Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360

6.2

1. Sep 17, 2016
    If you take a look at the rest of the recent reviews for Black Ops here, you'll notice all of the high scores, especially compared to recent COD games.

The reason for that, I'd argue, is because this game did basically every aspect of the series well. Good single-player campaign setpieces, good storyline, good cooperative Zombies mode and maps, good multiplayer gunplay and the general atmosphere to everything. Perhaps each of these aspects alone don't stand out - WaW had better Zombies, MW2 had a more fun multiplayer (if less balanced), COD4's campaign pacing was more focused and had a more climactic conclusion.

However, by doing each and every category well, BO forms one of the most cohesive experiences in the series, alongside the likes of CoD4 and CoD2. Take a look at MW3 - the co-op Survivalist mode was arguably shoehorned in. Take a look at BO3 - easily the worst campaign in the trilogy.

Black Ops feels like a finished game, if a little unpolished, and it's Treyarch's first real foray into their own territory. Compare that to MW2, which was released a year too early, and the main villain of the plotline has a poorly developed and confusing motive.

(As a side note, MW2 should have been released in 2010, Black Ops in 2011, and we should only just be hitting Black Ops II rather than III right about now, but Activision is one s h i t t y company. Infinity Ward was gutted in 2009, a **** PR manager and like 4 secretaries were all that was left, and that's what was forced into making MW3 for 2011. The series as a whole receives a whole lot of justified flak for being released yearly, and it's obvious that many games in the series suffered for it, 2011-2014 releases in particular. That doesn't make them all not worth playing though, in my opinion.)

Overall, BO is still definitely one of the better games in the series, and it should be remembered that way too. I'd personally rank it at something like 4th overall, not for doing anything spectacular in a single specific category, but for being cohesive and doing everything well despite its early release.
  2. Feb 25, 2016
    I really love this game's campaign . Surely one of the best . The multiplayer is excellent given the fact that there are now bots . With me being mostly offline , this is truly enjoyable . The zombies mode is very much fun as well and this also included the highly fun dead ops arcade . Well done Treyarch !
  3. Jan 2, 2016
    Although some would disagree, I'd say Black Ops had the best storyline and best twist I've ever seen in a Call of Duty game. The story had some interesting elements of Fight Club and other great movies mixed in, which delivered a unique experience. Multiplayer isn't GROUND BREAKING or anything, but it is fun. And best of all, the zombies game mode was incredible, with some of the best andAlthough some would disagree, I'd say Black Ops had the best storyline and best twist I've ever seen in a Call of Duty game. The story had some interesting elements of Fight Club and other great movies mixed in, which delivered a unique experience. Multiplayer isn't GROUND BREAKING or anything, but it is fun. And best of all, the zombies game mode was incredible, with some of the best and inventive maps to date. Expand
  4. Jan 1, 2016
    This is easily my favorite Call of Duty of all time, the campaign was simply amazing, this is the cod that got me into the franchise and this is the only cod i spend hundred of hours playing online, i'm not a fan of fps in general, i mostly play japanese rpg but this was the first fps to get me addicted, it was probably because my friend were all playing, we had so much fun, i have so manyThis is easily my favorite Call of Duty of all time, the campaign was simply amazing, this is the cod that got me into the franchise and this is the only cod i spend hundred of hours playing online, i'm not a fan of fps in general, i mostly play japanese rpg but this was the first fps to get me addicted, it was probably because my friend were all playing, we had so much fun, i have so many great memories of this game, i miss those moment with one of my friend in particular when he still had his xbox. Ah... good time, great game! Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2015
    the best call of duty game after Call of duty 2 and the first modern warfare... it change the genre like the other two I mentioned... after the first black ops I don't believe any other COD was as good
  6. Jun 17, 2015
    Jogo ótimo , treyarch está de parabéns , joguei muito e ás vezes ainda jogo , modo zombies muito TOP , campanha muito bem pensada , já o multiplayer te deixa puto com o lag -'-
  7. May 27, 2015
    Call of duty: Black ops is a very welcome addition the franchise. The campaign was OK but not bad, with some returning characters from Call of duty: World at war. The multiplayer was fantastic, super good, you will be playing this incredible multiplayer for many years to come. The zombies was pretty fun, also with returning characters from Call of duty: World at war Zombies and returningCall of duty: Black ops is a very welcome addition the franchise. The campaign was OK but not bad, with some returning characters from Call of duty: World at war. The multiplayer was fantastic, super good, you will be playing this incredible multiplayer for many years to come. The zombies was pretty fun, also with returning characters from Call of duty: World at war Zombies and returning maps with the DLC. Great game, but be wary of the campaign, but play multiplayer! seriously multiplayer is just rad. By the way this was a bit of a disappointment compared to Call of duty: Modern warfare 2 but please do try it out. Expand
  8. May 24, 2015
    So far the Black Ops series is the best of the COD series to me. But then thru my history of playing Treyarch games I probably will side with them.

I also love a game where you can play bot mode anytime you want.
  9. Feb 15, 2015
    Everything about this game is pretty awesome, but I do kind of feel like I already own this game. It's like the same thing as every other CoD game, but I still think this game is awesome.
  10. Jan 21, 2015
    This game is simply outstanding and had rarely any flaws.

PROS
    -ASTONISHING gameplay
    -Fun mini games
    -HD graphics
    -Amazing campaign

CONS
    -weak story
  11. Dec 6, 2014
    A fresh Call of Duty environment makes for more first person shooter glory in both single and multiplayer. The new zombies mode is a blockbuster hit and will surely return. It breaths fresh life into a series that undoubtedly deserves more entries.
  12. Nov 23, 2014
    Ah, plot twists, Russians and JFK killing zombies. This game has many elements of comedy but also seriousness. I loved the story line of how we 're-lived' the memories of Alex Mason as he was being interrogated and finding out that Reznov was never there!
    The Zonbie Maps have advanced a lot since COD World at War as in 'Kino der Toten' you literally have missions to do by unlocking rooms and connecting the teleporter. You can do this by yourself or with your friends.
    I still miss the days of COD WAW where we can do cooperative campaign but COD Black Ops is still undeniably a great game to play
  13. Nov 20, 2014
    This for me was a game which I played for years and still do now. Even with all the new releases and other stuff going on. When Black Ops first came out, It felt like a huge step up from the previous Call of Duty's - even Modern Warfare. The weapons and extremely deep and satisfying customisation options in multiplayer as well as the always solid gunplay made Black Ops such a good game.This for me was a game which I played for years and still do now. Even with all the new releases and other stuff going on. When Black Ops first came out, It felt like a huge step up from the previous Call of Duty's - even Modern Warfare. The weapons and extremely deep and satisfying customisation options in multiplayer as well as the always solid gunplay made Black Ops such a good game. The campaign was to me one of the few good ones throughout Call of Duty history. This and its sequel. The story was good and the new cold war setting and equipment made this game memorable. It's co-op zombies mode was done very well and the two maps that came with the game (excluding DOA) were well thought out. When I think of Zombies, I think of Kino der Toten. To me, that defines zombies in Call of Duty. Expand
  14. Nov 19, 2014
    I played the F out of this game. The only reason I quit playing was because Black Ops 2 came out. Honestly some the maps were better then others but they did get creative with the maps. Ghost was probably overpowered in TDM, but that was fixed in Black Ops 2.
  15. Nov 11, 2014
    9.5 out of 10 (rounded up to 10)

9.5 out of 10 (rounded up to 10)

Treyarch has been wrongly criticized in the past. While Infinity Ward gives us Modern Warfare, Treyarch just sticks with a World At War. While Inifinity Ward decides to stomp on innovation, Treyarch experiments with new things- not always to success, but who blames them? With Black Ops, fans finally accepted Treyarch, even though they still stuck to the past. The thing is, they crawled out of their muddy trench to deliver an intense Cold war thriller that doesn't pull any punches and also provides the right amount of innovation to propel this series for another year. Between a brilliant campaign, addictive multiplayer and the outrageously fun Zombies mode, Black Ops triumphs as the fourth best COD in the series...

Let's begin with the main attraction, the multiplayer. While it certainly isn't a revolution, it is an utterly polished and infinitely replayable experience. The new modes are fast paced and fun and TDM and FFA are still excellent. Rather than sticking to my guns, I experimented with new modes for fun and found myself enjoying the game even more. The levelling and progression systems haven't innovated too much, but they are still well designed and easier to comprehend than Battlefield (before anybody screams hate at me for saying that, I am not a fanboy for either of them and believe they are as good as one another). The Create A Class and customization options are where this game really shines, where the better interfaces and menus make for a more accessible experience. The large range of perks and scorestreaks means that your experience can be incredibly different from anyone else's and there is a large amount of gear that just caters to newbies (or noobies). As for the guns- by god are they amazing! Each one feels different and the awesome amount of upgrades and levelling turns this into an RPG for weapons. You can get your weapons gold or diamond and the amount of clan options makes this mode an even more desired option. The party modes are also great, with gun game easily being the best.

