7.4

1. Apr 26, 2011
    Pretty much God of War with some different graphics and story. Very well done except in a few spots camera just didn't seem right but fully playable none the less. Call it "Cliche" but similar enough to God of War to justify a score of at least 8. The game is short (7hr) with little replay value as are almost all hack and slash games. If you take that into account and don't overpay (ie $20Pretty much God of War with some different graphics and story. Very well done except in a few spots camera just didn't seem right but fully playable none the less. Call it "Cliche" but similar enough to God of War to justify a score of at least 8. The game is short (7hr) with little replay value as are almost all hack and slash games. If you take that into account and don't overpay (ie $20 or less) than I think you'll be happy. Expand
  2. ShawnO
    Oct 20, 2007
    Fun Game, 360's take on God of War. Most underated game of 07
  3. DanA.
    Oct 23, 2007
    hells yeah - hack and slash like it used to be! no holds barred, they need to make more games like this, constant fun.
  4. JasonL.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Some of the best combos I've seen and ultimately fun gameplay wrapped up in frustrating boss battles, PS2 graphics, a boring story and annoying glitches. This game is about 6 hours in total length with no muliplayer or co-op, do yourself a favor and rent it.
  5. JonS.
    Oct 16, 2007
    This may be the bloodiest game of all time. It's an absolute blast to chop and kill your way through the hoards of hyboria. It's rough, true, but worth it.
  6. BrianM.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Game looks very much like the Dark Horse comic. I'm really enjoying the gameplay. The only thing that could use some work is the camera. It's something you get used to after awhile, but would have been nice to be able to control it.
  7. TonyM.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Must agree that this is a very underated game. people keep comparing it to god of war, which to me is not so...because this game has true physics system, there are rag-doll effects which makes a world of difference in hack and slash games and shooter games. in god of war, its all animated death scenes...every enemy dies the same...whats the fun in that? in conan, you can slice a guys head Must agree that this is a very underated game. people keep comparing it to god of war, which to me is not so...because this game has true physics system, there are rag-doll effects which makes a world of difference in hack and slash games and shooter games. in god of war, its all animated death scenes...every enemy dies the same...whats the fun in that? in conan, you can slice a guys head of and he tumbles down the steps...can god of war do a simple thing like that?...no. also this game has real weapons and not blades on chains and whatever crap that god of war looser uses. "the graphics are ps2" someone says below...i suggest that person to check his eyesight...or maybe clean his tv screen...because conan has great graphics, they are designed to be just like the comic books. the only one instance where this game may not be your cup of tea, is if you dont like conan in the first place. for example, im not so crazy about sonic the hedgedog...it wouldnt matter to me if they created a game of sonic that looked and played like halo...i still would not like it. so, there you have it....go buy it. its classic, its great fun. Expand
  8. robert
    Mar 3, 2009
    I must say i was debating wether to pick this up or not but boy am i glad i did. This is the most brutally fun game i think i've ever played. The ammount of combos rival that of ninja gaiden and they are all verry bloody and verry satisfying to pull off. Don't let the bad reviews fool you, this is an awesome,brutal slice and dice game :P
  9. AaronJ.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Odd camera angles, annoying jump and button sequences, and a really bad story would make this a 6/10. Add in possibly the most annoying and tedious final boss battle and this puppy quickly drops to bargain bin status.
  10. Conando
    Dec 17, 2009
    I can't believe how this game has a metascore of 69! Thats just way too low, when turds like Tomb Raider Underworld rate higher?!?! Conan is after all just great fun (albeit in small doses, a hour or two max at a time). This is a great button masher with a reasonable amount of combos and button sequences to learn. Makes me laugh all the time with over-the top macho one-liners, hammy I can't believe how this game has a metascore of 69! Thats just way too low, when turds like Tomb Raider Underworld rate higher?!?! Conan is after all just great fun (albeit in small doses, a hour or two max at a time). This is a great button masher with a reasonable amount of combos and button sequences to learn. Makes me laugh all the time with over-the top macho one-liners, hammy voice-acting and gratutious violence! This is a great game if you like slightly old school hack and slash adventure action. Not too complicated, yet there is sufficient depth (well maybe not depth but some evolution as the game progresses) to the button mashing involved. Some bosses can be a pain in the bum, but the game does give you checkpoints (sometimes several checkpoints for each lengthy boss fight). I would really like to see a sequel! Someone described the fighting mechanic "your turn, my turn" which is true - the fights go on like this most of the time so they aren't very dynamic. But things like ragdoll physics and the utter madness of the violence and gore of some moves give this a nice counterbalance. Also the graphics are slightly sub par, but on occassion they amaze - I was particularly happy with the 2nd level dragon boss. That was a pleasant surprise graphics wise. To recap, this is a keeper in my opinion, buy it for a bargain you might not regret if you like a simple but fun old school action adventure. Sometimes you find gems among games that rank low in Metacritic. To me Conan definitely is such a gem! Check it out! Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2012
    I wanted to like this game but I couldnt. Its too much of a God Of War rip off and does no justice took the series its based off of. Its insanely violent (which is a good thing) and it can be fun but an uneven difficulty makes it insanely hard at times (even on easy). Dont bother wasting your time on this game.
  12. JohnE
    Jun 13, 2008
    Lousy writing and flimsy, seen-it-before, button-mashing until your thumb hurts, combat really make this game a must miss.
  13. SteveC
    Jun 13, 2008
    If you're into retro, pick up this game. it's an awesome look at what action games where like four years ago, but in the wake of Assassin's Creed and MGS4. I really don't know why anyone would buy this game. I had to play it, my girlfriend bought it for me because i like Conan... not so much anymore.
