Catan Xbox 360

8.0

1. I.B.
    Jun 4, 2007
    The tool from EuroGamer who had a problem with (gasp!) holding down two buttons (the horror!) needs to get a freaking clue. Lack of local multiplayer does suck though.
  2. rastykH
    May 4, 2007
    This is a great game. I love being able to play this whenever I want, and they did a great job with all parts of the game that I have seen. (I love the way they incorporated some of the "house rules" too). I own the board game, and that was fun -- this does a good job in translating it to the xbox.
  3. NickG.
    May 28, 2007
    Never heard of or played the original, but this game is a lot of fun. It takes a few rounds to pick up how to play, but once you do, there's a lot of strategy involved. Enjoyable both online and offline.
  4. AlexB.
    May 3, 2007
    As a fan of the board game, this version of Settlers of Catan is perfect. They nailed every aspect of the game. I was worried that trading might be problematic but the interface to do it works great. I love always having someone to play it with whenever I want, whether against the AI or other people. I honestly can't find anything to complain about, so it warrants a 10 in my opinion.
  5. BrianW.
    May 4, 2007
    Awesome game. Im so happy it came out. It only gets a 9 because of the bug in port trading after building on a port in the same turn.
    May 4, 2007
    The only reason I don't rate this a 10 is that the AI on Hard Mode, rather than being smart, simply colludes with other AI players to stack the odds against the human player (one AI will volluntarily lose to ensure the other AI beats the human).
  7. Graphitti
    Jan 7, 2008
    I really have to re-emphasize that there is no local multi-player. This was a huge loss for me, as I bought this hoping to play Catan with my wife. That said, I am hopelessly addicted to Catan. It's not always easy to find an online game, but I have a few friends online that play.
  8. AllistairP.
    May 4, 2007
    Board games are fun because you get to move the pieces around and hold cards and look at a colorful board. They are also a good time and make me feel smart (more so than GoW, even though I never win). So this version captures 90% of the things stated above. This is honestly a rip-off though. Not a rip-off but by no means a great deal. 3 board games are planned for release, so it would Board games are fun because you get to move the pieces around and hold cards and look at a colorful board. They are also a good time and make me feel smart (more so than GoW, even though I never win). So this version captures 90% of the things stated above. This is honestly a rip-off though. Not a rip-off but by no means a great deal. 3 board games are planned for release, so it would have been a GREAT DEAL to get all 3 for the 10 dollar price. Alas, we review the content and not the price (for the most part). So go buy it. Expand
  9. JustinS.
    Aug 14, 2007
    If you like Catan you'll love this game. It is fairly true to the board game. I kind of wish there were more board options (skins) and maybe some more music, though I do find the one song very catchy. The AI is decent, and the game is cheap. Overall its a good time. I hope to see some of the expansion packs in the future! (seafarers anyone?) Yes the guy from EuroGamer does If you like Catan you'll love this game. It is fairly true to the board game. I kind of wish there were more board options (skins) and maybe some more music, though I do find the one song very catchy. The AI is decent, and the game is cheap. Overall its a good time. I hope to see some of the expansion packs in the future! (seafarers anyone?) Yes the guy from EuroGamer does seem...confused to say the least. The controls are quite simple! Its a board game! On a side note, having offline play would be difficult. It would be like playing poker with your friends all on one screen. Very hard to keep your cards a secret. Expand
  10. CalebMonday
    Apr 29, 2009
    The only complaint I have of this game is the dice randomization. I seriously had 8's being rolled every other roll. That goes with 5's too. I advance quick in the beginning of the game and the a.i. "coincidently" comes back and wins the game. other than that great graphics,colors, music, and playability. Even though I lose because the com cheats, I come back for more to throw itThe only complaint I have of this game is the dice randomization. I seriously had 8's being rolled every other roll. That goes with 5's too. I advance quick in the beginning of the game and the a.i. "coincidently" comes back and wins the game. other than that great graphics,colors, music, and playability. Even though I lose because the com cheats, I come back for more to throw it back in the com's face...if it had one. I'm an addict to this game. Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2012
    Uff, difficult, this game is good, but some parts of the game are boring, Catan is a good game, with some mistakes, is addictive, but is so strange. Good game, not excellent.
  12. Mar 21, 2015
    The AI plays three players against you! The dice are set to give AI all the cards they need, I have tried this game for the past two days keeping record and it is clear whichever tiles the human needs are always the least rolled on the dice. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! get the board game version and play it with your friends, this version is a waste of money!

1. The minimal animation style underscores that this is the deepest strategy and most hardcore game on Live Arcade, if not on the Xbox 360. [Jan 2007, p.96]
  2. Catan is a slow-paced, cerebral game better played with friends than against the somewhat wonky A.I. Convince a few like-minded "siedlers" to buy and play Catan with you, and a good time is guaranteed. [mar 2007, p.81]
  3. One of the best reasons for buying a game like Catan on XBLA—which comes with a cost of 800 Microsoft Points or about $10—is that you don’t have to know the rules and procedures that well.