6.1

1. Aug 21, 2011
    single player has a few cool moments but for the most part it was just a shooting gallery, multiplayer was fun for like a year and a half and now its boring, this rating represents how well the game has withstood the test of time, like all classic games should.
  2. Aug 26, 2011
    After 2 years this came out I'm still playing the online as I did 2 years ago. Glitches/bugs are in every game, in this one they are just a minunum part. I love this game.
  3. May 14, 2012
    Just simple awesome the campaign is so so so so so good
  4. Aug 31, 2011
    This is the most overrated game of all time. One "cool" kid decided to play CODMW2 and now millions of copies are sold. A terrible campaign story (shoot bad guys hur hur) and overated multiplayer combine to make the a terrible game. This junk game stole money from countless good games and ruined the gaming market forever.
  5. Sep 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! hello! Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    Amazing game. Campaign was intense and very epic even if it was a bit short. Multiplayer was a mind-blowing experience.Spec Ops was awesome, The variety of missions from stealth missions to time trials are absolutely amazing. The graphics are very realistic and very awesome Amazing Game
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    By far the most fun I've had on an FPS. This game hasn't been thought through properly like Black Ops- as evident by the extremely flawed multiplayer. But if you're playing with friends and can see through the imbalances, it is very fun, fast-paced action which is rewarding however you play it. Single player is not as good as CoD4, but Spec Ops makes up for it. In contrast to Black Ops, this is enjoyable when you do even slightly well. But when you join a laggy game and there's people with SPAS-12 and chopper gunner spawn trapping you on Scrapyard, feel free to dashboard and break the disc. As an experience this game beats all other shooters. But the enjoyment is short-lived. The only thing that kept me playing for 14 days online is playing with people I know rather than on my own. When you're in a team, it's fine. Otherwise it's just frustrating. The same goes for Spec Ops. While it is very well done, the experience is greatly enhanced when played co-operatively. The campaign is good but not one of my favourites. Spec Ops is a better rendition of the campaign. Overall, this is an extremely fun and immersive shooter, but it's not the one I'd happy to spend playing much on my own. Expand
  8. Oct 3, 2011
    First things first, the multiplayer is the best. Campain, to short and stupid. Infinity Ward kinda screwed up with this game, don't waste your money. This is just mindless killing.
  9. Nov 13, 2011
    MW2 is a great game, the single player campaign is entertaining and the multiplayer is awesome. The single player campaign is great although with a tears in it but still worth 6 hours of your time and then the multiplayer is addicting, you can do so much that the fun never stops. Special Ops is a nice feature as well because it is thrilling to see how many stars you can earn and will definately entertain. Overall, MW2 is a great game, it keeps the elements of MW 1 that made it so great but throws in its own elelments to make itself unique. Breakdown for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Presentation: 9.5, Graphics: 9.7, Sound: 9.6, Playability: 9.5, Entertainment Value: 9.8. Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  10. Oct 25, 2011
    There is something perfectly special when it comes to the Multiplayer of Moder Warfare 2. Something exotic. Simply fits my taste. The Singleplayer ist good though.
  11. Oct 26, 2011
    A bit late of a review, but I haven't exactly had it for ages and have been playing it I guess for the past year. So a lot of the bugs/glitches should have been gone but not everything is "Great" even with the patches. So let us begin with the single-player! If I had to say it's definitely linear but I actually really enjoyed it. Within the first few missions there are cinematic parts which are "Awesome", and the AI is al-right. The only downside to it is the linearities on where you can go (you can't really flank any of the enemies). Moving onto Co-op, i found that fantastic. Just playing that with a mate and trying to get all 69 stars (managed to get them all) was extremely challenging but that was the whole point on veteran. A lot of teamwork actually needed to get past certain parts of the co-op missions. Now the multi-player is the main area in this game though. Initially I'd have to say it's pretty much a great on-line experience but not without it's faults. One of the main gripes is actually trying to pick the right host. Many times it picked the worst host and you actually lagged out of the game. Also kill streak continuation is a pretty bad idea, as it often led to kill streak after kill streak after kill streak. Quick-scoping is also an immensely annoying part of the experience too. Sure it's not meant to be realistic but using a sniper as a shotgun or even a assault rifle (M1EBER or the last sniper you get with ACOG) is ridiculous. It's supposed to be used for long range not every single range! Apart from them minor hindrances the multi-player is actually a great experience! (Minus the Nuke!). So overall it gets a solid 8 from me, but there are a few problems which are still in the game for me and will probably never get solved with the inevitable release of Modern Warfare 3 in 2-3 weeks. Expand
  12. Oct 31, 2011
    Ah, Modern Warfare 2. Possibly the most controversial game of the century so far, at least among the gaming community. There is a lot of hate on this game, which is sad. The majority of hate is directed towards problems that developers Infinity Ward couldn't fix right away. The community expected more, which was unfair and now these reviews are clogged with haters. But I'll do my best to review fairly.

The MW2 campaign is stunning. It was the first time in my gaming life that I have been open mouthed. I was blown away by the graphics and by the scope of the story, which went further than any previous CoD game before it. Sure, the graphics are no longer top dog now that games such as Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 are on the doorstep. But I always say that graphics don't make a game great, the game makes the game great. The story does suffer from cliche (Russians are the bad guys in every shooter these days) and yet does some new things that really impress you. There are moments too good to spoil here that Infinity Ward did excellently. The plot manages to be focused on the characters and the wider story, which many games have crumbled under. In short, the single player for this game is stunning. 10/10, no questions asked.