While all of this may be amazing, the maps are some of the best in COD history. Nuketown is an excellent setting and is an instant classic, with its bright colours and small, intense design. While there are a few too many snow maps, Firing Range is another classic and the jungle and city set maps are also great. Black Ops embraces the intense, close quarters combat of the series and this is its greatest strength.

Then there are the zombies. One of the most surprising things about World At War was its unlockable Zombies mode and that returns for BLOPS, but you can play one of the maps from the start while the other two are only obtainable after completing the campaign. This is agood design decision, as this is one of the best co-op experiences in all of history. It starts off easy, but as you progress, the zombies get faster, the hordes get larger and hellhounds appear. The main map is nothing compared to BLOPSII and its Transit, but it is arguably more focused and just better. The amount of hidden secrets constantly encourages replayability and this mode has that "just one more go" mentality about it. It keeps the money and weapons systems and the intense difficulty and isn't a large step up form WAW, but who cares? Zombies!!!

The last of the three modes in BLOPs is the campaign. While it isn't as shocking as MW2, it is just as good. The set pieces continue to increase in size and scale, with a crossbow focused snow level, the opening sequence and the final attack being particular highlights. There are the usual collectibles and replaying the campaign isn't a bad option, but this an experience to be had just once, simply because the final twist just doesn't have the same impact the second time around.

The story sees you playing as Alex Mason- a soldier who has been captured and is undergoing interrogation, due to his suspicious behaviour and potential involvement in a terrorist attack. The whole game recounts his adventures, but you will occasionally switch roles for a greater narrative base. The characters are memorable and the fairly good looking graphics engine ensures that it can all be pulled off in an incredibly realistic and atmospheric way. The Cold War backdrop is what really give this game its legs, what with it seemingly being the perfect time period for a COD game. I love this campaign and it is easily one of the best in the series.

Everything about BLOPs is polished and well executed. It controls well, the performances and score are brilliant and it looks great as well- even 4 years on. The campaign, multiplayer and Zombies mode still aren't highly innovative, but who cares? This is some of the best fun in COD in years. Treyarch is better than Infinity Ward anyway...
  16. Oct 24, 2014
    I'm not a COD fanboy, well not anymore but all joking aside this is just a great game. Zombies is where the game really shines for me, I have spent hundreds of hours blowing zombie's heads off and it never losses it's touch.
  17. Sep 27, 2014
    Black Ops my all time favorite CoD. This game has great story with memorable characters such as Sgt. Frank Woods. Gameplay in mutliplayer is a satisfying experience that I truly enjoyed and you will too. Zombies is another major part of the game. You'll spend days playing zombies as you do with multiplayer. Overall great game and must have.
  18. Aug 16, 2014
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is the result of the incredible work of Treyarch.
    Despite having a short single player campaign that Call of Duty have an fantastic story. The multiplayer is balanced and brings good maps.
  19. Jun 11, 2014
    2010 wasn't a very big gaming year. For this it was. This game was one of the more complete and deep games of the series. Of course it probably wasn't the best or hardest, but it was one of the more popular ones. BO2 was not when I started playing COD (I started on MW1) but when a lot of "Noobs" started. I was actually very good at this game. I reached a very high prestige (around 9), so2010 wasn't a very big gaming year. For this it was. This game was one of the more complete and deep games of the series. Of course it probably wasn't the best or hardest, but it was one of the more popular ones. BO2 was not when I started playing COD (I started on MW1) but when a lot of "Noobs" started. I was actually very good at this game. I reached a very high prestige (around 9), so it clearly was filled with "Noobs." I think the single player campaign was 'ok', but not the highlight of the game. The multiplayer definitely was. I think what made the game so popular was the fact how MW2 kind of boosted the series A LOT. A big factor that went into making the game so popular was that it was sold as the fact that it was "easy", mainly because since there were a lot of 'Noobs", they were probably playing there first COD experience. The game was my second favorite in the series (following MW2), but after about 4 after it came out I tried playing it again and of course it was dead. Every good old game, there all just dead now, what a shame... SMH. Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2014
    Es sin duda el mejor CoD de todos, una trama acojonante, unos escenarios bien hechos, las armas. Pero que aun sigue teniendo el mismo motor que sus predecesores. Sin embargo es un gran shooter.
  21. Feb 16, 2014
    Very good game. Decent Zombies, interesting storyline and fun multiplayer. Only reason why I give this a 8 is because of the stupid underage speakers, 2008 graphics and framerate drops from 60 to 20.
  22. Feb 6, 2014
    now i give this game a 10/10 not simply cause i like the game i give it a 10 cause i had alot of time to play the game and have had alot of friends i also like the zombies and the game was fun with the glitches i would buy it if you like fps it is a really good game that you could spend good hours on. if you dont like the review well thats all bad cause this game is amazing and atleastnow i give this game a 10/10 not simply cause i like the game i give it a 10 cause i had alot of time to play the game and have had alot of friends i also like the zombies and the game was fun with the glitches i would buy it if you like fps it is a really good game that you could spend good hours on. if you dont like the review well thats all bad cause this game is amazing and atleast earns a good score at least a 6/10 from everyone you cant just give it a bad score cause you dont like the company that made it i hate bungee but i have had a really good time with halo but chief needs to mess stuff up haha. Expand
  23. Oct 26, 2013
    ok,i liked this game
    was fun. it doesnt have a good story
    but the game is fine,the graphics are the same as
    modern warfare 1,but still better that modern warfare trilogy
    i think is a good a game,is not excellent but is great
  24. Aug 22, 2013
    Solid entry into the series, and likely to be the game non fans will think of when people say call of duty, more so than the others.

