8.7

1. Oct 8, 2010
    Game is awesome. i still have the psx version of the game and have it on Arcade now. (i have no ps2 :( )
    still playing it now years later and love still finding out new things about the game
  2. Dec 21, 2010
    Excellent atmosphere, huge non-linear platforming game, great graphics that still hold up to this day, a huge assortment of weapons and enemies, giant bosses and one of the best video game soundtracks of all time. On the downside, the D-Pad controls are WAY too sensitive (e.g. you'll accidentally use subweapons or the spell "dark metamorphosis" constantly) and the game is painfully easy. When confronted with a difficult situation there's always an easier way through, such as turning to mist, a bat, leveling up or equipping some weapon that improves your resistances. Even without that, Alucard is just immensely powerful and most enemies take so little health upon impact that it's a wonder if you'll ever die. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2012
    How can anybody hate this game? They don't make games of this caliber anymore.The time and effort that have gone in this game shouldn ' t go unnoticed. The only thing i can complain about is at first the controls can be weird, I don't know how many times I would accidentally keep freezing time, or throwing holy waters. Maybe it's just me?lol..The music is great, The way Alucard walks looks like some funky disco/walking/dance, I felt gay playing as Alucard because of the way he walks but when you figure out the "Y" trick you don't need to see him walk like that anymore.lol. The acting is horrible,but who cares about that anyway? I have played many games in my day and this game to me is a 2nd favorite of mine, right next to Chrono Trigger. Expand
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    For a game that is almost fifteen years old Symphony of the Night holds up remarkable well. A 2D action RPG it takes the template from the Metroid series presenting players with a huge castle (home of Dracula) to traverse that gradually unlocks as weapons, abilities and equipment are (re)discovered. Being an RPG defeating enemies of course allows you to level up. Although there is no real ability for the type of customisation found in more modern titles this does make all the backtracking to find newly accessible areas slightly less of a chore than it might otherwise have been.

The gameplay itself is fast paced and varied with a range of different enemy types each with their own attack patterns to keep players on their toes. Evidence of the games age is certainly visible in the rather blurry graphics, terrible script and somewhat unresponsive controls (although that last one may have more to do with the Xbox 360 pad). To be honest this is a game crying out for a modern day remake but for now you could do a lot worse than give Symphony of the Night a try.
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    I think this was a classic sinse the PS1 was what the school groopies were yapping about. The game itself tells a story in it's mindless side scrolling, which is pretty impressive, and the fighting is well crafted. Worth spending your X360 points on.
  6. Jan 24, 2012
    This game keeps being as amazing as it was more than a decade ago, this port is everything that we needed since it keeps the gameplay unchanged and controls adapted perfectly and it has a really classic feel to it which is refreshing. There are many secrets to find in this game extending the gameplay and replay value and the RPG elements are great. The only issue I had with this game was the really difficult learning curve since its not the best game for starters. Overall this is an amazing game just like before at 800 microsoft points its easy to recommend. Expand
  7. May 27, 2012
    This game was pretty good. It felt a bit short though, I dunno I think i missed some secrets maybe.
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    I have given this game a 9, bearing in mind that it was released in 1997. The game is a 2D side scrolling action RPG and takes place in a massive freeroaming castle environment. Not that much skill is involved as the player can gain strength etc by earning experience and finding better weapons and equipment. There are lots of clever puzzles and secrets in the game. The graphics and music is also great. I thought the story is a bit silly and a player will have to make sure to read up on the internet about save rooms, otherwise frustrations will follow. Expand
  9. Feb 8, 2013
    SOTN is an absolute masterpiece. Get past the steep learning curve and experience its brilliance. After you complete the first castle, you'll be extremely happy at your purchase. When you figure out that you missed the second half of the game, amazement sets in.
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Having never played the game previously when it was originally released on the Playstation it was something of a treat to play through for the first time in 2013.

The first game I ever played was on the SNEZ and happened to be Castlevania IV which I still think is an excellent game to this day so I had a declared interest in
    playing SOTN. When I discovered it was available on xbox live for £6 I bought it immediately and have not been disappointed! I love the 2D graphics and the atmosphere. It works so much better than a lot of the 2.5D games that are coming out at the moment because the creature animations have a certain eerie or grotesque quality about them that only seems to be achievable in this sort of 2D. I just cant see Beezlebub or the Legion boss being as unsettling when rendered in 3D because I don't think the artistry would be there.

The game does actually take some getting into and I wasn't initially all that blown away. I think this was largely to do with a significant lack of a back story and being left with little to no sense of direction when attempting to tackle the huge castle map. This is a by product of modern gaming's frequent bouts of 'hand holding' however and once I slipped back into the mindset of the good old days of the more cryptic secret filled era of gaming I was more than happy. I will say I had to consult a walkthrough on numerous occasions, particularly in order to get going but since I've gotten into the swing of things I feel this directionless style of gameplay really suits as it allows for replay value and surprises.

All in all I feel this is a gem of a game however I feel it won't be appreciated be all gamers, particularly the younger generation who haven't grown up with some of the balls out cryptic ridiculousness that the earlier consoles offered. One down side however is the inability to swing your weapon upwards or diagonally upward, I don't know why this was present in Castlevania IV all those years ago but has since been removed.
  11. May 29, 2013
    This is definitely worth 10 dollars. While the voice acting is cheesy, the gameplay is addicting and I enjoyed exploring the castle. You're probably going to need a strategy guide as it is a HUGE game and easy to miss stuff.
  12. Feb 20, 2014
    Esse é o Melhor Castlevania de todos,trilha sonora,gráficos,jogabilidade.esse jogo merece versão até para o PS4 E XBOX ONE Esse jogo merece a Nota 10/10 É um grande classico do PS1.

1. It was, and still is, a gaming masterpiece. The term ‘Must Buy’ was created for games like this.
  2. Symphony of the Night was an amazing adventure back in 1997, and even after 10 years, it's still most definitely worth playing.
  3. With a mixture of open-ended gameplay elements, more advanced controls, and a gripping story, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the epitome of the side-scrolling genre.