treyarch, who did copy it for World at War and managed to produce a low quality product from something that originally was done so well.

Black Ops does bring new ideas to the Multiplayer area, such as the COD currency to buy perks, weapons, emblems, camoflagues etc. This could be refined slightly more, however as it is a new addition to the COD franchise, I will not be to picky about it, as it does work, and it is useful to stop everyone having the best weapons possible.

This however does not make up for s seriously lacking game. Single player is good for about 2 hours, and multiplayer is fine for however long it goes on being repetitive until you become bored. Should still be at the drawing board, not as a fully released title, especially not in the COD franchise. Treyarch continuing what they probably always will do....
  50. Nov 10, 2010
    Single player is horrible with same generic linear gameplay trying to tell a strory, but it falls in horrible ai and lazily scripted event with not even close ot enough triggers to make gameplay fluent and ai teammates to feel real. This is which breaks the flow of the game and cant really get into it no matter how hard i try. Same problems still exist to every cod game after COD2.Single player is horrible with same generic linear gameplay trying to tell a strory, but it falls in horrible ai and lazily scripted event with not even close ot enough triggers to make gameplay fluent and ai teammates to feel real. This is which breaks the flow of the game and cant really get into it no matter how hard i try. Same problems still exist to every cod game after COD2. Teammates keep emptying clips at visible opponents without actually killing anything until player finds the trigger which gets the teammates to move forward.

Multiplayer is very normal cod quality though making snipers unusable makes the game faster which is better in arcade shooter like this. The new game modes are fun but not enough to merit buying this if you already own mw1, bc2 or even mw2.
  51. Nov 9, 2010
    Simply put, Call of Duty: Black Ops is a thrilling and phenomenal ride. This may be the best of the franchise. The single player experience (like it's predecessor) is sharp, immersing, and thrilling. Each cut scene makes the prospect of taking a break near impossible. As for multiplayer, fans of the franchise will blown away. Prepare to spend hours of your life on the hunt. If you are aSimply put, Call of Duty: Black Ops is a thrilling and phenomenal ride. This may be the best of the franchise. The single player experience (like it's predecessor) is sharp, immersing, and thrilling. Each cut scene makes the prospect of taking a break near impossible. As for multiplayer, fans of the franchise will blown away. Prepare to spend hours of your life on the hunt. If you are a fan of gaming this is an experience you must have. I'm sure all of the fans that waited in hour long lines for the 12:01am release of this game on Nov. 9th played well into the early morning. A masterpiece that you must add to your collection!â Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2010
    Wow all I can say is that the single player in Black Ops is a huge disappointment. I agree that the story is good and I enjoy the fact that the main character is re-living the memories of what happened. But that is where is kind of ends for me. The graphics are not good and I am being gentle with that description. The collision detection is horrendous. I don't know how many times I haveWow all I can say is that the single player in Black Ops is a huge disappointment. I agree that the story is good and I enjoy the fact that the main character is re-living the memories of what happened. But that is where is kind of ends for me. The graphics are not good and I am being gentle with that description. The collision detection is horrendous. I don't know how many times I have been stuck to the wall, a brick on the ground, or one of my own idiot partners. The constant spawning of enemies and grenade spamming is ridiculous. I would like for a little more reality when I am in a situation and people keep showing up from out of nowhere. Tossing smoke grenades is absolutely useless. I have been killed every single time I have tried to employ the strategy of using a smoke grenade to clear a room or hallway. It is as though the enemies have heat vision. I can't vouch for any part of the multiplayer as that is not my bag but I can tell you that Treyarch really lacks the know how when it comes to making a great single player experience. I had these same exact issues with WaW. I really do not recommend playing the single player. The 4 hours it took to play through Medal of Honor was more fun than this piece of garbage. Expand
  53. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is a great game, after ordering it from amazon it arrived just before i had to go to work but as soon as i got home I played it a lot the multiplayer is great as always the single player is not great but not bad either and it is worth playing the campaign but the multiplayer is the best part.
  54. Nov 10, 2010
    Campaign pretty good: 7 out of 10
    Multi player: 2 out of 10 i was expecting a lot more i just feel like i own this game already. (MW2) 60 bucks to play MW2 again?...
    zombie mode is a sweet addition though
  55. Nov 10, 2010
    It's another call of duty game, save your money and put it toward something good. The graphics look like a N64 game. The game play is terrible being a call of duty game that was pretty much a given. The on-line is still completely broken and cheaters are everywhere. This is a complete waste of money and I truly feel sorry for anyone who wastes there money on such a poorly developed game.
  56. Nov 13, 2010
    ................................more of same......... single player sucks, Multiplayer sucks, graphics sucks, Treyarch sucks...................................
  57. Nov 13, 2010
    I'm gettin tired of these contrived, senseless, and empty, new Call of Duty games since 2008. Black Ops is a lot worse than MW2. The game is just as unbalanced as ever, no character development, trying to put the JFK conspiracy. I don't have much to say on this this because the game is so small its not funny. It offers nothing new to shooters and this game just comes to show that KoticI'm gettin tired of these contrived, senseless, and empty, new Call of Duty games since 2008. Black Ops is a lot worse than MW2. The game is just as unbalanced as ever, no character development, trying to put the JFK conspiracy. I don't have much to say on this this because the game is so small its not funny. It offers nothing new to shooters and this game just comes to show that Kotic will just eventually kill this once good franchise into dog **** Black Ops is so just... It's better World at War, but that's not sayin much. Call of Duty is just done. Long live a good franchise that once existed. My guess, we'll never see it ever again thanks to games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops. Expand
  58. Nov 14, 2010
    This is a fantastic addition to the Call of Duty Franchise, The Story is Excellent, Multi-player is addictive, and Zombies is awesome! BUT I must warn you, this game can be so frustrating. So if you have a short temper, or a good throwing arm, I'd be careful playing on a expensive TV...
  59. Nov 15, 2010
    This is definitely a great game. i am espescially surprised at how well Treyarch did with the campaign. it was one og the funnest that i have played in years. and multiplayer as always, is amazing. i also like the new zombie mode.
  60. Nov 10, 2010
    Call of Duty black ops is simply put one of the better shooter out right now. It trumps the dying Halo brand and even trumps its previous creation in Modern Warfare 2 (in the multiplayer aspect. The online gameplay is challenging and fun. It offers new maps that give every style of playing an equal chance. The maps vary in size from very small to fairly large. The new wagers andCall of Duty black ops is simply put one of the better shooter out right now. It trumps the dying Halo brand and even trumps its previous creation in Modern Warfare 2 (in the multiplayer aspect. The online gameplay is challenging and fun. It offers new maps that give every style of playing an equal chance. The maps vary in size from very small to fairly large. The new wagers and customizations are just the icing on the cake. Of course their are going to be nube tubes and campers in every game. There will be no ridding that. People that give this game a negative rating for that are just ignorant. However all in all this was a very good game and im looking forward to investing some time in it. Expand
  61. Nov 12, 2010
    ** -- >>> I wanted to clarify to people that take issue with others saying that the reviews are bribed / paid off, that the claims of bribed scores are CORRECT, and it isn't just ActiVision who do this.
    Review sites make revenue by having people visit their site, and if other sites are putting up the first reviews of the latest hot game, people will go to them instead. Game publishers buy off high review scores by telling sites that they will receive an advanced copy of their game for review ahead of the retail release date ONLY IF the game receives a score of >80, or >90. They won't make this condition to all review sites, but they will to the popular ones, whose reviews will affect opinions the most.