Its not perfect, in fact its perhaps balanced to a fault in its multiplayer, but its not as incredibly boring as MW3 was, nor as schizophrenic as its sequel Black Ops II. At the same time, you cant really go wrong with it, and generally you are rewarded for good play as opposed to your killstreaks and cheap tactics.
  25. Rem
    Jul 11, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of theCall of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of the genre. The gunplay is the same as ever as you move through a level sprinkled with explosive setpieces here and there, but most people play COD for its multiplayer. COD points being the new addition, is well implemented and the contract system kept me playing for a while. The most improved feature of this package however is the fun Zombies mode. Holding off waves off Nazi zombies have never been so fun while coming with replay value. The framerate is a silky 60 frames again, but textures can be rough at times. There isn't too much changes to the overall way you play the game, but I still kept playing this release for the annual mega franchise. Expand
  26. Jul 8, 2013
    BO 1 was a great game, as was MW2. The multiplayer was great, campaign was decent, and the zombies were great (would have liked more WW2 guns though). Im writing this 3 years after its release, and i look back and think this is spectacular compared to BO2 and MW3 which make COD a peice of $#O*&^$%^. But i dont give it a 10 just due to the fact the Zombies is not as good as WaW, and theBO 1 was a great game, as was MW2. The multiplayer was great, campaign was decent, and the zombies were great (would have liked more WW2 guns though). Im writing this 3 years after its release, and i look back and think this is spectacular compared to BO2 and MW3 which make COD a peice of $#O*&^$%^. But i dont give it a 10 just due to the fact the Zombies is not as good as WaW, and the multiplayer is like every COD, but still the best instalment in the past 3 years. Expand
  27. Apr 29, 2013
    This is my favorite COD ever.The campagin has a great story,Best multiplayer in the series and a really fun zombies mode.Even thought the cod points were stupid,this game is really fun.
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    this was biggest surprise of 2011 for me. this game was best story by far. woods and resnov are great supportive actors. mutiplayer was fun but its not really my thing.
  29. Mar 14, 2013
    This game will always be a top game in my selection. This game is still fun to this day! I even like it a little better than BO2. Lets start with the campaign. The campaign had one of the best stories a Call of Duty could ever have. Characters are awesome and it really builds suspense, it also has a good length to it. Mulitplayer is amazing! The maps are well detailed and good sized. HasThis game will always be a top game in my selection. This game is still fun to this day! I even like it a little better than BO2. Lets start with the campaign. The campaign had one of the best stories a Call of Duty could ever have. Characters are awesome and it really builds suspense, it also has a good length to it. Mulitplayer is amazing! The maps are well detailed and good sized. Has plenty of guns and equipment to chose from and aren't too overpowered. I like the fact that you can actually see the character. Zombies is by far the best mode in the game. Its challenging and fun if you play with your friends (Dont play online, people can get annoying). Also the map packs are awesome too! This is an awesome game worth buying Expand
  30. Jan 21, 2013
    I still cant believe im playing this it is such an addicting game,with a great multiplayer and not bad campaign.
    I highly respect this game and enjoy playing it for hours and hours
  31. Jan 3, 2013
    u shuld get call uv dooty blac cops too becuz its teh most epic gaem i hav evar plaid n u shuld play it to. teh releaz uv dis gaem iz proably teh gratist step mankind haz evar taykin. if u dont play this gaem, then ur probaly just a huge nurd who plays stoopid gaems liek wurld uv warcrap.
  32. Dec 6, 2012
    call of duty black ops is really funny! because it says stuff like this. gotta kill more freak bags first. but it says bad words. and has blud.
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    This game overall is a pretty good game and had some good ideas such as gun game but the servers were inconsistent and the guns shot paper bullets half the time. its more like a 7.5
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    Black Ops was a good comeback for Treyarch, having lived in the shadows of Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series. With plenty of fast-paced action and awing scenes, you will likely find it hard to put the controller down until it is beaten. Aside from the campaign, there are challenges to master, and for most people, the main fun comes with the online multiplayer. One thinga bout Black OpsBlack Ops was a good comeback for Treyarch, having lived in the shadows of Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series. With plenty of fast-paced action and awing scenes, you will likely find it hard to put the controller down until it is beaten. Aside from the campaign, there are challenges to master, and for most people, the main fun comes with the online multiplayer. One thinga bout Black Ops that is both a blessing and a curse is that it is very balanced. It makes multiplayer fairer, but for some, perhaps too fair. Snipers are supposed to kill, and bombs are supposed to dismantle- but that's not always the case. All in all, it is a great game if you are into shooters. It has a great story to go with it's badassery, and for it's time, well designed and polished. Expand
  35. Nov 25, 2012
    Call of Duty: Black Ops makes history as the first call of duty to be set in the 60s during the Cold War and is the direct sequel to Call of Duty: World at War. Campaign plot: Alex Mason is being interrogated to give up the secrets of the numbers but has no idea what is going on. He begins recalling events leading up to his interrogation which help him remember what is presently happening.Call of Duty: Black Ops makes history as the first call of duty to be set in the 60s during the Cold War and is the direct sequel to Call of Duty: World at War. Campaign plot: Alex Mason is being interrogated to give up the secrets of the numbers but has no idea what is going on. He begins recalling events leading up to his interrogation which help him remember what is presently happening. Zombies plot: After Rictofan manipulated the teleporters into time machines, they reappear in Hitler's private theatre where he has given speeches fighting off the undead horde, as well as John F. Kennedy, Secretary Nacramera, Fidel Castro, and Richard Nixon defending themselves from zombies in the Pentagon. Multiplayer: For the first time in Call of Duty history, players use an in game currency system called Cod points in order to purchase loadout options as well as killstreaks, and titles and emblems. Also for the first time in Call of Duty history players can play multiplayer game types against CPU controlled players. Players can also play wager matches which gamble their Cod points in order to attempt to raise their wealth. My opinion: this game is fantastic and really brings you back to the scary nuclear arms race of the Cold War. It is thrilling to take part in the vietnam war and take part in the bay of pigs, an attempt to assassinate Castro. Anyone interested in history should play this game as well as any fan of Call of Duty. Expand
  36. Nov 14, 2012
    I have to say that this title is the definitive Call of Duty of the series. I have played every Call of Duty since its release and this is the only one that I return to time and time again for a game of multiplayer. It has been released 2 years now and I still find myself having a game at least twice a week. A true classic in my opinion and Activision will never repeat the success of BlackI have to say that this title is the definitive Call of Duty of the series. I have played every Call of Duty since its release and this is the only one that I return to time and time again for a game of multiplayer. It has been released 2 years now and I still find myself having a game at least twice a week. A true classic in my opinion and Activision will never repeat the success of Black ops with any of its future releases. Expand
  37. Oct 29, 2012
    The weak and twitchy single-player - with many of the same old flaws - almost undermines all of the superb extra features and pretty much flawless multiplayer offering. Veterans and regular players still have the advantage over newcomers, but with Combat Training and the Zombie mode, there is plenty of fun to be had for even the most inexperienced players. Black Ops isn
  38. Sep 3, 2012
    This is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but theThis is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but the followups were flops and currently the series has kind of fizzled out, COD: BO2 might change that. XBox Live IMO is much better than PSO but if I had to pick between the 2 it would be hard because the PS3 looks much better. If your a FPS fan at all, I believe this series is a must have, but I will now be moving to the PC for Black Ops 2. Expand
  39. Aug 18, 2012
    The singleplayer campaign of the game is pretty solid and has some nice twists and turns, but it would have been nice if the story were changed so that you wouldn't be playing through flashback. What makes the game shine is the multiplayer and zombies mode. Zombies is ambitious, engaging, challenging, and a ton of fun. Multiplayer is hugely addicting. Honestly, I've had more fun with theThe singleplayer campaign of the game is pretty solid and has some nice twists and turns, but it would have been nice if the story were changed so that you wouldn't be playing through flashback. What makes the game shine is the multiplayer and zombies mode. Zombies is ambitious, engaging, challenging, and a ton of fun. Multiplayer is hugely addicting. Honestly, I've had more fun with the multiplayer in BO than in any other CoD game. Expand
  40. Jul 17, 2012
    While the single player was somewhat disappointing, the multiplayer and zo mbies made this game solid. Treyarch should be making the next cods instead of infinityward.
  41. cfh
    Jun 28, 2012
    Black ops is fun, but the campaign makes no sense. Besides the Campaign being confusing; you get to do a lot of cool things like fly a helicopter, ride a motorcycle, swim in a lake, and much more. Zombies can be really tough espeically by your self. It has cool guns like the Thunder Cannon. Co-op is really good. Black Ops has the first Co-Op Online Gameplay, so you can play split screenBlack ops is fun, but the campaign makes no sense. Besides the Campaign being confusing; you get to do a lot of cool things like fly a helicopter, ride a motorcycle, swim in a lake, and much more. Zombies can be really tough espeically by your self. It has cool guns like the Thunder Cannon. Co-op is really good. Black Ops has the first Co-Op Online Gameplay, so you can play split screen online. You can also go up against CPU charaters. While playing split screen in 'Mutiplayer' except for online you can get any gun, attachment and camo. Except for the Campaign this game is great. Expand
  42. May 7, 2012
    This is a game you have to get, it is a must buy. It has a great story, and outstanding graphics. The multiplayer is fun, and awesome. Zombies is great, the maps are awesome, my favorite is moon. This is a must buy people!
  43. Mar 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite cods. The campaign is fantastic. The story is far different from cods typical war. It involves hallucinations of people and the images and sounds of random numbers into your head. The disturbing sight of your hand shaking and aiming a gun to jfk with a terrifying screaming in the background, or the multiple hallucinations in the second to last level as you stumble around an empty building as you realize one of your closest teamates was never really with you at all and had been dead for years. The mind bending story is not original, but its fun and different. The multiplayer is good and fixes many problems in mw2 involving balancing. No major flaws in my experience. It is trully an exciting and mind bending game. Expand
  44. Mar 19, 2012
    Again, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), andAgain, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), and mechanics were just as good as they've ever been.

Online is a bit of a different story. I think the core online multiplayer deserves no more than a 1/2.5, because of severe synchronization problems. You can fire off an entire clip at an enemy and he will kill you with a single shot. When you look at it again in theatre, you aren't shown to be firing a shot. This shows that you are lagging behind the actual game time, and it can be a severe impediment in head to head battles. Sometimes, it works in your favor, but it's too big a factor to ignore.

Zombies is definitely a huge redeeming feature of this game, and for that it gets 2.5/2.5. One of the best 'swarm' style games I've played, and the innate black humour just makes it better. Weapons are amazing and the actual 'stories' behind the maps are engaging and sometimes downright hilarious.