But the multiplayer disappoints. It has become infested with glitches, hackers and mods that have decimated the loyalty of the community and have seen CoD's popularity become sliced in half. Many weapons and abilities in the game are heavily overpowered and overused such as grenade launchers and various killstreaks. Infinity Ward appear to have become the victims of their own success, bringing forth too many new ideas thinking that the community will love them all. The multiplayer is difficult to withstand and brings this game down to a 7/10.
  13. Oct 6, 2012
    *UPDATED REVIEW* Though it may be better than its predecessor (Modern Warfare) and provide more exciting and impressive action sequences. It is ruined by it's poor narrative stills and repetitive gameplay.
  14. Nov 1, 2011
    The singleplayer is the star in this game because the multiplayer is absolute garbage. Which blows because you can see that the single player takes back seat to the abortion that really could have been a fun thing.
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    In a few ways this game advances the series, but in other areas it feels like a step back. The story mode is disjointed at times and the multiplayer mode suffers from some immense balance issues. Overall a great game despite lacking the charm that the previous installment had.
  16. Nov 12, 2011
    huh oops i'm sorry, i thought this was mw3, my apologies...same yearly infested piece of **** with no oblivious changes to it all, you do your thing activision :).
  17. Mar 18, 2012
    COD 4 was terrible, and this squeal is just as bad. Sure it looks nice, but beyond that, it is one of the worst game I have ever player. There is no part of this game that is fun. Total waste of money.
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    This is one of my favourite multiplayer games. It love it. I had huge amounts of fun playing with my friends and what not. Did you know that I hate Call of Duty? I love Halo. But MW2 was one of my favourite games. You should also know that I gave MW3 a 0. It is nothing like MW2.
  19. Aug 18, 2012
    Man they just keep coming every year with new boring maps. Same freaking game, graphics, gameplay.. **** feels the same every year. They are just milking away the franchise, Modern Warfare was the best COD they have come up with.
  20. Nov 17, 2011
    this is a complete waste of money
    askdfj'asdkl;fj'asdkljf ;asdklfj;asdkl fj;asdklfj ;asdfjk;asdkfj;asdfjk;asdfjk;asdkfjl ;asdfjas;dkfjs;adfjk;asdlfjk;asdjfk;asdkfj
  21. Nov 12, 2011
    Call of Duty is one of the most successful franchises in all media. It isn't as good as its fanboys say it is, nor is it as bad as it's haters say it is. Modern Warfare 2 is the 3rd most hyped game of all time after Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops and for good reason. It is a fast paced, fun shooter... at least when it comes to the multiplayer. Ever since 2007's Modern Warfare multiplayer has been the focus of the COD franchise with story and the campaign in general taking a back seat to the addictive online multiplayer. MW2 is no different . The story is nonsensical and generally doesn't make much sense but the campaign is still fun and has plenty of good setpieces. The spec ops mode is also fairly good and offers some really good, but short, co-op missions. The multiplayer is where it's at in MW2 though. It's highly addictive and has some really good maps. The prestige feature adds some longevity to the multiplayer as you can reset your unlocks after reaching the level cap of 70. The multiplayer has some obvious balancing issues as some guns are clearly more powerful then others but all is forgiven as no one plays it anymore no that MW3 is out. Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2011
    Overated piece of crap. Aracdy as hell and not even fun. Buy only if you are a series cod fanboy. Idk what else to say................................................................................
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    Serves us with a great story that gives a good continue on CoD4. Gives us what we missed out in WaW. personally I didn't like the quick paced multiplayer. But it still were enjoyable.
  24. Nov 22, 2011
    It doesn't matter how much controversy revolves around MW2, it's still an awesome game. The short, but awesome campaign, and the really good multiplayer. Even though it has a very short singleplayer and a spec ops that fails to impress, it's still great. Such a shame it was copied and pasted two years later in what became Modern Warfare 3
  25. Apr 14, 2012
    Modern Warfare 2 was honestly... Overrated... The campaign was fun, but if you use human logic, half of the things that they do to perform their job are impossible: such as waiting till an enemy isn't looking so you can shoot the other one standing three feet away from him. The only reason the campaign was any fun was the fact that I now know what happens after the first flunk in the Modern Warfare series. Spec Ops was a whole different issue... The producers apparently didn't know that two US Army Rangers cannot take down the whole Russian SWAT Force. (Me and friends laughed for days over their stupidity.) Most of the missions were overrated, but more than that: all of the missions were edited from the main story line and then put in like they were gonna be speechlessly better, a BIG fail on the producers part.

Another reason I got this game was for the multiplayer. I tried to have fun with it, but when you find out just how bad the anti-cheat system is for Xbox LIVE you will go nuts. A casual, everyday multiplayer match goes as the following: Spawn, sprint, aim, shoot, sprint, aim, shoot, sprint, sprint, knife, knife, throw a grenade through a random window, knife, and so on. Activision didn't focus on making the multiplayer combat realistic, it's too fast, too confusing, and overall just plain annoying. Quick-scoping, no-scoping, random "noob-tubes" were very annoying, and didn't keep the multiplayer action enjoyable for me.