The incentives given for high scores also go beyond that. If a review site gives a score the publisher doesn't like, they won't receive an advance copy for future titles, putting that review site at a disadvantage to other sites that can review the game ahead of them - and when a site is blacklisted by a large publisher like ActiVision, that can mean a LOT of titles that will be missed. Call of Duty is ActiVision's biggest title, you can be damn that sure they've put more score manipulating muscle into this release than any other release has seen before it. This score manipulation regularly taints big-name games, and you should know to not trust review sites all that much, because their noses are often firmly up the arses of the companies whose games they depend on being able to review early to generate their site traffic for revenue. User feedback has become far more valuable that site reviews. However, a lot of simple users out there who don't have much game experience will assume that the game they're playing that got fifteen 100/100 scores is truly the best, and those don't-know-better easily manipulable people are the ones the score-doctoring tactics aim to influence.

Metacritic, itself, has been lobbied by publishers to remove various negative scores from its site, to make games look like they were received better than they were. As far as I know, Metacritic has rebuffed all such lobbying.

Now my review:
    I've played only the sp so far, and it's typical CoD boredom, for me. I hardly feel like I'm playing, and what I'm watching isn't very exciting, either. The graphics are bad, but hey, it's designed for ancient console hardware, and not contemporary PC hardware, so it's not very surprising. Frankly, I loathe the cheesy cliche Vietnam characters and lines, which now (if not already ages ago) seem like a bad parody of a bad parody. I have some un-ignorable performance issues, the same ones which many others are also experiencing, detailed on various forums (Steam forums, ActiVision forums, & others), despite having a robust PC. This game will satisfy the kiddies, who are wowed more by the constant scripted business of this rail-shooter than by involved and in-depth gameplay.
  62. Nov 12, 2010
    Great and deep, well put together and unique, on the other hand it is more COD and not much is to different. So dont expect a new revelation as apposed to a build on a great pre exsisting franchise. The single player is a little hyper active, almost to the point of stressful. At one point I drove a motorcycle through a prison camp shooting people wiht a shot gun then hijacked a truckGreat and deep, well put together and unique, on the other hand it is more COD and not much is to different. So dont expect a new revelation as apposed to a build on a great pre exsisting franchise. The single player is a little hyper active, almost to the point of stressful. At one point I drove a motorcycle through a prison camp shooting people wiht a shot gun then hijacked a truck only to dive from said truck onto a moving train! Yeah a little much... But online definately worth the money. Expand
  63. Nov 15, 2010
    I have to give this game a 4 because the graphics suck. The audio sucks. And the multiplayer. Has to much crap going on. The guns are a joke and look like garbage. And sniper rifles are pointless in this game. And the worst thing is that online is laggy as hell. And campaign sucks with no depth
  64. Nov 16, 2010
    In online Multiplayer, the enemies respawn behind you, the controls are sluggish, the graphics poor and not as fluid as MW2 and the sound FX seem to have been borrowed from the 1980s. How on earth can they be given the bare bones of a masterpiece and turn it into this pile of rubbish. Treyarch have created a poor relative to the series and taken the whole franchise back-in-time to an ageIn online Multiplayer, the enemies respawn behind you, the controls are sluggish, the graphics poor and not as fluid as MW2 and the sound FX seem to have been borrowed from the 1980s. How on earth can they be given the bare bones of a masterpiece and turn it into this pile of rubbish. Treyarch have created a poor relative to the series and taken the whole franchise back-in-time to an age when the N64 ruled the world. What few inspired ideas there are, are lost in this nasty, horrible (and cynical) pixelated mess. Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2010
    Extremely disappointing. All the things I found cheesy in the first Modern Warfare and were changed for the second, are back. Players move like they are on speed, when a grenade goes off all you get is a quick poof and then it's gone and the list goes on. If they had just stayed with the game play of MW2 and just beefed it up a little, they could have knocked it out of the park. InsteadExtremely disappointing. All the things I found cheesy in the first Modern Warfare and were changed for the second, are back. Players move like they are on speed, when a grenade goes off all you get is a quick poof and then it's gone and the list goes on. If they had just stayed with the game play of MW2 and just beefed it up a little, they could have knocked it out of the park. Instead they dropped the ball and are probably relying on the brand's name for sales. All of these magazine critics must get kick backs for giving a companie's game a good review even when it is lame. Expand
  66. Nov 19, 2010
    This is a review coming from someone that has beaten the entire game and has played about 20+ hours of the multi-player as well.