My totals add up to an 8.5/10. Since metacritic only allows full number value ratings, I downgraded it to an 8, because I can't see a game with such an average multiplayer (main feature) being a 9/10.
  45. Mar 18, 2012
    Black Ops is the best COD ever. Thats still not saying much since I still only give it an eight, but when you compare it to anything that Infinity Ward has made, it is amazing. The Campaign is kind of silly, but fun. Zombies is amazing as always, and multiplayer is really balanced and overall, good.
  46. Mar 5, 2012
    This is the best COD ever , zombies is an absolute treat and overall the game is absolutely miles better than Modern Warfare.Treyarch simply put much more work into games and it is worth the money you pay , unlike with MW3
  47. Feb 26, 2012
    Black Ops was an interesting experience. I enjoyed the campaign, it actually was enjoyable, made sense, and had somewhat of a coherent plot. This game was well made and well thought out. Multiplayer is amazing! Recommend this game out of any CoD game out there!
  48. Feb 13, 2012
    masterpiece, amazing maps, zombie mode returns in stunning fascion, campaign was OK, to scripted for me..even for cod but the multiplayer is right up there with cod 4.
  49. Feb 13, 2012
    This is the best Call of Duty yet. It is diverse and balanced compared to any other one, and everythign about it is fun, just bought MW3, it's nothing compared to this game
  50. Dec 8, 2011
    ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!! That is all I have to say on the matter... Everything else is just meh. I mean decent single player and the only enjoyable part of multiplayer are the wager matches that are tense and exciting. ZOMBIES, however, make it a great package!!
  51. Dec 8, 2011
    Well-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd beWell-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd be happy to play on the longest, it would definitely be this. Everything works well, and there are practically no flaws with multiplayer. Zombies are very well done (the default ones anyway), if not a bit too dark in Kino der Toten. Overall, the campaign is excellent and interactive, zombies is fun and multiplayer is arguably the best in all of CoD. What more could you ask for? The campaign is much better than MW2 and WaW, with more interactivity, more variety in level design, a new environment and great scenes, characters and storyline. It is a little too short, but still packed with epicness, from stealth to piloting gunships. The campaign is much more of an adventure- a journey- whereas the previous ones were more predictable and straightforward. As far as multiplayer is concerned, it's flawless. There are no imbalanced weapons or perks or attachments. If anything grenade launchers are underpowered. The weapons are still varied for differentp laystyles. There are many attachments, pro perks, balanced killstreaks and modes such as Barebones, where it's straight up gun on gun. Private matches are a lot more fun given the wealth of settings which can be tweaked. One can also save replays of recent games and store custom game modes in file share. Wager matches add a new facet to the multiplayer experience by allowing players to compete in three free-for-all game modes for CoD points (in-game currency). Although many dislike CoD points, it encourages players to try out new weapons and attachments when prestiging and yes, challenges don't unlock anything but pro perks anymore but this eliminates boosting- a problem which MW2 had. Any problems which MW2 had have been addressed, but Second Chance/Last Stand still remains albeit with the kill going to the player who put the victim in last stand. The maps aren't great but they're good enough and work well. the same playstyle can be applied to every map, but this and the addition of CoD points mean that the game is fair and equal for all. Black Ops has really modernised the franchise and brought it up to Halo levels of complete package with its new additions such as the complete stats tracking for weapons, kills, deaths, leaderboards, score, killstreaks- EVERYTHING IS TRACKED. Understandably, people are sick of CoD franchise in general so it has low ratings, but as a game, this is by far the most modern and polished Call of Duty game yet in all aspects. Expand
  52. Nov 30, 2011
    Good game, not inovative at ALL, but still a good game. Nice story (only 5 hours, if you don't know it) and great multiplayer. Zombies mode is cool. But, you know, as I said, not inovative at all, same CoD stuff. But way better than MW3.
  53. Nov 26, 2011
    It is very much fanboyism around infinity ward who took the series out of the second world war and brought it to modern day. However Blackops has a great story line and according to me a much better multiplayer then MW2 without a million tons of crap flying in the air. all respect to Blackops.
  54. Nov 21, 2011
    A great addition to the Call of Duty series. I've had this game since day one, and I'm very pleased with it. the zombies mode is very fun and the campaign is original and exciting. Much rather play this instead of Modern Warfare 3.
  55. Nov 20, 2011
    Favourite COD to date. Got everything right, besides some unbalanced guns. (meh) Gives every type of player the ability to play how they want.. Very rushed based to! : ) When BO first came out I would have given it a 3 or 4. But after a year and seeing MW3's huge diappointment, I will give this a solid 10!! great game treyarch! hurry up with BO 2!!!
  56. Nov 15, 2011
    True amazing experience online and offline.. now that mw3 has been released people will see how much off a good game this truly is!
    Its cool to hate black ops , i cant think for one reason why !
  57. Nov 13, 2011
    best of all the call of duty's 10 times better than mw3 rubbish keep up the good work treyarch hope you will be making another cod soon. im still playing it to this day awsome
  58. Nov 13, 2011
    Treyarch have out-done themselves,What an outstanding game, truly unforgettable. This game certainly show that Treyarch can deliver on the Call of Duty series. The Zombies maps were awesome and the Multiplayer and Single Player was fantastic. Nuketown is the best Multiplayer map I've ever played on any Call of Duty.
  59. Nov 12, 2011
    Love this game, and even more so since MW2.1 came out , Takes nothing away from this one, From Nuketown to Kowloon this one delivers high paced action....Multiplayer is a blast....don't listen to the haters. Just give it a few days you'll be hooked (I hated it at first) ....but I hate the killstreaks and quick scopeing BS, it's the only negative, and some maps are a bit small, otherwiseLove this game, and even more so since MW2.1 came out , Takes nothing away from this one, From Nuketown to Kowloon this one delivers high paced action....Multiplayer is a blast....don't listen to the haters. Just give it a few days you'll be hooked (I hated it at first) ....but I hate the killstreaks and quick scopeing BS, it's the only negative, and some maps are a bit small, otherwise good stuff!! Expand
  60. Nov 12, 2011
    it needed a few fixes, it lacked coop missions a la special ops, but overall it's the best multiplayer experience so far. Worlds better than MW2 and universes better than MW3. Black Ops deserves praise.
  61. Nov 9, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. The campaign is just ok. Multiplayer is very fun with a good mix of maps. Graphics seem great now that I have played MW3. I has a few minor issues but overall I would buy again
  62. Nov 7, 2011
    If there's anything I hate more than cats, it's hypocrites. Bear in mind that the following review is coming to you one day before the release of Call of Duty's next, and probably final, game, Modern Warfare 3. When everyone bought Black Ops, it was just about impossible to find someone saying, "Black Ops is **** in fact, I could hear nothing but glowing praise, praise that i'm inclined toIf there's anything I hate more than cats, it's hypocrites. Bear in mind that the following review is coming to you one day before the release of Call of Duty's next, and probably final, game, Modern Warfare 3. When everyone bought Black Ops, it was just about impossible to find someone saying, "Black Ops is **** in fact, I could hear nothing but glowing praise, praise that i'm inclined to agree with. But ever since around 3 months ago, it was like the entire gaming community turned on Call of Duty, and that's something that really pisses me off, because as far as i'm concerned, my fellow gamers all became the thing I hate most, Hypocrites. Review Starts Here. Campaign: While it maintains a lot less explosive, memorable moments than MW2, the plot of BO exceeds any previous expectations, I guarantee you'll play it through at least twice, probably once on Recruit and once on Veteran, and then there's all the achievements and intel, BO's campaign is some good **** Multiplayer: Since MW1, MP has been COD's undeniable focus, and with the exception of the less than loveable World at War, they haven't disappointed, the twelve mp maps that come with the game are the essence of variety and are endlessly playable, and to top it all off, a lot of the frustrations experienced in MW2 (Boosting, Butchering) have been majorly cut down, leaving only a manageable, minimalistic trace. Zombies: I guarantee this will have you coming back for months and months, survive for a.l.a.p against endless waves of the undead with up to 4 friends, buying new weapons and perks as you go along to compensate for the ever-increasing difficulty, Zombies mode is endlessly playable and undeniable fun, Black Ops' ace-in-hole. A must buy. ^The previous review was written three days after the release of Black Ops, but I decided to wait to publish it until now, and believe me when i say, I stick by every word to this very day Expand
  63. Oct 18, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops may not be as big of a hit as Modern Warfare 2 but it is still pretty good. The biggest thing about Black Ops is it's story, the story has a lot of heart and depth, unlike Modern Warfare 2's story. The story is actually memorable and so are the characters. However, this may be a falacy as with the action. The action is still good but it doesn't evoke an "whoa thatCall of Duty: Black Ops may not be as big of a hit as Modern Warfare 2 but it is still pretty good. The biggest thing about Black Ops is it's story, the story has a lot of heart and depth, unlike Modern Warfare 2's story. The story is actually memorable and so are the characters. However, this may be a falacy as with the action. The action is still good but it doesn't evoke an "whoa that was amzing!" type of feeling, it feels as if it has already been done but the story is still pretty good and it kept me interested, the voice acting and the sound are all stellar. The controls are like MW2's but that is all right because the controls are still really good. Zombies is a fun addition that keeps you playing and playing to get to higher rounds. However I wish that more types of zombies were put in like a beserker zombie or something, that would make Zombies more fun. The multiplayer experience of Black Ops is the bomb as the ability to choose your perks or gear is great, the addition of contracts makes the game all the more funner but I still see more improvements that can be made but multiplayer is still good. Overall, Black Ops is a game that is worth playing as you wait for Modern Warfare 3. Treyarch has shown with Black Ops that it can make good shooters and Black Ops is a game worth playing to quench your Call of Duty needs. Expand
  64. Oct 10, 2011
    Haters are gonna hate. This game might not be the best call of duty game, but in my opinion it has so many things in it that keep me entertained that it's definetley worth the $60 price tag.
  65. Oct 4, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is one hell of a great game, Its for anyone who is a fan of the Call of Duty franchise or first person shooters. Black Ops is a great game, but does have some flaws. First off the Campaign is one of the best of the series, it has a great story with many twist and turns, and strong characters. The Campaign just doesn't fell like a Call of Duty campaign, it hasCall of Duty: Black Ops is one hell of a great game, Its for anyone who is a fan of the Call of Duty franchise or first person shooters. Black Ops is a great game, but does have some flaws. First off the Campaign is one of the best of the series, it has a great story with many twist and turns, and strong characters. The Campaign just doesn't fell like a Call of Duty campaign, it has psychological type feeling to it and is not what a COD fan would expect. I'm not saying that its a bad thing thing to be different. You play as Alex Mason who has been hired to kill a Russian terrorist named Dragovich, accompanied by Frank Woods, a SOG soldier who in my opinion is a Bada$$. Black Ops has a lot of great missions, some that make you feel like you were dropped into the shoes of a Vietnam soldier, and others missions have you go to a facility where the soviets used to make Nova 6 gas during the Cold War. Next is Multiplayer which is what most people who play COD buy the game for. The Multiplayer is really good, but not the best in the series. It has a lot of new additions to killstreaks like a remote controlled car strapped with explosives, a pack of dogs to attack your enemies, or you can control your very own gunship. There is a lot of new things in the multiplayer, I really like all of the weapons and perks. There are so many perks to suit your own play style, my favorite is Perk 1: Lightweight Perk 2: Sleight of Hand Perk 3: Marathon. Which are all good for speed and agility in each match of multiplayer. The guns that I use with those perks it usually a SMG for added agility. Third is Zombies which is a round-based mode where you fight hordes of zombies on different maps, you can also buy the DLC maps like Call of the Dead which is my favorite map. In Call of the Dead, George Romero the director of the best zombie movies ever, is a zombie himself who is invincible until you get a certain gun. Zombies is really fun and there is a lot to do in each map. Now the flaws that I have found in Black Ops are when you are trying to kill someone and they are shooting at you, you can jump out of the way and be out of sight and still die and on the killcam it won't show that you even moved. Then sometimes you can shoot someone with every bullet in a clip and be reloading and the person kills you with one shot. There are a lot of problems but none that ruin the game completely. Call of Duty: Black ops is a must buy for any COD fan. Can't wait for MW3. Expand
  66. Sep 30, 2011
    With the short comings, bugs and glitches in the previous Call of Duty, I was apprehensive to purchase Black Ops. However, after playing through it for its entire shelf life I consider it a contender for the top spot in the series against World at War. There are still several issues with connection lag, hacks available to anyone with google and a USB thumb drive and naturally the immatureWith the short comings, bugs and glitches in the previous Call of Duty, I was apprehensive to purchase Black Ops. However, after playing through it for its entire shelf life I consider it a contender for the top spot in the series against World at War. There are still several issues with connection lag, hacks available to anyone with google and a USB thumb drive and naturally the immature and racist player base on Xbox Live. That notwithstanding, Cod:BlOps has turned into a decent game. The map packs and game modes have been refreshing and the developer listened to the player base offering new ways to play the game. It's too bad we need to wait for Modern Warfare 2 to (hopefully) resolve the quick-scope sniper, the noob tube and idiocy that is Ghost and Last/Second Chance. Expand
  67. Sep 28, 2011
    Though not a flawless game, I actually preferred this to the killstreak whoring gameplay of MW2, also it didn't get released with a slew of game breaking glitches and extreme weapon imbalances. The singleplayer was pretty typical in COD fashion as far as length, the storyline had kind of a cool twist at the end, but the singleplayer isn't where Black Ops really shines.