Overall, I think Activision got themselves a hobby of making sloppy games, only suitable for retards who want to cuss each other out on Xbox live day in and day out. (Not to mention all of the **** who like it too. LOL)
  26. Dec 24, 2011
    In short, this game is an insult to the first person shooter genre of games A piss poor campaign with 2D characters, nothing really interesting or gripping about them. The campaign is also short. The multiplayer is broken and imbalanced.This is hands down, one of the worst multiplayer games I've ever played. Horribly imbalanced guns, rampant noobtubing, camping, and not to mention the ridiculous knifing range, quickscoping, and the inane amount of hacking. All in all, avoid this game, unless you like going through one controller a week because of the sh*tty, piss poor gameplay. Expand
  27. Dec 7, 2011
    The final true Call of Duty game. Major downsides to this software were the hacked leaderboards and countless cheaters/hackers that played. For some reason IW continues for the most part to ignore these glaring issues. Otherwise a fantastic and addictive game.
  28. Jan 5, 2012
    i think this is the worst of the series first of all the campaign is way to short the multiplayer is decent but not great they good make it better by making it longer of a campaign
  29. Jan 6, 2012
    So fun with friends. Late night games back in '09. Those were the days. After Modern Warfare 3 came out, I really appreciated MW2 and even Black OPS and how much better they are than the new game. This deserves a 10 for sucking a lot of my hours .
  30. Jan 19, 2012
    This is mixed because The single player and spec ops were great but The Multiplayer was very very unbalanced. Grenade launchers aren't as real life grenade launchers, they are noobtubes and they are very overpowered.Theres this perk where you can knife very far and it's called commando and much more.
  31. Feb 17, 2012
    This is the best game I have ever played with a explosive single player and addictive multiplayer. You may hear that this game is all hype but there is a reason why it is so popular. After investing more time than I would like to mention into it and buying other shooters such as Battlefield 3 and Gears of War 3. I would still highly recommend this game.
  32. Dec 3, 2013
    MW2 is one of the most overrated games of all time. Campaign is short and cliche, multiplayer is nothing but campers, overpowered killstreaks, unbalanced perks, and awful maps. Spec Ops is fun, but it doesn't make up for the rest of MW2's shortcomings. The fact that this turd is being hailed as the best COD ever is absurd, when in fact MW2 is one of the worst. MW2 is a mediocre shooter at best.
  33. Feb 23, 2012
    AWESOME game love everything that its about the story is great and the online like wow but it take long to lvl but its cool and i love quick scope and no scope when i was playing game but know Ive moved to BF3 its soooooo much better and funny and offers a lot more then any of the MW s
  34. Feb 16, 2012
    this is where the series of call of duty starts to fall the campaign in this was fun but no where near as epic as call of duty 4 this also the time where the started adding unfair perks to the series because you can literally sit in a corner after you get a certain number killstreak and the game will kill things for you while you sit in the corner thinking you are good this game had bad maps the graphics feel worse then cod4 and the blood looks like red rain when it hits the screen (thats not a good thing) the spec ops mode is cool though they added in a mode where you have to go threw series of challenge levels but all in all this game is adequat at best Expand
  35. Feb 24, 2012
    The campaign and special ops were both passing decent, but the multi-player was a painfully large step back from the brilliance of the original Modern Warfare. The guns were poorly balanced, the spawning system was horribly flawed, and snipers can carry shotguns. Snipers. Can carry. Shotguns.
  36. Feb 26, 2012
    The campaign was interesting yet unrealistic and sometimes incoherent. I liked the ideas it had, but its delivery of it was flawed. The online is great and highly enjoyable. Overall its a good game, but nothing to make it stand out other than the fact that it's highly addictive. Unremarkable, but fun.
  37. Mar 1, 2012
    I absolutely love this game and i also love quick scoping. If you play PS3 or xbox add me on PS3 I am woodley423 and on xbox i am going to be also woodley423 some time in march 2012so see you when i get it. i will also post a comment saying that i have live.
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    One of the most dissapointing games of all time. An awful awful awful singleplayer with a stupid stupid ploat. (Seriously, Russia invades the US over a civilian terrorist attack, wat?). A hilariously unbalanced multiplayer that was incredibly frustrating. Bad DLC map packs. I'll admit Spec Ops was really fun, but that was such a small chunk of the game.
  39. Mar 17, 2012
    Oooooooooooooh this game.... Oh ho ho ho HO this game... Worst Call of Duty game ever made. Bar NONE. On the plus side, you get the very well done and very well executed Campaign, with some very intense Stealth Missions, and probably the most controversial mission in any game ever. And by God was it awesome. Also going for this is the climax of the final mission. I won't spoil it for the seven people who haven't played it yet. Just go look it up or something. On the flip side... you get the annoyingly hard Spec Ops and the worst multiplayer experience I have ever had on a console. Let's start on the Spec Ops. There's nothing terribly wrong with this, but it's annoyingly hard, even on the easier missions. Having two people doesn't help either. So, it's not a very solid game mode. And then the multiplayer... god DAMN this game. It's has now set the bar so low for any online multiplayer experience after this that I can now find a game that is actually worse than MAG's online. And believe me, that was tough to find. Every aspect of the multiplayer was done HORRIBLY. The weapons are overpowered without stopping power, The maps are complete JOKES of themselves, and to top it all off in the proverbial **** of Call of Duty multiplayers, they capitalized on quickscoping even more. I'll say this right now, if you enjoy quickscoping, more power to ya. But quickscoping and trickshotting can die in a FIRE. I don't want to jump on a Search and Destroy match to see scrubs doing 360 YY temper fade shots off the crane on Highrise and **** themselves when they hit a lucky shot. And, I feel the need to harp on this even though so many people have before... NOOBTUBES. Noobtubing deserves all the hate that it gets, plain and simple. So, all in all, this game is a gigantic slap in the face to anyone and everyone who liked Call of Duty. While the campaign is very well done, the Spec Ops is lackluster, and the multiplayer is a devil spawn sent from hell. I do not recommend this game unless you are the most patient person in the entire world. Expand
  40. Nov 14, 2012
    Modern Warfare 2 takes place 5 years after the events of Call of Duty 4. After a calm period the terrorist organisations in the middle east and Russia have a new leader by the name of Vladamir Makarov. Bent on avenging Imran Zakhaev, Makarov sets in motion a plan that will bring about WWIII and place the world in control of the ultranationalists. The game does little to change upon the well established Call of Duty gameplay and offers nothing new to the franchise as a whole, however the story narrative the campaign has gives this game a reason to still be bought. Expand
  41. Apr 9, 2012
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is by far the worst Call of Duty ever made. The campaign is so bad and needs work and the story line is crap. The multiplayer is even worse than the campaign with campers, no scopers, quick scopers and people using cheats. Spec ops is easily innored and boring as hell. Campaign 3/10 Multiplayer 1/10 Spec ops 2/10 Mw2 2/10.
  42. Apr 22, 2012
    Good game. very similar graphics to MW1 and same guns. Great maps though. Overall, a very mediocre performance by infinity ward. Buy with a lot of caution. For hardcore gamers, this may not be worth your money.
  43. May 27, 2012
    game is okay, nothing special, more of the same.
  44. Jun 23, 2012
    From this game I can basically tell you how one makes a new Modern Warfare game: Simply take the previous game, bump up the graphics a little, add a few new guns, change the setting of the maps and tweak the storyline. and BAM, there you have it, a new, best selling game.
  45. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the successor to one of the best first person shooters out Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. But the question does Modern Warfare 2 live up to the Call of Duty franchise? Well you'll find out in this review.