    When I first started playing Black Opts, I wasn't sure if I even liked it or not. I bought it mainly to play with a friend online that lives out of town. I also knew that the hype surrounding the game was so large, that I had to take everything with a grain of salt.
    Well, I must say, after beating the single player campaign and starting to play the online modes including zombies, I must say that this game is well worth the money spent on it. The level of custimization in this game is great and if you don't jump to any conclusions and adapt to the gameplay in multi-player you will have lots of fun. This is definately a game that you will have to work hard at multi-plauer in, as this game keeps the momentum moving forward and doesn't allow for much camping and stagnant fights. There will be blood. So, after getting a little better at the game, I was having even more fun and enjoing unlocking all the features and cusomizing my player tag. I usually always try to make sure I have played a game a good deal and beaten it before I have reviewed it. So here you have it from someone that has actually put a good amount of hours into it. If you do not like online multi-player however, I would say that is where all the value is in this game. Games like MW2 definately had better campaigns.
  67. Nov 19, 2010
    Black Ops is a great game, of that there is no doubt. But it's a real shame that many of the problems from Modern Warfare 2 have been carried over into Treyarch's iteration of this series. These problems aren't of hackers, or glitchers, or really anything of that sort. The two games suffer from what I like to call, "Michael Bay-ism," where the games focus more on the action than trying toBlack Ops is a great game, of that there is no doubt. But it's a real shame that many of the problems from Modern Warfare 2 have been carried over into Treyarch's iteration of this series. These problems aren't of hackers, or glitchers, or really anything of that sort. The two games suffer from what I like to call, "Michael Bay-ism," where the games focus more on the action than trying to develop a real storyline. Now this is not entirely true- Black Ops has crafted a story that you will probably care about much more than you did with Modern Warfare 2, and this time you will understand why you are piloting an attack helicopter and blowing the living $^@& out of everything instead of just hanging on for the ride. And the masterfully-crafted multi-player from MW2 has returned, giving any normal player a reason to keep going back to this game even after you've played it for hours and hours on end. And the multi-player has a new couple of twists- for one, practically every weapon is available early on, but you have to spend points you earn from playing matches to buy them. You also must buy your perks, attachments, and kill-streaks. Plus, the best kill-streaks only send out a pack of dogs or give you control of a gunship, scrapping the extremely overpowered Nuke from the last game. Also new were the Wage Matches, a type of game-mode where you could bet your hard-earned points and play in one of four match types. If you place in the top 3 spots at the end of the game, you earn your money back and some more. Honestly, this game isn't perfect. Hell, it could do with some work. But what it is is an unforgettable experience that must be played. Expand
  68. Lrg
    Nov 20, 2010
    I do happen to enjoy the Multiplayer a lot more than mw2. weapons and perks are more balanced and the maps are very diverse but the lag and TERRIBLE kniving make it somewhat frustrating at times . As for the campaign, I felt it was just playing any other Call of Duty game but in a different era. Although I do applaud the great voice acting and amazing framerate, not that the graphics areI do happen to enjoy the Multiplayer a lot more than mw2. weapons and perks are more balanced and the maps are very diverse but the lag and TERRIBLE kniving make it somewhat frustrating at times . As for the campaign, I felt it was just playing any other Call of Duty game but in a different era. Although I do applaud the great voice acting and amazing framerate, not that the graphics are pushing any boundaries; but the gameplay and story didnt put me in a mode to where I just had to keep playing. Expand
  69. Nov 21, 2010
    I hold a completely different view then ColdSpike(not saying he's wrong he's entitled to his own opinion) you can't just rate the game for its campaign qualities you most certainly need xbox live. i think the campaign is the best in the call of duty series yet. Its as if your in a movie due to some stunning gameplay cinematics and an exellent plot line. This is probrably the only call ofI hold a completely different view then ColdSpike(not saying he's wrong he's entitled to his own opinion) you can't just rate the game for its campaign qualities you most certainly need xbox live. i think the campaign is the best in the call of duty series yet. Its as if your in a movie due to some stunning gameplay cinematics and an exellent plot line. This is probrably the only call of duty game i was actually bothered about what happened in the campaign. The online is also a high standard with alot more features. Since there is an awful lot to describe its probrably best you watch some gameplay footage. The zombies mode is also very fun with a whole new dead ops mode in which you shoot using the analog stick. To summarize