I love the

I love the multiplayer compared to MW2, for the most part the map designs are better, its much harder for a team to killstreak dominate, and many annoying perks have been removed from the game. My only gripe would be the iffy bullet registry at times, and lack of GREAT secondary weapons.

For as many people I hear complain about this game, none of the arguments are usually credible, it's usually player preference. "I can't quick scope anymore", grow some balls and make a real setup, I like sniping as much as the next guy but sniper setups should not be mobile setups. "The guns are broken" Really? The Famas and AK74 are the only two guns that really stand out, but are lame in comparison to marathon/commando/lightweight setups, or pre nerf akimbo 1887's, or even the spas for that matter.

"No more one man army" Thank god, it should of never been in the place in the first game, it just encouraged an already bad community to noob tube even more.

In my personal experience, people who are legitimately good at the COD series, especially those that really liked COD4, liked Black Ops and thought it was a general improvement over MW2

In conclusion If you have not played this and just hear people hating on it, they usually just tend to be disgruntled MW2 pub stompers that were allowed to do well because of how the game was terribly designed, and they were unable to carry over that strategy to Black Ops
  68. Sep 21, 2011
    Call of Duty's strong point has always been its multiplayer. However, I think that Treyarch has made the most original story line in the Call of Duty series yet, not necessarily the best one, but by far the most unique. Game play (as always) is great, multiplayer can be addicting, original campaign, top notch voice acting, and satisfying graphics. All around, it's another winner for theCall of Duty's strong point has always been its multiplayer. However, I think that Treyarch has made the most original story line in the Call of Duty series yet, not necessarily the best one, but by far the most unique. Game play (as always) is great, multiplayer can be addicting, original campaign, top notch voice acting, and satisfying graphics. All around, it's another winner for the COD series. Expand
  69. Aug 19, 2011
    Let me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesomeLet me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesome campaign,great multiplayer,great graphics,ect..but for one I would rather put in COD MW 2 any time of the day and there is still up to 100,000 playing that game online and for being a 2009 game that is where you see some of the brilliance behind it.Black ops is a solid 8 but the two before it were perfect 10's so go figure. Expand
  70. DME
    Jul 22, 2011
    The campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It alsoThe campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It also takes to long to find a match for Zombies. But Kino Der Toten is an instant classic and the dialogue (while repetetive) is hilarious. What's left? The heart and soul of Call of Duty... multiplayer. I am happy to say that Black Ops has the best multiplayer of any CoD game I've ever played. Everything (well, mostly everything) is balanced. Perks are well thought out. Weapon choices and attatchments are good. The sniper rifles are no longer over-powered. My only gripe is the FAMAS. The FAMAS is the most popular weapon because it is too accurate for the damage is does. Take away two bars of accuracy from the FAMAS and all weapons are balanced. Private Matches can be customized to a surprising extent. Maps are exceptionaly designed, but sometimes visualy-unappealing. And the 4 new Wager Match modes delivered even more fun. Killstreaks are better, but I wish there was more interactivity with some of them (eg. Attack Helicopters and Attack Dogs). I also wish we had the Predator Drone back. But the best thing about multiplayer is that Treyarch is keeping the place clean of hackers (yes, you may stumble upon one or two). The game is free of glitches (due to frequent updates), and has fast matchmaking. Overall, you can't go wrong with Black Ops. This really feels like a great end to the CoD series. But we all know Activison won't stop until they lose their customers. And after this, I don't think it will be happening soon. Expand
  71. Jul 19, 2011
    Despite what other people have said this game is extremely enjoyable. Weather youre doing more scripted over-the-top action sequences in the campaign. Shooting the crap out of endless zombies in zombies mode, or decimating the other team in multi player. This game is a lot of fun. While other people may say its a recycled version of MW2 I say any thing that can keep you entertained for 2Despite what other people have said this game is extremely enjoyable. Weather youre doing more scripted over-the-top action sequences in the campaign. Shooting the crap out of endless zombies in zombies mode, or decimating the other team in multi player. This game is a lot of fun. While other people may say its a recycled version of MW2 I say any thing that can keep you entertained for 2 Whole days!!! is pretty good in my book. Expand
  72. Jul 16, 2011
    well compared to homefront this game is fantastic. to start out with the campaign it is hard, intense, a good story, and is entertaining. the campaign is base on a black opps agent (Mason) who was involved in the vietnam war. i wont tell you anymore. next the online play is excelent. the maps are not really oriented for sniping but all wepons are good. next the wepons are very good therewell compared to homefront this game is fantastic. to start out with the campaign it is hard, intense, a good story, and is entertaining. the campaign is base on a black opps agent (Mason) who was involved in the vietnam war. i wont tell you anymore. next the online play is excelent. the maps are not really oriented for sniping but all wepons are good. next the wepons are very good there are many chices of supmachine guns, assalt rifles, launchers, pistols,and others. this game in conclusion this game is worth the money you pay but its not worth any trade in value but you wont want to trade it in Expand
  73. Jun 28, 2011
    To start with, I'd like to say this ISN'T a 10/10 game. I'm just giving it that to p*** off the blatant fanboys who gave the game 0/10. I mean c'mon, giving a game a 0 on the day it comes out? Because you've obviously played it a lot by that point... and lets not get into the people who mention BC2 or Halo... heres the thing battlefield fanboys - BC2 SUCKED. It was essentially the sameTo start with, I'd like to say this ISN'T a 10/10 game. I'm just giving it that to p*** off the blatant fanboys who gave the game 0/10. I mean c'mon, giving a game a 0 on the day it comes out? Because you've obviously played it a lot by that point... and lets not get into the people who mention BC2 or Halo... heres the thing battlefield fanboys - BC2 SUCKED. It was essentially the same game I played with BC1, just with a worse story and a load of boring MP maps. I loved BC1 though, and will likely love BF3.