  14. BillS
    Jun 13, 2008
    Wow. why am i forced to play a game from the 90's in this day and age. I would expect this from my playstation 1. Comepletely not acceptable now.
  15. A.C.
    Nov 19, 2007
    I have to be one of the biggest Conan fans ever! I was really disappointed with the mis placed Voice Acting for Conan. No one can deny that Arnold brought a true taste of exotic barbarianism to the character of Conan, which in fact was right on the money. This game's v.o. sounds more like a 21 year old California college actor than a true exotic barbarian....it really takes me out of I have to be one of the biggest Conan fans ever! I was really disappointed with the mis placed Voice Acting for Conan. No one can deny that Arnold brought a true taste of exotic barbarianism to the character of Conan, which in fact was right on the money. This game's v.o. sounds more like a 21 year old California college actor than a true exotic barbarian....it really takes me out of game. Some of the power combos are non reactive as well, you can do them, but it seems more like luck percentage of executed them than actual skill. Expand
  16. BDub
    Oct 25, 2007
    I am a couple of hours into this. For those that care about how much they spend, I should state that this is probably more of a rental. I was in need of a good action hack and slash and this filled the void. Had it came out after Assassins Creed or maybe even Beowulf i may never have bought it, or maybe i would have when it hit the $30 price tag. I don't really regret the purchase, I am a couple of hours into this. For those that care about how much they spend, I should state that this is probably more of a rental. I was in need of a good action hack and slash and this filled the void. Had it came out after Assassins Creed or maybe even Beowulf i may never have bought it, or maybe i would have when it hit the $30 price tag. I don't really regret the purchase, but i'm not exactly frugal. The game plays identically to Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King for the xbox, with improved graphics and weaker replayability (because you can't play as multiple characters or replay levels to increase your abilities). Definitely a violent game, which is nice. IF you are in need of some good hack and slash RIGHT NOW, get it. Otherwise wait to see how Beowulf pans out, and Assassins Creed is going to blow everything out of the water, but won't be just hack and slash. I don't see myself playing Conan much longer than a week seeing as Xbox is finally going to start relentlessly dumping awesome games on us in the next month (why couldn't they have spread these games out over the last year which was dead for new games). Expand
  17. MW
    Apr 8, 2008
    Fantastic game and a brilliant representation of the Conan Universe. Great graphics and good production make this title so much fun..it's hard not to love being the brutal cimmerian. A must buy for any fan of the Conan world or of simply enjoyable gameplay.
  18. Mar 6, 2011
    While Conan borrows elements from god of war it's ultimately not as satisfying, the graphics make it look like a PS2 game, and the voice acting is bad, which hurts the pretty good story, controls are great, the elements it borrows from god of war are the fixed camera which never gave me a real problem, and the brutal combo based combat, my only complaints are that it's pretty short, andWhile Conan borrows elements from god of war it's ultimately not as satisfying, the graphics make it look like a PS2 game, and the voice acting is bad, which hurts the pretty good story, controls are great, the elements it borrows from god of war are the fixed camera which never gave me a real problem, and the brutal combo based combat, my only complaints are that it's pretty short, and the plat forming sections suck, and there is no multiplayer only leader boards, all in all if you like the genre this is one you might want to try out. Expand
  19. Mar 26, 2012
    Conan was disappointing, yes, but what with the huge amount of hack 'n slash button mashers on the market today maybe I'm expecting too much. It just seems totally generic; the half-assed story nobody really cares about, laughable dialogue and unlikeable characters. The combat system is okay, as long as you're the one dealing out damage - the enemy AI is extremely poor, and if you take theConan was disappointing, yes, but what with the huge amount of hack 'n slash button mashers on the market today maybe I'm expecting too much. It just seems totally generic; the half-assed story nobody really cares about, laughable dialogue and unlikeable characters. The combat system is okay, as long as you're the one dealing out damage - the enemy AI is extremely poor, and if you take the time to sit back and watch them attack you, you'll see just how little effort went into it. The unlock system was fine enough, if unoriginal. There's a huge amount of gore, and some nice variation between the combos, but these aren't enough to really define Conan amongst the midst of near-identical hack 'n slashers. Add in the poor graphics and bug-riddled gameplay, and you've got a pretty lacklustre title. Expand
  20. Jun 21, 2012
    Conan is a really good game, the game helps you remember the glory of the PS2 days as it feels like it shares much of the same quality's. Great and in-depth Gameplay that also set you on an adventure. Really Enjoyed it Great Game !
  21. Apr 25, 2012
    This was more enjoyable than Dante's Inferno, or any of the God of War games. The secret sauce comes from severing your enemies limbs, watching all of the blood, and leveling up the combat system. You can beat the whole game just mashing X or Y, but that isn't very much fun. Some of the boss fights were a little frustrating, but less so once you improve at the game.
  22. Aug 3, 2014
    I have had this game forever and finally decided to sit down and play it a bit....I was surprised but I actually enjoyed this game more than I thought. The combat is pretty good but can get frustrating at times. Overall it was fast paced and fun, especially when you get on a roll and lay into a few guys....what was annoying sometimes though was the lack of AI attacking at times unless youI have had this game forever and finally decided to sit down and play it a bit....I was surprised but I actually enjoyed this game more than I thought. The combat is pretty good but can get frustrating at times. Overall it was fast paced and fun, especially when you get on a roll and lay into a few guys....what was annoying sometimes though was the lack of AI attacking at times unless you attacked first, just so they could block and counter attack or whatever. which brings me to the next one, the enemies that just block block block, until you break it. That got a bit old at times.