CAMPAIGN --------- 92/100
    ONLINE----------84/100
    ZOMBIES---------87/100

OVERALL -------- 88/100
  70. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best video game I have ever played. the campaign's story line is engaging and new. It feels like you are in a movie, which is a good thing. This is done while maintaining the action that we're all expecting from a Call of Duty game. Online game play has also improved. The new weapons, maps, and game modes are awesome. I highly recommend this game.
  71. Nov 26, 2010
    The game met the expectations, the story filled with trivia and lots of action, adapting all the good things and improve his predecessor, have cost it a multi-player addictive.
  72. Nov 29, 2010
    I never play the normal online multiplayer, just the single player campaigns and online coop modes. So my review only pertains to the latter two. Multiplayer might be awesome - I don't know. As for the rest - it is anything but awesome.

In fact it is by far the worst COD I have played. Unfortunately. Had it on pre-order and was bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It has none of the

In fact it is by far the worst COD I have played. Unfortunately.

Had it on pre-order and was bitterly disappointed when it arrived. It has none of the refinement and nuance that the last installment had. I've come to the conclusion that Infinity Ward are easily the more superior studio. By a long way.

1-P Campaign.
    I have found tedious and monotonous. You are essentially forced down a very narrow corridor throughout the entire campaign. Meaning you have very little choice in how you approach the different levels. No choice of tactics or strategy - just do what they tell you to. In some instances it goes as far as telling you the exact point in time you have to click a button to stealth kill a guy. What's the point in that? I didn't buy Dance Dance Revolution or some other press-the-buttons-in-a-rhythmical-sequence game. Treyarch's attempts at varying the levels falls way short of the helicopter and AC-130 gunner missions of MW2, to name but two. Online Coop.
    And as for the supposed online coop. Despite marketing claims, it doesn't exist. Running around shooting AI bots who continually respawn (obviously) is not by any stretch of the imagination what I would describe as online coop. There is no mission, no objective, no goal to work towards as a team. Just you and a bunch of bots running around aimlessly shooting at each other. You don't even get all the multiplayer modes. Just deathmatch and team deathmatch. Nice work Treyarch. Which marketing genus decided to call that coop?

Here's hoping the next installment is produced by Infinity Ward and is a damn sight better.
  73. Nov 30, 2010
    The backlash against negative user reviews here needs to be addressed, for example...