Back to the matter at hand, this game is about a 8.5/10 for me - whilst it is essentially the same old tried and tested COD formula, it is by far the most balanced. Not having to unlock 'Cold blooded' is a god-send now, and is where the new 'cod points' system works best. There are quite a few new additions, but nothing to overly shout about, its just new perks, weapons, maps etc. As for the story, this was the best out of the Call Of duty's yet. It certainly was the most intriguing, and actually kept me playing compulsively to the end. Something a COD has failed to do since #4, which remains the best one of the series. Whilst you may think I haven't detailed enough new features to warrant an '8.5', I don't care. You have to look at the game on it's own, as a significant number of gamers will start with this Call of duty - whilst most of us old hats are privy to the series, they're not, and will want a more fair, just approach to the game itself, NOT the series. Plus it has Nazi zombies, which is just sheer beast! :P
    P.S. I do agree that MW2 is an overrated, unbalanced piece of junk - but don't punish black ops for the sins of the father...
  74. Vik
    Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty: Black Ops is the latest game from the hit video game series Call of Duty. It was rated 4 stars by Game Informer. The campaign of this video game is a sequel to Call of Duty: World at War. This game was designed by Treyarch and produced by Activision. Along with Black Ops, Activision has produced the other Call of Duty games as well.
    This gameâ
  75. Jun 14, 2011
    Let me just say that, looking at this website, it's refreshing to not see a bunch of posers who only play the newest and most advertised games hating on every other game, and finally hating on a new, advertised game. That said, this is one game I don't mind people getting rabies over. While there are a dozen or so other games I'd like to play, including one or two in the CoD seriesLet me just say that, looking at this website, it's refreshing to not see a bunch of posers who only play the newest and most advertised games hating on every other game, and finally hating on a new, advertised game. That said, this is one game I don't mind people getting rabies over. While there are a dozen or so other games I'd like to play, including one or two in the CoD series itself.
    The campaign is nice, though you don't learn much about the characters. Basically, the Russians have created a super-deadly bio-chemical weapon and you have to remember how to stop it's activation. It starts in an interrogation room, where you're told to try and remember what a cryptic set of numbers mean. The missions, which, speaking story-wise, are flashbacks, should take you about 15-25 minutes to complete, of which there are about 15 missions. The plot is good, with a few big twists, most of which seemed to come out of nowhere, but make you say, "What? Oh. Oh, yeah! I get it!". The zombies mode is back, with two built in maps, a mansion and the pentagon. Just as fun and addictive as ever.
    But as with any first-person shooter, the multiplayer is what everyone (but me) buys the game for. There are several great maps, including my favorite: a close quarters map called "Nuketown". The gamemodes include the classics like team deathmatch and a new kind of game mode called wager. In wager, you bet your currency points (called CoD points) that you'll come in the top three ranking players in the game. I don't like the wagering in this mode so much (you could win four times as much easily in a regular match without risking losing a couple), but I love the game modes, like "One in the chamber," where everyone has one bullet, and if they miss, they're forced to knife their way to victory. Every kill grants you another bullet, and it's a nice twist to regular first person shooter attitude which is, "Screw the ammo, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!"
    All together, Black Ops is a great game, and fans of the series or genre should definitely add this to their respective collections.
  76. Jun 13, 2011
    Well in my opinion the game as all other FPS shooters has it's flaws and and good points.
    This game was for me a favourite among Call of Duty games, being more balanced than 4 (and even more balanced with the patches). The game may not have the same graphics engine as MW2 or graphics but the gameplay is pretty much more or less the same. The multiplayer is the main part of the game as usual to modern gaming. Single Player to me is a warm up session before you compete with hundreds of thousands of people online in seeing if you are better or not. Zombies was a fun minigame since it retains much from WaW and improves on it, adding new elements and with newer creatures.
    The multiplayer killstreaks aren't as overpowered as MW2 , The nuke was just overpowered to end a match in a single hand, The weapon variety is actually nice (but stats with many weapons are actually similar). Camping is less of a problem because camping spots can be easily overpowered. Perks are also more balanced and less overpowered, such as Warlord (Bling from Mw2), you can't use the Grenade Launcher with anything else. And I like the COD points system, it's much like Combat Arms except weapons are kept. Many inexperienced players hated the MW2 challenge system for higher attachments but COD points are easier to obtain.
    The game is great and shouldn't disappoint an FPS player. Overall Treyarch had done a good job and is now listening to players for improvement
  77. Jun 6, 2011
    This was an all right attempt by Treyarch, could have been better. Graphics were alright, and multiplayer still remains fun. It just didn't have the same feel that MW2 had, which was a better game, and I am sure that everyone would agree with me. The campaign was just too much. It was just non-stop shooting and no breaks. It was like a rock song that has the longest solo, or seeing theThis was an all right attempt by Treyarch, could have been better. Graphics were alright, and multiplayer still remains fun. It just didn't have the same feel that MW2 had, which was a better game, and I am sure that everyone would agree with me. The campaign was just too much. It was just non-stop shooting and no breaks. It was like a rock song that has the longest solo, or seeing the same stripper everyday. I do not like zombies, personally because most people take it too seriously and make up a plan like complete nerds just to finish. I prefer Left 4 Dead over Zombies. Cannot wait for MW3. Expand
  78. Jun 1, 2011
    Yet again Treyarch tries to compete with Infinity Ward as the best developer of the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops is obviously much better then their previous game, World at War but like the latter, Black Ops just contrasts too much with the original Modern Warfare series we all play and love. The balance in Black Ops is much better then Modern Warfare 2 but the addictiveness severelyYet again Treyarch tries to compete with Infinity Ward as the best developer of the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops is obviously much better then their previous game, World at War but like the latter, Black Ops just contrasts too much with the original Modern Warfare series we all play and love. The balance in Black Ops is much better then Modern Warfare 2 but the addictiveness severely lacks. For many players the only reason they haven't lost the Black Ops disc is probably due to Nazi Zombies. Nazi Zombies alone I give this game an overall score of 8/10. Without it I would give it a 6.5/10 Expand
  79. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty: Black Ops è il settimo di questa meravigliosa saga.
    E' uno sparatutto in prima persona che affronta questo genere in modo affascinante, infatti è stato dichiarato ufficialmente il migliore sparatutto del 2010 ed è ancora oggi tra i migliori, con tanti milioni di copie vendute, però i rivali non mancano.
    Parlando del gioco non posso evitare di dire che è un capolavoro, ma a causa del cambiamento della casa produttrice c'è stato qualche disapprovazione su questo titolo.
    Quasi tutti i capitoli della saga sono stati fatti dalla Treyarch; ma noi ricordiamo bene il predecessore di Black Ops, ovvero Modern Warfare, esso è stato creato dalla Infinity Ward, ciò ha creato rivalità tra le due case produttrici e quindi l'ultimo numero della saga non è stato molto apprezzato a causa di ciò.
    Voi vi chiederete come mai siamo passati alla Infinity Ward e successivamente di nuovo alla Treyarch?
    Tutti i Fan della saga lo sanno; La Infinity Ward ha voluto partecipare in Call of Duty facendo un buon affare con l'Activision, ma voleva modificarne il titolo chiamando il videogioco solo Modern Warfare, nonostante ciò il ''Call of Duty'' è rimasto, così c'è stato un litigio tra perchè doveva starci solo una collaborazione della Infinity Ward che voleva andare oltre; così poi è ritornata la Treyarch ma noi videogiocatori sappiamo che è migliore la Infinity Ward è quindi c'è stato questo calo di approvazione nell uscita di Black Ops.
    Ma ora parliamo del gioco in se per se.
    Call of Duty: Black Ops parla in parte della seconda guerra mondiale, ma ne troviamo una sola missione, il resto si ambienta dopo, ed è del tutto una Guerra Fredda.
    Durante la Storia dovrai fermare in parte vari nemici intenti ad usare il Gas Nova, un gas capace di uccidere migliaia di persone.
    Il protagonista, ''Mason'' viene interrogato per tutta la campagna del gioco, infatti le missioni sono ciò che lui si ricorda e quindi immaginarie, dei pensieri dove non tutto è reale.
    Durante la campagna avrai degli amici che ti saranno molto fondamentale e di aiuto per sconfiggere l'Unione Sovietica passando poi ai nemici principali del gioco che si uccidono mano a mano si percorre quest'avventura di ben 15 missioni con una longevità che varia tra le 6 e le 8 ore, anche in base alla difficolta che come nei normali sparatutto è suddivisa in quattro: Recluta, Soldato, Esperto e Veterano.
    L'interrogazione su Mason è causata dal fatto che dentro la tua testa c'è qualcosa di importante.
    Infatti vieni scambiato inizialmente per infiltrato ma a volte anche per uno di loro, intento a collaborare con i nemici , tutto ciò si capisce poi alla fine della campagna.
    Parte molto fondamentale della storia è un'amico che conoscerai a Vorkuta, una ''prigione'' dove sei stato rinchiuso.
    Esso ti accompagnerà per gran parte di questa avventura.
    Dovrai viaggiare tra Vietnam e Cuba, dove affronterai molti nemici e trovare l'obiettivo della missione, ma non sempre sarà possibile a causa del buono intelleto o meglio della buona furbizia dei nemici.
    Affrontarli non sarà semplice, infatti bisognerà contare molto sull'aiuto dei tuoi amici, ma saranno loro ad appoggiarsi su di te.
    Ritornando a prima, da Vorkuta dovrai fuggire con la collaborazione del tuo nuovo amico di nome Reznov; sarà grazie a lui se ti salverai la pelle, ma non il cervello, ciò perchè durante l'interrogatorio il protagonista difficilmente si ricorderà tutto nei minimi dettagli.
    Ti immergerai, e dico ''immergerai'', anche in missioni Stealth, ma ciò non vuol dire che ci dovrai annegare.
    Di luoghi ne vedrai passando da case e città, a fiumi, villaggi e boschi ma non mancherà la neve e quindi le montagne.
    Il tutto con un'eccellente cinematografia che ti farà in alcuni casi immedesimare in Mason.
    Come abbiamo accennato all'inizio, una missione è ambientata nella seconda guerra mondiale, lì non sarai Mason ma bensì Reznov, esso è stato a raccontarti cio che avviene poi nella missione.
    Esso, Reznov fu un infiltrato che collaborò nella ricerca del Gas Nova.
    Il protagonista, Mason, non ne potrà farne almeno di pensare a Reznov, e quì che io non posso aggiungere altro.
    Molto affascinanti sono le missioni ambientate in Vietnam, e non mancherà il pilotaggio di alcuni veicoli per breve tempo, in particolare l'Hind, un velivolo.
    La fine della Trama avviene alla fine dell'interrogatorio, perchè l'interrogatorio finisce e quindi dopo che Mason capisce dove trovare la base nemica intenta a fare una strage, dovrai andarci e impedire che ciò avvenga, lì finira questa avvincente storia ma non accenno se con un lieto fine o viceversa; toccherà a voi scoprire tutto durante la campagna quando ci giocherete.
    Le missioni non sono mai uguali e mantengono un certo tipo di cinematografia che renderà sempre più spettacolare la campagna, anche i disastri e le tragedie non mancano.
  80. May 11, 2011
    Call Of Duty doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but why fix what isn't broken?
    The single player campaign was an average play. It seems that Treyarch wanted to make an 'epic' campaign, but for me, failed to deliver with a story that had trouble gripping me as I played through it.