-Single Player: The single player in Modern Warfare 2 is action-packed and a blast to play through and feels like a Michael Bay film. There are a variety of locations and each one of them looks fantastic, going from the favelas of Rio de Janeiro to the war torn streets of the United States. The story this time around happens several years after Call of Duty 4, and is about a Russian ultra nationalist named Vladimir Makarov who has sparked a Russian invasion into the United States, due to a massacre at a Russian airport., you being a undercover agent tried to stop him, but failed. The game itself does a poor job explaining the plot and is really focused on the action rather than the story, you'll also beat it in a heart beat.

-Multiplayer: The mutiplayer is the main highlight of Modern Warfare 2, and I strongly dislike it while it can be very addicting, the problem is there are too many game breaking problems for me to enjoy it, and I can create a laundry list of how many flaws it has but the number one thing that breaks it, is an s*** load of balance issues, from overpowered kill streaks to even game ending kill streaks that just break the action very often, dual wielding shot guns, explosive damage being too affective, places where players can sit all day and rack up kills, firing rates on weapons meaning that anyone can mod their controller to make their Barret 50. cal shoot like and M60, there are just soo many game breaking flaws that need to be fixed. There are also a handful of glitches in the mutilplayer that haven't been even patched years after release, the mutiplayer should've had a beta test period to iron out all of the flaws it has.

-Graphics: The graphics look decent, they definitely don't look as striking as World at War did, Ive seen better looking games than Modern Warfare 2, some places look awesome but there is just no enough to satisfy you due to the fact that in the multiplayer your always in small concealed areas. Besides that some textures look great on the surface while other look muddy, fortunately you see less of the poor textures.

-Sound: Hans Zimmer creates a striking sound track for the single player it's top notch and movie quality, and some of the best music I've heard in a video game. The weapons however just sound flat and sound like modified Call of Duty 4 weapons and the explosions are nothing special either they are ripped straight from Call of Duty 4 and are not changed.

-Extras: Modern Warfare 2 provides a fun spec-ops gamemode that you can play with a friend either split-screen or online, and all the missions have a good variety.

Overall Modern Warfare 2 falls flat on its main highlight, the multiplayer and is a real disappointment. In my opinion it's overrated and it's clear that the multiplayer is a rushed mess that should've been taken into consideration, it's a perfect example that sales don't make a excellent game. New comers may like it but for veterans of Call of Duty 4 and World at War will most likely not like the changes.
  46. Jan 24, 2013
    It's an alright game at best, the campaign is ridiculous and short, but has some nice locations. The guns are pretty cool maybe they could have included some more though. The multiplayer is very good, except its terrible: the multiplayer is ruined by grenade launchers, tactical knives, quickscopers and no system to boot players. Spec ops is tacked-on crap, recycled story objectives, this mode probably took them 30 minutes to finish. Overall don't buy it for the multiplayer (which most people do) its broken and players make it terrible the storyline is alright and spec ops is trash, only buy if you have some time and cash to waste. Expand
  47. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked the single player, it carried on well from Call of duty 4, the multiplayer felt great at first, everyone was discovering perks and good map locations, and it definitely was a great game to play, but later on, people started using the overpowered 'Grenade launchers' as primary weapons and people found out the best guns, and how to beat anyone that uses anything else, not to mention the people who hacked the game to get to max level prestige and whatnot. Even that being said, it gave a great adrenaline rush when playing solo, or with friends, was worth the purchase. Expand
  48. Dec 28, 2012
    This was the game that signalled the downfall of CoD; it over-complicated things and added too much unnecessary crap to the game that introduced the rage-inducing aspect of Call of Duty. What I'm talking about is the customizable killstreaks, of which many were too powerful, and features such as Commando and the overpowered grenade launcher setups when used with One Man Army and Danger Close. While the game can really make you rage like no other, this was still a highly addictive multiplayer that kept me engrossed and hooked into for more than a full year. Even though it signalled the downfall of CoD, it was still a great game in itself. Expand
  49. Nov 28, 2012
    This game wasnt that great you can run around the maps with knifes and ppl had superpowers and ppl camped for the nukes and there were plenty of glitches
  50. Dec 2, 2012
    The stupidest **** game ever. So many issues with it. You would think with all the money they were making they would have fixed these problems... seems like this game was created by a room full of monkeys.
  51. Nov 8, 2013
    Looking back, this was most likely the most well thought out COD to date. It successfully built on an already great game, while expanding the series to its full potential. As it only the second of its kind, it's hard to categorize it as the "same old annual COD" that the franchise has become today.