"luuek" wrote this drivel - > "metacritic needs captcha, most of the bad user reviews are the same word for word. they are computer generated accounts from a rival company. everything about this game is solid, you just need a good gaming computer ,not a 2 dollar piece of ****" How big an idiot do you

"luuek" wrote this drivel - >

How big an idiot do you have to be to think that a "rival company" is behind poor reviews of this game? And how big an idiot do you have to be to write a rant against the negative reviews and suggest that they are coming from people with deficient Pcs (despite this being the 360 listing)? You guessed it, you have to be a spectacularly gargantuan moron, much like the neanderthals who line up to buy anything in this franchise and any DLC they crap out, despite the fact that the series continually releases criminally short single player campaigns and mulitplayer infected with bugs and exploits that never get fully resolved. These throngs of mindless consumers have built the COD fortune and marred the gaming industry by making it stampede toward the Hollywood assembly line model, chasing the blockbuster profits this series sucks out of gamers, and then they have the nerve to complain about bias and negative user reviews. Poor graphics, poor sound, extreme linear paths you are constantly pushed down and forward (like being on an amusement ride that has no confidence in it's bag of tricks so it keeps pushing forward so you cant get a good look), no innovation, and more standard multiplayer where angry kiddies can rage at each other and dream of being the next youtube sensation that nobody watches ("I wantz to be likez teh Hutch"). This game is the lowest of the low, and the fools that lap up the same bag of crap every year have more of a negative impact on gaming than anything else.
  74. Dec 18, 2010
    This game is absolutely terrible. The multiplayer is so bugged and they keep saying they fixed it but they haven't almost every match winds up disconnected or cant connect at all. And the campaign is so cheap. The storyline is so predictable. I couldn't keep myself laughing at the whole numbers dialogue. This is the last time I buy a Treyarch game.
  75. Dec 19, 2010
    The single player offers a great story, but the game never calms the f*ck down. All the high-octane action sequences that occupy every second of the game lose any trace of realism. Fans of the COD multiplayer formula won't be disappointed, but I feel that it's more about reflexes than actual strategy. Zombies is fun though.
  76. Jan 6, 2011
    Who designed this? A monkey? The game is ugly, and uses horribly outdated sounds and visuals. It sounds like perfect dark for the n64. The maps are stupidly designed and failtastic. I have no idea why they even put a sniper rifle in. There is no quick-scoping and nowhere to snipe. Utterly DISGUSTING how obviously bribed the reviewers are.
  77. Jan 22, 2011
    One of my favorite games in the world. Not even kidding. I just love the multi-player, and the campaign? It's the best of the series. Zombies Mode is just wonderful. Go pick it up! You won't regret it!
  78. Apr 17, 2011
    All these years I've been wasting money on call of duty games, COD4 being alright, MW2 was less good than COD4, and black ops just being outrageously hideous, its horrible game, treyarch f$ck it up this time, and whos even heard of treyarch before they just came out of nowhere. Zombies is what made me give a 1 otherwise it would be a 0!!!!
  79. Apr 19, 2011
    Another rushed out call of duty game. Over-hyped boring game that is too similar to all the other call of duty games. It feels like an expansion to Moder warfare 2, just worse.
  80. May 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't expect much when i got the game but after playing it for over an hour, i knew i got ripped off. To start off. the single player campaign is horrendous. Call of duty is supposed to be a realistic war simulation game. This is anything but, the story is like a bad action thriller, it's supposed to be clever and psychological, but it's more annoying and predictable. Especially the ending, finding out that Reznov isn't real. We've already seen that in almost every movie since Fight Club. The Cold war had so much potential for a realistic story, like in the first COD's. Of course i do have to give Treyarch some credit, co-op campaign can be fun. And secondly, the multiplayer, it's a mess. You can't take a single step on any map without getting killed by a camper, claymore, noobtuber (people using the grenade launcher attatchment), chopper gunner, etc. My point being, there's no skill involved in this game. I can camp on a small map for no more than a few minutes, rack up enough kills for a decent kill streak reward without going through any trouble. The maps are designed for camping. Take Nuke Town for example. It's the smallest map in the game and by far the most annoying one. Camping on this map is as easy as possible. This is where you start to notice that killstreaks such as Chopper Gunner and Gunship are way too overpowered. Not everything is bad about this game. Zombie mode for example can be really fun with a couple of friends, or online with strangers. But other than that, i highly reccommend anyone considering to purchase this game to look further, because it isn't worth it. Expand
  81. Nov 9, 2010
    While the single player campaign is as short as you would expect from a COD game, there is almost too much else on the disc that simply shadows it. For example, zombies have returned for some fun with friends but the MP experience as a whole is spot on with new and tweaked perks, kill streaks, and weapon selections. Removing One Man Army and Stopping Power were probably some of theWhile the single player campaign is as short as you would expect from a COD game, there is almost too much else on the disc that simply shadows it. For example, zombies have returned for some fun with friends but the MP experience as a whole is spot on with new and tweaked perks, kill streaks, and weapon selections. Removing One Man Army and Stopping Power were probably some of the smartest moves that Treyarch did for this release. The option to buy the upgrades you want allow the casual gamer to enjoy all that the game has to offer. With all the content, getting the game for $60 is the best bargain since The Orange Box. While it likely won't win the fans of Halo that have dedicated their lives to getting the perfect armor set-up in Reach, this will grab the attention of anyone who has the skill to play a game that polishes and nearly perfects the game play type that millions love. One can also expect some health DLC down the road since this title has so much attention. This one is a must for the library. Expand
  82. Nov 9, 2010
    A fair BO review. peppered with a little rant...
    A fair BO review. peppered with a little rant...
    The game is a great installment in the series well placed title. The shooting seems to be a lot better then in MW2, while there are still Ntubes they don't seem to carry the same power as they did in Mw2. The maps were well designed, i found myself saying this map needs either more people or less places to hide but it didn't feel as large as Fuel did. I have to make note of the fact i do not like hearing Ice Cubes voice in BO, it threw me off and it just doesn't sit right. Nothing against Ice Cube but really why him.
    Single player campaign is nice very fluid it doesn't feel like a patched story like Halo reach. That really is the only fair comparison to Halo (not that i liked/disliked the game) but they are two very different style of shooters and should not be compared on any other merits but story. It would have been nice to see zip-lines in the multi-player campaign (yes i know hindsight and all that, and give em an inch a mile and what not). I will admit i am a little biased as i thought MW2 was a great game. As for lag i did notice a number of people skipping around which was disappointing, the map chooser seemed to favor the same maps in the game lobby i was in. I do like the new voting system(which reminded me of Halo reach) another honest moment i don't like that there are pieced of this game which reminded me of Halo. I also like the system of purchasing items and upgrades very innovative feature.