The multi player is where the game truly shines. Once again, nothing significant was added onto the already existing engine, but is delivered as a very solid competitive shooter. Alternative Kill Streaks and the leveling up system have been implemented in a solid way, and aid the games re playability considerably. The multi-player maps are quite average, every map was well thought out, but none of them really stuck as favorites in my mind like some maps from the previous games had.

Conclusion: If you aren't a fan of previous Call Of Duty games, this is not for you. If you played one of the previous games and found yourself getting bored, this does not bring a lot to the table, and you may find yourself feeling like you're playing the same game with a few tweaks. For some this may be enough to keep them going, but others will tire of the same old quite quickly. Call Of Duty: Black Ops could be summed up as a solid shooter that risks very little by delivering more of the familiar game-play that gamers have come to love across the past few years
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    Engaging story, balanced multiplayer, good graphics, smooth gameplay, I don't see any of these problems "stated" (rather spewed) these negative reviews. The story has a lot more... well... story in it than any other previous CoD game. I guess the typical simple minded gamer rather would have a run-and-gun campaign without a story. The multiplayer which everyone seems to complain about,Engaging story, balanced multiplayer, good graphics, smooth gameplay, I don't see any of these problems "stated" (rather spewed) these negative reviews. The story has a lot more... well... story in it than any other previous CoD game. I guess the typical simple minded gamer rather would have a run-and-gun campaign without a story. The multiplayer which everyone seems to complain about, keeps the goods and throws out the bad from previous Call of Dutys. Balanced and fun, it contains a heightened sense of satisfaction when you win. Rarely any campers, and a simple way to counter them, this is probably the most balanced CoD to date. This Call of Duty also introduces some of the best features in game history to the series, theater mode, split screen online, combat training which is really fun with a friend in split-screen.
    Overall, I do not understand the negative review on this game and why everyone dislikes it so much. It's a great installment in my opinion and will be playing it for a long time.
  82. Apr 14, 2011
    This is hands down the BEST CoD game there is. Great graphics, great dark story, great crafted multiplayer (WAY better than MW's multiplayer mess) And i think that this might be the only game i acually would keep on my shelf for a while.
  83. Apr 11, 2011
    Great game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile theGreat game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile the third one is a secret . Very creative game but more of the same Expand
  84. Apr 10, 2011
    Maybe single player is some bored, but multiplayer gives you a lot of funny hours, if you like direct acction, Black Ops multiplayer is the best option or it could be Modern Warfare. Do not forget Gears of War multiplayer, all this games are pure acction. If you prefer more strategy, maps bigger, be able to use vehicles you should try Halo Reach, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Killzone 3...Maybe single player is some bored, but multiplayer gives you a lot of funny hours, if you like direct acction, Black Ops multiplayer is the best option or it could be Modern Warfare. Do not forget Gears of War multiplayer, all this games are pure acction. If you prefer more strategy, maps bigger, be able to use vehicles you should try Halo Reach, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Killzone 3...
    There is a lot of Call of Duty haters, but Black Ops is not only the most sold, is the most played in XboxLive too, so it is not a casual thing, Black Ops is a great game, it is not perfect but it is outstanding.
  85. Apr 8, 2011
    yet me get stairght to the point yh i love black ops on zombie mode hahahahah also i like zombie mode online if u want to add me on xbox 360 my gamatag is mahadz64 il'l be waiting see u later dudz
  86. Mar 31, 2011
    Gameplay: 8/10 Sound: 4/10 (Toy Guns) Graphics: 7/10 (outdated engine)
    Campaign: 5/10 (cheap non-stop action)
    Multiplayer: 7/10 (level up system and perks raise unstable online experiences score slightly) overall interesting game, fun for an arcade shooter, easy to "pick up n' play" but nothing that can sustain me for more than 2 hours at a time. Clear host advantage when
    Gameplay: 8/10 Sound: 4/10 (Toy Guns) Graphics: 7/10 (outdated engine)
    Campaign: 5/10 (cheap non-stop action)

overall interesting game, fun for an arcade shooter, easy to "pick up n' play" but nothing that can sustain me for more than 2 hours at a time. Clear host advantage when online and poor team balancing (looks at immediate score rather than user kdr). worth picking up only if your a devout COD fan
  87. Mar 29, 2011
    This game is by far one of the best outings in the famed cod franchise. Whilst opinion has seemed to divide the community on this game, I think that any fan of this series would be missing out if they don't give the game a fair go. In regards to the single player campaign, you will be drawn into the action from the opening moments- and the pacing throughout the game that never let's upThis game is by far one of the best outings in the famed cod franchise. Whilst opinion has seemed to divide the community on this game, I think that any fan of this series would be missing out if they don't give the game a fair go. In regards to the single player campaign, you will be drawn into the action from the opening moments- and the pacing throughout the game that never let's up from this point. Whilst the single player campaign makes no major innovations, you will know what you are in for as it is COD as it is known and loved by so many!

Multiplayer is where the meat is at for most gamers these days, and for myself- at 12 days played, it has been the most Addictive and fun filled online ride since COD4! as a gamer, we all want value for money, and this mode is testament to the amount of entertainment value one can get out of a game with such high production values. Innovations in this area includes much greater customization options over previous COD titles, as well as a greater freedom in how you unlock these customisatins. A form of online currency has also been introduced as a means to purchase equipment etc, as well as to wager on matches with other players

Last but not least the extensive Zombies mode returns!

Highly addictive, huge replayability and great value for money
  88. Mar 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decent story- liked how it tied in with the Stones song. Not as emotionally involving as World at War- but I'm a sucker for WW2- Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway brought me to tears and not for the reasons some bad reviews gave... Good set pieces- that crossbow zipline through the window from a tower you've just stormed was pretty damn awesome. Can't judge multiplayer as I'm a singleplayer campaign kinda guy. Only poor moment- the graphics on the boat mission.â Expand
  89. Mar 22, 2011
    If you look at this game as a standalone and not a sequel to arguably one of the most successful and profitable franchises in Gaming History, then it is a solid shooter. While plagued with early bugs because the Developer is known for being a beta hating, hype killing, bunch; the game still has a large package for $60. If you are a fan of the series and hate this one, your doing too muchIf you look at this game as a standalone and not a sequel to arguably one of the most successful and profitable franchises in Gaming History, then it is a solid shooter. While plagued with early bugs because the Developer is known for being a beta hating, hype killing, bunch; the game still has a large package for $60. If you are a fan of the series and hate this one, your doing too much comparing and contrasting. If every game is compared to a level of perfection that one game may rarely fall into, then only 1 or 2 games a year would even be worth talking about. But I will never buy another game with this much hype on launch night, throw a launch party, if the game didn't have a thorough open beta. Wake up Activision, stop counting your money for one minute, relieve some hype steam pressure, and ensure that you are delivering a solid product on launch day. Too many bugs for a AAA title launch. Expand
  90. Mar 15, 2011
    Call of Duty Black Ops, is another great game in the Call of Duty series, although some things could be changed.