This game provided countless hours of enjoyment, and since the series was far from its
    current popularity, it benefited from a lack of immature children and a-holes, at least during the earlier half of its life. As such, I am also reviewing this game by its audience at the time; it wouldn't matter if a better Call of Duty was released in this generation, as the infuriating, disrespectful and childish audience of today would strongly deteriorate the enjoyment for the old dogs (I mean OLD dogs, as in COD2 & COD3 old). A game is only as good as the experience it delivers, and if this means that a 10/10 games is thrown to the wolves due to the unpleasant experience delivered by whining, excessively aggressive and confrontational players, then that is the rating it will receive.

Frankly, the end of this game's life cycle marked the beginning of the end for COD in the eyes of many players, despite its gaining popularity, which mostly came from the younger generation.

The campaign was a masterpiece, this coming from a gamer who has quite honestly despised every COD installment following WaW. The addition of Hans Zimmer for the soundtrack brought the game up many notches, and the Hollywood-style cinematics was somewhat of a first for video games (one which has, at this point, worn out its welcome).

To wrap things up, this is one Call of Duty that certainly deserves higher than the 6.1 user rating, at least for its time. The 9/10 rating I give it is only contextual to the 2007-2008 time period, and if I were to review it as a new game today (one which follows the crank-out-another-every-year formula) it would snag closer to a 4/10.
  52. Aug 22, 2013
    My personal favourite Call of Duty title. A step up from Call of Duty 4 in most ways, but that also means its relative simplicity is lost in the process. Singleplayer is short but full of action and set pieces, before everyone got bored to death of them. Special ops is a simple timesplitters esque challenge mode for coop play. Multiplayer is still buggy to this day, but my oh my, when its played as it should there will never be an experience as fun or action packed as this. Highly doubt that Ghosts will surpass the game Expand
  53. Nov 2, 2013
    [8.2] Modern Warfare 2 is the last good game in a series that quickly ran out of ideas. Modern Warfare 2 might be nothing special to some, but it has everything a good shooter needs. It's campaign is wonderfully well-written, and while it may be linear, there are plenty of ways to entertain yourself, whether it be playing on veteran (a very enjoyable challenge), searching for collectibles, playing through speed runs, and even satisfying your sick blood lust in an airport massacre. The multiplayer is generally less impressive, but offers plenty of fun as well. The maps are clearly well laid out, the action is intense (and constant, which can prove annoying to those who demand variety), and although the community in the game isn't generally friendly, it can be quite fun to interact with them. Lastly, the Special Operations missions are an endlessly fun challenge. Just with one friend, it isn't hard to play for hours against waves of enemies that make you angry in the most rewarding way. As much as you might not like to say, the game really makes you think unlike its successors. While in retrospect all of that might not seem like much, four years ago, before Call of Duty had repeated itself several times, Modern Warfare 2 garnered appropriate, well-deserved respect. Expand
  54. Feb 8, 2013
    CoD6 is abysmal in every way. The single player is garbage, like every other CoD. The multiplayer is unbelievably unbalanced as well as unfun. It's amazing that infinity ward botched this so thoroughly after making CoD4.
  55. Jun 27, 2013
    The most important of aspect of a COD game is the gameplay. The gameplay in Modern Warfare 2 was a refinement of the original Modern Warfare's excellent system. The guns feel great, each varied and easy to customize. The shooting mechanics are spot on with no apparent issues.
    Admittedly, the story can be a little bland and the multiplayer can get annoying, however the best part of this
    game is neither of those. It's the Spec Ops mode. Spec Ops is awesome, plain and simple. I'd spend Saturday afternoons with my cousins just playing Breach and Clear over and over again, trying to lower our times. It's a blast.

It's a good game. However when compared to other FPS games, Modern Warfare 2 just doesn't stand out.
  56. Jun 19, 2013
    This is one of the worst games I`ve ever played. Don`t buy it!
    Singleplayer: The story isn`t good.
    Multiplayer: One Map was blocked so you only can play it on a hacked server. That`s the second problem, in this game are many hacker and hacked lobby`s/server.. The weapons are not balanced just like the match-making-system. You have to play mean to get bonus experience so many players are
    camping, noob-tubing or rush with overpowered weapons. In this game are some mean kill-streak-rewards like the AC-130. The enemy players dies non-stop so you get no kills too. That means no one is happy (only the player with the AC-130).
    Sometimes it`s very funny but the bad and aggressive making moments are so much more...
    The developers stopped the support so the game will not get updates.