RANT: i think the worst thing about this game is the lame community you still have the same whiners who cry in your ear about every little thing. People voicing their ill content with being shot or dieing a certain way. As an original gamer i don't really care if you like how you died keep it to yourself. And the arguing over VC is often what makes me quit playing a game like this its a first person shooter play the game taunt whatever but if i wanted to hear crying i would wake my kids up. I would love for this game to have a higher rating just to keep the babies out. CONCLUSION: if you liked MW2 you'll love this game its all the fun of MW2 with new maps, new avatar look and features, new ways to murder the guy/girl ( to be fair) who keeps whining in your ear about how good he/she but how everyone else is cheating and thats why he/she keeps dieing. I'm giving it a 9 because its only a game it will not meet my HIGH expectations but it has come closer then any other game on the market and out of all the ones i have tried of late its the best ( i have tried a lot).
  83. Nov 9, 2010
    Let me preface this by saying that I was not a fan of COD:MW2. I felt that perks in that game stole the show. However COD:BO has pushed away my frustrations and welcomed me back with open arms into a legitimately good game. The multiplayer is the prime selling point of the title, and the system of purchases is fairly well fleshed out. It's a slight disappointment that they decided to mixLet me preface this by saying that I was not a fan of COD:MW2. I felt that perks in that game stole the show. However COD:BO has pushed away my frustrations and welcomed me back with open arms into a legitimately good game. The multiplayer is the prime selling point of the title, and the system of purchases is fairly well fleshed out. It's a slight disappointment that they decided to mix in rank AND credits for weapon customization, but ultimately it forces you as a player to make a smart decision about the direction you want to go. The king of the maps is most certainly Nuketown with its great vintage feel and tight map. The standee bodies only add to the effect. My primary concern with multiplayer is bullet penetration. It feels as though practically every surface can be easily penetrated to the point that cover can feel relatively useless. Camping remains an issue, but the maps themselves don't tend to lend to a horrific amount of easy spots to hole up, and this results in a great shift away from said issue. It's difficult to discuss the campaign without spoiling, but suffice it to say that it is an enjoyable romp and the best of the COD franchise. Zombie mode is every bit as tight and crazy as you remember and will create all the whooping and hollering you'd anticipate. While the game has flaws in its hitbox detection and penetration, there's nothing gamebreaking. But alas the game itself does not necessarily break new ground, it only polishes the floor to a nice sheen. That's good enough for me. 8.5/10 Expand
  84. Nov 10, 2010
    AMAZING GAME. This is what modern warfare 2 wanted to be, a great game all around. The single player is nothing short of heart stopping, the multiplayer is at least 10 times better than mw2 and i still have no idea how you people dont like this game!
  85. Nov 14, 2010
    This review section shows what happens when a piece of entertainment gets popular. Whether it's Call of Duty, The Dark Knight, Avatar, or LOST, there are always haters. These people hate things that get popular and want their voices to be heard so that they can influence other people to hate it. They will come back and literally give an unhelpful vote to every review that doesn't agreeThis review section shows what happens when a piece of entertainment gets popular. Whether it's Call of Duty, The Dark Knight, Avatar, or LOST, there are always haters. These people hate things that get popular and want their voices to be heard so that they can influence other people to hate it. They will come back and literally give an unhelpful vote to every review that doesn't agree with them. Whether this userscore is 0.0 or 10.0, this game will sell despite your opinion. I'm sure Treyarch is very concerned with Metacritic's user score. If this game was never hyped it's userscore would be much higher. As you can see, Cod 4 has a very high user score because it wasn't hyped much, but as time goes on more haters join. Another explanation is the inferior Battlefield fans, who always try to make it clear that everyone is missing out, except for Battlefield players. I also love all of the "These reviewers must get paid by Activision" statements. Yeah, maybe Activision is paying reviewers but do you know what is more likely? Maybe the Cod games are just good games, did you ever think of that? I would bet at least half of the Cod nation has never even looked at a review for these games. Cod games are known for their great graphics, sound, and gun mechanics. For these 3 alone a single score should never be under a 6.0. Um, I'm going to go play Black Ops now... Expand
  86. Nov 9, 2010
    Wow, Ngoing must have a cut down fetish, he's downed every version of Black Ops ps3/360/pc. I doubt he bought all three as he rated them each 0 and rated kane and lynch higher!!!! LMAO! This is a great buy and will definetly hold you until next years big hit. Sounds like some of the Medal of Honor crybabies didn't get what they wanted and are trying to bring down the COD franchise'sWow, Ngoing must have a cut down fetish, he's downed every version of Black Ops ps3/360/pc. I doubt he bought all three as he rated them each 0 and rated kane and lynch higher!!!! LMAO! This is a great buy and will definetly hold you until next years big hit. Sounds like some of the Medal of Honor crybabies didn't get what they wanted and are trying to bring down the COD franchise's ratings. Treyarch gives you more for this year and leaves you wanting more for the years to come. Thanks for thinking of the fans guys and keep on truckin'! Expand
  87. Nov 9, 2010
    Metacritic....excellent site but when it comes to gaming ,just throw the users reviews out the window!