The campaign was great, you met up with some old friends, you got some new tech and weapons, and you even got to use some other cool gadgets inside the campaign. The campaign even had a twist to it which made the story line even more greater and made you think. The multiplayer

The multiplayer was alright, but it could be better. It felt like almost all the other Multiplayers on other Call of Duty games but with different weapons, different maps, and different kill streaks. But it did add some new cool features including the Dolphin dive, or the prone dive. It even added more customization into the playercard, the player models, and the guns, but the multiplayer did feel the same and a little old.
  91. Mar 15, 2011
    Treyarch always make less better games. I loved the setting of the campaign, the story line was great. Unlike Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops can really reveal who is good at the game and who isn't. Not to mention the Zombie levels were very good, especially ascension. Overall a great game and I don't think you can ask for anything more.
  92. Mar 15, 2011
    You simply cannot miss this game. Just like almost everybody else who bought it, I thought i sucked too. But you really start to get into the game when you get to level 20 and you played about half-way through the story. Please do yourself and go pick it up, or don't sell it!
  93. Mar 15, 2011
    Well its good and i'll give it that, it ties everything the call of duty franchise has with a pretty bow and has chucked in what every call of duty fan wanted. I would say though before i rant about how good it is, do not get it if you havent got xbox live gold it is a waste of money. So back to the rant, zombies is a robust package and a blast with people you know and dont. I have madeWell its good and i'll give it that, it ties everything the call of duty franchise has with a pretty bow and has chucked in what every call of duty fan wanted. I would say though before i rant about how good it is, do not get it if you havent got xbox live gold it is a waste of money. So back to the rant, zombies is a robust package and a blast with people you know and dont. I have made around twenty friends just playing zombies and my aspiration is to reach number one on ascension but i do have to say at round thirty when it last half an hour to get to round thirty-one you do get bored so i admire you glitchers for your patience. That then of course brings me onto the glitches, oh so many! each zombie map has one and even a few multiplayer ones but i wont spread them around. I must say the campaign story is a pile of **** at only seven hours or six for me, the only reason i finished it was for the bonus zombie map because i hate cheating. The multiplayer is where it stands out though, everything MW2 had and more, the sounds with my turtle beaches are awesome and the graphics are stunning in 1080p, this has to be the best COD ever for me, i hope then next carries everything this has onto it. Expand
  94. Mar 14, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops has many things going for it. Addictive multiplayer, descent story, amazing Zombies, and great replay ability. Unlike some reviewers, I do not think Black Ops is similar to previous games in the series, except in the core defining features that make it Call of Duty. I, personally, consider this the best game in the series. That being said, It is hard to argue thisCall of Duty: Black Ops has many things going for it. Addictive multiplayer, descent story, amazing Zombies, and great replay ability. Unlike some reviewers, I do not think Black Ops is similar to previous games in the series, except in the core defining features that make it Call of Duty. I, personally, consider this the best game in the series. That being said, It is hard to argue this game is flawless. While the campaign is the best yet, the easier difficulties are altogether to easy. Honestly, in many cases you can simply sit back and let your bot allies take care of the enemies. The exception to this is veteran, which is extremely challenging. Unfortunately, there really is no medium difficulty for Black Ops. That being said, the campaign is fun and exciting, with a story that is surprisingly interesting for a Call of Duty game. Multiplayer wise, Black Ops is like any other Call of Duty. Addicting, but frustrating. Due to the majority of players buying Call of Duty for the multiplayer, I will review this section extensively. To begin, the multiplayer, like any other CoD, is fast-paced and frantic. Even though Treyarch increased the amount of damage you take, you still die quickly and you will not find yourself getting away from gunfights in most scenarios. In addition, the guns in Black Ops are disappointing. If you are trying to do well, the assault rifles are vastly superior to all other gun's, save the AK74u. That being said, in and of themselves, the assault rifles are balanced and each fun to use in their own way. Additionally, the sub machine guns, shotguns, and Light Machine Gun's are all balanced and unique, if not for the Assault Rifles outshining them in most situations. Finally, the Sniper Rifles are, sadly, useless in this game, and you will not be able to quickscope like previous Call of Duty's. While this may come to a relief to some, because Treyarch made only a couple sniper-friendly maps, the Sniper is a gun that could have easily been left out without being missed. Customization wise,Treyarch brings many new attachments, camos, perks, and kill streaks. Although some could argue kill streaks underpowered, all in all the customization is balanced and, depending on the different load outs you go with, the game can feel very different. Unlike previous Call of Duty games, the grenade launcher has a very reasonable blast radius and, when against Flak Jacket (A perk that gives you extra explosive resistance) its overall useless. On the gameplay aspect, the map's are fun and interesting, the gameplay is fluid, the control's flawless, and the graphics passable. Unfortunately, the spawns could use some tweaking. Depending on the game mode you play, you can easily be trapped in your spawn or, on the opposite side of things, switch spawns to easily and spawn behind enemies, or vise-versa. Additionally, the matchmaking is not ideal. In many cases, when playng with parties, you will get into a game with a few people missing. This never happened in previous call of duties and, even worse, you could get into a game that is already, in essence, a loss. Finally, I will address the zombie mode. Zombie's is arguably the best part of Black Ops. There is something altogether to satisfying by annihilating endless zombie hordes with a couple of friends. On the later rounds, it takes a lot of teamwork to survive. Black Ops comes with 2 map's, Kino der Toten and Five. Although Five is not as enjoyable for me, Kino der Toten is extremely fun and pack's hours of play. In addition, if you purchased the Hardened addition to Black Ops, you will gain access to the 4 zombie maps from WaW with modern weapons. While all fun, my personal favorite is Der Reise. Finally, if you purchase the fifteen dollar map pack you will gain the ability to play Ascension, my favorite zombie map. Ascension is surprisingly complicated for a zombie map, even coming with a side-objective to try if your feeling lucky. Unfortunately, its not easy and you'll need a full party of four. In the end, Black Ops is a very fun game that deserves your purchase, especially if you enjoyed the previous call of duties. Although the Multiplayer will surely attract most, be sure not to overlook Zombies and the Campaign. My only caution is that multiplayer, even the campaign in some parts, will be frustrating. However, if this happens just take a break and come back later. My final thoughts, great purchase, but if your not a fan of shooters I would let this one pass. Expand
  95. Mar 13, 2011
    Decent story for the campaign, but it's extremely hard on Veteran (hardest), including hordes of respawning enemies. It's even a slight challenge on Hardened.

Zombies is fun as always and this game provides the best maps yet, with more perks, guns and gadgets. Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2)

Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2) It can be a little laggy like the game depends way too much on the host. There are no dedicated servers, but you still get the solid gameplay of Call of Duty and Treyarch took away 90% of the cheap bullcrap that MW2, like certain perks, certain killstreak, stacking killstreaks and they even provided multiple Barebones playlists. (No perks, killstreaks or attatchments).

Overall, it's a good game. I would give it an 8.5, but since so many losers rated it so low on purpose... because they hate COD because they suck, their connection sucks or they miss the cheap crap from MW2.

To let you know how this game stacks up in my opinion. I'll list my favorite CODs in order.

1. COD2
    7. Big Red One
    8. Finest Hour
    9. Classic
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care forThis game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care for all of them. Reznov is the epiphany of the word badass! The multiplayer is incredibly simple, but rewardingly difficult to master. It'll suck you in and you'll get thousands of hours out of this game. Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2011
    While I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, theWhile I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, the only flaws are some technical issues like you and your enemies getting stuck in the environment, and some other weird glitches, even with those this is still one I can highly recommend. Expand
  98. Feb 10, 2011
    This game is the worst call of duty and heres why. The multiplayer is soooo boring. i play for 2 minutes and put in mw2. not only that but the story mode sucks theres nothing special about it. zombies is same as waw.
  99. Feb 8, 2011
    Visually very refreshing experience. Good weapon responses.
    No proper co-op mode; Only objective is to survive the zombies. Wave-defence; If and when the objective fails; Wave 1 with the same **** room all over again. One point off.
    Visually very refreshing experience. Good weapon responses.
    Really good improvement from MW2 to the campaing. While at it. Campaing was very colorful, a lot more details and improvements in areas. Still, found it too short, if a game can be played through in one night, its too short. One point off.

Score (8.0)
  100. Feb 7, 2011
    From a guy who has played every Cod game from Modern Warfare to now (except Wii versions or classic) and this game had a lot of moments that really amazed me, it might no amaze veterans who stuck with it from begging to end, but it still has a satisfying story. The multiplayer feels a lot better with the currency system, but waiting for that one gun to unlock to bu it is still the same asFrom a guy who has played every Cod game from Modern Warfare to now (except Wii versions or classic) and this game had a lot of moments that really amazed me, it might no amaze veterans who stuck with it from begging to end, but it still has a satisfying story. The multiplayer feels a lot better with the currency system, but waiting for that one gun to unlock to bu it is still the same as waiting through levels to get the gun. The gameplay feels solid and good, the secret guns are awesome, and Zombie Mode is a excellent addition. All in all, this is a must buy for new Cod players, and one veterans should try out. Expand

1. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Jan 30, 2011
    A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!