If I could I would give minus points for this game. Please IW update this game or don`t do mistakes like this again.
  57. Mar 19, 2013
    I had fun while playing this game with friends, it is undoubtedly exciting and fun to play. I mean who doesn't want to get to the highest level to get the highest selection of guns and demolish your friends? However there were many many many many more downsides than upsides. The online multiplayer was full of prepubescent little boys claiming each one of them has f**ked my mom. They also threaten to hack your account and get you banned, because they all seem to be hacking geniuses...*sarcasm*. The campaign was not as bad as those little fecks but I can tell you it was close! You spend the whole campaign trying to chase after this makarov guy, and when you get close.... WOOPS INTERUPTING SHEPARD COMING BY! This guy comes out of nowhere and kills you! and why you may ask? oh yeah... so they can make another game! so in the end you throw a knife in this shepards eye, and you know what you achieve? nothing! the whole campaign was a complete setup for the next game! well done activision! Expand
  58. Mar 17, 2013
    Pretty decent game when it came out. Overall its still better than Mw3, Blops 1 and 2. I hate how comanys make something new and then make a Triplet called Mw3 with the same Engine and Graphic as Mw2 and we call it 2.5 not 3. I hate how they make this game Mw2, a awesome game and ruin it 2 years later.
  59. Jul 14, 2013
    While it didn't innovate that much it's still a great game the campaign it short but intense the spec ops mode is actually very well done the multiplayer is still very addictive and the new killstreaks add some more depth but they are a bit stupid. The graphics were updated and so was the engine. There are lots of new guns and equipment and some really good characters (Ghost) but it just wasn't suppoted after release the glitches and the hackers Expand
  60. Apr 26, 2013
    Ok yes I know there is one highly controversial mission but you can skip it if you want to so I'm not including it in my review
    Also yes I know you can call this game overrated but it it still a very solid game.
    So: call of duty MODERN WARFARE 2 or at least that's what my game-box says. Whilst the single player isn't quite as good as COD 4 it is still very well paced and intriguing with
    in my opinion the best Call of Duty villain in the whole series to be found in Vladimir Makarov. Also I like the way the ending of COD 4 causes severe problems for the protagonists in this game. Whilst the setpieces can get a little too IN YOUR FACE!!! it doesn't get as bad as later instalments. Also there are some great twists which I didn't see coming. This game also has a lot of commentary on wars and opposing philosophies as well as showing what effects the loss of soldiers can have of commanders. It's also a shame that the sequel really doesn't have much payoff for the ending of this game (But that's another review). However a couple of things don't really make sense in this game's campaign but I can suspend my disbelief.
    Finally multiplayer is really fun and balanced and Spec Ops adds an interesting couple of missions in.
    In conclusion whilst not reaching the perfection of COD 4 this game is still really good and definitely gets a recommendation.
  61. Apr 28, 2013
    This was the first COD game I played.At first it was really fun,but then all the hackers and noobtubers have ruined the multiplayer.The campaign is the best in the COD series,the spec ops is great and the multiplayer used to be fun.
  62. May 22, 2013
    This game is the best of all of the Call of Duty series. The campaign set the bar for all high-production value FPS games, and in my opinion is still yet to be surpassed. It has great set-piece moments, strong and likable characters that evolve over time, and scenes that stir up genuine emotions. On top of all that, it has the cleanest, most crisp and responsive multiplayer, with the most straightforward and effective killstreak system in the series. The only thing that mars it from perfection is the ridiculously overpowered Danger Close perk, but that isn't as big of a problem with the community that is still playing the game. This one's in my top 10 games of all time (the only other COD in there is the original Modern Warfare). Expand
  63. May 29, 2013
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 has a fantastic campaign and added to it's replay value (without needing an internet connection) by adding Special Ops, or challenge missions that offer new levels of difficulty and entertainment. When it comes to the multiplayer it turns into a rocket fest as everyone uses grenade launchers and RPG's and blow your brains out your ass. I can't recommend this game for its multiplayer, but I will recommend it for its very fun campaign and Spec Ops. Expand
  64. May 30, 2013
    This game has to be the best new call of duty ever because do you remember all the new editing you could do with your class compared to WAW and Cod 4 this game is bomb the only problem with this game i would have to say is the famas, one man army danger close and maybe shotgun as a side arm but really in real life you could have a shotgun on your back so i think thats ok but mw2 has to be the best COD ever escpecially the b2 airstrike i rembember getting on and holy it was awesome even if it doesn't kill anyone its still sick Expand
  65. Jun 2, 2013
    At first I hated this game with a passion. Like I literally only played it because my friends wouldn't shut up, but then I played the campaign. It was actually shocking on how decent it was. The multiplayer really irritated me at first, but then when I got the maps down and my load outs set, I was fine. I still play it occasionally. Not the best, but probably the 3rd best Call of Duty yet. Thing that made me mad was that Ghost died, and I was forever upset. I was hoping to kill that betraying bastard Sheppard, and I was so pumped when I got to painfully take out that knife and throw it at the bastard. Throwing knife FTW! The more guns in multiplayer was a plus for me especially the ACR and the UMP45 love those two guns. The maps were good, some were iffy, but they weren't terrible. Good game as it is Expand
  66. Jun 5, 2013
    The Singleplayer is unlogic and boring. Special Ops is only funny if you play with a good friend. And the Multiplayer is full of quickscoper, camper, noobtuber, rusher The extras like predators unbalance the multiplayer.
    The most overrated FPS I've ever seen!
    You can't told me that this "game" is a 10/10 game.
  67. Jan 27, 2014
    Game is more visually gratifying than it's predecessor with special ops inclusion being a real plus, I am playing the game almost 5 years after release and still managed to rustle up multiplayer games with ease.