Typical spoilers who only post zero to bring the score down....get a life,you morons.

Have the decency to score accordingly like the movies user reviews.

Stop ruining it for everyone else !!!
  88. Nov 9, 2010
    I detect battlefield fanboys in these reviews. a 0 without any reasoning to back it up? Disregard these reviews, I think it's best to go with the critics in these ones.

Even the ones that do provide explanation don't seem to understand how a rating system works... mediocre=/=0
  89. Nov 9, 2010
    This doesn't surprise me, since I saw it coming for a long time. Long story short: Black Ops is practically the same thing as MW2. I hated MW2. So, why should I be surprised?
  90. Nov 9, 2010
    Game is fantastic. You will not be disappointed as a call of duty fan. Both the single player and the multiplayer have fixed everything we have complained about in the previous instillation. Though the graphics sometimes are not up to par to the previous game, the over the top game play, new additions to multiplayer, and fantastic new modes deliver a game we have been dying for.
  91. Nov 9, 2010
    A cross between cod4 and waw online, dont expect a mw2 game, graphics are not as smooth as mw2, gameplay is very good, i think some of the features in here should of been in mw2. This is a treyarc game and i hated them for world at war which in my opinion was pants so i have always stuck by infinity ward but sadly that original team is no more due to greedy CEO's. Not played single playerA cross between cod4 and waw online, dont expect a mw2 game, graphics are not as smooth as mw2, gameplay is very good, i think some of the features in here should of been in mw2. This is a treyarc game and i hated them for world at war which in my opinion was pants so i have always stuck by infinity ward but sadly that original team is no more due to greedy CEO's. Not played single player yet, as someone else has stated it'll be the more you play the better your upgrades Expand
  92. Nov 10, 2010
    Well first of all im giving this game a 10 although its really not a perfect 10 because of the complete childish negative reviews of this game. You people are gonna give the game a 0 because you think the "graphics suck". Really? Thats your only reason? Yes the graphics arent as crisp as Modern Warfare but since when has treyarch been about graphics? Do a little research or just use someWell first of all im giving this game a 10 although its really not a perfect 10 because of the complete childish negative reviews of this game. You people are gonna give the game a 0 because you think the "graphics suck". Really? Thats your only reason? Yes the graphics arent as crisp as Modern Warfare but since when has treyarch been about graphics? Do a little research or just use some common sense before buying a game. Has anyone actually played the single player mode? THe graphics are awesome and they arent even bad in multiplayer just not as good as modern warfare...but who cares!? This game has some incredibly deep content so no one should say they are already bored with it. Intense SIngle player campaign, Zombies, Dead Ops, Wager Matches, contracts, new weapons, currency, new killstreaks, practice mode....i mean what more could you ask for? Not to say this game is perfect and doesnt have its problems. My major complaint is the respawns in multiplayer...countless times i have been spawned right in front of an enemy. I hope this gets fixed....but honestly thats my major complaint with a few other small complaints i will not get into. Im giving this game a 10 just to outweight the stupid negative reviews for this game...i mean if someone can give some legitimate reasons for giving this game a 0 id love to hear them. Expand
  93. Nov 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before the release.i thought Black ops could never top Modern Warfare 2.. boy was i wrong.
    Although campaign is a tad short.it has more diversity then Modern warfare 2 had and its just a little bit more appealing. although the lack of Campaign co-op is disapointing,the addition of zombie mode co-op makes up for it. but enough about that,lets talk about the multiplayer!,there are the old modes like capture the flag and such. but the new game modes in the wager modes is where its at. with games like sticks and stones,Gun game & one in the chamber among others,especially sticks and stones came across as one of the more fun modes,in sticks and stones you only have a crossbow with exploding tipped arrows,a hatchet and a ballistic knife to use in battle. and this can lead to various situations you can hardly get anywhere else. the game is just so much better then any of the predecessor already and then i havent talked about other things like Dead ops or theater mode. COD:Black ops has enough content to satisfy the shooter needs for awhile IMO.
  94. Nov 11, 2010
    This game has a monster **** It's by far one of the best of its kinds. It's only a shame that medal of honor couldnt have been this good. If you havnt already got it do so.
  95. Nov 15, 2010
    There is no doubt that Activision marketing scheme also includes paying off gaming critics. This game is sh*t , there is not one aspect of this game that is worth paying $60 for.