The acting was corny but overall I thought the story was decent.

My biggest complaint about this game was the difficulty of the final boss.....what a pain in the butt.

Overall (even though I pointed out most of the things I didn't like in this review) I enjoyed the game. worth the buy if you like hack n slash, especially at how cheap you can get it for now a days.
  23. Nov 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. Very satisfying hacking and slashing my way through the levels. The cheesy storyline was an added bonus! If you want a cheap and cheerful hack and slash game, I personally think you can't go wrong with this one.
  24. Jan 30, 2013
    A really bland third person hack-n-slash button masher. Nothing really special about it at all. A bit of a shame as the lore of the Conan universe is allot deeper than this. Overall: Nothing special, a completely forgettable game that is neither good or bad.

1. The lack of real depth to the combat engine means it'll never match up to the standard of its loftier genre peers, and the absence of any co-op or multiplayer mode in a game this demented is inexcusable, but it does make for a more shamelessly enjoyable blade-swinging romp than the similar but oh-so-dull "Heavenly Sword." And it has more naked boobs.
  2. On the one hand it's highly entertaining and almost obscenely violent and crude, but for a next-gen title with a next-gen price tag it doesn't quite deliver.
  3. Conan appeared on the Xbox 360 out of nowhere like a thief in the night, and like its titular hero, it is brutal, powerful, and very rough around the edges.