    I found the campaign more compelling than the first game probably simply for the fact that the story-line progresses on from there in a much more interesting and less cliche way
    blurring the lines between the heroes and the villains. Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Expand
  68. Feb 21, 2014
    Nothing short of an FPS Wonder, MW2 Truely delivers a unique sense that only its predecessor (Modern Warfare) can match. With heart stopping, adrenaline pumping single player, A new and unique Co-Op Spec Ops mode, and an online mode fit for the king of modern FPS, with a wealth of ranks, unlockables and experiences. MW2 is a wonder of video games, and is sure to sit there for a long time.
  69. Jul 26, 2013
    I know a lot of people hate this series. However, this was back when this series was actually enjoyable. Despite the hackers, annoying prepubescents, trolls, etc you will always have moments that you will always remember. This game wasn't made for the story it was made for the multiplayer experience. In fact, this is the only game in the entire series where I actually got to the max level without asking my sneaky friend to help me out a bit (hehehehe). Anyhow, go try it out and forget the new Call of Duty's. Expand
  70. Jun 28, 2013
    This game has all the ingredients that a shooter-gamer wants. The single-player campaign is an experience which any gamer will enjoy, even though they're not fans of games like this. When campaign finish (and this will happen very soon) you can choose to play alone, with a friend or online the special ops and you will spent a lot of your time in this, I can promise. After this, however, the most interesting part of the game comes with a playing-time that overtake the one of campaign and special ops together and this is the multi-player. I hope that you can play online because this is the special reason that Call Of Duty is famous. Great graphics, sound and gameplay for you to enjoy and a beautiful way for new shooter gamers to love more games like this. Expand
  71. Jul 2, 2013
    Activision's Modern Warfare 2 sets the new standard for FPS multiplayer. Its looks great, sounds greats, and plays spectacularly. Reasonable balance and fascinating map design keep the multiplayer mode something players can come back to again and again and again to this day. Modern Warfare 2 also revolutionized killstreak design, just one of numerous gameplay mechanics it improved on from its predecessor.
    The campaign is, again, improved from Modern Warfare. It looks great, and some missions even attempt an open-world-esque aesthetic with large open environments that force you to traverse from building to building, defending objectives from enemies that attack from land and air. Again, the campaign has great visual and sound design, and gameplay is varied enough to keep the player entertained. Story is told fairly well, with the most intense climax of any military shooter to date.
    Special Ops, Infinity Ward's answer to the Zombie mode of Word at War, is a standard mission mode. It can only be played with 2 people, something that prevents it from being as silly and "rompy" as zombies. This mode is enjoyable, but nothing more,
  72. Jul 10, 2013
    The singleplayer campaign is just a bit too over the top to be fully enjoyable and definitely belongs to the worse in the series. The multiplayer is of course fun, the maps are varied and well designed and the new killstreaks, perks and weapons are a major improvement over CoD4 (although its much less competitive now). However the multiplayer feels a bit unbalanced (Harrier strike, G18 akimbo, and that damage increasing perk in particular) which is odd considering the game is almost 4 years old now. Spec Ops missions are a nice distractions but are very repetitive and not exactly enjoyable. In my opinion, this is the worst that has ever come out of Infinity Ward (yes, including MW3) but for the price it bears today, its a recommended purchase people still play this a lot. Expand
  73. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is simply world class. In my opinion it's the best call of duty game ever. The campaign may be short but is still great and the multiplayer is also fantastic, simply the best.
  74. Jul 25, 2013
    This game deserves that, but there are too many trolls in the comments giving this game zeroes that i have to give it a 10. the single player was short but sweet, as with spec ops. the multiplayer had the potential to be the best in the series, with great maps and guns, but the community ruined it by using cheap tactics. search and destroy was extremely fun though because of the
    other people and the crazy times you had. Expand
  75. Jul 29, 2013
    Expectations: In only a few words I have no expectations for 'Call Of Duty' games. Scores: Graphics: 5/10 Campaign: 1/10 Sound: 2/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Multiplayer: 0/10 Final Score: 3/10 Final Verdict: The graphics put simply are average, the campaign is essentially what battlefield 3 would have been like if it was directed by Michael Bay. The sounds of guns and explosions in this game are awful, the gameplay is just above average because of the fast paced nature of it. Multiplayer in this game is terrible it requires no skill as all you have to do is choose the right weapon, attachments and perks, after that you're a near un-killable tank. Expand
  76. Aug 5, 2013
    My review for the last good call of duty game. SINGLE PLAYER: 9/10. carries on from COD 4, great moments with a lot of twists and turns. but it is short GRAPHICS: 8.5/10. improved graphics from COD 4, but no significant differences. still not bad looking, though SOUND: 8/10. good quality, but nothing outstanding MULTIPLAYER: 9.25/10. take COD 4, and improve it in every way. brilliant. didn't work so well for MW2-3
    GAMEPLAY: 9/10. 60 FPS, tight controls, few glitches, and good maps. what else could you ask for?
    FUN FACTOR: 8.75/10. fun game, but won't change haters minds
    TOTAL: 9/10
  77. Aug 7, 2013
    Almost as good as cod 4. The campaign was amazing and this was by far the best multiplayer. The maps were great and guns were great. No complaints about this game whatsoever. Idfk what this 6.1 bs is about
  78. Aug 10, 2013
    The standard by which all other FPS games should be judged. Infinity Ward nails it as compared to the awful Treyarch COD games. The single player campaign is a little brief, but it's very, very good. The multi-player is awesome. Great maps, great weapons, great graphics, great shot recognition, etc... Awesome!
  79. Sep 2, 2013
    I simply have too many fond memories of this game to give it anything lower than an 8.4, even though the quality of the game is significantly lower than that.