I have played every Cod game and have enjoyed the single player campaigns but this one takes the cake at being the worse.
  96. Nov 16, 2010
    COD BO stinks. The only thing that changes with these guys is the maps. The game is still a big, run around and shoot anything that moves game, which completely destroys any semblance of a real combat game. For those of us who only play occasionally, BO is a step backward. The introduction of gambling, what is all that about? And the statistics are laughable. For example, "PlayersCOD BO stinks. The only thing that changes with these guys is the maps. The game is still a big, run around and shoot anything that moves game, which completely destroys any semblance of a real combat game. For those of us who only play occasionally, BO is a step backward. The introduction of gambling, what is all that about? And the statistics are laughable. For example, "Players have run around the earth 83 times so far". Huh? Leveling up requires you to buy everything? Again, what the heck? I guess the game makers want you to buy the $19.99 book to figure out what the heck to do. Now the remote control car is kind of cool the first 10 times you get hit with it, or blow up an opposing player, BUT after that, "ZERO enjoyment". Expand
  97. Nov 14, 2010
    This is by far the best COD that has been released. The new COD points available is an excellent upgrade to the series
  98. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is awesome and has a lot of new customization options, wager matches, theater mode, combat training, zombis, split screen online... definatly this is the game of the year!
  99. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is AMAZING. Graphics, Music, Gameplay, Voice Acting - all perfect. The multiplayer is as challenging and rewarding as ever, though it may seem a bit jarring considering certain changes (to perks for example). The story mode is a rush, with barely any break in the action. The constantly changing set pieces keep a fast pace while jumping between classic Vietnam to slightly moreThis game is AMAZING. Graphics, Music, Gameplay, Voice Acting - all perfect. The multiplayer is as challenging and rewarding as ever, though it may seem a bit jarring considering certain changes (to perks for example). The story mode is a rush, with barely any break in the action. The constantly changing set pieces keep a fast pace while jumping between classic Vietnam to slightly more modern scenery. Its unfortunate that Call of Duty haters are too stubborn to pick up a copy of Black Ops and embrace it for what it is. 10/10 Expand
  100. Nov 9, 2010
    Damn, this is a great game! Ok, let's get serious. MULTIPLAYER is the STAR here and raises the bar for all subsequent games. Not only are there loads of new features, but all the details are well thought out and the gameplay is SMOOTH and WELL-BALANCED. It is WAGER MATCH, however, that blows everything out of the water. INGENIOUSLY CRAFTED and BRILLIANTLY EXECUTED, the WAGER MATCHDamn, this is a great game! Ok, let's get serious. MULTIPLAYER is the STAR here and raises the bar for all subsequent games. Not only are there loads of new features, but all the details are well thought out and the gameplay is SMOOTH and WELL-BALANCED. It is WAGER MATCH, however, that blows everything out of the water. INGENIOUSLY CRAFTED and BRILLIANTLY EXECUTED, the WAGER MATCH MODES are INCREDIBLE FUN and SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE. The single player plot is intriguing and suspenseful and keeps you guessing until the last revelation. Altogether, Black Ops is an outstanding piece of work and NOT TO BE MISSED! In my opinion, this is the BEST CALL OF DUTY YET! Collapse

1. A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!