The multiplayer was straight up standard FPS which was quite fun to play with friends, and I have fueled a ridiculous amount of hours into it. The single player also had a nice story, and the spec ops missions were a lot of fun to
    do with a friend. Overall, the multiplayer aspect of this game is what makes it good, but over the years, I have grown tired of its standard, strict FPS feel. As my friends got bored of it, I ran out of things to do and I eventually shelved it. Expand
  80. Sep 7, 2013
    Second best title in the franchise, and the last true CoD to date. I understand the complaints of most reviewers, they thing the game is a copy of CoD 4. Yes, the game looks outdated as it's the copy of MW1, but even some of these critics notice, that despite the game's flaws, it's incredibly addicting. The campaign was in original MW's best traditions: bad russians, sripts and everything else. And I didn't expect much from it. But the missions still looked diversified, there are some good scripted scenes, and the Zimmer's soundtrack is just a masterpiece. Spec Ops introduced some good and challenging missions for you and your friend. Multiplayer introduced even more variety in every way, but the mechanics (back then) worked great. Best way to discribe this game: it smells like CoD 4, but the MW1's expiration date was in the future (back then, again). And, unlike the old CoD, it's still playable and there are some good games on all the platforms. More than Expand
  81. Nov 28, 2013
    this was the first call of duty that i have played,it is a good game but there is just a little difference between it and the first modern warfare,but after all it's good.
  82. Nov 8, 2013
    Don't know how this game could get a 6.1 but Modern warfare 2 is easily the best call of duty game of all time. Til this day I still prefer playing MW2 than any other CoD game. CoD Ghosts has nothing on MW2. Infinity should have kept west and zampella. Titanfall will be CoD's downfall.
  83. Nov 13, 2013
    COD designers have said they think a lot of players didn't like the choke points of the map and it made it hard for players to adapt to the style of play they gave, however unlike previous installments of the series the maps followed a formula of choke points on most (not all) maps. The major downfall of the online experience was initially boosting where players boost their stats or for titles, and not everyone was able to catch on to common hiding spots. However, the multiplayer experience gave players a wide range of unique ways to play the game through its perks and weapons. Campaign was on the edge of good but is still mediocre. The main focus of this game is its online play, the ability to have kill streaks count toward another and level up and complete challenges that gave you tags and boards that showed publicly between games in lobbies was fun. From a personal standpoint playing search and destroy on a map with choke points was very fun because you had to strategize with your team on how to capture/defend the objectives. This in combination with choosing different styles of playing the game (yes.. including noobtubes w/ D close) forced players to have to use a competitive mind set to be aware of their position while occasionally rewarded skilled players who could beat the enemy to the trigger made for hours of fresh play. Expand
  84. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good single player. A bit short but good. Despite the airport massacre mission. Spec Ops has lots of nice missions. Graphics are very good for 2009 but acceptable as of today. Multiplayer is as addictive as other games. Forget about the negative reviews and Ghosts! Go and buy this! Expand
  85. Jan 19, 2014
    This was the moment that this generation became obsessed with brown cover based shooting and it was a sad day, this game sold millions but did manage to separate casual gamers from real gamers with one question, do you play COD? Overall this is just a poor run of the mill generic title straight off the 360 conveyor belt of ****
  86. Jan 20, 2014
    This was the last CoD worth playing in my opinion. The multiplayer was truly well done. Honestly, I can't even remember the campaign. Probably proving it sucked. Whatever. This was good back in it's time. No use going back to it now though.
  87. Jan 17, 2014
    Cannot criticise this game at all, completely enjoy all the game modes and guns. Really easy to understand how to customise classes and I enjoyed the campaign even though it was a bit short. The multiplayer is absolutely outstanding and I bloody love it. Best Call of Duty game so far!
  88. Mar 3, 2014
    This game had the potential of being the best cod ever, except for one crucial flaw; the balance in the game is HORRENDOUS. The ump45 can get a 3 shot kill from any range, stopping power makes some of the guns far too powerful, death streaks are unfair, shotguns should not be secondaries, quick scoping is rampant, and very annoying. Kill streaks should not stack one another. You can SNIPE WITH A SHOTGUN. The model 1887 akimbo has unlimited range. And who could forget one man army NOOBTUBES.
    Aside from this though, the game really is one of the best titles in the cod franchise.
  89. Mar 30, 2014
    I just got this game and I will admit I am VERY impressed. but there are some bad things if you are a semi good gamer like me you should not play online the players there are EXCELLENT. unless you are an awesome gamer do not play Xbox live. But campaign is fantastic: snowmobile chases, ice climbing. turret manning. sniper missions. It will never get old I think MW 2 is the best COD game ever beside BO2 Expand
  90. MichaelV
    Mar 5, 2010
    Most overrated game of all time!!!!!! *Spoiler alert* The story is crap. They don't even explain that the soldiers you're killing at the end are part of a private army the General controls. I had to look that up on one of Infinity Wards formers where they explained it. The Airport scene where you go through and kill innocent people is almost completely pointless. This could have easily been shown in a cut scene. And if you don't do it the game completely skips over the end of that area which is the ground work for why all hell breaks loose. Plus, this scene of the game is suppose to have a lot of shock value to it. Making you hate the terrorists even more for what they've done. And then at the end you're not rewarded with going after the bad guy, not you go after this general to get revenge, because your team got set up for starting this war between Russia and the US. So, the terrorists go free at the end. Lame. The campaign only took me a little over 5 hours to complete the first time through and just under 4.5 the second. Thats sad. What the heck. What happened to making campaigns a complete experience? I was so pissed off at the end, because there I was thinking sweet, now we're going after the real bad guys. Nope, just ends. Infinity Ward was completely lazy about the campaign. I'm glad they didn't win Game of the year. They don't deserve it for this one. The only reason I didn't give this a lower score is because the online is great. It's literally the only reason to play this game. So if you aren't into multiplayer, do yourself a favor and skip this one. Not worth the full price. Wait for it drop down to 20-30 bucks. Then consider it. Collapse

Modern Warfare 2 crosses into the must-have category of video games effortlessly. It offers an unmatched shooter experience, a compelling story mode, a slick package of mini missions and a multiplayer which is pretty much unparalleled in depth.
    Modern Warfare 2 offers epic gameplay, a stunning Spec-Ops mode and a huge amount of adrenaline.
  3. Anyone who already has issues with the single-player ‘style’ of IW’s games will still find fault with the scripted, linear experience, but in terms of sheer drama and show-stopping set-pieces accompanied by laser sharp FPS controls, Modern Warfare 2 is your daddy. And that’s without Spec Ops and Multiplayer.